InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Phoenix Blood ( Chapter 68 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. All characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan Publishing, and VIZ is in the dog-pile somewhere, too.
 
A/N: The `Western Fortress' in this story is based on Oda Nobunaga's Azuchi Castle. In its heyday, it comprised a graceful multi-storied central keep (donjon is the European term) featuring a stone base and plastered upper stories topped by elegant curved roofs. This redoubt was then surrounded by networks of pavilions and courtyards protected within a series of stone walls guarded by secondary towers.
 
If you are familiar with IY movie 3, `Swords of an Honourable Ruler', the central tower of the fortress is virtually identical to the one commandeered by Takemaru of Setsuna while under the influence of the HellSword So'ounga.
 
Check out this link for more info, replacing the () with appropriate symbols: http(colon, double slash)en(dot)wikipedia(dot)org(slash)wiki(slash)Azuchi_Castle
 
Bouquets to Del Kaiden for inadvertently providing a name for this chapter during a conversation about vampires!
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 68: Phoenix Blood
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
One week before the New Moon
 
“Please, Sesshomaru-sama! I want to go with you! Please?” The warriors readying their mounts in the stable yard of the fortress suppressed grins as the small, brightly-clad human girl bounced up and down before her impassive guardian, her hands clasped to her heart and her dark eyes pleading eloquently. The toad-imp stood to the side, his hands shoved deeply into his sleeves and grumbling sotto voce at the indignity of being left behind `like a child'.
 
Sesshomaru gazed down at Rin's eager face, his expression controlled but his yellow eyes soft. Beside him, Ah-Un shifted on restless talons, eager to take flight. “Attend to your lessons with Momiji-san,” he quietly commanded. The little girl visibly drooped; a swirl of indigo silks stepped up behind her and a long black braid brushed the ground as clawed hands dropped lightly onto her shoulders.
 
“Sesshomaru-sama is going on a war patrol, Rin-chan; you will be safer here.” Rin knew better than to contradict her elder or pull a pout, but she still turned mournful eyes up to the tall taiyoukai. He reached out to briefly rest his clawed hand on her tousled head, then turned to gracefully leap onto the tenbaryu's broad back. Ah-Un snorted, both heads bowing to accept farewell pats from the child before the great beast crouched on the beaten earth of the stable yard and launched itself into the air. The other four members of the patrol went airborne in rapid succession, and then circled the central keep once before angling off into the clear morning sky.
 
Rin waved madly until her arm ached, then sighed heavily as she dropped it back to her side. Her shoulders were gently squeezed, and as she dejectedly turned to face the motherly demoness entrusted with her care, Momiji spoke kindly. “Come along, Rin-chan, and we'll have breakfast with Anzu-san. You, too, Jaken-sama. No sense moping around out here where you'll only step in dragon-dung.” The imp shot Momiji a poisonous look before stomping off in the direction of the dining hall, his back very rigid.
 
“Yes, Momiji-san…” With a final yearning look skyward, Rin obediently took the proffered hand and accompanied the dark-haired inu-youkai inside the ancient wooden building, its upturned eaves gleaming in the morning light. Behind them, grooms quickly moved to clean up the odoriferous droppings and ready the stable yard for the daily training sessions of the guardsmen.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Three days later, early evening
 
Ah-Un's reins slack in his grasp, Sesshomaru turned his face into the wind and deeply inhaled. The past few days had seen several gory exterminations of low-level demons by his four-man escort, and he was troubled. We have destroyed as many demons in three days as we usually encounter over the course of several weeks. He also couldn't help but be slightly disgruntled at the evidence of just how powerful Naraku had been in his previous form, if his malign influence had kept so much demonic trash under the rocks where it belonged.
 
This late-summer evening, along with the fine chill in the breeze hinting at the onset of autumn, he detected another scent that was almost as unwelcome as Naraku's and briefly wondered if he could divert his escort's attention before they…
 
“That's an incredible battle-aura!”
 
Too late. Sesshomaru mentally sighed, watching Tsu and Kohire out of the corner of his eye as the two young guardsmen sniffed the wind, their noses practically quivering. The moment after that, his own scalp prickled as the very air seemed to crackle, the men reacting with startled yelps as their mounts sheered away, screeching and snorting until they came to rest at a lower altitude. There was a sound akin to a thunderclap in the distance, and then another surge of energy washed over them, coming from just over the next ridge.
 
Kohire struggled to calm his tenbaryu while trying to keep his voice low as he came within hearing range of Tsu. “What the hell was that? I've only felt power of that level when Sesshomaru-sama takes the field with Tokijin.” The two guardsmen craned their necks to look up at their lord, and were stopped cold by the sight of not only the taiyoukai but also the dark-haired twins flanking him wreathed in sizzling auras. The green-scaled tenbaryu ridden by Ita twitched nervously but held relatively still; the other lashed its tail and keened in agitation, held in check only by the will of its rider.
 
“My lord… they appear to be under heavy attack.” Ieji ventured, his low voice carrying on the breeze to the watching inu-youkai.
 
Sesshomaru slapped the reins against Ah-Un's neck and sent the tenbaryu soaring towards the distant ridge, Ieji and Ita hot on his heels. Tsu watched the trio for a moment, making sure they were all out of hearing range before wondering, “Twinned heads fore and twin heads aft; wonder if that's how they qualified for the job?”
 
“You'll be short a head if any of them hear you say that.” Clucking to their scaly mounts, the two guardsmen charged full-tilt after their rapidly-moving comrades.
 
The sounds and smells of violent, messy death filled the air even before they crested the ridge; Sesshomaru reined in the tenbaryu above the crest of the ridge as the rest of the patrol caught up. Brought to bay on a small plateau, their backs to both a deep chasm as well as their audience, the hanyou and his pack were beset by a mixed horde of demons. Most of their opponents were merely animated bits of flesh, but there were a few larger and more fully-formed creatures writhing their way through the throng. Sunlight flashed on the slayer's huge weapon as she skilfully whirled it through the mass from the back of her massive, flame-swirled neko-youkai, but it was the monk who caught their attention. Mounted on a golden-scaled, black-maned tenbaryu, he left a path of destruction in their wake as they tore through the menacing cloud.
 
“That's Okibi! How did that human come into possession of her?” gasped Kohire.
 
Ieji shot him a sideways look. “She chose the monk as her master when we encountered Inuyasha-sama and his pack after the hyakki-komori were destroyed.” There was something to the set of Sesshomaru's jaw that discouraged further discussion of the wayward tenbaryu, so the guardsmen spread out into a sickle-shaped formation, their hands going to their weapons in anticipation of an order to join the fray.
 
While the slayer and the monk dealt with the aerial attack, the hanyou and the miko staved off the ground assault. A small violet-pink point of light flew out into the demonic mass, disintegrating a swathe of enemies and bringing the scent of burning flesh on the wind. Five long, deep gashes in the earth smoked gently, and the jumbled litter of quivering chunks covering the plateau attested to the `Wind Scar's power. The Tetsusaiga glinted in the sun, and then whirled faster than the eye could follow, wiping out another howling opponent.
 
“Should we render assistance?” Ita asked, assessing the size of the remaining horde with a professional eye.
 
“Unnecessary.” Sesshomaru began to turn Ah-Un's heads away, intending to leave the area before Inuyasha unleashed another strike or the monk opened the `Vortex'. Ita followed immediately, but Ieji lingered for a moment, hoping to finally see the fabled fang in action. He was the one who spotted the threat, and his shouted warning snapped several sets of cat's-slit eyes in the direction of his pointing claw.
 
They were too far away to do anything but watch.
 
The miko had fallen back behind the hanyou as he raised the Tetsusaiga; the fire-cat and the tenbaryu responded to the signal by carrying their riders higher into the air, and incidentally taking them out of position to intervene. As Inuyasha swung, Kagome turned away to flame and notch an arrow… and the enemy struck on her blind side.
 
A massive snake youkai had anchored its tail around a promontory and gingerly worked its way along a narrow shelf on the cliff face just below the lip of the plateau and then waited, unnoticed, its forked tongue flickering rapidly as it scented its prey. Just as the `Wind Scar' screamed away, the snake surged up over the edge of the cliff in a lightning-fast movement and clamped its jaws around the miko's body. The distinctive visceral crunch carried across the distance as the creature punched its katana-length fangs right through Kagome's armoured torso.
 
Time stood still.
 
In a split-second of frightening clarity, Sesshomaru watched the miko's cuirass come alive with crackling energy, sparks arcing and sizzling furiously against the snake's mouth, giving every appearance that her armour was trying to free her from the creature's grasp. Ignoring what must be considerable pain, the snake's jaws chewed forcefully as it injected more venom into its prey… but Sesshomaru instantly saw the slim chance for her survival. Huge melon-sized drops of clear poison formed on the tips of the blood-streaked fangs protruding from Kagome's back… outside her body instead of inside where it would rapidly corrode her life.
 
Even from that distance, he also saw the girl's eyes widen and her mouth drop open as the first shock of the attack struck her speechless, and then she dropped her gaze to identify what was causing her unbearable pain. One faltering hand came to rest on the snake's snout and seemed to caress the black and green scales as her brain worked to comprehend her plight… and then understanding, agony and fury flashed over her features. Dropping her bow and ripping her sword out of its scabbard, the girl gripped the weapon with both hands, raising it as high above her head as she could stretch… then buried the gleaming blade right up to the hilt into the snake's eye.
 
The youkai reared up, shaking its head violently as if to rid itself of the pain, and then opened its mouth in a soundless hiss. The miko's body slid down the snake's fangs and hung briefly on the very tips before dropping heavily to the ground below. The watchers winced sympathetically as she bounced slightly… and then rolled right over the edge of the cliff.
 
Time snapped forward.
 
Sesshomaru moved.
 
Inuyasha had just smelled Kagome's blood and the snake's venom, had just begun to turn when a blast of familiar youkai plummeted over the lip of the plateau, accompanied by an ear-cracking sonic boom. Stunned, he blinked dumbly at the spasming coils writhing along the ground, trying to comprehend its abrupt appearance. The hell? A… a snake? Where the fuck did that come from? The creature's body twitched spastically in its death throes and he wondered how he could have missed something that big in the vicinity. Unfamiliar voices shouting both warnings and battle cries drew his attention upwards, and he stared uncomprehendingly at four newcomers to the battle who had joined with Kirara and Okibi in furiously tearing apart their opponents.
 
A violent thrashing movement of the snake's head brought it closer to him than he liked and he was about to leap away… until he saw the familiar sword hilt embedded in the dying creature's eye. Horror gripped him; he looked frantically around, sniffing desperately for Kagome's scent… and then at that moment, his heart slowed in his chest. It nearly drove him to his knees; instead, he screamed her name and threw himself at the snake youkai.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Sesshomaru strained the very limits of his speed to catch up with the miko's body as it dropped like a stone towards the riverbed far below, trailing droplets of blood. He also adroitly dodged a straggling flight of arrows that had parted company with her quiver and were falling much more slowly due to their lack of weight, while never taking his eyes off his quarry.
 
She fell headfirst, face upturned, black hair streaming wildly upward as if desperately reaching for safety. Her eyes were closed and her limbs slack in a parody of relaxation; the wind whistling past his ears prevented him from picking up a heart beat. The ground was coming up very fast before he managed to catch her under his arm and drag her against his hip, his hand protectively cupping the back of her head. He then curled himself around her, mindful of the spikes on his breastplate and slowed their rate of descent until they touched down with barely a bump on the river bank. An awkward hop and they were both out of range of the razor-tipped arrows that thudded into the ground a few moments later.
 
Blowing his bangs out of his eyes, he considered how to accomplish what he needed to do next, and found some dark humour in the fact that the girl currently sprawled messily across his lap would have appreciated the presence of his missing arm, since it would make the return trip far more comfortable for her. Allowing her bleeding, perforated body to slide onto the ground, he quickly stepped over her and then knelt to awkwardly scoop her up into the crook of his arm, cursing the presence of her quiver but not daring to take the time to remove it.
 
Her eyelashes fluttered; slowly her eyes opened, revealing pupils so widely dilated that her irises were reduced to a silvery rim. Blinking slowly, she seemed to focus momentarily… and she frowned, raising her hand towards his face. Sesshomaru watched with trepidation, unable to protect himself if she were to attempt to purify him. Preparing for painful contact, he was pleasantly surprised when her fingertips rested lightly on his cheek stripes. Kagome blinked at him few more times, her eyes narrowed in concentration, before slurring, “I mus' b' halloo-cinatin'.” A moment later, her hand fell away as she slipped back into oblivion.
 
I am questioning my sanity as well, I can assure you. Carefully taking a firm grip on her limp form, mindful of the blood and fluids drenching his pelt and hakama, he launched himself upward.
 
When he came to rest on the edge of the plateau, he was greeted by the sight of a gore-smeared hanyou hacking what remained of the snake into very small pieces, his aura boiling around him. Glancing quickly upward, he noticed his patrol keeping a wary distance from his brother as well as the neko-youkai and the tenbaryu… until Okibi recognized her herd-mates and chirped a greeting. Ieji politely hailed the monk ensconced on her back, and the tension between the two groups lessened rapidly. Movement on the ground snapped his attention back to the fact he cradled a severely wounded human female mated to the less-than-stable hanyou before him who showed every sign of being on verge of going full youkai. Sesshomaru remained crouched, deliberately appearing as non-threatening as possible.
 
Inuyasha spun around, his vivid scarlet eyes and dark blue cheek stripes stark against his pale skin, then scrambled headlong towards his injured mate. Sesshomaru braced himself for impact, but that proved unnecessary. Instead, the hanyou dropped Tetsusaiga and knelt, burying his face in Kagome's exposed skin; a sound suspiciously like a whine leaked out of his throat. Over and over, Inuyasha nuzzled Kagome's face and neck, whimpering plaintively, pleading without words for her to wake up. Sesshomaru watched this display of affection and need, his chest feeling oddly tight. Finally, conscious that time was running out for the miko as her breathing became shallow and blood continued to soak into his clothing, he made a decision that he was fairly sure he would live to regret fairly quickly.
 
“She will not die.” Inuyasha's head flew up, and there was such a stricken look on the hanyou's face that the knot in Sesshomaru's chest tightened. He has lost everyone who has mattered to him… if his mate dies, so will he because of the bond between their souls. I cannot permit this; his life is mine to end at a time and place of my choosing once our truce expires. “I must take her to the fortress.” He saw the hesitation in his brother's expression, and the return of the old suspicion, but pressed ahead. “On my honour, she will be safe. You must decide quickly; her heart is failing.” The red receded from Inuyasha's eyes, and he gave Sesshomaru a long, penetrating look before nodding sharply, as if he couldn't trust himself to speak.
 
Exhaling, the taiyoukai calmly issued instructions to the hanyou. He will most likely not allow anyone else to approach. “Remove the quiver and wrap her in my pelt; I will be travelling at altitudes and speeds that could cause her to freeze to death.” Inuyasha took the wounded girl into his arms; Sesshomaru shrugged off the bloodied fur and draped it over her legs. Standing up, he moved protectively in front of the hanyou and gestured to his guardsmen. All four dropped out of the sky to land in front of him, quickly dismounted and knelt in the carnage, their heads bowed. “Tsu and Kohire. You will escort Inuyasha to the Western Fortress.” As he spoke, Sesshomaru loosened the tassels securing his breastplate; Ita leapt to his feet and hastened to retrieve the spike-adorned armour. Tilting his head, the taiyoukai scanned the sky for his mount; the tenbaryu responded instantly to his summons and thumped down onto the bloodied earth. “Ah-Un… you will permit this passenger.” The twin heads perked their ears at him, and as one, bobbed in acknowledgement.
 
“Sesshomaru-sama?” He turned slightly to regard the monk with a keen yellow eye as the houshi bowed deeply from his position atop the golden tenbaryu hovering just above the ground in company with the fire-cat. “We will return to Edo and report Kagome-sama's condition to her family and friends.”
 
“Ieji… Ita. You will accompany my brother's pack to their village and remain to guard it until such time as you are informed otherwise.” The two guardsmen looked a little surprised at their unusual orders, but that was nothing in comparison to the startled reaction from the slayer.
 
“Y-you are taking us under your protection?” Sango asked, her eyes wide.
 
Sesshomaru internally winced at her perceptiveness but gave a brief nod. As a demon exterminator, she undoubtedly has studied the varieties of youkai and knows the significance of this gesture for an inu-youkai. Only a few minutes into this insane turn of events, and already I have the makings of a domestic crisis on my hands. “A report on her condition will be sent as soon as possible.”
 
“Shippo will be beside himself…” Sango murmured.
 
“He will endure the news as we all must. Thank you, Sesshomaru-sama. It is a great honour to be escorted by your personal guard.” The taiyoukai very slightly inclined his head in response to the monk's respectful bow and turned to take the matter in hand… then stopped in his tracks at the sight before him.
 
Inuyasha had stripped off his haori and wrapped Kagome tenderly in the thick fur before winding her closely in the bedraggled pelt. He cradled her against his chest as if she were a fragile piece of porcelain, crooning softly as he tenderly brushed his lips over her cheeks and brow. Sesshomaru hesitated at disturbing the emotional scene, but knew Kagome's life hung suspended by a fraying thread. Her heart beat fluttered erratically as her inherent powers fought against the potentially mortal wounds, but time was short. Stepping closer, Sesshomaru lowered his voice. “She will be in Momiji-san's hands within the hour.”
 
The hanyou nodded mutely and stood to place the limp bundle into the crook of the taiyoukai's arm. While Sesshomaru shifted her into a secure position so that her head rested against his shoulder, Inuyasha stooped to pick up a sticky-looking katana and a scabbard lying on the ground. Wiping off the blade on his besmeared hakama, he returned Kagome's sword to its sheath and carefully tucked it between the layers of fur and fire-rat, bestowing a final kiss to her damp forehead. “I love you, koishii,” he whispered, tracing her cheek with a gentle claw, then searched his brother's face before murmuring, “You hold my heart in your hands.”
 
Sesshomaru gave a brief nod of acknowledgement and the hanyou stepped back. Youkai energy boiled up around the taiyoukai's form… and he was simply gone. There was a moment of stillness followed by a ground-shaking sonic boom as the watchers blinked at the narrow streak of light arrowing towards the western horizon, and then Sango threw herself from Kirara's back and ran to Inuyasha. She flung her arms around the too-quiet hanyou, hugging him fiercely.
 
“She'll be all right, Inuyasha… your brother gave us his word!”
 
Inuyasha's arms slowly came up to return the slayer's embrace as Kirara transformed to kitten-size and leapt up onto his shoulder, rubbing her muzzle against his cheek stripe and purring mightily. A moment after that, Miroku's arm wrapped around the hanyou's shoulders and squeezed, enfolding Inuyasha in the first group show of affection and support he'd ever experienced. It was too much; he hid his prickling eyes in Sango's hair and fought to control his breathing. She rubbed his back, whispering encouragement, while Miroku leant silent strength. Finally, Inuyasha was able to choke out, “We'd better get moving; I'll send word as soon as possible. Houshi… don't you dare grope my ass in front of these guys.”
 
Miroku, who had indeed dropped his hand down to rest on Inuyasha's back, twitched and then snorted before stepping away. Sango let out a nervous giggle; Inuyasha gave her a final squeeze and released her. He turned his head and brought up his hand to give Kirara a quick caress; the fire-cat mewed and tickled his chin with her twin tails before leaping to Sango's shoulder. The slayer smiled up at him before collecting Kagome's quiver from where Inuyasha had dropped it, then looked around for the silver-mounted bow. Miroku pointed at something half-buried under a wet chunk of youkai, and the weapon was quickly extracted, cleaned off on the end of Sango's sash and returned to the quiver. She held it out to Inuyasha; he nodded and slung it over his shoulder.
 
“Inuyasha-sama?” Ieji's voice held great respect. “The fortress is two to three days away from our current position; we await your command, my lord.”
 
The hanyou arched a dark eyebrow at the honorific and the implications of leadership. “I recognize you two jokers; who are these two?”
 
“I am Tsu and this is Kohire, my lord.” The one guardsman with light brown hair spoke, indicating first himself and then the dark-haired inu-youkai kneeling beside him.
 
“Keh. Stand up, all of you. Too much shit lying around here for ceremony. Ieji… Ita… anything happens to my pack, and you're gutted, do you understand?” The twin youkai nodded vigorously. “Behave yourself in Edo; you are my brother's representatives, so don't go starting any fights or seducing any girls with your `dancing' abilities.” A ghost of a smirk crossed his lips when the guardsmen blinked.
 
“Hai, Inuyasha-sama. We will not fail you.” Ita recovered first and grinned cheekily as he saluted.
 
“Better not. Don't let the runt boss you around, either… but you can help Shiori with her flying practise. She's pack, too, along with the old baba.”
 
“Hai. Houshi-sama… my lady… shall we?” Ieji gravely bowed to a solemn Miroku and bemused Sango, who returned the gesture. Okibi, who had been keeping company with their mounts, daintily picked her way through the jumbled remains to stand at Miroku's side. Kirara hopped up to perch on the tenbaryu's saddlebags while Ieji assisted first Sango and then Miroku up onto Okibi's back. Ita helped secure Sesshomaru's armour onto Kohire's saddle while Tsu held the animal steady.
 
Inuyasha watched all this with only half his attention; the other half was focussed inward on his heart beat, which was abnormally rapid. She's hanging on… barely, but she's alive. He was jolted out of his contemplation by one of Ah-Un's muzzled heads nudging his shoulder. Slowly picking up Tetsusaiga and wiping it on his sleeve, he sheathed the blade and returned it to his hip.
 
“Inuyasha… is there any way we can send word to Kagome's lady mother?” Sango asked abruptly.
 
“No.” His stomach twisted at the thought of Kioko Higurashi worrying over their absence on the upcoming night of the New Moon… and then he felt slightly ill at the thought of being at the fortress during his night of vulnerability. Fuck, damn and all seven hells. Wait a minute… she won't know how badly Kagome is hurt, but she'll call that Sessaki guy when we don't show up... bastard. He knew this was going to happen! Wait'll I get my claws into him… “Take care… all of you. If you hear anything about Naraku, send word, although I don't want you going after anything bigger than a slug-youkai on your own unless those two help you out.”
 
“My purification powers are no where near Kagome-sama's strength, so we will leave the shard-hunting until we are reunited as a group, Inuyasha.” Miroku raised his hand in salute as Ieji and Ita mounted their tenbaryu. The hanyou nodded briefly in answer to Sango's brave smile, and then they launched into the air. He watched until they disappeared over the ridge before turning to his own somewhat nervous escort.
 
“Move out. I don't want to call a halt until the lizards poop out on us and need to rest, so if you have to piss or shit, do it now.” Inuyasha sprang onto Ah-Un's back and took up the reins, then tapped one of the scaly necks with his claw. Two pairs of ears twitched towards him. “Sesshomaru used to brag about how you could spin circles around the other yearlings in the stables when I was a pup… ya still that fast, or have you slowed down in your old age?” The tenbaryu snorted with both heads, and then they were airborne so quickly Inuyasha had to slit his eyes against the headwind. Grinning, he settled more securely onto the luxuriously-appointed saddle and prepared himself for a couple of days of flight. He gave his word… he won't let her die; I have to trust him. Fuck. Of all the possible sons-of-bitches in this world, why did he have to be my brother?
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Is that…?” The look out posted on the outermost rampart shaded his eyes to squint at the brilliant pinprick of light steadily growing larger and brighter in the darkening north-western sky. Recognizing the source of the celestial object, he leaned over the battlements to bellow down at the group of archers practising below his position. “Our lord returns! Look sharp down there! Send word to Momiji-sama!” A scant moment after that, he clapped his hands over his ears as a resounding boom shook the fortifications to their very foundations… and the graceful figure of the resident taiyoukai dropped from the sky to land somewhere inside the maze of inner courtyards within the fortress.
 
The guardsman was in the process of admiring his lord's impressive abilities when the windstream of the taiyoukai's passage thundered past, bringing the scent of blood to his nostrils… a mixture of snake youkai… and human blood.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Sesshomaru-sama! Welcome home! We weren't expecting your return until….” Momiji had just gained her feet as the taiyoukai swept into the administrative pavilion, and her greetings froze on her lips at the sight and smell of both her lord as well as the bloodied bundle of fur he cradled in his arm.
 
“The infirmary. Now.”
 
Momiji blinked after him as he whirled back out leaving behind some rather unpleasant as well as unsettling odours in his wake and hastened to follow, dozens of questions forming in her mind. Just inside the entrance gates, she caught sight of him levitating up the ladder-stair leading to the infirmary located on the first floor of the massive central tower that anchored the entire fortress complex, gathered up her skirts and dashed after him.
 
Several attendants were already setting up screens to shield the hastily-prepared layers of matting, while others scurried to assemble hot water, clothes, bowls and bandages. Sesshomaru stood in the centre of the tempest until Momiji puffed into view, then called her over with an impatient toss of his head. “Remove the pelt.” She quickly moved to obey, her lord assisting her as best he could to free the unfortunate creature from the matted fur, deaf to the muttered speculation about the patient's identity from the curious observers. A leather-sheathed sword clattered to the wooden floor, but she hardly noticed once the fur wrapper was peeled away.
 
The gore-covered haori swaddled around the woman absorbed her entire attention and gave her the first clue that this patient was not the usual sort who graced her ward. It reeked of fresh snake innards, but as soon as she parted the fire-rat and breathed in the owner's scent, slightly altered from when she first met him as a newborn two hundred years before, there was no doubt in her mind to whom this garment… and therefore this female… belonged.
 
“She is known as Kagome.” Sesshomaru's voice was very flat, and it made the hairs go up on the back of her neck. “She is Inuyasha's mate; I have given my word that her life will be saved. See to it.”
 
Momiji bit her lip, her brain whirling with the implications of this revelation, then gasped in horror when the extent of the woman's injuries were fully revealed. “My lord… this is a mortal wound…”
 
“In most humans, yes.”
 
Momiji frowned in the act of studying the unfamiliar buckles securing the unusual cuirass and imprinting the woman's scent for future reference. “She smells human enough…”
 
“I will return shortly. Do not fail me, Momiji-san.” He strode towards the ladder-stair, just as one of the hovering attendants bent to retrieve the fallen katana.
 
“Sesshomaru-sama! What about… oh!” The girl dropped the weapon and leapt back as it sparked brilliant silver and shot off small red and green fireballs. Activity ground to a halt, and the women backed nervously away from the thrumming blade. Sesshomaru was taken by surprise when Tenseiga suddenly pulsed at his hip and began to keep time with the heart-beat-like vibration produced by the miko's sword. He glanced narrowly from one weapon to the other, then re-crossed the room. Stooping to grasp the weapon, he held his breath. It emitted a tiny spark, the equivalent of a startled cough, then went silent. Without another word, he turned and exited, leaving a roomful of questions eddying behind him.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
As he stormed through the shoji into his private rooms, two demons shot to their feet, sending a board and counters scattering. Casting the guilty pair a sharp glance as he laid the miko's sword on a pile of neatly-folded bedding, Sesshomaru commented, “I was under the impression that you were instructing Gitoumaru-kun in his duties as my valet, not corrupting him, Jaken.” He listened to the imp's spluttering as he lined up Tenseiga and Tokijin alongside the smaller weapon.
 
“My lord! That is… er… well… what a pleasure it is to see you so soon!” Jaken bowed so low his hat nearly scraped the tatami mats, and the cobalt-marked youth followed suit with alacrity. Sesshomaru noticed Gitoumaru's nose working overtime even though he tried to be discreet. If he truly wounded the miko all those months ago, he should recognize her blood-scent… Sure enough, the youth's eyes widened and his hand flew up to reverently touch the unusual dagger strapped to his bicep. The taiyoukai observed this gesture with grim satisfaction. She already has one ally here; good.
 
“I require fresh attire.” Gitoumaru instantly dove for the chests lining the walls of the space while Sesshomaru turned his attention to the toad-imp, who quailed slightly at the glint in his lord's eyes. “Jaken, alert the housekeeping staff to prepare the Chief Wife's room for occupancy.”
 
Considering how much havoc the miko's presence was going to wreak on his reputation, the taiyoukai still managed to thoroughly enjoy watching the imp's eyes fairly start from his head and his mouth sag open. “Ch-ch-chief W-w-wife…?”
 
“My brother's mate is a patient in the infirmary; he will join us shortly.” The imp appeared graven from stone for another long moment before tottering off, the Staff of Two Heads trailing along the floor behind him. Sesshomaru's lips twitched. He should be grateful for this; he will have someone other than Rin to complain about for a change.
 
“My lord…?”
 
He turned to regard Gitoumaru's sartorial offerings neatly displayed on the lids of the chests. “Those will do.” Deftly untying his obi, he permitted the youth to remove the rest of his armour. Shrugging off the blood-stained layers of kimono and kosode, he indicated the basin of water resting on a low wooden table next to the door. Gitoumaru silently wiped him down, then respectfully averted his eyes as the equally-filthy hakama slid to the floor. Kicking aside the red-stained pile of white silk, Sesshomaru immediately stepped into a fresh pair and waited until Gitoumaru had knotted the sash and adjusted the gathers. Sweeping his hair out of the way, he shouldered into the fresh kosode and deep violet kimono as they settled into place, then once again held still for the youth to secure the inner ties and smooth the heavy silk neatly into place before attempting the complicated obi.
 
Sesshomaru stayed Gitoumaru's fumbling hands. “Once around the waist and a simple knot only, as I am not wearing armour or a formal kimono.” The teen nodded, accomplished the simple twist, and stepped back. “Dispose of the soiled laundry, then find your father and meet me at the infirmary.”
 
The youth straightened proudly. “Yes, my lord.” He seemed about to add to that when his eye fell on something behind the taiyoukai and he emitted a panicked squeak. Sesshomaru spun around, only to reflexively duck in a very undignified manner when an explosion sent the Tokijin cart-wheeling through the air to deeply slice the wooden panelling on the opposite wall. By the fifth hell
 
“My lord… look!” Tearing his gaze away from the quivering tassel attached to Tokijin's hilt, Sesshomaru stared long and hard at the silver vapour lazily looping back and forth between the hilts of the two thrumming swords resting a hand-span apart on top of his folded futon… and knew with sudden firm conviction that somehow the miko's katana was also connected to the Western Lands. What the devil is it called? I've heard its name at least once
 
Gitoumaru squeaked again when the taiyoukai rapidly seized the Tenseiga, shoved it into his obi and then hefted the remaining weapon, contemplating the worn sharkskin grip sized for a daintier hand than his and the non-descript blade guard. Using his thumb, he carefully pushed the sheath away from the guard and inspected the metal for a maker's mark. Finding none, he scowled. The sword at his hip mildly pulsed, yanking him out of his state of perusal.
 
Return the pup to his mistress. This Tenseiga commands it.
 
Sesshomaru became aware that he was frozen in place, and being stared at by an open-mouthed teenager. Rallying his thoughts, he returned the miko's blade fully into its sheath by the simple expedient of leaning the tip into the tatami mats. He met Gitoumaru's wide-eyed gaze. “Find your father. Quickly.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Carrying the miko's weapon in his hand, Sesshomaru ascended the ladder-stairs to the infirmary level, and was immediately confronted by a large silk hanging screen emblazoned with an ascendant phoenix in full flame that instantly tugged on a corner of his memory. Now I recall… the `Phoenix Blade'… Fenikkusuken. Inordinately pleased with himself, he stepped around the screen to see a solemn Momiji placing a damp cloth on her patient's forehead. Kagome's eyes were half-open but sightless and staring; she'd been swaddled in a white yukata and covered by a quilt, her arms resting on top of the colourful fabric. Her cuirass, Inuyasha's haori and his pelt were nowhere in sight; he spared a pitying thought for the laundress handed that cleaning job. Momiji glanced up at him and slowly shook her head.
 
“I have done all that I can, my lord. The venom is overwhelming her defences; if she survives, she will most likely be blind.”
 
“She is a master archer; this is unacceptable.”
 
She bowed to placate the anger in his voice. “The toxin is extremely potent… but that is not the worst of it.”
 
“Continue.” The sword clenched in his hand sparked slightly; he realized he was in danger of cracking the sheath and forced his fingers to relax.
 
“The creature's fangs left fairly clean entry and exit wounds. Unfortunately, her lung and her bowel were perforated, and the lung has collapsed. If the venom does not kill her, the infection within her tissues most certainly will.” She tenderly wiped Kagome's pale face, thoughtfully tracing the cross-shaped scar blazoning the woman's cheek. “Her body is desperately trying to heal itself with almost demonic rapidity… and yet her blood also carries a hint of spiritual power.” Dark eyes probed Sesshomaru's expression. “What is she, my lord?”
 
Give us to her. Return the pup first.
 
Responding to the Tenseiga's command instead of Momiji's question, Sesshomaru released Fenikkusuken from its sheath and stepped around the futon to lay it at Kagome's side, lifting her limp hand to press her fingers to the cold metal. He then drew the Tenseiga.
 
Momiji gasped. “Has it come to that already, my lord? Yet… her heart still beats…”
 
Rather than admit out loud that he took orders from his sword, he instead carefully positioned the Tenseiga diagonally across Kagome's body in such a way that the hilt lay against one shoulder and the tip rested next to the opposite hip. This time, her hand twitched and slowly rose of its own accord far enough to allow her fingers to wrap around the blade.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
C-can't breathe… dark… floating… can't see… where am I? I-inuyasha? Sango? M-miroku…?
 
Kagome knew her eyes were open but it didn't really matter one way or another, since it was as black as pitch. Not again… like when Tsubaki cursed me… damn. Her whole body hurt, but the pain was particularly excruciating on the left side of her chest and her lower abdomen. What got me this time? Can't… remember…
 
Something cool brushed her forehead and her cheeks. I'm… not alone…why can't I see? Then, her right hand was moved, and her fingers touched a cold, slick surface. An anchor
 
A warm, muscled body was suddenly wrapped around her and she was pulled firmly against a broad chest. Several light kisses were rapidly pressed to her forehead before a familiar voice, full of relief, rumbled inside her mind.
 
I'm here, sweetheart. I won't let you go, I promise.
F-fenik?
Who else is allowed to snuggle you like this inside your head?
Wh-where's Midoriko?
She's here, but they took your shards.
I can't… see… you.
Her cheek was tenderly nuzzled. Nixie, I can't heal you on my own; your injuries are too severe.
What… happened?
Tell you later. Right now, the old man is gonna help me...
Old… man? Tetsu…?
Naw. The other one. He says it might hurt a bit.
I trust you.
The arms around her tightened. I'll be here the whole time, sweetheart. Me an' Riko'll look after you.
 
A heavy, narrow weight pressed diagonally across her torso, from her shoulder to her hip, and a frisson of energy tingled down her arm, allowing her to move her hand just enough to touch the foreign object.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Despite his protests, Tsu and Kohire had managed to coax the hanyou into stopping just at nightfall for a quick meal and rest. The tenbaryu had been pushed at top speed but weren't tired in the least… their riders, however, needed a break. While Inuyasha sulked against the snoozing Ah-Un's side, Tsu built a fire to cook some rice and reheat a container of stew. The two young guardsmen eyed the hanyou warily; like nearly everyone else at the fortress, they were familiar with the two-century-old story of the human princess Izayoi and her small son.
 
However, your sympathy for the hanyou cast out in the snow along with his mother depended which side of the court politics you were on. Tsu and Kohire's families happened to fall on the side sympathetic to the long-deceased Chief Wife, but it was one thing to have grown up hearing a tragic bedtime story and quite another to have the fully-grown and ornery `hero' of that story glaring at you from the other side of the fire.
 
When the food was ready, Kohire exchanged glances with Tsu and filled a bowl. Taking a spoon with him, he approached the hanyou and extended the container. “My lord? Something to keep you going until the morning…”
 
Lost in contemplation of Kagome's heartbeat in his chest that both terrified him because it was so weak, and yet encouraged him because it was still there, Inuyasha raised his hand as if to wave away the offering… until the familiar aroma of spices and seasonings that he'd recognize anywhere as coming from the giant kettles in the fortress kitchens reached his brain.
 
“Is Toku-san still running the kitchens with an iron fist?” he couldn't help asking as he accepted the steaming bowl.
 
“As surly as ever!” Tsu grinned, watching Inuyasha sniffing appreciatively before taking a bite. The hanyou closed his eyes as he chewed and gave every appearance of savouring a taste from his childhood… and then the bowl was barely fielded by Kohire in a desperate lunge as Inuyasha rocketed to his feet, his body completely rigid, his eyes wide and staring before slumping back to the ground.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Momiji and Sesshomaru were both thrown back several feet by an incredible power surge erupting from Kagome, and then watched in horrified fascination as her entire body arched off the matting. Her eyes snapped wide and her mouth opened in a soundless scream as brilliant silver light began pouring out of the sockets and from her throat. Wildly arcing currents of pink, green and silver energy crackled over her writhing form… and just as quickly were contained.
 
Heedless of her own safety, Momiji scrambled back over the fallen hanging screen to reach for the glowing girl. Snatching her tingling hand back when it encountered a barrier, she stared at the three distinct layers of energy dancing over Kagome's body, which had stopped convulsing and now lay perfectly still. Violet-pink provided the innermost layer of protection, a potent threat against demonic attack. A thick layer of silver overlaid the rose, and Sesshomaru noted that the Tenseiga, still gripped in Kagome's hand, had actually been lifted slightly away from her body by the energy. The outermost layer was electric green; it appeared almost liquid as it flowed over and around the cocoon of silver separating it from the pink… and from Kagome.
 
“Sesshomaru-sama… what does this mean?” Momiji whispered, not taking her eyes from the colourful light show.
 
“It appears that the spiritual energy contained within Kagome's body objects to the presence of so much demonic power.”
 
“What do we do now?”
 
“We wait.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Restrained in Fenik's arms, Kagome cried out and twisted as excruciating pain burned through her. Over the roaring in her ears, she could hear the sword demon yelling at someone… and realized that it was Midoriko he was reaming out.
 
Dammit, Riko… stop it!
He's killing her!
No he isn't! Back off! You have to let him do this or she'll die!
He's too powerful… his energy is meant to call back souls from the hellgates!
Nixie's in the fucking waiting room next to them, dammit!
I won't let him touch her…
You have to… or we lose her. Naraku wins, Riko, and all this was for nothing.
 
Kagome whimpered, interrupting the spat, and a clawed hand came up to stroke her face. Fenik's voice spoke again, much softer this time.
 
Riko, I can't heal her on my own; she's too damaged, so I asked Tenseiga to step in. I can filter his power so that he only touches the parts of her that need to be healed. You have to trust me on this.
If he harms her, I'll purify his metal ass so thoroughly they'll mistake him for a toothpick.
He understands… wants you to know that he'd never hurt Nixie because she's mine.
Your…?
Uh… my mistress.
You should be so lucky. If her mate ever caught you wound around her like that, your chances of being turned into a teething ring for their first child are excellent.
What he can't see won't hurt him… and the old man'll never tell. Can we do this?
Very well… but I warn you…
No need, Riko; he appreciates your concern. We'll start from the top, so please give him access to that wound first.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Gods…!” Sesshomaru held his tongue, but he was just as stunned as Momiji as tiny tendrils of green began to coil down through the silver and pink barriers and disappeared through the quilt covering Kagome's body. “I… think that is the area where the fang went through her lung… is the Tenseiga healing her, my lord?”
 
“So it would appear.”
 
“Incredible…”
 
The taiyoukai pondered this thought carefully and then spoke quietly, almost to himself. “When the blade is used to bring a soul back from the dead, it heals all wounds suffered in the course of that death. I assume that this healing aspect has somehow been called upon.”
 
“The key appears to be that sword of hers. How can a human wield a demonic weapon?”
 
“I intend to find out.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Inuyasha-sama! Inuyasha-sama!” Tsu lightly slapped the hanyou's cheeks in an effort to bring him around. The inu-youkai paused every once in a while to listen for Inuyasha's heartbeat; reassured, he smacked him again.
 
“That wasn't a normal sort of faint, Tsu. If you leave him alone, I'll bet he wakes up once whatever it is has passed.”
 
“He's just… so still…”
 
“His mate must be in bad shape; I didn't know that hanyous were affected by the soul bond like full bloods are.” Kohire licked his spoon and eyed the hanyou speculatively.
 
Tsu wiped his brow and took a brief break from his ministrations. “They mustn't have pups yet… but I don't really want to be the one delivering his body to Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
“Good point. See if a snort of this plum wine brings him around.” A small leather-covered flask was extracted out of somewhere deep inside Kohire's leather tunic and handed over.
 
Tsu made a face. “Is this your uncle's latest effort?”
 
“Yep. Even stronger this time.”
 
“That last batch could raise the dead, so it just might work!” Tsu uncorked the flask and waved the potent liquor under the hanyou's nose before pulling down Inuyasha's lower lip and tipping a trickle into his mouth. He wasn't sure if it was the wine or a mere coincidence, but the hanyou coughed violently and came to, blinking wildly. “Inuyasha-sama! Are you all right?”
 
The hanyou rubbed his eyes and blinked muzzily. “I think so… have a bad taste in my mouth, though.” He then sat completely upright and pressed a hand to his chest; a huge grin lit up his face. “My mate… her heart beat is stronger… she's alive!”
 
“You had us worried for a while there, my lord. You just keeled right over; we hoped it wasn't the stew, since we were eating it as well…” Kohire smirked at him as he passed over a fresh bowl.
 
Inuyasha accepted the steaming container and eagerly dug in, all the while contentedly listening to the satisfying thump-thump-thump of Kagome's heart beating in his chest. I don't know what the hell they did to you, but I don't really care, either. I might even be nice to the asshole for a change
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Momiji and Sesshomaru observed the pulsating energies moving over Kagome's form in silence while the attendants re-erected the hanging screens around them and withdrew. “That energy surge will have alerted all the other residents of the fortress not already aware of her presence thanks to your precipitous arrival, my lord,” Momiji murmured.
 
“Hm.”
 
“The Lord of the West brings home an injured human female … there will be talk.” She glanced at him out of the corner of her eye, worriedly biting her lip.
 
Sesshomaru closed his eyes. “I care not how idle tongues amuse themselves. Was there anything unusual on her person?”
 
Momiji reached inside her robes and withdrew a small pouch. She placed it in the palm of his hand and observed him carefully. “How can she carry shards of the Shikon Jewel and not be affected by its power?”
 
He closed his fingers over the pouch and met her eyes. “She is the Protector of the Jewel… and the Phoenix of Legend.”
 
“The… Phoenix?”
 
“Her battle-aura takes the form of flames.” Catching the look in Momiji's eye, he added, “This Sesshomaru has faced her in combat.”
 
Nodding sagely, even though she was very certain that something significant was being omitted from that terse explanation, Momiji shifted on her knees. “What do you plan to do, my lord? Her presence here will only encourage the dissident factions in the Court; they will say…”
 
“That I am following in my father's footsteps? I have no interest in mating a human.”
 
“And yet, you defend Rin-chan's right to live here against all criticism,” she muttered, daring him to gainsay his reasons for this paradox.
 
The taiyoukai internally winced even as he growled at her audacity. “I do as I please; she amuses me.”
 
“She has warmed the hearts of many… but she will be in greater danger because of Kagome-san.”
 
“The reality, Momiji-san, is that Kagome-sama is now the senior ranking female in the House of the West by virtue of the fact that she is mated to my half-brother…” Sesshomaru came to a sudden stop as a possibility for turning the miko's presence to his advantage occurred to him, and Momiji scooted slightly backwards at the predatory gleam in his eye.
 
At that moment, he heard the distinctive tread of his sentouken's boots on the ladder-stair, instantly followed by a lighter step, and damped down on his gleeful thoughts which were practically turning handsprings. “Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
“Enter, Kiriaisai-san.” He watched the other inu-youkai's face carefully as he appeared in the gap between the screens and stopped dead as he took in the contained fireworks crackling over the recumbent figure. The taiyoukai suppressed a smile at the blank mask that quickly dropped into place, the result of centuries of training.
 
Gitoumaru, on the other hand, craned his neck to peer around his father's shoulder and loudly gasped, “Protector-sama! What…? Is she all right, my lord?”
 
“It appears she will live. Until her mate arrives, I am her guardian; she is therefore added to your security responsibilities as well, Kiriaisai-san.” The demon bowed in acknowledgement, but Sesshomaru wasn't finished. “She will also require her own staff to reflect her status as the ranking female of the Western Lands; since your son is known to her, I am seconding him to act as her personal page for the duration of her stay.”
 
The youth's eyes grew very round at this honour, and then he gulped at the responsibility. Drawing himself up very tall, he formally bowed. “Hai, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
The taiyoukai nodded and rose to his feet. “Attend me in my private study as soon as you have made suitable arrangements to secure the Chief Wife's quarters as well as the infirmary, Kiriaisai-san. Gitoumaru-kun, you are now on duty.” The cobalt-striped teen saluted smartly and took up a position at the corner of the enclosed space. “Momiji-san… inform me if there is any change in her condition.”
 
The female youkai momentarily left off giving Gitoumaru a hairy eyeball for bringing his dusty boots and gangling self into her sphere of influence and bowed to Sesshomaru. “Of course, my lord.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Rin-chan, you're supposed to be in bed!” The young demoness huffed in exasperation as the small hand tightly gripping her clawed fingers tugged her insistently down the enclosed corridor.
 
“Sesshomaru-sama came back, Anzu-san, and I want to see him!”
 
“But, Rin-chan…”
 
“Don't be scared, Anzu-san; Sesshomaru-sama doesn't bite, you know.”
 
“Maybe not you,” the teen muttered under her breath, and then yipped as the taiyoukai in question materialized seemingly out of nowhere in the dim corridor, regarding them with glowing yellow eyes.
 
“Sesshomaru-sama!” Rin let go of Anzu's suddenly-trembling hand and ran to her guardian. Stopping just at his feet, she positively beamed up at him, her eyes sparkling with happiness… and then impulsively threw her arms around his waist and hugged with all her might. Letting go just as quickly, she stepped back and bowed. “Welcome home, my lord!”
 
For a moment the taiyoukai did not respond, and then his hand slowly moved to rest lightly on her dark head. “Thank you, Rin,” he murmured, giving her a small smile in return… and then Momiji's concern surfaced in his mind. I must keep her close to prevent disaster. “Anzu-san… approach.” The young female squeaked and then crept hesitantly towards him; her nervousness gave him pause and he softened his tone a little. “Move Rin's bedding into the small room next to my private office; she is to sleep there until further notice.”
 
“H-hai, my lord.” Anzu bowed and scurried away; Sesshomaru opened the shoji and ushered Rin into his office to wait until the new location for her futon was ready.
 
“Inuyasha and his mate will be our guests for a little while, Rin,” he said, as he seated himself behind the low desk and began assembling both his thoughts and his papers.
 
“Truly?” She let out a delighted squeal and fairly bounced up and down, clapping her hands. “May I show them the gardens?”
 
“Kagome-sama is injured; Momiji-san is looking after her.”
 
“Will she be all right?” Great dark eyes filled with concern were suddenly looking intently into his as Rin came to his side, resting her hand on his shoulder.
 
“I believe so.”
 
“Good!” Rin clapped her hands again before seating herself on the mats beside him. “How was she hurt?”
 
“A snake youkai bit her.”
 
“Oh! Is it dead?”
 
“Very much so. Inuyasha was not pleased,” he replied, recalling the vivid image of the scarlet-eyed bloodied hanyou wielding the dripping Tetsusaiga.
 
“You weren't happy when Kohaku-kun tried to hurt me, either,” the little girl pointed out. “You know how Inuyasha-sama feels.”
 
Startled, he shot her a searching look and then paused as that idea took root in his brain. Yes, little one… perhaps I do.
 
Rin was not finished surprising him. “Kagome-sama looked after you when you were injured, and she saved me from Kohaku-kun.” She laid a small hand on his arm; her eyes were suddenly very old and knowing in her young face. “Now it is our turn to protect her.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж