InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Burden of Silence ( Chapter 60 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. All characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan Publishing, and VIZ is in the dog-pile somewhere, too.
 
Bouquets: I had much help and inspiration for this chapter. Special thanks to Nokomarie the Snake for her excellent CMA help, and to ArtemisMoon and Midoriko-Sama for their suggestions!
 
A/N: This fic was honoured in the recent IYFG voting with a first place in Best AU. Thanks to all for their support!
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 60: Burden of Silence
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Present Day
Next morning
 
Inuyasha wrinkled his nose as he surfaced from a very pleasant sleep. Something was tickling the sensitive hairs inside his right ear, making it flicker and twitch. Growling lightly, he flattened the appendage against his scalp while nuzzling the soft flesh pressed up against his cheek. He began drifting off, but that allowed his ear to flex back into position… and the tickling started again. Fortunately, some slightly more awake part of his brain recognized the rhythmic pattern as matching that of the warm body he was cuddled up to, and he just managed to avoid painfully waking Kagome up with a careless swat of his claws.
 
Smiling gently, he peered up at his mate through his bangs. Her face was lightly flushed, her lips slightly parted in her sleep. She's exhausted he thought smugly. I rode her pretty hard once dawn broke… He sighed and happily snuggled back into her breasts, tucking his head under her chin and contentedly breathing the rich, mingled scent of their recent lovemaking. Her fingers flexed against his back, and she murmured something while her arms tightened around his shoulders. He thought he caught Sesshomaru's name as she moved restlessly, but then her words just became an unintelligible mumble. Frowning a bit, he carefully changed their positions, sliding up her body until he could protectively cradle her against his chest while running his claws through her hair.
 
She's worrying about how to convince the asshole.
We did not allow him to enrage us the last time.
Lucky for him; he's nothing next to Ryukotsusei.
If it means enough to our bitch that concern over recruiting him is disturbing her sleep, we must do our utmost to assist her.
When did you get all mature? You used to want to kick his ass just as much as me!
If our bitch is upset, then she does not let us mount her as much as we would like. Therefore, if she is happy
That's an equation worth considering. When did we get so smart?
When you started listening to me, of course.
Keh. Make yourself useful and help me soothe her.
With pleasure… maybe she will wake up and want to do that thing to our hip stripes with her tongue that makes us shiver
Animal.
Calling yourself names again?
 
Over the rumble of his low purr, he heard Mrs. Higurashi's light tread exit her room and come down the hall. Damn… forgot to lock the door! He quickly checked to make sure that anything embarrassing was covered by either the sheet or their tangled hair, and feigned sleep when she peeked into the room. The door clicked shut, and he heard her quietly warning Sota to keep the noise down as he readied himself for school. He wondered where Ojii-san was; hopefully already out sweeping the courtyard. We might have woken him up; Kagome was pretty loud…
 
He studied the girl in his arms, concernedly noting the pinched look of her features. Wonder what really happened a couple of nights ago, when she let all hell loose; she said it was a training session with that damn sword demon, but… he must have really pissed her off to cause that kind of blast. She also made that odd comment about being afraid that we were `running out of time'. Kagome sighed and murmured his name in her sleep, her lips curving into a soft smile. His heart warming, the hanyou kissed her forehead and rested his cheek against her hair before falling back into a light doze. I will protect you, koishii, even if I have to kick that stupid sword's ass in order to do it!
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
A few hours later, Kagome's eyes fluttered open when her subconscious announced that she was being bitten. It took her a couple of groggy moments to realize that a tooth from Inuyasha's rosary was digging into her skin as his chest evenly rose and fell under her cheek. Wincing lightly, she brushed the necklace out of the way, and then paused, squinting at it. I wonder when I removed this? I don't really need to restrain him any more… well, except when Koga is around… Unintentionally mimicking her mate, she tilted her head back to look up at him, and smiled at the hanyou's angelic visage.
 
Dark lashes fanned across his strong cheekbones, and contrasted with his golden skin, framed by tousled silver bangs and side-locks. His face was completely relaxed; he looked so young and innocent that Kagome felt a sharp pang for the difficult life he endured after being rejected by both his youkai and human families… and another for what he would go through once separated from her by the well and five hundred years. Another question for Sessaki she thought. What was his reasoning for kicking Inuyasha and his mother out of the fortress? Sessaki! Crap! What time is it?
 
She rolled away from him, fully intending to bolt for the door and find out exactly how much trouble she might be in, when strong arms yanked her back. “Where do you think you're going, wench?” Inuyasha inquired as he caged her neatly with his arms and legs before kissing the crook of her neck.
 
“Let me go, Inuyasha! I have a meeting with Lord Sessaki… shit, I hope that I'm not late!” She squirmed and struggled, but he merely grunted and rolled slightly on top of her, suggestively rocking himself against her from behind. Kagome squeaked, and redoubled her efforts to break free. “I'm serious, dog-boy! Lemme go!” She managed to elbow him in the ribs; he `oofed' gently while letting more of his weight rest on her, effectively flattening her into the mattress.
 
“Why don't you try `sitting' me?” he suggested cheekily while nibbling on her ear.
 
All he received in response to that suggestion was a gasped expletive; laughing, he rolled off her. Kagome laid still and sucked air back into her lungs, then growled at the chortling hanyou before making another break for it. She was recaptured and then kissed thoroughly, locked in place by a clawed hand tangled in her hair. Inuyasha held her in the kiss until she nearly forgot that she was supposed to be mad at him, and landed a punch on his chest. He clutched the injured flesh and flopped back down on the bed, groaning dramatically as she made a face at him and scrambled to her feet.
 
“You are such a brat, dog-boy…”
 
Just as she reached for the doorknob, he drawled, “Don't you think you ought to put something on, koishii? You'll give your Ojii-san quite a show if you go out there looking like that.” The gloriously bed-headed girl glanced down at her nude body, swore indecently, then fumbled into a tank and shorts. She had just run her hands through her hair, tugged the top down and shot him a scorching look when someone tapped on the door. Inuyasha smirked and pulled the sheet up just high enough to cover the dark blue striping curling up over his hips, then insouciantly threw one arm up over his head.
 
“Kagome? A car from the Academy will be here in an hour to pick you up. If you want something to eat, you'd better hit the shower!” Mrs. Higurashi carolled cheerily through the panel. Kagome glared at the louche hanyou before opening the door to smile dazzlingly at her mother.
 
“Thanks, mom. I'd really appreciate some food… but, why are they sending a car?”
 
Mrs. Higurashi's smile became rather coy. “I accepted it on your behalf; I thought you'd probably be too sore to sit on your motorcycle… and dear, isn't that tank a little on the revealing side? Lunch in twenty…” As her mother disappeared down the stairs, Kagome realized her breasts were, to all intents and purposes, on full display in Inuyasha's tank top.
 
She turned on the snickering hanyou. “Why didn't you say something?”
 
“Keh! The view was pretty awesome, so why would I?”
 
“You're a freakin' dog sometimes, you know that?”
 
“Woof.” He counted to ten after the bedroom door nearly slammed off its hinges as she exited at top speed. Tossing the sheet aside, he bounded over to the door and poked his head out. Ears flickering, he scanned the hallway for observers before dashing into the bathroom. Grinning, he quietly closed the door and locked it, then approached the steaming shower stall on an oblique angle. Whipping the door open, he had the deliciously-slippery girl pinned up against the cool tiles in a heartbeat.
 
Kagome squawked and fluently cursed his ancestry while clawing the soap out of her eyes. He ignored her litany, instead kissing her shoulders and up her throat, stopping to nibble her earlobe with his fangtip, all the while rubbing his body against hers and losing himself in the sensations of skin gliding sleekly over skin. Unimpressed and definitely not distracted, his girl punched him rather hard in the biceps.
 
“For crying out loud, Inuyasha! I don't want to be late for this appointment…” He pressed more kisses across her forehead while sliding his hands down over her hips to cup her buttocks. In a quick movement, he lifted her off her feet, nudged her legs into position around his waist and paused, trying to kiss her while she just as adroitly tried to squirm out of his grip and avoid his lips. “Would you cut it out, already?”
 
He pressed her firmly against the wall; Kagome glared at him and bared her teeth. Inuyasha arched his eyebrows at her, trying not to laugh at her fierce expression. “Relax, koishii… I've hardly touched you for the last couple of weeks. Let's play a little…”
 
“You don't have to make up for all that lost time in six hours, do you?” she snapped back, then let out a startled noise when the tip of his erection found its way into her body. “Hey!” She twisted violently, and he nearly dropped her, causing her to yelp when his claws dug in a little harder than he intended. “Didn't we agree last time we tried it this way that it was better in theory than in practise?”
 
“Practise makes perfect… c'mon, Kagome,” he purred, carefully tightening his grip while leaning more of his weight against her and not incidentally sliding deeper inside her. “I really, really, really love to touch you, and you feel so good… please?” His voice rumbled through her ribcage, instantly hardening her nipples; she tried to ignore her body's traitorously enthusiastic response to his touch, but then he trailed his tongue-tip up the sensitive skin just in front of her ear and she bit back a moan. “Lunch isn't for twenty minutes; you only need five to get dressed, and they're sending a car for you…”
 
“I'm sure there's a flaw in your reasoning somewhere, dog-boy, but I'll be damned if I can find it…” Sighing, she wrapped her arms around his neck and finally surrendered, enjoying the sensuous glide of his tongue against hers, the shifting of his muscles under his taut skin, the water running over them… and the intense sensation of his body fully entering hers.
 
Inuyasha broke the kiss and rocked his hips into her, his heavy-lidded golden eyes dark with desire. Nuzzling into the side of her neck, he shifted her again, spreading her legs even wider and bringing their bodies into the closest possible contact. He murmured disjointed endearments into her skin as he braced his legs and began to thrust, barely hearing her soft moans and whimpers over the sound of the water and the blood rushing into his ears. Rumbling deeply, he tilted her hips slightly upward. Kagome gasped and tightened her legs around his waist when he hit something deep inside that made sparks go off behind her eyelids. Her previous objections disappeared down the drain like soapsuds as she clung to his shoulders; his clawtips prickled her most tender skin, but she didn't care, mewling his name as he picked up the pace until she screamed into his shoulder…
 
… and downstairs, Mrs. Higurashi shook her head while she sliced more vegetables, reasoning that Inuyasha would certainly be ravenous after yet another workout. Honestly, those two… like a couple of rabbits in heat! I'm going to have to speak to them about it, since Ojii-chan was rather put out at being woken up this morning… A loud `thud' shook the rafters, but the water didn't shut off for a few more minutes, and the bathroom door didn't open for quite a while after that. When the pair crossed the hallway into the bedroom, she waited for the expected creak of bedsprings, but it didn't happen, so she applied herself to readying the simple stir-fry.
 
Five minutes later, a bright-eyed Inuyasha bounced down the stairs, wearing his white linen juban and his fire-rat hakama. “Hullo, Okaa-san! That smells great!”
 
Kioko smiled at the cheerful amber-eyed young man and mentally sighed. Not going to rain on the boy's parade; he won't be enjoying himself like this for much longer… “What's taking Kagome?”
 
The hanyou grinned carelessly. “Can't figure out what to wear to see this Sessaki guy.”
 
The dark-haired girl thumped down the stairs a couple of minutes later, resplendent in spotless white hakama, a white kosode… and a flaming scarlet haori with extravagant sleeves, which she carefully flipped behind her as she took her seat at the table. Inuyasha beamed at her and stole a quick kiss. Mrs. Higurashi paused in the act of plating the rice and vegetables, eyeing the distinctive fire-rat. “Your dress haori is in the cupboard…”
 
“I'd rather wear this, mom.” Kagome winked at her mother as she adjusted the knot in her obi and then smiled at Inuyasha. “I guess we'd better look in the storage shed to see what we need from the Armoury… what are you going to do this afternoon?”
 
“Go through the well and see about this hut for Etsu and Shiori, and then work with the houshi on the note we're sending to Sesshomaru about Kumo.”
 
“I'll join you later; think you can stay out of trouble long enough to not need your fire-rat?”
 
“Keh. How much trouble can I get in while fixing a roof?”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Shifting carefully in the back seat of the chauffeured car, Kagome was very, very glad that she wasn't riding her motorcycle on this hot afternoon in Tokyo traffic… and it wasn't only because of the heat beating down on the tinted windows.
 
I think I pulled something… I can't believe I didn't `sit' him for that little escapade!
Why would you `sit' him? You enjoyed yourself as much as he did!
It's the principle of the thing; he can't just do that any time the fancy takes him!
Why not?
Well, because…oh, hush.
Yashita will appreciate the fire-rat.
The fire-rat is for Sessaki, actually; I didn't want to wear my cuirass, and this is as good as armour plating when tackling a taiyoukai. I hope Yash is around; I want to thank him for the donation last night.
How are you going to show your appreciation?
Keep your mind out of the gutter, bobcat-boy.
He does remember things, you know… like making love to his wife in the shower the morning after his first motorcycle ride
Eep! I won't be able to look him in the eye!
Keep your eyes closed when you kiss him, and you won't have to worry.
 
“Here we are, Lady Kagome.” The driver winked in the rear-view mirror at her as one of the duty guardsmen double-timed it down the staircase to open the door.
 
Kagome grinned back. “Thanks for picking me up. Too hot to ride a motorcycle!”
 
“Air conditioning has its advantages.”
 
Chuckling, Kagome slid out of the car, trying not to wince from the friction of her hakama on her perforated posterior. Straightening, she returned the guardsman's salute; he escorted her up the stairs, returning to his post along with his partner. Once inside the cool, darkened corridor, she found her feet almost automatically treading in the direction of the Armoury… and Yashita's office… but pivoted on the balls of her feet and headed in the other direction, towards the staircase that led to the upper floors and Sessaki's office. I'll visit dog-boy later; I might need some serious cheering up!
 
Outside the ancient door, she squared her shoulders and schooled her expression before sliding the panel open. Nekajo peered at her over his glasses. “Your promptness is appreciated, Lady Kagome. Lord Sessaki will see you immediately.”
 
She would have commented on the imp's overly-polite demeanour, but instead she gravely inclined her head and took off her boots like a good little soldier, lining them up neatly next to the taiyoukai's soft leather footwear. Nekajo led her over to the inner door, knocked once, then opened the panel. “Lady Kagome to see you, my lord.” Kagome repressed the urge to point out that Sessaki would have known it was her from the moment she stepped into the outer office, instead marching smartly across the tatami mats and seating herself formally on the cushion positioned in front of the low teak desk.
 
Keeping strict `eyes front' as she shook the long sleeves of Inuyasha's haori into some semblance of order, she was aware of the sibilant noises of his calligraphy brush in the silence that descended as soon as the office door slid shut. “At ease, Higurashi,” Sessaki's cool voice intoned. “I will be with you in a moment.” She immediately rearranged her legs from the strain-inducing formal position to cross-legged, and laid her sword alongside her on the mat. Sessaki continued to write, the fine brush moving smoothly over the heavy paper; orders for the incoming draft of cadets, she surmised, so she was free to peruse her commanding officer and brother-in-law.
 
Even disguised as a human, the taiyoukai was a stunningly handsome creature. Fenik sure takes after him physically she thought. As he bent to his task, his formal topknot looped over his shoulder, then continued like a wide black ribbon down his back to coil on the floor next to his hip. Today he was wearing indigo-blue silk embroidered with delicate maple leaves; she noted that the intense yellow in one part of the pattern was the exact shade of his cat's-slit eyes, which were at this moment spell-darkened to deep golden-brown. Sessaki finished the last kanji and carefully laid the brush down on its porcelain rest, then met her gaze. “Good afternoon, Higurashi.” His eyebrow arched as he took in the fire-rat haori, but he said nothing.
 
“Good afternoon, sir. How is Lady Rin?”
 
“In good health.”
 
“And the newlyweds?”
 
“Still away.” His tone was very crisp; Kagome made a mental note to keep to safer topics. He cocked his head ever so slightly. “The reason for your intense observation just now?”
 
“Er… I was thinking how much Fenik looks like you, rather than Yashita.”
 
His eyes flashed yellow. “In canine form, the resemblance is obvious. You speak of your sword with such familiarity?”
 
“Um… that's what he prefers to be called, and he has a humanoid form, too.”
 
The taiyoukai paused, and gave her a searching look. “He has manifested himself to you as other than as a dog?”
 
“Yes; first against Tsubaki, and again the other night.”
 
“Yashita has never mentioned this. I wish to observe him; bring him forth if you can.”
 
Kagome instantly realized that this was a test. “Yes, sir.”
 
Fenik? Comb your hair… your father wants to see you.
Is my obi knot tied properly?
 
Sessaki managed to keep his face quite blank, but his widened eyes betrayed his surprise when the tall sword-demon created from his donated fang shimmered into existence at Kagome's side. The taiyoukai slowly looked the manifestation up and down, taking in the slender build, the parti-coloured hair, the purple cheek stripes, the glowing metallic eyes… and the silver-tufted ears. “You will do, Fenik. Dismissed.”
 
The sword-demon arched an eyebrow. `Dismissed'? Nixie might be under your orders, but don't expect me to bow and scrape.
 
Kagome was torn between giggling at the stunned expression that ever so briefly graced the taiyoukai's countenance and disciplining her sword for insubordination. “Um, Fenik… I don't think that's a very respectful way to address your, uh, father…”
 
Sessaki leaned forward, staring challengingly at the truculent demon as green vapour began to swirl; Kagome casually dropped her hand to dig her fingers into Fenik's ankle. The sword demon snorted, and folded his arms across his chest in a gesture so reminiscent of Inuyasha that there was no mistaking where he inherited his attitude. “You would be wise to heed your mistress' warning,” Sessaki rumbled, a bit of red leaking into his eyes. Kagome could almost see his hackles going up.
 
I was blood-forged to protect her from you and your brother. I bow to her and none other.
 
Kagome squeezed tighter. “Fenik, stand down. I don't need to be protected from Lord Sessaki. Save it for a real threat… please.”
 
Fenik smirked. As my lady commands. He mockingly inclined his head to the simmering taiyoukai as he vanished in a coil of vapour back into the scabbard.
 
Sessaki relaxed slightly, and Kagome thankfully noted the green vapours rapid dissipation. “A very forward creature, indeed… your eyes are almost as silver as his; does this indicate your powers have reached a higher level?”
 
“Um, yes. That is what Midoriko tells me.”
 
“Hm. Questions about the mission, Higurashi?”
 
She was rather startled that he cut to the chase so quickly, but then, she reasoned, it was not his way to waste time. “Yes, sir. We just had an encounter with your younger self, but I barely exchanged words with you… I don't see how I managed to convince you to join us, when the topic didn't come up between all the insults flying back and forth…”
 
“Was that when the hyakki-komori were eradicated?”
 
“Er, yes… and you loaned us the two tenbaryu to make sure we left the Western Lands as quickly as possible…”
 
“I was no longer your enemy at that point. The crucial conversation was yet to come.”
 
Kagome groaned quietly. “How much longer does it take until I convince you?”
 
Sessaki's expression was very serious. “The next encounter is the determining one, Higurashi.” He seemed on the verge of adding to that statement, but appeared to think better of it and remained silent. Kagome eyed him carefully.
 
“On the issue of the tenbaryu, you… didn't mind… that one ended up staying with us… for a while…?”
 
His lip twitched slightly. “I was somewhat displeased, but the situation was out of my control.”
 
“What is a tenbaryu, sir?”
 
“Exactly what the name indicates; a celestial horse-dragon hybrid. Kumo was the finest example the breeding stables had produced at that time, as well as the female… the golden one…”
 
“Okibi. Did she remain with us as well?”
 
“Perhaps.” She wasn't quite sure, but she thought she caught a glint of humour in his eyes. Another fauna-related question popped into her head.
 
“Did Kumo and Arashi's foal survive?”
 
He seemed to consider his answer. “The bloodline is highly valued.”
 
Kagome squirmed a bit, and wondered if she dared ask about his reasons for disowning Inuyasha, then decided to go for it. “Um, I've been wondering… why did you disinherit your brother?”
 
Sessaki's expression became even more remote, and he was silent for a long while. Kagome held perfectly still, very aware of his youkai coiling around him. Just before she blurted out an apology for her impertinence, he answered, “I received the Tenseiga as my inheritance, but not the Tetsusaiga. At the time, with the mantle of Lord of the West newly deposited upon my shoulders, it was all too easy to ignore the transgressions of my men against Inuyasha and his mother.”
 
“Imagine how different things might have been if you had made the decision to keep him?”
 
The taiyoukai gave her a very direct look that set chills racing down her spine. “That would never have occurred.”
 
She licked her lips. “He told me his desire to be a full youkai stemmed from the moment when he and his mother were thrown out of the fortress just before your father's funeral.”
 
“That was an unfortunate incident a very long time ago…” He trailed off, but then became brisk. “Do you have any further questions pertaining to the mission, Higurashi?”
 
“Er… you called this meeting, sir. Is there something you want to tell me?”
 
“Merely that the interaction culminating in the transfer of the tenbaryu was not the critical one, and to inquire as to the state of your supplies.”
 
“We could use some more field rations for our next patrol, but I have enough arrows and hunting bolts.”
 
“I will notify the quartermaster. Anything else?”
 
She sighed, ran her fingers through her bangs and decided to test the depth of Sessaki's empathy. “I'm feeling a little overwhelmed right now, sir, to be honest.”
 
“Explain.”
 
“I was recently reminded of that conversation we had the night I killed the bear oni and found not only a Jewel shard in its guts, but also the remains of a child…”
 
“When you commented that you may have killed as many innocents as Naraku?” Kagome flinched bodily, and couldn't meet his eyes. Sessaki steepled his long fingers on the polished teak. “There is no doubt that the misery caused by the Jewel was exponentially increased by its shattering.”
 
“It's my fault that the Jewel broke; I fired the arrow at that crow-youkai…” She worried the hair bracelets on her wrist with trembling fingers.
 
“While you were attempting to save the life of another child, correct?”
 
“I failed in that as well.” The image of the small, limp body plummeting into the river on that long-ago morning tore at her heart and tears burned her eyes.
 
“That was karma. You have successfully ameliorated the effects of the event most of the time.” Sessaki's voice was surprisingly gentle, but Kagome moved restlessly on her cushion.
 
“So much death, both human and demon… and if Kikyo hadn't given Naraku our chunk of Jewel shard, Inuyasha's youkai might never have been released…”
 
“Without his youkai, the Tetsusaiga's `Backlash Wave' would be unattainable.” Surprised, Kagome glanced at him; he pinned her with a direct look. “Have you encountered the undead priestess recently?”
 
“No. Haven't seen her for months, actually.”
 
“She will continue to play an ambiguous role in your story; neither enemy nor ally.” He checked that the ink was dry, then neatly folded up both pieces of paper and slid them into waiting envelopes. “Take these with you, Higurashi. Dismissed.”
 
“Thank you, sir.” She started to rise as she glanced at the name on the top envelope, and promptly choked. Sessaki looked up as she sputtered, “Wh-what is this...sir?”
 
“Sota Higurashi has been accepted into the Academy.”
 
“He's only fifteen!”
 
“His birthday is in the late Fall, correct?” She stared for a moment, then as comprehension dawned, slowly nodded. “The Celestial Bodyguard presenting him with his entrance papers saves my attaché another bout of heat stroke.”
 
“Y-yes… of course.” Shaking her head lightly to clear it, she stood up. “Do you happen to know where I might find my husband?”
 
Sessaki shook his head. “I regret to inform you that Yashita was called away last night to Okinawa.” Kagome felt like the wind was knocked out of her; at that moment, she realized how much she had been looking forward to seeing the hanyou. Observing the dejected expression on the girl's face, Sessaki tapped on his desk to catch her attention. “I believe he left a note for you in his office, as it was too late to phone your mother.”
 
While Kagome swallowed the lump in her throat, Sessaki turned and opened one of the doors of the dark lacquered cabinet standing against the wall behind his desk. Banks of small drawers were revealed; he opened one and withdrew a small metal object. As he slid it across the gleaming surface of the desk, he said, “This is a key to Yashita's office; keep it.”
 
“Th-thank you, sir.” Numbly, she picked up the key and tucked it as well as the two envelopes inside the front of the fire-rat haori. “Sir…? I have one other question.” He seemed to sigh a bit, but indicated that she should proceed. “What happened to Shiori?”
 
Sessaki paused and gave her a sharp glance before folding his hands into his sleeves. After a very long moment, he asked, “You truly wish to know?” Kagome's heart sank, but she nodded. His gaze was unyielding. “She died honourably.”
 
The girl closed her eyes, seeing only a sweet, smiling face framed with shimmering silver, bright red-violet eyes glowing with happiness. It was a few moments before she could speak, and she swayed slightly. “I wondered when I didn't meet her at the wedding… I had a bad feeling…”
 
“That is classified information, Higurashi. Do not compromise the mission.”
 
“Yes, sir.” She was dazed, but force of habit and training moved her through the motions of the salute before she exited his presence. Walking through the outer office, she didn't even spare Nekajo a glance when he spoke to her. Once outside in the corridor, she made it as far as the first landing of the staircase before she had to sit down and rest her head on her knees.
 
Oh, gods. This is horrible! How can I…?
Get a grip, Nixie. You wanted to know, he told you… now you have to deal with it.
It is actually rather surprising that he answered you.
I'm sorry I asked! I really wish Yash were here…
 
Kagome stood up and morosely trailed down the stairs, heading for the Armoury. She was disappointed there as well, coming face to face with a sour, middle-aged man that she recognized from her cadet career as Shimano's second-in-command, who brusquely informed her that his superior was away on Academy business. Swallowing her disappointment again, she asked after Lord Kogashu, only to be told that he was also away.
 
Trailing down the echoing corridor to Yashita's office, she miserably considered the fact that her support network currently had more holes in it than a target on the archery range just when she really needed a sympathetic ear and a big hug. Sighing heavily, she unlocked the door and slid it open.
 
The bamboo blinds were drawn, and the room was dark and cool in contrast to the scorching heat and light outside in the gardens. She stopped and inhaled his familiar masculine scent lingering in the enclosed space before padding over to his desk. A crookedly-folded and sealed piece of paper with her name scrawled on it, attesting to her hanyou's haste, lay in the middle of a cleared space between the stacks of paperwork. Seating herself in his chair, she reached for the missive.
 
Koishii,
 
I'm so very sorry that I won't be able to see you; we have a situation on Okinawa that requires immediate official attention. Guess who I'm travelling with? Yep, the runt. It's like old times, except we're going by plane instead of neko-youkai or tenbaryu.
 
Did you enjoy yourself last night? I sure did, both when we were on the bike, and especially once we got home. After the well closed, I was nearly as impatient for motorcycles to be invented as I was for you to be born. I have one question, though; why didn't you tell me that I was riding on the `bitch' seat, you sneaky wench? I'll bet you enjoyed that, didn't you?
 
I miss you very much. We'll have some time together during the New Moon Festival, but not nearly enough to stifle the cravings I feel whenever I don't see you for a while. Kagome-addiction is a sad, sad thing, but there's only one cure, and I have to wait for it a little longer.
 
Take care, my love. The next month will be extremely busy for you and the rest of the group.
 
Yours,
Yash
 
She lightly traced the kanji making up his name with a tender fingertip, then began looking in his desk for a piece of blank paper to write a response. In the top drawer was a set of photographs in expensive sleeves. Curious, she lifted them out and opened the top one, then smiled. These are from the wedding! I wonder if Mom has copies? The first was a close up of her and Yashita looking towards the photographer. She was tucked under his chin, her left hand adorned with the mokume wedding band resting on his chest, her fingers lightly twined in his sidelock. His left hand cupped her shoulder so that his matching band was also visible and his smile held a touch of wistfulness as he cradled her, his amber eyes soft.
 
The next was a formal portrait of the two of them, Kagome demurely seated on a carved stool in front of an elaborate screen, Yashita at her side with his hands folded into his sleeves. She'd managed to compose her face into a smooth mask, but the hanyou had a hint of a smirk, probably because he'd refused to take the seated position, knowing full well that he was committing a social faux pas.
 
After that was a group portrait of the wedding party, Yukihime and Shikoro smiling easily from the centre, their respective parents on either side. Is it my imagination, or does Sessaki look rather steely? Can't blame him, now that he has Kogashu for an in-law… The final portrait caused a soft gasp to fall from her lips. It was of the two inu-youkai brothers lined up shoulder to shoulder, staring evenly out at the photographer. Both had their hands folded into their sleeves, and both pairs of golden-toned eyes were very intense. Yashita definitely grew a couple of inchesif Inuyasha saw this right now, he'd have a fit!
 
Kagome contemplated the portraits for a few minutes, then continued on her quest for some writing materials. She then came across an envelope containing assorted loose photos of herself, and was stunned by the evidence of some `stalking' on Yashita's part. Rifling through them, she became convinced that he had been following her at a discreet distance for her entire twenty-one years.
 
A well-thumbed photo of a sleeping newborn, red-faced and topped by a tuft of black hair, caught her attention and she flipped it over. Sure enough, the handwritten label on the back declared, `Kagome, one day old'. The image was accompanied by nearly two dozen more of her at various places and ages. A giggling toddler being pursued across the courtyard, taken from an angle that suggested the photographer must have been on the shrine roof. Another of her `reading' to a swaddled infant Sota in the shade of the Goshinboku. A couple of snapshots taken at a park where she used to play with her elementary school friends. A blurred shot of her looking hopelessly gangly in her short-skirted middle school uniform, then one of her on Entrance Day a year later, kitted out in her dark blue cadet uniform. A whole series of pictures taken while she studied in the library, sparred with her classmates, laughed at a joke, dozed off in Sensei Watagame's classical literature class and aimed at a target with either a rifle or a bow in her hands.
 
Two pictures were paper-clipped together, the images hidden between. Kagome's cheeks flamed when she removed the clip and found herself looking at images that were obviously taken from the vantage point of the Goshinboku. She was asleep in both of them, and also happened to be rather naked. Ooh, that freakin' dog… wait, didn't I already call him that once today? She momentarily considered confiscating the pictures, but then thought better of it. I shouldn't really be poking around in his desk, she reasoned, but I can sure tease the heck out of him!
 
On that thought, she finally located a suitable piece of paper and chewed her lip while she framed her reply. She was giggling by the time she completed her note, addressed to `My Darling Stalker', and left it on his desk after folding it around the more revealing of the two photos. Locking the office behind her, she was almost jaunty as she headed up the corridor towards the exit. Shimano's `beta' stuck his head over the counter as she passed the Armoury.
 
“Your supplies will be shipped tomorrow; I'm having transport problems,” he rasped.
 
“No worries. Thank you!” She waved gaily at the bemused official as she continued on her way out, feeling quite a bit better about things. While she waited for her ride, she chatted to the duty guardsmen. They were all nearly wilting in the heat radiating off the pavement of the parking courtyard despite being in the deep shade of the ancient doorway by the time the car pulled up. She was very grateful for the cool interior, and dozed off on the ride back to the shrine.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“What's for dinner, mom?”
 
“We're having teriyaki beef, but you're eating over there tonight.”
 
Kagome paused as she shrugged into the fire-rat haori. “I am?”
 
“Apparently Inuyasha had a successful hunt, and the village is staging a feast to welcome your latest additions. He popped through the well to let me know. Isn't it a little hot for all those layers, dear?” Kioko Higurashi eyed the black combat fatigues and t-shirt Kagome had on under the thick scarlet garment. The girl grimaced.
 
“Yes, it is, but this is for modesty…'
 
“Hmph. Your cuirass is far more revealing, and you wear that without a thought of offending someone!”
 
“That's for fighting, mom. Sango's slayer uniform doesn't leave much to the imagination, but she changes into more conventional clothing to blend in.”
 
“I have my doubts about that outfit being considered even remotely conventional, but you do whatever you think is best. Try not to be too late tonight; Ojii-chan was up very early this morning, and won't be too happy if he's woken up again.”
 
“Of course. See you later! Don't forget to give Sota his notice of acceptance for me.”
 
“He'll be most disappointed that you aren't all dressed up in your ceremonial rig to formally present it to him!”
 
Kagome grinned and hefted the bag of groceries. She kissed her mother on the cheek and then headed across the baking courtyard. The well house was stifling, but as soon as the blue light took her, she was comfortably cool. The bottom of the well was almost chilly, and she rapidly loaded the bag into the netting sling then climbed up the rope ladder. Retrieving the supplies, she looked around the well meadow. It wasn't as hot as on this side, and birds called from the underbrush.
 
Shouldering the bag, she set off towards the village, humming cheerfully to herself. Reaching the top of the stairs, she paused to look over the collection of huts she had come to think of as a second home. A great deal of bustling activity clustered around a couple of smoking pits caught her attention; she was puzzling over it when a soft `whoosh' followed by a `thump' had her instinctively going for her sword as she dropped the bag and turned in a fluid motion. Kumo tossed his head and chirped excitedly at her while she chuckled at herself and stretched to scratch under his forelock.
 
“Hello, fellow. Give me a lift?” The great beast chirruped again and obligingly bent his foreleg. She retrieved the bag and scrambled up onto his sleek back, admiring how the scales covering his hindquarters gleamed in the sunshine. He waited until she had buried her hands in his mane before taking off in a smooth leap from the top stair. The wind rushed past her face and tugged at her hair, streaming the bright haori behind her as Kumo curved their descent towards a hut on the far side of the village. Kagome noted that only a few of the villagers shaded their eyes and peered up at them; less than a day, and already the tenbaryu's presence caused little comment.
 
Inuyasha was busy hammering away with a mallet on the wooden tiles of the roof; he'd stripped down to his hakama, tied up his hair into a messy topknot and his back glistened with sweat. He pushed his bangs out of his eyes and grinned at her as Kumo hovered above the tiles. “Oi, wench… how was your meeting?” he asked.
 
She thought quickly while she swung over onto the roof. “It was… interesting. We have more supplies coming tomorrow. What's for dinner tonight?”
 
“Kirara and I brought down a couple of deer, and they're being roasted. What's in the bag?”
 
“Some rice and some treats for Shippo and Shiori…” her voice trailed off as she recalled Sessaki's words, but she rallied quickly. “Where are they?”
 
“Not too far, you can bet.” He cupped his hands and shouted, “Oi! Runt! C'mere for a minute! Kagome has something for you and Shiori!”
 
A russet blur shot across the ground below and up onto the roof, resolving itself into a very excited kitsune. “Hi, Kagome! Whadja bring me?”
 
“It's for you and Shiori, but first you have to take this bag of rice to Kaede-sama.”
 
Shippo flicked his very bushy tail. “That bag's too heavy for me. Can't you take it, Inuyasha?”
 
The hanyou pursed his lips and twirled the mallet in his claws. The kitsune took the hint, grimaced, and reached for the bag, but Kumo was there first. The tenbaryu carefully gripped the cloth in his teeth and rose higher into the air before turning towards Kaede's hut. Shippo stared for a moment, then shook his tiny fist. “Hey! Come back with my treats, you over-grown lizard!”
 
Kagome wagged her finger at him. “The treats are for you to share with Shiori, Shippo, not hog for yourself. Better scoot and catch up with Kumo… and don't forget to thank him for carrying it for you!” Grumbling, the kit jumped down from the roof and transformed into a red-headed bird that streaked after the tenbaryu. Shading her eyes, she watched the massive animal hold the bag just out of Shippo's reach, only relinquishing it to Kaede's wrinkled hand.
 
Arms slid around her from behind, and Inuyasha nibbled the side of her neck. “You were gone so long I wondered if you'd stopped to have a nap, wench.”
 
She turned in his embrace and tucked her head under his chin, listening to the comforting thump of his heartbeat. “I snoozed in the car a bit, but other than changing my clothes, I came through as soon as possible. I should really go help with the food preparations…”
 
“Naw… Etsu and Sango have everything under control. Miroku's sloped off on a `perimeter check' just to stay out of their way, or he'd be chopping vegetables. Stay and keep me company.”
 
“Give me a mallet, then, and I'll help.”
 
He smiled at her, and Kagome was struck again by his bone structure, on full display because his hair was pulled back. The jagged-edge blue stripes marking his cheekbones only emphasized his strong features; she glanced down and noted the matching blue tendrils curling up over the waist of his low-slung hakama.
 
“Keh. Just can't take your eyes off me, can ya?”
 
“Or my hands, either,” she purred, as she ran her thumbs over the markings on his hips. He inhaled sharply, then rested his forehead on her shoulder, a deep rumble vibrating the air between them. The sun was warm, and they stood there together for long minutes, until the contented sound died away as he stiffened. Sniffing deeply, he began growling.
 
“What's the matter, Inuyasha?”
 
“Fuck it all to the fifth hell… let's go.” He dropped the mallet and bounded up to the ridgepole to retrieve Tetsusaiga, then scooped her onto his back as he leapt off the edge of the roof. Kagome tucked herself closely against him as he veered around a couple of huts and headed for the edge of the village.
 
Two figures were visible through the shimmering barrier; she squinted, trying to identify them, and was dumbfounded when they both dropped to their knees and bowed their heads. Inuyasha let her off his back, and stalked through the barrier, a deep, vicious-sounding snarl reverberating through the air. Kagome scrambled after him, and came up short at the sight of two familiar demons dressed in dark grey dragon-hide, black leather hakama and breastplates. They were unarmed; she noted their weaponry tied to the saddle of their reptilian-tailed mount several paces behind them.
 
“What are you two doing here?” she called out, pitching her voice to carry over Inuyasha's growls.
 
Without raising his head, the slightly taller replied, “We have come to retrieve the tenbaryu, miko-sama.”
 
“Like fucking hell! You were spying on us, weren't you? That fucking asshole wanted to make sure that we were out of his territory on time, didn't he? I ought to send him back your heads…”
 
“We were ordered to make sure that you left the Western Lands safely, Inuyasha-sama, including protecting you from attack.” The shorter demon held his peace while the taller tried to explain.
 
“Fucking liars…!”
 
“Inuyasha… please…” Kagome laid her hand on his sword arm to prevent Tetsusaiga from being drawn. “I believe them, actually.”
 
What? Why?” the hanyou demanded.
 
She thought about the teasing interchange she'd had with their older selves at the wedding. “Just a gut feeling, but I'm going to listen to it. What are your names?” She turned a kind smile on the two inu-youkai, who peeked up at her from under their dark bangs.
 
The taller spoke. “I am Ieji, and this is my twin, Ita.”
 
“Are you hungry?” This question caught them rather off-guard, and the growling hanyou as well. They looked blankly at each other, then at the grey-eyed girl, who gently repeated her question.
 
“Er, yes, miko-sama.”
 
“Wench, you aren't serious about bringing these jokers into the village?” Inuyasha broke in, glaring at the two demons until they dropped their eyes again.
 
“I most certainly am. I want them to see the situation regarding Kumo with their own eyes, so that they know we are telling the truth, and can report back to your brother as eyewitnesses.”
 
“I don't like it…”
 
Kagome sighed gently. “Look at it this way; they're the ones who have to break the bad news to your brother, so the least we can do is feed them what might be their last meal.”
 
His eyes lit up with understanding, and he gave a very fangy grin. “Keh. Good thinking, wench. All right, you two, on your feet… but one false move, and you're gutted, do you understand?”
 
“Perfectly, Inuyasha-sama.”
 
“Bring your lizard; it can hang out with Kumo and Okibi in the paddock. If you have any other weapons on you, ditch `em now.” Ieji and Ita stood up and handed over personal daggers while keeping their eyes deferentially averted from the hanyou's glare. Kagome turned and led the way through the barrier, only to be met by a very surprised Miroku.
 
“You are allowing these demons through the barrier? Why, Kagome-sama? This means that…”
 
“They are our guests for the evening, houshi.” Kagome gave Miroku a significant look, and he caught her meaning before he blurted out the fact that two more demons could now enter the village at will. “They've rescued you from the responsibility of framing a letter of explanation to Sesshomaru-sama about Kumo, since they will take the bad news back with them.”
 
“Ah, I see… I shall extend my condolences, then.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж