InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Hostage ( Chapter 62 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. All characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan Publishing, and VIZ is in the dog-pile somewhere, too.
 
A/N: Coarse language alert; heavily referencing the relevant manga to keep all the action straight…
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 62: Hostage
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
 
“Good morning, Kagome!”
 
Kagome waved to the slayer while mentally shelving the results of her recent and very frustrating phone call to a certain monosyllable-favouring taiyoukai who had stoically refused to give her any reassurances that Inuyasha had not screwed things up. “Morning, Sango… where's the houshi?”
 
“Writing up a few last-minute sutras; he's made a couple of trips to the paddock already with our gear. Where's Inuyasha?”
 
“He's around here somewhere; I sent him through earlier to do a perimeter check and to chase down Shippo.”
 
“Speak of the demon…” Sango grinned at something beyond Kagome's shoulder just as a pair of bright voices sang out.
 
“Kagomeeee!”
 
“Kagome-san!”
 
She put down her pack and crouched just in time to be enthusiastically pounce-hugged by the giggling pair. Ruffling Shippo's bangs while she curled an arm around Shiori, she grinned. “You two look like `mischief'. Inuyasha's been looking for you, Shippo.”
 
“He found me… and I have something to ask, honoured mother.” Kagome's eyebrow arched at both the formal title and tone as the kit backed off a couple of steps, folded his hands into his sleeves and bowed very respectfully. “I ask your permission to remain here and guard the village while you are away on patrol.”
 
She noticed the way his green eyes flicked to Shiori, who was still cuddled against her shoulder. Kagome smiled, swept the thought of the bat-hanyou's fate into the broom closet in her mind, and nodded. “That sounds like a great idea, Shippo. Between you and Kumo, the village will be very well protected.” The kit beamed widely and puffed out his chest. Kagome stifled a giggle and gave Shiori an extra squeeze before releasing her. As she stood up, a familiar youkai washed over her.
 
Inuyasha gave her that crooked, gentle smile she associated with his softest moments, and she quirked a grin back at him, wondering what had brought this on. Shippo held out his hand to Shiori, and the two scooted off towards Kaede's hut. Kagome walked over to her hanyou, and wasn't too surprised to be wrapped tightly in his embrace. Sango smirked, and turned slightly away, ostensibly looking for Miroku while she ran her finger lightly up Hiraikotsu's honed edge.
 
After a contented minute of listening to Inuyasha purr softly under her ear, Kagome stretched up to brush her lips along his jaw, bringing a lower timbre to the sound emanating from his chest. He continued to cradle her close, his nose buried in her hair, seemingly very contented about something… but she was suddenly very sure she didn't want to know what about, for fear of adding more stress to her already full plate.
 
“Shall we be on our way? The sun is shining, the day is bright… and there are shards to be found.” Miroku's voice was very cheery as he stepped up to Sango and gave her a swift peck on the cheek.
 
Kagome wriggled loose from Inuyasha's arms and grinned at the monk. “You're awfully perky this morning, houshi. You obviously didn't keep Sango up…”
 
He waggled his eyebrows suggestively. “You have it all wrong, Kagome-sama. My lovely Sango kept me `up'… several times… owww!” Sango gave him a dark look before turning on her heel and stalking away. Miroku sighed happily, watching the sway of her hips, but followed at a safe distance. Kagome scooped up her pack and twined her fingers with Inuyasha's, a tactile memory of the previous night bringing colour to her cheeks and softness to his eyes as they strolled after the slayer and the monk towards the paddock.
 
All four paused at the sight which greeted them. A small, fluffy Kirara was perched on one of the fence posts, and appeared to be deep in conversation with Kumo and Okibi. The two tenbaryu were giving the neko-youkai their undivided attention; Kagome noticed Inuyasha's ears perking sharply just before he strode over to the trio. Kirara mewed at him in greeting, and then the discussion continued, consisting of chirps, trills, meows as well as some interesting yips and low woofs from the hanyou.
 
The three humans looked at each other in bafflement, and then settled back to await the outcome. No one was really prepared for Inuyasha's straight-faced pronouncement. “Keh. Change in plans. Kumo is coming with us and Okibi is staying behind to guard Arashi and the village.”
 
Miroku boggled slightly. “Okibi is… staying? But I thought…”
 
“Okibi was adamant that Kumo come with us; he's promised to keep an eye on you for her.”
 
“All right, then.” Miroku stepped up to the fence and took Okibi's muzzle in his hands; the tenbaryu cooed and rubbed her head against him. “I was looking forward to travelling with you, my scaly beauty, but I will wait patiently to enjoy another opportunity to experience your charming company.”
 
Sango snorted loudly. “Now he's flirting with the animals. Is there no end to your depravity, Miroku?”
 
“I am merely keeping my glib tongue honed for battle with crafty innkeepers, lovely Sango.” The slayer rolled her eyes at the beatifically smiling monk, and the preparation for departure commenced.
 
Kagome, who had been resigned to riding either Kirara or on Inuyasha's back, couldn't suppress her gleeful smile as she slipped through the fence to begin the process of saddling Kumo. When Inuyasha arrived beside her carrying the massive saddle bags, she poked him in the arm. “Now you can speak tenbaryu? When did you discover this talent?”
 
“Keh. I don't understand a damn thing these lizards squeak; Kirara was translating. They'd already made their decision, anyways.” A long white tail suddenly whipped through the air, slapping the hanyou in the side of the head. While Inuyasha swore luridly and glared at the nonchalant creature, Kagome continued calmly tightening the girth and checking the mounting straps. She was fairly sure that Inuyasha then deliberately dropped the heavy saddle bags with an unnecessary amount of force into place across Kumo's broad back; a sudden thought occurred to her.
 
“If Kumo is carrying us as well as these bags, then he's reached his limit for weight, which is the equivalent of three adults…”
 
“We're not going to set any speed records on this patrol; we'll go at Kirara's pace. We have the tents, and enough rations to hold us for a few weeks. Nice and easy… the weather is good, so no rush.” Sango smiled brightly at her as the neko-youkai leapt down from the post and stretched elaborately before transforming to her full size.
 
“But we have to find the shards before more people are hurt!” Kagome blurted out, and the others looked at her. Inuyasha's hand landed on her shoulder, steadying her.
 
“Different kinds of hurt occur every hour of every day in these times, Kagome-sama, and we cannot prevent them all; however, we shall do our utmost to offer protection and comfort where we can. Shall we proceed?” Miroku nodded to her before sliding onto Kirara's back; the fire-cat grumbled a bit while he neatly adjusted his robes before holding out his hand to the slayer. Sango slipped into place behind him, and Kagome noticed something important missing from their silhouettes just as Kirara gathered herself in preparation for going airborne.
 
“Hey! Where are your packs?”
 
“The saddlebags, of course. This frees Kirara from any unnecessary weight and will allow her to cover more ground on a daily basis.”
 
Kagome looked at Kumo, and the stallion executed the equivalent of a shrug before bending his foreleg so that she could mount. She was barely settled into the saddle when Inuyasha was behind her, tugging on her pack. “Take this off, wench. There's still room in the bags, and then all you have to carry on your back is your quiver.” Kumo waited patiently while her gear was stashed into the voluminous pouches and the now-empty pack tossed over the paddock fence. Inuyasha cupped his hands around his mouth and yelled, “Oi! Runt! C'mere!”
 
A red-headed bird appeared a few moments later and circled them once before `popping' back into the kitsune, who settled onto the top rail. Inuyasha regarded him with real seriousness. “Since you're staying here, runt, you and Okibi will have to work together to protect the village. Check the perimeters every day and do your turn in the watchtower. Listen to Kaede-baba, and don't encourage Shiori to practise her flying unless Okibi helps you. Got all that?”
 
Shippo stood up very tall, and grinned at the hanyou. “Got it! You can count on me!” Okibi stretched out her neck and snorted at the startled kit, knocking him off the fence to land with a yelp and a pout on the discarded pack. She then turned back to Kumo; they held a brief conversation heavy on the `squeaking' before the stallion bunted her away. Shaking her black mane, Okibi walked over to stand beside Arashi; the dapple-grey mare bumped up against the tenbaryu in a friendly fashion before trotting across the paddock to rub noses with Kumo. He lowered his massive head to caress her affectionately, making soft noises in his throat while she whickered. Inuyasha rolled his eyes and growled lightly; a warning tension in the muscles beneath her tipped her off as Kumo cocked a leathery ear back at the hanyou and she tightened her grip on the reins.
 
“Keh. Let's get on with it… Shiiiit!” Inuyasha barely had time to grab for the saddle cloth when Kumo abruptly surged into the air. Kagome wasn't completely sure, but she thought she felt a quiet snicker vibrate through the tenbaryu. Oh, this could be an interesting patrol
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
One week later
 
“This is an unacceptable delay, Kagura…”
 
“He hasn't taken the brat with him once! Do you suggest that I simply walk up to the gates and demand he turn her over?”
 
“While that would undoubtedly rid me of your tiresome presence, it would not further my plans. Continue to watch and wait, and send word with the hell wasps the moment they exit the fortress.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Two weeks later
 
Cool air rushed past Kagome's face, streaming her hair behind her and snapping it against her back. Thank the gods it's so much more pleasant up at this altitudeI can't believe how hot it has been! Sango waved from Kirara's back as the fire-cat sprang into a thermal and soared upward; Miroku's whoop was lost in the slipstream. Beneath her, Kumo's powerful muscles bunched as he, too, surged into the updraft of heated air and they arced into the clear early-evening summer sky.
 
“We're going to lose Inuyasha!” Sango called over, once they were levelled out and abreast of each other.
 
“He wanted to stretch his legs!” Kagome shouted back, then looked down, searching for the red blur streaking through the clearings in the heavy forest cover below. We've been out for two weeks; we have two more shards, but still no sign of Naraku… his shield must be extremely strong.
 
Betcha it isn't strong enough to beat the old man.
Hope not… and I hope we have a chance to test it.
Have to find it first; you still haven't sensed anything, Nixie?
Not even a hint of an evil aura.
How much farther south are we going?
I expect we'll start heading back to complete the loop… don't start asking `are we there yet', or else…
Since the runt ain't with us, I have to take over his role…
Not unless you want Inuyasha to start whacking you like he does Shippo.
Hm… no thanks. I vibrated for hours the last time he hit me, and it wasn't completely my fault!
I kept trying to tell him that Midoriko was involved, too, but he just wouldn't listen.
He seems scared of you, Riko.
Sensible lad. When are you going to smarten up, Fenik?
Lucky I'm your favourite sword-demon, huh?
Not that I have a great deal of choice
 
Kagome shook her head, clearing it of the internal chaffing going on and examined the terrain. They were very far south of Edo, heading in the general direction of Osaka by air. Having Kumo along had made for some interesting tussles for dominance between two of the three demons in the party. After a bit of head-banging between Inuyasha and Kumo, they had sorted out a working relationship, and Kirara kept both of the males in line, a fact which made Kagome snicker, but she was careful to avoid pointing out to the alpha dog that he was allowing a cat to dictate some of his actions.
 
They still had coinage left over from their last patrol, so the evening routine was to find a campsite close to a likely-looking village, send Miroku and Sango off to buy some fresh food to augment their rations, and settle down around the campfire. Kumo would provide a backrest, and she often slept snuggled against his scaly hide with Inuyasha curled around her.
 
The close quarters with the tenbaryu meant that she and Inuyasha had to be content with just cuddling at night, but matters certainly weren't helped by the fact that Sango and Miroku had no such limitations, since Kirara preferred sleeping next to the fire to monitoring their activities. Some evenings, it apparently took an hour or more to wash four mess tins and four mugs... While the other couple forbore broadcasting their satisfaction and merely looked quietly contented, Inuyasha was extremely vocal in his state of deprivation.
 
Fuck it all to the fifth hell! I can't take much more of this…”
 
“Hush, Inuyasha. We can't afford to drop our guard… or our trousers, so just relax…”
 
“Shit, this is a perfectly good hot spring, you're naked, I could be… and we can't do a damn thing because that fucking lizard won't leave us alone!” While Kagome bit her lip to keep from giggling, because Inuyasha really was very upset, she couldn't help but notice that Kumo was taking an active interest in their conversation from his perch on the opposite side of the steaming pool.
 
“Well, I could ask him to keep watch while we…”
 
“Wench, I'm not an exhibitionist.”
 
Thinking about the last time they'd been in a hot spring together after Ryukotsusei, which had ended with him strolling back to the campsite au natural and apparently unworried about voyeuristic wildlife, she replied, “I never would have guessed that you're the shy type… don't be cranky with me, please.”
 
“Not trying to,” he grumbled petulantly, his ears flattened into his hair. “I can't believe that you don't want to…”
 
“Of course I'd rather be rubbing your ears, but we can't always have what we want…”
 
“At least the other side of the well is a flying-lizard-free-zone.” With that, the hanyou turned around, huffing loudly, so he didn't have to see the soft, curving, lick-able, nuzzle-able flesh just beyond his reach, thanks to Kumo. Kagome had to quickly submerge to prevent herself from laughing out loud over the knowledge that Kumo and Arashi's bloodline was still going strong five hundred years later… and then wondering if a descendent of the tenbaryu had ever driven Yashita crazy.
 
On that thought, she leaned out again to see if she could glimpse Inuyasha, but the wind of their passage, not to mention the sting of being whipped in the face by the wild flickering of Kumo's long white mane, made her eyes water to the point of blindness. I guess he'll let us know when he's hungry
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Jaken-sama? Would you like a piece of melon?”
 
“No, you foolish girl! Hurry and eat so that we may return to Sesshomaru-sama!”
 
“It isn't polite to shout, Jaken-sama. I thought you might be hungry.”
 
“Cease your prattling and hurry up, Rin!” The toad-imp scolded and then sighed heavily, squeezing his bulbous eyes tightly closed. Why, oh why did Sesshomaru-sama leave me to guard this annoying child? It is so demeaning… my place is at my lord's side, not nurse-maiding a lowly mortal!
 
Rin glanced over her shoulder at Jaken's loud exhalation, shrugged, and went back to gobbling up as many of the small, sweet melons as she could, feeling her way among the rampant vines in the fading light. They had been out on patrol with Sesshomaru-sama and Ah-Un for several days now, and the food parcels carefully packed for her by Momiji-san were almost all gone. She tucked a couple of the fruits into the front of her kosode, intending to offer them to Sesshomaru-sama later on; he sometimes surprised her by accepting.
 
A tickling little wind that had twitched her hair into her eyes for most of this illicit foray suddenly turned into a violent gust, and she curled into a protective ball. She began to sit up at Jaken's surprised exclamation, and a cold feeling settled in her stomach when she heard a woman's mocking tones.
 
“Well, well, well… what have we here? A child and an imp, all alone, without their guardian dog… tsk, tsk. Almost too easy…” Rin began to struggle when she was hoisted off the ground; a sharp blow across her face from a slender hand stunned her. Then the earth whirled away below her, and she dazedly watched Jaken leap about, shaking the Staff of Two Heads.
 
“Begone, you witch! I, Jaken, will… no! Put Rin down! Come back!”
 
“Make up your mind, fool! First you say `begone', then you beg my return… tell your great Sesshomaru-sama that if he expects to see the girl alive, he should accept Naraku's invitation.” Rin tried to twist away, heedless of the potential fall, but she was shaken violently by her abductor. “Be still, you little brat. You're no good to me dead… and I really don't want to drop you, because your precious taiyoukai would never forgive me.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Sesshomaru managed to not heave a sigh when Jaken's grating tones screeched out from the base of the hill and caused both of Ah-Un's heads to grunt in surprise. Closing his eyes, he inhaled deeply, searching for the patience necessary to prevent the toad from being flattened… and a faint, unwelcome scent instantly raised his hackles.
 
“Jaken. Where is Rin?” He raised an eyebrow at the gulp that choked off the imp's urgent squalling.
 
“Forgive me, my lord… but that foul creature…”
 
Jaken.” There was enough warning loaded into that single word to bring his retainer to a dead halt, still some distance behind him. He detected the rustle of linen as the imp bowed.
 
“That spawn of Naraku, the wind witch, appeared and seized Rin before I could prevent the kidnapping!” Instantly, a deep growl began to build inside Sesshomaru's chest as his youkai flared around him. Naraku dared touch what is mine?
 
“That is a fine display of demonic power, Sesshomaru-sama… very fine, indeed.” The long-unheard oily tones took the taiyoukai right back to that night when he had accepted a human arm and a hell wasps' nest in order to seize the Tetsusaiga… and left empty-handed, with his breastplate blown off and his dignity in tatters.
 
His hair prickling on the back of his neck in spite of himself, he spun to face the baboon pelt, noting the creature's eyes glinting red in the shadows of the empty eye sockets as well as the hovering jewel-toned insects. Jaken gasped and took cover behind Ah-Un, then sensibly remained silent. “Naraku… you are a fool to seek this Sesshomaru.”
 
“I have a request, Sesshomaru-sama, and offer a generous reward for your acquiescence.” When the taiyoukai did not respond, merely gazed stoically at the speaker, the ingratiating voice continued. “Kill Inuyasha for me. If you succeed, then the child Rin shall be returned to you…. alive.”
 
The wind rose suddenly, ruffling the white pelts worn by both of the figures, tugging on Sesshomaru's robes and pulling at his hair. “I will kill Inuyasha for my own satisfaction… and as for this pathetic attempt at manipulating me, no hell will be deep enough for you to hide.” The threat against his brother was an empty one, but the deadly anger tinting his voice at the possible harm to his ward was genuine. Sesshomaru's outline blurred for a moment, and then the baboon pelt was sliced neatly in half, the head rolling to the side as it spewed miasmic vapours. A crumbling pile of mud was all that remained, centred on a small wooden statuette with several black hairs wound around it.
 
Jaken poked at the steaming muck with the end of his staff and then recoiled in distaste. “A golem! Naraku does not dare show his face in front of the great Sesshomaru-sama…” He trailed off when he caught the murderous look in the taiyoukai's eye just before the tall figure turned away and stalked off into the gathering darkness. The toad-imp gawped for a moment before scurrying after his master, mindful of both the tenbaryu's heavy trot and the buzzing insects following at a discreet distance. Sesshomaru-sama will not abandon Rin! He would never leave her in the hands of one such as Naraku, even if he were to fail at killing the hanyou… Jaken clapped one hand over his beak, as if to stifle the disloyal thought. Of course Sesshomaru-sama will destroy Inuyasha! The wretch must die so that my lord can gain the Tetsusaiga… and finally lay aside that halfling fang, which is so demeaning to my lord's dignity
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Come into my chamber, quoth the spider to the fly…
 
In the screen-partitioned audience hall of a barrier-shielded castle not so very far from the mayhem-inclined taiyoukai's location, a dark hanyou smiled at the image shown to him by a circular mirror held in the hands of a pale wraith.
 
I didn't realize that the bait was of such importance to you, Sesshomaru; how very interesting. While Inuyasha's death would be a lovely treat for you to indulge me with, once I have availed myself of your demonic power, killing the bothersome hanyou will be child's play
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Inuyasha! Are you sure?”
 
“ `Course I'm sure, slayer! I'd know Naraku's stink anywhere!” The hanyou didn't pause in his forward rush, barrelling through the underbrush like it wasn't even there. Kirara and Kumo paced him effortlessly overhead, their respective passengers clinging on tightly to avoid being whipped off by stray branches or opportunistic vines. Fifteen minutes ago, they had been peacefully sitting around their campfire when Inuyasha had abruptly growled an expletive, shot to standing, sniffed intently and then bolted into the night. The others were still blinking when he rocketed back into the circle of firelight, spat out Naraku's name, then vanished again.
 
They had caught up to him fairly easily using the fire-cat's and the tenbaryu's speed, but there was no slowing him down despite Kagome's entreaties that he catch a ride on Kumo's back. She strained for the slightest sense of Jewel shards, trying to locate the tell-tale malevolent aura, but to no avail. Naraku must have dropped his shield if Inuyasha can detect his scent… but why can't I pick up on the Jewel's aura? At that very moment, a shard pinged sharply on her consciousness and she sat up tall on Kumo's back, twisting in the saddle until she determined the direction. Only one shard… crap. My luck isn't good enough for it NOT to be Kohaku…
 
“There's a single shard on that ridge!” Two dark heads snapped up as she pointed towards the hump-backed chunk of topography looming on the horizon; Inuyasha's ears swivelled and he halted his headlong rush. All the hunters touched down in a tight group; Kumo chirruped excitedly and danced sideways as Kagome's power rippled outward, locking in on the faint trace of energy that gave away the shard's presence. “It's there all right… what should we do?”
 
“Go check out the shard. If I don't find Naraku, I'll come get you. If I do find him… well, just head towards the light show.” Kagome's heart lurched when Inuyasha grinned tightly at her. She reached for him, suddenly afraid for his safety in a way that had never gripped her before, but grasped only air as he jumped lightly up onto Kumo's back to steal a quick kiss before taking off into the shadows of the forest.
 
She looked around wildly, but Kirara was already airborne and heading in the direction she'd indicated; Kumo tossed his head and leapt after the neko-youkai. Kagome peered into the darkness, almost desperate for a glimpse of silver and red, but was denied by their diverging paths. Shaking herself firmly, she wondered at the intense fear that had nearly paralyzed her. Get a grip, Higurashi! You're acting like a hysterical old woman…
 
Kaede-baba's old, but she ain't exactly hysterical.
Why am I feeling this way? Is it because Naraku has split us up again? Is it a trap, and we're letting ourselves be sucked in?
Of course it's a trap… you just have to figure out what he's after and beat him at his own game.
Easy for you to say, Fenik. Midoriko? Any suggestions?
Not at this point; however, are you prepared to kill Kohaku if it becomes necessary?
Er… if I had to… and Sango was okay with it…
This is a conversation you need to have with her.
I guess… although, `Hey, Sango! Do you mind if I wipe out the only surviving member of your family in the cause of the greater good?' doesn't sound very appealing.
You may be surprised at her answer. Be careful when you do confront him…
Trust me, I have very strong memories of what happened the last time; I'll bet that's why I'm so freaked out right now.
It is one possibility…
 
Beneath her, Kumo's powerful muscles stretched as he chased down Kirara, and the sensation of the Jewel shard strengthened the closer they came to the crest of the ridge. Kagome tried to calm herself, and instead of giving attention to the tightness in her gut, concentrated on analyzing possible fighting techniques for facing the only opponent who had ever seriously injured her.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Inside the small, musty dining hall of what had once been a modest monastery, a bedraggled little girl stirred from where she'd been carelessly dumped on the bare planks of the rotting floor. Dazedly, she rolled over, and wondered at the sound of tumbling objects that left the front of her kosode loose… and then sat bolt upright when she remembered the dizzying flight… and the fear…
 
“You've finally awakened, little one.” At the sound of the male voice that was most assuredly not Sesshomaru-sama's, nor even the toad-imp's, Rin scrabbled to her feet. Her eyes adjusted to the dim light thrown by a single guttering lamp, and she saw a slender teenage boy sitting propped up against the far wall, negligently twirling a gleaming scythe-like weapon in his hands. Rin wrinkled her brow and examined the stranger intently. He wore coarsely-made kosode and hakama, his wrists and ankles wrapped with cloth, like Sesshomaru-sama's guards wore when they sparred, and his dark hair was drawn up in a top-knot. Dark eyes twinkled above a kind smile. She frowned at him, then noticed an exterior door just to the boy's left; she squared her shoulders, lifted her chin, and marched straight for it.
 
The youth didn't bother to even try to intercept her, which she thought was a little strange, merely chuckling a bit when she pulled the doors open. The night sky was full of lazily twining, twisting shapes that curled back on themselves rather like the fighting kites the children of the fortress flew outside the battlements on brisk Spring days. She was about to step outside anyways when one large, whiskered specimen turned glowing acid-green eyes on her and bared its long yellow fangs before it surged towards her. Rin slammed the doors shut in its face, stood silently for a moment while she thought over her options, then spun on her heel. Scooping up the tumbled melons and tucking them back in her kosode, she wheeled around, walked across the room and seated herself beside the youth, who had watched all of this with a bemused smile.
 
“So long as you stay inside, you have nothing to fear from those creatures, little one.”
 
“I'm Rin… and I was kidnapped by that lady, the one who rides on a feather. I have to get back to Sesshomaru-sama! I don't want him to be angry because he can't find me. Maybe… you could help me escape?” Rin looked at the youth with the biggest puppy eyes she could manage; he continued to smile quietly at her… just like Sesshomaru-sama when she tried out her pleading technique on him.
 
“I'm Kohaku… and I'm your guard, Rin-chan. In a way, I'm just as much as a prisoner as you are.” He glanced away for a moment, and Rin thought she saw a flash of old pain in the boy's eyes. Instantly sympathetic, she scooted closer to him and curled into his side; Kohaku looked down at her in surprise.
 
“You won't let those demons outside get me, will you?”
 
There was a long silence, and then very slowly, his hand moved until he was awkwardly petting her hair. “I'll… look after you, Rin-chan… but it isn't the evil outside that you should worry about…”
 
“Thank you, Kohaku-kun… I'm sure Sesshomaru-sama will be pleased when he comes to rescue me. Would you like some melon?”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“My lord! Have you detected Rin's whereabouts?”
 
“She is not my concern.”
 
The imp recoiled, perplexed at the taiyoukai's cold answer because every pore of his tall, slender body fairly radiated intense fury. Jaken chewed his beak, thinking hard while he hop-skipped along in Sesshomaru's wake, only to nearly impale himself on Tokijin's gleaming tip when the youkai came to an abrupt halt. “Sesshomaru-sama…?”
 
“Naraku's castle.”
 
Jaken obediently looked around, expecting to see a distant fortification gleaming in the moonlight, but all he saw was a bucolic vista of the slumbering countryside. His eyebrow arched, but he knew enough to keep his scepticism to himself. A moment after that, he seriously questioned his sanity when the peaceful scenery warped and twisted before shredding to reveal a gleaming dark-purple dome shot through with brilliant sparks. A magenta whorl opened up in front of them, an obvious invitation… or command… to enter.
 
Sesshomaru glared at the opening, wrinkling his nose at the gusting stench made up of so many varieties of demon-stink that even he, with his superior nose, couldn't identify exactly how many different energies Naraku housed within his body. I shall play his game for a little while longer. Setting his jaw, he strode forward through the portal, paying no heed to Jaken's anxious complaints nor Ah-Un's agitated calls.
 
Through the swirling vapours of the barrier, a graceful elevated summer-house became visible, bounded by a low wall. Leaping gracefully over the meagre fortification, Sesshomaru halted in the centre of the courtyard, all his senses on high alert. The air inside the barrier was very still and thick, and reeked of miasma. “Masterfully done, Naraku… thinning your barrier so that your foul stink would lure me into your presence.”
 
“Thank you, Sesshomaru-sama. I must tell you that the girl-child you seek is not here; she would be instantly deceased upon contact with the miasma.” The white baboon pelt shimmered into existence on the broad veranda of the summer house; the torches flickered wildly as if the air had been displaced by a solid body.
 
“I did not come here for the girl.”
 
“No? Then you do not intend to kill Inuyasha for me?” There was a mocking edge to the tone. “I have no need to keep her alive after all… too bad. She's a lovely little thing. I expect that you have been keeping her beside you in order to have emergency rations on hand?” Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed dangerously as the dark hanyou continued in his light, mocking tone, “Of course you intend to kill me to avenge this insult, correct?”
 
“You talk too much, Naraku.”
 
“Indulge me, Sesshomaru-sama. It took weeks for my plan to reach fruition, as you were not very co-operative about allowing your ward outside the fortress walls.” The baboon mask tilted to one side in an almost flirtatious gesture. “Allow me to savour your impeccable appearance for the last few moments of your separate existence.” Two and a half centuries of controlling his reactions stood Sesshomaru in good stead when the baboon pelt before him was tossed aside, and a creature out of nightmare wriggled and slithered its way across the veranda and spilled down the staircase towards him.
 
Tentacles waved and coiled, bony arachnoid legs flexed, a hideously long centipede-like body humped up behind… and in the centre of the obscene nest rose a torso that might vaguely be described as `humanoid' topped by a face that bore the long-dead countenance of the young lord of the Hitomi clan. Long black hair twisted and looped among the many protuberances of the exoskeleton like eerie vines. As the small claws on the ends of the spider legs clicked open and shut in anticipation of his flesh, the taiyoukai composed himself for battle. Jaken's clawed toes made a distinctive scrabbling sound as the imp ducked behind the timbers of a watchtower; Sesshomaru was fairly sure he heard the imp's beak chattering with fear and wondered briefly if Ah-Un had remained outside the barrier.
 
“What an obscenity. Your true form is a disgrace.”
 
That low, chilling laugh reverberated. “My true form? Not at all. This is but my latest design… and once I absorb you, I am sure that I will bear a far more elegant appearance as well as astonishing power.” A thin, jagged tentacle streaked outward, aiming at Sesshomaru's chest, but he calmly leapt out of the way and it shattered the ground beneath his feet instead of his armour.
 
“You wish to take me into that foul body of yours? You are very ambitious… to die.” The taiyoukai whisked out of the way of another strike and drew Tokijin in a graceful arc . Naraku sent a whole volley of thick, rubbery coils at him, and the blade forged out of the dark hanyou's own flesh severed all of them. They thumped to the ground, quivering.
 
Kagura slipped around the corner of the same watchtower that Jaken cowered under, red eyes alight with intense interest. This could be it… this could be the night that I gain my freedom! Even though she kept her face composed, inside she was fairly wild with gleeful anticipation. Like a bucket of cold water to the face, her excitement was thoroughly doused when the detached demonic chunks twitched, rose into the air, formed into a single length and flung itself around Sesshomaru's leg before the taiyoukai could avoid its touch. He raised Tokijin to remove them, but Naraku threw another tangle of flesh at him, and he had to slash through it to avoid being pierced through. As soon as the tentacles struck the ground, they turned into a long rope, and attempted to bind his arms to his sides. Only his stump was entangled, but that was enough to cause Naraku to gloat in satisfaction. Very soon, I will welcome you into my body, Sesshomaru… and then I will be invincible.
 
The sensation of being gripped and caressed by Naraku's flesh did not improve Sesshomaru's temper.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Dammit all… Naraku's stink is gone! He must have raised his barrier again! If I don't find it soon, I'll lose the trail… to be so fucking close!” Inuyasha slammed his fist into a handy tree-trunk, cursing angrily, and stepped out of the shelter of the copse into a moonlit meadow. A tickling night-breeze stirred the grass, swirling dust motes into the still air… and then he smelt it. Sesshomaru? What in all the hells is he doing here? Sniffing intently and moving on the balls of his feet, alert for an ambush, Inuyasha edged across the sea of grass. Has that rat-bastard been in league with Naraku this whole time? He was given an arm, he uses that evil sword made out of Goshinki's fang…fuck. Kagome will be pissed… wait a minute. His scent just vanishes, like he went through a door…?
 
Struck by inspiration, Inuyasha whipped Tetsusaiga out of its scabbard and held the transformed blade in front of him as he moved forward. Within a dozen steps, the tip of the weapon sparked violently, and the peaceful night-scape seemed to waver. Inuyasha narrowed his eyes, and poked again. This time there was a definite movement in the fabric of reality, like ripples across the surface of a pond. The hanyou backed up a step, chewed his lip, and then raised the gleaming length of enchanted metal above his head. “Lend me your power, Tsukuyomaru… Red Tetsusaiga!
 
With a deafening howl, the great blade fluoresced scarlet. Inuyasha crouched, then leapt into the air before slashing downwards in a powerful two-handed blow that contacted the shield in a fiery shower of magenta sparks. A rift opened, and Inuyasha could just see, through the veil of miasmic vapours, the curving roofline of a building behind a defensive wall. Found it… but will I have to destroy Sesshomaru as well?
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Inside the monastery, the flickering lamp revealed the remains of two mostly-eaten melons, and lit the drowsy form of a young girl cuddled up against the side of a teenage boy. She'd tired herself out telling him all about the special sweet dumplings Momiji-san made for her if she learned her lessons and took a bath without fussing, and what it was like to ride on Ah-Un, and how much less scary that was than riding on a feather and how Sesshomaru-sama had twin guards that even he couldn't tell apart, and how if you tickled the female head the right way, Jaken-sama's Staff of Two Heads would giggle instead of scream. Throughout the mostly one-sided conversation, the boy had regarded her with those dark eyes and nodded his head at appropriate spots, but hadn't volunteered his own information, other than he did not retain any memories of his family.
 
Rin yawned and rubbed her eyes. “I wonder why you don't remember anything about your past, Kohaku-kun? That seems really strange…”
 
“I don't want to remember, Rin-chan. It hurts too much.”
 
“Oh.” Rin's voice was very small. “I don't like to remember what happened to my family, either. They were killed by bandits; I only survived because okaa-san wrapped me in an old mat and hid me in the corner under some rushes after telling me to stay quiet. I-I saw it all, but I didn't make a sound… I didn't start talking again until Sesshomaru-sama saved me from the wolves.” The boy moved restlessly, and Rin fell silent for a moment. “I'm sorry… am I chattering too much? I don't mind if you tell me to be quiet…”
 
“It's all right, Rin-chan. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed talking to anyone.” He smiled at her, and she beamed back at him with real happiness. Sighing, she laid her head on his thigh and closed her eyes. After a moment of hesitation, his calloused hand came to rest first on her shoulder, and then he gently stroked her hair until she fell asleep.
 
Kohaku gazed down at her, this bright little spark so trusting of him to place her life in his hands, then gritted his teeth before looking away into that dark place deep inside him, centred on the tainted shard currently quiescent in his back… the shard that he knew all too well that would eventually awaken and blot out his mind. On a sudden impulse, he laid aside his scythe, lifted the little girl into his arms and cuddled her protectively. Rin snuggled under his chin and a twinge went through his heart, wondering if he'd ever held a younger sister or brother like this because it felt so familiar and comforting. I-I will protect you, Rin-chan… from the darkness within my soul.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Kagura! Find the breach in the shield! Go!” Naraku didn't bother to disguise the urgency in his tone once he felt the near-physical pain of his barrier being torn open. The wind witch stepped out from behind the watchtower, cast a longing look at the embattled taiyoukai, then threw down a feather and vanished.
 
“Pity that this visitor will miss the chance to greet you in person, Naraku.” The dark hanyou's head snapped back around towards Sesshomaru just in time to take a full-on strike of Tokijin that sent gobbets of flesh flying… only to change direction mid-flight like grotesque birds and enshroud the taiyoukai in an obscenely quivering cloak. Naraku grinned evilly.
 
Keep striking out like that, Sesshomaru… and soon, very soon… we will know each other more intimately than even the most fond of lovers.
 
Sesshomaru stiffened as several small appendages slipped under his armour plates and began wriggling their way into his clothing. His eyes flashed red, and he had to stop himself from dropping Tokijin to claw the rhythmically throbbing flesh away from his person.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagura's feather swept through the miasmic air, searching for the breach and for the being that had caused it… but her thoughts kept going back to Sesshomaru, half-encased in Naraku's rubbery embrace. Her attention diverted by the probable death of her dreams of freedom, she was completely taken by surprise at the sudden and dramatic appearance of a familiar hanyou wielding a massive, glowing red blade that looked as if it had been dipped in fresh blood. She goggled for a moment, then found her voice.
 
“I-inuyasha? You cut the shield?”
 
“No shit, wind-bitch. Stay out of my way or I'll take you down, too. You don't stand a chance against me now.”
 
Inuyasha slung the weapon across his shoulders, watching her with narrowed eyes that might have been slightly red around the irises… or maybe that was just the reflection off the violently-coloured blade? She noted with interest the darkness of his cheek stripes and considered the strength of his aura. He might be option two! The buzzing of the hell wasps brought her attention back to the matter at hand… and she made a decision.
 
“I'm being watched, Inuyasha, so I have to make it seem that I am fighting you with all my might. Step lively now… `Dance of Blades'!” Kagura shouted her attack a split second before she swept her fan, giving the hanyou plenty of time to bring his sword into position. The moment between the words and the motion reduced the strength of the winds, so that when they struck the Tetsusaiga, they parted around it in a bow wave and ruffled Inuyasha's hair like the gentlest of Spring zephyrs.
 
Inuyasha blinked and furrowed his brow. What the fuck? There's no power in her attack… The unmistakeable cacophony of one of Naraku's demon hordes bearing down on him spun him around, and his lips curled back over his fangs in a fiendish grin. “Keh! Perfect… watch this, Kagura! Wind Scar!” The great blade slashed the air, and the entire writhing mass simply… ceased to exist. Smirking, he looked around for Kagura, only to find her hovering just above his head.
 
“Hurry, Inuyasha. Naraku is trying to absorb your brother into his body and take his demon power for his own.” She kept her voice low, and spun away as if she were being threatened by another swipe of his blade. Inuyasha snarled and took off deeper into the shielded castle grounds, following Sesshomaru's scent. Sounds like he isn't part of Naraku's schemes… Sighting a low wall, and then above that the curving roof of the pavilion he'd glimpsed at the moment he cut the shield, he ran lightly towards the fortification. Using the wall to gain height, he propelled himself up onto the roof… and froze in horror at the scene before him.
 
Naraku was barely recognizable, and Sesshomaru as well. The dark hanyou had been thoroughly mangled by Sesshomaru's sword, but it appeared that for once, his appendages were not trying to immediately rejoin his body. Instead, large amounts of oily, coiling, shifting flesh were wrapped around a tall, immobile figure half-way across the courtyard. Inuyasha watched helplessly as the final piece wriggled into position, and his brother's gleaming form was completely lost to view. Naraku's satisfied laugh brought him back to the present.
 
Sheer rage made his vision flash scarlet and his aura turned to boiling flames that whirled around him as he launched himself off the roof and at the partially dismembered dark hanyou, a primal scream of fury tearing from his throat. Naraku reared back, astonished at the strength of the demonic aura diving towards him and threw up a shield. Inuyasha? Where did he acquire such power? Inuyasha whirled his fiery sword and slashed downward, the words of the familiar wind attack almost lost in the bestial roar of his voice. Naraku indulged himself in a moment of smug superiority… until the blazing claws of the strike reached inside his shield and tore what was left of him to shreds.
 
Protected from harm inside the pile of contracting flesh, Sesshomaru felt the thundering shock waves of a familiar attack impact the exterior of his stifling prison and loosen the binding coils. Inuyasha… you have made the Tetsusaiga truly your own. As much as I hate to admit it… He shook off the rest of his thought, tightened his grip on Tokijin's hilt, and then used the weakened restraints to his advantage as he released the blade's dark power.
 
Naraku barely had time to dazedly absorb the success of the hanyou's attack when he was dealt a second body-blow. The glob of pulsating flesh hiding Sesshomaru from view abruptly exploded in a burst of azure light, and the taiyoukai emerged from his obscene cocoon looking only a little the worse for wear, and most certainly not in the least bit dissolved. He cast a brief glance over his apparel with an expression of distaste and shook his pelt back into position before addressing the shattered dark hanyou.
 
“I will not thank you for providing protection from the Tetsusaiga, when it appears you'd have been better served if you had kept your filth to yourself.”
 
Naraku eyed the two brothers, now standing nearly shoulder to shoulder against him, one wielding a glowing red blade and the other an icy sneer. This is most interesting… Inuyasha can now destroy my barriers. I may just have to use that final redoubt I have prepared while I regenerate. Too bad Sesshomaru escaped my grasp… his power would have created my new form much more quickly and easily. “Well, Inuyasha, your toy has an impressive new trick. I must compliment you.”
 
“Shut the fuck up, Naraku. I'll take great pleasure in sending you through the hell-gates.” Inuyasha's voice was a deep, rumbling growl; Sesshomaru studied his half-brother out of the corner of his eye, noting the incredibly elevated aura and purely demonic scent. Nevertheless, the hanyou will not take my prey, as he holds Rin's life. As Inuyasha lunged forward, raising the Tetsusaiga preparatory to bringing it down in a killing blow, Sesshomaru dove in front of him with Tokijin held for maximum impact. He heard Inuyasha choke off an expletive and slow, allowing him to take the initiative and slash at Naraku with the dark blade's full force.
 
Naraku seemed to dissolve, his very substance flickering and turning to mist, as the shield-barrier surrounding the castle tore itself asunder. The vapour curled around itself, then coalesced into a small, evilly-coloured twist of vapour. Inuyasha felt, rather than heard, Sesshomaru's vicious subsonic growl, and held his tongue. He had a whole pile of choice verbal ammo ready to be fired at his brother for interfering with the Tetsusaiga's strike and preventing Naraku's destruction once and for all… but decided that if Sesshomaru was about to transform into his true form, he didn't really need to make himself, rather than the dark hanyou, the target of a rampaging taiyoukai.
 
Sesshomaru's aura continued to grow and thicken; Inuyasha risked a quick glance. His brother's stripes were widening and becoming jagged, his fangs lengthening and his eyes burned scarlet as his silhouette began to shift.
 
“You will not escape me, Naraku.” His voice was far deeper and Inuyasha seriously considered looking for cover as Sesshomaru's aura crackled dangerously, but a disembodied laugh flattened his ears into his hair.
 
“Pursue me at your leisure, Sesshomaru… but spare a thought for your girl-child, who is at this moment in the care of Kohaku. If you do not know what that entails… perhaps Inuyasha would care to enlighten you.” The dark vapour spiralled up into the night sky, where it was lost among the stars. Inuyasha blinked rapidly, and then couldn't help but stare at the taiyoukai. Sesshomaru has… a girl-child? A human? What the fuck? And Naraku used her as a hostage? And… Kohaku has her? Crap.
 
Sesshomaru halted his transformation, hissing audibly in anger and frustration. He used Rin to both lure me out and to cover his escape…I did not care whether he lived or died before… but now, he will most definitely pay for attacking two members of the House of the West. Movement on his periphery drew his attention; Inuyasha sheathed the Tetsusaiga with exaggerated care and turned slightly to face him. Amber fire met yellow intensity in a steady, fearless gaze.
 
“I know where she is.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж