InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Anniversary ( Chapter 53 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. All characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi and Shogakukan Publishing.
 
A/N: Thanks to reader support, this fic won a combined total of four banners at the just-completed 1st Quarter 2006 IYFG voting. I am humbled by the response to my scribbling.
 
I am dedicating the wins to the irrepressible Neko-Lady, who I am proud to call my friend, and who is one of the keenest InuYasha fans in the `dom. *glomps `cat woman'*
 
The `Imperial Rice Planting Ceremony' is made up out of whole cloth, but firmly based on real festivals that take place all over Japan in late May-early June when the first rice seedlings are blessed and planted by traditionally-costumed celebrants.
 
A mild lemon alert for three-quarters of the way through this chapter, and some coarse language. Please be reminded that this fic is rated `M' for a reason.
 
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 53: Anniversary
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Present Day
Morning after the Sessaki/Kogashu wedding
 
Birdsong woke Kagome the next morning; someone had left the window open last night. She sighed, and wriggled backwards, looking for the warm, hard body that should be behind her…nothing. Startled into wakefulness, she rolled over to find the hanyou's side of the bed empty. The sheets were cool, indicating that he'd been gone for at least a little while. At the moment she sat up, Inuyasha flew in the window, bare-chested and wearing only his hakama and a large smirk.
 
“Good morning, wench. Sleep well?” He bounced on the balls of his feet, hair swishing, eyes sparkling with good humour, and then pounced, scooping her off the bed, blanket and all, then swung her around until she was dizzy.
 
“Inuyasha! What's got into you?” She was wide-eyed and breathless when he let her toes touch the floor; he just grinned, wound the blanket around her naked body, held her tight and took them both back out the window. “Eeeeep! Wha…?”
 
They were in the Goshinboku before she could finish her question, and she was pinned up against the trunk by a happily growling hanyou who proceeded to cover her bare shoulders with kisses. Unable to move her arms, she could only submit when the kisses slowed and became lingering, tracing up her throat, around the shell of her ear, across her cheek until his lips lightly brushed her own. Her knees suddenly felt weak, and she opened her eyes to see a heavy-lidded hanyou twirling a lock of her hair around his claw and smiling a very sexy smile. He leaned in, rubbed noses with her, and kissed her again. She parted her lips, inviting him in, and he soon had her trying to free her arms to wrap them around him. He laughed softly against her mouth, and then the blanket was sliding down over her hips, the rough bark prickling her back…and scraping against her injury.
 
Ouch! Owww…that's a mood killer for sure…” She winced; Inuyasha was instantly contrite.
 
“Sorry, koishii…here, let me…” he carefully changed positions with her, and guided her into his lap as he sat down on the tree limb. Tucking her against his chest, he swaddled the blanket around her as she wriggled back into his skin. They sat up there for quite a while, listening to the twittering birds and watching the patterns created by the sunlight dappling the fresh green leaves of the venerable tree. Kagome sighed happily and smiled up at her hanyou.
 
“This is really nice…thank you.”
 
He cuddled her closer and kissed her forehead. “After all the shit that happened on the other side, we need some downtime. Your arm should be healed before we go back, anyways, so no rush to be anywhere…”
 
“That seems strange, coming from you.”
 
“Whaddya mean?”
 
“You're always pushing to go find more shards…”
 
He hugged her firmly and kissed the crook of her neck. “I first wanted the shards to fix the damn Jewel so I could become a full demon; don't exactly need that now, so now I want `em before Naraku gets his hands on them. I don't like the thought of innocent people being injured or killed because they came into contact with them.”
 
Kagome twisted so that she could look up into his face. “Really? Then how come you get so grumpy when we stop to help people?”
 
“Any delay gives Naraku a chance to grab more. If we're not careful, he'll end up with all of them, and be nearly unstoppable.”
 
“Mmm. That's why you and Sesshomaru have to get on side with me…”
 
Inuyasha snorted. “Keh! I still say you're out of your mind, if you think that self-absorbed, arrogant bastard would ever help us.”
 
Kagome was quiet for a moment, remembering Sessaki's tender embrace of his daughter…the child born of his and Rin's love. “I'm sure that he'll come around. I have a feeling…”
 
“You must be feverish; I'd better go get your medicine.”
 
Kagome had to giggle, and instead of retrieving her antibiotics, his hands darted under the covering blanket to stroke and caress her bare skin, and he quickly had her squirming. A stray thought tickled him before they decided to test their balance on the branch any further.
 
“Do you know where your mother and brother are?”
 
Kagome went very still. “She isn't home yet?”
 
“I checked the house again this morning. Your ojii-chan is out poking around in the storage shed and grousing about his head; I think he drank a fair bit of sake last night. Sota's bed is empty, too…”
 
“Sota stayed overnight because he and Akagane were babysitting her little brothers; her parents were at the same wedding that I was. My mom…” she trailed off, wondering what to tell him, and how much.
 
“Your mom…?” he prompted, resting his chin on the top of her head.
 
“She…had a date with one of the other guests…”
 
“You mean she was with a male? Unchaperoned?” A growl erupted against the back of her head.
 
Kagome quickly caught his hand, which was flexing in a rather prickling manner on her hip. “Why not? She's a grown woman, my dad passed away years ago…if he makes her happy…”
 
“He'll have to go through me, first.”
 
“You aren't her father, Inuyasha.” Kagome tried very, very hard not to giggle again, remembering Yashita's response to Gitoumaru's appearance at her mother's side.
 
“No, but she's part of our pack, and he has to meet with my approval.” His tone brooked no argument.
 
Kagome snickered. “Good luck with that. Make sure you're wearing your fire-rat when you do your `alpha male' thing with my mom. And holding Tetsusaiga.”
 
“Keh! Aren't you going to back me up on this?”
 
“I'll be looking for a place to hide, dog-boy. Let me know when you're going to take your life in your hands, and I'll skip through the well…”
 
“Car coming…” His whole body tensed, and he went on alert, eyes intent, ears pricked forward, inhaling deeply. Kagome held still and admired his predatory transformation. She could just see, through the gently tossing branches, Shimano's sedan entering the courtyard….and desperately hoped that the kitsune was wearing his concealment spell. In the next moment, she saw her grandfather toddling towards the car, and knew that she was saved. Inuyasha relaxed, and gentled his grip on her. “It's the runt and your mom, plus that `Shimano' guy.”
 
Sota and Kioko Higurashi piled out of the car, cheerfully greeted the old man, and then called goodbyes and thanks to the driver, who waved and backed away. Kagome noted that her mother seemed to be in a very good mood…and then her stomach flipped over as she realized exactly why her mother might be extra-happy this morning.
 
She wasn't sure whether to hope that nothing had happened and they'd just sat up all night talking, or that Gitoumaru was wearing his concealment spell, coveralls, gloves and a condom during an act of passion, or that her mother had showered thoroughly afterward, or all of the above. Yashita's going to freak…!
 
“Okaa-san seems really happy this morning,” Inuyasha observed, then went very still as the same thought occurred to him as to Kagome, just on a different level. The hanyou's head snapped towards her so fast that she was whipped with some of his hair. “Do you think she mated with him?” He sounded so horrified that she rubbed his arm soothingly.
 
“If she did, it's her business, Inuyasha; stop growling. She doesn't need your approval for that; it isn't the same for humans…” Oh, but Gitoumaru is…uh-oh.
 
“Kagome, your mother is still young…she could have a pup, you know.” He was deadly serious.
 
“I'll have a talk to her about that.” She managed to say that with a straight face, and the hanyou nodded in agreement before gathering her up and launching them off the branch, taking them back into her room where he proceeded to unwrap her and kiss her in intimate ways. They reluctantly untangled themselves, got dressed and went downstairs, where Mrs. Higurashi was humming happily in the kitchen. She turned towards them, all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
 
“Good morning! Isn't it a beautiful day?” she chirped, and continued with breakfast preparations. Kagome and Inuyasha looked at each other; the hanyou set his jaw, his eyes gone hard. The girl hastily intervened, shooting him a warning look.
 
“It is, mom. Need some help?”
 
“That would be lovely, Kagome…Inuyasha! This was an unusual turn of events, wouldn't you say?”
 
“Uh…what?”
 
“Well, usually it's you laid up with an injury, and this time it's Kagome. I hope that she doesn't make it a habit!” Chuckling at her own humour, and then humming some more, Kioko turned back to preparing the rice and miso. Inuyasha shook his head as if to clear it, then headed for the door.
 
“Um…I'll see if the old man needs any help, since the gates aren't open yet.” Instead of seeking out Ojii-chan, who already was fussing at Sota, he went up the Goshinboku. Okaa-san smelled odd…I can't quite put a claw on it, though…not mated, butlike she'd been cleaning something…?
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Hello, Kagome!” Sango's cheerful voice sang out as the fleece-clad girl and the hanyou landed on the grass of the well meadow.
 
“Hi, Sango…Miroku…are you two the welcoming committee?”
 
“Just out for a walk, and waiting for you. Kaede-sama has some stew bubbling…”
 
“I brought rice custard for dessert.”
 
“Did you make it yourself, Kagome-sama?” Miroku peered at the container Kagome carried.
 
“Don't sound so nervous, houshi-doushi. My mother supervised, since the most strenuous thing I'm allowed to do these days is learn to cook…”
 
“I meant no insult, Kagome-sama. Those onigiri you made yesterday were delicious…”
 
“My mother made those.” Her voice was flat; Miroku gulped and backed up a bit.
 
“Keh! Let's go…time's a-wastin'!” Inuyasha tugged her forward, and she had the satisfaction of hearing Sango's fist thump into Miroku's arm.
 
As they descended the stairs to the path, Kagome admired the flooded rice paddies that were the life-blood of the village, their still surfaces reflecting the pink-tinged clouds and darkening sky of evening. “It looks like today's planting went well.”
 
“It went much faster than usual, the elders tell me, because of Inuyasha's help.”
 
“Keh.”
 
“Don't be bashful, Inuyasha. Your ability to plant rice seedlings correctly and rapidly will be legendary in a few seasons, much like your tree-felling last fall.” Miroku grinned, and risked a look in Kagome's direction, to see if the smoke was still coming out her ears.
 
“I wish I could have helped…” Kagome shifted her grip on the container; Inuyasha took it away and tucked it under his arm. She had to stifle a growl. “Look, I'm hardly an invalid…!”
 
Sango spoke quietly. “I know how sharp that sickle is; if you hadn't had treatment from the healers in your time, you might have lost your arm.”
 
Kagome sighed. It had been the same all week. The day after the wedding, over Inuyasha's strenuous objections, she'd insisted on going back through the well to see Miroku, Sango and Shippo. Much to her surprise, especially after Inuyasha had told Kaede about her needing special medicine to protect her arm, they had all ganged up on her and told her to stay on her side of the well until she was healed. She was allowed back in the evenings for a brief visit, but not to stay.
 
Not that there was much choice in sleeping arrangements, anyways. Sango and Miroku had taken over the refitted storage shed the first night she'd administered the birth control to the slayer. They both gravely acknowledged the instructions and cautions…and went anyways. Kagome had been on pins and needles, worrying, until Inuyasha came back through the next evening and told her that they hadn't done anything…their scents were all over each other, but not that particular scent.
 
“The stitches come out tomorrow…the medics were impressed with your expertise, Miroku. Thanks again for that.”
 
“While I appreciate your praise, you will understand when I say that I hope my skills are not called upon again any time soon.” The monk's voice held tension, and they all had a brief moment of remembrance.
 
“It's amazing how quickly your back healed up, though.” Sango slipped her arm through Miroku's; he smiled contentedly down at her.
 
“Keh. You lot talk too much. Hurry up!” With that, Inuyasha took off in the direction of Kaede's hut and vanished under the flap.
 
Kagome chuckled. The slash on her back had been treated to twice-daily applications of hanyou saliva; even though she suspected that it didn't really help it to heal any faster, giving in earned her some serious snuggle-time with a very attentive Inuyasha, so she wasn't about to complain…or embarrass him by passing on the `secret' remedy. “I've always healed fairly quickly, from the effects of the Jewel being inside my body for all those years.”
 
“Kagome!” A furry-tailed blur flew out the door, but instead of flinging himself at her, Shippo skidded to a halt at her feet and waited for her to pick him up. They both heard Inuyasha's grunt of approval; Kagome gave Shippo a hug and they entered the hut, where Kaede's one fierce eye softened when she saw the younger miko's bright smile.
 
“Good eve, Kagome-sama. Are ye well?”
 
“Much better, Kaede. I'll wait for word from the healers tomorrow as to whether I'm battle-ready…
“Oi, wench. Your arm isn't in any shape to be pulling back a bow yet; we'll wait until it is. Like I told you before, we're not in a rush.”
 
“Besides, with your shards on the other side of the well, no demon is going to bother us.” Shippo chimed in, then bowls were passed around, and the evening meal began. They stayed for a couple of hours each night while Kaede gave Kagome brief lessons in herbs or healing techniques. Sometimes there were patients to visit, and Kagome always accompanied the older miko on her rounds, trying to learn as much as possible, if there ever came a time when her own supplies ran out and she had to make do. Meanwhile, the hanyou and the monk, with the assistance of a few villagers, would bring the supplies from the Armoury through the well and stockpile them in either Kaede's hut, or the other side of the storage shed until it was crammed to the rafters with boxes of arrows, field rations, and medical supplies.
 
When the stars began winking over head, Inuyasha would collect her from wherever she happened to be, they would say their goodbyes, and then he would race them home, for a shower and bath, and then sleep. Despite his obvious enthusiasm for `helping' her wash her hair and body, she also suspected he was keeping an eye on her mother. Mrs. Higurashi was very contented and cheerful, but she was home every night, and most of each day. She only left the shrine to go grocery shopping or run errands, and Kagome nearly giggled when she watched Inuyasha sniffing, as discretely as he could, every time she came back.
 
However, despite his chest-beating about the issue to Kagome, the `alpha' still hadn't worked up the nerve to confront his demure-seeming okaa-san.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Morning of theSacred RicePlanting Ceremony
 
“Why aren't you getting dressed here?” The half-naked hanyou lounged on the foot of her bed, twirling one of her arrows in his fingertips, as Kagome carefully packed up all the regalia she would wear that day, consulting her checklist to make sure she didn't forget anything. She paused long enough to shoot him a look, and tugged her tank top straight.
 
“I'll say it again. I have a professional dresser who knows how to tie all those fiddly knots, how to do my hair so I don't have a headache by the end of the day and how to make sure my obi knot passes muster with my commanding officer.”
 
He grumbled something under his breath, pulled her kimono into his lap and began running his hands over the rich fabric. Kagome watched him, arching her eyebrow and wondering what the hell he was up to. When he moved to treating the silver haori the same way, she finally caught on. “Are you trying to scent-mark my clothes?”
 
He jumped and looked a tad guilty, and then defiant. “Keh! So what, wench?”
 
She rolled her eyes. “Why didn't you say so?” Then a sly grin crossed her lips. “You can put it on, and wear it for a few minutes, if you want.” He stood up, and started to shrug into the garment; Kagome's lips twitched. “This is a change…you wearing my clothes!”
 
He snorted, and took off the haori, but not before Kagome noted how good he looked in it, the silk clinging to his lean muscled shoulders. “Here…I'll make it easier on you…” She took the haori away from him and put it on, then held out her arms. “C'mere and give me a hug, dog-boy. All you had to do was ask…mph!”
 
Kagome cuddled into Inuyasha's chest, and sighed happily as his hands began smoothing the soft fabric against her skin, and she thought about how Inuyasha had made love to her the previous night, covering her body with kisses before… A satisfied rumble began under her ear.
 
“I know what you're thinking about, wench…how much longer until the car arrives?”
 
“Not enough time for another round of that. I suppose you want to do the same to the kimono?”
 
“I'd rather `do' you…” he purred, suggestively thrusting his hips against her before letting her go. Kagome just chuckled, and replaced the haori with the red robe, then stepped back into the circle of his arms. He tucked her under his chin, and swayed them gently, purring all the while. The feeling of safety and utter security wrapped around her, and she hugged him tightly for a long time. Inuyasha kissed the top of her head, and they stood there in the middle of her bedroom until a loud trill of birdsong brought them back to reality.
 
“I have to go…” She reluctantly pulled away, but went up on her tip-toes to kiss him softly. He let her begin to back up before swooping her into his arms again, dipped the squeaking girl over his knee, ducked his face into her cleavage and gave her a long, slow lick from between her breasts to her chin, and then stood her upright, smirking at the blush on her cheeks.
 
Now you can go.” He scooped his juban and haori from the bed and quickly finished dressing while she fumbled her things together, her skin tingling from his touch. He caught her chin in his claws for another kiss, then hopped up onto the windowsill. “I'm gonna go take the runt rabbit-hunting, and check up on things over there…when will you be home?”
 
Kagome threw a gauntlet at him, which he easily fielded and tossed back. “In time for dinner, dog-boy, so you can start the water for the ramen…”
 
Inuyasha grinned. “Keh! I'll get Kaede-baba to roast what we catch and bring back a…whadyacallit? A `take-out' …”
 
She chuckled. “Works for me.” He winked at her, and jumped to the ground, then leisurely strolled across the grounds to the well-house, mentally planning on which techniques he was going to work on with the kit. Kagome leaned out the window and watched him go, admiring his lethal grace, before turning back to finishing her packing, and adding a little something for Yashita.
 
The invitation to the Imperial ceremony had included `Lady Higurashi' as well as the Celestial Bodyguard; Sota had agreed to do Ojii-chan duty with the promise that he could go out with Akagane afterward. Kagome met an extremely chipper Mrs. Higurashi in the foyer; her mother was wearing a new kimono that was a very dark cobalt blue with a pattern of peach blossoms flowing over the shoulders and around the hem…and the undersides of the peach leaves were bronze, as was one of the under-kimonos, as well as the formal obi cinching the whole works together. Kioko beamed at her daughter. “Another Imperial outing, dear. I'm looking forward to seeing it this year, since Ojii-chan was sick last time.”
 
Kagome nodded, and then risked a question, fidgeting a bit. “Mom…are you coming home with me afterwards, or staying with… your date?”
 
Mrs. Higurashi's eyes were amused. “Are you thinking of giving me a curfew?”
 
The girl flushed. “No…but we have to be so careful around Inuyasha…”
 
“I'll take care of it; I've had the same advice that you have about cleaning up any scent traces…”
 
Kagome turned even redder. “M-m-mom… a-are you a-and Gitoumaru…?” She couldn't get out the last part of her question. Kioko giggled at the strangled expression on her daughter's face.
 
“Not yet, and yes, I understand what it means to be mated to a dog demon, dear. That's why we're waiting until your mission is over, because we wouldn't be able to disguise the change in my scent…and of course, Gitoumaru can't live here, what with Inuyasha dashing in and out.”
 
Kagome took a deep breath, feeling like her head was spinning. “Are you coming home, or not?”
 
“Probably not. We're going to visit Gitoumaru's mother afterward, and have an early dinner with her, then spend some time together. Can you look after Ojii-chan, since Sota is catching a ride to Akagane's with the driver that takes you home?”
 
She nodded numbly; her mother smiled even more brightly and gave her a reassuring squeeze. “It will all be fine; don't worry.”
 
“The resident alpha male wants to talk to you about Gitoumaru…”
 
Kioko giggled again. “Oh, that's so sweet! He wants to protect his pack member, does he?”
 
“Umm…yeah.”
 
“I don't suppose you could tell him that his older self has already pinned Gitoumaru up against the wall and read him the riot act?”
 
“Not really…”
 
“That's all right; I'll let him have his say, and I promise not to give the game away by laughing…not in front of him, anyways.”
 
Kagome shook her head. “This is getting far too complicated…”
 
“It will all work out in the end, you'll see.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome had participated in this wet, mucky festival as a senior cadet, the sleeves of her indigo haori tied back with scarlet cords, the billowing legs of her hakama wrapped tightly against her legs with puttees. The soft mud in the bottom of the flooded symbolic rice paddy on the Imperial grounds had squished up between her toes, and the sun beat down on her head when she took off the woven straw hat to wipe her brow. She'd nearly lost the hat when she and the rest of her cohort bent in unison to reach into the water, and she had to work very hard to not tip right over; she had a panicked vision of her rear sticking up in the air like a dabbling duck, her head immersed and the damned hat floating away like a miniature sampan.
 
At least this time I'll stay dry and upright she mused as she stepped carefully along the edge of the neatly-bordered paddy, following in the Emperor's wake. He would plant the first seedling in a golden tray, and then the cadets would follow suit. Even now they were filing into their serried rows, the only sounds Kogashu's bellowed commands and the slip-slosh of legs through the shallow water.
 
The Emperor walked briskly around to his spot atop a low, umbrella-shaded dais, and as soon as his feet touched the polished wood, a trumpet sounded and the cadets shouted a greeting and saluted. She took up her position to the left and behind the dais…and opened her senses to see if she could figure out how many demonic types there were in the vicinity.
 
Quite a few, as it turned out, including an unamused taiyoukai, who came up behind her and rumbled, “Keep your aura to yourself, Higurashi. You are making some of the cadets nervous.”
 
“Yes, sir,” she muttered back, and then his presence moved away. Shimano caught her eye and winked; she winked back, but behaved herself after that.
 
The ceremony was mercifully brief in the very warm sunshine, and as the cadets sloshed out of the paddy, leaving the professionals to tidy their efforts, Kagome was uncomfortably aware of sweat trickling inside her lacquered parade armour. The silk kimono and haori were hot and heavy in the humidity; she hoped for a large glass of chilled water or three, not a tiny cup of saké when they decamped to the refreshment pavilion. As she trailed after the Emperor, moving snappily to keep up with his strides, a hand slid under her elbow, startling her out of dreamy thoughts of ice-cold melon slices.
 
Shimano waggled his eyebrows at her and kept pace as they reached the pavilion, their boots crunching on the gravel. Wonder what's up…it's usually Sessaki or Kogashu who escorts me… just as they reached the steps of the veranda, the kitsune murmured in her ear, “Don't get lost after this party breaks up…I'll come get you.” She nodded; he grinned, handed her up the stairs, and then double-timed off to follow the cadets.
 
Kagome moved to her assigned place, and was very happy to settle on her cushion at the edge of the Imperial tatami mat, mercifully out of the sun, even if she was still in her regalia. She was presented with the most elegant bento box-style lunch she'd ever had, and after the requisite toasts with fine-quality saké, tucked into an array of dainty sushi rolls, so-fresh-it-was-still-wriggling sashimi, and a sunomono salad complete with plump shrimp and decoratively-cut cucumber. A carafe of iced water and a tray of artistically-cut fruit completed the meal.
 
After they dined, and the Imperial family escorted along the gravelled paths back to their wing, she was relieved of her responsibility and turned loose. Her first priority was to find Yashita, since she had a silk handkerchief tucked down the front of her breastplate for him…but now she had to wait for Shimano.
 
Not long, as it turned out. He appeared at her side and smoothly directed her deeper into the cool green gardens, rich with the scent of roses. “What's up, Shimano?” she finally asked, when the kitsune seemed to be looking for something, whistling tunelessly under his breath as they walked through the shrubbery.
 
“Just looking for…ah, here it is.” Kagome looked around the little glade, shaded by a dainty-leaved maple tree and lined with leafy foliage plants. Shimano let go of her, and started off.
 
“Hey! Wait a minute…”
 
He grinned over his shoulder at her, and tossed off a jaunty salute. “Back in a sec. Don't wander off.”
 
Grumbling, Kagome did as she was bidden, and occupied herself with admiring the way all the textures of the plants set each other off…her head snapped up when a familiar aura touched hers, and Yashita stepped into the glade, smiling at her. She crossed the space between them with rapid steps, holding out her hands. He seemed hesitant; she ignored that and hugged him; he stiffened.
 
“Wait, Kagome…”
 
“It's okay,” she said into his fatigue jacket. “I was marked very thoroughly before I left, so his…your scent is all over the kimono.” He dipped his dark head and sniffed, then smirked and left her breathless with a hug.
 
“I only have a few minutes, koishii…I ducked out on the rest of the fourth-years practising their marching for the graduation…What are you doing?” Kagome was prodding an odd lump under his t-shirt; she finally worked her fingers down his collar to extract a silver chain holding the mokume rings. She smiled at the way her smaller one nested perfectly inside his.
 
“The protective circle…that's appropriate.” She looked up at him and caught the longing in his golden-brown eyes. Leaning up on her toes, she kissed him again, and this time, they didn't part for a long while, until they had to come up for air. He stroked her jaw with his fingertip; she could feel the spell-concealed claw on her skin. “I have something for you, Yash…by the way, I'm going to need that sleeveless top I gave you back someday.”
 
“I can send it home with Shimano…I have something else to tide me over.” She paused in the act of fishing down her cleavage to look at him curiously. He arched his eyebrow and slipped his fingers into the front of her breastplate; they were cool against her warm skin. He withdrew the square of coloured silk, and grinned. “Suzume gave me the cotton yukata that you wore under all those layers at the wedding; I can snuggle up in it…”
 
“Then you don't really need this…” She twitched it out of his fingers, and made as if she was going to replace it inside her armour; instantly, he had her wrist circled, and the handkerchief disappeared into his pocket.
 
“I'll keep it, thanks. Something else to add to my collection.” He smirked. “Now, if you really want to help me out, some panties would be appreciated…”
 
She slanted him a look. “Oh, that will really help with your control issues.”
 
“Nope…but it's downright sexy.”
 
“Masochist.”
 
“Only where you're concerned, aisai.” His eyes suddenly went dark, and Kagome was enveloped in his arms, being kissed so thoroughly that her head spun, and all she could do was hold on. Finally, he broke the kiss and rested his forehead against hers, panting lightly. “I'd better go, before Sessaki hunts me down for leaving those cadets unsupervised…”
 
“Wouldn't your subordinate be there?”
 
“Like I said, I shouldn't leave them unsupervised.
 
“Aren't you nice. Poor guy.”
 
“He's a decent officer, but the cadets aren't as scared of him as they are of me…and they have to be marching in perfect cadence in ten days time. Don't go skipping off to the other side between now and then; your ass will be in a sling if you aren't here.”
 
She backed up and crisply saluted. “Yessir.”
 
“Smile when you say that…” Yashita went in for another quick kiss, then walked her back to the edge of the gardens, touched her cheek, and was gone. Kagome watched his thick braid bounce as he strode quickly…almost too quickly to be human…back towards the parade square on the far side of the Imperial grounds.
 
With a little sigh, she went her own way back to the cool chamber of the dresser, who efficiently removed her regalia and then she was released to head home. The car had barely stopped in the courtyard of the shrine when Sota jumped in, and she just had to tease him about being eager to see his `foxy' girlfriend; he'd blushed, but flashed a very Inuyasha-like smirk, which staggered her a bit.
 
She set the rice cooker to do its thing on the counter, sliced vegetables, helped Ojii-chan to close up the shrine shop and then the great gates themselves. Within a half hour after that, a familiar pair of ears topping an unruly mop of silver made their appearance, carrying a carefully-packaged roasted rabbit, and the three sat down to dinner. It was all so normal, and when Inuyasha helped tuck the old man up in his room, she declined a trip through the well in favour of sitting up in the Goshinboku and watching the moon rise. Sota came home while they sat in the tree, and after Shimano left, they'd dropped down to watch television with him for a while before getting ready for bed.
 
None of them noticed that Mrs. Higurashi didn't make it home until the next morning, when she strolled into the kitchen in the middle of breakfast preparations, causing Kagome to nearly drop the measuring cup full of rice.
 
Inuyasha's jaw had tensed, and he'd formally requested a word with his mother-in-law, who smiled sweetly at him and led the way into the living room. Their voices were low, but when they re-joined the others, the hanyou was looking a little stunned, and Mrs. Higurashi rather smug.
 
The issue of Gitoumaru `meeting Inuyasha's approval' was never brought up again.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
She did her duty at the graduation ceremony; instead of being on full display like a doll, she had sat to the side of the Emperor's gold-draped dais on her own little platform, and admired all the formal kimonos adorning the ladies of the court. She rather enjoyed being a spectator, and found she had an appetite for the formal banquet this time. Afterward, she had made Yashita blush furiously by presenting him with a pair of her panties. He'd quickly stuffed them inside his formal haori, muttering that he didn't think she'd go through with it…but he didn't offer to give them back.
 
That evening, after she'd showered and put on a light robe, she tugged Inuyasha outside, leading him by the hand over to sit on the well house steps. He was wearing fleece trousers and an Academy logo t-shirt (which Kagome had wheedled out of Shimano at the same time as her new combat boots), his silver hair fairly glowing against the dark fabric in the starshine. The snug t-shirt showed off his muscles; Kagome couldn't resist running her hands over his chest, until he trapped them, growling lightly. Kagome pretended to pout, then nestled close to his side, resting her head on his shoulder. The darkness was soft; a warm breeze ruffled their hair.
 
“What do you remember about a year ago tonight?” she asked, weaving her fingers through his.
 
“Meeting a beautiful woman…who freed me from a curse, and then promptly sat my face into the ground with a new one…”
 
“Well, you were rather threatening…coming after me with your claws and all…”
 
Her bangs were kissed. “I doubt very much that I would have pressed the attack home, even if I had the opportunity. Your heart was beating in my chest, and your scent…mmm, your scent… was calling to me.”
 
“Even from the first, I wasn't really afraid of you…”
 
“Fate, destiny…whatever. It was meant to happen, and I'm glad it did, wench.”
 
“…remember when you won Tetsusaiga?”
 
“…remember when we got saddled with the runt?”
 
“…remember how we met Miroku?”
 
“…remember Sango's eyes…?”
 
There was a brief, comfortable silence when they reached the end of their reminiscences; the night wind swirled around them, twisting the strands of their hair together. Kagome looked up at the sky, noting that the moon was three-quarters gone. “I wonder…if we'll sit together like this a year from now…” A lump rose in her throat, when she remembered that it may not be this Inuyasha who reassured her with his solid reality, who immediately picked up on her distress and pulled her into his lap, wrapping his arms around her and holding her like nothing would ever come between them. Kagome clung to him, fighting down the tears and channelling her emotions into a fierce, overwhelming desire.
 
She pulled him in for a deep, mind-blowing kiss that had him turning her to straddle his lap, pulling her tightly against him with one hand while he loosened her sash with the other, parting the thin fabric to slide his hand against her skin, over her hips, up her back to circle the nape of her neck. He broke the kiss to look deeply into her darkened eyes, nuzzling her cheek. “Inside,” he whispered hoarsely, gathered her against him with his hands cupping her rear, and crossed the courtyard in a couple of bounds. Kagome fisted her hands in his t-shirt, locked her legs around his hips, and laid an open-mouthed kiss on the side of his neck that nearly made him falter, but then they were through the open window and on the bed.
 
Kagome worked her arms out of her sleeves while struggling to pull the shirt over his head; Inuyasha was more interested in kissing her breasts and every other bare piece of skin he could reach than making it easier for her. When she cursed in frustration, he relented, smirking. He slowly stood up, holding her eyes with his intense glance and stripped for her, peeling the shirt off up over his head, releasing the fall of silver so that it swept down over one side of his chest like a silver cloak. Kagome swallowed at the sight of her hanyou, shirtless and devouring her with hungry bronze-gold eyes…and then he very slowly slid the fleece pants down over his narrow hips and let them drop the rest of the way to the floor.
 
Holding her gaze for a long moment, he slowly lowered himself until he was crouching, then he slid onto the mattress and covered her with his body, settling between her eagerly-parted thighs, his hands moving under her back to cup her shoulder blades . Kagome mewled and squirmed under him, trying to position him so that he could slide in…and then Inuyasha complied with an abrupt jerk of his hips that pinned her to the bed and stilled them for a moment…then he began kissing her slowly, softly and deeply. Her hands, which had been pulling at his back, almost frantic to have him move inside her, relaxed and stroked their way up through his hair to circle his ears and rub them gently. He moaned into her mouth, and then regarded her with heavy-lidded eyes.
 
“Take it slow, koishii…make it last…save the quickies…for out on patrol…” he murmured, punctuating his words with kisses that fired her blood until she wrapped her legs up around his hips…and he started from the contact.
 
“What's the matter…?” she whispered, wondering at his sudden tension.
 
“Not sure…” He pushed himself up on one elbow and swept the other hand down his torso, nudging between her thigh and his skin…and jumped slightly. Kagome looked down, and then quickly glanced back up to his face for confirmation. Ragged blue stripes stood out on his cheeks and red rimmed his irises…and just above his hip, under his investigating fingertips, a curling tendril of blue scribed his skin. She slipped her own hand down to move his aside, and traced the pattern. Inuyasha jumped, his heart rate accelerating. “Wha…what is that?” He tried to peer between their bodies, started to pull out, but she pushed her self up off the mattress, caught him around the ribs and pulled him back down with her, locking her legs tightly around him.
 
“Don't worry about it…it's a marking, like on your face.”
 
“But…? Have I transformed?”
 
“Shhhh, dog-boy…just…oooh…please…I…need… uhhh…” Her words broke up into a jumble when the hanyou put his concern aside and began to move inside her with a first slow, then increasingly forceful tempo, until a powerful, shuddering release left them both trembling. Unwilling to let go, they fell asleep in each others arms, so tightly entwined that it was amazing that they slept as soundly as they did.
 
Since that night, it was like there was a new closeness…of their souls knitting together even more thoroughly. Inuyasha had been startled and concerned the next morning, when he discovered that while the markings on his cheeks were gone, the striping on his hips had merely faded to a very pale blue. Kagome then demonstrated that she found them highly attractive, and the hanyou didn't mind them quite so much once she'd finished with him.
 
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
 
“C'mon, Shippo! Put some juice into it!” Kagome spun on her heel, her bowstring taut to her cheek as she tracked the kit and let fly. Her arrow slashed through the paper target he trailed behind him as he raced through the trees of the well meadow. “Gotcha!”
 
Shippo scampered up to her and flopped dramatically onto the grass at her feet, his hand over his brow. “I'm wiped, Kagome. Why don't you ask Inuyasha to be a moving target for you?” He peeked at her from between his fingers, grinning.
 
“Right, Ship-dip. If you're feeling so brave, why don't you ask him?”
 
“I can't run that fast…”
 
“How is the arm, Kagome-sama?” Miroku set aside the sutra he had just finished inking and readied another slip of parchment. The dark-haired girl grinned and scooped the kitsune, before walking over, ditching her quiver and flopping down in the shade next to the monk's neat ranks of drying sutras.
 
“Improving every day, thanks. Where's Sango?”
 
“Sparring with Inuyasha. I honestly do not know where she gets all the energy from, and in this heat, too.”
 
“Well, we know that she's getting enough rest…Owww! What was that for, Kagome?” The kit held his head and glared at the glowering girl.
 
“Don't tease Miroku. They're both waiting patiently, and don't need your input on the situation.”
 
“Thank you, Kagome-sama.” The monk replied with great dignity, `accidentally' flicking his ink-loaded brush in Shippo's direction; several large drops of black spattered across the kit's hakama and sash. “Oops…forgive me, Shippo. You'd better go off to the river and wash that out before it stains…”
 
“Ooo…I'll get you for this, houshi!” The kit shook his small fist and raced off across the meadow.
 
Kagome thought about retrieving her arrow, but instead rolled over onto her back, put her hands behind her head, and contemplated the leafy canopy. Her arm was as good as new; but still Inuyasha seemed reluctant to head out. She smiled a bit to herself, thinking about the lovemaking they'd shared on the anniversary of their meeting. Maybe that's why he isn't anxious to leave…we'd lose the privacy to be together if we were on the road… A large bone boomerang was driven into the ground next to her head; she managed not to flinch, and cracked an eye to peer up at the flushed-looking slayer, who plopped down beside her. Kagome reached up to tug gently on Sango's ponytail.
 
“You have energy to burn…”
 
“I just feel really good…and Inuyasha is a challenge to try to hit…”
 
“Which you didn't, slayer.” The hanyou dropped down on the other side of Kagome, the air displaced by his sleeves messing up the neat rows of parchment. “You're pretty good with that thing, considering how heavy it is, but it's really only meant for low-grade demons. My asshole brother's energy whip would slice it in two like that.” He snapped his claws for emphasis.
 
Sango stretched her legs out, and leaned back, bracing herself on her hands. “I've never fought a taiyoukai, I admit…” She broke off, eyeing Kagome's outfit, which consisted of gauntlets, her cuirass and armoured skirt, and her new combat boots. The grey-eyed girl noticed the look, and waited for the inevitable comment. “Um, Kagome…?”
 
“This is my summer armour, Sango. I wear it in the warmer weather.”
 
“It seems to leave a fair bit of you…um, exposed.”
 
Kagome flicked a glance at the monk, and noted the grin he was sporting while carefully re-arranging the sutras and preparing the brush for clean-up. “It's lightweight and cool, and allows me to move easily…kind of like your outfit, actually.”
 
Sango looked herself over for a moment. “I guess…how do you cope with the attention that Kagome's attire brings, Inuyasha?”
 
“Keh! I just growl at `em.”
 
“Really loudly. He's had lots of practise.” Kagome grinned at the slayer, then turned her attention to the hanyou. “We should move out today, or tomorrow at the earliest. Naraku has been busy gathering shards, no doubt, and we need to get back in the game.”
 
Inuyasha nodded. “Agreed. A short patrol, though. We were damned lucky on the night of the new moon last month, and I don't know if I want to risk being so exposed again.”
 
“There's that…we have what, about ten days or so? That'll be enough time to cover a decent patch of ground. Shall we plan to leave this afternoon?” Kagome was already sitting up, reaching for her weaponry, when Miroku chuckled.
 
“You're very keen to exit this pleasant interlude, Kagome-sama…”
 
The girl tensed slightly before turning to the monk. “I have a feeling that we don't have as much time as we might think to beat Naraku.” A slight breeze picked up and scattered the sutras; Kagome felt her power rise and then just as quickly subside. Midoriko…was that you…? “Let's go. We can be out of here in a few hours, since the supplies are already here.” Her tone was brisk, and the others recognized that the decision had been made. In a general shuffle of equipment and clothing, the other three picked themselves up and followed the armour-clad girl as she headed across the well meadow towards the stairs.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Ten days later…
 
“Dammit! This is making me insane!” The flustered hanyou sat back on his haunches and pushed his hair out of his eyes in the late afternoon sun. Kagome arched an eyebrow at him, noting that his demonic aura, which usually flared bright red when he was this agitated, was barely discernable.
 
“Your nose isn't going to be as sharp, dog-boy…you know what night it is.”
 
Fuck! Just what I need…we were supposed to be back at the village by now…”
 
“The trace of Naraku's scent that you detected was too good of a lead to pass up, Inuyasha. We will deal with the consequences of guarding you tonight.” Miroku stood with his arms crossed, watching the frustrated hanyou try to sniff the ground in a rather dog-like manner. Kagome suddenly gasped and spun to face a particular direction, her sword appearing in her hand. Just then, a familiar demonic aura pinged off his awareness, and the monk leapt to her side, his staff held in front of them in a defensive stance.
 
A whirlwind blasted into the clearing, resolving itself into a blue-eyed, dark-haired youkai wearing a rather broad smirk. “Well, hello there, princess.”
 
Beside Miroku, Kagome's whole body tensed, and the coloured vapours began sliding down the blade of her katana. “Hello, wolfling.” She kept her voice even.
 
Koga strode forward a few paces, and then he stopped dead, his nose twitching…his eyes went very wide as he whirled on the growling hanyou. “What the fuck have you done to Kagome, you piece of dog shit?”
 
The red came up in Inuyasha's eyes, and the stripes on his cheeks flared into existence…but not as dark as usual, Kagome noted worriedly. “Made her mine, asshole. Things have changed quite a bit since the last time you annoyed us. Care to test yourself against me now?”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж