InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Interrogation ( Chapter 67 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. All characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan Publishing, and VIZ is in the dog-pile somewhere, too.
 
A/N: With this chapter and the several following, this plot is veering away from the anime/manga storyline until the Mt. Hakurei arc. If you have a fondness for the `Curse of the Ogre's Head Castle', or the `Venerable Monkey God' filler episodes, I'll apologize in advance, because they won't be making an appearance here except as passing references.
 
However, I definitely have some adventures planned for these characters, so stay tuned!
 
Bouquets: To Forthright, Midoriko-sama, Neko-Lady and Susanne TJ for their suggestions!
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 67: Interrogation
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Present Day
Crimson Phoenix Room, Imperial Palace
 
Inuyasha glanced sharply up at the tall, stately male who had invaded their midnight repast, and then back at Kagome, who remained frozen with her head bowed. What the fuck? Who is this guy?
 
Sessaki slid the door shut behind him, watching keenly as the dark-haired hanyou dropped his food and rolled fluidly to his feet, balling his fists as he moved to shield Kagome. Dark eyes flashed, and a growl that would have been very impressive after sunrise rumbled the young man's throat. Gods… how young he looks! Incredible, how much he has physically changed over the centuries…
 
“Who the fuck are you, and what the hell are you doing barging into my mate's room in the middle of the fucking night?”
 
at least his mouth has improved. Before Sessaki could respond to the aggressive challenge, Kagome shot to her feet beside Inuyasha, instinctively restraining his sword arm even though he carried no blade
 
Koibito… wait.” Not taking his eyes from their visitor, Inuyasha inclined his head slightly towards Kagome to indicate that he was listening, and allowed her to lace her fingers with his. He wondered why the aristocratic bastard was faintly smiling as if something about the situation amused him, and his hackles went up. Why is Kagome's hand trembling? Is she frightened of this guy?
 
Kagome eyed Sessaki carefully, wondering how the hell to proceed. The taiyoukai looked entirely too serene, considering the highly-charged atmosphere in the room. This must be what Yash meant by saying that things had been taken care of… gonna kill him the next time I see him! I'll have to get in line behind Akagane, though… She took a deep breath, squared her shoulders, and squeezed Inuyasha's hand reassuringly. “Is something wrong, sir?”
 
She can't purify me in front of him; I do believe I will enjoy this… “It has come to my attention that a pass onto the Imperial grounds was authorized for someone purporting to be the Celestial Bodyguard's husband, and it is my duty as your superior officer to investigate.” Sessaki just managed to contain his smirk when Kagome's jaw dropped, and gleefully anticipated her reaction with his next comment. “How is it, Higurashi, that you came to be married without the approval of the Court?”
 
Why that son of a … As Kagome choked, Inuyasha stepped in and bared his teeth. “I have her mother's approval, and that's all I need. Her name ain't `Higurashi' any more; she's `Nishiyori' now.”
 
The tall courtier tilted his head to one side, allowing a long, dark sweep of hair from his sleeked-back top-knot to fall over his shoulder as he narrowed his eyes at the tense hanyou. “The appropriate documents have not been filed, nor has the Imperial Household been notified; therefore, until such time as the proper regulations have been met, she will remain `Higurashi' when she reports to me,” he stated in his most officious voice.
 
Inuyasha's hackles really went up, and he ignored the hints the visitor was dropping as to his identity. “She answers to me as her alpha, not you, whoever the fuck you are.” Kagome held her breath.
 
Sessaki raked the hanyou with a haughty look, his fine eyebrow arched. “I am Lord Sessaki Nishikkei, Imperial First Sword and Higurashi's commanding officer.” With a very straight face and a pointed glance at Kagome, he commented, “I must say that your husband certainly uses odd choices of words in describing your relationship, Higurashi.”
 
She blinked and stuttered. The prick… he's enjoying this! Ooh, I'm gonna get him for this! Calming herself with an effort, she smiled very sweetly at the disguised taiyoukai. “My husband is very traditional in many ways, just as you are, sir. `Mate' is an honourable title in his family, and `alpha' simply indicates that he is the head of our household… the `top dog', as it were.”
 
Sessaki's dark eyes twinkled. Not bad for thinking on your feet, Higurashi! However, before he opened his mouth to respond, Inuyasha snarled, “What's this guy to us, Kagome?”
 
“He's our ally,” she quietly answered, watching Inuyasha's face as anger gave way to incredulity as he digested her words.
 
There was a moment of stunned silence, and then the hanyou swung his head to stare disbelievingly at her. “This is our ally? He's as big an asshole as my fucking brother!”
 
She smiled weakly and said, “Maybe we should all sit down…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome sipped her juice as daintily as possible, one hand underneath and the other curled lightly around the condensation-slick can, eyes flicking back and forth between the two males seated opposite each other on the highly polished wooden floor of her room and felt the tension crawling from her shoulders into her neck. What am I supposed to do? Argh! If Sessaki doesn't stop verbally poking Inuyasha with a sharp stick, I don't know if I can restrain him! The rosary doesn't work tonight, and if he does go for Sessaki… damn, damned, damnable
 
Sessaki was calmly nibbling on a skewer of sweet dumplings, an open can of green tea at his knee; once they were seated, she'd offered him something from their loot bag both as a hospitable gesture and to stall for time. Inuyasha seemed to have lost his appetite; his container sat neglected on the floor as his hands flexed convulsively in his lap, his formidable glower blithely ignored by their visitor.
 
“How did you know about Kagome?” Inuyasha abruptly demanded, his violet eyes flashing from under heavy black bangs. Sessaki gestured carelessly with long elegant fingers, and Kagome fought the urge to duck; the movement was uncannily similar to the release of his energy whip. I'll bet he did that deliberately, the jerk!
 
“The story of the Shikon Jewel, and the defeat of the evil known as `Naraku' has been handed down through the centuries in my family, and I personally found it fascinating.”
 
Inuyasha snorted derisively. “You believed in what is now considered a fairy tale, enough that you challenged decades of tradition to allow a female into the Academy?” Kagome started slightly. How did he know that? Mom? Sota, maybe? Ojii-chan?
 
“The Protector of the Jewel, also known as the `Phoenix of Legend', who travelled from the future to the past by means of a mystical well located in Edo, was identified in the story as `Kagome Higurashi'.” He cleared his throat, and went into what Kagome recognized from the Academy classroom as `lecture mode'. “First of all, surnames for non-nobility were unheard-of until the Meiji era, so a woman unconnected with a noble house who possessed two names in the Sengoku Jidai was unusual. Secondly, her fighting abilities with archaic weapons were of interest to a warrior such as myself.” Sessaki took a sip of tea. “When a young woman by that same name, raised at a venerable shrine in Tokyo that happened to contain an ancient well came to the Academy's attention due to her outstanding public school record, I took a chance and secured her admittance to the Academy to ensure that she would receive appropriate training.”
 
“A risk like that could have cost you your Court position,” Inuyasha commented, and Kagome wondered how he would know that… then remembered that he had lived at the cut-throat Court of the Western Lands as a child.
 
“My position at this Court is hereditary.” Sessaki laid the empty skewer aside and washed the tidbits down with more tea, watching Inuyasha through his lashes.
 
The hanyou's eyebrows disappeared into his hairline. “So you trained Kagome just in case she might be the Protector? Keh.”
 
“She more than met my expectations as a traditional warrior; the position of Celestial Bodyguard was revived especially for her. However, the crux came on the night of her graduation from the Academy when she simply vanished, seemingly into thin air. The only clue was her official kimono, left crumpled outside the door of the ancient well-house. Her mother contacted my office immediately, and it quickly became apparent that I was correct in my assumption.”
 
“Yeah? What was your first clue?” Inuyasha challenged.
 
“Higurashi reappeared a couple of days later, slightly the worse for wear, closely followed by an astonishing personage that could only have come through the well from the past. The story states that she freed a legendary half-human, half-demon hybrid… a hanyou… from his bespelled imprisonment inflicted upon him by a Shinto priestess fifty years before, and he became Higurashi's protector even as she protected the Jewel.”
 
Inuyasha squirmed a bit before guardedly asking, “What did this hanyou look like?”
 
Sessaki considered him carefully for a few moments, as if he was searching his memory for the answer; Kagome resisted the urge to smack him. “The hanyou was notable for his silver hair and golden eyes, not to mention a pair of dog-like ears. He commonly wore princely scarlet robes that functioned as body armour, and did battle with an enchanted katana said to be forged from one of his father's fangs.” The imposing courtier leaned forward, holding Inuyasha's unflinching gaze. “The scrolls also mentioned that all hanyou have either a night or day of vulnerability, when they take the human form bequeathed to them by their non-demonic parent. This hanyou's particular night coincided with the New Moon, affected no doubt by his birth allegedly occurring during a lunar eclipse.” Sessaki sat back again, still looking steadily at the hanyou, whose expression was unreadable.
 
There was a short, pregnant silence, in which Kagome wished she could sink through the floorboards before Sessaki spoke, his voice a silky, almost predatory purr. “Are the scrolls accurate so far, Lord Inuyasha, son of the InuTaisho of the Western Lands by his second marriage to the Princess Izayoi of Setusuna?”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome watched helplessly as Inuyasha's entire body went from merely taut to completely rigid, so to prevent him from doing something foolhardy that would cause a tremendous mess all over the Emperor's nicely waxed floor when Sessaki flattened him, she put down her juice and dove in between them, breaking the threatening eye contact.
 
Arms instantly wrapped around her from behind, but she resisted Inuyasha's impulse to shove her protectively behind him. Stymied, he pulled her into his lap instead, glaring ferociously over her head at Sessaki… who dropped his eyes in a show of submission that nearly made Kagome gasp. “Excuse me, Lord Inuyasha… I did not mean to make you or your wife uncomfortable.”
 
The hanyou exhaled through his teeth, the gust ruffling her hair; his heartbeat raced through Kagome's chest. “On the other side of the well, a hanyou's human time is incredibly dangerous. I'm not happy that strangers know about my night.”
 
Sessaki bowed. “Rest assured that you are safe here, Lord Inuyasha. As the Celestial Bodyguard's husband, you are more than adequately protected by her capable hands, not to mention the extensive security systems employed to keep the Imperial Family from harm. However, I seriously doubt that you would be attacked by a youkai in any case.
 
Inuyasha's arms loosened around Kagome's waist. “Youkai… no longer exist?” For her part, she was glad that the hanyou couldn't see her face; for his, Sessaki adopted an expression of thoughtful interest.
 
“If they are among us, they are well-disguised. This is the age of humans, not magical creatures.”
 
“Wait a minute… are you spying on the Shrine? Is that how you know so much about our movements through the well?” There was a deadly tone in Inuyasha's voice.
 
Sessaki shook his head. “There is no need. Since my initial involvement upon Higurashi's first disappearance, her mother keeps me apprised of her daughter's activities on the other side of time. It is fairly easy to track her progress through the scrolls, so I have been able to provide supplies that are appropriate.”
 
“You knew we were going to Kyoto before we even did…” Kagome didn't like the calculating tone in Inuyasha's voice, and spoke up.
 
“Lord Sessaki can't tell us the future, Inuyasha, or the flow of time might be altered… and Naraku could end up winning. I told you that this morning.”
 
“Is she right? About this `flow of time' thingie?” He addressed his question to Sessaki, and Kagome thought he relaxed slightly.
 
Keeping his expression neutral, the courtier nodded slowly. “Foreknowledge of unpleasant events may cause you to alter your actions or decisions, which could in turn be detrimental to your mission. If you knew a member of your group, Higurashi for example… or perhaps, a young child… was to face serious injury, or even death, you would exert yourself to prevent it, correct?”
 
“Damn right!” Inuyasha's grip on her tightened again, to the point of discomfort; Kagome barely noticed. This is another one of those giant warnings with flashing lights on top… maybe he means Shiori? Or someone else…!
 
Sessaki's eyes softened as he regarded the young woman chewing her lip, her eyes widening as realization dawned. “However, if you also knew that injury or death would inexorably lead to the destruction of your enemy, would you still strive to prevent it?”
 
Inuyasha fell silent, and then he pulled Kagome into him; she squeaked and protested until he eased off enough that she could breathe. Dropping his chin to her shoulder, he remained quiet for a moment longer before speaking softly. “I see what you mean, Lord Sessaki. Shit, there just isn't any easy way, is there?” While she blinked at the application of the honorific, Sessaki hid a smirk with a delicate cough.
 
“Saving the world from evil is never easy, Lord Inuyasha; you both have my wishes for your personal safety and success on your mission.”
 
“Thank you.” Kagome was shocked some more when Inuyasha inclined his head to Sessaki, who hid his smile behind his sleeve on the pretext of stifling another cough. “You say your family has known of our story `for centuries'… how?”
 
“My family has been associated with the Court of the Western Lands for nearly five hundred years, Lord Inuyasha.”
 
Kagome held her breath as Sessaki balanced perilously close to the edge of truth; over her head, Inuyasha gasped out loud. “What? You're human… aren't you?”
 
An elegant brow arched upward. “What else could I be?”
 
Inuyasha prodded Kagome. “Is he?”
 
Finding herself the sudden focus of interest, she spluttered, and Sessaki rapidly intervened. “Don't you trust the proof of your eyes, Lord Inuyasha?”
 
“Not as much as my nose…” the hanyou muttered grumpily, and reached out to poke at the discarded container of satay beef with his clawless fingertip. Sessaki caught Kagome's eye while Inuyasha contemplated the floor; she was regarding him with an expression best described as mildly horrified, when to her astonishment, he slyly winked at her.
 
“If you're human, and from the Court of the Western Lands… then somewhere along the line, my asshole brother must have decided that humans were good for something other than target practise.” Kagome was sure she saw Sessaki twitch, and considered that payback for the prior wink, but she still encouraged Inuyasha in this line of thought.
 
“Where are you going with this, koibito?” she asked, turning her head so she could see him out of the corner of her eye.
 
“Just something that I thought of the night we rescued Rin from Kohaku….”
 
“Oh? What was that?” she probed, keeping one eye on a distinctly-uncomfortable taiyoukai. Shouldn't push this, but
 
“The annals speak of a Lady Rin, who wed a Lord of the West over four hundred and fifty years ago,” Sessaki quickly interjected, and Kagome silently applauded his quick recovery.
 
“Keh. Looks like that little girl might really mean something to him…” Inuyasha trailed off, then shook his dark head. “Still don't think I'd trust the bastard with your life, though.” He scrutinized Sessaki carefully while turning over something in his mind. “My mate says she trusts you implicitly; her word is good enough for me, but I do want to ask a few questions, Lord Sessaki.”
 
He minutely adjusted the already perfect neckline of his kimono. “Ask.”
 
“Where the hell did you find a dragon?”
 
“A… dragon?” Sessaki blinked innocently.
 
“Kagome's leather outfit is made of dragon-hide. You didn't know that?”
 
Sessaki affected surprise; Kagome thought his reaction was a little overdone, and shot him a warning look. “It was sent to the Emperor as a diplomatic gift from China three hundred and fifty years ago; the scrolls mention the Protector's unusual grey leather winter uniform, so I requisitioned the hide and had it made to fit Higurashi. The material dulled numerous types of cutters and broke a boxful of needles until the leatherworkers were able to fashion a suitable garment out of it.”
 
“How about the style?”
 
“It was based on ancient drawings in the archives of the uniforms worn by the guards at the Western fortress.”
 
Inuyasha thought that over for a few moments before asking, “Do you know anything about Kagome's sword, Fenikkusuken?”
 
He asks sharp questions; perhaps I should have taken Yashita up on his offer to brief me this afternoon. “I can only speak of the legends; it is rumoured to be a `fang' as well, forged four hundred years ago by a noted swordsmith. It bears no maker's mark, so its age and provenance have been impossible to verify; it has been in the Imperial collection for the past one hundred years.”
 
“You had no idea that it was a demonic blade, and you just handed it over to a human?” Inuyasha shook his head at this apparent carelessness.
 
Sessaki shrugged. “It gave no hint of its provenance, as I said. Since the `Phoenix of Legend' wielded a katana known as the `Phoenix Blade', I made sure it was in Higurashi's possession just in case. It has proven useful, I take it?”
 
“It has a few tricks that have come in handy,” Inuyasha said carelessly, thinking hard before deciding that Sessaki more than likely wouldn't know if there were two fangs involved, and wondering why Kagome tensed up a little.
 
She was eyeing the weapon in question where it leaned up against her kimono stand. I hope Fenik didn't hear that! She relaxed against Inuyasha's chest when the sword remained silent, then realized he was lightly rubbing her arms to soothe her.
 
Sessaki began shaking out his sleeves, indicating that he intended to close the interview. “It is late; I am sure that you and Higurashi wish to retire. Is there anything else?”
 
“What's in this for you?”
 
Sessaki smiled quietly. “Reflected glory. I have read of the atrocities committed by Naraku and his minions, and I am content to do my part to achieve his defeat from a safe distance.”
 
“Did we beat Naraku?”
 
Sessaki fixed Inuyasha with a serious look. “The fact that the world has continued on and not become immersed in evil would indicate that you were most likely successful.”
 
“Keh. Can't be any more specific, huh?”
 
“Stay the course, Lord Inuyasha. I will do everything I can to support your mission on this side.” The courtier rose in a heavy swirl of silken robes.
 
Inuyasha pulled Kagome upright along with him; she hastily adjusted the pale green yukata to keep the neckline modest. “Thank you, Lord Sessaki. I appreciate the care and consideration you have shown my mate and the support you have given our mission so far.” Kagome stared in amazement as Inuyasha executed a very correct formal bow to Sessaki, who gravely returned it.
 
“Good luck, Lord Inuyasha... take care of Higurashi. She has many friends here who worry about her.”
 
“I will protect her with my life.”
 
“Let us hope that it does not come to that.” With a solemn expression, Sessaki inclined his head, and disappeared out the door. Inuyasha crossed the floor and kicked in the locking bolt, while behind his back, Kagome exhaled and rolled her shoulders before picking up her can for a drink.
 
“He seems decent enough once you get to know him,” Inuyasha remarked, and then had to quickly thump Kagome's back when she choked on her mouthful of juice.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
Same night of the New Moon
 
The oily surface of the swamp glimmered, but it did not reflect the starlight; rather, it seemed to absorb the feeble glow and draw it within. The pale trunks of long-dead trees creaked in the night breeze, but the stretch of marsh was eerily still. No frogs croaked or flirted on the lilypads, no fireflies flickered among the reeds. The close observer may have discerned that what appeared to be smooth white rocks just under the surface close to shore were actually human skulls.
 
The breeze picked up in strength, swirling the stench of rank decay through the air, tugging at the long sleeves and full hakama of the dark-haired figure standing motionless and poised on the slimy bank, a long bow in her hands. The surface of the water suddenly contracted into a whirlpool, and then violently spewed upward as a glistening length reared into the air.
 
The grub-like creature, which may have been destined to become a powerful dragonfly demon, had its life expectancy cut dramatically short by a flaming arrow blowing its armoured head off. The body fell back towards the dank water, but no impact wave dampened the feet of the archer as it disintegrated into tiny flakes of ash. A second fiery arrow struck the surface of the water and vanished.
 
Kikyo lowered her bow and stared thoughtfully at the spreading pool of glowing liquid cleansing the swamp of evil and returning it to its previous state as a pleasant small lake, home to fish and beloved by small children for sailing stick boats.
 
I have followed up every single evil aura in this area, and still Naraku eludes me. It is very strange; before, no matter where he chose to conceal himself, I could still detect the presence of his shield. Stowing her weapon, the undead priestess turned away from the rapidly-purifying lake and continued on her solitary way. He has hidden himself quite thoroughly this time; Inuyasha's strike must have severely injured him so that he requires even longer to recover. She lifted her head and studied the stars before changing her course slightly. No matter where he tries to hide, he will not escape. His life is mine.
 
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Present Day
Crimson Phoenix Room, Imperial Palace
 
Early the next morning, Kagome laid awake in the arms of her slumbering hanyou, twirling a lock of his black hair around her finger while listening to the faint crackling of the barrier she'd set with her arrows. So many things could have gone wrong in that conversation, but I don't think Inuyasha suspects anything. Gods, I nearly died when Sessaki stepped in that door! Inuyasha mumbled her name and smiled in his sleep; she affectionately kissed his chin. There were so many questions Inuyasha could have asked, really sticky ones, but he didn't. I just hope he doesn't want to chat to Sessaki later when he thinks of them… or worse, asks me, because he'll know if I'm lying. Crap.
 
Sighing, she let go of his hair and began tracing designs on his chest with her fingertip. Sessaki was warning us that something awful is going to happen to one of us… I hope he meant Shiori. She frowned. Yash said that her death didn't occur for over a hundred years; I suppose it's possible that Sessaki used a future tragedy as an example.
 
“It's too early to be making grouchy faces like that, koishii…” She glanced up, her finger frozen in mid-stroke, to see him smiling sleepily. He looks so delicious with his hair all tousled like that, and his eyes so soft… if he didn't have to go in a few minutes, I'd… His arm, which had been draped comfortably over her hip, slowly moved and allowed his hand to glide up her side and over her shoulder to brush a few stray tendrils of hair away from her neck. He ran his thumb along the curve of her jaw and then over her lips before ducking his head to lay a kiss on the corner of her mouth. “Mmm… have you slept at all, wench?”
 
“Not much,” she admitted. “Just dozing now and again.”
 
“I thought I tired you out pretty thoroughly; must be losing my touch. We can have a nap this afternoon once you come home,” he yawned, rubbing his fist over his eyes. “Keh… guess I have to push off now, before I don't match the picture on my driver's license.”
 
She gave him a mournful look; he chuckled and kissed her again before a mischievous twinkle sparked his dark eyes. “Good morning, Lady Kagome.”
 
“Should I put on my white gloves? What's with the formality?” she queried bemusedly.
 
“Since I've been recognized as a `lord' on this end of time, that makes you my lady. Don't worry… I won't make you bow to me before you serve my ramen…”
 
“Dream on, dog-boy!” Giggling, she went for his ribs and danced her fingers over them until he was begging for mercy between snorts of laughter. Inuyasha finally broke free and shot out of the futon, grinning broadly at her from a safe distance. The grin turned into a smirk, and then he casually and deliberately stretched up tall, showing all his muscles to tremendous advantage while Kagome's mouth went dry as she ogled his naked body. “Oh, that is… dammit, Inuyasha, that's not fair!”
 
“Giving you something to think about, wench,” he purred as he began dressing in the modern clothes.
 
“How am I supposed to concentrate in the morning briefing, if all I can think about is jumping you?”
 
“Skip the briefing and come home early. I'll make it worth your while.” He waggled his eyebrows suggestively before pulling the tank over his head and tucking it into his trousers. She admired him again; the red piping running up the centre of his sleek black leather-clad legs certainly drew the eye up to his narrow waist… and called attention to his well-defined crotch on the way.
 
Inuyasha brought her attention higher up his body by tossing his loose hair back over his muscled shoulders. “Braid it for me, koishii? Try to restrain yourself from attacking me while you're doing it, though; dawn isn't that far off.”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes while patting the floor beside the futon. “I'll do my best, dog-boy. Plant it over here.” Smirking, the hanyou sat down with his back to her and she quickly turned the wild mass into a tidy braid that reached the floor. “There you go…” She tugged playfully on it, and then found herself pinned under a happily-growling hanyou who took full advantage of her nudity to plant kisses all over her throat and chest, finishing with a long, sensuous lick from between her breasts all the way up to the point of her chin.
 
“There you go…” he grinned, then kissed her thoroughly before escaping her attempt to hold onto him for another.
 
“Brat.” Kagome pouted for his benefit, and then indulged in a little exhibitionism herself, letting the sheet drop away as she sat up and stretched her arms up over her head, allowing her head to fall back and expose her throat to him. She heard a sharp intake of breath from across the room, and smiled to herself. Gotcha, dog-boy!
 
“Your timing isn't as good as last year since I'm not in danger of falling off the roof, and you did a better stretch at the hot spring… but not bad, wench, not bad at all.” Snickering, he fielded the pillow she threw at him and lobbed it back. Shouldering into his jacket, he then bent to scoop the red-etched black helmet before tossing her a wink. “Make sure you thank Lord Sessaki for answering my questions when you see him.”
 
“You… really think he's okay?” she asked hopefully.
 
“Keh. It occurred to me that he might be my great-great-great-something nephew, if `Lady Rin' and Sesshomaru's ward are the same person… so that makes him part of our pack. He took a huge risk in having you admitted to the Academy, and I'll bet he's fielded some interesting questions about our supplies over the past year.” Inuyasha paused for a moment, then grinned cheerfully. “He's definitely `okay' in my opinion… even if he has an attitude.”
 
“He's kind of irritating sometimes, but he's very honourable.”
 
“Reminds me of Sesshomaru; could almost see the bastard sitting there when he pulled that superior attitude about us mating without his permission. Keh!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Several rooms farther down the corridor, Kogashu rolled over and yawned before peering at the securely-trussed hanyou lying a foot away on the same futon. “How ya doin', mutt-face?”
 
“Just peachy, wolf-shit.” Yashita growled. `Didja have to tie these ropes so fucking tight?”
 
“You were the one who said that he had to be restrained from doing something stupid.”
 
You didn't have to enjoy yourself quite so much while doing it!”
 
Kogashu smirked crookedly and propped his chin on his fist. “So, what's it worth to ya for Kagome not to find out that you begged me to tie you up before we went to bed?”
 
“Why, you…” The hanyou gnashed his blunted teeth, wishing for sunrise and the chance to pummel the wolf.
 
“Be silent, both of you,” snarled an irritated voice from the other futon.
 
Grinning, Kogashu rolled his eyes for Yashita's benefit. “Don't know why you're so crabby, Sessaki… you're the only one of us who really enjoyed himself last night!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Fenik… you will not go too far.
I promise! I swear that I won't draw blood!
You're destined for letter-opener status if you forget.
Now, there's a fate worse than being just melted down.
 
When Kogashu, Sessaki and Yashita entered the breakfast pavilion, they were greeted by a composed young woman sitting perhaps a little too correctly in the exact centre of the tatami mats. “Good morning, sirs. I trust you slept well?” she asked crisply. If the men were paying attention to her instead of the prospect of breakfast, they would have been very nervous indeed. Yashita smiled as he started towards her; the other two followed more slowly.
 
All three stopped dead in their tracks when a burst of spiritual-demonic energy flared through the open-sided building. A molten-eyed Kagome, her dark tresses rising in the updrafts of her power, lifted Fenikkusuken in her hands and flicked the blade guard. Silver vapour instantly twisted out of the scabbard, whirled rapidly around her and then resolved itself into a massive spectral dog, its tufted ears laid back and its fangs bared. Kogashu rapidly backed away; Fenik snapped viciously in his direction, and then swung back to growl threateningly at Sessaki and Yashita.
 
“I'm not sure which of the two of you deserve to be bitten more for last night,” Kagome murmured, the serene eye of the tempest. “Yashita, for not warning me adequately or Sessaki, for putting on a command performance worthy of a kabuki theatre.”
 
The taiyoukai abruptly released his own youkai, and Fenik curled his lips back over his fangs as the green vapour roiled towards them. The dog roared, sprang into the air and vanished into a glittering dome that blossomed over Kagome. A moment after that, the dome became a metallic net and flung itself over both Sessaki and Yashita, compressing their demonic auras tightly around their bodies.
 
“I think you've made our point, Fenik,” Kagome said quietly. With a final squeeze, the net twisted upward and then spiralled back across the room, where it turned into a slender humanoid demon, metallic eyes flashing, silver-and-black hair tossing wildly in the currents of power as he crouched protectively in front of Kagome.
 
I'll show you a `few tricks'
 
“Heel.” With a final glare at the two inu-youkai, the sword-demon turned back into a coil of vapour and vanished into the scabbard. Kagome calmly tapped the hilt home and laid the weapon across her lap, then smiled at Yashita in a manner that would have sent a lesser man scurrying for cover. “To quote your brother, you have some explaining to do, Yashita Nishikkei.”
 
“We are `Nishiyori'; however, I obviously couldn't use that name with the pup as he would have picked up on it immediately.” Sessaki appeared unperturbed, but he seemed to have developed a tic in his eye. “I don't recall you being that clever all those centuries ago,” he added, turning to Yashita, who instantly growled.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes. “I had enough posturing out of you two hounds last night. Sit down before I decide that Fenik could use some more exercise.” Yashita cautiously approached and hesitated until she pulled over a cushion for him. When he'd seated himself, she allowed him to kiss her cheek. “You could have warned me,” she muttered reproachfully.
 
“I warned him instead, but he didn't want to know any of my questions in advance, so you were even.” He smiled apologetically at her, and she relented. Leaning in, she kissed him lightly on the lips, and could sense his almost palpable relief. She then turned to the taiyoukai. “You ran awfully close to the line a few times, but I think Inuyasha was satisfied with your answers.”
 
“When was the pup ever satisfied with anything?”
 
“Old habits really do die hard with you, don't they?”
 
Sessaki truly smirked. “I believe the relevant saying refers to `old dogs' and `new tricks'.” He gestured to the servants, and breakfast was served.
 
Kagome snorted, and then noticed that Kogashu was sporting the biggest shit-eating grin she'd ever seen as he swaggered across the tatami to join them. “What, wolfling?”
 
“That's the equivalent of my birthday, Entrance Day and New Years all rolled up into one, princess! Completely made up for Yash whining all night that the ropes were too tight!”
 
“Ropes?” She arched her eyebrow at her husband, who suddenly found the contents of his bowl extremely fascinating.
 
“Yep. He begged me to do it, too… and he snores something awful; like an effing chain saw…”
 
“Shut the fuck up, wolf,” Yashita snarled, trying to ignore the way the corners of Kagome's mouth were twitching.
 
Kogashu couldn't stop grinning like an idiot. “Never thought I'd ever see the day when you'd have the pleasure of that damn dog going after both of you!”
 
“Fenik's humanoid form is even more dangerous; he can manifest a sword to go along with the fangs and claws,” Kagome said, then noted the wolf prince's blank look. “Don't tell me you somehow missed that part of the floor show?”
 
Yashita started to laugh. “I'll bet he nearly wet his fundoshi as soon as Fenik even looked his way! You were behind one of the support pillars and ready to high-tail it out of here, weren't you, wolf-shit?” Kogashu `harrumphed' and affected nonchalance, but he scooted backwards with alacrity when Kagome `accidentally' nudged the black leather scabbard in his direction.
 
The good-natured teasing continued until Sessaki spoke up. “I should explain to Fenik the perils of biting the hands that created him,” he mused, contemplating the weapon for a moment. “Then, as punishment, allow him to demonstrate to a certain wolf how sharp the fang of a dog can be…”
 
“How could that be considered a `punishment'?” Yashita wondered, sure that Fenik would be only too happy to go after Kogashu.
 
“He'd have an upset stomach for days.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
Threeweeks later
 
“Ah, this feels good!” Sango sighed happily, leaning back against the rocks of the hot spring. Kirara mewed her agreement from her perch on a nearby piece of heated granite as Kagome arranged the shampoo and soap before cautiously entering the steaming pool.
 
“Whew! This one's really hot… we'd better not stay in too long or we'll make ourselves ill from the heat.”
 
Sango giggled. “Probably not fast enough for Inuyasha! He's eager to get cleaned up, too after dragging that boulder all over the place!”
 
Kagome snickered. “Honestly, he shouldn't let his temper get the better of him like that!”
 
“He wasn't very `god-like', was he?”
 
“Especially not with his mouth full of dirt…”
 
The slayer chortled. “You haven't `sat' him for so long that I think the spell had gathered in strength! That was a really deep crater!”
 
“Yeah… maybe I ought to blow off a little of its potency and `sit' him more frequently? It'd be better for his health…” Both girls gave up then, and laughed until they were helpless.
 
Coming after very stressful battles against a rather nasty demon that had disguised itself as a princess, near-daily attacks from assorted lesser demonic beings as well as their recent encounter with three mischievous monkey sprites, the opportunity to laugh was badly needed.
 
A week ago, they had encountered an elderly exorcist that had endeared herself to Inuyasha by throwing purification salt in his face after he rescued her from a weasel demon. The spry old woman had then told them of the demon haunting a nearby castle and then suggested splitting the generous reward offered by the lord's desperate retainers. Miroku had quickly accepted on their behalf, but when the castle had turned out to be enveloped in a powerful demonic aura, they had prepared for the worst.
 
It had been a rather messy business, with both Miroku and Kagome barely escaping ingestion by the demon, but they'd learned two things. One, aura-challenged old women armed with purification salt are not to be taken lightly as demon-slayers, and two, Naraku's disappearance was the signal for all sorts of unpleasant creatures to slither out of hiding. Now that the dark hanyou was no longer acting as a sort of demonic damper, lesser demons were flexing their muscles and preparing to return to activity.
 
The elderly exorcist, who couldn't detect an evil aura to save her life, was thrilled with the potential upsurge of business. Inuyasha had grumbled that old frauds should stay home by the fire and keep out of the way, but they were all struck by the sobering idea that things were going to become even more difficult in the days and weeks ahead.
 
The monkey sprites had been the most recent mishap, but they'd learned something valuable as a result. They were accosted by villagers who wanted the `dog-god' to chase off some monkeys that were destroying the crops. While the rest of the group snickered behind their hands at the hanyou's elevation to godly status, Inuyasha reluctantly agreed to help dispose of these monkeys, who were said to be terrified of dogs. It had gone downhill rapidly from there.
 
He ended up with a bespelled boulder stuck to his hand and been `sat' for the first time in months, but by the end of it, they had a solid lead courtesy of the venerable monkey god. The elderly being's holy object, an ancient round stone, had ended up in the village's pickling barrel as a lid weight. Kagome noticed the unusual glow sported by the dish of pickled vegetables offered as part of their evening meal and traced the spiritual aura back to the barrel. The monkey god had first lifted the spell on Inuyasha, which immediately improved his temper, and then told Kagome of the menacingly evil presence he had detected overhead at an early point of his vinegary incarceration.
 
“It headed towards the ox-tiger,” he'd intoned. “Then it simply vanished.”
 
It was now the evening of that day, and they were camping out under the stars. Okibi had accompanied with them on this patrol, and proven her capacity for defence was just as lethal as Kumo's. She couldn't breathe fire, but she was just as nimble… and fiercely protective of Miroku. Even after witnessing Kagome's experience on Kumo's back, the monk had willingly tied himself into the straps of her saddle several times and fought in the air alongside Sango and Kirara, leaving Kagome and Inuyasha in the unaccustomed position of being the ground forces.
 
“Shippo will be sorry he missed Inuyasha stuck to that boulder!” Kagome wheezed, wiping her eyes.
 
Sango nodded, looking thoughtful. “As much as I enjoy having the kit along, I'm really glad he's back at the village right now; death seems to follow us closely whether Naraku is on the loose or not.”
 
“He's taking his job as village protector very seriously…”
 
“I think a certain adorable bat-hanyou is the main reason, however.” Sango waggled her eyebrows.
 
Kagome gulped, and changed the topic. “Those monkey sprites were sure cute; I hope they don't cause too much mischief now that the village is building a new shrine for their god.”
 
“Completely absent-minded, though! They couldn't keep a single thought in their heads for more than five minutes!” the slayer chuckled.
 
“Keh! Stupid little shits; even with three heads, they didn't have a working brain between them,” growled a familiar voice, and both girls ducked, covered and yelped.
 
Inuyasha! Didn't you eat enough dirt already today?”
 
“I dare you to say `it', wench.” The hanyou appeared, his back turned towards them but his ears twisted in their direction. “I hardly deserved it then, and I sure as hell don't deserve it now. Just came to see if you two were close to being done; Miroku and I want our turn.”
 
“Oh… sure. We just have to wash our hair, right, Sango…?” Kagome trailed off when she glanced over and saw the slayer's bright red cheeks. “Sango? Are you feeling okay? Maybe you ought to get out now; you look really warm.”
 
“Uh, no… I'm fine. Really.” Sango squirmed a bit under Kagome's sceptical eye, and then dropped a verbal grenade. “Um, Kagome…? Maybe we should invite our husbands to join us…?” The slayer lost her nerve slightly as the other girl gaped at her, but when Inuyasha's ears perked up even higher, she added, “There's plenty of room in here, and it's deep enough for modesty.”
 
“Sango? Are you… sure about this?” Kagome was plainly startled.
 
“I've thought about asking them to join us before, but if you aren't comfortable…”
 
“I, ah, er… hadn't thought about it… at all… actually. Um…”
 
“C'mon, wench… it's just me and Miroku… and he knows better than to look.” Inuyasha turned his head slightly, just enough so that she could see his grin. “Okibi can guard the tents; it's warmer in that water than it is around the campfire, so what do you say?”
 
“Uh…”
 
“Never mind, Kagome. Let's quickly wash our hair and let the boys have their turn.” Sango moved towards the shampoo bottles and Inuyasha made to leave.
 
There was a part of her mind that was mildly curious at the prospect of seeing what lay under Miroku's voluminous robes… although not the really naughty bits, of course… and another part that was squealing and running in circles at the very idea of mixed bathing, until a pertinent word clicked into place in her mind. Husbands. What IS wrong with inviting our husbands to join us once in a while? She thought a little harder, and came to a decision. The key words here are `once in a while'… so that we can still talk, complain and laugh about them in private.
 
“Okay… sure.” Kagome tried to sound nonchalant as Sango almost dropped the shampoo bottle and Inuyasha knocked his head on a low-lying branch when he whipped around to stare at her. “What? Go get houshi-doushi; I'm fine with it. Really.”
 
The hanyou arched a dark eyebrow at her, trying to gauge her true feelings, but she stared him down and flapped her hand at him. Giving her an odd look, he vanished into the undergrowth while Sango cautiously asked, “Are you sure, Kagome?”
 
“So long as this doesn't become a habit, because I really enjoy our `girls only' chats, I'm willing to give it a try.”
 
“Extended families always bathed together at my village; my uncles, aunts and cousins joined us in the communal baths. The adults would talk, and we'd have water fights at the other end of the spring.”
 
“It must have been huge,” Kagome commented, trying to remember a structure large enough to accommodate that many people at the ruined village, but drawing a blank.
 
Sango noticed her ruminations. “The springs weren't inside the compound; they were set into the hill on the rear side of the fortifications in a shallow cave. Our laundress and her family lived there, too, but would come inside the walls when there was danger.”
 
“Too bad we missed it. Would have made it easier to clean you up, if I'd known there was a hot spring we could have dunked you in.”
 
“Good evening! This is a very pleasant surprise, Kagome-sama! Thank you for offering to share the hot water with us.” Kagome's head snapped around as Miroku carolled out his greeting, and she ducked down into the water on pure reflex.
 
Inuyasha snorted from behind her. “Turn this way and face me, wench, so you don't have to worry about being scarred for several lifetimes by anything that may have been blessed by Buddha.” Her cheeks rivalled his fire-rat as she obeyed; he chuckled at her, which didn't help. He was undressed and in the water within moments, closely followed by a second splash that announced Miroku's arrival across the spring.
 
“Is it safe to look?” she mumbled, and this time Inuyasha laughed out loud.
 
“Oi, wench… I remember the first time we had a bath together… you couldn't take your eyes off me!”
 
Her head shot up and silvered eyes flashed. “Tell the truth, dog-boy… you invited yourself into my bath and I had to escape your male attentions!”
 
“I don't think I've heard that story, Kagome!” Sango snickered, reclining back against Miroku's chest and reaching up to toy with his loosened hair.
 
The monk leaned his head into her hand and closed his eyes, sighing contentedly. “Do not tease our poor miko; otherwise, she will heat the water to boiling by the sheer force of her blushes!”
 
While Kagome mumbled something about not being embarrassed, dammit, Inuyasha gently tugged on her hand. “Wash my hair, koishii?” Glad for something to do, she quickly reached for the shampoo and set herself to freeing his scalp of the dirt deposited by a great deal of contact with the earth over the course of the day. She did her best to keep the suds out of his ears as she cupped the grimy appendages in one hand and carefully scrubbed the velvety fur clean with the other. “Done yet, wench?”
 
“Hardly. You have enough hair for a couple of people. Give me a few minutes.” Occupying herself with working shampoo through the thick length she forgot that she had an audience and began to hum. Inuyasha smiled to himself as he listened, and then winked at Sango, who smirked in reply. “All done, dog-boy. Rinse off… but please don't shake all over us to dry yourself!” He snorted, and slid underwater, a silver trail following him down into the darkness.
 
“Throw me the bottle, will you, Kagome?” Sango held out her hand, and Kagome tossed it across the spring as Inuyasha surfaced beside her, slicking his bangs off his face and flicking his ears. He settled against a rock next to her and let his hand drift down her side underwater until it rested lightly on her hip. Kagome tensed, so he thought twice about pulling her into his lap. She did, however, relax enough to lean against his side, so he took what he could get.
 
“What's our next move going to be?” he addressed the group as a whole. Miroku made a non-committal noise as Sango's strong fingers massaged his scalp; Kagome noticed how dark the wet gauntlet appeared against his pale skin and even paler beads as he draped his lean muscled arm over a rock to steady himself.
 
“The venerable monkey god said the evil presence disappeared towards the ox-tiger,” Sango mused as she worked on turning the monk into putty in her hands. “We should head in that direction, but make sure we can still reach the village before the next New Moon.”
 
“Agreed. What do you think, koishii?”
 
“It's going to be a hard fight, if we keep getting jumped every time we turn around…”
 
“Keh! You should be so lucky, wench!”
 
The girl sighed theatrically as she turned towards the sniggering hanyou. “And I thought Miroku was the resident hentai…” A hard shove sent him sprawling, and then Kagome shipped water from a wave sent in her direction from the slighted monk… and the fight was on.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Hours later, while Kagome did sentry duty with Okibi in the pre-dawn chill, she mulled over Sessaki's warning, as she had done many times over the past three weeks. He's so darn cryptic… did he mean Shiori? Or someone else? We've been under almost continuous attack by demons of varying strengths wanting the Shikon shards, so it is conceivable that one of us could be seriously injured… but killed? The golden tenbaryu seemed to sense her unease, and rubbed a leathery muzzle against her shoulder, chirping softly. Kagome reached up to scratch her under the chin, and Okibi exhaled gustily, her long black eyelashes fluttering down.
 
The breeze picked up, rustling the leaves overhead; Kagome shivered inside her warm cloak. Like someone's walking over my grave
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
A/N: Licentia Poetica and Lady Rhiyana, that cliffie was especially for the two of you! ׃׃skips away whistling׃׃