InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Clipped ( Chapter 64 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. All characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan Publishing, and VIZ is in the dog-pile somewhere, too.
 
A/N: New promotion in Real Life job flattened all the plot bunnies into small, limp furry pancakes while I climbed a steep learning curve. Coarse language and mild lemon alert (about a third of the way through).
 
The hairball-o-doom isn't my favourite piece of Naraku (er… just never you mind as to which bit is), but at least we get to finally meet Ayame, who is, by the way, an anime-only character.
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 64: Clipped
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
Later that same morning
 
As it turned out, Sango and Miroku hadn't followed Inuyasha and Kagome on their hell-bent-for-leather flight over the landscape in search of Kohaku. Kagome woke up enough from her cramped doze in the crook of Inuyasha's arm to wearily crane her neck and scan the ground surrounding the crumbling monastery.
 
“Miroku must have used the Vortex to do a little clean-up,” she yawned, and tried to find a comfortable angle to resume her snooze.
 
“They sure as hell ain't here, and they couldn't have gone to Naraku's castle because they wouldn't know the way… do you think they went back to our original campsite?” Inuyasha mused, as Kumo circled the monastery building, riding the warm summer dawn's air currents. Only the torn-up grass gave any sign that a bloody battle had been recently fought on this serene hillside.
 
“Pro'bly… we did leave all our gear there when we took off…” Kagome rubbed her cheek against his fire-rat before sighing heavily. “I might as well give up trying to sleep until we find them…”
 
“We'll have to follow our noses.” Kumo's ears flickered backward, and the stallion brightly chirped before peeling off from his lazy circuit to soar on a new tangent. Inuyasha checked the terrain, but had to admit he had been in such a rush to follow Naraku's scent that he hadn't taken too much note of his surroundings. He raised his head and took several deep sniffs of the fresh morning air; Kumo trilled in response to the sound and slightly angled their direction.
 
Inuyasha arched his eyebrow, and wondered what the creature was thinking. Instead of pondering that mystery of the unknown, he turned his attention to Kagome. The dark-haired girl's eyes were thoughtful; she seemed to be looking very far away as she worried her lip with her teeth. “You've never had a problem dropping off to sleep before, wench. What's on your mind?”
 
She started slightly, then smiled wryly up at him. “I have to ask Sango a very difficult question, and I'm trying to figure out how to word it.”
 
“What sort of question?”
 
“What if we failed somehow, and had to… kill Kohaku?”
 
“Shit, wench… that's an ugly one.” Inuyasha sucked his fangs thoughtfully. “We've promised to save him, no matter what. His best chance of dying before last night was when he injured you, but we managed. So long as we can disarm him or disrupt his orders, we'll be all right.”
 
“Inuyasha, I don't know if I can…” Her hand unconsciously went to her scarred bicep and rubbed fretfully; the hanyou noted her reaction.
 
“He'll never touch you again, Kagome. Sango will kill him herself if it comes to that… and then Naraku wins. Fuck. We'd better have a pack discussion about this.”
 
“Great… I'm tired and have a headache.” Kagome grimaced, and rubbed her temples. Inuyasha bent to press a kiss to her forehead and gave her a comforting squeeze. They were silent for a moment, watching the brightening landscape roll away beneath them. Kumo wasn't extending himself; his pace was rapid but not a head-long rush.
 
As the sun climbed higher over the horizon, the air began to heat as well as the land below, and the stallion began playing in the thermals, using the lift to soar upwards, then gently coast downward until he picked up the next wave. Inuyasha considered reprimanding the creature, but Kumo's utter enjoyment in this simple pleasure was so obvious, he just made sure he had a firm grip on both the saddle and his mate. Besides, it isn't so different from racing through the trees with Kagome on my back.
 
It was not long after and the sun was hot on their faces, when they finally reached the campsite. Inuyasha was impressed that Kumo had brought them back without any direction; the tenbaryu preened at his grudging praise while Kagome removed the saddle and bridle, then clopped off to the nearby river for a drink and a wallow. Their arrival hardly roused the other three occupants of the clearing; Sango and Miroku were indistinguishable in a tumble of black hair and cloth curled against Kirara's side beyond the gently-smoking campfire. The neko-youkai raised heavy-lidded eyes to blearily regard the newcomers, then yawned widely, displaying all her sabre-like teeth before carefully sliding out from under her humans' heads. Transforming to kitten-size, she burrowed under Miroku's arm and went back to sleep.
 
Kirara's movement roused Sango; the slayer lifted her head, revealing the tracks of dried tears on her exhausted face. She stared at them without seeing for a few moments, and then her lips formed a silent appeal… a name.
 
“He's alive.” At Inuyasha's quiet reassurance, Sango gave a relieved smile, then ducked back down to curl beneath Miroku's chin; the monk murmured sleepily and pulled her closer, heedless of Kirara's protest. The fire-cat grumpily extricated herself from her nest in between them and curled up behind Sango's knees instead.
 
Kagome and Inuyasha gazed at them for a few moments, and then the girl slung her quiver next to her pack, stretched her arms up over her head and yawned just as widely as Kirara. “Well, I guess we could follow their example and maybe catch a couple hours of sleep…”
 
“Oi, wench… I have a better idea.”
 
She cocked an eyebrow at him. “You do?”
 
“Come with me… Kumo, you sit tight and keep an eye on those three.” The newly-arrived streaming-wet tenbaryu bunted Inuyasha's elbow and then shook, spraying them with water. Kagome was fairly sure that Kumo sported a fanged smirk at the hanyou's spluttering before he arranged himself on the other side of the smouldering campfire and propped his chin on his bent forelegs.
 
Grumbling, Inuyasha took her by the elbow and ushered her into the undergrowth in the direction of the river. They came out on the sun-warmed mud of the bank; the water moved sluggishly from pool to pool, its force now considerably lessened from its spring flood. It was already rather hot, and the day had essentially just begun.
 
“It's going to be a scorcher today…”
 
“Keh. All the more reason to go for a swim now.”
 
“You have got to be kidding! That river's freezing!” Kagome back-pedalled rapidly, flapping her hands at the hanyou.
 
“There's a pool right here… see? It's shallow, and the sun's been on it. Bet you it's just fine.”
 
“No bets, dog-boy. You go on; I'll stand guard.” Kagome found a tree to lean against, and then was rather disconcerted by the leering grin sent in her direction. After tossing Tetsusaiga to her in an off-handed way, Inuyasha slowly stripped, giving her the full benefit of his lean body spangled with flickering lights thrown by the glimmering water, his hair shining in the sun. The stripey-assed brat… Kagome's throat went dry when he tensed all his muscles, then launched himself in a shallow dive into the river.
 
She tucked his sword under her arm and muttered to herself while he surfaced, slicked his hair back and shook the water from his ears, then rose out of the river to stalk purposefully towards her. Divining his intentions just a moment too late, she squealed rather loudly when he tackled her from behind and shook water all over her. “Ack! Cut it out, dog-boy! Eep!
 
There was a crashing noise, and a moment later, a fiery-eyed Kumo stood glaring at Inuyasha, his nostrils flaring smoke. The hanyou adjusted his hold on Kagome to pull her even tighter as he bared his fangs, snarling at the tenbaryu. Kumo had enough sense to back off rapidly when Inuyasha's aura burst into flame, his body striping darkened, and his eyes flashed red; the stallion turned tail and vanished back into the bushes.
 
Kagome held very still, feeling Inuyasha's ragged breathing hot on her shoulder, his body trembling as he fought to bring himself under control, the muscles cording in his arms and claws digging into her cuirass. “Koibito… what…?” she whispered, bringing her hands up to clasp his forearms and turning her head to nudge his bangs with her nose.
 
“Dammit, Kagome… sorry… but fuck! All I want is some time alone with you, and something always gets in the way…!” His chest heaved against her shoulder blades and he kept his face buried in her skin, trying to calm himself with her scent. Kagome squirmed until he loosened his arms slightly, then dropped Tetsusaiga and turned to press herself against him, wrapping her arms around him, weaving her hands into his wet hair. Inuyasha held her tightly, his nose pressed into the crook of her neck, his heart thundering in his ears so loudly that he almost missed Kagome's whispered request.
 
“Help me out of this…” While she untied her obi and dropped both it and Fenikkusuken to the ground, he had to take deep breaths to stop himself from slicing right through the buckles holding her cuirass closed, and instead fumble carefully with his extra-long claws to release the clips. As he peeled her out of the armour, she finished unclipping her gauntlets and then all three items slipped to the ground. She pulled her bra top off over her head, her hair tumbling over her shoulders. Inuyasha pulled her flush against him and kissed her thoroughly, flattening his hands to run up and down her naked back, his claw tips lightly scratching.
 
Kagome broke the kiss and stepped back slightly, then crouched to unbuckle her boots, very aware of a part of his body that was rather happy to see her and showing few signs of being recently dunked in a cold river. As she stepped out of the boots, she pulled down her bike shorts in a swift motion until they were around her ankles. Inuyasha was rumbling loudly in his chest by this time, and as she straightened, smiling softly at him, he again gathered her close. She let her hands drift to his dark blue hip markings; he quivered, and his erection bumped against her skin.
 
Lifting her slightly to bring her out of her discarded clothing, he carried her into the water, his gaze intent. When her toes grazed the chilly surface, she squeaked and tried to shimmy further up his body, which made him bark with laughter and swing her up into his arms as he waded deeper. “It isn't that cold, wench,” he grinned, widely enough that his cheek stripes crinkled.
 
“Easy for you to say… don't you dare drop me, Inuyasha!” she yelped, when he playfully loosened his grip just for a moment.
 
“What are you, a neko? I'll prove it isn't cold…” He collapsed his legs at that moment and sat them both down in the chest-deep water, holding tightly onto Kagome so that she couldn't squirm loose and bolt for shore.
 
Yikes! It's freezing, you sadist! Lemme go!”
 
“It's all right once you're in… c'mere…” Inuyasha brought up his knees and put as much of his skin in contact with Kagome as possible. She whimpered, her teeth chattering and tried to burrow into his shoulder. Humming deeply, he ran his hands over her, mindful of his claws, which seemed to be taking longer than usual to return to their normal lengths. Kagome was having none of it; she was shivering badly, was very tired and more than a little miserable.
 
“C-can I g-g-g-et out n-n-now?” she gritted through her teeth, and the hanyou responded by tipping her slightly backwards, smirking at how impossibly wide her eyes grew… and how hard her nipples were as her breasts rose out of the water.
 
“Your hair is full of blood and guts; if you don't rinse it, you'll smell just lovely by this afternoon…” Kagome whimpered again, but obediently tilted her head back into the water while hanging onto him for all she was worth. Chuckling, he worked his claws through her tresses and made sure no dried demonic residue remained. “Okay, wench, now comes the fun part.”
 
“F-f-fun-n-n?”
 
“Now I get to warm you back up.” Lifting the shivering girl high on his chest, he stood up and waded out of the river. Stooping for a moment to snag his clothing, he carried her up the bank to the trunk of the tree she had originally been leaning against and dropped his hakama and juban into a pile against the roots. He then plopped down, arranged her in his lap, and wrapped his haori around both of them.
 
Between his warm body, the thick fire-rat and the sun beating down on them, Kagome was warm and drowsy in no time. Sighing, she snuggled under his chin, comforted by the powerful purr rumbling through his chest. When she relaxed completely, the hanyou smiled into her hair and settled into a light doze himself, his ears swivelling ceaselessly.
 
A short while later, Miroku broke out of the undergrowth and nearly stumbled over Inuyasha's outstretched legs. Recovering himself, he noted that the muscular legs in question were comfortably crossed at the ankles and were most certainly not hidden by scarlet fur, then abruptly realized that a low growl was vibrating the air around him. A pair of red-rimmed golden eyes glaring at him over Kagome's dark head gave him pause, not to mention the elevated demonic aura. He hastily waved the empty kettle by way of explaining his presence.
 
“Sango is preparing some rations, and I am bid to fetch water for tea. Will you join us?”
 
“In a bit…” Miroku nodded, continued to the water's edge, filled the kettle and returned the way he'd come, inclining his head to the hanyou on the way by. Inuyasha waited a few more minutes before rousing his sleeping mate. He lightly ran his claw-tips over her ribs; when she wriggled and muttered, he shifted to tickling her hip and the back of her arm.
 
Grrummph… izzit time t'go alr'dy?” she mumbled, rubbing her eyes with the back of her hand. Inuyasha shifted her more upright, steadying her as the fire-rat fell away from her shoulders. She growled something unladylike, and collapsed back against his shoulder. Smirking, he delicately ran his claws over her shoulder and along her collarbone, raising goose bumps and earning him a half-hearted swat.
 
“Houshi and Sango are making breakfast.”
 
“Don' wan' any,” she grumbled into his chest, hunching up her shoulders to keep the nape of her neck away from his questing claw-tips. He dropped his hand down to the small of her back and then danced his fingers back up, making her squirm in his lap in a most delightful way.
 
“We should look for Naraku's castle before the sun gets too much higher.”
 
“Come back and get me…”
 
“Don't think so, wench. Not leaving you behind… ever.” His voice dropped into an even lower register, causing Kagome to finally look up… and the surprise on her face startled him in return.
 
“Inuyasha… your eyes… your markings…” Her hands came up to lightly touch the jagged navy blue stripes blazoning his cheekbones and traced the elongated fang tips overhanging his bottom lip.
 
“What?” he asked, then caught sight of his still-lengthened claws. “Wonder why I haven't settled down yet? Kumo wasn't exactly a threat…”
 
“You fought Naraku again,” she whispered, her thumbs stroking over the stripes, watching the scarlet wisps around his golden irises weave in and out of the bronze-coloured rim. “Last time, your markings became permanent. You must have really let off some steam last night.”
 
“I just used the `Wind Scar'… but I was pretty pissed off when I unleashed it. Guess there was some residual aggression left over when Kumo came to rescue you.”
 
“I wonder what we can do to relax you?” Kagome mused out loud, and then smacked herself in the forehead when he smirked a little too widely. “Besides that… aren't Miroku and Sango waiting for us?”
 
“Keh. Why would I want rice porridge, when I can have you instead?” Inuyasha began winding himself around her, drawing her into his body, kissing his way from her earlobe down her throat to nibble her collarbone. “I haven't been able to touch you for days…”
 
“Is it really safe out here… out in the open?” she asked quietly, twisting to look around them. “I mean, anyone could stumble across us…”
 
“I'll hear them coming...”
 
“Doubt it, since you make quite a bit of noise when you're coming, dog-boy… and you handily took care of my over-protective tenbaryu earlier.” Kagome smirked cheekily at him and arranged herself in such a way that she straddled his thighs, his erection sandwiched between them. Leaning in, she pressed light kisses across his stripes while her fingers worked their way up through his hair and began gently rubbing the bases of his ears. He growled softly and caught her mouth with his own, his lengthened fangs pricking her skin as their tongues slowly twined and stroked.
 
She ground her hips against him as they kissed, her thighs rubbing over his markings, moaning into his mouth when his hands cupped and stroked her breasts. Murmuring a plea for closer contact, his hands cupped her buttocks, lifting her until she was poised just above his very eager flesh. Kagome held onto his shoulders, sighing loudly when he slid inside, then gasping when his hands returned to her waist and held her firmly while he thrust up, hard.
 
Yes, Kagome!” he hissed into her shoulder, holding her in place as he dug in his heels, bracing his back against the tree while pushing his hips upwards. Kagome kissed his forehead and continued rubbing the base of his ears, moving with him as he established a fast, hard rhythm… but it wasn't enough. She slipped one hand down between them and assisted herself, biting back her moans in an effort to not let the entire area know what they were doing.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“What do you suppose is keeping them? Their tea is cooling rapidly…”
 
Miroku smiled softly at Sango, who was poking the fire under the kettle a little too aggressively and glancing about the clearing in an agitated sort of way. Kumo was curled up into as tight a ball as his bulk allowed, with Kirara riding the gentle swells of his breathing from her position on his flank.
 
“They will be along soon, koi. Inuyasha was enjoying having a few moments alone with Kagome; they have had very little time together on this patrol, while we have been spoiled.”
 
“True… but still… I want to find out what happened when they found Kohaku last night…” Her words were cut off by an enthusiastic howl that let them know exactly how much Inuyasha was enjoying being with Kagome, and Sango's cheeks flushed bright pink. “By all the hells…”
 
She was still blushing when Kagome and Inuyasha appeared in the clearing not long after, both rather wet from a recent dunk in the river. Kagome wore Inuyasha's haori and carried her damp-looking armour in one hand with her boots in the other. The hanyou jauntily twirled Tetsusaiga while whistling through his teeth, and Miroku noted with relief that his demonic attributes had returned to their normal state. He then turned his attention to Kagome, and in answer to his significant look directed at her cuirass, she replied, “It was spattered in blood and guts, so I rinsed it out to spare our noses later today.”
 
“Ah… that was quite an aerial show Kumo-sama put on last night…”
 
“I really need some proper training to learn how to fight from his back; he sure isn't like Kirara!” Kagome accepted a bowl of porridge and a mug of tea from Sango, who was determinedly not looking at her. The girl arched her eyebrow, and then blushed herself when she realized why Sango was finding the process of ladling out the porridge so interesting, and why Miroku was extremely serene… except for the mischievous glint in his eye. Damn, damned, damnable… that's the last time we do that within hearing range of anyone we knowdarn inu-youkai and their tendency to broadcast
 
“Oi, slayer… do you want to hear about your kid brother?” Inuyasha's tone was gentle, and after Sango nodded quickly, he rapidly filled her in on what had happened once they had located Kohaku and Rin, including the startling revelation that they were now `officially' allied to Sesshomaru for the duration.
 
“That is a very intriguing development, Inuyasha. Your brother is an exceptionally powerful taiyoukai; with him on our side, I am highly optimistic of our success.” Miroku was positively gleeful, but his expression fell at Inuyasha's glower.
 
“The idiot ain't here, so ya don't need to fawn all over him…”
 
Miroku primly adjusted his robe. “I was not `fawning'; I am merely stating the obvious. With you, Kagome-sama and Sesshomaru-sama, who are three of the most powerful individuals I have ever come across on all my travels, ranged together against our common foe… I do not believe that Naraku stands the proverbial snowflake's chance in the first hell.” Somewhat mollified, the hanyou emitted a soft `keh' and went back to eating.
 
“I'm so relieved that no-one was killed… but you say that the child involved belongs to your brother? Will Sesshomaru now seek Kohaku's life?” Miroku reached to touch Sango's arm as she twisted her apron between her hands.
 
“He understands that Kohaku is not acting of his own free will. However, if the runt attacks him or his… what was the pup's name again, Kagome?” Inuyasha paused between spoonfuls of porridge, turning his head to look inquiringly at his pink-cheeked mate.
 
“Ah… er… her name is Rin. She's a sweet little thing…”
 
“Keh. She must be slightly insane to hang around with my brother, not to mention that irritating toad-thing that follows him around. Anyways, if Naraku tries to use Kohaku to attack Sesshomaru again, I can't guarantee the asshole will hold back.” The hanyou held out his mess tin for another helping, and then downed his tea. “I also can't figure out why he tolerates the little girl in the first place.”
 
“Perhaps she lightens his heart?” Miroku suggested, his fingers attempting to knead the tension out of Sango's shoulders.
 
Inuyasha snorted. “If the bastard even has one, it's news to me!”
 
“Sango… I have to ask you something.” Kagome's serious tone instantly brought all attention to her as she reached for the slayer's tightly-clenched hand. “This is a difficult…”
 
“If the choice is between Kohaku's half-life, or the life of an innocent, then he must be released from his servitude to Naraku.” Sango's calm statement left all of them blinking. “My heart wants him alive, but my head knows that he must not be the instrument of more destruction.” Tears glistened on her lashes. “I hate to play Naraku's game, but if Kohaku is dead, then he has lost his leverage over me… and I'm no longer a threat to the mission.” Miroku wrapped his arms around her shoulders and pulled her into his chest, kissing her hair and murmuring words of comfort.
 
Inuyasha shifted a bit. “Sorry about not being able to hang onto the runt.” The slayer's dark head turned slightly towards him, and he was struck by the solemn expression in her dark eyes.
 
“You protected him from your own brother, as well as preventing him from having more blood on his hands; that is more than enough. Thank you, Inuyasha.” The hanyou grunted in reply, and then helped Kagome gather up the mess tins and mugs to wash them in the river. By the time the couple returned, Sango was dressed in her black uniform and tying up her hair. While Kagome re-packed the saddlebags and tied her armour on top to dry, Inuyasha prodded Kumo's flank with his claw.
 
“Rise and shine, brimstone-breath.” Kumo peeked through his long white eyelashes at the hanyou, then showed off his fangs in a wide yawn before reaching back to gently nudge Kirara with his nose. The fire-cat gave a tongue-curling yawn of her own and elaborately stretched; the tenbaryu winced when she dug in her claws before leaping to the ground.
 
While Kagome saddled and bridled Kumo, Sango readied her weapons and Inuyasha put out the fire, Miroku beckoned the neko-youkai over and fed her some fish from a ration pack. Kirara purred loudly while she licked the meat from his fingers, then gave herself a little shake before hopping into his lap for a brief face-wash. The bemused monk permitted himself to be used as a grooming stand and was rewarded with an affectionate cheek rub before Kirara jumped down, stretched again, and transformed.
 
“Do you think you can find the castle again, Inuyasha?” Sango asked as she shouldered Hiraikotsu and followed Miroku onto Kirara.
 
The hanyou just managed to not feel insulted. “Keh. It'll still stink like Naraku, so it shouldn't be a problem.” He turned to leap up behind Kagome, already mounted on Kumo's broad back, and within a few moments, they were all airborne and heading out into the mid-morning heat.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Not a trace… he has definitely abandoned this castle.” Sango kicked over a few stones in the ruined courtyard, examining the damage caused to the wrecked main pavilion by Inuyasha's `Wind Scar'. “You released a tremendous amount of power with this strike, Inuyasha… what brought it on?”
 
“I saw Sesshomaru covered in tentacles and Naraku mostly in pieces but still gloating… I kind of lost it. I'd just used Red Tetsusaiga to break his outer barrier and was really powered up. The `Wind Scar' tore through his personal shield like it wasn't even there… damn Sesshomaru anyways. I was lining up for another swipe, and he stepped in front of me, claiming Naraku for himself. I shoulda just cut loose and let him get out of the way…”
 
“Glad you didn't, though.” Kagome stooped to examine the glassy surface of an up-turned rock that showed definite signs of being slightly melted by intense heat. “Wonder why the castle is still here? Last time he left the foundations only…”
 
“Since Inuyasha can now destroy Naraku's shields, there is no point in dragging a building hither and yon. Inuyasha? Have you picked up Naraku's scent?” They all looked at the intently sniffing hanyou, who had a queer expression on his face.
 
“No… something just as interesting, though.” He glanced at Kagome, his amber eyes serious. “Kikyo was here.”
 
Kagome's mouth fell open. “The whole time?”
 
“No. Her scent is fresh; she was here sometime after Sesshomaru and I took off after Kohaku.”
 
Miroku rubbed his chin. “Kikyo-sama's presence is difficult to explain. Is she still in league with Naraku in some way?”
 
“We haven't seen her since the battle against Tsubaki....” Sango furrowed her brow. “That's nearly three full moon cycles ago.”
 
“It appears that she is still somehow entwined with Naraku; it is as if karma still draws her to that which once was Onigumo. Let us depart; I suggest an early camp, as we must begin to make our way back to Edo in time for the New Moon in approximately ten days time.” Miroku shook his staff for emphasis, when Kagome let out a cry of dismay.
 
“Dammit! I have to be back sooner than that; it's the New Moon Festival, and I'm expected to spend a couple of days prior at the Academy for training!”
 
“Do you know that for sure?” Sango asked, regarding her Imperial sake-drinking friend with interest.
 
“Yes… Lord Sessaki gave me the invitation the last time I saw him, along with my brother's entrance papers… crap.”
 
“Tough shit if you're late…” Inuyasha began, but shut his fangs with a click when Kagome glared at him.
 
“The Emperor doesn't demand my presence that often, but since he's nice enough to give us anything we need to fight Naraku with no questions asked, I think I'd better make sure my ass is in that fancy kimono when he does want me.”
 
“Keh… let's head out and cover some ground before we camp, then. Don't want to keep the Emperor waiting…” The hanyou gave in fairly gracefully and was rewarded with a brilliant smile, which took away most of the sting.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Dammit… where the hell is that fucker? I finally find Naraku's castle, and the mutt's stench is all over the fucking place.” Koga kicked a small rock on the veranda of the derelict main pavilion, sending it rocketing over the battlements; several members of the pack flattened themselves on the ground. Ginta and Hakkaku jogged over from where they had been cautiously investigating inside the drunkenly-leaning building.
 
“No sign of anything alive. Place is definitely abandoned.”
 
“Ya think?” Koga rolled his eyes and cracked his knuckles. “It's time we tracked down dog-shit and interrogated him.”
 
“Inuyasha? Wh-why?”
 
“Simple, lame-brain. The mutt was obviously here, so he might know where Naraku's fucked off to. Better than chasing our tails all night, and besides, I have a hankering to see Kagome again.”
 
“Er, don't you mean Inuyasha's mate, chief?” Ginta ducked away from Koga's growl.
 
“Doesn't mean I can't remind her of what she's missing.” Koga puffed up his chest and strutted a bit, before taking off in a whirl of dust and fur. The two demons looked at each other and shook their heads, sighing, before following in his wake. The rest of the pack flowed after them, glad to be moving into the forest and out of the heat of the day.
 
The ruined castle gently baked in the sun, the damaged timbers creaking as they settled. Deep inside the lowest level, there was movement… something rustled and groaned, then stilled as rapid footsteps and a voice far above in the light warned it to finish its work in silence…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
A few hours later, on a rocky outcropping a fair distance away, Kagome stiffened and sat up straight, her chopsticks dropping back into her self-heating ration container, her head swivelling. Shikon shards…two… moving fast… oh, shit, and Inuyasha just went to look for water. “Incoming…!”
 
Miroku grabbed for his staff and Sango went for Hiraikotsu just as a demonic aura, accompanied by a whirlwind, blew onto the hillside where they had paused for a mid-afternoon break. The monk visibly relaxed and Sango snorted disdainfully as she replaced the boomerang against the boulder they were perched on.
 
“Ah… Koga-sama... to what do we owe this unexpected…”
 
“Hello, princess! Where's dog-shit?” Koga yelled boisterously as he bounded up the rocks toward Kagome, only to nearly impale himself on a vapour-wrapped Tetsusaiga held by a flaming-eyed hanyou.
 
“What the fuck do you want, wolf-crap? Make it fast and get the hell out of here.”
 
“Nice to see you too, mutt. I wanna know what happened at the castle back there.” He jerked his thumb over his shoulder. “Naraku's stink was everywhere, and so was yours. Did you miss taking him out again?”
 
“You bastard.” Inuyasha ground his fangs, his cheek stripes widening and darkening for the third time in less than twelve hours. “Yeah, I missed him, but only because my stupid fucking brother interfered…”
 
“Your brother…?” Koga arched an eyebrow questioningly.
 
Half-brother.” It came out more snarl than words.
 
“Inuyasha's elder brother is the Lord of the Western Lands,” Kagome chimed in, wanting to see the wolf's reaction more than anything else. She wasn't disappointed.
 
Koga's jaw dropped. “You're related to that asshole Sesshomaru? He annihilated a whole tribe of wolf demons on his border last spring…” The wolf prince stopped as a very unpleasant sneer crossed the hanyou's face.
 
“Neither of us like wolves very much... it's about the only thing we agree on.”
 
Koga took a step back as Inuyasha's aura flared. He cast a quick glance at Kagome, more to see if that silver dog was likely to erupt out of her scabbard than anything else, but the vicious growl that greeted the movement of his eyes caused him to back up another step… just as the rest of his pack arrived on the hillside.
 
“Hello, boys!” Kagome waved cheerfully at the panting wolf demons, and shooting Inuyasha a pointed look, skipped off over the rocks to welcome a rather sweaty Ginta and Hakkaku. The rest of the pack poured into the clearing, and the big light-brown alpha female made a bee-line for Kagome. Inuyasha growled lightly, but Kagome shook her head at him, and crouched to hug the wolf.
 
“How are you? Is Koga looking after you?” she asked, running her hands through the summer fur, but feeling only firm muscles, no bony ribs or other signs of stress. The female whined and licked Kagome under the chin; she gave her a good scratch around the ruff, and the wolf sat down on her haunches, her tongue lolling out in an expression of canine happiness. Other wolves came as close as they dared and sprawled over the warm rocks, until Kagome was sitting in the middle of a heaving brown furry pond, her arm slung around the female's neck.
 
Koga couldn't contain his arrogant smirk. “Look at that, dog-breath… seems your bitch has a real way with my pack…” He barely evaded the swipe of long claws that would have taken out his throat if he was a split-second slower.
 
“She has a soft spot for your wolves, but if you think that translates to any feelings for you, fucker, you're way stupider than I thought,” he hissed, then raised his voice to a commanding bellow. “Oi, Kagome… get the hell out of there! You're making wolf-shit think you'd like to join his pack again.” His words were punctuated by a high-pitched screech overhead, and then Kumo was hovering over Kagome, his breath swirling ominously.
 
“Koga isn't that stupid, Inuyasha,” she retorted, but she did give the female wolf a last hug and then stand up. The pack scattered as Kumo landed; the tenbaryu proceeded to squawk agitatedly at her before snuffling her hands and arms, then shook his massive head and sneezed. She chuckled, and rubbed his broad forehead. “Are you allergic to wolves, too? Doesn't surprise me, actually, considering where you're from…”
 
“Where'd you get that creature, princess?” Koga called, ignoring Inuyasha's angry snarl.
 
Kagome smiled a bit too widely. “From Sesshomaru.”
 
Koga arched his eyebrow. “You're certainly all cozy with this `asshole brother'…”
 
“We are Sesshomaru-sama's allies against Naraku,” Miroku interjected from his seat next to Sango. “To defeat the dark hanyou, we would have tea with the Master of Hell himself.”
 
Kagome began picking her way back up the rocks, Kumo bustling her along from behind, when they were all startled by the appearance of an unfamiliar demonic aura radiating from a white-tinged whirlwind that spun into the clearing, closely followed by a small torrent of white and cream-coloured wolves.
 
The whirlwind resolved itself into an extremely attractive red-haired female demon garbed in a white fur kilt and a glossy black cuirass trimmed in red. She wore white fur greaves and from her shoulders fluttered a white fur capelet; a red-hilted katana rode her left hip and her hair was adorned with purple blossoms.
 
Ayame? Kagome blinked, and almost blurted out the wolf princess' name… but snapped her mouth shut after uttering only a strangled cough. Inuyasha shot a questioning look at her; she merely shrugged and congratulated herself for not opening an extremely large can of worms. Instead, she admired how this younger version of `her' Ayame fairly glowed with her vibrant colouring and her unmistakeable vitality… not to mention an impressive death glare.
 
“Koga! I've been looking everywhere for you! We need to talk!” the newcomer growled, and agilely leapt up the tumbled rocks to land in front of a gob-smacked wolf prince.
 
Inuyasha backed away and sheathed Tetsusaiga, conscious of the fact that the female demon only had eyes for Koga, and retreated to stand by Miroku and Sango's boulder. Kirara perched on Miroku's shoulder, her tails wrapped tightly around his neck, and would have sat on his head if she could, just to get more distance from the wolves. Kagome moved away as well, but retreated down the hill to talk to Hakkaku and Ginta, who were looking rather nervous… and it wasn't entirely because of the ferocious glances that Inuyasha was throwing their way, nor the watchful tenbaryu's hellish breath.
 
“Kagome-sama, are you absolutely sure that you wouldn't rather be our alpha female…?” Hakkaku ventured in a rather quavering voice.
 
Kagome grinned at him. “Yes, I'm absolutely sure, Hakkaku. What's wrong with that wolf demon?”
 
“That's Ayame, princess of the northernmost wolf demon tribe. She has a… reputation, Kagome-sama.” Ginta lowered his voice to the barest whisper.
 
“For what?” Kagome whispered back, now ragingly curious.
 
“The word from her home cave is that she's… difficult.”
 
“People say that about me, you know,” Kagome cautioned. “She's probably the perfect wolf princess… rough, tough, able to handle anything and… maybe a little bit bossy.”
 
Really bossy,” confirmed Ginta nervously.
 
Kagome chuckled and patted his shoulder. “That's exactly what Koga needs; a woman who can tell him what to do and how he should do it. I'm sure her bark is much worse than her bite.” She turned to give Kumo a reassuring scratch, and then the conversation up on the rocks caught her attention.
 
“Koga, you must help us! We need you!” Ayame's voice was strained, and she sounded very unhappy.
 
“Well, er… I, um, don't remember anything about a betrothal sealing the deal…”
 
Koga… how could you? You promised the night you rescued me! The night of the moon's rainbow! You said that once I grew up…”
 
The beleaguered wolf prince scratched his head, obviously trying very hard to recall something that must have happened at least a hundred years before. Chewing his lip and furrowing his brow, Koga dug around in the recesses of his memory banks… and came up blank. “I'm sorry, Ayame. I honestly don't remember…”
 
Her lip quivered, and she hid her startling green eyes beneath her bangs. “I was under attack, and you chased them off. I'd hurt my foot and couldn't run; you carried me on your back, telling me not to worry, and not be so hard on myself because someday I'd be able to handle anything. We stopped to look at the moon; it had a rainbow around it, and you said that… you would marry me when I was old enough. When we reached your tribe's cave, your lady mother looked after me while runners were sent to my grandfather…”
 
A small lightbulb seemed to go off behind Koga's brilliant blue eyes, but before he could say anything, something crashed through the trees and into the clearing, sending wolves and rocks tumbling out of the way.
 
It was a giant ball of rippling black hair, with a wide mouth, no discernable eyes… and it reeked of Naraku. The mouth opened, showing off several rows of sharp yellow teeth and a greenish, glistening tongue that ran slowly over the lips before hissing out, “Shiiikkkooonnn…”
 
That word ignited the gaping frozen tableau into action. Kirara transformed, taking Miroku and Sango airborne; Inuyasha went into a battle stance, trusting Kumo to protect Kagome and her precious shards. “You stay out of the fucking way, wolf-shit… er, not you, wench… This thing stinks like Naraku, and can apparently talk, so let's see what it can tell us…”
 
He lunged forward, and a clump of hair shot out, wrapping around his forearm. Snarling, Inuyasha caught hold of the fibres, threw himself upwards, heaved, and managed to yank the creature off the ground, over his head and slam it bodily onto the rocks below. Ginta and Hakkaku were very impressed, but were careful to mutter their praises out of Koga's hearing.
 
Unfortunately, the spectacular move also brought the demon closer to Kagome. She was still on the ground, Kumo interposed between her and danger, because she'd refused to leave the wolves unprotected. Before she could raise a barrier, a spear of compressed hair shot towards her… but Koga was faster. He leapt over Kumo, snatched up Kagome and vanished in a blur down the hillside.
 
Behind him, Inuyasha's aura flared spectacularly, and a roar of bestial rage sent all the demons in the vicinity scattering. Ayame spun off in the direction Koga had taken, both packs of wolves including Ginta and Hakkaku hot on her heels. Kumo sprang up into the air and circled with Kirara and her passengers, emitting a keening sound of distress, his neck craning after his mistress.
 
“Kumo! Go after Kagome!” The tenbaryu screeched an acknowledgement and arrowed away, leaves spiralling loose behind him. Inuyasha glanced briefly upward to note Kirara's concerned presence, then snarled viciously and began reeling in the hair, heedless of how its greasy strands wrapped around him. He abruptly realized that the hair was lengthening in his hands, when the creature gave a rasping chuckle and the hair he gripped in his claws went limp. The freed demon rolled rapidly away down the hill, veering off to the side and vanishing into the forest.
 
“Shit! Dammit all to the fifth hell!” Kirara dropped down to hover close by… but not too close, because the hanyou's demonic aura was setting her fur on end. Inuyasha cast a fiery eye her way. “Stupid fucking wolf… that thing is after Shikon shards, and by grabbing Kagome, he just gave it a bigger target to home in on. Let's go!” Wrinkling his nose, then trying to breathe through his mouth to avoid some of the inevitable wolf-stink, he left Kirara in his dust.
 
Sango whistled appreciatively at the hanyou's speed which left full-grown trees swaying in his wake. “Inuyasha's youkai gives him impressive abilities…”
 
“Thank Buddha that it is under control; although I do not like Koga-sama's chances of survival for touching Kagome-sama. Hurry, Kirara. The situation may quickly degenerate.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Dammit, wolfling… have I told you recently how much of a fucking idiot you are?” Kagome snapped and tore herself out of the wolf prince's grip. Glaring ferociously at him, she yanked her bow and an arrow out of her quiver, then swung around to put her back against his, straining to sense any sign of pursuit. “If Inuyasha doesn't shred you for touching me, that pretty wolf demon probably will… you should maybe hope that hairball-thing kills you first.”
 
“This is the thanks I get for pulling you out of harm's way? Damn, Kagome… you're so welcome.”
 
“Shut up, Koga. Here it comes…” A crackling pink-violet dome enclosed them; the creature's yellow fangs gleamed weirdly orange as it opened and shut its mouth several times, its black hair coiling and rippling. “It must be incredibly fast, to have beaten even Kumo here… keep that in mind.”
 
ShiiikkkooonnnI will devour both of you and regain my previous form…” Black lengths shot forward, only to burst into flame upon contact with the barrier, and the creature recoiled violently from the sparkling shield.
 
Koga growled before tapping Kagome's shoulder. “Let me out of here, princess. Hiding behind a female, no matter how beautiful or powerful, just ain't my style.”
 
“Let's wait for the others… you stupid, stubborn wolf!” Kagome shouted after him as the barrier vanished just before he would have fried himself. Koga merely smirked and launched at the writhing ball of hair. Grabbing a double handful, he flew upward, dove over a high branch and used the hair as leverage to twist the creature's `face' up so he could land a damaging kick on its mouth, sending several teeth flying.
 
“Where the fuck is Naraku, you sorry excuse for a demon?” The black pile shuddered, then spasmed… and then squirming dark snake-like tendrils flung themselves at Koga, rapidly winding themselves around him until he was as neatly packaged as a sushi roll. The green tongue swiped across the creature's lips, and when it opened its mouth wider, flecks of purplish drool leaked from the corners.
 
“Damn, damned, damnable!” Kagome flamed a bolt and aimed it directly at the creature's mouth, just as great looping twists of hair flew at her… but they never connected. A huge blade slammed into the earth just in front of her, severing the hair and sweeping it away. “Inuya…! Eep!” A red-clad arm caught her around the waist and dragged her upwards. She was deposited on a broad grey back, and for a brief moment, Inuyasha's lips whispered against her cheek.
 
“Stay the fuck out of the way, wench.” Kagome, breathless from the tight hold, could only nod in acknowledgement, and he squeezed her lightly before diving off the tenbaryu's back. He somersaulted in mid-flight, the Tetsusaiga flashing in the sun… and with a blow that carved a sizeable trench in the rocky ground, slashed Koga free of the hair that had been pulling him inexorably towards the slavering mouth. “Lucky you have those shards, fucker, or I'd let this thing eat you.”
 
“Don't turn your back on it…!”
 
Fuck!
 
Spiralling strands lashed out, wound around the hanyou's body until both he and the sword were tightly muffled despite his thrashing attempts to break free. “Foolish dog… you must be leashed. I will have the shards without interference from either you or Naraku…” Two heads, one black and one silver, snapped up at this pronouncement.
 
“What do you mean, `without interference from Naraku'?” Inuyasha snarled, managing to rip Tetsusaiga free… but his arms were so tightly bound that it didn't make much difference.
 
I was once part of his body, but he left me behind when he abandoned the castle… it was difficult giving myself mobility, but with the shards…”
 
Kumo tossed his mane and chirped at Kirara as she and her passengers came abreast of him and Kagome. “What on earth is that thing?” Sango asked, mentally running through her lists of demon types and not coming up with any matches.
 
“It used to be part of Naraku, but he ditched it,” Kagome replied, switching the bolt for an arrow and drawing a bead on the creature in case it tried engulfing both Inuyasha and Koga.
 
“Definitely not an incarnation; aside from Goshinki, Naraku seems to pride himself on creating physically attractive spawn…oof!.” Miroku wondered at the reason behind the punch Sango delivered to his ribs, and then was grateful that the slayer was unable to put any real force behind it due to Hiraikotsu impeding her backswing.
 
“Where is Naraku? Tell me, and your death will be quick instead of long and slow.” Koga stood up, pulling away the loosened hair and strode past an entangled and furious Inuyasha. The drool leaking from the demon's mouth increased to a small flood the closer the wolf prince came.
 
It is useless to search for him…”
 
“Since you don't know anything, then there's no reason to keep you alive, is there?” Koga cracked his knuckles, an evil smirk darkening his countenance.
 
“... since he has escaped to a place where he cannot be touched.”
 
Silence fell in the clearing for a moment, broken only by the soft snarling of assorted epithets.
 
Now, wolf, I will have those shards…” More hair flung itself around Koga, but before he could react, a blast of violet-pink light from above vaporized the creature; the hair went limp and then fell away, both demons kicking free of it.
 
“Thanks, princess! Although I was just fine, it was good of you to rescue the mutt, too…”
 
“Watch your mouth, wolf-crap…”
 
Sango muttered, “Here they go again…” However, just as the two canine demons squared off, the heretofore-missing wolf packs raced into the clearing, led by the white-furred whirlwind.
 
“Koga! Are you all right?” Ayame was in the process of flinging herself into Koga's arms when he deftly side-stepped… and she ended up with a face-full of fire-rat instead of leather cuirass.
 
“Keh. You're cute, but you ain't my type, wench.” As Ayame's face instantly matched her hair, Inuyasha gently shoved her towards a markedly unenthusiastic Koga, and sheathed Tetsusaiga before shading his eyes with his hand to look for Kumo. The tenbaryu touched down a short distance away, and he strode rapidly towards them, intending to jump up behind Kagome and leave. He noted that Kirara remained hovering overhead, highly reluctant to land with all those smelly wolves in the vicinity, and he grinned. My sentiments exactly, cat.
 
However, Kagome forestalled his plan for a quick exit by dismounting and running up to throw her arms around him. Pressing her close, he attempted to pull her back towards Kumo, but she dug in her heels. “Stop, Inuyasha… this may be our best chance to get Koga out of our hair permanently!” she hissed, and that idea was so appealing, he instantly obeyed, letting her go and turning around so that they were both watching the interplay between the very insistent Ayame and the obviously reluctant Koga. It sounded like Ayame was again pressing her case for the long-ago betrothal, and Koga was not willing to honour it… right now.
 
“What are you scheming, wench?” Inuyasha murmured, deliberately allowing his breath to puff lightly across Kagome's ear just to feel her delicate shiver.
 
“Koga needs a nudge in the right direction… and I'm just the person to do it.”
Snapping her fingers to catch the wolf prince's attention, Kagome softly called, “Koga, could you come here for a minute? I need to talk to you.”
 
The tall demon straightened, gave a short glance to Ayame, then strode over to Kagome, leaving a simmering female in his wake. “Yes, princess?” he asked, dipping his head close to hers in defiance of Inuyasha's growl… close enough that she could smell the raw meat of his last meal on his breath.
 
Smiling quietly while trying not to gag, she reached up as if to stroke Koga's cheek; that was his expectation, and an arrogant smirk crossed his lips as he leaned into her fingers. He was rather unprepared when Kagome dug her fingernails into his earlobe instead, and tugged his head down to her level. “Be quiet, wolfling. You listen to me, and listen hard. I'm gonna make this really easy for you. First, I want you to look over there and tell me what you see.” She twisted his head towards where Ayame stood, vibrant red hair twining in the breeze, brilliant green eyes questioning… arms folded tightly across her armoured chest, clawed fingertips drumming on her lacquered gauntlet.
 
“Um…”
 
Kagome held him in place. “You see a woman… a wolf princess… a female who wants you.” As his blue eyes widened in surprise, she tugged sharply on his earlobe. “Wave at the pretty wolf demon, Koga.” He obediently brought up his hand in a half-hearted salute. Ayame raised an eyebrow back.
 
Kagome waved gaily, then twisted Koga's head to face her and bared her teeth at him. “Now, you get this straight, and you get it fast, wolfling. Ayame is an exceptionally attractive wolf demon, a princess of your kind, and she wants to mate you. I, on the other hand, am a human, a miko, and am already happily mated. She's about your best and only chance to get laid in this century, so if you were smart, what should you do?”
 
Koga gave her a calculating look. “You'll never leave mutt-face?”
 
“Under no circumstances; `til death do us part' doesn't apply to us.” She gave his head a little shake. “What should you do, Koga?” she asked, repeating her question.
 
“If I was smart, I should honour my promise and mate Ayame.”
 
“Absolutely. You obviously stole her heart all those decades ago.” Kagome smiled sweetly at him and left off tormenting his ear. Koga straightened, rubbing the abused appendage and apparently thinking rather hard.
 
“But… mmph!” His dark eyebrows drew together over his blue eyes as he glared at her above the hand she'd just clapped over his mouth. She started to speak, but Inuyasha was just behind her, growling. Kagome didn't need to look behind her for proof that Inuyasha's eyes were flickering red, his cheek stripes fraying and darkening, his fangs elongating… because his red aura was coiling around her as surely as his arm pulled her back against his chest.
 
“No buts, wolf-shit… Kagome is mine and always has been. Sniffing around another demon's mate is suicidal… and I've had just about enough of your fucking attitude…”
 
Kagome straightened, until she was flush against Inuyasha's body and then leaned back a bit. He therefore also had to also stand straight and widen his stance slightly, which prevented him from easily reaching the wolf prince's throat.
 
Bringing up a calloused hand to rub the back of his neck, Koga considered the couple wreathed in shimmering red and silver mist before him. Silvery grey and fiery amber eyes stared him down, and he finally dropped his gaze, acknowledging their dominance. “Fine… fine....”
 
Just as Kagome sighed in relief, and sagged a bit against Inuyasha's tense body, Koga raised a claw. “However, if I'm mated, then I can't be there for you when mutt-face goes down against Naraku.” Noting two pairs of eyebrows disappearing up under bangs in matching affronted expressions, he merely nodded sagely. “I'm not gonna tie myself down to anyone else until all this is over and we see who survives.”
 
“You stupid fucking…” Kagome winced as Inuyasha's voice climbed into a roar right in her ear, but she quickly trapped his wrist and then fumbled for his sword hand to prevent him from going for Tetsusaiga. His lengthened claws flexed against her fingers and she squeezed warningly. He hesitated slightly, then pivoted them towards Ayame. “Koga's a damn idiot, but you're more than welcome to him, wench. Try to knock some sense into him… it'll be a change from me doing it.”
 
Ayame blinked, and dropped her arms to her sides. Kagome thought how young and vulnerable the wolf princess looked, and decided that she'd better show Ayame that she truly wasn't any threat. Startling the two males, she twisted loose from Inuyasha's grip and walked up to Ayame, holding out her hand. “I'm Inuyasha's mate; my name's Kagome.” Putting particular emphasis on the word `mate', she continued, “Was there a reason why you want Koga to honour the betrothal right now?”
 
Ayame looked from the proffered hand to Kagome's gentle smile and back again before slowly reciprocating the gesture. She sniffed deeply, and apparently found enough evidence to support the stated fact of who the other girl was mated to, because she marginally relaxed. “My grandfather bid me come find Koga; our tribe has come under attack by strange demons, and we are not strong enough to repel them by ourselves. Our mating will bind our tribes together…”
 
Koga cleared his throat, drawing all eyes to him. “There's a couple of problems with that, Ayame. One, the wolves you see in this clearing, plus Hakkaku and Ginta, are all that remain of my pack. Two, I don't have time to help your tribe, because I'm busy hunting down Naraku, the bastard who wiped out my clan in the first place. You'll have to take a number.”
 
Ayame's jaw dropped as she surveyed the wolves, and turned disbelieving eyes back to Koga. “That's impossible! Your tribe were the most numerous and powerful…”
 
“We were until Naraku wiped us out. I'm sure you can find a better prospect than me…”
 
“No, Koga. I don't care if you lost everything… I decided long ago that I wanted only you.” Ayame smiled a bit sadly over at him before her voice hardened. “I'll return to my grandfather and report that you are engaged in a battle of your own and are unable to assist us at this time. I will come for you again, though, and expect a different answer.”
 
It was Koga's turn to blink at the steely tone, but Ayame raised her hand in salute, called her wolves to her, and disappeared in a whirling tornado.
 
“Keh! She'll keep a fire lit under your ass, wolf-shit!” Inuyasha just managed to not rub his hands together at the prospect of Koga being heavily bossed by the red-headed firebrand. Instead, he woofed at Kagome, and smirked when she made a show of docilely responding to his summons. Tucking her under his arm, he grinned toothily at the wolf prince. “I'll save some of Naraku for ya…”
 
“He isn't going to be easy to find, mutt-face, but I'll bet you I take him down while you're still sniffing your ass. Take care, princess!” With a cocky smirk and a rude gesture at the hanyou, Koga was gone, his long-suffering pack panting after him.
 
Kirara refused to land until the last wolf disappeared, an expression of distaste on her furry countenance. “Shall we continue on our way and locate a suitable campsite? I, personally, have had quite enough excitement for one day,” Miroku observed.
 
Sango couldn't contain her smirk. “Koga will have his hands full with that one! Think you'll be invited to the wedding, Kagome?”
 
Been to one of Koga's `family weddings' already! “I'd be afraid of what would be on the menu; I wonder if Ayame's tribe shares the same taste for humans…”
 
Kumo ambled up and nudged Kagome with his muzzle, then nibbled Inuyasha's shoulder. The hanyou absently rubbed the tenbaryu's nose, thinking. “If we cut straight across the circular path we were taking, we'll be back in the village in about eight days…”
 
“That's plenty of time for me to get ready for the Emperor,” Kagome grinned, and allowed Inuyasha to boost her onto Kumo's back. As he slid on behind her, a memory of the previous festival scampered through her mind, and her grin became wider. I wonder if this year Hakkaku and Ginta will be the `Spirits of Darkness'? This could be fun!
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж