InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Storm Clouds ( Chapter 58 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. All characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan Publishing, and VIZ is in the dog-pile somewhere, too.
 
A/N: Coarse language alert…Kagome is a very unhappy puppy… `Kumo' means `clouds', and `Okibi' means `blaze'.
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 58: Storm Clouds
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
 
To say he was taken somewhat by surprise would be an understatement. Sesshomaru hated surprises, particularly if they involved his half-brother. He had been attracted by the powerful and familiar youkai signature emanating from the area; he was highly disgruntled when he confirmed that an apparently untransformed Inuyasha was the source.
 
Watching the hanyou and the miko whirl into action, leaping onto the neko-youkai's back while the monk and the slayer took up defensive stances, he cast his eye over what they were protecting… a human, the kitsune pup…and a bat-hanyou pup? His eyes widened fractionally as he sorted through the various scents and auras, confirming that indeed, Inuyasha was travelling with a young female hanyou of a completely different species. What is he playing at?
 
The fire-cat clawed for altitude, circling around and up on an oblique angle that presented only the narrowest target to his men. The two groups faced off, hovering about twenty feet apart, sixty feet off the ground. Sesshomaru heard the rattle of weapons being drawn behind him; he gave an almost imperceptible shake of his head, and the patrol stood down, but he knew they were intensely curious about the growling red-clad figure with the jagged cheek stripes… by all the hells! Between those stripes and that aura, he should be levelling the surrounding area…but he is not. This…is interesting.
 
Not a flicker betrayed the taiyoukai's shock at the second surprise in as many minutes. Was this one of the permanent results of the battle against Ryukotsusei? Perhaps our truce is worth maintaining. To give his brain a moment to puzzle over this unwelcome development, he inspected the miko warily eyeing him from around his brother's shoulder. He absently noted that her modest dragon-hide uniform was missing, and she was back to that scandalously brief skirted cuirass she had worn the very first time he'd laid eyes on her. His stump throbbed slightly at the memory; he ignored it.
 
For her part, Kagome had her arms wound tightly around Inuyasha, and for good measure gripped the hilt of Tetsusaiga in one hand to prevent him from impulsive action. His growling was low, more of a warning than a threat, but he didn't take his eyes from his brother. “Wait for him to make the first move, Inuyasha,” she whispered. “Let's make the effort to not insult him in front of his men; he has us outnumbered, and we have civilians to protect.”
 
“Keh. Bastard doesn't scare me…”
 
“I didn't say that. We need him, so please don't start a fight.”
 
“If the fucker attacks…”
 
“Then show him the `Backlash Wave'; but we sort of have a truce, so let's try to be diplomatic first…please?”
 
He grumbled a bit, but finally he dropped a hand to squeeze hers where it clasped his waist, and she could direct her attention at the patrol hovering behind Sesshomaru. The four other dragon-like creatures were more slender than the twin-headed beast the taiyoukai rode, and each boasted only a single head. Two had horse-like hooves and general equine appearances, while two had clawed paws and were decidedly dragonish in their form. They all had elaborately-worked metal muzzles and wild manes of varying colours; Kagome wondered uneasily if they breathed fire, or had a mouthful of fangs under those masks. The heavily-armed warriors astride the beasts wore dark-grey leather tunics virtually identical to her dragon-hide, black hakama gathered into business-like boots, and gleaming breastplates. All four had long dark hair whipping in the breeze, varied facial markings, and were practically radiating unbridled curiosity even as they assessed their opponents with professional detachment. She powered up her aura a bit in response, and saw their eyes widen.
 
Sesshomaru realized that the miko felt a bit threatened, and was politely warning off his men. I could just turn away…but that will lead to more guard-room speculation than I wish to set loose at the fortress. He was keenly aware that two of the demons at his back had also served under the Inu no Taisho…and Inuyasha's startling resemblance to their father, not only in terms of the cheek stripes but also his incredible aura, would definitely cause comment. He mentally sighed. Might as well open the hostilities…I mean, parley. “You trespass, hanyou.”
 
Inuyasha straightened up, and his voice was more growl than words. “Hello to you, too, ass…” A warning pinch from Kagome had him swallowing the rest of the insult. “We're on our way back out of your precious territory, so don't get your hakama in a knot.”
 
“Your business on my lands?”
 
“Strengthening the Tetsusaiga.” As he spoke, Kagome watched the patrol snap to attention at the mention of the fabled sword. Two of them in particular discreetly craned their necks, as if they were trying to catch a glimpse of it. She shifted her grip to the bladeguard and pushed the hilt a little higher to make it more easily visible.
 
“Why was this necessary?”
 
“Naraku has developed an extremely powerful barrier,” Kagome interjected. “It defeated the `Wind Scar' in our most recent battle against him.” She found herself the uncomfortable target of five pairs of sharp, feral eyes.
 
Sesshomaru considered voicing an insult directed at his brother's inability to control the blade, but decided against it in favour of more information when he recalled the destruction suffered by Ryukotsusei's body at the hanyou's hands. “How was this `strengthening' accomplished?”
 
“I cleaned out an infestation of hyakki-komori down the coast.”
 
“The bat youkai protected by the blood coral orb?” Sesshomaru kept the note of astonishment out of his voice, but the question was asked perhaps a little too eagerly to pretend complete disinterest.
 
“Yeah.” The hanyou sat tall and proud on the fire-cat's back, those golden eyes flashing in the sun, the blue cheek stripes standing out plainly against his skin, almost daring Sesshomaru to say something insulting. Instead, the taiyoukai avoided his gaze and glanced down.
 
“You have a talent for attracting useless followers.”
 
Inuyasha growled deep in his chest. “It's none of your damn business….”
 
Sesshomaru's yellow eyes slid back to him. “You wipe out her tribe and then offer her shelter…interesting.”
 
The air started to crackle as the competing auras began to rise; Kagome felt the situation slipping out of control. Dammit! How am I supposed to have a sensible conversation with him if he won't stop insulting Inuyasha? Clearing her throat, she plunged into the situation. “She is the last of her line and has nowhere else to go. Her father died, but not by our hands, and we have offered her and her mother sanctuary in Edo.” Cool eyes locked on her; Kagome inclined her head very slightly. “We trust that this will be acceptable.”
 
“The fate of half-breed brats is not my concern, miko.” Sesshomaru lightly emphasized the plural and smugly enjoyed Inuyasha's snarl. “Unauthorized entry into the Western Lands, however, is.
 
“It ain't like we can just drop by the fortress and ask your permission, you fu…” Inuyasha snarled audibly when Kagome pinched him again, but he fell silent. The tension built into a tangible force in the air between the two groups. Behind the taiyoukai, the patrol shifted restlessly as the demonic auras continued to grow, green on one side, red on the other.
 
Damn, damned, damnable…I'm never going to pull this off! Sessaki is so going to get a piece of my mind… Kagome let go of the Tetsusaiga, expecting the worst…and then was so badly stunned by what Sesshomaru said next that she nearly fell off Kirara.
 
“In return for your information about Naraku, I will spare your lives; you will use these tenbaryu to speed your departure from the Western Lands.”
 
As the taiyoukai gestured, Kagome gaped at the offer of assistance couched as a threat. Two of the warriors smoothly shifted onto the backs of the creatures hovering beside them; one pair flew towards them followed by the two now-riderless tenbaryu. Inuyasha began to swear, but Kagome hushed him. I think this may be the breakthrough…he's helping us out, but disguising it as a threat for the benefit of his men…?
 
As Inuyasha rumbled a low warning, the pillion-riding warrior stretched dangerously far across the intervening space to offer Kagome both pairs of reins. Gingerly accepting the braided leather, she cautiously eyed the muzzled, fairly horse-like creatures that were carefully sniffing at Kirara and then looked over at the two seemingly identical riders. She frowned a bit as her memory prodded her. Where have I met these two before…?
 
“Thanks…um…what do they eat?” she asked, as the gleaming steel-grey animal with a stark white mane and tail left off investigating Kirara and nudged her bare arm with its muzzle; she could feel the warmth of its breath through the perforated mask before it bowed its heavily arched neck and snuffled her leg, tickling her with its extravagantly long white eyelashes. The other creature was deep burnished gold with a black mane and tail; it watched her with glowing, cat's-slit red eyes.
 
As soon as the one demon spoke, she knew where she had met him before. “They're pretty easy keepers, miko-sama. Grass, leaves…small kitsunes.” When her eyes snapped up to his, she saw the laughter in the dark gaze, and couldn't help a wry grin. The other, slightly taller, demon's lip twitched, but he remained silent. The pair of smart-ass bodyguards outside the rehearsal reception… “The muzzles are for show; neither of these two breath fire. The one trying to eat your boot is `Kumo'…the other one is `Okibi'. They can carry three adults each without tiring; when you reach your destination, loop the reins around the pommel and give them a swat on the rear. They'll find their way back to the stables without any difficulty.”
 
The other demon spoke up. `Treat them the same way as that fire-cat, and you'll be fine. They understand human speech.” He bowed politely to both Inuyasha and Kagome; his partner followed suit with a cheeky grin on his face.
 
“Kumo…Okibi…you will permit these passengers and follow their commands.” Sesshomaru's cool tones caused both creatures' heads to twist towards him, their ears pricked forward, and then they bobbed their heads in unison.
 
Inuyasha finally found his voice. “Just wait a fucking minute! Keh! We don't need your damn charity…”
 
“…But graciously accept your assistance in leaving the Western Lands all the same, Sesshomaru-sama.” Kagome twisted a handful of the hanyou's hair in warning even as she emphasized the honorific, and was rewarded with a sharp, appraising glance from the taiyoukai as he and his depleted force turned away.
 
“It should take you no more than three days to reach Edo; I will not be so lenient should I find you within my borders after that time.” The twin-headed tenbaryu emitted a guttural roar, its decidedly reptilian tail lashing, and the company rose swiftly into the sky. The rear-most rider of the last beast glanced over his shoulder at them, and gave a brief wave, which Kagome hesitantly returned.
 
“Well, shit…what's that bastard up to?” Inuyasha shook his head as he sized up the two creatures that were now regarding him intently, curiosity and intelligence bright in their red eyes. “Oi, wench…what the hell are you playing at, sucking up to him like that! Sama? You've gotta be kidding me!”
 
Kagome pressed her forehead against his back and thought rapidly. “The two of you growl so much at each other that I had to say something that would catch his attention, Inuyasha. We can't afford to turn down an offer of help that will get us back to the well before the New Moon. I don't think he truly realized how much of a favour he was doing for us.”
 
“Keh. He'd crap himself if he knew…looks like we came out on top this time.” The hanyou sniggered, and his mood immediately improved. “Come on, you grass-farting lizards. Let's get moving; we have enough hours of daylight ahead that we can cover a decent chunk of ground.” The tenbaryu willingly followed as Kirara descended to the ground. Kagome slid off, and found herself being thoroughly sniffed by both of the massive creatures, which were much larger than she had first thought; they were closer to the size of European draft horses than her own Arashi. She flared her aura a bit, and they backed off for a moment, puzzled. Inuyasha stepped forward and allowed them to snuffle deeply into his clothing.
 
“Let them sniff you really well, Kagome. They've accepted us as their masters, so they have to be able to recognize us. Miroku, Sango…runt…Etsu and Shiori…come over here and say hello to Kumo and Okibi.” The rest of the group slowly drew near the creatures; Shippo and Shiori crept up behind Inuyasha. The kitsune skittered up the hanyou's back to perch on his shoulder, and nearly fell off again when Okibi blew a snort right into his face. Shiori clung to Inuyasha's hakama; he picked her up and held her reassuringly while Kumo's large snout delicately whiffled her.
 
Sango came over to Kagome, watching the animals carefully. “I've never seen creatures quite like these…”
 
“They're similar to Kirara in that they understand us when we talk. They can each carry three adults, so we're away to the races and on our way home. I'll come with you and Miroku on one, and Inuyasha can take Etsu, Shiori, Shippo and Kirara on the other…”
 
“I don't think you have any say in that, wench. Looks like Miroku's found an admirer.” Both girls turned to see Okibi bunting Miroku in the chest while emitting a low rumbling noise…and they burst out laughing at the long-suffering look on the houshi's face.
 
“Buddha save me…even demonic horses find me attractive…I must have been a salt lick in a previous life…” Miroku stumbled as the tenbaryu gave him a playful shove; he caught himself by jamming his staff into the ground. “Yes, yes, my good demon; I will risk life and limb with you…”
 
“Well, let's get on with it. Kagome, you're with me, the runts and Kirara. Miroku, you and your new friend can entertain Sango and Etsu.” Kumo broke away and placed himself in front of Kagome. He bowed his great head over her hand, making odd little bird-like cries in the back of his throat. She rubbed the leathery skin under his jaw, and reached to scratch under his forelock, admiring the workmanship of the metalwork on his bridle. Kumo gently pushed his head against her and started rumbling rhythmically. Inuyasha chuckled. “Looks like you have an admirer as well. All the better; they won't give us any trouble if they've chosen one of us to serve.”
 
“You seem to know quite a bit about these animals, Inuyasha,” Sango commented off-hand, and none of them were prepared for the old pain that instantly darkened his golden eyes.
 
“I played in the stables when I was a pup; most of the fortress' residents thought it was the right place for a dirty hanyou…” He caught himself at the sight of tears forming in Shiori's eyes, and gave her a tight hug. “That's why you're coming with us to Edo; no one there is going to say mean things to you.” The little girl nodded and tucked herself under his chin; Kagome turned away with an odd twinge in her heart and busied herself with figuring out the elaborate mounting straps that secured the riders onto the sturdy saddles. Using them as leverage, she scrabbled up onto Kumo, then urged the animal forward until Shippo sprang across the distance and onto her shoulder, followed by Kirara who curled up in front of her. While Inuyasha loaded himself and Shiori on behind her, she watched Miroku as he resignedly heaved himself onto Okibi, followed by Etsu and Sango, who could barely restrain her glee at her houshi acquiring yet another equine admirer.
 
“Do you think Kumo would let me sit on his head?” Shippo asked, his tail twitching with excitement.
 
“Ask first, Shippo…if he tosses you, it'll be a long way down…”
 
The kitsune changed his mind, and dropped off Kagome's shoulder to cuddle up with Shiori in Inuyasha's arms. “Hang on, everyone…let's go, Kumo.” At her soft command, the creature strode forward and rose smoothly into the air. Inuyasha hooked his claws into a set of straps; he couldn't even hold onto Kagome's waist because his arms were full. She securely wrapped her cloak around her and pretended not to notice, instead smiling at Shippo and Shiori's excited squeals as they soared over the landscape at an altitude and speed far greater than Kirara usually reached.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
As evening shadows began stretching across the terrain below them, and the air rushing past them cooled significantly, the group touched down a short distance from a comfortable-looking village. Kagome sighed, thinking about the enticing curls of smoke spiralling upward from the bath house and the inn, but knew that luxuriating in hot water was not in the cards. We were able to buy our way into an inn before, even though we have demons in our party…but these exotic critters are too much to expect someone to overlook.
 
Sango slid off Okibi first, then assisted Etsu down from the creature's back. Miroku stiffly dismounted and stretched, wincing; he was at first startled when the tenbaryu rubbed its metal-clad muzzle against his chest, but gamely scratched its leathery ears. “Thank you, Okibi. I appreciate your fortitude this day.”
 
Inuyasha glanced over at him in the act of lowering Shiori into Etsu's arms; the little girl was burbling excitedly about the things she saw on the flight. “Take off that grillwork thing, houshi. Okibi can forage for herself, but she can't undo those clasps.”
 
As Shippo jumped down to balance on Etsu's shoulder and joined in the chatter about their day, Inuyasha dropped to the ground and held out his arms to Kagome, inviting her to slide into them, but instead she shook her head and urged Kumo over to his herd-mate to dismount. She also removed the metal covering his mouth and wasn't terribly surprised to see that the creature sported an impressive set of fangs that actually overhung his lower lip while Okibi displayed a daintier pair. She's younger, or they're smaller because she's a female; I suppose Inuyasha would know.
 
Kagome collected the other muzzle from Miroku as Kirara jumped from Kumo's saddle to the monk's shoulder; he put up a hand to stabilize the fire-cat while he followed Kagome's lead in removing Okibi's tack. “Well, Kagome-sama, what do you propose we should do this evening?” he asked cheerfully.
 
She carefully laid the saddles over a convenient log, then draped the bridles on top. “You and I could go into the village and purchase some food, unless everyone would prefer more field rations…” A vocal chorus of `no' rang around the clearing; he grinned down at her.
 
“I suppose that is our answer, then. Shall we…?” He offered her his arm but they hadn't taken two steps before their demonic mounts were right behind them. Miroku glanced over his shoulder and sighed heavily. “We can't exactly blend in with these two…Sango? Etsu? Will you…?”
 
Inuyasha gave the two women a handful of coins, and as Miroku bent to kiss Sango goodbye, Kirara transferred to her shoulder, obviously intending to ride shotgun. After entertaining a shopping list from Shippo that was rather heavy on the sweets, they disappeared into the darkening undergrowth, heading in a direction that they expected would quickly intersect with the well-worn path into the village.
 
Meanwhile, Kagome busied herself collecting twigs and branches for the fire. Shippo came to help and the kit found several resin-filled pinecones perfect for starter. Miroku scooped out a shallow pit in the sandy soil; this was usually the hanyou's job, but he was discussing something with Shiori while he rummaged in a pack. The tinder-dry wood soon caught, and a cheery blaze was crackling above warming embers by the time Sango and Etsu returned laden with packages that emitted delicious smells.
 
“We have a feast fit for a daimyo!” proclaimed Sango, while Etsu quietly beamed. While the mess tins were broken out and the food shared around, Sango described the comical reaction to her request at the inn. The owner was rather non-committal until his wife caught the sound of silver jingling in Etsu's palm…and then the kitchen was open, no questions asked. They were treated to cups of tea and a few dumplings while the garrulous woman bustled among her pots and pans; the fragrant parcels of rice, grilled meat and vegetables, pickles and sweet dumplings were devoured down to the last morsel.
 
Miroku and Kagome gathered up the mess tins and headed down to the river to rinse them, followed closely by Kumo and Okibi. While the humans swished, the tenbaryu waded right into the chilly water, drinking deeply and snorting, but were on the bank beside them as soon as they turned to leave. Miroku shook his head. “Worse than dogs, aren't they?”
 
“Shhh, houshi-doushi…you'll hurt their feelings. I'm glad we have some extra protection, and they've guaranteed that we'll make it back to Edo in time for the new moon.”
 
“Buddha's teeth…how could I forget that? How many more days?”
 
“Two. I'm hoping that we'll make it back by the afternoon of the day after tomorrow.”
 
“They fly very swiftly; certainly faster than even Kirara at her quickest. Kagome-sama, why do you think Sesshomaru-sama assisted us? It certainly isn't his nature…”
 
“You heard him. He wants us out of the Western Lands as soon as possible.”
 
“Yes, but do you think that he perhaps is softening his opinion of you and Inuyasha? This is the first encounter with him that did not end with drawn swords and general mayhem.” Miroku grunted and swore lightly as a straggling branch struck him in the face; a moment later the whole offending bush was gone, torn up by the roots and heaved aside by Okibi, who stepped on it for good measure. The pair stood and contemplated that for a moment, then looked at each other. “I have my doubts about Sesshomaru-sama's stated motivation; we were slightly outnumbered by the five of them, and they would have certainly held the advantage in combat.”
 
“I really hope that you're right, and this means he might be willing help us against Naraku.”
 
“It would make our quest much simpler, wouldn't it?”
 
“What would make it simpler, houshi?” From across the fire, Inuyasha's eyes were sharp. Kagome avoided his gaze, collected the dripping tins from the monk, and headed over to the packs.
 
“Our task of defeating Naraku would be eased if your brother joined us.”
 
“Uh-huh. Dream on.”
 
Miroku pressed his case. “You did not fight with him today, despite his provocation, and he assisted us with the loan of his creatures. This behaviour is markedly different from the past, you must admit.”
 
“The only reason I didn't kick his ass was because somebody wouldn't let me.”
 
Kagome ignored the jibe and buckled the pack closed. “Lucky for us, I'd say, or we'd still be stuck out in the boondocks somewhere. Sango, did you happen to find out the name of the village while you were chatting up the innkeeper's wife?” She began patting the front of her cuirass, looking for the folded map that she kept inside her breastplate.
 
“No, I'm sorry, Kagome. I can ask tomorrow when we go to retrieve our breakfast…”
 
“We're leaving at dawn, so rations will have to do…”
 
“I ordered a bucket of rice porridge, Inuyasha. It will be ready at dawn. We'll need a good meal if we are to remain aloft all day tomorrow.” Sango's brisk tone brooked no argument, and the hanyou grumbled a bit, but a verbal tussle was avoided when Shippo and Shiori strutted into the firelight wearing `helmets' made out of the tenbaryu's gleaming elaborate muzzles on their heads and posturing fiercely. Once the laughter had died down, Shippo broke out the cards and challenged Miroku to a rematch from the last poker game.
 
Kagome watched as Shippo, Shiori and Kirara teamed up against Miroku, Sango and Etsu. The small hanyou tugged Inuyasha into the game on their side, and with the neko-youkai hanging over his shoulder, and a tumble of russet and silver in his lap, he made quite a picture helping them sort through their cards. Kagome wrapped her cloak around her and smilingly refused to join the monk's `harem', content to watch her friends enjoying themselves. A low, deep rumble sounded behind her; Kumo nudged her shoulder before settling himself in such a way that she could lean back against his bulk. His massive head ended up across her lap; she obliged by scratching under his mane and along his jaw. His red eyes fluttered closed and he sighed breathily.
 
In the firelight, she admired the patterns on his warm, leathery hide. On his massive neck and shoulders, the bony plates growing just under his skin were circular and as big as her hand, and spaced about the same distance apart. About halfway down his back, the plates began to occur closer together, until by the time they reached his haunches, they formed interlocking scales that shimmered whenever he moved. He had horse-like hooves, as did Okibi, but each of his hocks were adorned with a pair of razor-sharp vestigial claws.
 
Sheesh! What a big baby!
Hi, Fenik. He is rather interesting, isn't he?
If you like weird breeding experiments sure.
Glad he can't hear you. Ooh, is my furry sword-boy jealous because Kumo is getting his ears scratched?
Yeah, yeah. On that note, why haven't you been scratching a certain hanyou's fuzzy ears lately?
He's been busy with Shiori…
Uh-huh. You neatly avoided a hug earlier this evening…
Had to look after the animals.
Might I remind you that he's one, too.
A tenbaryu? Funny how I missed the hooves…
Don't play coy. It doesn't suit you.
I'm thinking too much, I guess…about what will happen when the well closes…
So you're distancing yourself from him already? What, are you nuts?
Do not shut him out, Phoenix!
Er, hi, Midoriko. Geez, you guys… I'm really not trying to…I need to talk to Sessaki. If that encounter was my big chance to `revisit' the issue of his younger self helping us, I missed something.
You are over-thinking. Quit it, and go reclaim your hanyou from the cutie-pie.
She's younger and the same as him. I don't mind… really.
He'll make a good father some day; he has even mellowed towards the kitsune.
Yeah…he will be a good dad…hopefully the kids will be mine…
Ooh, we are feeling sorry for ourselves, aren't we?
Ya know what? You're pissing me off, fang-boy. Let's go play with sharp pointy objects, shall we?
Exactly what I had in mind, lizard-lover.
 
The rest of the group looked over, startled, when Kagome pushed Kumo's head off her lap, jumped to her feet, collected her sword and quiver and began striding out of the campsite. “Oi, wench…where do you think you're going?” Inuyasha demanded.
 
“Need to blow off some steam; won't be far.” She waved airily, and then Kumo towered over her, nibbling on her shoulder. Reaching up to scratch his jaw, she added, “Big guy here will run interference for me if we meet any hostile wildlife or attack-vegetation…right, Miroku?” She plunged into the undergrowth without waiting for a response and blinked her battle-sight into existence to enhance her night-vision. Behind her, Kumo rumbled and tugged on her cloak; when she stopped, the beast came up alongside and bowed his foreleg, indicating that she should ride. Using his bent leg as a mounting block, she clambered aboard and wound her hands into his mane as he began forging ahead, picking his way through the darkness with ease.
 
Kagome had completely lost track of exactly how far from the campsite they were when Kumo stepped out into a small clearing, dimly lit by the waning moon. “Hmm…too bad I didn't think to bring a flashlight. It's okay…I don't really need any extra light to burn off some steam.” She slid down off his back, `oofing' a little when she finally landed. His hot breath ruffled her hair as she straightened up. “Can you get any taller? Hmm, you hang out with demons packing some pretty impressive auras, but I wonder if you've ever experienced spiritual energy? Better give you a preview to avoid later unpleasantness, I guess. Kumo… do you trust me?” She held out her hand to the huge beast; he regarded her steadily with his cat's-slit red eye for a moment, then nuzzled her palm. Smiling, she laid her other hand against his neck and as she whispered reassurances, she powered up her aura and wrapped it around him.
 
The tenbaryu tensed for a moment as the silver and pink flames swirled around him, but then he relaxed and watched the light show with interest. Kagome brought the energy back until it only coated her hand; Kumo snuffled at it, sneezing when it tickled his nose. “There…now you know what I smell like when I'm powered up. I'm just going to practise my kenjutsu moves, but that'll involve some of this energy flying around, okay?” He shook his long white mane in response, then folded his long legs neatly to watch from the edge of the glade.
 
Kagome dropped her cloak and her quiver beside him, then walked out into the middle of the open space. Bowing her head, she focussed her thoughts.
 
All right, Fenik. First we're gonna do some basic exercises, and then we'll try it `ignited'…
Once you're done posturing, we'll up the ante a bit.
Oh, really? You have a new trick, do you?
In a manner of speaking, Nixie. Let's see if you can finally handle me.
Pffft. Bite me, fang-boy. If you can dish it, I can take it.
 
She tensed, crouched and spun into the movements of the kata, first running through the exercises empty-handed. When she drew the katana, red and green vapours slid down the blade…and there wasn't a taiyoukai or hanyou in sight. Arching her eyebrow, she nevertheless threw herself into a repeat of the kata, until the sword was truly singing as it swept, slashed and whirled through the air, and she was wreathed in leaping silver flames. Three times she repeated the full kata, until the sweat was dripping off her jaw and running down inside her cuirass.
 
Now you need a sparring partner. Do you remember what I look like in human form?
Purple stripes, funny-coloured hair and a bad attitude.
Smart-ass. Flatter me, and I won't hit so hard. Remember how you projected my dog form against Tsubaki and wolf-shit?
Yes…
Do the same thing now, but I need to be two-legged.
Explain to me why I'm doing this?
This is your real final exam, Nixie. The one against Sessaki was just practise.
Um…I have to fight you?
I'll be gentle...to start.
Uhhh…crap.
Don't worry, Phoenix. I'm at your side.
Whew…thanks, Midoriko.
Don't distract her, Riko. Now, Nixie…let's play.
 
Kagome swallowed and closed her eyes, conjuring the image of Fenik as she had last seen him inside her mind while defying Tsubaki, and willed him into existence.
 
Not bad, Nixie. You can open your eyes now.
 
She obeyed…and blinked. Ten feet away stood a tall, slender, deceptively solid-looking manifestation of her sword's demonic power, his mixed obsidian and silver hair swaying lightly in an unfelt breeze. A clawed hand reached up to tuck a few stray strands behind a sharply pointed elfin ear sporting a little silver tuft on its tip. Above the smooth-edged dark purple stripes blazoning his pale cheeks, molten silver eyes glowed. Recovering from her astonishment, she cocked her head on one side.
 
“You look more like Sesshomaru than I originally thought.”
 
But I'm so much more personable. Sheathe the sword, and let's start off with a game of tag.
 
“Uh…tag? Wait a minute…this feels weird, to be talking to you but hearing you inside my head.” She seated her blade in its scabbard at her hip and rested her hand on the hilt.
 
Doesn't matter; concentrate, Nixie…I'm `it', and you better start thinking about avoiding me…on your mark, get set…go! He dove at her, claws extended and Kagome threw herself to the side, rolling back up to her feet and retreating while avoiding a series of rapid swipes. He nearly overwhelmed her, until she used the energy of the strikes to propel herself out of range, collect herself, and start anticipating his moves. He grinned carelessly at her. Good work. You've brought yourself under control much faster than ever before.
 
“I hadn't lost a fight until Kohaku, and I haven't been tested since then. C'mon, brat…hit me with your best shot.”
 
My pleasure
 
Kagome gave herself up to the primal energy pouring through her, her eyes as silver as Fenik's as she darted and spun, twisted and rolled, managing to stay one step ahead of his claws…until he `upped the ante' and very nearly took her in a lunging rush. She caught the flash of metal and reacted on pure instinct; her sword was in her hand and blocking an identical, very corporeal blade that would have taken her arm off if the blow had been completed.
 
“Hey! No fair! How'd you do that?” Fenik made no answer; they battled hilt to hilt for a few moments, until he bared his fangs and forcibly shoved her away. Skidding to a stop, she snarled back, used the rebound energy from her landing to throw herself upward…and then the battle went airborne. So focussed on her opponent, Kagome was only barely aware of the tree trunks becoming her launching pads much as the dojo walls had been that day against Sessaki.
 
She was far more involved in this battle than that one, when she felt like a spectator as opposed to a participant. Midoriko was lending her some assistance now, but hadn't `taken her over'; this fight was hers to lose. “I've got your number, bobcat-boy…eat this!” She grinned fiercely at the sword-demon, who only narrowed his eyes and flung himself at her, his sword blazing just as brightly as her own. The clash of steel rang around the clearing as they lunged, feinted and blocked several feet above the ground, trailing sparks like fireflies.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
A couple of milesaway, and carefully downwind of the travellers
 
“I still don't get it, Ieji.”
 
“Don't get what? Keep your claws out of that rabbit until it's cooked, dammit!”
 
“C'mon, Ieji…not all of us like our meat cooked to a crisp! I don't get why Sesshomaru-sama set us to shadowing the hanyou and his pack.”
 
“That's Inuyasha-sama to you, Ita. He looks exactly like the ink-painting of the Inu no Taisho that Obaa-san has in her room…and that aura! It was as impressive as Sesshomaru-sama's!”
 
“Aw…Ieji's in love.”
 
“Eat dragon shit, baka. The miko-sama is equally impressive…”
 
“Uh-huh. Impressive curves…”
 
“I'd pay more attention to her weaponry, if I were you. She's the one who snapped Kiriaisai-san's sword with one blow of her own, when his pup `borrowed' it for that little unauthorized jaunt.”
 
“You mean she's the `Phoenix of Legend'? Hmph. Nothing like what I'd imagined…”
 
“You were probably imagining a female inu-youkai along the lines of that delectable Yumiko-san.”
 
“Ah, yummy Yumi-chan… hey… did you feel that?”
 
By the fifth hell! That's an incredible battle-aura!”
 
“Is the miko under attack?”
 
“Hold on… no sign of Inuyasha-sama's aura, or any other demonic energy signature…we'll wait. Our orders were to intervene only if they required assistance.”
 
“Uh, Ieji?”
 
“What?”
 
“Hope you like your rabbit extra-crispy.”
 
“Aw, shit.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Sweat threatened to blind Kagome as Fenik relentlessly battled her around the clearing, something unpleasantly akin to a sneer marring his handsome face. After barely avoiding a move that featured him switching his sword to the other hand and aiming a cut across her throat, she made sure she was out of his range before venting. “What the fuck are you playing at, Fenik?”
 
He didn't answer, just drove in at her with a slashing combination that challenged her concentration to the maximum as she parried the blows. What's the matter, Nixie? Why can't you defeat a figment of your imagination?
 
“Damn fucking solid figment, you bastard! What the hell's up with that sword? You are a weapon, so how can you manifest one?”
 
You have more to worry about than that. Why don't you strike me? I'm not afraid to hurt you
 
Kagome swore violently when the tip of his blade flashed and etched a burning line across her thigh. She threw herself to the side, risking a glance down at the very real blood running down her leg and then propelled herself across the clearing. “What the hell…?”
 
Fenik held her eyes as he casually raised his sword and licked her blood from the edge. C'mon, Nixie… let me loose, or I'll keep poking you until you do.
 
She pressed her palm over the leaking cut. “Stop provoking me, you stupid asshole! I will not lose control!”
 
Who said anything about losing control? You have to fully release your power, Nixie, if you hope to beat me.
 
“Fuck you. I won't do it.”
 
Why not? He began to stalk her through the shadows, silver eyes glinting. How can you expect to beat Naraku, if you don't test the absolute limits of your control? A lazy swipe of his blade sent her darting backwards. You're holding back because you don't want to hurt me? I can't be killed, not by you, or anyone else… but I can make you bleed.
 
“Wha…? You are insane.”
 
Test your limits. You always stop yourself. Then he came at her again, and she retreated, infuriating him. Dammit, woman… use what you have! I'm fucking serious! The blade left another burning line of blood in its wake, this time on her sword arm.
 
That's enough, Fenik!” Kagome snarled and went after him, anger and pain fuelling a surge of power that unleashed a series of rapid-fire blows that set him back on his heels. Smirking tightly, he agilely blocked as well as retaliated, and a metallic net was woven between them, formed of screaming steel and flying sparks. Across the clearing, the agitated tenbaryu ducked his head, snorting fearfully, but he refused to leave his chosen charge, who to his eyes seemed to be battling herself.
 
A barely-blocked slash from Fenik's blade caused everything to suddenly crystallize in Kagome's mind. An icy calm settled over her, and after calculating the necessary trajectory, she used the concussive energy of his last strike to take flight over his head, kicking his sword aside as she launched. Twisting like a cat in mid-air, she was presented with the virtually gift-wrapped target of his exposed back. In the split-second before he turned, she coolly gauged the angle and distance, swung her sword over her head and slashed downward in a powerful two-handed blow that would have sliced him in half from collarbone to groin…except at the last moment, she flipped the weapon and hammered him in the shoulder with the flat of the blade.
 
For a figment of my imagination, he sure felt solid enough, damn him! She flipped backward out of reach, landing a bit awkwardly on one knee and bracing herself with her free hand, watching as Fenik seemed to crumple and dissolve into a column of shimmering sparks. He immediately reappeared, but this time without a weapon. She slowly stood up, eyeing him warily, raising her sword into a defensive position. He dusted off his shoulder; beside him, a bluish-pink swirl of sparks coalesced into the form of Midoriko, and Kagome stiffened under their stern gaze.
 
Congratulations, sweetheart… you passed the test.
 
She sighed heavily, raked her fingers through her hair and shoved the sword back into its scabbard. Grimacing, she applied pressure on the shallow cuts streaking her arm and leg with blood. “Yay, me. Now would you explain the purpose of it?”
 
The wielder of ultimate power must be merciful.
 
“Merciful? Ultimate power? What are you talking about?”
 
You hold tremendous power in your hands, Phoenix. Your sword is the key by which the Tenseiga and the Tetsusaiga will open the hell-gates to receive Naraku. We had to be sure that you would be merciful in the heat of battle.
 
“I hardly see how this little scrap with fang-boy proves anything new…..Midoriko, what do you mean by `merciful'? Surely you don't expect me to show Naraku any mercy?”
 
The priestess fixed her with steady eyes. Is arrogance punishable by death?
 
“No.” Confused, the girl tried to puzzle out the seemingly abrupt change in conversation.
 
Is greed?
 
“Um…no.”
 
Lust?
 
“Er…no.” Kagome had the feeling she was walking into a verbal trap, but couldn't for the life of her see the sharpened sticks at the bottom of the pit.
 
Murder?
 
“Naraku has the blood of dozens of innocents on his hands! He murdered Sango's entire village for the sake of a single Jewel shard! Of course he deserves death!” Her eyes flashed as she glared at Midoriko, wondering what the priestess was driving at.
 
And who caused all those deaths by shattering the Jewel in the first place?
 
Kagome staggered and dropped to one knee, eyes wide with shock; her heart painfully clenched.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The rest of the group were tucked up in their blankets as Inuyasha restlessly traced patterns in the dirt, awaiting Kagome's return. Miroku watched him from across the fire, absently rubbing the prayer beads restraining the Vortex. The monk had also picked up on the powerful surge in the miko's aura a few minutes before, but had cautioned the hanyou against going after her at that moment.
 
“Kagome-sama said that she was going off to relieve some aggression, and the tenbaryu is with her; he would not allow her to come to any harm, from what you have told me of their natures.”
 
“I know, houshi… but the last time she cut loose like that… I nearly lost her.”
 
“Lost her? How?” Inuyasha found himself relating the story of how Kagome found him `embracing' Kikyo under the Goshinboku, although he left out the details of their reconciliation in the bottom of the well. Miroku's eyes were very large and round by the end of the tale, and he whistled appreciatively through his teeth. “I would say that this definitely proves Kagome-sama's deep affection for you, Inuyasha.”
 
The hanyou suddenly clutched at his chest and swayed visibly; Miroku dove for him. Wild-eyed, Inuyasha barely choked out, “K'gome…” and then he was gone.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Ashen-faced, Kagome stared blankly up at her erstwhile protectors, her lips moving soundlessly. Fenik gazed down at her, his expression neutral. You once admitted to Sesshomaru that you were a destroyer of innocents.
 
There are those that would say the same blood stains your hands, because of your carelessness…that you are as guilty as Naraku. Midoriko's quiet words hung fire in the still air; Kagome shuddered violently, each word slamming into her like a hunting bolt fired at point-blank range.
 
There was a long silence. The two manifestations looked at each other, then at the seemingly-shattered girl before them. Fenik scuffed the toe of his boot against the ground, while Midoriko watched Kagome carefully. The girl at their feet shook herself slightly, and then a howling inferno of raging energy thundered around her as she sprang upright, screaming winds tearing at the encircling trees until they bent nearly double from the blast. Midoriko and Fenik fell back, shielding their faces from the scorching power. When they could look, Kagome was a terrifying sight, her dark hair blowing wildly and metallic eyes glittering coldly.
 
“You two idiots exist inside me, and you pretend you don't know that I deal with the guilt of shattering the Jewel and spreading the misery every fucking day?” she hissed. “I'm fully aware of the fact that I've fuelled Naraku's rampage with my carelessness… but I'm doing my best to make up for it, dammit!” Fenik flinched while Midoriko maintained her cool facade; Kagome glared at each in turn. “As far as I'm concerned, Naraku's death will end up being far less painful than he deserves. When the combined firepower of our weapons takes him out, he'll die instantly… unlike most that have perished as a result of possessing the Jewel. Is that `merciful' enough for you?”
 
Kagome's attention was attracted by movement on the edge of the clearing. Smiling quietly, she closed her eyes for a moment. The powerful wind whipping around the clearing stalled, then vanished with a sigh. “Come here, Kumo… it's okay now.” Her voice was very soft. The tenbaryu rose to his feet, shook himself and trotted over to her. Making that odd little chirping sound, he nuzzled her gently, licking the wound on her leg while she scratched under his mane. Combing his forelock with her fingers, she addressed him while directing her words at the silent pair. “If you also think I've forgotten how I nearly fried Inuyasha by losing control of my power, trust me, I haven't. I know where my limits are…. and I can assure you that I don't need to be broken to be made stronger.”
 
Fenik abruptly bowed deeply to her and then dropped to one knee, bowing his head. Forgive me, Phoenix.
 
“Oh, get up, already.” She stepped towards him, grabbed his definitely-there arm and pulled him to his feet. “I'll be more than happy to have you as a sparring partner; just don't try this psychological warfare shit again, okay?” They locked eyes for a long moment, and then Fenik laid his hands on her shoulders.
 
From now on, my full power is available to you against any demonic opponent, not only Sesshomaru or Inuyasha.
 
“Thank you. Gimme a hug, you bobcat-eared pain in the ass.” He was reassuringly solid for the briefest instant as his arms circled her shoulders, and then dissolved into thousands of brilliant points of light that coiled around her. Kagome smiled wistfully, cupping a few sparkling motes in her hand just before they vanished, then turned to Midoriko.
 
The ancient priestess held herself tall, her expression remote, gaze cool and calculating. For a brief instant, Kagome was reminded of Kikyo, but she put that thought away in favour of finishing the business between them. “I understand that my battle with Naraku is a continuation of the one fought between you and the demon that culminated in the creation of the Jewel, and I think I understand… sort of… why you chose to test me this way. I won't break, Midoriko.” She squared her shoulders, trying to ignore Kumo's rough tongue as he licked the blood from her arm. “However, it bothers me more than a little that you felt you had to test me this way. I'll do my duty; I'm not Kikyo.”
 
No, you are not Kikyo… and I heartily thank the goddess for that. You will be taken right to the edge in order to defeat Naraku, Kagome, and I had to be sure of you.
 
“You mean you weren't before? After all this crap we've been through as a team?”
 
Midoriko dropped her eyes, and her voice softened. You were unaware of the true extent of your powers until only six months ago. That is entirely different from a miko trained from birth.
 
“Ah…and you're afraid that I'm going to crack under pressure, so you piled it on tonight by attacking me from the one quarter that I was sure I trust?”
 
Yes.
 
“Pretty nasty way to do it.”
 
My apologies.
 
“Accepted. Now, I believe we have a war to fight… together.” Kagome held out her hand, and Midoriko readily took it.
 
You are truly the Phoenix, Kagome. It is an honour to stand at your side. The priestess dissolved into a blue and pink mist that whirled around her before fading away.
 
Kagome!” She turned as Inuyasha crashed into the clearing, amber eyes flaming in the darkness, and then she was taken off her feet in a rush of red and silver. He crushed her to his chest, cupping the back of her head in one hand, his breathing harsh in her ear. “Koishii…are you all right? What the hell happened?”
 
She wrapped her arms tightly around him, hugging him for all she was worth. “I'm fine…Midoriko and Fenik planned a little test for me that got out of hand. I'm sorry if we scared you.”
 
Scared me? Shit, wench, when your heart stopped in my chest, I thought…”
 
“Sorry, koibito. They put me through the wringer.”
 
“You let your power loose, too…twice.”
 
“Had to prove that I could control it.”
 
“You're bleeding! Who cut you? I thought you said it was Midoriko and Fenik?” He pried her arms from around his waist and held her slightly away to better inspect the two injuries.
 
Kagome smiled wryly. “I guess you could say they were `self-inflicted', since it was a figment of my imagination that did them.”
 
“Did you take a couple of blows to the head? You're not making any sense, wench!”
 
She snuggled back into his embrace, ignoring his mutterings about her already-healing injuries, and closed her eyes, breathing in the warm, earthy, mossy scent just slightly tinged with woodland flowers that was Inuyasha. “Remember when I sparred with Midoriko in the cave at the slayer's village? Her sword was pretty real, wasn't it?”
 
Inuyasha kissed her forehead, stymied in his efforts to have a closer look at her wounds, and thought for a moment. “Keh. Real enough to hurt when she holds it at your throat. Did you fight her again?”
 
“No. It was Fenik this time.”
 
“You fought your own sword?” he asked, incredulous.
 
“Yes. He's pretty good, too.”
 
“Give me a nice, straight-up fight with my asshole brother any time over a scrap with imaginary opponents.”
 
Kagome chuckled. “I'll second that. Shall we go back to the others?”
 
He didn't respond except to tighten his arms around her. She tilted her head and went up on tip-toe to meet him half-way. It was a deep, searching kiss that lasted a long time, only ending when they needed air. “Seems like a long time since we've even kissed,” he mumbled against her lips.
 
“Well, my snuggle-time with you has been drastically reduced in the last few days due to the presence of a younger woman.”
 
A crooked grin quirked his lips. “Shiori's cute, but she ain't my type. I have a well-known weakness for dark-haired, grey-eyed human females with great legs.”
 
“Do you?”
 
“Keh. Especially this one.” He kissed a path from her ear down to her collarbone and nibbled lightly with his fang. Kagome sighed and arched her neck, baring her throat to him; he groaned quietly and pressed open-mouthed kisses up the sensitive flesh. She took a tighter grip on his haori when he bent her over backward and nuzzled the skin just at the edge of her cuirass… and then he stopped, growling as he raised his head to glare at something behind her.
 
“Inuyasha? What…?”
 
“We have company.” Puzzled, since he didn't seem about to go into attack mode, she tilted her head further backwards, and found herself eye to eye with Kumo. The tenbaryu rumbled and whiffled her bangs, then reached over her. Inuyasha nearly dropped her when Kumo lipped his ear; he straightened them both very rapidly, swearing violently and wiping the offended appendage. “Damn flying lizard… keep your damn mouth to yourself!”
 
Kumo cocked his head to the side, perking his ears as he watched the fussing hanyou, and then snorted. Kagome giggled. “I think he's laughing at you, koibito.”
 
“Keh. So much for any private time; he won't leave you unprotected until we're back at the village.”
 
“Well, at least we'll get to snuggle together tonight. Shiori and Shippo have been rather enjoying curling up with you these last few days.”
 
“She really misses her father; apparently he spent every evening with them, which is really unusual for a demon…”
 
“There you go again. How about your father?”
 
Inuyasha stopped, then sighed. “Stop being so right about things, wench. When he wasn't out conquering stuff, he would spend time with my mother and me. Sometimes even Sesshomaru would join us. I liked those times the best, because he would tell us stories about our ancestors, and all the battles he fought.”
 
“That sounds really wonderful, although I have trouble picturing Sesshomaru willingly hanging out with humans.” Before Rin, of course, she mentally added.
 
“I idolized the asshole when I was little; he was everything I wanted to be… but he showed his true colours when our father died. He did nothing when those bastards dragged my mother away from Father's funeral bier and literally threw her out of the fortress, into the snow with nothing but the clothes on her back. I defended her as best I could, but I was only a little kid about Shiori's age… I didn't stand a chance.” Kagome slipped her arms around him and held him tight. This is the first time he's really told me anything… Inuyasha was silent for quite a while, his hands moving steadily up and down her back, stroking his claws through her hair. “That's when my desire to become a full demon really started, way back then, when I was a pup. They wouldn't have dared touch my mother, and I'd be a member of the pack as much as Sesshomaru.”
 
“Inuyasha…”
 
“But it all worked out okay, I guess. If I'd been born a full demon, I wouldn't have wanted the Shikon Jewel, I wouldn't have met Kikyo… wouldn't have been pinned to a damn tree for fifty years… and wouldn't have met you.” He kissed her softly, holding her close; Kagome nestled against him, keeping the tender contact going as long as possible. When they finally parted, Inuyasha brushed her cheek with the backs of his claws, his eyes dark. “I don't need the Jewel because I now have something far more precious.”
 
She kissed him breathless, and the kiss would have definitely led to some intensely intimate activities, but Kumo's hot breath on the back of her neck reminded her that they had a bright-eyed audience. Inuyasha groaned softly and buried his face in the side of her neck. “Mmm…damn. You're sleeping with me tonight, wench; even if I can't molest you, at least I can hold you in my arms.”
 
“Too bad we don't have the sleeping bags; we could have slipped inside one and….”
 
“Right… with brimstone-breath here hovering over us? Don't think so.”
 
“We'll be home the day after next, and you're in line to be jumped rather thoroughly, dog-boy.”
 
“Keh! Something to look forward to… c'mere, Kumo. I ain't running all the way back to camp.”
 
“How far away are we, exactly?”
 
“Far enough that I couldn't get to you fast enough for my liking. Up you go…” He boosted her up onto the tenbaryu's back and followed immediately. While she gripped a double-handful of white mane to stabilize them, he flipped her armoured skirt up, pulled her rear tightly against his groin, and then his hands started wandering. Kumo rumbled and began heading out of the clearing, but paused right at the edge. “What now?” Inuyasha growled, plainly unhappy at being interrupted in his investigation of the nape of Kagome's neck.
 
“My cloak and quiver! What a good boy you are, Kumo!” The hanyou groaned, but leapt down, retrieved the two items and sprang back up. He swung the quiver onto his own back and draped the cloak over her shoulders. As Kumo turned around and headed back out into the clearing, obviously intent on flight, Kagome interrupted Inuyasha's explorations of what lay beneath her skirt. “Just a minute…”
 
“What ?”
 
“Er, Kumo's hide is kind of slippery without a saddle; can you help hold on when he goes airborne?”
 
Inuyasha gently banged his head on her shoulder, sighed heavily, and then scooted her up higher on the tenbaryu's withers, an action that meant she ended up pretty much sitting in his lap. He reached around her and nudged her hands aside so that he could grip Kumo's mane in her place. “Hold onto me, wench.”
 
Kagome giggled lightly and snuggled backward, secure in the cradle of his body. “Actually, this is rather nice.”
 
“Yeah, well, I'd rather have at least one hand full of you.”
 
“That would be very distracting, and Kumo might misinterpret the sounds I'd be making as commands to toss us off his back mid-flight.”
 
“He's smarter than you think…tell him to get moving, already!”
 
She chuckled again, and quietly commanded the creature to return them to their companions. Cool night air rushed past them as they cleared the treetops; in the far distance, a thin spiral of white smoke indicated the presence of their campsite. Tucking her cloak around her, Kagome nestled against Inuyasha, enjoying his warm reality and the security of his embrace.
Closing her eyes, she turned her head slightly and rested her forehead against his cheek, and was immediately rewarded by a warm kiss.
 
Hey, Nixie? Got a minute?
Sure…
Um…sorry about the cuts.
S'okay…you won't be so lucky next time we go at it.
Forget it. You're scary when you're pissed off.
Ha! I demand a rematch, fang-boy!
Er, no, it's okay…really.
Is that the clucking of a chicken I hear?
Whimpering of a dog, actually.
Okay…I'm feeling generous…you're off the hook…
Thanks, sweetheart.
…For now. Midoriko?
Yes?
Just wanted to say `good night'… to both of you.
Good night, Kagome…and thank you.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж