InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Diplomatic Immunity ( Chapter 61 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. All characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan Publishing, and VIZ is in the dog-pile somewhere, too.
 
A/N: Sorry for the delay; caught a wicked cold, had a family emergency that flattened all the plot bunnies and work became really busy! Coarse language alert and lemon fluff (at the end).
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 61: Diplomatic Immunity
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
 
Kagome strode quickly through the village, heading towards the paddock with Ieji and Ita easily keeping pace. The twin inu-youkai instinctively flanked her in a protective fashion, which she found rather interesting; Inuyasha brought up the rear, their reptilian mount following behind. Without turning around, she knew the hanyou was unsettled because of the low growls vibrating the air. Miroku had taken himself off to inform the headman and Kaede that there were two more `guests' staying to dinner.
 
“Here we are… and there they are. I think the situation in which we find ourselves is fairly obvious.”
 
Ieji muttered an oath while Ita whistled through his teeth. Kumo and Arashi continued on without paying the slightest bit of attention to their audience. Okibi and Juhi, standing nose to tail in the far corner of the paddock and obligingly swishing flies away from each other's faces, also ignored both the reproductive activity of their herd-mates as well as the watchers. The female tenbaryu's golden head suddenly shot up, and a bright red eye gleamed before a sharp warning call sounded. Stiff-legged, she began stalking across the paddock, her nostrils flaring wide as she scented the air.
 
Kumo twisted his head to see what Okibi was upset about, and gave a loud screech that made all the inu-youkai as well as Kagome wince. He backed away from Arashi, and as the mare turned to see what was going on, he dropped his massive head over her back, effectively pinning her crosswise against his broad chest in a highly protective gesture. The dapple-grey mare shook her mane and whickered, reaching back to nudge his muzzle. Kagome grinned. Are all species of youkai this possessive of their mates?
 
“Seen enough?” Inuyasha's voice was more growl than words; Kagome was about to remonstrate with the hanyou when the newly-arrived tenbaryu squeaked and dodged around him to reach a long, scaled neck over the fence, making a soft, pleading sound. Okibi had halted about fifteen feet away, her black tail lashing like an angry cat's, her fangs bared. She shot the other tenbaryu a brief glance, then refocused on the twin inu-youkai and hissed in a very threatening manner. Ieji and Ita both hurriedly stepped back from the fence and raised their hands in a placating fashion.
 
“I believe we have seen enough, Inuyasha-sama. However, I do not know if it is safe to put our mount into the paddock with the others.”
 
“Allow me.” Miroku arrived around the corner of the stable, Kaede on his arm. He handed the old miko off to Kagome and proceeded to the gate. Unlatching it, he stepped inside, and walked up to Okibi, who acknowledged him by bumping her muzzle against his chest before continuing to glare at the newcomers over his head. Miroku reached up to catch her by her chin and bring her down to his eye level. “Okibi-sama… these gentlemen and their tenbaryu have travelled long to be certain of you and Kumo-sama's health. We are inviting them to share our meal, and you should extend your hospitality to your compatriot as well.” Okibi blinked, her long dark lashes brushing his cheek, and then gave a little rumble of acquiescence. Miroku rewarded her with a vigorous scratch under the chin and she sighed before nearly knocking him down with an affectionate nuzzle.
 
She and Kumo, who hadn't budged from his spot, nor released Arashi, conversed in a series of high-pitched trills and chirps, reminding Kagome irresistibly of a pair of trained raptors once brought to the Academy to give the cadets a falconry demonstration. Finally, Okibi snorted and tossed her head, and the visiting tenbaryu pushed its way through the open gate.
 
Miroku eyed the creature's tack, and gestured with his staff at the gawking inu-youkai. “Remove your equipment from the beast, and some fodder will be provided.” Ieji and Ita slipped through the gate, neatly stacking their packs and weapons before draping the saddle and bridle over the fence. For good measure, they also removed their breastplates and added them to the pile of gear. As their green-scaled mount moved to cautiously greet Okibi, the twins bowed politely to Miroku.
 
“Thank you, houshi-sama.”
 
He returned the salute. “You are welcome; your belongings will be safe here in the paddock. Since the tenbaryu have taken up residence, most of the villagers give this area a wide berth; apparently there is some idle talk making the rounds that they eat human flesh.” As they exited the paddock, Miroku pausing to latch the gate, the pair bowed deeply to Kaede, Kagome and Inuyasha.
 
“We are honoured to accept your hospitality, Inuyasha-sama, miko-sama… er, samas.”
 
Kagome chuckled. “Makes it difficult when there are two mikos in the vicinity, doesn't it? May I introduce Kaede-sama, the resident miko of this village?” Kaede inclined her head at the twins; the girl smiled. “You may call me Kagome.”
 
Sama,” ground out the hanyou. “You'll call her Kagome-sama.”
 
“Of course, Inuyasha-sama.”
 
Kagome tucked her arm through Inuyasha's, casually restraining his sword arm as she did so. “Kaede-sama, these two warriors are named Ieji-kun and Ita-kun; they are from Inuyasha's family fortress.”
 
“We're easy to tell apart,” the slightly shorter one piped up, and waited until they were all looking expectantly at him before flashing a cheeky grin. “I'm the handsome one.” Even Inuyasha snickered at that, and then Miroku urged them to head over towards the roasting pits where the villagers were gathering. When Kaede stumped forward, the twins placed themselves on either side of her and offered her their arms; the black eye twinkled as Kaede accepted, and the mismatched trio led the procession.
 
Miroku stayed to help Kagome deliver an armful of hay and a bucket of oats to the waiting tenbaryu, after a grumbling Inuyasha had dashed off to retrieve his juban. The creature made an odd chicken-like clucking sound and bobbed its narrow, reptilian head at them before beginning to eat under Okibi's watchful eye. The monk lightly touched Kagome's shoulder. “I take it that you have judged the trustworthiness of our guests, and found them adequate?” he asked.
 
Kagome opened her mouth to reply that she'd met the twins on the other side of the well, but closed it before opening a can of worms. She understood, in a frightening moment of clarity, that this information would explode with very messy results if she admitted that there were youkai in the future. “I… ah, er, just went with my gut feeling,” she hastily blurted out, hoping that Miroku would attribute her momentary silence as merely a search for the right words. He bought it, nodding thoughtfully.
 
“They do not emit any evil aura at all, much like Shippo-kun or Shiori-sama, so I concur with your judgement. Ah, that smells delicious!” They arrived as Kaede introduced the twins to the village headman, who exhibited remarkable sang froid at yet another demonic invasion of Edo. Kagome noted Shippo standing in front of Etsu and Shiori, his small arms crossed, his stance wide, his tail three times its usual size and a fierce scowl on his countenance. He looked so much like Inuyasha that she giggled, just as an arm slipped around her waist, and her hanyou pulled her close. Miroku glanced at them, nodded briefly, and crossed to where Sango was eyeing the new arrivals. He bent to murmur in her ear, and she winked at Kagome.
 
The headman gave a brief speech of formal welcome to the newest residents, included a gracious comment aimed at the two inu-youkai, and the feasting began. Etsu and Shiori sat in the place of honour at the headman's side; Shippo wheedled his way into their group as well; he'd noticed that they were being served first. Ieji and Ita resembled a pair of matched bookends as they flanked Kaede, exhibiting impeccable manners and waiting on the old miko with all the solicitousness of near relatives. Inuyasha watched them with narrowed eyes; Kagome reached over and tapped the back of his hand with her chopsticks. “What's the matter?” she asked in a low tone. He glanced briefly at her, then shook his head.
 
“Nothing.”
 
She scooted closer to his side and leaned into him a little. “Seems that `nothing' is making you grumpy.”
 
He transferred his bowl to the other hand and wrapped his arm around her shoulders. Pulling her nearly into his lap, he just sighed and buried his nose in her hair for a long moment before releasing her and returning to his food. Kagome regarded him thoughtfully before continuing to eat her own meal, wondering what was bothering her hanyou. As she chewed, glancing around the festive gathering, she realized the probable cause.
 
Ieji and Ita.
 
They were full demons, and had been accepted without a murmur into the community, while the resident hanyou had to repeatedly prove himself as trustworthy and honourable over the past year. Mind you the fact that he tried to take the Jewel by force fifty years ago probably didn't help… Finishing her bowl of rice, vegetables and roasted venison, she put it down and nestled into Inuyasha's side. He polished off the last couple of bites of his bowl, almost wiped his mouth on his sleeve before remembering they had `company' (who were using pieces of linen to dab their lips) and settled for a discreet swipe with his knuckles.
 
“Do you want your haori back?” Kagome asked quietly, thinking that perhaps with his fire-rat in place, he might feel a bit more secure.
 
“Nope. I like how it looks on you,” he replied, then bent his head to whisper in her ear, “especially when you're naked underneath.” She mock-glared at his smirk as one of the young village girls offered to refill their bowls. Kagome declined, but Inuyasha had another helping. While he ate, Shiori and Shippo scampered over to climb into Kagome's lap and whisper about their guests, until Kagome clapped her hands over both of their mouths and reminded them that inu-youkai have excellent hearing.
 
“I'm sure that if you want to ask them something, Ieji-kun and Ita-kun would be happy to tell you,” she admonished. Both looked sheepish, and then Shippo held out his hand to Shiori. They hopped out of Kagome's lap and tip-toed to stand in front of Kaede and her escorts. There was a bit of wriggling and throat-clearing, and then the kit and the hanyou bowed politely to the dark-haired twins and apologized for their rudeness. The brothers took it in good part, and then the headman announced some entertainment.
 
Shiori scooted off to sit with her mother, and Shippo planted himself by Kaede as several dances were performed by the eligible girls of the village. The bachelors then had their chance, and when Ieji and Ita stood up to join them, they came in for their share of good-natured ribbing from the audience. The inu-youkai were exceptionally graceful as they moved through the kata-like steps of the warrior's dance, and Kagome was intrigued by the idea that humans and youkai apparently shared some common folk traditions.
 
The sound of cracking knuckles made her wince; she wrapped her hand around Inuyasha's clenched fist and watched him carefully. It took a long time before he relaxed and allowed her to weave her fingers with his. “You can't participate, anyways, dog-boy,” she whispered. “Your cute hanyou butt is taken.” He snorted lightly, but didn't say anything in response, his amber eyes intent upon their guests.
 
A bit of singing followed, courtesy of the laundress, who carried a tune as easily as she heaved her copper cauldrons of water from the river. The sun was just slipping behind the tree-tops, the bones of the deer picked clean, the children beginning to rub their eyes and the firepits reduced to embers when Ieji and Ita rose to their feet. Inuyasha tore his hand out of Kagome's grasp and sprang upright.
 
Bowing deeply to Kaede, Ieji spoke. “My brother and I are deeply grateful for the hospitality that you have shown us. May we meet again.” Ita bowed as well, then both turned to bow politely to the headman and a surprised Miroku. Kagome scrambled to her feet and locked her hands around Inuyasha's forearm as the twins stepped away, executed a precise turn in lockstep and halted in front of Inuyasha. “We must take our leave; we are already overdue to return to the fortress.”
 
“And you'll be in more trouble because you're empty-handed, correct?” Kagome asked.
 
The slightly shorter one nodded vigorously. “Sesshomaru-sama will be in a temper, but there isn't much that can be done about it. Kumo won't leave his mare, and Okibi has obviously decided that the houshi is more to her taste as a master.”
 
Inuyasha gestured curtly with a long claw. “Move along, then.” However, before anyone could take a step, two pink-cheeked young women came up bearing fragrant-smelling packages.
 
“For you, youkai-san… some food for your journey…” Both girls were blushing furiously as they shyly offered the well-wrapped parcels to the two strikingly handsome demons; the colour in the girls' cheeks became even brighter when a few of the watching boys cat-called.
 
Ieji and Ita gravely accepted the parcels and bowed very low to their benefactresses, causing a major outbreak of nervous tittering before the girls bobbed quick bows and fled. Kagome couldn't help but smile, and began to lead off in the direction of the paddock until she was brought up short by an iron grip on her shoulder. The pressure made her flinch, and she looked back into red-rimmed golden eyes. “Let them go ahead of you,” Inuyasha rumbled, the stripes on his cheeks darkening and widening in front of her startled gaze.
 
“Inuyasha… you're transforming… get a hold of yourself!” Kagome hissed, alarmed as the red mist began to halo him. Damn, damned damnable! I don't want to `sit' him in front of everyone… She took a step back until she was pressed against his chest and called up her power, winding it around both of them. The scarlet energy ceased building and coiled around her… but his hackles were still up, even though he had a white-knuckled grip on Tetsusaiga. “Move out, boys… that's an order!” she called to them; Ieji and Ita instantly double-timed it towards the paddock.
 
Miroku and Sango were beside them, just outside the cocoon of energy, when Inuyasha let go of Kagome's shoulder and whirled after the two inu-youkai in a blaze of silver and red. The remaining three glanced at each other, and took off after him.
 
Kagome arrived first, Fenik half-way out of the sheathe until she saw that Inuyasha hadn't done anything to the brothers… yet They were kneeling before him in attitudes of complete submission, but she had the unhappy premonition that the hanyou might force them to do the equivalent of rolling on their backs before his youkai was satisfied. Not a good way to build alliances… she put on an extra burst and dove in front of the twins, then defiantly raised a crackling barrier.
 
Inuyasha was surprised enough to take a step back, his reddened eyes widening, and then Miroku and Sango were there, which seemed to bring him back to himself. Behind her, Kagome could hear the rapid breathing of the brothers, but they didn't dare move. “Are you two all right?” she asked quietly, not taking her eyes from Inuyasha's.
 
“Hai, Kagome-sama.”
 
“Stand up, bow to him again, and then saddle your beast. I will protect your back.”
 
“Kagome-sama… you are not afraid of the consequences of defying your alpha?”
 
That possibility hadn't actually occurred to her, but it just made her more determined to prevent anything from happening that would make her task of reconciling the brothers impossible. “Please excuse Inuyasha-sama; he has only lately come fully into his heritage, and he is still learning the finer points of control.” Inuyasha narrowed his eyes at her; she mouthed the `s' word at him, and he subsided.
 
“He so closely resembles his honoured father…”
 
“You knew the Inu no Taisho?” She couldn't keep the surprise from her voice. That means these two are closer to Sesshomaru's age
 
“No, my lady. Our Obaa-san owns a portrait of the late lord, and when Inuyasha-sama had his hair pulled back earlier today, the similarities were striking.”
 
She nodded, and the two inu-youkai turned to saddling their tenbaryu, which was most unhappy at being restrained by Kumo. It was obvious that the creature would have bolted at the moment she raised her barrier, but the stallion forcibly prevented the creature's escape by clamping down on its withers with his fangs. Casting a sharp look in Inuyasha's direction, she noted that he was keeping his peace, hands now folded inside his sleeves, but the expression on his face was rather ferocious. Miroku caught her eye and held up a folded piece of paper in his fingers. A sutra…? What? No, that's a letter. She beckoned to him, and Miroku stepped rapidly towards her; she dropped the barrier to allow him inside.
 
“I took the liberty of writing a note of apology to Sesshomaru-sama; it may help Ieji-kun and Ita-kun's case once they arrive back at the fortress.” She took it from him, scanned it briefly, and nodded. It was well-phrased in very formal court language, the hand flowing and elegant.
 
“This works, houshi-doushi. Thank you.” Miroku twitched it back out of her hand and neatly re-folded it; she noticed an odd sigil on the front below the kanji of Sesshomaru's name. “What's that?” she asked, indicating the circular symbol.
 
“Take a close look at our guests' uniforms, Kagome-sama. I assume it is the crest of the Western Lord.” He inclined his head to her, and turned to go back to his place beside a statue-like Inuyasha. Kagome strengthened the barrier after his exit, just to make sure she put her point of non-interference across, and walked over to where Ieji and Ita were shouldering their packs; they had left their weapons tied to the saddle. On the left sides of their dragon-hide tunics, just visible above the gleaming breastplates, a deeply-embossed pattern of three heavily stylized canines chased each others' tails.
 
Kagome handed the note over as one of the pair was attempting to soothe the skittish tenbaryu, which was dancing nervously on its clawed feet. The inu-youkai tucked Miroku's handiwork inside his breastplate and bowed to her. “Thank you, Kagome-sama, but I am not sure how much good it will do if Sesshomaru-sama is not feeling charitable.”
 
She politely inclined her head in return. As they both swung aboard their mount, a sudden question popped into her mind. “Your dancing ability will be talked about in the village for some time to come; how did you know the steps?”
 
The one holding the reins laughed. “Warrior-dances are always based on simple weapons katas. Trust me, it was very easy to do; it was a much slower pace than we've ever attempted.”
 
Kagome thought about the whiplash-inducing battle-speed demonstrated by Sesshomaru, and nodded sagely before asking another question. “How does anyone tell you two apart if you aren't standing right beside each other? There's a slight height difference, but…”
 
Jaunty grins split their handsome faces. “Our scents are identical as well as our looks…”
 
Kagome chuckled. “I can just imagine the mischief you two created, especially when you were younger.”
 
“Of course, we're far too mature to pull any stunts now. That would be unbecoming to our reputations as serious, sober members of Sesshomaru-sama's personal guards. We're held up as examples, you know.” There was a distinct twinkle in the inu-youkai's eye, and Kagome found herself grinning back.
 
“Examples not to be emulated, I'll bet. Take care, you two, and I hope we meet again.”
 
“Farewell, Kagome-sama. It was truly an honour to meet both you and Inuyasha-sama.” With that, they nudged their beast with their heels, and the tenbaryu leapt into the sky, nearly tearing through the domed barrier before Kagome dropped it. She shaded her eyes against the setting sun to watch until they dwindled into a mere speck, and then shook herself in preparation for dealing with Inuyasha.
 
He was still there, planted on the other side of the paddock, golden eyes glowing in the gathering twilight. Miroku and Sango had drawn off a little ways, conversing quietly, but they were watching the hanyou very keenly. Kagome sighed. Better get this over with… Squaring her shoulders, she marched across the paddock until she was right in front of him, but just out of reach.
 
His eyes were amber, but his cheek stripes were still markedly darker than usual, and his entire stance was very rigid. When he spoke, his voice was rough around the edges. “Why did you interfere, bitch?”
 
She stiffened at the `b' word, but didn't retreat, instead biting out, “First of all, you nearly undid all the goodwill you've earned in the village by losing it in front of everyone. Second, I won't have you humiliating innocent people just to placate your ego. They would report their mistreatment to your brother, and I can't have you jeopardizing the mission by giving him any reason to refuse to join us.”
 
“You defied me.”
 
“Yes, to protect others. There was no need to threaten them, Inuyasha.”
 
“They are my brother's creatures.”
 
Kagome threw up her hands in disgust. “They arrived with a legitimate reason to be here, behaved impeccably, and treated you with tremendous respect. What the hell is your problem?”
 
“They are not pack, yet were accepted without question.”
 
She scrubbed her fingers through her bangs. “Oh, bloody hell. This is really starting to piss me off… they weren't invited to join our pack, just share a meal, dammit! They're taking some unwelcome news back to your brother, and they might very well be dead by this time in three days, since I wouldn't put it past him to shoot the messenger.” Inuyasha didn't respond, just continued glaring at her. Kagome stifled the urge to scream in frustration by biting her lip. “You know what? You've managed to ruin a perfectly nice evening, and I don't feel like dealing with this shit right now. Here.” She slipped out of the brilliant red haori and tossed it to him, then turned on her heel. “Good night, Inuyasha-sama.” She had ducked through the rails of the fence before his hand clamped down on her shoulder; unfortunately for him, she was not about to be disciplined, and her reaction was swift.
 
Spinning around, she twisted out of his grip and punched him hard in the chest, then used the concussion of the blow to throw herself backwards. She crouched in a fighting stance, her hand on her flaring sword hilt. In a distant corner of her mind, a little white flag was being urgently waved, indicating that it would be much better for everyone if she just submitted, but she was in the mood to be difficult.
 
“I am going home, and you are going to reflect on why, in the midst of your pack and your territory, you couldn't get over yourself enough to act like a gracious host to a couple of guests. If you want to escalate this into a full-blown brawl, go right ahead, but I suggest you think carefully about the possible consequences.” A brief spray of silver sparks sizzled, punctuating her words.
 
He growled then, a long, low threatening sound, the blue stripes stark against his skin in the fading light. Kagome saw Sango jump a little at the bestial noise, and Miroku begin to rub the prayer beads restraining the Vortex. Damn, damned, damnable… this is bloody ridiculous. All these months of work will go down the drain if I don't stop him. A flicker of silver in her peripheral vision gave her the out she needed, and she nearly smiled. Instead, she asked, “What's it going to be, dog-boy? A temper tantrum that will make you look both foolish and dangerous to the rest of our pack, or will you stand down?” He took one step towards her, his eyes flashing, and she played her trump card.
 
“Shiori-chan! Why aren't you in bed?” The small girl, her red-violet eyes very wide at the sight of Inuyasha in nearly full-demon mode, bit her trembling lip. Shippo arrived beside her, took one look at the older hanyou, and promptly stepped in front of her.
 
Inuyasha closed his eyes, deep-breathed for a few moments, and all present gave sighs of relief when his aura shrank along with his facial markings. “Is it time, Shiori?” he finally asked, his voice back to normal.
 
“Y-yes, Inuyasha-san.” Her words quavered just the slightest bit with uncertainty, and Kagome saw how he took it to heart. He went down on one knee and held out his arms to Shiori; she hesitated briefly, but then went to him. Shippo gave him a hairy eyeball for a long moment before he joined her, climbing up onto Inuyasha's shoulder. He stood up, cradling Shiori to his chest, and didn't meet Kagome's eyes.
 
“I'll be over later, wench.” Kagome ignored the harsh tone in his voice and nodded agreeably, but reserved her smile for the children.
 
“Sleep well… see you in the morning. Shippo, don't ask for anything blood-thirsty, okay? Poor Shiori doesn't need to have any more nightmares.” Inuyasha headed off into the gloaming; Miroku and Sango approached Kagome. They stood together for a long moment in silence before Sango gently laid her hand on Kagome's arm.
 
“You did well protecting Ieji-kun and Ita-kun… but was it wise to provoke him when he is in this state?”
 
“He had no right to treat them like that; they were our guests, and therefore entitled to a certain level of courtesy.” Kagome shook her head. “His insecurities get the better of him sometimes… if he's going to be pack leader, he has to learn that with power comes the responsibility to use it wisely.”
She immediately mentally winced over how this echoed what Midoriko had said to her only a few nights earlier.
 
Miroku rubbed his chin. “Kagome-sama, wasn't it Inuyasha's right to force their submission as alpha?”
 
“I'm not an expert on inu-youkai pack behaviours, but so far as I could see, they were doing everything right to show him proper respect.” The girl realized she could hardly see her friends in the dim light, and reached out to give Sango a hug. “Time for bed, you two. I can see in the dark, but you can't, and you don't have a lamp.”
 
“Shouldn't you stay here, and wait for Inuyasha?” Sango couldn't quite disguise the concern in her voice.
 
Kagome considered it for a moment, but then shook her head. “He'll have calmed down by the time he's done entertaining the kids; I don't think we have to worry about him losing it.” As she willed her battle-sight into existence, she caught the sceptical expression on Miroku's face as he tucked his hand under Sango's arm. “Please don't start doubting him; he carries enough guilt as it is.”
 
“Very well, Kagome-sama. Good night. Are you sure you will be all right going up to the well in the dark?”
 
“No problem.” She was interrupted by a soft chirp, and Kumo's muzzle rested lightly on her shoulder. “In fact, I have plenty of protection right here… even though he isn't supposed to be outside of the paddock without permission…” The tenbaryu snorted, and bent his foreleg to allow her to climb up onto his back. Twisting large handfuls of mane, Kagome smiled down at her friends. “Sleep well, you two. See you in the morning.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
It was a very long time until the hanyou arrived in her room; Kagome was instantly awake from her light doze. When he didn't slide into bed beside her within moments, she sat up, pushing her hair out of her face. Inuyasha leaned against the window ledge, his eyes invisible behind his bangs. “Inuyasha…?”
 
“Keh.” His tone was very flat; she peered at him but couldn't make out his expression.
 
“Did the kids enjoy the story?” she asked carefully, watching for any sign to indicate whether she ought to be throwing up a barrier or diving for her sword, or both.
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Good.” The silence stretched, and Kagome was suddenly tired of dancing around. “Look, you were being a jerk, and I called you on it. If you want to continue the fight, come back tomorrow. If we try to talk about it now, it'll only get ugly.” He was abruptly gone, leaving Kagome to curl around her pillow and fall into uneasy slumber, her fingertips hooked into the hair bracelets circling her wrist.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Her sleep was restless, and she woke up when the delivery truck from the Armoury rumbled up to the door. Her mother cheerily greeted the driver and signed the waybill, then directed the supplies to be stacked at the base of the stairs of the well house. Kagome felt rather out of sorts; scowling, she heaved herself out of bed and poked her head out the window. She breathed in the already-heated air of what was going to be a scorcher of a summer day, then stretched right up onto her toes and scratched in embarrassing places before stumbling off to the shower.
 
There was still no sign of the hanyou when she came downstairs; her mother greeted her with a kiss. “Where's Inuyasha, dear?”
 
“Other side. He didn't stay last night.”
 
Sharp motherly eyes took in the signs of stress and poor sleep, and Mrs. Higurashi gently prodded the girl in the ribs. “What's going on, Kagome? The two of you haven't slept apart in months…and don't try to tell me `nothing', because quite frankly, you look like hell.”
 
Kagome smiled tiredly. “It's mission-related, and he's the one I really need to talk to about it. Sessaki told me some classified information, and I have to deal with that knowledge without letting on to the others. Inuyasha possibly jeopardized my chances with his brother, and I'll have no way of knowing until I meet up with Sesshomaru how much damage was done and whether I can fix it.”
 
Mrs. Higurashi gently took her daughter's hands in hers. “Don't let a quarrel go unresolved; your father and I had a rule to never go to bed angry after we had an argument.”
 
“How'd you work that?”
 
“Stayed up until we solved things, and then went to bed and made up.”
 
Kagome arched an eyebrow. “Thanks for the advice… I think. Is that how you and Gitoumaru are also doing things?”
 
Kioko blushed. “We haven't had a quarrel yet, so I'm not sure…”
 
“Ah, young love… ain't it grand?”
 
“Young love might be grand, but give me the adventuresome spirit of `older' love anytime, missie.” Kagome pulled up short and shot an enquiring look at the coy woman, who smirked just the tiniest little bit. “You aren't afraid to try things when you're older…”
 
“Too much information, Mom! Geez… uh, wait a minute, you aren't… because he's… and Inuyasha would…”
 
Kioko Higurashi rolled her eyes, and patiently explained as if to a small child, “No, we haven't, and you know why. You're not the only one who wants the mission to be over!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
After she ate with her mother and learned more about her future step-father than she felt she really needed to know at this point, Kagome treated herself to a long shower and an even longer soak. She took her time dressing, again putting on the combat fatigues and t-shirt before brushing out her hair. She almost braided it, then decided that doing so would send a message she didn't intend. Instead, she pulled it up into a top-knot to keep it away from her neck.
 
Done stalling?
Fuck off, Fenik.
Somebody's cranky this fine day.
Slept like crap, and you know why. Midoriko, was there any other way to resolve that incident?
In my opinion, no. It will be interesting to see if Inuyasha comes around to your way of thinking
I damn well hope so. I don't know if I'll be able to stand the stress, wondering if he's really screwed things up with Sesshomaru… I hope the boys cut him some slack when they give their report.
Well, at least you know that they weren't killed for being the bearers of bad tidings.
I'm very thankful for small mercies.
Move it, Nixie. You'll only make matters worse by prolonging the inevitable
Yeah, yeah… bossy sissy-eared sword-brat…
 
Despite her bravado, Kagome sloped off downstairs and buckled up her boots before stepping out into the intense afternoon heat. Grumbling as her shirt instantly stuck to her skin, she jogged across the courtyard to the well house, tying her obi while attempting to hold Fenik in one hand. That didn't work very well, and she ended up re-tying the knot up on the landing with sweating, slippery fingers. Finally satisfied, she shoved her sword into place and scooped up a duffle bag of supplies, slammed open the sliding door and thumped down the inner steps, feeling very sticky inside the sweltering building. As she vaulted over the rim and fell into the cool blue light, she remembered that her quiver and bow were lying on her bed…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The bottom of the well was chilly on her damp skin and clothing, raising goose-bumps. Kagome shivered and quickly loaded the rations into the mesh bag before nimbly scrambling up the rope ladder into the sunlight and warmth. Once again, she was struck by how much cooler it was on the other side of the well, surrounded as it was by the meadow and the shady forest instead of pavement. Not to mention tons and tons less vehicle exhaust
 
Just as she reached the lip, she heard squealing and shouting; suddenly afraid, she pulled herself up and rolled over the rim, landing soundlessly in a crouch, her sword at the ready. Listening very intently, her eye was caught by movement to her right, both on the ground and in the air, and she pivoted in that direction. The first shape to resolve itself into something familiar was Kirara, in full battle-form, rising above the under story to deposit a two small figures on a branch three-quarters of the way up an enormous larch tree. Kagome blinked and squinted against the light. The shorter figure seemed to be encouraging the taller, and she belatedly realized it was Shippo and Shiori.
 
Kirara emitted a sort of crooning yowl, and Shiori spread out her arms, then unfolded her silvery scalloped wings, which suddenly seemed far too small to support even her tiny body… and dove out into space. Kagome clapped a hand over her mouth to stifle a startled scream from frightening the girl as she watched the little hanyou glide for a short distance before attempting to flap her wings. Shiori lurched sickeningly as her lift temporarily vanished, and she dropped about ten feet, but as soon as she stretched her pinions, she came up again.
 
Something large and pink bobbled along just underneath her; Kagome sighed in relief as she realized Shippo was ready to cushion her fall. She was preparing to march over to where Shiori would land if she continued on her present trajectory, and give all three demons a lecture for attempting this without an adult present, when Kirara roared a warning as Shiori's wings folded and she fell from the sky. Kagome yelled, and began to run, sick to heart because she was too far away even with her enhanced speed, when a red and silver blur snatched the little hanyou out of mid-air.
 
Stopping dead as her brain processed that Inuyasha had caught Shiori, and indeed, had probably been waiting just in case of an aborted flight, Kagome shook herself and turned back to the well and the problem of moving supplies. She had just reached for the rope when her name was called. Turning around, she couldn't help but smile as Shiori raced towards her, red-violet eyes bright with excitement.
 
“Did you see me, Kagome-san? I actually flapped my wings! I'm getting stronger every day; Inuyasha-san said so!” She danced around, and Kagome couldn't help but smile at her happiness. Crouching, she held out her arms to Shiori, and when the giggling child ran into them, she hugged her tightly.
 
“I think you're so brave, Shiori-chan, to go up so high and jump off!”
 
“Shippo-kun, Kirara-sama and Inuyasha-san are always there to catch me, so I don't have to be brave,” Shiori calmly asserted, and then there was another demonic aura to contend with in the vicinity. Kagome let Shiori go and slowly stood up as the little girl scampered over to Inuyasha and gave him an enthusiastic hug around the legs. He ruffled her hair and then she dashed off to join a grinning kitsune on Kirara's back. The neko-youkai began padding off in the direction of the village.
 
Kagome cupped her hands around her mouth and called after them, “Ask Miroku and Sango to come up and help us carry rations!”
 
“We don't need their help, wench.” He was only an arm's length away, eyes again hidden behind his bangs, but his ears gave him away. There was no arrogance in the furry appendages at all; instead, they had a distinct droop.
 
“There's a fairly large shipment…” Kagome bit her lip and began to turn back to the well, her eyes averted. Clawed hands gently but firmly grasped her bare arms, preventing her from retreating. Nervously licking her lips, she slowly raised her eyes to his face. The jagged stripes were very dark blue, but there was no trace of red in his amber eyes… eyes that were looking suspiciously damp, set in a face radiating abject misery. They gazed at each other for a long moment, and then she was fairly crushed against his chest by a rib-cracking embrace.
 
Her head was cradled by a long-fingered hand, his mouth warm next to her ear. “I thought I was going to lose my mind twice last night, first when you defied me… and later, after I left you… Kagome… koishii… I'm sorry. I hope I didn't screw up things with Sesshomaru for you… or between us…” The catch in his voice on the last part caught at her heart, and she worked her arms through the confining layers of fire-rat to wrap them around his lean body, hugging him fiercely while she tried to find the words to tell him that everything was all right…
 
…when Shiori's face swam into her thoughts, along with Sessaki's calm pronouncement on her fate… and her world crumbled. Unable to talk out the pressures that were eating at her on both sides of the well, Kagome choked on a massive sob that wrenched its way out of her throat, and instead of comforting an apologetic hanyou, she ended up fisting her hands into his haori and sobbing helplessly into his chest.
 
Bewildered by her reaction, certain that somehow it was his fault, Inuyasha did the only thing he could do… hold her tightly until the storm passed. It took a long time; Miroku and Sango cleared the undergrowth, saw the couple wound around each other and instantly retreated back under cover. Inuyasha scented their withdrawal over the sharp smell of Kagome's tears, and began gently rubbing her back, purring softly.
 
After a time, the heaving sobs quieted to hiccupping sniffles, and Inuyasha carefully lowered them both down to sit on the grass beside the well, cradling her in his lap while he curled around her, almost wishing for a `sit' to be done with this. Kagome cried quietly, her fingers weaving into his rosary… almost as if she was thinking the same thing. He brushed his lips across her forehead, and she sighed softly before raising a shaking hand to wipe her eyes. He offered the trailing sleeve of his fire-rat instead, and she accepted before burrowing into his chest.
 
They sat together in silence for a little while, until Inuyasha ventured another apology. “I'm sor…”
 
A slender, calloused fingertip pressed against his lips. “Shhh, koibito. You already apologized… thank you for holding me just now. I'm not upset at you; this was just a whole bunch of stuff that's been bothering me for a while…”
 
“Like worrying about how to convince Sesshomaru to join us?”
 
“Yes…”
 
“Thanks for stopping me from making a complete idiot out of myself. Keh! You're right, Kagome… I do need to learn how to conduct myself properly.”
 
The girl dropped her eyes. You'll have five hundred years to figure it out… and then that thought made fresh tears slide down her cheeks. The hanyou carefully wiped them away and she smiled weakly up at him.
 
He studied her face, and then asked quietly, “What really happened the other night, when you were sparring with your sword? You've been tense ever since; your heart doesn't stop like that unless you've had a severe shock.” Kagome tried to avoid his intense gaze, but his fingers trapped her chin and gently tilted her face back up.
 
She sighed, and in a low voice tried to explain. “Fenik and Midoriko felt they needed to test me, to see if I would break under pressure.” A weak chuckle shook her frame. “I guess this just proves that I'm not as tough as I think I am…” Her voice trailed off, but Inuyasha waited patiently, and she knew she wasn't getting out of telling the whole story; she heaved another sigh before continuing. “They brought up the fact that if I hadn't shattered the Jewel through my clumsiness, Naraku's reign of terror wouldn't have taken so many lives so far; I didn't react very well to that.”
 
The hanyou stared at her, open-mouthed, and then he began to growl. “Can you make that asshole come out again? I'll `test' his ability to survive the ass-kicking of his existence for putting you through that! Stupid, fucking, arrogant…”
 
“It wasn't just him, Inuyasha; it was Midoriko as well. That's been bothering me ever since…”
 
“Ever since…what?”
 
She squirmed a bit, twisting the hem of her t-shirt between her fingers. “Ever since I guarded your brother that time the `Wind Scar' took him down, and I ended up slaughtering a bear oni that had a Jewel shard in its gut… along with the remains of a child. I started wondering how many children had died because they found a pretty rock and something either ate them or killed them for it. ” Finally telling Inuyasha that bit of information lifted a weight off her shoulders she'd been carrying alone for months. His reaction was gratifying; he hugged her tightly and protectively, furious at her guardians.
 
“Fucking morons… they had no right to do that to you, Kagome. It was an accident, and you've busted your ass ever since to protect as many people as possible. Damn manifestations…” He startled her by reaching over and abruptly smacking her sword rather hard as it lay on the grass alongside Tetsusaiga. “Fenik… I hope you felt that, you bastard. You're supposed to protect Kagome, not hurt her. Next time, you'll answer to me.”
 
Kagome held off pointing out, again, that Midoriko had also been involved and just nestled closer to him. She started picking out the sweet trill of birdsong, and became conscious of the warmth of the sun on her head. Inuyasha still looked tense as he glared at her sword while chewing his lip; she touched his cheek with her fingers and he instantly brought his attention back to her. “I'll be okay… just telling you has made me feel a bit better.”
 
A crooked smile lit his face; he bent down, hesitated for a brief moment before gently pressing his lips to hers. Kagome responded with intensity, and they finally had to break apart for air. Inuyasha's eyes were very soft as he tenderly stroked her cheek with his knuckles. “I really, really hated being apart from you last night, koishii… and I don't ever want to have that happen to us again.”
 
Her heart twinged painfully, knowing that he had centuries of absence from her arms ahead of him, but she covered that up by pulling him into a long, sensuous kiss that left them both misty-eyed. “I don't want it to happen again, either, koibito. Shall we make a pact to not go to bed mad?”
 
“Suits me. Now, wench… the houshi and the slayer have made themselves comfortable in those bushes over there, so unless you want to give them a free show, we'd better get on with moving those supplies… and then I think we'll need a nap.”
 
“Just a nap?” she asked archly.
 
He grinned toothily at her and kissed her forehead before shouting over his shoulder, “Oi! You can come out now… unless you're too busy, of course…” Within a couple of minutes, a rather rumpled and flushed-looking couple emerged from the thicket; Kagome stifled a giggle as Miroku tried to surreptitiously pick twigs and leaves from Sango's unbound hair. The fact that his hair was also free of its restraint and he had a few petals stuck here and there on his obviously-loosened robes didn't help him look very innocent… although he really tried his best.
 
Sango batted Miroku's hands away, curled her legs under her and regarded Kagome with serious dark eyes. “Have you resolved everything?”
 
“I think so.” Kagome had meant for that to sound reassuring, but Sango picked up on the qualifier and eyed her friend carefully. Miroku seated himself beside the slender girl and laid his staff aside. Kagome found herself the focus of three pairs of very intense eyes, and tried not to squirm.
 
“Can we help you by taking on any of this burden?” Sango asked. Touched, Kagome leaned forward to clasp the slayer's hand.
 
“Thank you… all of you… but there are some things that I must bear alone.”
 
“Then we will do our utmost to assist you in other ways, Kagome-sama… now, aren't there some supplies around here that need to be moved, or was Shippo-kun pulling our legs?”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
They spent the better part of a very hot hour moving supplies through the well and down to Kaede's storage shed; the final parcel turned out to be a new set of saddlebags, far larger than anything Arashi or Juhi could carry. When it looked like Miroku was on the verge of asking difficult questions, Kagome had to blithely fib that she'd requested them for Okibi. The monk gave her a sharp look, but held his tongue just as Inuyasha returned from the last trip through the well carting a pair of large watermelons.
 
The way he was carrying them against his chest made Miroku cough into his gauntlet; the hanyou glanced down, caught on instantly and startled all of them by striking a pose and fluttering his eyelashes outrageously. Sango collapsed into helpless giggles and Kagome just shook her head, grinning. “Oh, go soak your head, Inuyasha…”
 
His grin had a suggestive gleam. “Keh! I intend to, wench… that's a great idea, actually.” Bewildered, she blinked as he tossed one of the melons to Miroku, who nearly fumbled it, and then caught her around the waist. “It's hot, we're sweaty… a dunk in the river is in order, I think.”
 
“Excellent suggestion, Inuyasha. I would enjoy a chance to cool off… join us, lovely Sango?”
 
The slayer gave him a demure smile… and then grabbed Kagome's hand, yanked her out of Inuyasha's grip, and dragged the surprised girl behind her as she took off like a bat out of hell while yelling over her shoulder, “Last one in is a toad-imp!” Chortling gleefully, both girls legged it for the stairs, Sango bunching her yukata around her hips and showing not only a shapely length of bare leg but also an impressive turn of speed. Kagome raced alongside her, glad for the traction of her combat boots.
 
The boys would have caught them anyways, despite their handicap of heavy, awkwardly-shaped and slippery fruit, if Kirara hadn't shown up at that precise moment and allowed both girls to fling themselves onto her furry back. With a triumphant whoop, they soared up and then dove down to the riverbank, at an eddy not far above the falls.
 
When they tumbled off the fire-cat's back, Sango hugged Kirara, laughing; Kagome thought wistfully that it was the first time in a long while she'd heard the slayer sound so carefree. My problems pale in comparison to what she's lost… I really have to stop feeling sorry for myself. Kagome scratched the neko-youkai's ears in thanks just as their pursuers caught up. Inuyasha grinned, stripped off his juban and haori, stashed the melon he was carrying in the shallows, and then dove into the river. He surfaced on the other side, blowing like a porpoise and jibing at the monk. Miroku placed his burden in the same pool, and removed his robes until he was down to his fundoshi. With a jaunty grin, he jammed his staff into the soft bank, stepped out of his sandals, and disappeared under the water. He didn't surface until Inuyasha let out a yell and vanished, only to come up spluttering as Miroku backstroked out of reach, chortling.
 
Sango and Kagome looked at each other and giggled. Sango took off her sandals and apron, and waded in wearing her thin kosode, which promptly went transparent in some parts of the pattern. From the broad smirk on Miroku's face, it was obvious which parts he was admiring. Sango smiled sweetly at him as he neared her with a rakish grin on his lips… and then swiftly dunked him.
 
The last one on the bank, Kagome quickly stripped down to her bra top and shorts and splashed in to join the fray. The water was no warmer on this hot summer day then it had been just over a year ago, the day the Jewel shattered, and the chill took her breath away. Grinning to herself as she ducked her head, thinking of her swimming instructor Sensei Kosaru, whose ancestor was currently in pursuit of his ancestress with intent to kiss, she was just distracted enough to react badly when something grabbed her ankle and pulled her under. She instantly switched to attack-mode, and lashed out blindly with a glowing pink hand. Her fingers contacted something, and then Inuyasha was yelling, a mark on his shoulder steaming in the sunshine as she desperately blinked the water out of her eyes and realized what she'd done.
 
“Oh, Inuyasha! I'm sorry! I just… gods, all I could think of was when that oni grabbed me in the hot spring and pulled me under…” He forgot the pain of being slightly purified and wrapped his arms around her, holding her tight until she was breathing normally, their wet hair making patterns on their skin.
 
Miroku paddled over and peered at her. “That was the day that I met you for the first time, I believe.”
 
“Yeah, and the first and last time you saw Kagome naked, ya lech.”
 
Miroku noticed how Sango's eyebrows were disappearing into her hairline, and hastily clarified, “I must protest, Inuyasha. I certainly did not see Kagome-sama's womanly form, since your sleeve was in the way.”
 
“Lucky for you, houshi, because otherwise I'd be forced to gouge out your eyeballs…”
 
“My dear hanyou, the modest glimpse I received of Kagome-sama's charms was much too brief to warrant that kind of extreme measure to wipe away the image!” Miroku glanced around quickly and lowered his voice, “now, if it had been Kaede-sama's naked glory, on the other hand, I would assist you…” He chortled at the face Inuyasha pulled and rolled onto his back, floating out into the middle of the river. Sango winked at them before slipping stealthily under the water; they had no doubt Miroku was in for a surprise.
 
Inuyasha nuzzled Kagome's wet hair. “First and last time he groped your ass, too…”
 
She chuckled. “He really didn't want to find out if his Vortex would reappear in his other hand!” Giving him a squeeze, she leaned up to lightly kiss him. “Sorry about zapping you.”
 
“Keh. No harm done. How about a piece of melon?”
 
They sat on the bank, eating melon and spitting seeds, enjoying the golden afternoon. Later, when the shadows began to stretch, they dressed and wandered back to Kaede's hut to help Etsu move the last of her possessions, which had increased in number due to the kindness of the villagers. Kaede produced a stew made out of the left-over venison, and they all ate together as their talk turned to the patrol. After spending the last bit of daylight packing rations and tents in preparation for their departure the next day, Inuyasha and Kagome said their goodbyes against a soft night-chorus of crickets and tree frogs.
 
A comfortable silence fell between them as they strolled through the forest hand-in-hand, listening to the twilight noises. The velvety night wrapped softly, intimately around them, bringing a gentle sensuousness with it. They were highly aware of each other, their skin tingling where their fingers and palms touched, where thick fire-rat brushed against bare arms. At the well, Inuyasha cupped Kagome's face in his hands and kissed her softly as an errant night-breeze whispered through their hair, swirling the warm scents of the summer forest around them.
 
No words were exchanged then, nor when the glimmering blue receded, leaving them pressed closely together at the bottom of the dark well shaft, their tongues gently duelling, hands sliding into hair, bodies twining. Inuyasha scooped her into his arms and leapt them up onto the planking, carried her up the stairs and set her on her feet. Kagome tucked herself against his side; wordlessly, they exited the well house and walked across the warm paving stones of the courtyard towards the darkened house. Instead of going through the door, the hanyou again caught her in his arms and sprang through her open window.
 
They kissed again, slow, heated and gentle, their bodies melting together, until Kagome slowly pulled away, and gestured with her hands to indicate that she wanted to tell her mother they were home. Inuyasha nodded, but seemed reluctant to break physical contact with her; he followed her to the door and allowed a lock of her hair to trail through his fingers. She blew him a kiss and slipped downstairs to seek out her mother, who was sitting peacefully in the dimly lit living room; Kioko held her finger to her lips and smiled, then kissed her goodnight. The hush in the house was so profound that Kagome didn't want to disturb it, so tip-toed quietly back into her room and closed the door.
 
Inuyasha leaned against the window ledge, like he had last night, but this time his cat's-slit eyes glowed in the darkness instead of being hidden behind his bangs. She smiled at him, and when he held out his hands to her, she padded silently across the floor to nestle into his arms. As they kissed, and hands found their way under clothing to caress warm flesh, it was almost like the first time they had touched, the sensations were so intoxicating. Fire-rat and fatigues were shed, piece by piece, until they were naked in the moonlight, skin sliding over skin, the only two people in the world.
 
They collapsed onto the bed in a tangle of limbs and hair, caressing each other urgently, speaking only through heated glances and with sensuous movements. At the ultimate moment, Inuyasha laced his fingers with hers and surged powerfully into her, stealing her breath away until she could only sigh softly into his shoulder. They curled around each other and slid off to sleep, their fingers still entwined, caught in the magic of the night.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
An undisclosed location far to the south of the village
 
“Do not fail me, Kagura.”
 
“Spare me the `or else', Naraku. What should I do with the brat once I have her in hand?”
 
“Leave her at the old monastery building on the far side of the eastern ridge with Kohaku and return here to set up an outer line of defence; if he refuses to take the bait, she will be in so many pieces that resurrection will be impossible.”
 
“As my lord commands.”
 
“Tut, tut…watch your tone, Kagura. A little extra power would do me some good right now…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
A/N: And you just know, after that warm-fuzzy ending for the InuCru, that the dragon-shit is really going to hit the fan… ::evil grin::