InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Strange Bedfellows ( Chapter 63 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. All characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan Publishing, and VIZ is in the dog-pile somewhere, too.
 
A/N: Heavily referencing the manga to keep everything straight… coarse language alert.
 
Bouquets to Nokomarie the Snake, for helping me with Sess's dialogue.
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 63: Strange Bedfellows
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
 
Inside the crumbling monastery, fitfully lit by the almost-drained oil lamp, Kohaku watched the peacefully sleeping little girl as she snuggled contentedly against his shoulder. Naraku most likely intends some evil for Rin-chan. I could protect her as I am now… but as soon as he uses the shard to call me… He grimaced, rubbing a hand over his face as he continued the upsetting thought. I will awaken with dried blood on my hands, like all the other times Rin snuffled in her sleep, smiled lightly and sighed. He studied her carefully. I was once like her… had a family who cared about me. Kohaku tilted his head back against the wall behind him, thinking. I had… a sister? His head suddenly felt like it was being split in half, and his pained gasp awakened the girl.
 
“Kohaku-kun? Are you all right?” she asked, rubbing her eyes.
 
He managed to smile around the blinding pain. “Yes, Rin-chan. My head just hurts a bit.” Tiny, cool fingers instantly found and massaged his temples. He was so startled that he held completely still, watching the rapt concentration on her face with interest.
 
“Momiji-san does this for me when my head hurts… is it helping, Kohaku-kun?”
 
“Thank you, Rin-chan… it really does feel better.” The little girl beamed at him like sunshine, and he couldn't help but smile at her cheerful face. A change in the air currents outside, as the patrolling demons were disturbed by an outside force, caught his attention. He quickly but gently moved Rin aside and blew out the lamp.
 
“K-Kohaku-kun…?” A small voice quavered in the sudden darkness.
 
“Hush, Rin-chan. Stay there.” Moving stealthily across the creaking floor-boards, Kohaku raised himself high enough to peer out of the slatted window just as a high-pitched scream, like that of a hunting sea-eagle, tore through the air. Flinching from the sound, he squinted against a brilliant flash of violet-pink light, and then inhaled sharply.
 
A huge neko-youkai, its hot-coal red eyes glowing, dipped close to the ground to drop off a passenger draped in the billowing robes of a monk. As the cat veered away, he glimpsed its black-clad rider… and a frisson of recognition tingled his scalp. The woman hefted an enormous bone boomerang and sent it whirling through a clump of demonic flesh… and he saw her face clearly illuminated by another flash of pink-toned light. It's her… the woman who said… she was my sister…?
 
Sango caught Hiraikotsu, gave it a snap to shake the blood from its edge and shot a quick glance at the shuttered building. Kohaku… are you there? Why are you under guard? Setting her jaw, the slayer hung on grimly as Kirara roared and struck out at the encircling demons, then sent her massive weapon scything through the screaming, writhing creatures.
 
Kagome ducked down against Kumo's massive neck as the tenbaryu carved another swathe through the howling demonic horde. Just before they had crested the ridge, Kumo had let out a high-pitched call. Kirara flew right up to them and urgently poked at the saddle with one massive, flame-wrapped black paw while growling. Confused, Kagome didn't know what the neko wanted, but Sango clued in. “Tie yourself onto the saddle with those straps! You don't want to fall off if Kumo has to change directions in a hurry!” Her fingers numb from clutching the reins too tightly, Kagome obeyed, buckling the tough leather over her bare thighs, and wishing for the tenth time in as many minutes, that she was wearing her dragon hide trousers and tunic instead of her skirted cuirass and gauntlets.
 
It turned out that fighting from an aerial weapons platform that could literally turn somersaults was a bigger challenge than she expected. Kagome had somehow assumed Kumo would behave like Kirara, with her long swoops and glides… but the highly-trained tenbaryu was far more gut-wrenchingly agile. Several times, Kagome was sure her stomach was left hanging out on one point of the compass while the rest of her body hurtled towards another. After she fired off those two early shots, she found herself clinging tightly to Kumo's neck, making herself as small as possible on his back as the stallion flung them into the thick of the fight, shielding her face in his mane as she was spattered with blood and fluids while he carved a gory path through their attackers with claws and fangs… and then she was very grateful for the security of the restraints when he pulled another surprise out of his bag of tricks.
 
The brief, narrow burst of flame that erupted from his mouth, as well as the accompanying gust of scorching air along with the stench of brimstone took Kagome completely off-guard, and she nearly dropped her bow in surprise. She did let out a startled yelp when Kumo immediately followed that up by tucking his legs and corkscrewing in a rapid motion… so fast that she didn't lose a single arrow out of her quiver while they were upside down… and as they came upright, the Hiraikotsu whizzed past, and she realized that the tenbaryu had been taking evasive action.
 
Whoo-hoo! I take back every rude thing I've ever said about this critter!
At least someone's having fun…
This is awesome! Gives you a whole new perspective, doesn't it?
A new perspective on how well I can hold onto my dinner…
 
Kohaku frowned at the rapidly decreasing numbers of demons protecting the building even as he keenly studied the riders of the fire-cat and the massive grey horse-like creature, wondering again why both seemed so familiar. His reverie was broken off when he realized that the night air was abruptly clear and still, with only the occasional tail or severed leg twitching where they lay on the ground. I can't defend Rin-chan against three humans and two demons… A small hand tugged his sleeve, and he turned to scoop the little girl up in his arms.
 
“We have to leave this place, Rin-chan. Hold on tight, and I'll protect you.” Rin nodded, gave him a bright smile and fisted her hands tightly into his kosode. With a last glance out the window, he loped across the room and used his scythe to cut through the thin wooden wall. Kicking out the rough exit hole, he ducked through, holding Rin protectively against his chest. Glancing around, he noted the presence of several hell-wasps as well as the serpent-demon coiled around the trunk of a massive conifer, its pale blue eyes gleaming eerily in the darkness.
 
Responding to his urgent gesture, the snake-youkai unwrapped itself fluidly and slithered over. Rin squeaked a little as its massive fanged head briefly hovered close, but then said no more as Kohaku slid them into place on its scaly back, and its leathery scalloped wings unfurled. He shoved his scythe into his belt and held onto the snake with his legs, flattening his hands and using his palms to grip the sleek surface. Rin didn't bury her face in his shoulder, like he expected; instead, the little girl was very interested in the activity around her.
 
Digging his heels into the snake's sides, they were airborne in a moment, gliding rapidly away from the battlefield. He thought he heard his name, almost lost in the wind of their passage…
 
Kagome noticed the stealthy movement behind the building, saw the massive snout of the winged serpent as it appeared above the curving roofline. The Hiraikotsu blurred past, obscuring her view for a split second, and then Kumo executed a violent movement that decapitated a three-headed demon and briefly disoriented his rider as he twisted in mid-air. When they were upright, and she could see past his head as he turned to spit fire at another half-mangled remnant… her heart nearly stopped.
 
RIN!
 
Kohaku jerked at the shrill scream, but the little girl popped her head out from under his chin to peek over his shoulder, and then began waving wildly. “Kagome-sama! Hello!” She enthusiastically hugged Kohaku around the neck. “It's okay, Kohaku-kun! She's my friend!”
 
“I-I'm sorry, Rin-chan… but if I give you to her, I'll be punished…”
 
Rin paused, her dark eyes thoughtful, and then patted his shoulder, nodding agreeably. “Okay, Kohaku-kun. I don't want you to get into trouble over me… maybe I can visit with her later?”
 
“Yes, Rin-chan… maybe later.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Inuyasha tore through the understory, striving to keep just a bit ahead of Sesshomaru, who was pacing him above the tree tops. The taiyoukai had agreed to follow him only because Inuyasha knew Rin's last position with Kohaku, but the hanyou realized that as soon as his brother caught a whiff of the girl's scent, he'd be gone in a flash.
 
I just can't picture the asshole tolerating a human pup.
Maybe he was taking an appetizer to a party?
I strongly doubt that Sesshomaru would eat a human.
Why not? He's full youkai.
He'd say they were too much trouble to clean up first.
Hm… pretty boney, too. Not much meat for the effort.
How the fuck do you know?
Just surmising
Sometimes you really scare me.
Just keeping you on your toes.
Fucking with my mind, more like.
I'd rather be fucking our bitch, actually.
So would I.
Let's find a nice sturdy tree…
With that flying lizard breathing down our necks?
Now that creature would make a decent meal!
Except Kagome would skin us
We just can't win… can't kill your brother, can't kill the lizard
And missed killing Naraku by this much.
We're zero for three. How depressing.
And now we have to keep Sesshomaru from killing Kohaku.
I'm not liking our odds
Me neither.
 
He sensed a flare of youkai from above, and looked up in time to see Sesshomaru disappear into a ball of light. Swearing violently, Inuyasha picked up speed, and pushed himself harder to reach his pack before the taiyoukai did. He knew that Kagome was more than capable of holding off Sesshomaru, but also realized that she would be extremely skittish about protecting Kohaku when the physical scars from her last encounter with the young slayer were barely healed.
 
Inuyasha arrived in time to see Sango furiously trying to clear a path through some severely damaged demonic flesh that was still doing its utmost to impede her. Kagome was also under siege; his jaw dropped when Kumo spun in a circle, his clawed hooves clearing a wide swathe. Miroku crouched on the ground, his prayer beads half off as he sought for an opening to unleash the Vortex without endangering either of the aerial combatants. Sesshomaru was nowhere in sight, and Inuyasha understood that Kohaku had left the vicinity… and was therefore in grave danger.
 
“Kumo! Get your scaly ass over here!” The tenbaryu's head twisted towards Inuyasha as he kicked out at a pair of over-sized reptilian heads snapping at his hindquarters, and then he streaked towards the hanyou. Kagome looked distinctly wild-eyed as he leapt onto the stallion's broad back and wrapped his arms around her armoured waist. “Which direction did Kohaku and his hostage go?”
 
“A huge snake-demon took them that way!” She pointed, and he cursed, knowing it was in the same direction that Sesshomaru had vanished. “Oi! Sango! Miroku! Catch up as quickly as you can… Kirara! Cover us!” As the slayer turned to look at them, her anguish plainly visible in the moonlight, he raised a clawed hand in salute. “We'll save him, Sango… I promise!” To Kagome he whispered, “Get this lizard moving in the direction of the Jewel shard… Sesshomaru is out for Naraku's blood, but Kohaku will probably do just as well.”
 
“S-sesshomaru?” Kagome felt suddenly faint, and it wasn't from the after-effects of riding the demonic equivalent of a roller coaster all night. This is it… the `crucial conversation'… shit, I'm not ready! “C'mon, Kumo… let's fly!” The stallion bunched his powerful hindquarters and launched them vertically into the night sky. Kagome glanced downwards, watching their friends rapidly dwindle to the size of toys before Kumo levelled out and surged forwards.
 
Inuyasha adjusted his grip, wrapping his sleeves around her to protect her bare arms and thighs from the cool night wind, curving his body around her so that he could rest his chin on her shoulder right beside her ear. His nose wrinkled; he could detect several different blood traces on her, and none of them exactly smelled like spring sunshine.
 
“Why has Sesshomaru suddenly decided that he wants to help us kill Naraku?” Kagome asked, leaning against the reassuring strength behind her.
 
“Naraku kidnapped a girl-child that belongs to him.”
 
“I saw her with Kohaku… her name is Rin.”
 
“Yeah? How do you know?”
 
“I met her when she brought food for Sesshomaru after you `Wind Scar'-red him.”
 
“Keh. I will never understand that fucker. He hates me for my human blood, but he's become attached to a human child.” Inuyasha shook his head, then continued his story. “Naraku dropped his barrier just enough to allow his foul stench to leak through; that's why I picked up the scent as well. I think he was planning to absorb Sesshomaru; the prissy asshole was covered in Naraku's tentacles by the time I got there.”
 
Kagome shuddered at the thought of being encased in anything remotely connected to the dark hanyou. “Eeyew… being groped by Naraku alone will put Sesshomaru in a lovely mood…”
 
“Keh. Fucking idiot interfered with my `Wind Scar'… dammit all, Kagome… I had Naraku in the palm of my hand… and that arrogant asshole stepped in my way. Naraku was in pieces, but he turned into smoke and escaped.” The hanyou growled in frustration.
 
“Do you think Sesshomaru will take out his anger on Kohaku?”
 
“He was so pissed, he nearly transformed on the spot. Kohaku's chances of survival are pretty slim… unless we get there first.”
 
“If Sesshomaru kills Kohaku…”
 
“Then Sango will want revenge against Sesshomaru… and as her alpha, I'll have to take on the challenge, since she won't stand a chance.”
 
“I think I've said it before, but I really, really hate Naraku.”
 
Inuyasha jabbed his heels lightly into Kumo's flanks. “Put some effort into it, ya overfed reptile… I'd rather not scrap with my charming brother if I can help it.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Where are we going, Kohaku-kun? It's really hard to see…” Rin stumbled again in the tall grass; she was kept upright by the firm grip the teen had on her hand. He seemed to be leading her deeper into the forest cover, away from the moonlight, which wasn't helping her thoroughly stubbed toes from finding any relief. The winged serpent-youkai had deposited them in a small meadow before twisting back up into the night sky, apparently responding to some unheard-summons. The little girl sighed, then let out a small cry when her bruised foot encountered yet another hidden rock, and she fell heavily into Kohaku's side.
 
Instead of picking her up, the youth suddenly went very still and rigid. The Jewel shard throbbed in his back, and like a light being blown out, all his current thoughts drained away and were replaced by a single command.
 
Kill the girl.
 
Rin was about to renew her complaints, when Kohaku slowly pivoted towards her, and she could see the strange, flat light burning behind his eyes. Her innate survival instinct kicked in, and she tried to pull her hand free. Partially succeeding, she lost her balance again and fell. Something just missed her head, clipping several strands of hair from her dark bangs, and she rolled when she hit the ground. Scuttling away on all fours, she looked back to see Kohaku watching her, his scythe swinging gently from one hand, the chain coiled in the other.
 
Those cold, dead eyes intent, he began slowly stalking forwards, almost encouraging her to run. Rin didn't understand what had happened to her gentle protector, but she knew enough to put some distance between them as rapidly as possible. Stumbling to her feet, she took to her heels and ran… but a small six-year-old human girl didn't stand a chance against a trained killer.
 
As she tripped over stones, trying to glance over her shoulder at the same time, her wildly blowing hair blinded her and she didn't see the glittering metal chain reaching for her legs. A moment after that, the weighted end wrapped around her knees and yanked her brutally to the ground. Rin's frightened cry was broken off when her head smashed against a rock, and she lay silent.
 
Kohaku moved towards her, coiling the chain neatly. When he reached the small crumpled figure, he knelt beside her and gently turned her over. A massive, purpling bruise graced her forehead, and he contemplated it for a moment, judging whether it had been enough to kill her. Deciding in the negative, he raised his weapon… and a strong wave of youkai rushed in on him like an ocean wave.
 
Kill the girl.
 
He gritted his teeth as the shard pulsed insistently in his flesh, but instead of driving the scythe into the girl's helpless form, he sprang to his feet instead and turned to face the demon.
 
A tall, white-clad figure glowered at him from very close range. Kohaku narrowed his eyes. The aura that this creature emitted was even stronger than his master's and it was audibly crackling with anger. An independent thought crept into his mind and refused to leave. Must protect… He crouched in a battle stance, his weapon at the ready, but was unprepared for the demon's scorn.
 
“You think to challenge me? How amusing. Step away from the girl.”
 
Kohaku thrust the darkness aside for a moment, and charged at the youkai… but his jaw met a fist instead of his blade meeting flesh. The impact snapped his head back and flung him across the meadow, where he landed hard on his back. A confused jumble of voices shouted through the ringing in his ears as he slowly raised his head.
 
A large grey horse-like creature was curled protectively around a dark-haired woman as she tenderly lifted the little girl into her arms. A red-clad, silver-haired youkai was arguing loudly and profanely with the pale demon who had confronted him. Kohaku slowly rose to his feet and focussed again on the tall interloper.
 
“Dammit, Sesshomaru! Kohaku is under Naraku's control… he isn't acting of his own free will! He's Sango's brother, and I promised to save him from the fucker!” Inuyasha was desperate to convince his brother of Kohaku's innocence, but he had to admit it wasn't going to be easy when they'd arrived to witness the teen brandishing his weapon over the too-still child. Sesshomaru's icy gaze briefly left him to shoot daggers at something behind his shoulder.
 
“The whelp does not recognize you as his saviour. He is determined to seek his death at my hands.”
 
The hanyou spun around, only to see Kohaku begin to whirl his scythe on its chain. He glanced quickly over at Kagome and noted Kumo crouching over the pair, long tail lashing and red eyes focussed on the youth, his muzzle wreathed in pale smoke. Highly aware of a blisteringly angry taiyoukai being presented with the tempting target of his exposed back, he tore Tetsusaiga out of its sheath as Kohaku's weapon reached maximum velocity and snaked towards its target.
 
The echoing clang of slayer-forged bone ricocheting off demon-forged fang made Kagome's teeth hurt, and the unconscious Rin flinch. Kohaku's scythe slammed to the ground not three feet from the girls; Kumo hissed violently and kicked it away into the grass. Kagome looked up at Inuyasha's oath, and gasped.
 
Sesshomaru held Kohaku by the throat; the youth's toes dangled several inches off the ground, but he did not struggle. The taiyoukai glanced over his shoulder at Inuyasha. “Your concern for me is touching, little brother, but that does not change the fact that this scum threatened what is mine. His life is forfeit.”
 
The hanyou's ears twitched as he listened to Kohaku's breathing become steadily more laboured while considering the startling fact that Sesshomaru referred to the child as `his'. “Kohaku injured Kagome, but because he is kin to my pack, I let him live. Naraku holds his soul through the Shikon Jewel shard in his back… kill him now, and you are only playing Naraku's game.”
 
“Explain.”
 
“If you kill Kohaku, then Inuyasha is honour-bound to challenge you on Sango's behalf, Sesshomaru.” Kagome kept her voice deliberately soft, forcing the taiyoukai to listen intently. “Naraku wishes to pit you against each other because he fears the two of you beyond all others.”
 
Sesshomaru contemplated Rin's fluttering heartbeat for a moment before examining the human whelp whose throat he was squeezing, who gazed back at him with eyes devoid of any fear or pain… or any emotion, for that matter. Narrowing his own eyes, Sesshomaru made a decision, and tossed Kohaku aside. Inuyasha grunted in surprise, then dove in between the youth and the girls, his sword at the ready in case Kohaku tried another strike at Rin.
 
The teen rolled up onto his feet, showing no effects of being nearly throttled, snatched at the chain gleaming in the dry grass, and retrieved his weapon with a sharp tug. However, instead of readying himself for attack, he turned and raced for the trees. A wild gust of wind tore through the clearing, whipping hair, clothing and fur, and when it cleared, a white feather floated just above the treetops.
 
Sesshomaru gazed upwards as his prey was carried out of immediate reach, and then turned his attention to reclaiming his ward. His eyes flashed red, and he began to growl. Hackles up, he slowly stalked towards a puzzled Inuyasha, who reacted to his brother's aggressive attitude by raising the Tetsusaiga.
 
Kagome peered around Inuyasha's leg, wondering at Sesshomaru's threatening stance, and acting on a hunch, she grabbed a handful of fire-rat. “You're between him and his injured pack member… quickly, get out of the way, or he'll attack you.” Inuyasha hesitated, then noticed that the taiyoukai's claws were glowing faintly green. Lowering his sword, he took a step to the side and then back, and was rewarded by the ominous glow vanishing completely.
 
Sesshomaru halted his advance only an arm's length away from the seated girl, who looked up at him with apparently fearless silver-sparked eyes. He was aware of his brother's concern at his close proximity, evidenced by how the Tetsusaiga kept jiggling forward as if to interpose itself between him and Kagome. Fool. The miko's barrier is certainly enough to repel me… and she permits my presence.
 
Ideas whirled through Kagome's mind to start the conversation, backlit by the thought that maybe a barrier wouldn't be such a bad idea with a pissed-off Sesshomaru in the vicinity, but she couldn't grasp a single coherent statement. Instead, she decided to rely on some familiar comfort to settle her nerves. “Inuyasha, please…?” She patted the ground next to her.
 
“No fucking way I'll submit to him.” The hanyou's tone was low and dangerous.
 
“Who said anything about `submission'…?” Kagome blinked. She thought she saw Sesshomaru roll his eyes, but it may have only been a trick of the light.
 
“If I sit down first, then I'm acknowledging his higher status.”
 
She sighed. “He is your elder brother, and Lord of the Western Lands… are you thinking of challenging his position?”
 
“Fuck no! Why the hell would I do that?”
 
“Then plant it right here.” The hanyou grumbled, edged over until he was just behind her shoulder, and slowly lowered himself to the ground. The other demonic creature in the immediate vicinity remained standing; Kumo hovered over his chosen mistress, his red eyes never leaving the taiyoukai's face and his breath disturbingly hellish.
 
Sesshomaru surveyed the group in front of him, waited a few seconds to thoroughly impress his grandeur upon them, then gracefully seated himself… so close that the silk of his hakama brushed over Kagome's knees. He inwardly smirked at Inuyasha's growl, but externally gave no sign that this physical intimacy was anything other than completely normal. He locked gazes with the miko for another few moments, more to see what she would do than anything else, and was smugly pleased when she dropped her eyes while noting that she bit her lip nervously.
 
There was a long pregnant pause and then Kagome grabbed an opening gambit out of the wild tangle in her mind. “Do you now understand why Naraku must be destroyed? He will take everything away from us unless he is stopped.”
 
“Keh. If you hadn't stepped in the way, Tetsusaiga would have finished it. Another `Wind Scar', and…”
 
“You deferred to your elder.”
 
“You might be my `elder', but I have the longer claim on that bastard's life. He's the reason why I was pinned to that fucking tree for fifty years, and why Kikyo died.” Inuyasha laid the Tetsusaiga across his knees and shoved his hands into his sleeves, glaring at his brother. He knew damn well that Sesshomaru was engaging in petty intimidation tactics by sitting so close to Kagome… and while he respected the fact that they needed the arrogant bastard to destroy Naraku, he'd be damned if he let him get the upper hand.
 
“Naraku wiped out Sango's family and uses her brother as leverage; Miroku's grandfather was cursed by him with the Vortex. He's targeted me several times. We all have reasons to defeat him… will you join us, Sesshomaru?” Kagome could have kicked herself for the pleading tone that crept into her voice, but she couldn't help it.
 
Sesshomaru regarded her stonily until she blushed. “Naraku has threatened the House of the West.”
 
Hope sparked, and she bit her lip again. “Then you will…?” She trailed off at the cool look in the taiyoukai's eye, but then he relented.
 
“I will assist you as I see fit.”
 
Kagome bowed her head. “Thank you, sir,” she breathed.
 
While the august personage snorted at the sudden application of the honorary title, the hanyou couldn't restrain himself any longer. “Next time we face the bastard, no grabs for glory… got that?” All he received was an arched eyebrow and a too-innocent expression. Kagome laid her hand on Inuyasha's knee and squeezed in warning, causing him to bite off the sharp comment he was about to spit out.
 
“I think Rin might have a concussion,” she said, by way of changing the subject. She brushed the girl's bangs off her forehead to display the ugly mark. “It looks like she hit her head fairly hard.”
 
“Give her to me.” Sesshomaru imperiously held out his arm, and Kagome carefully rose onto her knees to lean towards him. Inuyasha grabbed her around the waist to steady her. As she shifted Rin's limp form into the crook of the taiyoukai's arm, his clawed hand brushed Kagome's gauntlet… and a sensation akin to an electrical shock raced through her body, and from Inuyasha's startled yelp, he felt it, too. At that moment, all three `fangs' began rattling wildly in their scabbards before emitting distinctive howls.
 
Kagome froze in place, until Sesshomaru broke contact by dropping his hand. All she could hear was his breathing and her thundering heartbeat. She raised wide, startled eyes to his face, and saw total incomprehension there, which rapidly changed to sharp curiosity. Oh, shit… he's going to ask some hard questionsway to go, fang-boys, announcing your kinship like this!
 
When my relatives say `hello', it's only polite to respond, Nixie.
You're not the one in line for some `friendly' questioning, Fenik!
 
Inuyasha swore lightly and pulled her backwards, since she was in imminent danger of toppling into the taiyoukai's lap. “What the fuck was that?” he demanded, laying the Tetsusaiga aside and heaving the unresponsive girl into his own embrace.
 
“The swords acknowledge each other.” Sesshomaru's tone contained a touch of wonder.
 
The hanyou snorted. “The old man used to pack both of them on his hip; of course they know each other.” Sesshomaru gave him a glare that clearly implied his idiocy before turning his keen yellow eyes onto Kagome, who swallowed hard and tried not to panic. Can he tell if I'm lying? Damn, damned, damnable!
 
“How is it that your sword also speaks?”
 
Her mouth went dry, and she avoided the direct untruth. “It was a gift to me from the emperor…”
 
“Ah… the emperor that has gained access to demonic weaponry.”
 
As Kagome wilted under his intense glower, Inuyasha came to her rescue. “No shit it's demon-forged, but we don't know where it comes from. It protects her, and that's all I care about.”
 
“Hm.” Sesshomaru observed the girl's uncharacteristic subdued demeanour, and decided that he could always bring up the subject another day, since they were now cozy allies. His attention was caught by the excited trill Kumo suddenly emitted. The stallion was intently scenting the air, and gave another chirpy little call. “Where is Kumo's muzzle-guard?”
 
Kagome, who had glanced up to see what the tenbaryu was excited about as well as to avoid Sesshomaru's caustic gaze, quickly replied, “At the village; he hasn't worn it since the day you loaned him to us.”
 
“Hm. Why is he here, when the reason given for his absence was that he must guard his mate?” There was no mistaking the chilly edge.
 
“He and Okibi decided that she would stay to guard his mate while he protects Kagome,” Inuyasha replied frostily, hackles up at the insinuation that they had lied about the situation. Kumo shot the taiyoukai a sharp look, then reached down to lip Inuyasha's ear before briefly resting his chin on Kagome's shoulder. Sesshomaru didn't bother to repress the smirk at the grimace that crossed his brother's face as the hanyou wiped off the dampened appendage.
 
A moment later, there was a definite `thump' as something large and heavy landed in the moonlit meadow, and a litany of complaints as something considerably smaller hit the ground a moment later. Ah-Uh shook his manes, stepped daintily around the grumbling toad-imp, who had yet to notice the questionable company his lord was keeping, and greeted Kumo with a vigorous head-butt. The tenbaryu then stretched one head to sniff inquisitively at Rin while the other one whiffled Kagome. She tried not to flinch as the metal muzzle scraped lightly along her scarred bicep; Inuyasha flicked the grillwork with his claw. The head recoiled and then cocked on one side to peer at him.
 
Kumo chirruped something, and then the three heads engaged in a rapid-fire conversation that left their audience blinking, until both creatures swung around to regard Jaken, who had gone from grumbling to gobsmacked to furious within the space a three seconds.
 
“You! How dare you! You… you pathetic wench and uncouth hanyou! Keep your distance from my lord's person!” As the imp raised the Staff of Two Heads, Inuyasha cursed and reached for the Tetsusaiga. Sesshomaru arched a fine eyebrow but did not overtly react, being fairly sure of what was about to happen.
 
Kumo bared his fangs at the toad-imp, inhaled, and then blasted a short, narrow jet of flame that singed Jaken's cap and sent him staggering backwards. Ah-Un grunted and interposed his bulk between the spluttering imp and the seated spectators, then rumbled in a threatening manner when the sooty green youkai lurched forward with a wild gleam in his bulbous yellow eyes.
 
“Jaken, you will respect our allies.” Kagome nearly giggled at the first stunned then utterly horrified look that crossed the imp's countenance at Sesshomaru's bombshell, but the expected torrent of complaint was cut off when Rin moaned softly. All attention was immediately diverted to the small girl cradled against the taiyoukai's chest. Kagome scooted right up to his side, leaning into his folded legs while she gently stroked Rin's cheek. Inuyasha watched intently, cautious about his brother's intentions even though Sesshomaru's one arm was occupied with holding the child and therefore unable to grip a sword or throw an energy whip.
 
Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed slightly at Kagome's forward behaviour, but he permitted her to touch his ward. I suppose I must learn to tolerate the miko's presence… and that of my idiot brother… what in all the hells have I committed myself to? He noted Inuyasha's tension, and then his eyes flicked among the three hilts, all now innocently quiescent. I must find out why her sword also spoke… later. Watching the tender way that Kagome caressed Rin's face, he exhaled and relaxed his shoulders. These two whelps will never destroy Naraku without me, so I am, as usual, the most important part of the equation.
 
“She's regaining consciousness.” He glanced down quickly at the miko's quiet warning, and forgot himself for a moment, smiling tenderly at the dazed child. Rin's great dark eyes blinked slowly several times, until she focussed on his face.
 
“Sesshomaru-sama…” she sighed, smiling contentedly. “I knew you'd come for me.” He gently squeezed her in answer, and Rin beamed softly up at him before turning her unsteady gaze on the hovering dark-haired girl. “Kagome-sama…? I'm so glad to see you again.”
 
“Hello, Rin-chan. How are you feeling?”
 
The little girl's face scrunched up. “My head hurts…”
 
“You have a nasty bruise; you must have hit your head really hard.”
 
“I did… oh! Kohaku-kun…?” Rin tried to sit up, to look around for the dark-eyed youth, but a light growl from Sesshomaru kept her in place. She held still and waited for an answer, conscious of his claws flexing against her leg in an agitated manner.
 
“Kohaku-kun is gone, Rin-chan. He… ran away before we could stop him.” Kagome bit her lip and averted her gaze, not sure of what else to say.
 
“He didn't hurt you, though… did he, pup? Besides the conk on your head, that is.” Rin squirmed in Sesshomaru's arm and tried to peek around Kagome. The girl shifted aside, and Rin's mouth dropped open at the sight of the owner of the voice.
 
“You… look like Sesshomaru-sama's honoured father!” She twisted her head around to look up at her guardian's suddenly-impassive face, and then back at the silver-haired, golden-eyed, blue-striped personage smirking toothily at her. The brightest, sunniest smile the hanyou had ever seen suddenly blazoned the little girl's face. “You must be Inuyasha-sama!”
 
“How do you know this, Rin?” There was no mistaking the surprise in Sesshomaru's voice.
 
“Momiji-san told me; she has an ink painting of the Inutaisho in her room, and she said that your brother has long hair like you, and eyes darker than yours and blue stripes and dog ears! Inuyasha-sama… is Kagome-sama your ward? Are you her guardian? Like Sesshomaru-sama is my guardian?”
 
The hanyou grinned and pulled the blushing girl back against his side. “I am Kagome's mate, pup.”
 
“Oh! Do you have pups of your own yet?”
 
Kagome turned even pinker while Inuyasha chuckled. “Keh! None of our own, but we do have a kitsune we look after.”
 
Rin's eyes grew large and round. “Really? But he's a fox, and you're a dog!”
 
“We are also friends with a neko-youkai, and a tenbaryu has come to live with us.” Kagome had recovered enough to smile at the inquisitive child. Rin beamed back, and then in spite of the head injury, which should have addled her for a few hours at the least, determinedly wriggled out of Sesshomaru's embrace, ignoring his warning growl. She slid down his lap to land a little clumsily on her feet, and his hand was instantly steadying her. Inuyasha had instinctively reached for her as well, and there was a moment of complete stillness as the two brothers' eyes locked over the child's dark head.
 
Rin broke the stasis by wobbling forward, away from Sesshomaru's restraining hand and into Inuyasha's arms. She rested her small hands on his shoulders and gazed up into his amber eyes. Studying him intently, she broke out into a brilliant smile and Kagome noted that her missing tooth had grown in. “You are a kind person, Inuyasha-sama, just like Sesshomaru-sama and Kagome-sama. I'm glad to have met you.”
 
The hanyou nearly snorted at the statement that his brother was `kind', but stopped himself. He noted the little girl's eyes straying to the top of his head, and smirked. Waggling his ears, he watched her fingers start to twitch and move dreamily upward. “Wanna touch `em, pup?” She jumped at his question, and then nodded eagerly. He inclined his head, allowing tiny fingers to carefully pet the soft fur. Out of the corner of his eye, he watched Kagome smile gently at the taiyoukai… and he nearly fell over when Sesshomaru inclined his head in return.
 
Maybe… just maybe… we can work with the asshole…
This child has changed him somehow.
Maybe we're more alike than we think.
Good taste in women
Huh? Don't be disgusting! Rin's just a pup!
Pups grow up quickly, especially human ones.
You're not serious…
He seems to be.
No fuckin' way. He'd never mate a human!
Shall we place a wager?
What kind? You don't exactly have any coinage to throw around.
The kind of wager that gives great personal satisfaction to the winner.
I don't follow.
The right to say `I told you so' for the next few hundred years.
Forget it. You'd drive me insane.
And I don't already? Must be losing my touch…
 
Rin left off fondling his ears, and wrapped her arms around the surprised hanyou's neck in a tight hug. Watching his brother's face carefully for signs of disapproval, Inuyasha brought up one arm to gently press the little girl to his chest. Sesshomaru's expression remained remote, but his eyes seemed to soften a bit. Rin let go of Inuyasha and switched her affectionate attention to Kagome, who used both arms to clasp her close, then guided her back to Sesshomaru.
 
The taiyoukai opened his arm to her, and Rin snuggled back into the white pelt, smiling happily. “Sesshomaru-sama? Can Inuyasha-sama and Kagome-sama come live at the fortress with us?” Her innocent question froze all the adults, until a loud derisive snort reminded them that Jaken was still sulking on the other side of Ah-Un.
 
“Don't be foolish, you ridiculous child. There is no place for hanyous or huma…”
 
Jaken.”
 
The toad-imp `ulped' and fell silent at the deadly tone infusing that single word. Kagome stepped into the breach.
 
“We live with our friends…and family in the village of Edo, Rin-chan. Maybe you could come visit us there sometime if Sesshomaru-sama permits it.” Kagome hoped the taiyoukai missed the hesitation. My family is in Edo… just five hundred years in the future!
 
“Is that the village where Ieji-kun and Ita-kun danced for their dinner?” Kagome choked while Inuyasha coughed sharply. Casting a cautious glance at Sesshomaru, who appeared rather interested in this tidbit of information, she nodded. Rin looked pleased. “They are popular with the ladies at the fortress because they are good dancers.” She shot Inuyasha a puzzled look when the hanyou sniggered.
 
Kagome jabbed him in the ribs. “Uh… they impressed the ladies of Edo as well.”
 
“Oh, good. I can't wait to tell Momiji-san!”
 
Sesshomaru interrupted this pleasant exchange with an uncomfortably direct question. “Miko, how do you serve the emperor if he is in Kyoto and you are not?”
 
Kagome stiffened, thought rapidly, and stated, “I am stationed in Edo to be near my family.”
 
The taiyoukai arched an eyebrow, but asked no more. “It is time to depart.” Without further ado or ceremony, Sesshomaru stood up… no mean feat when one cannot use one's only arm to push oneself upright because that arm is currently restraining a rather lively young lady who was certainly none the worse for wear despite her stressful night, but the taiyoukai managed quite gracefully. Inuyasha leapt to his feet, pulling Kagome up with him
 
Jaken gave the couple a very hairy eyeball but said nothing; his round green head was thoroughly streaked with black, lending him a rather scruffy appearance. Sesshomaru swept past his disgruntled retainer and mounted Ah-Un. As he took up the reins, and the toad-imp scrambled hastily up the tenbaryu's leg to seat himself with as much dignity as he could muster on the back of the saddle, Rin poked her head around the taiyoukai's arm and waved. “Goodbye, Kagome-sama and Inuyasha-sama! I hope I'll see you again soon!”
 
Ah-Un and Kumo exchanged a couple of short whistling calls, and the great twin-headed beast turned to lumber across the meadow. Sesshomaru reined him in briefly, and gave the girl and the hanyou a long, searching look. “Our truce remains in effect until after Naraku's demise. Agreed?”
 
Kagome raised her hand in acknowledgement. “Agreed.” He very slightly inclined his head in return, and then the tenbaryu was airborne in the pearly pre-dawn light of another summer day. The girl and the hanyou watched until it was a mere dot in the sky before looking at each other.
 
“Keh. That had to be the weirdest night we've ever had.”
 
“I'll say. However, we finally have an agreement with your brother…”
 
“Agreement? You mean a truce.”
 
“He agreed to help us against Naraku…”
 
“As he sees fit, wench. That means he'll show up if he feels like it, not necessarily if we need him.”
 
Kagome linked arms with her hanyou, enjoying the feeling of relief washing through her… and her utter bone-weariness from being up all night. “He spared Kohaku-kun's life, and Naraku will regret that he ever thought to target Rin. Sesshomaru will help us… I'm sure of it.”
 
“Wench, are you sure you didn't take a knock on the head?” Inuyasha lightly rapped her skull with his knuckles, then caught her hand when she swiped at him. Using it as leverage, he trapped her against him in a full-body hug. “I'm glad you're all right, koishii. I hate to admit it, but brimstone-breath here did a good job protecting you.”
 
Kagome nestled in under his chin and yawned sleepily. “Kumo makes a fighter-jet look clumsy; now I just need some proper training so I can do his abilities justice… I guess we should find out where Sango and Miroku disappeared to; I figured they would have caught up with us by now.” Shit… and I have to talk to her about Kohaku
 
“Keh. We covered quite a bit of distance at top speed; Kirara just can't keep up. If we head back towards that ridge… or was it that one…?” Inuyasha shaded his eyes and squinted into the distance. “Damn… Kumo covered one hell of a lot of ground. I want to go back and check out the castle Naraku was using. Maybe we'll find a clue to his new hideout.”
 
“Okay…” Kagome yawned again. “Can we nap first, after we find Sango and Miroku?”
 
“I have too much to think about, wench. You can sleep on Kumo's back.”
 
She gave him a sharp look. “Aren't you riding with us?”
 
He rolled his eyes. “Of course, wench. Can't have you falling off, now that the Lord of the Assholes has decided he likes you.”
 
Kagome stumbled a little. Crap… now that we're allies… Sesshomaru will be in a position to question me... “He's going to ask about Fenik.” She didn't realize that she spoke the last sentence aloud.
 
The hanyou stilled her with the serious look in his eyes. “I have a few questions about that sword, Kagome, but they'll have to wait until this is all over. Sesshomaru will just have to suck it up, too. C'mon… let's go find the others.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж