InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Riding Lessons ( Chapter 59 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. All characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan Publishing, and VIZ is in the dog-pile somewhere, too.
 
A/N: I forgot to mention last update that I was about to go camping with the clan this past week… and then a couple more plot bunnies bit, which increased the length of this chapter.
 
This chapter is dedicated to both Alexandrine of Ravynstone Abbey and Lady Kiseki. These two lovely ladies have penned wonderful ficlets set within the `Time Lapse' universe. Alexandrine wrote a sweet little story titled `Birth Day' about the handsome hospital visitor anxiously awaiting newborn Kagome, and Lady Kiseki created a fun oneshot called `Role Reversal' detailing how Koga and Ayame got together after the well closed. Both stories are available at ff.net through links on my profile page. Check `em out!
 
Coarse language alert, and citrus-scented activity at the very end.
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 59: Riding Lessons
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
Two days later; early afternoonof the night of the new moon.
 
“I can see the Goshinboku, Shiori! We're home!” Shippo did a happy little dance on Kagome's shoulder; she put up a hand to steady him as the wind of their flight rushed past their faces.
 
“D'you mind keeping your tail out of my face, runt?”
 
Shippo flicked his brush insolently and then dropped down into Kagome's lap. Before their trip to the coast, the girl would have expected the hanyou to reach around her, grab the kit and toss him from the tenbaryu's back, then gleefully watch as he transformed into something suitable for shock absorption. Not now. Instead, Inuyasha merely huffed a bit and consoled himself by affectionately nuzzling Kagome's neck… well, the part of it he could reach over the pack she was wearing.
 
She first squeezed Inuyasha's hand where it rested on her hip and then lightly flicked Shippo's ear-tip. The kit wrinkled his nose at her, but refrained from complaining. Shiori shifted slightly in her lap, squirming around to look past Kumo's head towards their destination; Kagome felt the bony little protrusions on the girl's back rub past the buckles of her gauntlet and then the skin of her arm as she turned.
 
Last night's trip to the hot spring had yielded a couple of surprises. One was Kumo's ability to detect hostile youkai, and the other was Shiori's interesting hanyou attribute. Kagome shuddered reflexively as she recalled how the tenbaryu had tensed, staring into the cloudy depths of the spring and then bodily prevented Etsu from entering the water. Kirara had transformed into her battle-size and crouched on the rocks, hissing loudly with bristling tails. The reaction of the two animals alerted Kagome and Sango; while the slayer stood ready with the Hiraikotsu, Kagome flamed and fired two arrows in rapid succession into the water. When an extremely repulsive snake-like eel demon burst through the surface to escape the purifying energy, Sango whirled her weapon over her head and neatly bisected it. Kirara grabbed the obscenely twitching halves out of mid-air and disposed of them well away from both the hot spring and the campsite.
 
Kumo had carefully stepped around the perimeter, red eyes riveted on the quiet pool, and then had finally tossed his head and nudged Etsu towards the steaming water. Kagome followed the others into the water, and spent a few minutes rooting around for the arrows on the bottom among the rocks and sand. Locating the water-logged missiles, she laid them on the rocks to dry after smoothing the fletching. Settling back to finally enjoy the hot spring, she had offered to wash Shiori's hair. When the little girl plopped into her lap and put her back to her, she was astonished to see the pair of dainty leathery scalloped wings lying flat against her back. “Shiori-chan! These are beautiful! Can you fly?”
 
“A little, Kagome-san. My Daifu-san started to teach me just before he…died.” Shiori's red-violet eyes suddenly glistened with tears, and Kagome hugged her tight.
 
“Inuyasha might be able to help, Shiori-chan. He can't actually fly, but he's really fast when he races through the trees… and he'd be sure to catch you if you practised jumping from a height.”
 
“Shippo-kun can transform into quite a few things now and I'm sure he would help, too,” Sango put in from the other side of the spring, where she was chatting with Etsu. The slayer and Shiori's mother had become quite friendly over the past few days. Kagome wasn't quite sure how she felt about this budding relationship, but resolved not to worry about it. Instead, she encouraged Shiori to show off her wings; when the little girl unfurled them, she had been effusive in her compliments. The wings were very pretty, with pearlized-silver skin stretched between delicate flight bones and their span was a little wider than Shiori's outstretched arms.
 
Kagome was jerked back to the present when the young hanyou tapped on her gauntlet. “Is your village nice, Kagome-san?”
 
She smiled down at the silver-haired girl. “It's your village now, Shiori-chan, and we'll be there in the next few minutes. Kumo…please land just down there, on the path…” The tenbaryu's ears flickered back, and then perked forward as they began a slow, curving descent. Shippo was down the creature's long leg and scurrying for the barrier as soon as they touched down.
 
“I'll go get Kaede-baba!” he yelled over his shoulder. Inuyasha gave Kagome a squeeze and dropped off Kumo's back. She handed Shiori down to him; the little girl fisted her small hands into his fire-rat and ducked her head under his chin. He cuddled her close, soothingly rubbing her back with his free hand.
 
“It's all right, pup.” He looked up at Kagome, and mouthed an apology for not being able to assist her descent.
 
She grinned. “You look good with a kid in your arms.” He raised his dark eyebrows at her but didn't reply, instead walking over to Etsu, who had just dismounted from Okibi. Shiori shook her silvery head; she wanted to remain with Inuyasha. Etsu patted her daughter's back as well, and then Sango tucked her hand under the woman's arm, as they prepared to walk through the barrier.
 
“Wait! Kagome-sama and I must drop the barrier, so that Shiori-sama will not be refused entry!” Miroku slid down from Okibi's back and bustled forward.
 
Kagome was about to follow suit when Sango waved her hand. “Kirara can fly through the barrier and Shippo-kun just went through without any problem; I think that Shiori-chan will be permitted as well.”
 
“I am loathe to test your theory with her tender flesh, Sango.” The metal rings jangled softly as he planted his staff, resting his hand on her shoulder.
 
The slayer smiled up at him. “I think that the barrier recognizes them as… what's that word, Kagome? `Friendlies'?” Miroku still looked unconvinced. “Why don't you give Shiori-chan a sutra to hold? That would do the trick.”
 
Miroku paused, then rubbed his chin thoughtfully. “Very well; however, I do rather think that it might be less painful for all involved if we just opened the barrier…”
 
Kagome watched the wrangling from her vantage point on Kumo's back while scratching Kirara's ears. The neko-youkai had hopped over her shoulder and into her lap once Inuyasha vacated his spot on the saddle and taken Shiori with him. Through the faintly shimmering barrier, she noted Kaede shuffling towards them. The kitsune was excitedly circling the old miko like a hyper-active puppy and jabbering a mile a second, while the headman and a few others followed at a respectful distance. Kirara opened one red eye, yawned widely, then mewed sharply. Kumo's ears twitched, and he stepped smartly forward. “Hey, fella…what are you up to?” Kagome asked, tugging gently on a handful of mane. The tenbaryu chirruped and dodged around the group standing in the middle of the path. She had the barest warning to tighten her grip on his coarse white hair when he bunched his hindquarters… and sprang through the barrier.
 
There was a very mild tingle, and then they were standing inside the shield. Kagome blinked owlishly, first at the startled faces of her friends still on the other side and then down at Kirara. As Kumo vigorously shook his mane, Kirara looked rather smug and daintily rubbed a black paw over her nose.
 
“Kagome-sama! What on earth followed ye home this time?” Kaede's jovial tones held no rancour as she stumped up to look Kumo over. The tenbaryu eyed her right back, then slowly reached out to sniff the old miko's shoulder. Kaede rubbed a gnarled hand over his leathery muzzle, her wrinkled face suddenly solemn. “It has been a long time indeed since I have seen one of these beasts.”
 
Kagome slid down to the ground, and waited until Kirara dropped onto her shoulder before moving forward to clasp Kaede's hand. “You mean you're familiar with these critters? They come from Inuyasha's family fortress.”
 
Kaede gently biffed Kumo's questing lips away from the herbs she'd tucked into the front of her kosode when Shippo had surprised her in the garden. “A few days after thy hanyou was sealed, a patrol of mounted warriors flew over the village and circled the Goshinboku, undoubtedly come to see for themselves his fate.”
 
“They're called tenbaryu; this one is Kumo, and the other one, enamoured of Miroku, is Okibi.”
 
“Heavenly horse-dragons, eh? Hm. Who else accompanies ye?” Kaede's sharp eye assessed the rest of the group still on the other side of the flickering wall.
 
“We have offered sanctuary to a young bat-hanyou and her mother…”
 
“Well, don't leave them outside, Kagome-sama!”
 
The girl started slightly. “We were wondering how best to bring them through the barrier, short of dropping it…”
 
Kaede rolled her one eye. “Once she is inside, the barrier will accommodate her and allow her free passage, as it does our other demonic friends.”
 
“Er, we were afraid she'd be zapped on the way in…”
 
“Were you, and this great lump?” Kumo snorted, clearly understanding the insult and gave Kaede a little nudge. She caught his chin in her fingers and gave him a thorough scratch under his jaw that had his long white eyelashes fluttering down like feathers; all Kagome could do was shake her head, and go to do Kaede's bidding. She walked back through the barrier and up to the group. Kirara leapt down and mewed at Sango until the slayer picked her up.
 
Kagome smiled at Shiori. “It doesn't hurt at all, Shiori-chan. Once you're inside, the barrier will allow you to come and go.” Shiori's great red-violet eyes were very calm, but she didn't give up her tight grip on Inuyasha's haori.
 
“Let us enter, Shiori-chan; if Kagome-san says it is safe, then I am sure that it is.” Etsu smiled encouragingly at her daughter.
 
Miroku grumbled, and handed the little girl a sutra. “Just to be sure…”
 
Shippo scampered through the barrier. “If I can do it, so can you, Shiori! Come on! Kaede-baba has some of her famous vegetable stew on the fire!” The little hanyou blinked down at the kit, bit her lip, and then squirmed out of Inuyasha's arms. She shook herself, straightened up proudly and marched up to Shippo. The kitsune beamed and held out his hand; Shiori took it, while clutching the sutra in the other, and the diminutive pair walked through the barrier together.
 
Bemused, the adults watched them go, and then looked at each other. “Well, I guess that solves that problem,” Miroku muttered, and then took hold of Okibi's bridle. “Come, my scaly beauty… a pasture and fresh water await you.”
 
“We'll put them into the paddock with Juhi and Arashi. They worked very hard to bring us home in this short of a time period; the least we can do is feed them and allow them to rest before sending them back to Sesshomaru.” Kagome waved Miroku ahead; Okibi gave her shoulder a quick nuzzle on the way past. Sango nodded sagely, and then pulled Etsu after her as she walked through the barrier.
 
“What, no `sama', wench?” Inuyasha smirked.
 
She stuck her tongue out at him, and then nimbly skipped out of reach when the hanyou made a grab for her. She let him catch her just inside the barrier, and they walked up to the welcoming committee just as Etsu and Shiori were formally presented to the headman, and Miroku asked for sanctuary on their behalf. They hung back a little; Inuyasha slid his arm around her waist and breathed in her ear, “Looking forward to you keeping your promise from the other night, wench.”
 
Kagome had a blank moment while her mind raced. “Um… refresh my memory…?”
 
He `tsked' gently before pressing himself against her in an unmistakeably masculine fashion, and as she remembered she turned as red as his fire-rat. Inuyasha chuckled at her discomfiture and kissed her cheek. “Go put the lizards out to pasture while we sort out where Shiori and Etsu are going to stay. I'm actually looking forward to a bowl of Kaede-baba's stew for lunch before we go through the well.”
 
She shot him a disbelieving look. “You're kidding… you always complain about it being too spicy!”
 
“Not by the time we start eating.” He smiled crookedly, and she noticed that his cheek stripes were slightly lighter in colour. Right, he's starting to lose some of his power already…better get through the well soon. Hm… I wonder when Shiori's night of weakness is? I'll ask Etsu when I know her a bit better. On second thought, I'll get Sango to ask her.
 
“Right. If we go through early enough, we can ask Mom to make some sushi for dinner tonight.”
 
“She can add all the wasabi she wants. My tastebuds will be invincible.”
 
Kagome shook her head, grinning. “You really crack me up; you can be punched through the guts by your brother's poison claws and keep fighting, but the slightest bit of heat on your tongue, and you whine.”
 
“Hey, a burned tongue really hurts! And then I can't do other things with it…” He suggestively trailed the appendage under discussion around the shell of her ear, and she couldn't suppress the shiver, nor her body's near-instant response. Inuyasha smirked when he caught a waft of her arousal, and his eyes darkened. He began turning her in his arms, with intent for a full-body press, but she ducked out of his embrace and backed up a couple of steps, breathing hard.
 
“Hold that thought, dog-boy, while we deal with the animals.” Kumo chose that moment to intervene and snorted at Inuyasha, and then clopped over to the girl. As the impromptu meeting broke up and while the headman escorted Etsu and Shiori deeper into the village proper, Miroku and Okibi waited for Kagome and Kumo to catch up. The monk didn't miss the intensity of the looks passing between the hanyou and the miko, and smiled softly before gently rattling his staff to get their attention.
 
“Let us deposit our four-footed guests at the paddock, and then hasten to join the others for the meal. It is good to be home, all of us uninjured and not in a tearing hurry to leave again… that has to be a first in a while.”
 
Inuyasha relaxed his about-to-pounce stance a bit and chuckled. “You're right, houshi. Hurry up with those sorry excuses for dragons, or there won't be any stew left.” Winking at Miroku and catching Kagome's eye with a long, meaningful look, he turned and strode in the direction of Kaede's hut.
 
Miroku clapped a hand on Kagome's shoulder. “I am looking forward to a couple of days off from our hunt.”
 
“Me, too. Let's hope that Naraku co-operates.”
 
“We will just ignore him until we are ready to face him.”
 
Kagome laughed softly. “If only it were that easy, Miroku.” They were interrupted by a couple of teenage boys, who stared at the huge tenbaryu with open curiosity.
 
“Houshi-sama… what are these creatures?”
 
Miroku coughed lightly, taking in Kagome's discomfiture at being utterly ignored by the two youths. “Have a good look at these tenbaryu, gentlemen. This may be the closest you will ever get to one of these fine creatures, and you may thank Kagome-sama for the opportunity.” The boys started, dug their toes into the ground, and muttered sheepish apologies to the miko, who nodded. They trailed along behind, and then clambered up on the paddock fence to watch the animals being turned out to graze.
 
She lifted the woven latch securing the gate over the post, pushed it open, and led Kumo into the paddock, followed by Miroku and Okibi. They busied themselves removing the tenbaryus' tack and hanging it over the fence, the discarded metal muzzles clanging dully off the wood. Okibi promptly dropped to the grass and rolled, waving her claw-adorned hooves in the air before springing to her feet. Kumo hesitated a moment, stepped up to Kagome, and pressed his head against her chest. She wrapped her arms around him as far as she could reach, leaning her cheek against his shock-white forelock while being very conscious of his breath warming her kneecaps. “Gonna miss you, fella,” she whispered, choking up a bit.
 
“They have been a valuable addition to our group, Kagome-sama. Do you think Sesshomaru-sama would notice if we kept them for a while?”
 
“How could you possibly miss something this big?” Kagome replied as she gave Kumo an extra squeeze before releasing him. He lightly nibbled her bangs and then ambled off to where Okibi was being sized up Juhi and Arashi. The brown gelding hung back, but the dapple-grey mare boldly stepped forward until she was touching muzzles with the towering steel-grey creature; she looked very dainty next to his bulk. As she delicately whiffled Kumo, Okibi sniffed her thoroughly, and soon all three were making friends. Juhi finally sidled up to join the scrum.
 
“Why is Juhi-sama so reluctant?” Miroku asked, keenly watching the interactions between the four animals.
 
“He defers to Arashi already, and with these new additions to the herd, they'll have to sort out the `pecking order' between the four of them. I suspect Juhi will end up on the bottom, and the fuss will mainly be between the two mares, since Kumo is the only stallion.” Kagome tugged on his sleeve, and pulled Miroku out of the paddock, and latched the gate behind them.
 
“Ah, so horses are as much `pack' animals as dogs, then?”
 
“Not exactly, and I can only guess if it's the same for tenbaryu. The stallion has his harem of mares, fillies and yearling colts, which will get the boot once they're strong enough to challenge their sire. Juhi's saving grace is the fact he's a gelding, and no threat to Kumo.” The tenbaryu's head snapped up at the sound of his name; he began moving back towards the gate. “No, Kumo… you stay here with Arashi and Juhi. We'll be back in a little while.” She fixed the two teens still perched on the fence with a steely eye. “I wouldn't advise you entering the paddock; the tenbaryu aren't averse to snacking on flesh.” They gulped and nodded as they slunk down from the crossbar.
 
Miroku gave Okibi the same command, and he gently prodded Kagome in the shoulder as they made their way around the stable towards Kaede's hut. “You didn't need to frighten the boys, Kagome-sama.”
 
“I wanted them to keep their distance; otherwise we'd come back and find them throwing rocks at the tenbaryu just to `see what they would do'. Maybe the dragon part of their heritage does eat meat; one of the inu-youkai mentioned that, and I'm not at all sure he was joking.”
 
“Yes, those fangs are very impressive. Ah…” he paused a moment and inhaled deeply, a broad smile brightening his face as his eyes fluttered closed. “Kaede-sama's stew… it's been awhile!”
 
“We'd better hurry up; Inuyasha's powers are dwindling, and he can actually eat it today…”
 
Miroku chuckled and gestured with his staff. “After you, Kagome-sama…” Ducking under the tied-back matting, they stepped into the hut and shucked their footwear; Kagome stacked her pack and quiver against the wall and Miroku followed suit. Kaede had bowls of rice and stew ready for them; the pot had already been substantially emptied. Inuyasha caught Kagome's hand as she stepped over him on the crowded planking and pulled her into his lap. She felt a bit awkward, as this was the first time in a few days she had been in this spot, but he had no intention of letting her go and made that perfectly clear by the way he pulled her sword out of her obi and wrapped his arms possessively around her waist. Kaede chuckled and passed a bowl to Etsu, who in turn handed it to a blushing Kagome.
 
“It is good to have ye all here, and no one bloodied or injured. Are ye planning to return home tonight, Kagome-sama?”
 
Kagome didn't notice the odd look Etsu gave her, but Inuyasha did. “Yes. I need to talk to my commanding officer about a couple of things… um, where are Etsu-san and Shiori-chan staying?”
 
“As it happens, the village has a hut that will be suitable with a few repairs; if ye stay in the village for a few days, with the extra hands to help, it will be ready for them. Until then, they will stay with me.”
 
“We are very grateful, Kaede-sama… and also grateful to all of you for offering us sanctuary.” Etsu put down her bowl, and both she and Shiori bowed very deeply and formally to the assembled group.
 
“Keh! You couldn't very well stay there any more, and we wouldn't have left you.” Inuyasha stated firmly, and Shiori beamed at him while cuddling into her mother's side.
 
Shippo put down his bowl, belched loudly and grinned cheekily at the little hanyou. “C'mon, Shiori… let's go see if Hiro-kun and Fumi-chan can come out and play… I'll show you the village, too.” Shiori glanced at her mother for permission, and then at Inuyasha, which made Kagome's heart clench with the realization that to all intents and purposes, he had become Shiori's surrogate father. Well, he is the alpha of our little `pack'… this line of thought is going to make me nuts if I don't quit it. Wait…I wonder where Shiori is in the present? If she was at the wedding, I would have met her…A very cold feeling settled into the pit of Kagome's stomach and it was with difficulty that she shrugged it off.
 
“Runt, you make sure Shiori is safe… I'm counting on you…” Inuyasha's voice, virtually in her ear, was warm and his firm body pressing against her back was comfortingly solid.
 
Shippo stood up tall and puffed out his chest. “No problem, dog-brea… I mean, Inuyasha. I'll protect her!” Shiori handed her empty bowl to her mother and then the two disappeared out the door. Kagome could see Shippo's tail twitching with excitement as they scampered along the path.
 
Kaede watched them go, smiling nostalgically. “Ah, youth… if only my old bones had half that energy…”
 
Sango gathered up the bowls and began rinsing them in a bucket of water. “Thank you for the meal, Kaede-sama. Perhaps we could start on the repairs to the hut this afternoon?”
 
Kaede waved her hand. “Nay, it is not necessary to begin today. Perhaps we could have a closer assessment, and if anything is necessary from Kagome-sama's time…” She trailed off when she caught the inquisitive look on Etsu's face. “Etsu-san, shall we go have a look at the hut?”
 
“Yes, Kaede-sama. Thank you.” Diverted for the moment, the woman nodded at the old miko, and then there was general movement to clean up after the meal and head out. When Kagome tried to leave the circle of Inuyasha's arms, he kept her back for a moment until the hut emptied. When she turned to remonstrate, he kissed her cheek and gave her a heavy-lidded look, his eyes gone dark gold.
 
“Once we've looked at the hut, let's go, Kagome. I really need to be with just you for a while.”
 
“We're hardly alone on the other side of the well, either.”
 
“Oi… I can wait until later for that. I want to be with my girl, even if we just sit up in the Goshinboku for a while.”
 
She turned a little more and kissed him lightly on the lips. “Okay. I'd like that.”
 
He held her for a moment longer, quietly nuzzling the side of her neck, then let her go. Kagome stood up and offered him her hand; he caught up her sword along with his own and took her fingers. Stepping close, he slid Fenikkusuken back into her obi; Kagome felt little tingles slide over her skin at his proximity and leaned into him, inhaling the warm scent of his skin. She pressed a kiss to the divot in the centre of his collarbone and felt him shiver as his arms circled her. “Keep doing that, wench,” he whispered huskily, “and we won't make it through the well.” In answer, she tilted her face and stretched up to kiss his chin, receiving a soft groan in return and then he pressed her tightly against him.
 
They were interrupted by the sound of running feet outside the hut. She had her boots buckled by the time the two teens skidded to a halt in front of Miroku. “Houshi-sama! The paddock! You'd better come quickly!” Their gasped message was barely delivered when Inuyasha pulled Kagome out the door of the hut, swung her onto his back in a smooth movement and bolted for the stable.
 
They rounded the corner of the building and he stopped dead, barely absorbing their forward momentum in time to avoid a face-plant. “What is it, Inuyasha? What's wrong? Is something attacking? I don't sense anything!” Kagome struggled to see around the hanyou's flying hair; he let her down without a word. Stepping into the clear, it was her turn to freeze in shocked dismay. Oh, no…
 
There wasn't anything being attacked, although the easily startled might at first assume that something of that nature was occurring, what with the somewhat violent-looking activity taking place in the paddock. However, Kumo and Arashi were merely doing what stallions and mares have done for millennia. The mare looked almost smug as she was covered by the massive tenbaryu, and Kagome flinched when what appeared to be about a ten foot length of easily-identifiable stallion equipment went to work.
 
“We are so fucked.” She snapped her head around at Inuyasha's blunt comment. He glanced at her and shook his head. “He won't leave her while she's in season, and if she takes…”
 
“You mean the pregnancy could harm her?” Kagome risked another look to consider the size differential between the two animals and winced again.
 
“Naw. Arashi could handle the foal. The problem is that Kumo will stay to guard her while she's pregnant.”
 
Understanding dawned. “Oh. And Sesshomaru only considered them loaners…oops.”
 
Inuyasha sighed. “Guess we'll have to write a note to the asshole and attach it to Okibi's bridle or something.”
 
Miroku puffed around the corner of the stable and then stopped in his tracks, his eyes very wide. “Oh! This was somewhat unexpected!”
 
“No shit, houshi. How's your writing?”
 
“Considered adequate for polite society, Inuyasha… why?”
 
“You're going to apply your persuasive abilities to explaining to my idiot brother why we aren't returning one of his precious tenbaryu until next spring.”
 
“Buddha's grace. Wait… isn't the normal pregnancy for a mare just over eleven lunar cycles?”
 
“In case you haven't noticed, that stallion isn't exactly the usual sort of horse, and part of a year doesn't sound as bad as a whole one.”
 
“I suppose it's all in how you sell it…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The shadows were lengthening across the courtyard by the time Inuyasha and Kagome tumbled out of the well and into the hush of a summer evening. Even the sound of the traffic on the road below the shrine was muffled; the warmth radiating off the paving stones was almost palpable.
"How come you didn't notice that Arashi was in heat?"  He shot her a sharp look, and tapped his nose; she gave him an apologetic smile.  "Sorry, koibito... forgot that it wasn't as sensitive today.  Um, how soon will we know if Arashi's pregnant?”
“She'll go out of heat. We have another problem, koishii. If she's expecting, we're short a method of transport.”
 
Kagome chewed her lip. “Shoot. It's going to be hard to hunt Naraku on foot…”
 
“Kumo seems quite taken with you; if he thinks Juhi will do an adequate job of protecting Arashi, he might be willing to be your transport.”
 
“If your brother doesn't pitch a fit first when they don't come back as scheduled.”
 
“Keh. Let's forget about it for tonight, Kagome, and think about what we want to do…”
 
She giggled and tweaked his ear. “You've made it pretty clear what's on your mind, koibito. Did Kumo inspire you?”
 
“First time alone with my girl in two weeks… Keh! Damn right it's on my mind!” He caught her by the waist and swung her around, until she collapsed, laughing, against his chest. He stroked her cheek, smiling into her sparkling eyes, and then moved in for a kiss.
 
“Hey, guys! Hurry up! If you want a shower before dinner, you'd better move it! And there's a package from the Armoury up in your room, Sis!” Sota was grinning a bit too widely when he interrupted them; he chortled when Inuyasha made an obscene gesture before dipping Kagome in another kiss.
 
“Inuyasha! What if Mom saw you do that?” she gasped when he finally let her breathe.
 
“Do what?” he asked innocently as he ushered her into the house. “She doesn't mind if I kiss you in front of her.”
 
Argh! That's not what I meant…”
 
“Kagome! Inuyasha! Hurry up… I've put out your fleeces on the bed for you!” Mrs. Higurashi called from the kitchen as the pair left the foyer. When they hesitated, she made rapid `shooing' motions. “Go on…both of you. I don't think you'll mind conserving water, will you? Be quick!”
 
Kagome blushed while Inuyasha grinned, and then he scooped her up, took the stairs in a flying leap and had the door to her room shut behind them in the blink of an eye. “Okay, wench… you heard your mom… we've gotta be fast…”
 
She threw her bunched-up cloak at him. “In and out of the shower, dog-boy. Don't even think about the other…hey!” He managed to have them land on the bed, but Kagome's back was arched in a very uncomfortable manner by the large package taking up a fair chunk of space. Inuyasha rolled both of them back off the mattress, landing on the floor with Kagome on top, but didn't stop her when she scrambled off him to investigate the parcel. Instead, he folded his hands behind his head and contemplated the patterns the fading sunlight threw across the ceiling of her bedroom, as well as the view he had up the short skirt of her cuirass.
 
“Oi… what is it?” he asked, when silence descended after the zippers running the length of the packaging were opened. He twisted his head so that he could see her face, and the look on her countenance intrigued him enough that he rolled up onto his knees to peer into the parcel. Sniffing, he identified the contents as being made out of the same leather as Kagome's… uh-oh.
 
He wasn't entirely prepared for the brilliant smile Kagome turned on him as she reached into the crinkling wrapper and withdrew a glistening black object decorated with red tracery. His throat went dry as he eyed the motorcycle helmet, but the smile full of promise she gave him as she turned the item over in her hands gave him pause. “Let's hit the shower… this will be a night you won't forget!” With that, she was stripped out of her gear and out the door into the bathroom before he could react with any sort of intent.
 
Hmph he grumbled as he made to follow her. If I didn't know better, I'd say she's developed some `enhanced speed'
 
Fifteen minutes later, they were sitting around the table with Sota, Ojii-san and Kioko Higurashi. The joked-about wasabi-spiked sushi turned out to be on the menu, along with cooling bowls of mildly vinegary sunomono salad containing skinny rice noodles, plump shrimp and cucumber chunks. While they were at the table, the sun slipped behind the horizon, and Inuyasha's transformation began. All conversation ground to a halt, the rest watching in fascination as his silver mane rippled over into black, his ears shifted down the sides of his head and dramatically changed their shape, his cheek stripes disappeared and his golden eyes turned dark blue-violet. He arched an eyebrow and smirked. “Keh. I know I'm just so good-looking that you can't tear your eyes away…” As the rest groaned, Kagome stole a shrimp roll from his plate, popped it in her mouth and grinned at him.
 
“Now that you're a `mere human', it's time to start our evening.”
 
Kioko Higurashi smiled at Kagome. “Ah, you peeked, did you?”
 
“Of course… can't wait to take him out…”
 
Inuyasha took advantage of her distraction to swipe a wasabi-loaded smoked salmon roll from her plate, and then had to blink rapidly as the hot green paste made his eyes water. “Um, Kagome… you aren't serious about us going out on that thing of yours…?”
 
Her answering smile was rather suggestive. “I certainly am, dog-boy. It's time you felt some real horse-power between your thighs.”
 
“But…”
 
“The smell won't hurt your nose, the sound won't hurt your ears… any other objections?”
 
“If he doesn't want to go, I'll come with you!” Sota put in, and that did it. Inuyasha made a face, and gave in.
 
“All right, wench. What do you have in mind?” He was very gratified by the delighted squeal and enthusiastic hug from his girl.
 
“Let's go exploring. C'mon… let's get you suited up!” She began piling the plates and tea cups.
 
Sota pushed back his chair and stood up. “Let me help Inuyasha, Sis. There's a few things that a guy should have explained by another guy…”
 
Kagome blinked at her brother. “Pardon? What can you possibly tell Inuyasha that he doesn't already know?”
 
Sota's answering smirk was very toothy. “Boxers or briefs, for instance.” Kagome turned rather pink, and even her mother giggled.
 
Ojii-chan waved his chopsticks. “Nothing wrong with fundoshi; those infernal zipper-things are downright dangerous to your manhood!” Inuyasha's eyes grew rather round, but before he could ask anything, Sota had him by the arm and was pulling him towards the stairs.
 
“Don't mind Gramps, Inuyasha. He's never ridden a motorcycle,” the teen confided in a stage whisper.
 
“For your information, young man, I have. How do you think we managed after the war?” Ojii-chan drained his teacup with the air of a man of the world. Kagome stopped half-way to the sink as she contemplated the idea of her grandfather astride a motorcycle… and but couldn't quite extend the vision to include him in modern dress. Those wide hakama would be dynamite around the wheels
 
Her mother winked, and beckoned her over. Pressing a wad of folded bills into her hand, she whispered, “From Yashita… have fun.” Kagome looked at the yen notes and gulped at the amount. Kioko folded her fingers over Kagome's. “He insisted, dear. He has very fond memories of tonight.”
 
The girl exhaled a breath she really wasn't aware she'd been holding. “It's kind of weird to have him funding it, though.”
 
“Then pretend the money is from the Emperor, if you prefer.”
 
Kagome chuckled. “All right, then. I'll go up and get changed. Thanks for dinner, Mom.”
 
Kioko hugged her daughter. “I'm so glad that both of you are home safe… and no blood. What a nice change from the last time!” She reached up and tucked a few stray strands behind Kagome's ear, then lowered her voice. “You have an appointment to see Lord Sessaki tomorrow afternoon. He wishes to speak to you.”
 
“I'll bet he does; I have a few questions for him, too!” She blew her mother a kiss and bounded up the stairs. The boys had vacated her room for Sota's, taking the riding gear with them. Rummaging through her closet, she pulled out her bright red leathers and then found a dark tank top. It's too hot to wear anything else… She bit her lip and then decided to be a bit naughty. No bra… wonder how that will go over… Smirking a bit, she quickly changed into the leathers, noting in passing that she still needed the belt to hold up the pants. Collecting her helmet and gloves, she tucked Yashita's money deeply into her pocket. As she slung her jacket over her shoulder, she paused to glance in the mirror.
 
A scarred old-young woman gazed back at her with serious, storm-grey eyes. Kagome blinked and looked more closely. She lifted a hand and traced the lines marring her face with a fingertip. The horizontal silver left from Yura's attack over a year ago, and the long vertical pale pink from Gitoumaru's broken blade only a few months previous blazoned one cheek. The corners of her eyes were pinched-looking; the irises glittered with silver flecks… she peered a little more intently at herself, wondering at the metallic sparkle.
 
Like Inuyasha's youkai markings, this is the sign of the Phoenix.
Good gods… look, tonight I'm just Kagome… going on a date with my husband… no death, no destruction… and definitely no hitch hikers.
Understood, Nixie. Have fun.
 
As she stepped out of her bedroom, a small explosion of bad language from Sota's room instantly lightened her mood and made her giggle. Hope he didn't catch anything important in the zipper! Bouncing down the stairs, she put her helmet and gloves down on the kitchen table along with her jacket, and helped her mother with the dishes. Kioko eyed her daughter's chest for a moment, but reserved comment about the obvious lack of modest underpinnings. The sound of footsteps descending the stairs spun both of them around, and Kagome groped for the back of the nearest chair for support.
 
In a flash, she knew why Sota had offered to help Inuyasha… and it wasn't just because of attack-zippers or bunchy underwear. The little brat had been busy. Inuyasha may have gone up the stairs, but it was a slender, younger Yashita who came down. Her hanyou wore black leather trousers that looked like they'd been moulded to him, a snug white tank top that showed off his lean, muscled build… and Sota had braided his black hair into a thick cable, throwing his chiselled bone structure into high relief. He carried his red-trimmed black jacket over one shoulder and the helmet in the crook of his arm.
 
Kioko Higurashi reached over and pretended to wipe Kagome's chin, startling the girl out of her daze. “You're drooling, dear. I must admit, he does look wonderful!”
 
Kagome realized that Inuyasha was awaiting her verdict; he shuffled his feet a bit and looked uncertain despite her mother's compliment. She quickly crossed the space between them and laid her hands on his chest, smiling up at him. “You look amazing, koibito. I'll have to beat the other women off with sticks.”
 
He scowled. “Beat away… I'm only interested in you. Are you sure I look okay? These hakama feel a bit tight…”
 
“Trust me, they look fabulous.”
 
A roguish smile quirked his lips, and his eyes sparkled. “Really?”
 
“Really. I'm not going to inflate your ego any further, or there won't be room for the three of us on the bike. Let's go!” Snatching her own gear up from the table, the pair chorused round of goodbyes before escaping into the foyer. Kagome dug around the shoe racks and located the combat boots Shimano had given Inuyasha the previous winter; he put them on without protest and was finished tying them before she completed buckling her own boots.
 
Once outside, in the shadowed darkness, he pulled her close and kissed her. “Do we really have to go out, koishii?” he whispered, trailing a line of heated kisses down her throat, his hand splaying across her rear to press her into his hard body.
 
“Mmm…yes… I want to show a fine-looking man a bit more of life on this side of the well…”
 
“Keh… all right, then. Let's do this.”
 
She chuckled as she wove her fingers with his. “Don't make it sound like the bike is something you have to slay. Until I met you, riding it was the closest I came to flying.”
They reached the shed, and Kagome shrugged into her jacket… then caught her breath when Inuyasha shouldered into his and pulled his braid out of the collar.
 
The black leather gleamed in the moth-fluttered light, the red piping accentuating the clean lines of his body. His eyes crinkled in amusement as he cupped her chin in his hand, rubbing the pad of his thumb over her lips. “You're drooling again, koishii.”
 
Kagome shook herself all over, and then grinned saucily at him. “You do look good enough to eat, actually.”
 
His answering smile was so seductive that her knees went weak. “I hope so. C'mon… the sooner we get out there and do whatever, the sooner we can come back.” He fumbled a bit with her zipper and did up her jacket for her before closing his own and readying the helmet. Kagome showed him how to widen the opening, but he winced anyways as he pulled it on. She flipped up the visor so he wouldn't feel too claustrophobic; he batted her hands, grumbling that Sota had helped him try it on a few times, and he was fine, dammit.
 
Smirking inside her helmet, she entered the shed and backed the motorcycle out before straddling it and firing the ignition. She revved the engine a couple of times until it settled into its usual rumbling idle, and then beckoned the hanyou. He approached the machine a bit warily; she admired the way the leather clung to his muscular thighs. Pointing down at the steel peg jutting out from the frame, she said, “Put one foot on that, swing your leg over and we're outta here.”
 
He obeyed, swearing mildly when his booted foot first missed the peg on the opposite side, but finally settled himself behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist. Kagome bit her lip to stifle a chuckle, grinning widely. Hope he doesn't find out that he's sitting in the `bitch seat'! Slowly opening the throttle, she wove back and forth down the incline to not only warm up the tires, but also to adjust to the weight against her back. Finally satisfied that she wouldn't lose her balance and take the bike over, she paused just inside the shrine gates. “Snap down your visor… here we go, dog-boy.” His gloved hand reached to briefly touch her cheek before he tapped her shield down into place, and then he clicked his own into position. Watching for an opening in traffic, very conscious of the powerful body curved around hers as well as the power beneath her, she accelerated them out into the night.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“What did you call that weird drink again?”
 
“Bubble tea.”
 
“I dunno. Those globby things in the bottom were pretty strange… but not as strange as that `dur-ee-an' fruit!”
 
“You have to admit, it was delicious.”
 
“Keh! It tasted fine, but the smell was sure something! I couldn't deal with that any other night!”
 
In the darkness of the earliest hours, they were curled up together on a bench in a small prospect overlooking Tokyo Bay. Kagome thoroughly enjoyed taking Inuyasha through some of the famous districts of the city, since up until that point he'd only ventured out into her neighbourhood night market and then a slightly longer shopping trip once on the subway.
 
The hanyou was intensely interested by the sights, sounds and smells; every once in a while, he squeezed her extra-tight while pointing at something and she would sheer out of traffic to investigate. He took to the bike like he was a natural, leaning into the corners with her, staying effortlessly loose while helping her to balance the machine. She first took him on the expressway to the Imperial Palace, opening the throttle for the effect, then slowing to circle the moated grounds while pointing out the entrance she used to reach the Armoury, and then spun off towards the Ginza. The explosion of neon, lights and people in that district overwhelmed him, and they only passed through before heading towards Shibuya. They had rolled up in front of one of the dozens of upscale noodle shops serving the night-clubbers of the district, and slurped bowls of thick udon noodles in broth while watching the parade of people.
 
Even here, Inuyasha's instincts didn't desert him; he sat sideways to the counter, with his back to the wall, where he had the clearest view of their surroundings… and the local wildlife had a fairly clear view of him. Kagome had the unnerving experience of watching other girls sizing up her hanyou, and apparently finding him extremely attractive to the point of openly flirting with him. He couldn't help noticing one tricked-out kogal who was outrageously fluttering her eyelashes at him while crossing and re-crossing her legs to draw attention to her micro-mini-skirt.
 
“Kagome… does that girl have something wrong with her? She seems kind of jittery.” Kagome nearly swallowed her chopsticks at his puzzled tone, and ended up coughing while he gently thumped her back.
 
When she could talk, she gasped out, “She's trying to get your attention, Inuyasha.”
 
“Is she a prostitute? Can't she tell I'm with you?” Now he sounded aggrieved, since the girl was continuing her suggestive antics, egged on by her giggling friends.
 
Kagome snickered while she fished for a slice of mushroom in her bowl. “Guess she isn't very observant.”
 
“Keh. Wouldn't survive ten seconds on the other side, would she? Be youkai-bait for sure.” Kagome was snorting helplessly by this time, and didn't offer any resistance when he slipped his hand around the nape of her neck and drew her in for a very public, very erotic kiss that narrowed their world to the heated contact of their lips. She blinked dazedly at him when he finally pulled away, but he held her in place with his intense gaze. “Think she took the hint?” he murmured. Kagome risked a look. The pack of kogals were gaping at them, as were the rest of the patrons, and she flushed while Inuyasha just smirked. She quickly finished her bowl and paid so that they could escape.
 
Once outside, she had barely turned on him when he caught her around the waist and kissed her thoroughly, inciting wolf whistles from a lounging group of youths. He held her in the kiss until she relaxed against him. “Dammit… I'm supposed to give you heck for doing that in public…” she grumbled.
 
“Keh. Promise to spank me later?” he purred in her ear, and laughingly blocked her half-hearted punch. Kagome paused, watching him in the bright artificial light, noticing how relaxed he was in this strange environment. He probably doesn't think there are any youkai to worry about… little does he know that the owner of this noodle shop is a tanuki-youkai with a rather thin concealment spell. Lucky that he can't sense a darn thing right now.
 
They had left Shibuya behind, and headed towards Tokyo Bay, stopping twice along the way for chilled slices of fresh durian fruit sold from a hand-cart, and again for bubble tea at a tiny kiosk in a neighbourhood night market. Kagome wondered what time it was; certainly well after midnight, and they had a long ride back to the Sunset Shrine.
 
“Come on, dog-boy… it's time to go home.” She hopped off of his lap and stretched up tall, her unzipped jacket flaring open. He stood up quickly behind her and slid his hands under her jacket, up over her ribs to cup her breasts. She squeaked and instantly folded her arms across her chest, trapping his hands. He didn't mind, just pulled her close and gently squeezed her soft globes while nibbling on her ear.
 
“Do you have any idea what it's been like all night, knowing you're not wearing anything under this, and being pressed up against you like I've mounted you?” he whispered, rocking his hips suggestively, then groaned lightly when she pushed back.
 
“Let's go home, and you can show me what it's done to you,” she murmured, but he was in no hurry, humming deep in his throat as he explored her curves. He ran his tongue-tip down the side of her neck, pulled the collar of her jacket down to kiss her nape, all the while slowly grinding against her. Kagome was seriously considering engaging in a very public obscene act right on the park bench, when Inuyasha startled her right out of any lustful thoughts.
 
“Teach me how to ride, koishii?” he asked, while nibbling her earlobe in a very distracting manner.
 
Stalling for time, she played dumb. “Ride what?”
 
His chuckle was warm and rich as he turned her in his arms. “The bike, koishii. Teach me how to ride the bike?”
 
As he kissed her, she blinked rapidly. “But… but…”
 
“It doesn't look that hard.” He kissed her again, slowly, wetly, and very deeply until she was nearly whimpering, and her objections were thoroughly scrambled. “Please, koishii? I'll be very, very, very thankful…”
 
Gasping a little, she pushed away from him. “Okay, dog-boy. Let's try it before my brain turns to mush and I forget all the safety things I have to tell you. Your kisses ought to be considered illegal weapons.” She stepped over to the bike, fishing her keys out of her pocket. Inuyasha was right on her heels, his hands again beginning to slide upward under her jacket. She swatted him. “Stop that! How do you expect me to think straight?”
 
“Okay, I'll be a good boy…” Smirking, he straddled the bike while she fumbled the key into the ignition. Before she fired the engine, she explained the importance of the brake, and how the throttle worked. Then, once the bike roared to life, she jogged beside him up and down the nearly deserted street as he tested his balance and practised braking at slow speeds. When he opened the throttle and accelerated, leaving her behind, she admitted to being impressed at how quickly he mastered the technology. Survival of the fittest in action.
 
The hanyou completed a circuit and came abreast of her. Kagome caught a flash of white teeth as Inuyasha gunned the engine, laying a small patch of rubber as he took off. Her heart in her mouth, she let out a small shriek as he spun the bike in a 180 and blasted back towards her. He braked at the last moment, flinging the machine in a sideways drift. Straightening himself and the bike upright, he flashed a huge grin. “Keh! Nothing to it…OW! What the hell was that for, wench?” he demanded, rubbing his smarting ear and glaring ferociously at her.
 
Kagome planted her fists on her hips and glared right back. “For scaring me half to death! You could've lost control!”
 
He arched an eyebrow at her. “The only thing that makes me lose control is you, wench. C'mon…I'm taking us back.”
 
She gaped at him. “You can't, Inuyasha! You've only just tried this!”
 
He sighed, and folded his arms across his chest, but made no move to dismount from the idling motorcycle. “It isn't difficult, Kagome. This thing's easier than a horse to control, because it stops when you want it to!”
 
“You don't have a license.” Her voice was flat.
 
Inuyasha just managed to not roll his eyes. “Whatever that is. Let's go, Kagome… hand over the helmet and climb on…”
 
“You don't know the way home.”
 
He fixed her with a sharp look. “Do you think I wasn't paying attention when we left? `Course I know the way to the shrine. If you don't believe me, consider this a test.”
 
Kagome just stood there and looked helplessly at him, the objections to his plan cycling around inside her brain. Inuyasha watched her keenly. Finally, she turned away and retrieved the helmets from the bench. Handing his over, she refused to meet his eyes, standing out of reach while she ducked into her helmet and snapped down the visor. Zipping up her jacket and pulling on her gloves, she circled around to approach the bike… and him… from behind. Sliding onto the seat, she stiffly leaned against his back and lightly gripped his hips.
 
Why doesn't our bitch trust us?
No fuckin' idea.
Does she truly think we would endanger her?
Guess we'll just have to show her.
 
Inside his helmet, Inuyasha rolled his eyes. He waited for another moment to see if Kagome would relax; when she didn't, he squelched the impulse to take off with a jolt, thereby forcing her to hang on. Instead, he smoothly accelerated into a gentle turn towards the direction of the very distant shrine. She leaned with him into the turn, but her body was tense. Even through the gloves, her fingers were digging into his hips so hard that he was fairly sure he'd be bruised. Shaking his head a bit, he proceeded to demonstrate that he not only understood how to pilot the bike safely, but also the rules of the road.
 
It took quite a few blocks, but Kagome finally started to relax slightly. If she was going to be perfectly honest, she had to admit that Inuyasha was a better driver. He waited patiently at red lights, checked carefully before pulling into intersections, left at least two car lengths between them and the preceding vehicle… and never exceeded the speed limit. The hanyou smirked when he felt her settle fully against his back, her hands sliding around his waist to clasp in front.
 
Finally.
She is difficult to convince.
If she was easy, it wouldn't be half as much fun.
 
When they reached the shrine, the eastern sky was lightening and the stars beginning to fade. Kagome dismounted and opened the gates wide enough for the bike; Inuyasha gently accelerated up the incline to the shed. She pulled off her helmet and scrubbed her fingers through her hair before pulling the ironwork closed and starting up the hill.
 
Well, that was a fun little jaunt!
Too weird, taking Inuyasha out on a date on Yashita's yen and teaching him how to ride the motorcycle that he'll pick out for me…
The line between your lives becoming a little blurred
Ain't that the truth?
 
“Hey, Kagome… is the bike always this unstable?” She glanced up at her hanyou's query and realized he was still parking the motorcycle. Picking up her pace, she jogged the rest of the way to the shed, peered into the dimly lit interior and realized the problem instantly.
 
“You have to angle the front wheel slightly.”
 
“You'd better come show me. This thing's damn heavy.”
 
Putting down her helmet outside the door, she squeezed past him. While Inuyasha balanced the bike, Kagome snapped the kickstand fully into position and turned the front forks slightly to the left. “Okay… you can let the stand take the weight now.” He allowed the motorcycle to settle, and she waited for him to exit the shed.
 
Instead, he turned and caught her in his arms, hugging her close. “Thank you, koishii. Now I understand how much you enjoy riding this thing.” His embrace tightened. “Tonight was really great… can we do it again, soon?”
 
Kagome hugged back. “I'm sorry for doubting you, Inuyasha; I'm really, really glad we could do this together. I suppose we could do this again… uh-oh, next month is the New Moon Festival, so I'm at the Palace…”
 
“Keh! While you're hanging out with the Emperor, I could explore more of the city. You'll notice that I brought us home without any direction from you.” He chuckled at her startled look and gave her nose an affectionate tweak. “We won't always be together on this side, so I'll have to learn my way around, right?” Kagome gazed up at him while her stomach did another one of those lurches, and slowly nodded.
 
Inuyasha squeezed her ribs again, then released her to pick up his helmet and gloves on the way out of the shed. Kagome followed more slowly and stooped to pick up her own gear. Her hanyou waited for her, smiling cheerfully at her in the dawning light and wrapped his arm around her shoulders before dropping a kiss onto her forehead. He led Kagome towards the house, their boots clicking on the paving. “Your mom won't mind if we sleep in tomorrow, will she?” he asked, as he slid open the outer door.
 
“No, but I have an afternoon appointment at the Academy with Lord Sessaki that I shouldn't miss.”
 
“Don't wake me up on your way out of bed, then…”
 
“Won't have to worry about that, since you'll be sleeping on the floor.”
 
He gave her a gentle swat on the rear. “Oi, wench… why are you so cranky?”
 
Kagome sighed, and reached up to touch his cheek before bending to remove her boots. “Sorry, koibito. Too much on my mind.”
 
He sat down on the step to untie the laces of his combat boots. “Keh. We're taking a couple of days off to fix up Etsu and Shiori's new hut before we go out looking for Naraku, so relax a little.”
 
“I'll try.” She gave him a small smile as she placed her footwear on the rack. He regarded her with a searching look, but shifted over so that she could enter the house while he worked on the second set of laces. “I'll meet you upstairs…” He nodded agreeably.
 
After tip-toeing up the stairs of the sleeping house and slipping into her bedroom, she quickly took off the leathers and dressed in a sleep tank and shorts. Hanging up her gear and stowing her helmet under the desk, she left a hanger out for him and slid between the sheets just as Inuyasha entered and quietly closed the door behind him.
 
In the dim light of the bedside lamp, Kagome watched him strip, then carefully clip the sleek trousers to the hanger and arrange the jacket as if he'd been doing it for years. Muttering about the cluttered appearance of her closet, he found space for his gear and then loosened the braid until his hair flowed down his back. Tossing the leather tie onto the desk, he turned out the light and climbed into bed with her… still wearing the white tank and boxer shorts. That caught her attention. “Um…what's with this?” she asked, plucking at the tank after he settled beside her.
 
In answer, he hooked a finger under the strap of her top. “Figured since you were dressing for bed, I ought to as well; although, I must admit to a preference for being naked.”
 
“Oh.” Her voice was very small.
 
Inuyasha regarded her with his dark eyes for a moment before slipping his arms around her and tucking her under his chin. He worked one hand up under her tank and began rubbing her back in slow circles while humming quietly. “Something's been eating at you for weeks, koishii. What's up?”
 
Kagome fiddled with a strand of dark hair spilling over his shoulder and ran through all the issues cluttering her mind, trying to find a safe topic. Naraku. Shiori's fate. Negotiating with Sesshomaru. Guilt over the Jewel shards. The future. The past. She sighed. “I-I don't know where to start…”
 
“We're going to win, Kagome. That's all that matters.” There was such conviction in his voice that it brought tears to her eyes; she hugged him tightly, burying her face in his chest and fought off the urge to tell him everything, to share her burden with him… yet she knew she couldn't. I'm alone in this because I have one foot in both worlds… Instead, seeking distraction, she pulled up on his tank.
 
“Take this off, please, koibito?”
 
“Oi… only if you take off something, too!”
 
Smiling crookedly into his chest, she wriggled her way out of her pyjama shorts and dropped them over the side of the bed. He raised an eyebrow as his face disappeared behind the material of his top; she helped free his arms and hair from the garment. Inuyasha regarded her thoughtfully, silken darkness spilling over his shoulders, before lowering himself to kiss her softly and with full intent. The material of his boxers tickled her thighs, and it wasn't long before she was tugging on them, trying to pull them off his lean hips while not breaking the kiss.
 
The hanyou chuckled, and finally assisted by raising himself just high enough that she could slide the boxers down his thighs after slipping her hand inside the front to protect his erection from a painful bend. A few contortions, and he tossed the underwear onto the floor. Snuggling back alongside her, he enjoyed the sensation of skin on skin… now, to get rid of that blasted top… He was rather surprised when Kagome hooked her leg around his and used it as leverage to roll him onto his back. Straddling his hips, she smiled down at him while she stroked stray locks of hair away from his chest, then leaned to kiss and nibble her way across his skin, along his collarbone, up his throat until he tangled one hand in her hair while gripping her hip with the other and tried to enter her mouth with his tongue and her body with his at the same moment.
 
Breaking free, Kagome sat back up and pulled her tank over her head, then reached between them to steady his erect flesh before slowly, wetly engulfing him with her heated core. Inuyasha gasped and bucked helplessly, pulling her down hard while driving upwards until he somehow managed to stop and lie still, panting hard. “H-how do you want it, Kagome? Fast or… uhhhhh…” She ground her hips against him, and the sensation nearly broke his rapidly-fraying control, especially when her lips and fingers found his nipples. When she halted her mind-blowing assault on his skin, he opened his eyes to find her regarding him with a very sultry smile. Leaning in, she raised her hips slightly, making him nearly whine from the loss of full contact, and breathed in his still-human ear.
 
“I want to ride you until you scream, koibito.” With a nip on his earlobe, she seated herself fully onto his shaft and gave a slow, sensuous grind that tore a low groan out of his throat… and then he gave her a very challenging grin.
 
“Keh. I'll give you a ride, all right… so long as I get to return the favour….”
 
“You'll be too exhausted by the time I'm finished with you.”
 
His grin became a broad smirk. “Oi… bring it on, koishii. Sunrise is only a few moments away…”
 
“Then hold on, dog-boy… this'll be fast and hard!”
 
“Just the way I like it… and I can play with these…” As he cupped her breasts, he ran his thumbs over her nipples, delighting in her response.
 
Ohhhh…I-nu-ya-sha…”
 
“Keh… these are kind of like twin throttles, actually… you rev up when I touch `em …”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж