InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Courting Disaster ( Chapter 69 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. All characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan Publishing, and VIZ is in the dog-pile somewhere, too.
 
A/N: Many thanks to Forthright and the House of Noko for their excellent suggestions that made this chapter much, much better.
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 69: Courting Disaster
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
The next afternoon, the Western Fortress' infirmary
 
Oh, man… my mouth tastes awful…like I haven't brushed my teeth in a month… after having a tooth removed why is there such a strong taste of blood? Shit… do I want to wake up and find out what happened to me? What the hell is this weight on my chest?
 
Kagome carefully flexed her fingers around the bar of cold metal that lay heavily across her body, and ran her tongue around her furry teeth again, wondering at the unpleasant coppery taste. Her other wrist was kinked on an odd angle by something that she thought she recognized, and she used her fingers to identify Fenik's familiar hilt. Why's he being so quiet? A dull full-body-ache crept into her awareness and hunkered down; she tried not to whimper.
 
Cautiously cracking an eye, she almost as quickly snapped it back shut while letting out a small pained gasp. Dammit! What's wrong with my sight? Holy gods, that hurts! Wincing against the pain, she tried again, carefully slitting her eyes to peer out through her lashes. Even after much blinking, she still could only make out fuzzy bars of dark and light patterning what must be a ceiling high above. Inside… but definitely not at Kaede's. Dammit, Fenik… wake up! Where are we? Midoriko? What's going on? Briefly closing her smarting eyes, she then lowered her gaze to squint at the brightly-coloured walls enclosing the space she was in and effectively blocking out the rest of the room. What the hell is that…? Sort of looks likehanging screens…? She could smell charcoal; there must be a small brazier warming the air of the space.
 
“Kagome-sama? Are you in pain?” The gentle feminine voice was very close… too close for Kagome's comfort; she startled badly as her eyes flew open and just as quickly shut again, grimacing when the light stabbed her dilated pupils. Damn, damned, damnable! Can't see... can't movewas that youkai…? She tried desperately to call on her power, to throw up a barrier, but instead of the familiar sensation of protection, there was… a mild little tingle, and then nothing. What the fuck's going on? Fenik! Midoriko? The weight on her chest suddenly seemed too heavy for her heart to function properly and she trembled all over with the effort as she grasped Fenik's hilt… but was unable to lift her blade. Have I been restrained by a sutra? D-dammit!
 
“Fetch Momiji-sama, Ume-san. I will stay with Kagome-sama.” I know that voice! A shadow fell across her face as a vaguely familiar presence hovered close. Kagome desperately ran the youkai signature through her memory banks, trying for a match, but was distracted by the sound of footsteps hurriedly pattering away. “Kagome-sama… do your eyes still hurt?” She registered warm concern, but stiffened slightly when cool fingers lightly brushed the back of her sword hand. They were tipped with delicately prickling claws, but despite the non-threatening tone, she panicked. A barrier… I need a barrier! She tried again to muster a shield but this time, absolutely nothing happened.
 
Taking a deep, steadying breath and trying to silence the part of her brain running around in circles screaming, she attempted to answer the unknown youkai's question as calmly as possible. “Y-yes… my eyes are quite painful.” Why don't I have any power? Why does my throat hurt like I've been drinking acid?
 
“You went very far away from us; I am glad that you came back.”
 
Kagome slowly turned her head in the direction of the earnest young voice and tried to focus on the speaker through the fringe of her lashes. She made out a blur of blue-black and bronze before her lids snapped closed. “G-gitou-maru-kun…?” She remained tense, hoping she was right, hoping that if it was the young inu-youkai, then she wasn't in any immediate danger.
 
“Yes.” There was a great deal of relief in his tone. “You are safe, Kagome-sama; I am your personal guard.”
 
“My… guard? Am I… imprisoned?” she rasped, her heart rate accelerating as panic washed through her.
 
“You are not a prisoner, Kagome-sama. Gitoumaru-kun, that was a most unfortunate choice of wording. You have scared your charge half to death… and we just retrieved her from the hell-gates.” A new, business-like voice entered the conversation. “Withdraw, whelp, and report to Sesshomaru-sama that the lady has awakened.”
 
“I cannot leave her side until I am relieved…” Gitoumaru's tone was very officious; near-hysterical laughter bubbled inside her at how much he sounded like Sesshomaru… and then the dawning realization that she must be in a certain taiyoukai's vicinity struck her like one of his energy whips.
 
“Take yourself outside the screens before I tan your hide, young man.” There was no mistaking the steel in the newcomer's voice, and with a disgruntled noise, Gitoumaru rose to his feet. A whisper of silk and a chink of weaponry filled the tense silence before Kagome heard his soft leather boots padding away. “Takes himself far too seriously, that one… now, Ume-san, move those screens to block as much light as possible so that Kagome-sama may open her eyes without discomfort.” There were shuffling and moving noises, and what sounded like a heavy frame scraping over a waxed wooden floor as a slender hand was pressed lightly to her forehead. “We were not expecting you to regain consciousness so soon, Kagome-sama; please forgive us for not protecting your sight adequately. Try to open your eyes again.”
 
There was nothing for it but to obey; turning her head slightly towards the owner of the hand currently shielding her eyes, her nose bumped into rounded metal and she belatedly identified the metal item trapping her under its weight. Swallowing hard, trying to moisten a throat that felt as if it had been scrubbed out with wire mesh, she croaked, “C-can you m-move this sword, please…? It's heavy…”
 
“I cannot touch that weapon, Kagome-sama, else I would have removed it this morning. You do not recognize it?”
 
Kagome squinted at the hilt, noting the neat, precise wrapping of the grip. It sure as heck isn't Tetsusaiga… A brief, searing memory of unbearable pain, of Fenik twisted tightly around her, of Midoriko screaming about too much power… of a controlled, cold burn lancing into her body and sparking behind her eyelids, immediately followed by icy liquid chilling her from the inside out allowed her to accurately guess. “Tenseiga.”
 
She closed her eyes and concentrated on her immediate surroundings. Her questioner's youkai brushed against her; it was not threatening. My cuirass is missing, but I'm not naked. Someone dressed me in a… she peered through her lashes and confirmed the style… clean yukata and put me to bed on a futon… a thick futon, because I can't feel the floor through it. I'm warm and comfortable… and not in a dungeon. However, I'm surrounded by inu-youkai… could I be… at the fortress? There was a bit of gibbering as her brain tried to process that, but she shook off the possible negative connotations. Everyone so far seems concerned about me, and no-one has tried to swipe my head off… okay… maybe this situation isn't dangerous?
 
“Ume-san, report to the kitchens that the patient requires some sustenance; bring it with you when it is ready.” There was a murmur of assent and then the rustle of fabric as someone retreated outside the screens. The hand on her brow shifted, and a long dark braid swung over to bump against her arm. Kagome peeked at its owner as she tilted her head to smile, her warm dark eyes twinkling. “Greetings, Kagome-sama. I am Momiji, and I am very pleased that you have decided to rejoin the land of the living.”
 
Kagome managed to marshal an appropriate response from her aching brain and force it past her sore lips. “Th-thank you very much, Momiji-san. Wh-where am I, exactly?”
 
The demoness smiled, showing some rather sharp canines. “You are a guest of the Western Fortress. Currently, you are in the infirmary, where you will remain until you have sufficiently recovered from your ordeal.”
 
Well, shit. A guest of Sesshomaru; how the hell did I manage that? “How long was I unconscious, Momiji-san?” she asked, shutting her eyes again and trying to moisten her parched mouth.
 
The demoness replaced her hand with a damp cloth; Kagome heard the sound of liquid being poured as Momiji answered, “You were brought to me early yesterday evening in a very desperate condition. Would you like something to drink? I expect that your mouth and throat are very dry.”
 
Kagome nodded faintly, and awkwardly allowed the heavy sword to slide down her arm to rest in the crook of her elbow as Momiji lifted her head and shoulders slightly off the futon so that she could sip cool water from a ceramic cup. The liquid trickled down her throat, and was incredibly refreshing. “Not too much, my lady, else your stomach will revolt. While the rate of your healing is incredible, I am not certain that everything is properly repaired just yet.” Kagome was relieved when Momiji eased her back into a prone position, for the slight effort it had taken to hold her head up left her feeling extremely dizzy.
 
“What… happened to me? How did I get here?” Kagome asked, her heart beginning to thump irregularly again.
 
“Calm yourself, my lady. You will needlessly worry your mate through the soul bond you share.” Gentle hands smoothed her bangs away from her suddenly-damp forehead.
 
“I-isn't he here…?” Kagome couldn't help it; her heart accelerated at the knowledge that she was effectively blind and helpless… and her hanyou was nowhere in the vicinity.
 
“Inuyasha-sama is on his way; you were bitten by a snake-youkai, and its fangs pierced your vitals. Fortunately, you received only a minor dose of its poison, which is causing your current eyesight difficulties. Your internal damage was more life-threatening, but the Tenseiga appears to have healed you with the help of your inherent powers.”
 
“W-will this vision problem… be permanent?” Kagome was really starting to panic; she gripped Fenik's hilt tightly to anchor herself, and again wondered why she couldn't hear either of her voices.
 
“I do not know; you are the first patient I have had who has survived injuries of this magnitude. Sesshomaru-sama had you here within an hour of the attack, and the healing event took place shortly after that.”
 
The odd way Momiji phrased the last part of the sentence caught Kagome's attention. “H-healing… event?”
 
Momiji's voice held a touch of wonder. “I have never seen its like, Kagome-sama. You hold both spiritual and demonic power within your body, and somehow those two opposing forces combined with the Tenseiga to repair your injuries. I gave you a cursory check this morning, once the barriers dissipated; you'll have some impressive scars showing where the serpent's fangs pierced your body, but the skin, muscles and bone have knit themselves back together.”
 
“I feel sore… and achy…”
 
“No doubt. According to reports, the snake dropped you from quite a height before you went over the edge of the cliff…”
 
“C-cliff…?”
 
“Sesshomaru-sama caught you before you struck the ground. However, you also lost a great deal of blood before you arrived here, so I expect that you will feel rather weak for a while. You are not to attempt to sit or stand without myself, Ume-san or your mate to support you… is that clear?”
 
“Yes, ma'am,” Kagome muttered meekly, as she picked up a slight change in the air currents of the room. The touch of a very familiar youkai electrified her senses as she listened to the approach of footsteps on the other side of the screens. The quiet order for someone to wait was murmured, and Kagome squinted towards a gap in the fabric and waited, her heartbeat picking up again. Momiji's claws lightly touched the back of Kagome's hand where it still gripped the Tenseiga's blade before she stood upright, a dark blue figure that moved purposefully until she stood directly in front of a tall, silvery-white blob in Kagome's badly flickering visual range.
 
Momiji reached up and tapped a long claw on the taiyoukai's chest, fixing him with a stern eye. “If you so much as cause my patient's pupils to dilate any wider than they already are, I will have your pelt to trim my winter cloak, Sesshomaru-sama.” The taiyoukai favoured her with an icy glare until she dropped her hand and stepped aside.
 
Sesshomaru glided around the foot of the futon until he stood beside Kagome, looking down with those yellow eyes. For her part, she peered up at him and gulped. He's at least six-five in height, but from down here, he looks about double that! He wasn't wearing his armour or the threatened pelt; nor did he have his swords. She closed her aching eyes and weakly nodded, hoping he didn't expect a bow or anything else requiring effort.
 
“Sit down, my lord, before you give the poor girl vertigo from your overwhelming magnificence.” Momiji's sharp rebuke nearly made her smirk, but there was a long moment before a solid body wearing heavy silks seated itself on the edge of the futon, puffing displaced air over her face… well inside her comfort zone. He has me at his mercy…can't even throw up a barrier to slow him down… but would he save me then just to kill me now?
 
“Please forgive me for not greeting you formally…” She tried to focus on his face, but the effort to make her eyes work was rapidly giving her a blistering headache. The taiyoukai continued to gaze at her without speaking and his expression became downright calculating. She squirmed a bit under his scrutiny and immediately wished she hadn't because her ribs gave a sharp twinge; she barely stifled a pained gasp.
 
“It appears that my sword has completed its interaction with you.”
 
“You'll have to lift it yourself; I seem to have lost all my strength…” She just managed not to flinch as his hand reached towards her, and then the weapon's weight disappeared from her body, which left her feeling oddly vulnerable even if more comfortable. He balanced the Tenseiga across his thighs and again observed her with that intensely unnerving gaze.
 
Kagome's mouth was dry, and it wasn't just because of her condition. What now? He's up to something… I know it! More pleasantries, I suppose, until he lays his cards on the table. “Thank you for saving my life, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
“I merely brought you here; your fang and mine did the rest.” His particular emphasis on `fang' made her already pounding heart skip a beat, and she knew without a shadow of a doubt that Fenik had done something which would make her existence on this side of the Well far more complicated than it already was.
 
“Wh-where are my Shards…?” I need to talk to Midoriko… and where the hell is Fenik?
 
“I have the Shards in my custody; until you have recovered enough to defend them, I will protect them in your place.”
 
“Understood. However, I require at least one Shard to uh, channel my spiritual power.”
 
“You could not defend yourself against a flea-demon right now,” he pointed out and she had to concede his point. Kagome tried to moisten her dry lips while she thought rapidly, attempting to figure out why the taiyoukai assisted her. He wants something… is he holding me hostage? Momiji said I wasn't a prisoner, though… but why do I have a guard? “When will Inuyasha arrive, please?”
 
“Late tomorrow night. The distance is considerable.”
 
She stiffened at the realization that the New Moon was within the next couple of nights… and they would be not only surrounded in the heart of hostile territory, but both of them were helpless… if she didn't get either her eyesight or her powers back. Damn, damned, damnable
 
Sesshomaru noted her tension, but continued, “Your presence here will present an opportunity to ambitious creatures who would seize the Shards. As my brother's mate, you will also be resented.”
 
“By those that have the same low opinions of hanyous and humans that you do?” Kagome asked tartly, slitting her eyes to glare at him as best she could.
 
He refused to be baited. “By those who would seek to overthrow the House of the West. Even if Inuyasha were a full-blood and you a youkai, they would still scheme. However, they are for the most part unaware of the full extent of your powers. I intend to use that to my advantage.” Kagome turned that over in her mind a few times, trying to think around her headache, but then Sesshomaru successfully pushed her buttons. “If I succeed, Rin's safety is assured.”
 
That caught her attention like nothing else could. “Rin's safety? How?”
 
“Some question my guardianship of a human child.”
 
Kagome blinked at him, trying to read his studiously blank (and very blurred) expression without success. I know she ends up as your mate… but you still dismiss that idea out of hand, don't you? Too bad I don't get to see you `pull the stick out of your ass', as Shimano said I have to play this very straight. “Rin can come live with us in Edo, I guess, which would protect her from any dangers originating here in the fortress… so long as you also supply loyal guards for her when we are away fighting Naraku.”
 
The taiyoukai gave her a very direct look. “I intend to make the fortress safer for Rin by using you and Inuyasha to flush out the ambitious.”
 
“So… you want our help secure your inheritance as Lord of the West… which will in turn protect Rin?” she asked slowly, turning it over in her mind and looking for the catch.
 
“Consider this one of the terms of our truce, miko. I cannot assist against Naraku if I must concern myself with events taking place here, undoubtedly far away from any battlefield.” Sesshomaru watched her carefully as he used her own need for his power against her. Finally, Kagome sighed heavily.
 
“Fine. I'll talk to Inuyasha about it when he arrives, but I can't commit him to a course of action without his approval.”
 
“Very well. In the meantime, I have clarified your status as the ranking female by installing you in the rooms assigned to former Chief Wives…”
 
“Chief… Wife? Won't they think that you and I…” Kagome squeaked.
 
“Highly unlikely. Gossip about Inuyasha's blood-soaked fire-rat has more than likely already made the rounds; most here are aware of your existence since my guardsmen returned from Edo without the two tenbaryu they were sent to retrieve.” He gracefully shrugged his shoulders, and Kagome's eye was drawn by the motion to the empty sleeve of his pale grey kimono. “Gitoumaru-kun secured your reputation as a warrior when he returned to the fortress last Spring with his father's shattered sword and a lurid tale of the Protector of the Jewel.”
 
She peered up at him; the taiyoukai appeared relatively non-lethal, so she was emboldened to say, “I'm glad that he made it back in one piece…he's a good kid.”
 
“He has kept your dagger with him like some sort of talisman; I recognized it.”
 
Kagome relaxed slightly. “Gitoumaru-kun fought well; his sensei should be proud of him.”
 
“Thank you.”
 
She arched her eyebrow. “You're his sensei…?”
 
“So? It is an obligation.” Sesshomaru considered her for a moment before adding, “I expect that there will be an opportunity for you to demonstrate your `Imperial' fighting style before very long.”
 
Momiji cleared her throat then, and Kagome started at this reminder that they were not completely alone. “You will be able to torment her at your leisure until her mate arrives, and if he is truly as fiery as my nephews have indicated, he may have a few things to say about your `plan', Sesshomaru-sama. Leave her be for today, please.”
 
Sesshomaru shook out his sleeve. “You will stay until you have recovered your strength. Stay way from Court politics.” He hefted Tenseiga, stood up and moved to the foot of the futon before speaking again. “We shall speak again tomorrow, preferably before my brother arrives and sets the fortress on its ear.”
 
Kagome felt shaky, and it wasn't completely from being so close to Sesshomaru's demonic aura. He isn't helping my stress level, the jerk! Gah! He won't be very happy when I can't tell him anything… “Why did you assist us, in the end?”
 
He hesitated in the act of sheathing Tenseiga at his hip. Better that she knows the truth. “You both would have died due to the bond between mates… and Inuyasha's life is mine to end at a time of my choosing.” She went very pale, but then he added something that was much closer to the real truth, spurred on by his memory of solemn dark eyes and a sweet voice firm with childish conviction. “You also guarded this Sesshomaru, as well as protecting Rin… consider it a debt repaid.” Pivoting on his heel, he brushed past Momiji and exited the screened space.
 
Gitoumaru came to attention; the teen's pale cheeks were dusted pink from the overheard conversation. Sesshomaru gave him a pointed look, and he quailed. “Not a word, Gitoumaru-kun. If this goes beyond your father, I will know who to flay.” His claws glowed slightly, and the youth swallowed hard before bowing deeply.
 
“H-hai, S-sesshomaru-sama.”
 
The taiyoukai paused in the act of descending the ladder-stairs to allow a young female inu-youkai encumbered by a tray loaded with an array of small covered bowls to finish her ascent. She bobbed a quick bow to him and Gitoumaru stiffly saluted as he disappeared from view. Sesshomaru's composed visage gave no hint of the immense satisfaction he felt as he exited the central keep through the ground floor's huge wooden gates. She will be my willing pawn… both she and Inuyasha. My position as Lord of the West shall be unassailable.
 
Momiji gestured impatiently from behind the screen, and the young girl hastened to bear her tray into the sick room. She promptly found herself the recipient of a beady-eyed look from the formidable demoness. “Kagome-sama, this is Ume-san; I have assigned her to be your companion during your stay.”
 
Ume quickly knelt and laid the tray beside the futon before casting a quick glance at her new mistress. The human opened her strange metallic eyes slightly, smiled gently at her and rasped, “I'm glad to meet you, Ume-san… what, exactly, does a `companion' do?”
 
The teenager folded her hands on her lap and repeated her instructions. “I look after you, Kagome-sama. Right now, I will help you to eat and wash until you regain your strength. Then, I will be at your side should you require any assistance or amusement during your stay. You… have not had a ladies maid before?”
 
The dark-haired human smiled again, her eerie eyes hidden beneath closed lids; her fingers restlessly tapped against the blade of the unsheathed sword lying alongside her leg. “No, Ume-san. I barely qualify as a lady… more of a soldier, I'm afraid, but I will do my best not to embarrass you.”
 
Ume looked to Momiji for guidance; the older woman shrugged. The teen chose her words carefully. “I am sure I will not be… embarrassed, my lady. Ieji-kun and Ita-kun spoke very highly of your manners and deportment upon their return from your village.” As Momiji arranged the food to hand, she moved around behind the prostrate woman and knelt again, then lifted Kagome half-way to sitting before adding, “Your mate gave them pause, however.”
 
Kagome gritted her teeth to not cry out as she was shifted into position and held like a child in the young demoness' arms. Momiji then pressed a spoonful of broth to her lips. After downing the mild liquid, Kagome murmured, “He gave them every reason to fear him; I am not sure how he will react to being in this place for the first time since he and his mother were exiled.”
 
Momiji `tsked' and fed her another spoonful. “Inuyasha-sama will learn very quickly to comport himself properly as the son of the Inu no Taisho while inside these walls; his honoured father would expect nothing less of him.”
 
Kagome obediently swallowed all the soup and was being fed grilled fish interspersed with bites of rice when a connection clicked in her mind. “Momiji-san… are Ieji-kun and Ita-kun related to you?”
 
The demoness paused in the act of pouring a steaming cup. “They are my nephews, Kagome-sama. I hope they behaved themselves?”
 
“Impeccably. Are they here?”
 
“They were ordered to accompany the rest of your pack back to Edo; they will remain there for the duration, I suppose.” The tea Momiji urged her to drink had a sharp medicinal aftertaste.
 
“I don't remember anything about the battle or being bitten…” A sweet dumpling was pressed to her lips and took away the bitterness of the tea.
 
Momiji briskly wiped Kagome's chin after a final sip of water. “That is probably for the best. It must have been a massive creature that attacked you, judging by the size and distance between the puncture wounds in your body. Now, lie here quietly and digest while Ume-san reads to you.”
 
Kagome kept her eyes closed and just listened as Ume began to recite an epic poem that quickly became a somewhat gory description of some battle or other while Momiji tidied up her bedding before disappearing with the tinkling dishes. She heard footsteps, and Ume broke off her recitation.
 
“Gitoumaru-kun! You are supposed to guard Kagome-sama from outside the screens! Momiji-san will skin you if she catches you in here!”
 
“It's all right, Ume-san,” Kagome waved her hand weakly in the direction of the girl's voice. “Gitoumaru-kun may stay.”
 
“Thank you, Kagome-sama,” the youth breathed in a tone of reverence, and Kagome's eyebrow twitched. Crap…do I have a case of `hero worship' on my hands here? I wonder how he and Inuyasha's first meeting goes over… since they'll end up as father- and son-in-law… oh, boy
 
“Ume-san? Will you continue the poem? I was rather enjoying your voice…” she hastily asked, when the silence stretched. Even without looking she was sure that the young female was glaring daggers at the mooning youth seated at the foot of her futon.
 
“It describes a famous battle fought long ago between the Inu no Taisho and the leader of the hyakki-komori,” Ume stated a bit primly, her feathers definitely ruffled by Gitoumaru's presence… and Kagome began to wonder if perhaps the demoness had a crush on the lordling.
 
“Please continue, Ume-san… I, too, was enjoying the sound of your lovely voice,” Gitoumaru offered politely. Seemingly mollified, Ume cleared her throat and continued the tale of the Inu no Taisho's struggle to defeat the ogre bats while Kagome listened with half an ear. Sounds like Taigokumaru gave Inuyasha's dad a tough time of it, if even half of that poem is correct… I hope you get here soon, koibito… preferably before your brother subjects me to his version of the Inquisition. She didn't notice the point at which she fell asleep.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Too soon, it seemed, Kagome was awakened very pleasantly by a light touch on her face. As she cautiously opened her eyes, wary of the sting caused by too much light, she yelped in surprise at the large dark eye filling her visual field. There was happy giggle, and the owner of the eye pulled back far enough so that Kagome was able to recognize the sweet-faced, eager little girl in a brightly-coloured kimono.
 
“Good morning! How are you, Kagome-sama? I have been waiting forever for you to wake up and talk to me! Momiji-san says you are not able to go out in the gardens yet, but you can have a bath this morning!”
 
Vision is much better today… can actually see without an instant headache… all right! Throat's still a little sore, but not as bad as yesterday… Kagome remembered she had company and smiled cheerfully. “Hello, Rin-chan!”
 
The little girl leaned in conspiratorially. “I'm not really supposed to be in here, Kagome-sama, but I was dying to see you, and I waited until Momiji-san and Ume-san were busy elsewhere, and Gitoumaru-kun allowed me to slip in…you won't tell on me, will you?” Her wide brown eyes were anxious. Kagome held up her hand.
 
“I promise, hope to die, stick a needle in my eye that I won't tell on you, Rin-chan.”
 
“Oh, thank you, Kagome-sama! I'd better go, because they will bring you breakfast soon, and Momiji-san will tell Sesshomaru-sama if she catches me here and then I'll have to take a bath, too…” The hanging screens bellied in the draft, and the demoness under discussion stood the gap between the fabric panels, arms crossed over her ample chest, tapping her foot.
 
There you are, Rin-chan…I wondered where you had scarpered off to instead of eating your breakfast, you naughty girl. You know you are not supposed to be pestering Kagome-sama…”
 
Kagome hastily cleared her throat. “Please, Momiji-san…could Rin-chan eat her breakfast with me?”
 
Rin clapped her hands. “Oh, yes, please Momiji-san! I'll be very good, and eat every bite, I promise!”
 
The demoness rolled her eyes, and sighed. “Very well, you scamp. Mind your manners now, and don't wear out Kagome-sama with your chatter. Sesshomaru-sama wishes to speak with her later, and I don't want her to be exhausted from keeping up with you.”
 
Breakfast was entertaining, with Rin keeping up a constant commentary around her chopsticks on every denizen of the fortress while Ume and Momiji occasionally interjected comments or corrections while hand-feeding their patient. Kagome wondered if they actually let this lively little bundle roam at will, because she seemed to know everyone from the scullery maids to the guard captains to the major-domo, along with all their idiosyncrasies and quirks. Listening to Rin's breathless litany took her mind off the intense aching of her joints and muscles, which didn't seem much better from the previous day, unlike her improved vision and voice.
 
Ume tidied up the bowls and disappeared with them while Momiji gave Kagome and Rin long considering looks in turn and then nodded, as if a decision had been made. “Gitoumaru-kun! Where is your father?” There was a startled snorting sound, as if a certain young inu-youkai had dozed off, and then Gitoumaru poked his dark head around the edge of the brightly-patterned screen.
 
“Um… I believe he is selecting some personal guards for Kagome-sama,” he mumbled sheepishly.
 
Momiji spared him a sharp glance. “Go tell him that Kagome-sama requires an escort as soon as possible.” When the teen opened his mouth to protest, she narrowed her eyes at him. “Are you questioning my ability to protect the lady in your absence?”
 
“Er, no, Momiji-san. Never.”
 
“Be off with you, then,” she flapped her fingers at him, and he shambled away; Kagome thought she heard him jump down the last few steps and land rather heavily on the ground below in a clunk of metal; she began to wonder exactly how many weapons he had loaded himself down with in his youthful enthusiasm when Momiji firmly stated, “Now, ladies, we will prepare you for a trip to the bath house…”
 
“But Momiji-san! I just had a bath yesterday!” Rin wailed.
 
“Stay out of the dung-heap in the garden and you won't require one on a daily basis,” Momiji stated crushingly.
 
“Can I help it if the prettiest roses grow right beside it?” the little girl mumbled under her breath.
 
Momiji arched an eyebrow, but was forestalled from further comment by the arrival of Ume with an armload of what appeared to be clothing and towels. As she turned to examine the girl's offerings, Kagome caught Rin's eye and winked; the little girl flashed a brilliant smile and winked back. A moment or two later there came the tread of heavy boots on the ladder-stair outside the hanging screens.
 
Kagome tried not to squint as Momiji and Ume formally greeted a tall, cobalt-marked adult male inu-youkai who could only be Gitoumaru's father. When he turned very dark blue eyes on her, Kagome did her best to respectfully nod when Momiji introduced him. “This is danshaku Kiriaisai, Sesshomaru-sama's Sentouken; he has been charged with your safety during your stay at the fortress.”
 
Kiriaisai gravely bowed; she received the distinct impression that he was critically sizing up his newest responsibility, but when he spoke, his voice was both deep and sincere. “It is an honour to meet you, Kagome-sama. You are highly spoken of.”
 
“Thank you, Kiriaisai-san. I hope that I won't cause too much trouble for you,” Kagome replied.
 
His cheek stripes crinkled in a way that instantly reminded her of Gitoumaru's older self and his eyes danced merrily. “I gather that trouble has a way of finding you, my lady, if even half the stories making the rounds of this fortress are true. To prevent any misadventures occurring during your stay, may I present Saya and Fuchi?” He gestured forward two brawny guardsmen, who apparently had drawn the short straws for the assignment.
 
Kagome forced her eyes to focus and looked them over with difficulty while they studied her with covert curiosity. They were both very tall and broad-shouldered, both handsome with high cheekbones, and intelligent eyes. One had a gleaming black top-knot, while the other's shock of bright red hair was held back off his face by a leather headband. They shuffled their booted feet and looked at their hands, as if uncomfortable in the presence of a human.
 
“Do they meet with your approval, Kagome-sama?” Kiriaisai asked.
 
“I am more than happy to accept your recommendation, Kiriaisai-san. Thank you for your consideration,” she smiled, briefly closing her eyes as pain leached into the edges of her vision. She listened as Kiriaisai gave the two inu-youkai some parting orders and then the heavy tread of his boots as he withdrew.
 
Momiji took over, her robes rustling… and the tone in the room abruptly lightened. “Kagome-sama, these two disreputable types may not be the brightest torches in the corridor, but at least they can be trusted with your safety. Boys, you are responsible to me for Kagome-sama's well-being, and you will behave yourselves…or else.”
 
Kagome opened her eyes in time to see the dark-haired demon grinning toothily at Momiji, flashing some fairly impressive canines. “Or else what, Obaa-san?” She made to cuff him upside the head and he ducked away, chortling. Kagome squinted more carefully at the man. There's something familiar
 
“Else I will personally flay you and Saya-kun and have your sorry hides mounted on the practice dummies at the barracks, allowing both of you to be beaten for all eternity, baka. Now, either find a litter to transport her, or one of you is going to carry this gracious lady…”
 
Misinterpreting their previous body language, Kagome interrupted. “Momiji-san, if they aren't comfortable around humans, please don't force them into close contact with me against their will…”
 
Dark eyes twinkled from under darker bangs. “Oh, we love humans, Kagome-sama… but we could never eat a whole one.” Both guardsmen snickered delightedly at her expression; Ume looked scandalized while Momiji rolled her eyes.
 
Whacking the dark-haired speaker in the chest and then again when he mock-`oofed', Momiji said, “Forgive my scallywag nephew, Kagome-sama. Fuchi-kun will lose his tongue one of these days for his impertinence…”
 
Kagome abruptly put two and two together. “Excuse me… but are you related by any chance to Ieji-kun and Ita-kun?”
 
Fuchi bowed deeply. “I have the misfortune to be their long-suffering elder brother, my lady. How did you guess?”
 
“Similar looks… and similar cheeky sense of humour.”
 
“It's a family curse,” he sighed dramatically. “We're good-looking and charming.”
 
“Such lovely boys, wouldn't you agree, Kagome-sama? No wonder they haven't found females that would take on any of them… Saya-kun, I assume you to be the sensible one; make ready a carrying chair…”
 
Instead of complying, the red-haired guardsman went down on one knee and grinned broadly at Rin. “Would you like a ride, Rin-chan?” The little girl squealed happily and ran to him, kilting up her kimono until she could clamber up onto his shoulders. She reached around under his chin and took a firm grip on the collar of his dark grey leather tunic; he folded a large hand over her much smaller ones as he carefully stood up.
 
Momiji tapped her foot. “Very well, then. Fuchi-kun, you will…”
 
I would be honoured to carry Kagome-sama,” interrupted another voice, and all eyes turned to where a rather tired-looking Gitoumaru held himself very straight.
 
Fuchi laughed and reached over to mess up the youth's bangs with all the patronization of the older professional for the eager young amateur. “You're off duty now, Git-kun. Go have something to eat and sleep for a while before you take up your duties as Kagome-sama's page…”
 
A quiet voice spoke from the futon. “Show Gitoumaru-kun some respect, Fuchi-kun; out of all the demons I have faced in battle, he and Sesshomaru-sama are among the few that have walked away with their lives.” Metallic silver eyes glittered from under dark lashes; Gitoumaru's chest puffed out with pride.
 
Fuchi straightened up and bowed. “My apologies, my lady. Gitoumaru-kun, will you turn over responsibility for Kagome-sama to us? She is safe in our hands…”
 
“Not according to what I've heard of your reputation,” Gitoumaru growled, but he subsided at a sharp look from Momiji and nodded his assent.
 
Behind closed lids, Kagome rolled her eyes. Just wait until Inuyasha gets here and joins in all the chest-beating
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome would have enjoyed the sybaritic comforts of the bath house much more if she didn't know that dealing with Sesshomaru was next on the roster. Being stripped down by sharp-fanged strangers also gave her pause until she remembered that Momiji had more than likely been the one who peeled her out of her cuirass, so had already seen pretty much all that she had to offer… and it wasn't like she could stop them anyways, as her powers seemed to have gone on vacation. Fenik had been left in the infirmary despite her protests; Momiji assured her that the weapon was in no danger of being touched.
 
She forgot all that in the shock of finally seeing what lay under the bandages swathing her torso; she'd nearly keeled over on the spot. After exploring the discoloured flesh with her fingers and marvelling at how rapidly she'd healed, she rather happily submitted to Ume scrubbing the blood and dirt out of her hair and then having a long soak in the steaming hot water while Rin was washed down before being plunked into the capacious square tub. The little girl sloshed over and sat down beside her; Kagome noticed that she was staring in rapt fascination through the shifting water at something. “Wow, Kagome-sama… they're so big!”
 
The older woman blinked, and did her best to follow the child's line of sight… and realized she meant the fresh scars outlining the punctures driven through her torso. “Yes, Rin-chan… I suppose it must have been quite a large snake-youkai.”
 
A small hand reached to trace the plate-sized wound just above her hip, and then the one just above her breast, right below her Jewel scar, that clearly showed how the creature's fang had broken two of her ribs on its way through her lung… but had missed her heart. “Sesshomaru-sama said that Inuyasha-sama killed it because it hurt you so badly…”
 
As Kagome curiously touched her bruised flesh, she remembered a fleeting glimpse of dry black and green scales, a glassy eye… and then it was gone. It must have been a very nasty situation, especially if Inuyasha willingly gave me up to Sesshomaru
 
“When will Inuyasha-sama arrive?” Rin's bright query brought her back to the present, and she shook off the sudden chill.
 
“Sesshomaru-sama said late tonight, I think.” The little girl suddenly looked shy, and twiddled her fingers. Kagome gently poked her in the ribs. “What is it, Rin-chan?”
 
In a breathy whisper, Rin asked, “Do you think Inuyasha-sama would let me pet his ears again?” She sank down into the water and lowered her voice even further. “I wish Sesshomaru-sama had ears like that...”
 
Kagome's lip twitched. Something to twit Sessaki over the next time I see him… `did you know your mate at one time wished you were a hanyou?' Something that Myoga had told her, long months before, tweaked her memory… and then she had to figure out how to phrase her question.
 
“Momiji-san… I understand that Inuyasha-sama's lady mother came to the fortress as a tithe, but after the death of the Inu no Taisho's Chief Wife, he married her. Um… does… Sesshomaru-sama… keep concubines?”
 
There was a definite snort before Momiji answered, “He does not choose to follow that particular tradition, thank goodness. We have quite enough cat-fights and petty jealousies among the nubile daughters of the nobility already; I shudder to think of the mayhem if the women's quarters were also filled with contenders vying for his favours.”
 
Now there's an image… Sesshomaru reclining amongst his harem… eek! Kagome's thoughts then turned towards Momiji's apparent lack of fear regarding a certain taiyoukai. “How long have you known Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
The demoness paused in folding up the used clothing and let out a low chortle. “I changed his nappies when he was a pup and coddled him when his milk teeth fell out; his `this Sesshomaru' attitude doesn't hold with me, but he still tries me on for size now and again.”
 
Try as she might, Kagome simply could not wrap her head around the image of Sesshomaru ever being tiny and helpless… but the image of him delivering a death glare at the hapless nursemaid charged with changing his diapers gave her a fit of the giggles that made her ribs ache.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
After she and Rin were extricated from the tub and dried off, Kagome was carefully re-bandaged despite her protests that since she wasn't bleeding, she didn't really see the point. Momiji had prodded and examined her from all sides, but still insisted on the bandages as a `reminder' of her injuries. Since Kagome couldn't be vertical for any length of time without feeling faint, and she admitted to some odd internal twinges, she quickly gave in. She was dressed in a clean white kosode and bundled into a blanket with a flap pulled over her head to shield her eyes for the trip back to the infirmary in Fuchi's arms… but they didn't return to the first floor of the massive central tower.
 
Instead, they left the bath house surrounded by manicured gardens and headed into a maze-like network of covered walkways and pavilions. Finally, they reached a large, gracefully-roofed building set by itself in a beautiful late-summer garden, complete with a large koi pond. Kagome squinted out at the red-lacquered support columns trimmed with gold as Fuchi bore her up the short flight of wooden stairs and through the heavy wooden doors, also framed in rich glossy red paint.
 
Inside, the building gave every sign of having been recently opened after being closed up for a very long time. The wooden corridor planks had been recently polished; the pleasant scent of beeswax tickled her nose. The shoji screens were framed in red-painted wood that showed brighter patches where the colour had been touched up. Tatami mats were freshly laid in the main room and were a pale golden colour; they squeaked faintly under Fuchi's tabi as he carried her towards a futon surrounded by lacquered screens and canopied in silken netting.
 
With Ume fussing around him like a mother hen, Fuchi carefully set Kagome down on the tatami, stepped back, and saluted formally. “Saya and I will take up our positions, my lady; our numbers will be augmented when Tsu and Kohire return with your lord this evening.”
 
“Thank you, Fuchi-kun. I appreciate your kindness.” Kagome managed a small bow, but had to be steadied by Ume when it appeared she would topple over. She willingly gave in when the teen told her in no uncertain terms she was having a nap, and gratefully collapsed into the futon as soon as her damp hair was neatly braided. Being weak like this is going to drive me crazy… I guess Tenseiga couldn't recreate my blood. Crap… I hope I get Fenik back soon… and my powers! What's up with that? Even knowing that Sesshomaru would be waiting when she woke up didn't stop her from falling fast asleep almost before Ume finished tucking her in and closing the screens around the bed.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
It was mid-afternoon when she woke up; blinking slowly, Kagome studied her surroundings and realized that while her body still ached like the worst case of influenza she'd ever had, she could see even better than just that morning… and her throat didn't hurt at all. I wonder how long it will take before my eyesight is completely normal again? I really hope that the poison didn't mess up my `battle-sight'; I'd hate to have to go through all that again.
 
“My lady? Are you awake? Sesshomaru-sama wishes to see you after your meal.” The message delivered by Ume's soft voice caused her stomach to twist a little, but there was no way out of it.
 
“Let's get this show on the road, then. Shouldn't keep him waiting…”
 
Ume propped her up with several cushions and allowed her to try feeding herself; that went fairly well as long as she only had to deal with a spoon. Her body's weakness made her chopsticks still a bit of a challenge to co-ordinate, but she still managed a couple of bites before admitting defeat. Ume chuckled that she was more stubborn than a toddler as she finished the job and cleaned her up.
 
Just as Ume was stacking the dishes, Momiji swept in with yet another loaded tray and closely followed by an offended-looking Gitoumaru loaded down with more cushions and a low table under one arm. “Ah, Kagome-sama… hurry and get dressed. Sesshomaru-sama will arrive shortly and you must look presentable.”
 
Kagome arched an eyebrow, but held her tongue. He's seen me at my worst; covered in bear oni guts last year and my own blood the other day… a clean kimono will be a novelty, I'm sure. Out of a chest stored against a wall, Ume produced two more soft layers to go over the white kosode she already had on, and they retreated behind the screens to finish readying her for company. When she stepped back out, leaning heavily on Ume's arm for balance, Momiji gave her a critical once-over while Gitoumaru's glance was far more appreciative.
 
Her hair had been twisted up and secured with tortoiseshell combs, and a soft green kimono set off the pale rose and white layers underneath. A silvery obi tied the whole ensemble together; Kagome faintly wondered where her faithful old red-and-gold sash had disappeared to.
 
“Nicely done, Ume-san; she looks very elegant. Gitoumaru-kun, quit goggling like a love-struck frog, or you will undoubtedly have a frosty reception from Inuyasha-sama.” Momiji swatted the youth and he dropped his eyes as a dark blush turned his vivid blue markings an interesting shade of wine-purple. The demoness finished plumping the cushions she'd built into a sort of nest and arranged the table to hand before calling over Kagome.
 
Ume enthroned her among the cushions and then arranged a pot of tea, two cups and a dish of ripe peaches arrived. Momiji tucked a blanket around her legs and draped a napkin over her lap while Ume peeled the fruit for her. Sesshomaru arrived just as she was being fed a fragrantly juicy slice.
 
He swept in wearing a rich deep-red and black patterned kimono with white hakama, but her attention was riveted on her sword hilt protruding out of his obi next to Tenseiga as well as a lumpy package he carried in his hand. With as much elegance as she could muster with peach juice trickling down her chin, Kagome inclined her head to the taiyoukai.
 
“Good afternoon, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
He looked at her for a long moment, then ever so slightly bowed his own silver head. “Kagome-sama.” He seated himself a respectful distance away, giving her some space, and set the bundle down first before drawing her sheathed sword out of his obi and laying it next to the package. While he organized himself, Ume poured tea and withdrew discretely to the far corner of the room where she pulled a piece of embroidery out of her sleeve and set to work. Momiji bustled Gitoumaru over to the doors, where he was admonished to `sit and be still' during the conversation before she exited the room. Kagome heard her chivvying the guardsmen out in the corridor.
 
Turning her attention to Sesshomaru, she watched him carefully while waiting for his next move. He gazed at her expressionlessly until she dropped her eyes. “Forgive me, Sesshomaru-sama, but my eyesight still bothers me.”
 
“That is to be expected. Shall we begin?”
 
She sighed, feeling very weary and definitely not up to matching wits with a curious… and determined… taiyoukai. I'm going to kill Sessaki for not giving me any warning! Slipping into defensive mode by default, she squared her shoulders and said, “I will endeavour to answer you as truthfully as possible, but please be aware that there are some things that I simply cannot tell you because doing so may contravene my standing orders.” Name, rank and serial number ain't gonna cut it, but I have to at least try to limit the potential damage.
 
Sesshomaru quirked an eyebrow. “Well spoken. Let us begin with your sword. What is its provenance?”
 
“It was given to me by the Emperor upon being appointed to the post of Celestial Bodyguard; it is named `Fenikkusuken'. It bears no maker's mark and is apparently at least four hundred years old.”
 
“Why does it give every appearance of `knowing' the Tenseiga and the Tetsusaiga?”
 
“I… cannot answer that, sir.” She added the rank without thinking; his nostrils flared like he was picking up a scent.
 
“You know,” he accused flatly.
 
He can probably tell by my scent if I try to lie… “I do, my lord, but I cannot say.”
 
“Very well… I will find out one way or the other. Now… your armour.” He opened the package and exposed the heavily damaged cuirass that had been mercifully cleaned since she last wore it. “This material is very unusual, and unlike anything that I have examined before. My armourer tells me it is impossible to duplicate using our current methods.” Kagome went pale as he continued silkily, “I detect the presence of my own youkai in this garment… yet I am sure that the day of your injury is the first time I have touched it.”
 
Her heart was in her throat, and the blood… what little there was of it left in her body… pounded in her ears, but Sesshomaru was not quite finished trying to do her in with a heart attack. “I have come to suspect that the `emperor you serve' is not the one currently enthroned in Kyoto.”
 
I don't have any options… Sighing, she gave a curt nod. “He is not.”
 
The taiyoukai was silent, considering. We youkai live for centuries… is it possible? In the pause, Kagome took a sip of tea, trying to calm her nerves… and then he nearly caused her to drop the cup. “Are there many demons in service to the Imperial house?”
 
“I…er…” She licked her lips and tried to think rationally and quickly; neither was going well. “Please don't glare at me like that. I have to assess all possible repercussions…”
 
His eyes were intense. “Am I your `commanding officer'?”
 
This time she really jumped, then quickly realized that gesture told him more than any words and mentally groaned. “Assume nothing, my lord.”
 
“That is not an answer.”
 
“I'm not authorized to tell you; I'm sorry.”
 
“Then I will assume that my suspicions are correct; that would also explain why you are so foolishly unafraid of me.” He leaned forward, his eyes boring into hers.
 
Kagome swallowed hard. “You desire Naraku's destruction as much as we do, sir. Would you harm the other component of the weapon that will destroy him?”
 
“A fragile weapon.” He studied her very intently. “A human wearing armour woven with a taiyoukai's demonic power, bearing a weapon that calls out to other `fangs'… protected by a spectral dog… the House of the West must still exist.”
 
“It does.”
 
“Who is its head?”
 
She looked him directly in the eye. “An honourable man.”
 
He had the audacity to smirk. “A paragon, then. When does the final battle against Naraku take place?”
 
“I don't know. The information I am given is heavily filtered; there are concerns that if I had foreknowledge of events, I may attempt to alter them… and the outcome of the Final Battle irretrievably changed.”
 
His expression became briefly withdrawn as he considered this. “Hm.”
 
Kagome nodded earnestly, watching him carefully. “I'm sure that this exact situation… my injury, I mean… was what my commander had in mind.”
 
“Naraku's destruction is not absolute?”
 
She chewed her lip, trying to remember what Sessaki had said that astonishing day he'd revealed himself to her. “There was no way for the survivors to be sure…” Then a truly horrifying thought occurred to her. What if… Naraku only disappeared from this time? What if he somehow escaped through the Well just before it sealed? Oh, gods… I really don't want to think about that right now! Pulling herself out of those dangerously spiralling thoughts, she returned her attention to the silent taiyoukai.
 
Sesshomaru appeared deep in thought. “The survivors…? You are not among them?”
 
With difficulty, she pulled herself together. “I am told that I was severely injured, but was pulled through the portal before my demise could be confirmed.”
 
He cocked his head on the side. “Does Inuyasha know this?”
 
“No, my lord… he does not.” Kagome was not sure that she liked the hard glitter in his yellow eyes and stiffly added, “This conversation is between us, Sesshomaru-sama… and is over immediately if you think to use the information unwisely.” His glance flickered; she jumped on it. “Do you wish to destroy our alliance already? Wasn't protecting Rin your goal?” she demanded.
 
He scorched her with a look, and primly adjusted his already-immaculate kimono… a gesture so reminiscent of Sessaki that she immediately settled down. “Securing this fortress is my goal; Rin's safety is therefore assured.”
 
Kagome took another sip of tea, eyeing him over the rim of her cup. If he spills this to Inuyasha… that would not be pretty… I have to trust him…
 
“Are you truly from Edo?”
 
“Yes.” Whew! Finally a question I can answer!
 
“But… not Edo as it exists now.”
 
Ulp. Kagome began to tremble as her heart raced. Damn, damned, damnable! Maybe I could fake a faint…? He keeps this up, I won't have to actdammit… “No,” she whispered.
 
There was a silken shift, and he was very, very close, his youkai reaching out to envelop her and causing her own power to rise… or not, dammit!… in response. Clawed fingers forced her chin up; he studied her with a predatory yellow gaze. “If not the Edo of now, little miko… how far from your Emperor are you?”
 
She closed her eyes and whimpered; his fingers moved from her chin to her throat, deceivingly gentle with their implied threat. I'm so fucking screwed… “F-five hundred years…”
 
“Impossible.” Claw tips pricked her skin.
 
“Why would I lie?” she asked quietly, aware of the warmth of his fingertips.
 
“Five hundred…” He shook his head in disbelief. “How?”
 
I'm in over my head already… “A portal brought me to this time the very night I graduated from the Imperial Military Academy almost a year and a half ago.”
 
“A portal… such as the black pearl that gives access to my father's tomb?”
 
Kagome thought carefully. “I suppose so… but the portal I use is a permanent structure.”
 
“How did you know of it?”
 
“It is located on the grounds of my family's shrine.”
 
His eyes narrowed. “Continue.”
 
“I was summoned into the portal by the warrior-miko Midoriko…”
 
“My father knew of this miko,” Sesshomaru interrupted, withdrawing his claws and moving out of her personal space. “She was exceptionally powerful, but disappeared after a battle that raged for several days.”
 
“The Shikon Jewel is formed from her heart; she sealed the demons she fought inside it with her own soul. I carried the Jewel inside my own body until the night Midoriko brought me here.”
 
“How was the Jewel removed from you?”
 
“A centipede youkai tore it out of my shoulder; Inuyasha saved my life and then promptly tried to take it from me.”
 
You released him from the sealing spell? They can only be removed by the one that sets it…”
 
“Or that person's reincarnation,” she responded flatly. He studied her intently, recognizing the implications.
 
“I have heard of a priestess that wanders the land, smelling of graveyard soil… dead but undead…” he ventured.
 
“That is Kikyo. Naraku's trickery caused Inuyasha's sealing and her own death.”
 
“Is she an ally?”
 
“Not… exactly. Her role is somewhat ambiguous.” Please don't ask me any more! she silently pleaded, and he seemed to back off… but only for a moment. An instant later, she cried out as she was shrouded in a crackling, burning green vapour. His youkai…? Her body on fire, she thrashed blindly… just as suddenly, the attack dissipated. Violently shaking, she lost her ability to sit upright and crumpled down among the scattered cushions.
 
Panting so hard that her whole body shook in time with her laboured breathing, she raised her head to meet Sesshomaru's stony, bleeding-red gaze. “Wh-why…?” His hair twisted around him on the currents of his energy; she was dimly aware of Ume and Gitoumaru supplying a horrified audience, but knew they did not dare interfere.
 
“You are useless to me as you are now.” Her sword was tossed into her lap; moving slowly because her body refused to respond any faster, she gathered the weapon against her chest. A moment after that, his demonic power collided with her again and she screamed.
 
The shoji came off its tracks with a crash, and Momiji was between them, her own youkai flaring brilliantly as she bared her fangs at Sesshomaru. “That is enough, my lord! I thought you wished for her recovery, not to impede it?”
 
He rose to his feet, his youkai retracting, sparing a brief glance at the gasping, sweating woman shivering on the tatami. “She is as helpless as any other human right now; keep her under close guard.” Turning on his heel, he stalked from the room. Momiji glared furiously after him before dropping to her knees and gathering Kagome in her arms.
 
Arrogantthoughtlessargh! What in all the hells was he trying to prove, my lady?” She tenderly brushed Kagome's bangs off her face, a soothing purr rumbling from her throat as if she were calming a frightened pup.
 
“He… wanted to see… if I could… defend myself… I think…” Kagome gasped out, her vision darkening as her rapid, shallow breaths failed to provide enough oxygen to her brain… and then she finally did faint several minutes too late to spare her the full ordeal.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
A dirty, tired and hungry hanyou pulled up outside the perimeter gates of the fortress long after midnight, staring up at the massive stone foundation walls gleaming dully in the starlight, a mixture of dread and anticipation warring in his gut. This is the very spot… in his imagination, the late-summer dried grass and bare pavement took on a thick coating of snow and the night-breeze became a harsh wind… Ah-Un danced a bit under him, the creature's talons clicking on the paving stones of the approach, anxious for the warmth of the stables. Two heads twisted to look enquiringly back at their rider, who continued to worry his lip with a sharp fang. Behind him, Inuyasha heard the dual `thumps' as Tsu and Kohire landed their mounts.
 
The hanyou paused only a moment longer lost in the pain of the past, but his need to find Kagome quickly overrode the trepidation he felt in entering the fortress he had left as a very small, frightened child. Swinging down from Ah-Un's back, he caught the bridle of the head closest to him. “Thanks for the ride, fella.” While one head bumped against his chest, the other cheekily lipped one of his ears before leaping skyward. Inuyasha scowled and wiped off his furry appendage as he watched the tenbaryu soar up over the ramparts before pulling a sheathed Tetsusaiga out of his sash.
 
“Wait, Inuyasha-sama… allow us to be your honour guard.” Kohire and Tsu slapped their mounts to send them on to the stables after Ah-Un and hurried to flank him; he found their now-familiar presence to be steadying.
 
Striding up to the gates, he took a deep breath and used the pommel to rap sharply on the heavy, iron-bound wood. “Oi! Open up in there… or these gates are coming down!”
 
One side creaked open, and then a breast-plate clad sentry snapped to attention. “Enter at will, Inuyasha-sama. We have been expecting you…”
 
The hanyou grunted and bounced through the gate into a barbican while the first sentry hallooed up to his counterpart on the inner battlements. The smells… still the same… inu-youkai tenbaryu fire-ratthe stables, the kitchens…. The aromas from that last building, as faint as they were, made his stomach rumble. He shook off his stomach's need as the even more formidable secondary gate cracked open, and another guard indicated they were to pass, saluting as he did so. Another courtyard… then his brother glided from the shadows, a slender figure dressed boldly in red, black and white.
 
Inuyasha was just rattled enough by the assault of familiar sights and scents on his senses to be rude instead of cautious. “Where the hell is she, Sesshomaru?”
 
The taiyoukai stared him down, his nostrils wrinkling. “In the Chief Wife's pavilion. The bath water is still warm.”
 
The Chief Wife's… what the hell? What's the asshole up to? Glaring at Sesshomaru, he dodged around him and headed deeper into the fortress proper, Tsu and Kohire dogging his steps. Once out of range of the taiyoukai, he took a surreptitious sniff of his juban and grimaced. Maybe a quick stop at the bath-house wouldn't be a bad idea, after all… that river I jumped in this morning obviously didn't help with the snake gutsno, first I need to see Kagome.
 
The guards they encountered along the way were obviously expecting him, as they saluted respectfully and stood aside. At one point, his memory failed him and he hesitated between two corridors until Tsu silently indicated the left-hand one. Arriving at the entry to the once-familiar garden, he had to stop for a moment at the sight of the small but elegant pavilion because his vision suddenly blurred. Mother… Blinking hard, he strode down the raked gravel path and cleared the steps in a single bound, his nose already straining to detect Kagome's scent. Kohire reached for the door, bowing, and he entered the building he had been born in for the first time in almost two centuries. Two leather-clad guards came to attention; they flanked the dark-red door that he knew as well as his own fire-rat.
 
“Inuyasha-sama would visit his lady,” Tsu quietly intoned, and the guards bowed respectfully before stepping aside.
 
He paused, his hand on the shoji, and then took a deep breath before opening it as noiselessly as possible. The large room was empty except for a tumbled pile of cushions, a small table… and a richly-screened, canopied futon; the tatami mats muffled his bare feet as his nose led him unerringly across the space towards a gap between the silken walls.
 
Movement in a darkened corner had him spinning to face it, his hand on Tetsusaiga. Eyes glowed in the gloom, and then a young female inu-youkai padded forward, bowing deeply, her braided hair sliding over her shoulder. Sesshomaru gave her a ladies' maid? Nodding curtly, he gestured for the girl to leave; she bowed again and slipped from the room.
 
He took another deep breath and slipped between the screens, her scent filling his nostrils as his eyes adjusted to the deeper shadows within. Kagome dreamed gently, her outline softened by the sheer fabric of the canopy. There were assorted cushions scattered around her head; obviously, she had trouble finding one that suited her as a pillow. One arm was flung up over her head and the other folded over her waist. Her dark hair had been braided and the length coiled over the edge of the futon, her shadowed face turned away from him. Parting the screening canopy at its embroidered edges, he stepped inside and silently knelt on the mats beside the futon, suddenly conscious of his filthy hakama. Inhaling deeply, he drank in both the scent and sight of his beloved Kagome, warm and alive… overcome by relief, he couldn't stop himself; laying Tetsusaiga aside, he bent over and brushed her lips with a kiss.
 
It wasn't enough; bracing his hands on either side of her shoulders, he leant in and kissed the crook of her neck, then paused, his mouth open, breathing in her warmth. He followed his nose up her throat, skimming his lips over her skin to the curve of her jaw, then touched the tip of his tongue to her pulse. She smells so cleanso good… Softly nuzzling her ear, he felt the flutter of her eyelashes against his cheek as she stirred, and he pulled back to watch her awaken, his heart so full of happiness he thought it might burst.
 
Her eyes slowly opened and she blinked languidly. Misty silvered pools focussed on his face and a soft smile spread across her features. “Inuyasha…” His name came out as a sigh, and then her hand came up to touch his cheek stripe. He turned into her palm, kissing it, and then tenderly cupped her chin, running a trembling thumb over her lips. Her other hand ran a handful of silver through her fingers, tightened, and pulled him down to her.
 
Koishii…” he whispered, and then lost himself in the heat, the wetness, the welcome of her mouth. They kissed for a long time, exploring and reacquainting themselves with each other's tastes and textures; he reluctantly pulled away, the decision he'd finally made on the trip only this afternoon tugging him away from her side. It better be worth it, or I'll skin the bastard as soon as our truce is over… Inuyasha delicately stroked her cheek, pressing kisses across her brow and down the bridge of her nose; Kagome giggled softly, and the sound lightened his mood. He was suddenly very tired, and wanted for nothing more than to curl himself around her and sleep in her calming presence. “I have to go, bitch of my heart…” Her fingers instantly tightened in his hair; he gently disentangled them, kissing each tip as he freed himself. “I'll be right back, I promise.” The yearning look on her face weakened his resolve, but he permitted himself a final lingering kiss before he rose to his feet, once again taking up the Tetsusaiga.
 
“Inuyasha? Where are you going?” she whispered; he noticed her fingers were worrying the hair bracelets wound around her wrist.
 
“To find the bath house; I'm a little ripe.” Winking, he backed out of the canopy and paused to look at her again through the sheer material, her silver eyes glowing faintly.
 
“Please… hurry back, koibito…” There was an undertone in her voice that caught at him. She's worriedbut not scared. Nodding, he blew her a kiss, and slipped back out through the screens. As he reached the shoji, it slid open and the young girl bowed to him.
 
He tapped her shoulder. “Your name, whelp?”
 
“Ume, Inuyasha-sama.” Her eyes met his, slid away to his cheek markings and then dropped respectfully.
 
“Who assigned you to my mate?”
 
“Momiji-san.”
 
“Good enough. I'll return shortly; move your bed out of here while I'm gone.”
 
“Hai, Inuyasha-sama.”
 
He accepted her bow before moving past into the corridor. Tsu and Kohire leapt to their feet; the other two snapped to attention. He eyed the unfamiliar male inu-youkai; the dark-haired one saluted formally and bowed. “I am Fuchi, my lord, and this is Saya. We are honoured to protect your mate in your absence.”
 
“You're not excused yet; I have business with Sesshomaru.” He turned his attention to his two flagging escorts. “You two, however, are dismissed; pretty tough trying to sleep on those critters' backs.”
 
“Thank you, Inuyasha-sama. We will report for duty in the morning.”
 
Nodding, he headed down the corridor with Tsu and Kohire at his heels; once out of the private quarters, the two weary guardsmen saluted and peeled off in the direction of the barracks. For his part, his feet seemed to remember the way to the private garden bath house without any help from his brain, which was good because he was too busy soaking up all the sights and smells, alert for danger in the place of his birth. Entering the bath house garden, he came up short at the sound of his brother's voice.
 
“Here.” Sesshomaru tossed a bundle of silk to the stunned hanyou, who recovered enough to not fumble it. “Leave your clothing on the bench for the laundry.” He turned away, his hair glowing in the faint light of the waning moon.
 
“Wait…” The taiyoukai paused at Inuyasha's strangled tone and looked back over his shoulder. The hanyou took a deep breath, then swiftly yanked the Tetsusaiga out of his obi and wordlessly held it out to Sesshomaru.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж