InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Calculated Risk ( Chapter 66 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. All characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan Publishing, and VIZ is in the dog-pile somewhere, too.
 
A/N: The Hutch boys and I are going on a brief seasonal hiatus; see you in the New Year! Happy Holidays from our fortress to yours!
 
A bit of lemon fluff in the middle, and some coarse language.
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 66: Calculated Risk
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Present Day
Imperial Palace,morning of the New Moon Festival
 
A few sleepless hours after Inuyasha lithely and ably demonstrated the concept of `defenestration', a brisk knock on the wooden doorframe jerked Kagome out of her uneasy doze. She stumbled from the futon, threw on her dark red haori and unlocked the door. Sliding the wooden panel open, she was greeted with the cheery visage of her official dresser, Suzume, bearing an armload of red-and-white fabric, a bucket of hot water, a towel and some soap.
 
“Good morning, Lady Kagome. I thought you might like to freshen up a bit before breakfast.”
 
“Thank you, Suzume-san. I'm glad to see you again.” She smiled graciously and stood aside to let him pass.
 
After briefly studying her, the sparrow-youkai bobbed his head in greeting, then trotted in to deposit his burden next to her futon. “The bathhouse will be made available to you at 1600 hours, the same as last year, and then I will assist you into your regalia.”
 
“I appreciate that; see you then.”
 
He gave her another of those brief, considering glances before bowing himself out the door. Kagome kicked the bolt into place, scrubbed her hands through her hair and proceeded to give herself a thorough sponge-bath. I really hope Yash gets here soon… I want to spend as much time with him as possible… Dressed and her hair tied back, Fenik at her hip, Kagome let herself out into the corridor to find another servant awaiting her. Inclining her head in response to his bow, she followed him down the polished planking of the hallway to the staircase, her mind elsewhere. This year's festival has been a bust so far; no Yashita to flirt with, no Shimano to tease… pounded Kogashu though, so it wasn't a dead loss. Wonder if wolfling will be at breakfast, or if it will be just me and Sessaki? Oh, boy… do I dare ask if he'd meet with Inuyasha? No, better not, because then I'd have to admit I'd spilled the beans about Shiori… sort of. Argh! The first warning twinges began to throb her temples. Wonderful… this is going to be a great day, I can just tell
 
It was a very subdued Celestial Bodyguard who followed the servant through the gardens to face an intimate breakfast with a wolf. The man bowed respectfully and backed away as she ascended the two steps to the veranda and entered under the curving eaves to be greeted with a disturbingly-cheery and therefore booming-voiced Kogashu.
 
“Morning, princess! Ready to face the best that the Imperial kitchens have to offer?”
 
Kagome barely managed not to wince. “Where's Lord Sessaki?”
 
“In a meeting with your future step-father,” Kogashu grinned. “Apparently certain members of your family are creating red tape again.”
 
“I can tell you're dying to for me to ask what's going on…”
 
“Couldn't tell you even if I knew; `top secret', `flow of time', and all that.”
 
“Could you pipe down a bit, wolfling? I have a headache.”
 
He peered at her. “I barely landed a hit on you last night. Any bruising isn't my fault… but you might want to check with your room-mate of last night!”
 
She took a half-hearted swipe at him. “I know, I know… but could you still lower the volume a notch?”
 
“Ah… what did the pup do now?”
 
“Why does everyone blame him if I look off-colour?” she growled.
 
“Aren't you just Little Miss Sunshine this morning… come on up, boys… say good morning to a real bitch.”
 
Kagome broke off her glare at Kogashu to beam cheerfully at the two men dressed in Imperial livery hesitating on the pavilion's veranda. “Good morning! How are my `brothers' today?” Both men broke out into wide smiles and bowed before stepping under the eaves. Kagome hopped up and gave each of them a bear hug, causing them to duck their heads and vivid blushes to cover their cheeks. Grinning, she reached up to tug Gen's ear and ran her hand over Hake's bristled skull. “You two look great; nice to see you not sweaty and gasping from chasing this guy all over Honshu for once!”
 
“Thanks, Lady Kagome. It's so good to see you.”
 
“Our families will be thrilled to meet you tonight, Lady Kagome.”
 
She cocked her head on the side, smirking. “Wives, eh? I take it that having Lady Ayame as your alpha had some fringe benefits?”
 
They blushed even harder and squirmed. “Yes, Lady Kagome… both of our wives are members of Lady Ayame's clan.”
 
“Any kids?”
 
Hake puffed up his chest while Gen smiled proudly. “I have three girls, and Hake has two girls and two boys.”
 
“Sounds like you two, plus that reprobate over there, are doing a fine job of rebuilding your pack all on your own.” Kagome ushered the two farther into the pavilion and saw them settled on cushions before taking her own seat. Kogashu waved over the servants, who began serving up bowls of rice porridge studded with raisins, platters of sliced fruit and they fell to with a will, discussing the wolves' families… and Kagome discovered that Kogashu's youngest son, Goro, would be in Sota's echelon at the Academy in two weeks time.
 
“You couldn't come up with a better name than `fifth son' for the poor kid?” she asked, arching an eyebrow at Kogashu.
 
“Just you wait, princess… when you and mutt-face get around to producing your own brats, we'll see what you two come up with. It took Sessaki and Lady Rin nearly six months to decide on a name for their sprog.”
 
“Six months? For a single name?”
 
“They had a girl's name picked out almost right from the start… it was the boy's name that caused the problem. Seems Lady Rin didn't really want `death' or any of its variations in the wee mite's moniker…”
 
“Can't say I blame her,” Kagome muttered. “Thank goodness they had a girl.” I hope that whichever name Sessaki was bent on isn't `suggested' for my kid down the line! Yukihime and Shikoro's kid can be gifted with it. Hmm… I wonder if Yash has any weird ideas about baby names… damn, damned, damnable… something else I really don't need to think about right now! Shaking her head slightly to clear that thought, she changed the topic to the choice of the Imperial kata that they would use in the morning's rehearsal.
 
Once they'd sorted out which of the kata to use, Hake began describing a Thai-style boxing competition he'd seen the previous night on television and soon there was a lively debate raging over the superiority of Japanese martial arts to those from the mainland.
 
In the midst of the laughter, the good-natured chivvying and the sunlit morning in the Imperial gardens, Kagome set down her plate of strawberries and bowed her head. The pavilion gradually fell silent as her lack of participation in the conversation became obvious. While Gen and Hake looked on in concern, Kogashu reached over and lightly touched her arm. “What's the matter, princess?” he gently asked.
 
Her voice gravely with suppressed emotion, she kept her eyes hidden under her bangs but her clenched fists gave away her stress. “Last year, this festival was just a distraction from the `real action' of the shard hunt, and I couldn't wait to get back to the other side.” Taking a deep, sobbing breath, she pinched the bridge of her nose before continuing, “This year… this is my refuge from all the shit happening on the other side of the well.”
 
“Kagome…” Kogashu felt at a bit of a loss, to see the vibrant young woman seemingly coming apart in front of him. She's really in danger of cracking… this is not good! I'd better let Sessaki know ASAP… where the hell is Yashita? His woman needs some support!
 
“Lady Kagome, you know that you are critical to Naraku's defeat…” Gen ventured cautiously.
 
Damp grey eyes rose to his, and Kagome managed a weak smile. “Don't worry; I'm going back. It is my duty… but I wish it was all over, and I could stay here where there aren't any blood, guts or death caused by that bastard.” Wiping her eyes on her sleeve, she picked up the plate and finished eating her fruit in the awkward silence that followed. Returning the empty plate to the tray, she grasped her katana and rose to her feet. “All right… shall we go kick up some gravel before the sun gets too hot?”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Afternoon of the New Moon Festival
 
Picking the sesame seeds left over from a delicious bento-box lunch out of her teeth, Kagome wended her way up the stairs to the Crimson Phoenix Room for a well-deserved afternoon nap. Sparring with Gen and Hake had been a tremendous amount of fun, once the men had overcome their initial nerves. Fenik hadn't helped, displaying a tendency to spit sparks if one of them came too close; she'd finally had to threaten to set him aside in favour of a non-demonic sword to make him co-operate.
 
But Nixie… they're wolves!
They are also my co-performers in this little show we're putting on for the Emperor.
I don't like them so close to you
They're pretending to attack me, so of course they have to come close.
If one of them touches you
Kogashu will kick his butt.
He won't hit them hard enough…
Of course he will, or Yash will thump him.
Why not cut out the middle-demon and just let me
No.
Dammit, Nixie… you just won't let me have any fun, will you?
You're so cute when you pout, Fenik.
Grrr. Bite me, bird-girl.
 
After a quick pit stop in the privy, she pushed the panel open and stepped into the silk-panelled room. The window screen was wide open, allowing cooler air into the room from the shady side of the building. Her foot grazed a lidded wooden bucket just inside the door, which proved to be full of hot water. Someone's being thoughtful; I worked up a helluva sweat out there before we moved into a dojo to finish the rehearsal. Stripping off her clothes and folding them into a pile, leaning her sword against the kimono stand, Kagome made use of the supplied cloth and towel to refresh herself before tidying up the water she splattered onto the venerable wood floor. She then crawled into the freshly-made futon, covering herself with only the linen sheet.
 
Lying quietly in the stillness, her fingertips worrying the delicate hair bracelets, Kagome wondered if Yashita's flight had arrived. I really miss him.... what if he doesn't show up? Then I'll really have to ask Sessaki… oh, man… I'm doomed. Last year at this time, the toughest decision I had to make was between kissing Yashita or Inuyasha; as it turned out, I didn't have to choose at all… Smiling quietly to herself, comparing the frivolity of last year's decision to the gravity of this year's issues, she rolled onto her side and managed to relax into a light doze.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“We're almost there, Yash… settle down!” Shimano yanked firmly on Yashita's arm, forcing the older man back into his seat of the Academy car; he received a fiery glare for his trouble. “You can't just go haring off out there. It's broad daylight and someone will report you for sure. It isn't the airline's fault that there was such a long delay landing at Narita this morning.”
 
“I know, runt. It's just that…”
 
Shimano checked his watch. “They've barely finished lunch; we'll be there in plenty of time for you to spend the afternoon with her.”
 
“She's supposed to be resting before the evening performance…”
 
“So? `Rest' with her. Sessaki isn't going to say anything if you do crash her room; he knows how long you've been apart… and he was appreciative of the fact that you restrained your temper so well once all the shit hit the fan in Okinawa.”
 
“Yeah… you're right… he does owe me one for settling things without an international incident.”
 
The kitsune gently swatted the hanyou's shoulder. “He owes both of us, so I'll lend you mine for more free time with Kagome.” Grinning at the expression on Yashita's face, Shimano stretched his long legs out to the side, resting them on top of the hanyou's shins. “I'm sure looking forward to seeing Kogane and the kids. That was a long two months; I wonder who'll be tapped for baby-sitting duty for my two youngest, since Sota and Akagane are busy tonight?”
 
“Who tangled with those hellions last year?”
 
“Masa and Shina Kosaru.”
 
Yashita snorted. “All Masa has to do is threaten to slap a couple of sutras on them and they'll be angels. Now, you might have to offer him and his sister a bonus on top of the regular hazard pay to do it again.”
 
“The trouble is, the kids have learned a couple of new tricks since last year…”
 
“You're hooped. You'll be stuck at home every night until those two are three hundred.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Yashita hesitated slightly outside the door of Kagome's room, his hand on the frame. The car had barely stopped moving in the courtyard before he shot out and practically flew up the ancient stone stairs, barely remembering to salute the duty guardsmen on his way past and ignoring Shimano's shouted farewell. He really should have detoured to his office and changed into his dress haori from his rumpled fatigues, but… I need to see her… He quietly tested the door, grimacing when it slid open. Silly wench, leaving the door unlocked like that… anyone could walk inlike a desperate husband. He slipped through the panel, pivoted, and carefully closed it behind him. Inhaling deeply, his eyes closed, he dropped his concealment spell and then turned around.
 
She was turned away from him, lying on her side facing the window, the sheet kicked down around her knees. Mouth instantly dry, he froze in place, greedily drinking in the contours on full display. Kagome sighed lightly in her sleep and stretched a bit; he swallowed at the sight of her slender thighs, firm behind, the sweet dimples bookending her spine just below her slim waist, her dark hair trailing over the pillow and onto the floor… and then he smirked. Too bad I don't have a camera handy! Have to keep up my rep as a semi-professional `stalker'…
 
Taking off his boots and lining them up neatly with her rather battered pair beside the door… I'll tell Shimano that she needs new ones… Yashita crossed the room on cat's-paw feet to the sleeping woman and knelt on the edge of the futon. His intention was to cover her up with the sheet and then gently kiss her awake, but as soon as he gripped the sheet in his claws he was distracted by Kohaku's mark, the long horizontal scar on her back. I couldn't protect you that day… I was so lucky not to lose you… Yashita bent and pressed a soft kiss to the healed injury, nuzzling her slightly before pulling back and drawing the sheet up to her waist.
 
As he leaned over her to catch hold of the sheet and tug it up in front, he was brought face to face with the angry-looking scar on her bicep, also inflicted by Sango's brother that day, and he couldn't help the growl that rose in his throat. Ducking his head, he slowly traced that marker of her courage with his lips; he didn't notice that his bangs brushed over the sensitive skin of her breasts, causing her eyelashes to flutter open. Concentrating on her scent, he allowed his lips to rove over her velvety skin, leaving little goose-bumps in the wake of his touch. He was momentarily puzzled when he came across four small scabs sealing shallow punctures decorating the top of her shoulder, and then flushed when he remembered who had put them there and under what circumstances. Slowly running his tongue over the marks, he moved his attentions closer to her throat, half-drunk on her scent.
 
Kagome was at first unwilling to awaken from a lovely dream where the mission was over and nobody died until she realized that her neck was being tenderly kissed by a warm, wonderful presence with a familiar demonic aura. “Inuyasha?” she whispered, turning her head towards her visitor, and he jumped a little. He'd been so intent on what he was doing that he'd completely missed the warning signs of her impending wakefulness.
 
Grinning sheepishly, he leaned over her so that she could see him without straining her neck. “Hello, koishii. Sorry if I woke you… oomph!”
 
Kagome rolled onto her back, lunged upwards and wrapped her arms tightly around his neck, pulling him down on top of her in a position that he knew his libido would be unable to ignore. Bad idea… bad idea… I am so dead if Sessaki walks in that door since I didn't lock it either… he was undone when Kagome spread her thighs and allowed him to settle into his natural place, with only his camouflage trousers and a thin piece of sheeting between them… and the answering rush of blood to his groin made him slightly dizzy. “Kagome…”
 
“Oh, Yash… I missed you so much!”
 
Her rasping whisper was too much for him; he slid his hands under her shoulder blades and clasped her tightly to him, burying his face in the warm skin of her throat. Mouthing her pulse, he listened to her breathing, very conscious of the fact that her body lay open and accepting beneath him… and his body was straining to respond. He caught himself rocking his hips against hers, and groaned through his teeth when she pressed back with full intent. Muttering an oath, he slid away from temptation and onto his side, pulling her into his chest and quickly trapping her hands when they attempted to head south. “Stop, Kagome… not a good idea…” he murmured, trying very hard to ignore his youkai's frustrated screaming.
 
She twisted a hand loose and cupped his cheek, running her thumb across his stripe. He stared into silver-flecked eyes gone dark with desire and felt the answering tightness in his groin at the unmistakeable scent of her arousal. “Inuyasha… I'm so glad you're here. The past two months have been so difficult… I wanted to talk to you so badly.” Kagome paused and smiled softly up at him. “But first… a kiss for my hanyou…” Sliding her hand around the nape of his neck to catch hold of his braid, she drew him down for a long, wet kiss that did absolutely nothing to calm his raging desire… and from the enticing smells swirling around his nose, she was more than ready for his attentions.
 
Bad idea… bad ideagods, I'm going to lose it! Breaking the kiss in order to hang onto the barest shred of his sanity, he struggled to maintain his control without having to be tied up in a straight jacket in the corner of Sessaki's office on the other side of the Imperial Palace. “What did you want to talk to me about, koishii?” he asked, trying desperately to rein in both his instincts and the situation. He was rather unprepared when Kagome wound her hands into the front of his fatigues and gave every appearance of fighting back tears. “Koishii?”
 
Kagome began to sniffle. “I… it's… oh, Yash… I wish I didn't… it's too hard… I can't…”
 
Catching her hand, he stilled the frantic twisting of the heavy material and kissed her forehead. “Shhhh, Kagome. Just relax and tell me what's bothering you.” He was rather unprepared for her single-word answer.
 
“Shiori.”
 
Pulling back, he looked deeply into her tear-filled eyes. “I don't understand… why is Shiori upsetting you?” Kagome couldn't answer right away, and he had a growing sense of unease. I haven't thought of her in centuries… Silver hair, glowing red-violet eyes and a brilliant smile filled his memories, along with Shippo's devastation. Could that be it? Who told her?
 
“I know that Shiori dies, Yash... but unlike Miroku and Sango and Kaede, the fact that she's not alive any more is really bothering me…”
 
“How do you know?” he asked quietly, mentally planning the best way to break the idiot's neck.
 
“Sessaki.”
 
Stunned was an understatement; Yashita's jaw dropped. “What? He told you? After threatening my life if I let anything slip…”
 
“It's my fault… I asked him outright, and the knowledge has been killing me ever since.” Kagome choked as tears began sliding into her hair; Yashita bent to quickly kiss them away. “She's just so alive and so happy, always hanging off your hakama, wanting you to take her flying… yesterday morning she asked if she could be your kit…”
 
The long-ago memory of the hot summer morning that they introduced the rest of their group to frozen fruit juice, and a little bat hanyou had cried in his arms because she wanted to be like Shippo nearly brought tears to his eyes as well. “I remember, Kagome… she's been gone so long from this end of time…” As she began to cry in earnest, Yashita held her tightly against him and soothingly ran his claws through her hair while he thought. When Kagome's sobs subsided, he spoke in a soft voice. “Etsu was happily remarried not long after the well closed, and Shiori had four human half-siblings. She and Shippo stayed at the village as its protectors, continuing where we left off.”
 
“S-she was grown up… not a child anymore?” Kagome quavered.
 
Yashita squeezed her gently before replying. “Her mother and step-father were long dead, and her half-brothers and sisters were grandparents in their own right.”
 
He had to pause, and kissed Kagome's forehead to cover his own emotions. “Shippo's second tail had fully grown in by the time it happened; he and Shiori were very close, Kagome… so much so that we were expecting an imminent announcement that fox-bat pups were on the way.”
 
Kagome's fingers tightened in his jacket. “Oh, no…”
 
“I was living at the fortress; I still couldn't be apart from Sesshomaru for more than a couple of days at a time without losing control. By the time we found out, it was far too late.” He closed his eyes for a moment, remembering the scene that had greeted he and his brother when they arrived at Edo in the aftermath of the attack. “Oda Nobunaga had declared war on the Buddhist warrior-monks at Mt. Hiei because they had the audacity to beat him on the battlefield. After that, and the execution of three of his relatives, any monk was fair game to his forces. A group of soldiers attacked the village because one of Miroku and Sango's sons had been ordained and established a small monastic retreat with Kaede's successor's blessing.”
 
“Kaede's… successor?”
 
“The boy's sister; the houshi actually had a fair bit of spiritual power once the `Vortex' no longer required restraint, and passed it on to his eldest children.”
 
“That's quite unusual, isn't it? For one family to supply a Shinto priestess and a Buddhist monk?”
 
“No more unusual than a village that not only approved this unorthodox religious arrangement but welcomed both youkai and hanyou with open arms.”
 
“I suppose…”
 
“Shippo and Shiori led the defence; you would have been so proud of both of them, Kagome. They held off the attackers with the villagers' assistance over the course of two days while word was sent to the fortress for help, but finally Shiori went down, an arrow in her throat.”
 
“B-but… she's a hanyou… a mere arrow shouldn't have…”
 
“She was in human form at the time, Kagome, and rapidly bled to death. The attackers had happened to strike at the moment of her greatest vulnerability. However, they didn't have long to celebrate.” Yashita's eyes grew dark and his hand stilled its calming motion through Kagome's hair. “Shippo transformed for the first time into his fox form and rampaged through their lines; there were no survivors.”
 
“Oh, gods…” She buried herself in Yashita's chest, sobbing for the doomed little girl who grew up to be Shippo's first love and then was cut down before her time. Yashita squeezed his eyes closed, willing himself not to cry as well, and began purring deep in his throat until her trembling quieted.
 
“Shippo was devastated at Shiori's loss, but he survived because they weren't yet mated. I took him back to the fortress and gave him to the staff to fuss over; it took him nearly two hundred years to get over her death. In some ways, I don't think he fully healed until he met Kogane. She's been so good for him in so many ways.”
 
“Oh, Yash… it's so sad…”
 
“She died protecting the people and place she loved, Kagome. Sesshomaru sent regular patrols to safeguard Edo after that and the village prospered, until it became the city we know today.” He nuzzled her hair until she tilted her tear-streaked face up to him; he carefully wiped her cheeks with his fingers.
 
Kagome smiled tiredly and a bit sadly as she traced his jaw with her fingertip. “This time-looping thing is hard to take, but… I feel a bit better knowing the full story of Shiori's fate. It'll still be hard when I see her on the other side, so full of life, and my heart just breaks for Shippo… but Kogane is a lovely person. Without her, there wouldn't be Akagane, and my brother wouldn't be so happy.”
 
Yashita kissed her gently, then tucked her under his chin. He was startled when she went completely rigid and popped back out to look at him with wide eyes. “Yash, I'm in a real bind… Inuyasha wants to know… ah, I mean, you want to know about our `ally' on this side because you figured out I was upset over Shiori… and I'm afraid of the questions you'll ask… do you remember the conversation at all?” Her fingers anxiously twisted his fatigues again.
 
He didn't, but also didn't want her to know that. “Come here, koishii…” He cuddled her against his chest and rested his chin on the top of her head. “Why don't you have a nap, and I'll think about it while you sleep.”
 
“Could you take off your fatigues first, so your pocket flap doesn't poke me in the eye?”
 
Chuckling, he allowed her to unbutton the jacket and then shrugged awkwardly out of it. Kagome snuggled into his tee-shirted chest and fished the silver chain holding their wedding bands out of the neckline, playing with the interlocking rings until her breathing became even and her limbs slackened.
 
Yashita exhaled slowly and studied the intricately carved phoenixes on the lacquered beams with a jaundiced expression. Shit. Think, hanyou, think…what questions did I ask five hundred years ago in a conversation that I can't remember?
 
He was saved from further fruitless ransacking of his memory banks by the arrival of someone who he really didn't want to see right now… but at least he wasn't in danger of being caught with his trousers down. Purely on principle, he bared his fangs in a soundless warning snarl at the interloper, who merely arched an elegant eyebrow as he stepped into the room.
 
Sessaki slid the door closed and glided towards them. Gracefully seating himself beside the futon, he neatly arranged his robes while watching the couple through his lashes. Detecting the mixed scents of arousal and sorrow, then noting Kagome's state of undress beneath the sheet as well as how she was tucked into his brother's body, he gave Yashita a questioning look.
 
“What the hell can be so important that you have to barge in here?” Yashita hissed, barely controlling an urge to smack the taiyoukai for his intrusion. Instead, he brought the sheet up to insulate Kagome from Sessaki's glance and curved his arms around her more securely.
 
“There was a small emotional incident this morning.”
 
“No shit. How easy do you think it is for her? She's supposed to save the world, and keep her lives on both sides of the well separate, with no screw-ups to interrupt the `flow of time'? She's exhausted.”
 
“I agree; yet, there is nothing we can do for her except assist her survival in the field.”
 
“Why did you tell her about Shiori?”
 
Sessaki shifted. “She asked a direct question, and I chose not to lie.”
 
“That knowledge nearly tore her apart, you asshole.”
 
“She will be far more cautious with her questions in the future.”
 
Yashita gritted his fangs, but stilled when Kagome murmured in her sleep. Running his claws through her hair, he gently massaged the nape of her neck with his thumb, breathing her scent and calming himself. “Look, can you possibly see your way to leaving us alone for a while? I'm trying to remember what happened tonight from my younger self's perspective and your ugly mug is rather distracting…”
 
“She is yours until approximately midnight.”
 
“Ah… what?” Yashita boggled first at the way his brother phrased the statement, and then the amount of time indicated.
 
“At Lady Higurashi's request, I have arranged a pass for the pup to enter the grounds after the festivities end tonight. Surely you remember that?” Sessaki cocked his head on the side, entertained by Yashita's obvious confusion turning into dawning remembrance.
 
“Right… okay… I went… and then… waitaminute… you showed up.”
 
It was Sessaki's turn to blink. “Explain.”
 
“I wanted to meet our `ally' on this side because I had some questions about how he knew so much about our mission. I, er, that is... the pup upset Kagome by asking her to identify you this morning.”
 
“Which undoubtedly caused her tears in the breakfast pavilion.”
 
“Shit… he made her cry, too? Dammit…”
 
“I had not anticipated a confrontation with your younger self.” Sessaki brushed imaginary lint from his sleeve, his expression thoughtful… until a certain anticipatory gleam grew in his spell-darkened eyes. “This is a perfect opportunity; with his depleted human senses, I would remain undetected… just as your presence in her bed right now will go unremarked.”
 
Yashita eyed him, suddenly cautious at his brother's enthusiasm for this meeting… and then he remembered his younger self's response, he grimaced. “Do you want a brief run-down in advance of the questions I asked?”
 
“Not in the least. The challenge is most intriguing.” Sessaki gave him a very direct look. “I'm sure you do remember that Kagome will face her greatest challenge in the coming weeks, which is another reason why I am permitting you to take liberties with her. Be careful, brother…”
 
“For fuck's sake…”
 
“…in what you tell her.” Steely yellow eyes pinned his retort in his throat. “There cannot be any deviations from the past, no matter how painful it is to keep this information from her.”
 
“If only it had been me, not her…” Yashita ground out, the bile rising in his throat and roughening his voice at the memory of what was to come.
 
“Would the truce have been extended without her ordeal? I think not.” Sessaki smoothly rose from his spot, flicking the heavy silk damask sleeves of his dark blue haori into order before inclining his head ever so slightly to his brother. Yashita watched him narrowly until Sessaki disappeared through the door and it shut with a definite `click'.
 
She's all mine this afternoon and much of the evening… I'll make the most of it, since I won't see her for quite a while... but dammit! He had to bring that up! Finally able to relax, he managed to doze off with his Kagome in his arms, and for the next couple of hours, all was very well in his world.
 
Kagome awakened slowly, aware that there was warm breath on her hair and a comforting presence wrapped around her. Oh, Yash… she curled her fingers into his tee-shirt and stretched up to kiss his throat. Stroking his dark blue cheek stripe with her fingertips, she watched his face as he slowly swam back to consciousness
 
Yashita roused within a few moments, aware of the change in her heartbeat, and very unwilling to give up the pleasant sensations of her touch on his markings and her warm body in his arms. All good things must come to an end… Catching her wrist, he raised her hand to kiss her fingertips, and then opened his eyes to meet her softly sparkling ones. She giggled when he pressed a tender kiss to her forehead and then she squirmed slightly upwards until they were face to face. Smiling gently, she kissed along his cheek stripe, up over his brow and down his nose until she playfully nipped the tip. When he growled lightly, she kissed his lips, turning the grumbling noise into a quiet sigh.
 
Rising up on his elbow, he leaned over her, studying all the planes and angles of her dear face, noting the dark circles under her eyes and how the scars on her cheek stood out against her pale skin. Dropping kisses along her jaw, he was caught by surprise when her arms slipped up around his neck and she pulled him down to her.
 
“It's time to go, koishii. The bath house is ready for you…” Willing himself not to give in to his desires, he tried to gently stave off her embrace, but Kagome had other ideas.
 
“Please, Yash… we don't get many chances to be together… ” Her voice was breathy and urgent, and her curves felt so good against him that he nearly gave in, but the thought of what Sessaki would do to him gave him renewed strength to protest.
 
“I don't think I can trust my control…”
 
“Relax, koibito. Just… give yourself to me, please?” Kagome's eyes were very dark and wistful, and he felt his determination flag. Then, an impish grin danced across her lips. “I can always purify you if you get out of hand…”
 
“Gee, thanks, wench.” Chuckling a bit, some of the tension left him… until she pulled his tee-shirt out of the waistband of his fatigues and ran her warm hands over his bare skin. “Kagome… we can't…”
 
“If you're saying `no' because of Sessaki, forget about him. If you're worried about losing it and taking me without my consent… well, you've had my permission since the elevator incident…”
 
“I told you that I wouldn't be able to let you go if we made love, Kagome, and that hasn't changed.”
 
“I know… but some things are worth the risk.” She cupped his cheek and ran her thumb over his lips while her other hand remained splayed over his lower back. He stopped, staring intently into her dark eyes.
 
“W-what do you mean?”
 
“I want to feel your skin against mine, have your arms around me like I belong to you… please, Inuyasha?” While he hesitated, she dropped her hand from his face and pulled the sheet away, baring herself to him. At his sucked-in breath, she ran both hands up under his shirt, bunching the khaki material around his chest, then pulling him down flush against her until they were hip-to-hip and heart-to-heart.
 
He kept his arms flexed, as if he intended to push off and flee, but his resolve broke at the feel of her soft, yielding body under his and her warm breath on his throat as she murmured into his skin, “I need you, koibito… hold me close…”
 
Letting out a helpless whine, he tore himself free of the shirt and threw it aside, his silver braid sliding across his back to thump lightly onto the futon. Holding Kagome's intense gaze with his own, he slowly and carefully slid his hands under her until they were warmly entwined and nose-to-nose. She smiled softly as she wrapped her arms more snugly around his muscled torso and lightly kissed his chin. “Thank you… you feel so good.”
 
He dipped his head to kiss the sensitive skin just in front of her ear and enjoyed her soft little sound of contentment. Nuzzling her cheek, he allowed her scent to wash over him as he listened to her heart beat, and then he forgot himself and delicately ran his tongue-tip down the side of her throat, causing her to arch up against him and her pulse to accelerate. Oh, shit
 
“Inuyasha? Is something wrong?”
 
Uhh… just don't… squirm like that… please,” he gritted out, when her responsive little movements sensitized his groin as thoroughly as the rest of his bare skin.
 
Kagome stilled under him, and he pulled back to meet a very serious gaze. He slid his hands further underneath her body and brought them up to lightly frame her face with his claw-tips, studying her eyes. Her irises, once a shifting mix of sea-storm greys, were now faceted with purest silver. Long black eyelashes fluttered down, and he moved to kiss the corner of her lips, lingering there for a long moment.
 
She caught her breath when they locked eyes again; his were molten bronze shot with brilliant gold, rich with flecks of amber and topaz. The emotion between them was too intense; Kagome dropped her eyes to his soft-looking lips, and licked her own while collecting herself enough to make her request. “Will you kiss me… as if I'm yours? As if we don't… have to part?”
 
It was Yashita's turn to hold very still, looking deeply into her wide, silvery gaze and seeing the both the love and the want mirrored there. He contemplated his expected life span for a few seconds if Sessaki were to return and catch him in a very compromising position, mentally shrugged, and decided to take a calculated risk with his wife and his instincts. Very conscious of the heat between them, that they were truly playing with fire, he slowly lowered his head until their lips just brushed. As if she were afraid that he would pull back after that slight contact, Kagome tightened her grasp on him and raised herself off the pillow, capturing his mouth again.
 
The resulting kiss was long, tender and searching, a slow exploration of each other's mouths that both built and banked their desires. When the need for air became overwhelming, they broke the kiss and simply gazed at each other, the rest of the world blocked out of their reality. When Kagome whispered, “I love you, Inuyasha,” all he could do was take her mouth again, pouring his thanks into the contact between their lips and tongues until she was whimpering with desire. Slipping one hand out from under her, he lightly palmed her breast, rumbling a little when she arched her back and pushed the soft flesh against his hand.
 
His purr became louder when her hands stroked their way from his back to his waist, and her thumbs found the top curls of his hip stripes where they arched above the waistband of his fatigues. Their touches remained slow rather than frantic, but there was no denying what this intimate contact would lead to if they stepped over the line.
 
Yashita had to wrench himself out of a lust-induced haze when Kagome bucked her hips against his. “No, koishii… no. Don't tease…”
 
The girl whimpered softly in both frustration and sorrow. “I'm sorry, koibito… I just… I want….”
 
He slid off her again but pressed his camouflage-restrained erection against her hip while laying warm, open-mouthed kisses across the top curve of her breasts. When she gasped and instinctively arched into the caress, he briefly tested his control by brushing his lips over her hardened nipples… and the force of his youkai's response to her gasped plea for more nearly overwhelmed him. Gritting his fangs, he slowly pulled away, catching her hands when she tried to keep him close. Grasping her slender wrists in one hand, he caught the sheet with the other and drew it up to cover her trembling body.
 
Yashita met her pleading gaze with a calmness he didn't really feel. “Stay there… don't move,” he quietly commanded, not releasing her wrists until she lay perfectly still, watching him with wide, questioning eyes. He moved off the futon, never taking his gaze from hers while putting some distance between them.
 
Kagome could have cried at the loss of contact, of his warmth and strength, but she knew that he had to do this, that they couldn't muddy the already conflicted waters of her life beyond recovery. Instead, she slowly sat up, twisting her hands into the sheet covering her breasts, hiding her face behind her hair.
 
“I'm only trying to protect you, Kagome.”
 
“You said that this morning, too.” She glanced at him, then looked away, feeling the tears beginning to burn as her burden of knowledge and responsibility settled back into place, bowing her slender shoulders with its full weight.
 
Koishii…”
 
“I'm sorry, Yash… I shouldn't have asked that of you.”
 
Her use of his modern name stung a little; he didn't reply as he retrieved his tee-shirt and pulled it over his head. Yanking his braid free of the neckline, he looked for something to cover her with and located the dark red haori. Catching the garment in his claws, he rose onto his knees and swung it around her shoulders. “You don't have to worry about the pup's questions; it's been taken care of,” he murmured as he pulled away.
 
Kagome's slim fingers caught at his hand and she squeezed tightly; he quickly relented and gathered the shaking girl into his arms, pressing kisses to the crown of her head as she buried her face in his chest and repeatedly whispered, “I'm sorry, I'm sorry...”
 
Shhh… I love you, Kagome… I would do anything for you… you know that… hush, koishii…” He rocked her gently, stroking her hair until she quieted. “We have a busy night ahead of us; how about that bath?” She nodded, not giving up her place next to his heart, wishing she could stay forever in the circle of his arms. “Sessaki has given me permission to stay at your side tonight… if you'll have me….” Her fierce hug gave him his answer, and he couldn't help but smile at the strength of her reassurance. “Okay… let's go, wench… I'll guard the bath house entrance since Shimano's gone home to see his family.” Yashita helped her to stand up on the futon, then found her red-and-gold obi and looped it around her slender waist, tying it neatly in a simple knot. Throughout this exercise, Kagome remained silent, following him with those heartbreakingly eloquent eyes.
 
Stepping off the futon, she collected the towel left earlier by Suzume and slipped into a pair of geta, then waited by the door for Yashita to pick up his camouflage jacket and lace up his own boots. As she placed her hand on the door panel, preparing to slide it open, he caught her chin in gentle fingers and tilted her face up for a chaste kiss. “Being with you this afternoon, holding you in my arms, feeling your skin against mine… it made the last eight weeks worthwhile, Kagome. These stolen moments mean everything to me… they give me the strength to keep going even when I feel like I'm losing my mind.”
 
“Inuyasha…”
 
“Don't start crying, wench. You have an Emperor to charm, and a morose Celestial Bodyguard just won't cut it. Besides, if you go into dinner looking all teary-eyed, Kogashu will try to start something with me, and we can't have the `Spirits of Darkness' being pulverized before you have a chance at them.”
 
“Actually, Fenik wouldn't mind if you did take a round out of my `brothers'; he's having trouble accepting wolves in my vicinity.”
 
“That's my boy…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“All right, princess… you ready to rumble?”
 
Kagome chuckled at Kogashu as she and Yashita entered the pavilion to join the others for dinner. Dropping onto a handy cushion and pulling another one over for Yashita, she grinned broadly at the demon wearing the full trappings of his position as Imperial First Spear. “Ready to kick some furry butt, wolfling!”
 
“Good to hear; welcome back, dog-breath.” Yashita replied with a rude gesture as he seated himself next to Kagome and neatly lined up the Tetsusaiga with Fenikkusuken on the tatami before them. The two swords emitted audible pulses, then fell silent. Kogashu eyed the weaponry. “That blade of yours is going to behave itself tonight, right? No spectral dogs biting the performers or anything like that?”
 
That would be rather difficult to explain.” All heads swivelled as the Imperial First Sword arrived, resplendent in formal indigo blue silk robes. Sessaki held Kagome's eye for a moment before switching his attention to Yashita; she saw his nostrils flare slightly, and knew he was checking to see that they'd behaved themselves. Wonder what he'd do if we didn't? Apparently satisfied, he nodded and swept past them to take a cushion on Yashita's left. A moment later, Tenseiga was laid on the other side of Fenikkusuken, and all present jumped when a single, rather loud thrum vibrated the wooden building. Kagome couldn't take her eyes from the faintly glowing tendrils of coloured vapour lazily twining around the three hilts.
 
“Damn… is it safe to have those fangs so close together?” Kogashu surreptitiously shifted a little farther away.
 
Yashita smirked at the uncomfortable wolf prince. “Maybe not for you…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Do you have to go now, Yash?” Kagome murmured, twisting her fingers into the sleeve of his black dress haori as they stood to the side of the gravelled area after her battle with the `Spirits of Darkness' was completed. They were briefly alone after she had been introduced to Gen's and Hake's pretty, good-natured wives who had greeted her like a long-lost sister.
 
“I think Kogashu owes me a beer; got a better offer?” he teased.
 
Kagome stepped closer and pressed her armoured-and-silk-muffled body lightly against his side. “I know you don't want to be too close to your younger self, but… I really don't want you to leave…”
 
He sought for her hand hidden in their voluminous sleeves and squeezed her fingers in lieu of a public kiss, which would violate so many regulations he didn't want to think about it. “I can stay with you a little longer; the pup isn't here tonight.”
 
“He… he isn't?” She was shocked, and her brain instantly spun into puzzling out what Inuyasha could be possibly doing on the night of the New Moon, especially since all of her family were in attendance at the festival.
 
“Nope. He'll be by later, apparently. Shall we go say hello to your mother?” He offered her his arm and Kagome obediently rested her gauntleted hand on the back of his wrist, her mind still whirling with concerns. They made their way through the crowd, pausing occasionally to pose for photographs, until they reached a beaming Kioko Higurashi robed in cobalt blue with an equally-pleased looking Gitoumaru at her side. He in turn was lending a supportive hand to Ojii-san, who smiled proudly at Kagome.
 
“Magnificent, granddaughter. Your father would have been so proud… who is this?” He broke off abruptly and squinted up at Yashita, who politely bowed to the old man, Kioko, and a rather short nod to Gitoumaru. The other inu-youkai gravely nodded back, the corners of his lips twitching.
 
Kagome thought quickly. “Ah, er… may I introduce Lord Yashita, Ojii-san? He is a sensei at the Academy.”
 
“Pleased to meet you, young man. I understand you will have the honour of my grandson's presence in your august halls of learning.”
 
“Yes, I do, Higurashi-san… well, this is going to be an interesting year.” Kagome looked over to see why Yashita sounded rather amused… and saw Sota and Akagane, both kitted out in the formal Imperial Military Academy cadet uniform, chatting with another similarly-attired youth. “Excuse me…” With another bow to the group at large and gentle tug on Kagome's arm, Yashita led her towards the three teens. As they approached, Akagane touched Sota's sleeve and they broke off their conversation, straightening up and then bowing very formally to the two adults. The other boy looked Yashita up and down before following their lead, albeit rather slowly. Yashita crossed his arms over his chest and narrowly inspected the threesome.
 
“Higurashi, Kasuru… and Ihoku.”
 
“Hai, sensei!” Kagome arched her eyebrow at the chorused response, then winked at Akagane before turning her attention to the dark-haired Ihoku… who cracked a cheeky grin at her as his dark eyes flashed briefly brilliant emerald. She blinked, and then Yashita growled in what would be a rather threatening tone in twelve hours or so.
 
“Watch it, brat… I wouldn't plan on causing any disruptions in my classes if I were you.”
 
The boy had the audacity to smirk at the glowering hanyou. “You bark pretty loud, sensei, but after all, you're just a dog.” Kagome's jaw dropped, and Sota and Akagane looked scandalized.
 
Yashita grinned evilly. “I have your mother's written and verbal permission to discipline you as I see fit. I suggest you remember that.” It was the teen's turn to gape, and Kagome noted that he paled somewhat before pulling the tattered remains of his bravado together and bowing very stiffly and correctly to Yashita.
 
“Hai, sensei. I will remember.”
 
“Your ass is mine in two weeks, Ihoku. Dismissed.”
 
“H-hai, sensei.” He bowed again and fled.
 
Kagome watched him go, chewing her lip. “So that was…?”
 
“Kogashu's youngest brat, Goro Ihoku.” Yashita grinned again before turning to address Sota and Akagane. “You two watch yourselves around him; I wouldn't put it past him to try and split you up just to be a prick.”
 
“Thanks for the warning, Ojii-chan… er, sensei.” Akagane's spell-darkened eyes were a little too bright for sincerity, and she giggled into her sleeve when Yashita gently biffed her ear. Kagome quickly glanced around to make sure that her Ojii-chan didn't hear anything that might confuse him, and happily noted that Shimano and Kogane had joined their group. They were chatting away with her mother, grandfather and Gitoumaru; Shimano caught her eye and winked.
 
Smiling back, she quickly covered the distance between them and gave Kogane a hug. The vixen laughed merrily. “Being greeted by you lot in full regalia is always a bit dangerous… there's usually a sword hilt jabbing my ribs, and with Kagome, my eyes are in danger from the feathers on her arrows!” Kagome chuckled and then was enfolded in Shimano's green-silk-swathed embrace.
 
“Good to see you, Okaa-san,” he breathed in her ear, and she squeezed him back.
 
“We missed you at dinner…”
 
“The kits weren't too happy about me showing up for twenty minutes after they hadn't seen me for two months, so I hung out at home for a few hours.”
 
“Thanks for looking after Yash for me,” she whispered into his chest, and he snorted with suppressed laughter.
 
“Looking after' isn't quite the term for it; `preventing mayhem' is more like it. We'll tell you about it some day…”
 
Kagome held him tighter and murmured, “I'm… sorry about Shiori.” The kitsune froze for a moment and then nearly cracked her lacquered parade armour with the force of his hug.
 
“Thank you, Okaa-san… how do you know?” he whispered softly.
 
“I was a curious cat, but Sessaki has cured me completely. It's been really hard, carrying that knowledge; Yash told me the full story this afternoon.”
 
Shimano's lips grazed her bangs. “She was beautiful, brave and loving… can you cope?”
 
“I-I think so.”
 
“Good.” With a final squeeze, he released her, smiling softly. “Nice job you did with Gen and Hake tonight, by the way. How did you prevent your guardian dog from showing up with those two in the vicinity?”
 
“He listens to me once in a while… that, and the threat of being turned into a set of table knives keeps him at heel!” Yashita reclaimed her as Shimano chuckled, while Kogane winked at her, having kept Ojii-san distracted during the conversation.
 
“Higurashi… the Celestial Bodyguard's presence is required at the Imperial Pavilion…”
 
“Yes, sir!” Kagome bobbed a quick, generalized bow to her family and friends, then double-timed it across the gravel to be handed up onto the veranda of the Imperial pavilion by Sessaki just as the torches were doused for star-gazing purposes. The tall courtier took up his position at the foot of the stairs as she carefully arranged the lustrous kimono to keep the sleeves from becoming too crinkled, then settled back to enjoy the night sky. Of course, here in the heart of Tokyo, the city's glare made it a little difficult to see the stars, but every once in a while, a brilliant streak announcing the entry of a meteor into the earth's atmosphere would blazon the vault of the heavens.
 
Last year, I was torn between what I thought were two different men; and then I discovered they were one and the same. If wishes came true… She nodded politely, then bowed deeply to the planking when a small jar of sake and a porcelain cup arrived with the compliments of the Imperial family. Raising the brimming cup, she counted to three and tossed back the potent rice alcohol. If wishes came true, this would all be over, and I'd be safe in Inuyasha's arms.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome stayed close to Yashita's side as they ascended the stairs of the Imperial wing. The evening had gone extremely well; praise had come from the Emperor himself for the choreographed battle she, Gen and Hake had performed. She glanced up at the hanyou, caught him studying her intently and smiled back. “It was wonderful seeing everyone tonight; I really am looking forward to this event next year.”
 
His expression darkened slightly before he softly spoke. “Next year I don't have to kiss you goodnight at your door and go sleep in my brother's room… that's what I'm looking forward to.”
 
They had reached the door in question just as he said this and they stood for a long moment, just looking at each other. Yashita's concealment spell was unnecessary; dark violet eyes instead of golden-brown gazed down at her. Kagome swallowed the lump in her throat and rose up on tip-toe to kiss him. He kept the kiss tender when she wanted to deepen it, denying both of them prolonged contact. “I'll see you in the morning at the briefing; good night.” Catching her hand, he kissed her knuckles, watching the emotions flitting across her face and leaving her on the verge of tears.
 
“G-good night… anata,” she choked out. Yashita let go of her hand and contemplated her for a moment before reaching up and releasing her hair from the sleek top-knot. Stroking his fingers through her dark tresses, he gave her the gold-tipped thongs to hold before cupping her face in his hands and pressing tender kisses, first to her lips and then to her forehead.
 
“Until tomorrow, aisai.” Dropping his hands and stepping back, Yashita smiled quietly at her before turning away and heading up the corridor to Sessaki's room. He didn't look back when he heard Kagome's door open and then close. Entering his brother's room, he eyed the two futons laid out, then strode over to the nearest wall and banged his head against the venerable wood panelling. I can't stay here tonight; Shimano's going home to be with Kogane and Sess will have to literally tie me down to prevent me from doing something stupid… my poor bitch. I can't help her... fuck it all to the fifth hell!
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome dunked the hem of her linen juban in the bucket of cooled water and pressed the wet fabric to her eyes. She'd startled herself with the crying jag she'd indulged in once the door was closed, throwing herself across her futon and sobbing uncontrollably, her kidskin-lined armour digging into her in uncomfortable places, the silk haori and kimono in danger of terminal wrinkling. She'd actually thrown a few things; arrows and her silver-mounted bow lay at odd angles all over the floor.
 
What the hell's the matter with me?
Playing with fire, I'd say… and your fingers are looking a little scorched.
Fuck off, Fenik.
You're a big girl, Nixie you made your bed and tried to have two hanyous in it… not a comfortable fit..
I really don't feel like talking to you right now.
I suspect that you'd rather talk to me, since Midoriko is fixing to take a strip off of you next.
Since when were you two in charge of my conscience?
We're not; but we have to live with you when you start regretting what you've done, and quite frankly, you're an angsty pain in the ass.
Thanks for your support, asshole.
You're the one who has to face the pup, not me. Can you look him in the eye?
 
Kagome bit back her angry retort and thought for a few moments while Fenik huffed in the background. She smiled softly, and swung her quiver off her shoulder. Picking up the scattered arrows and checking her bow for damage, she returned all of them to the quiver and leaned it against the kimono stand.
 
Well, Nixie? Can you?
Yes, I can. They look at me with the same eyes… love me with the same heart… Inuyasha belongs to me.
Your turn, Riko. She's a lost cause.
Yes… I am. Sorry, guys.
 
Humming quietly, Kagome set about removing her regalia. She gave her sword an affectionate pat, earning her a startled noise, and laid it at the base of the stand. Untying her obi, she then shrugged out of the silver haori along with the heavy crimson kimono and carefully placed both clothing items on the stand, adjusting them until they hung properly from the horizontal pole. The obi was draped over one end. Concentrating on her task and ignoring the mutterings of the internal peanut gallery, she loosened the thongs holding her gauntlets and greaves in place, then began shucking armour plate into a pile.
 
She had just removed her soft boots and stepped out of the black kidskin trousers when someone rapped their knuckles on her door and gave a familiar verbal salute. “Oi, wench… are you decent?”
 
“I thought you preferred it when I was indecent…”
 
The panel slid open to reveal a smirking dark-haired man dressed in snug black riding leathers accentuated with scarlet red piping, carrying his helmet under one arm and a bulging shopping bag in the other. “Always, wench. Keh! Aren't you out of that gear yet?”
 
“Since it wasn't designed for speedy exits, it takes a while.”
 
Shaking his head, Inuyasha closed the door, set down the bag and his helmet, and moved towards her while peeling the short gloves from his hands and stuffing them in his pocket. “Here… let me help you with that or the food will get cold.”
 
As he turned her away from him and began working on the thongs that secured the breastplate to the backplate, Kagome started tugging on the elaborate knots that held the shoulder guards in place. All of a sudden his arrival time and outfit brought several questions to mind that demanded immediate answers.
 
“Waitaminute… how did you get in here?” She twisted to face him; he made a noise of mild annoyance and firmly turned her around, keeping her in place with his hands on her hips.
 
“Keh. Took your motorcycle out for a spin, explored the city a little more and decided to bring some treats… gotta problem with that?”
 
“Uh, no… how did you get past the guards?”
 
“I had a pass, so they escorted me in. Your mom arranged it all.” While Kagome digested the news that the `red tape' that caused the morning meeting between Sessaki and Gitoumaru was wound around her mother and her hanyou, Inuyasha finished unlacing her armoured skirt and helped her twist out of the lacquered metal. “Here, wench… your mom sent this, too.” He unzipped his leather jacket and extracted a neatly-folded but somewhat crumpled package, which proved to be her mother's pale green yukata. After she added the cuirass to the clanking pile on the floor, Inuyasha shook out the garment and held it while she slid her arms into the sleeves.
 
As she gathered the soft fabric around her waist preparatory to tying the sash, the yukata slid off her shoulder and revealed the small scabs from his fangs. Inuyasha's warm calloused fingertips rubbed over the marks, stilling her movements, and then he pressed a kiss to the abused flesh. “C'mon, wench… time to eat.” He walked across the room, unlaced his boots and lined them up with hers, then shrugged out of his black jacket, revealing a white tank top clinging snugly to his lean muscled frame. Bringing the bag over to the edge of the futon so they could sit comfortably side by side, he began setting out various containers that emitted delicious smells.
 
Kagome admired him for a moment while she finished tying her sash. “How did you pay for all this, Inuyasha?”
 
“Your mom and Akagane taught me how to calculate with the money you use in this time; it isn't that difficult to figure out. There was some left over yen in the pocket of your leather jacket from our last New Moon trip outing, so I used that, plus Okaa-san gave me some extra to put `gas' in your motorcycle.”
 
“You gassed up the bike? How did you know…?”
 
“Sota came with me; he says I'm a better driver than you, by the way.”
 
“I'll just bet he did, the little brat. Why didn't you come to watch the performance tonight?”
 
He shrugged as he handed her a pair of disposable chopsticks and a container of noodles and dumplings. “Soon as I found out that you weren't gonna fight that Ya-shit-a guy, I wasn't interested enough in all that dancing and singing crap to sit through it again…”
 
“You should have come anyways; I fought two opponents this time.”
 
“Keh. If you were really gonna clobber `em, I'd definitely show up to watch that!” She stuck her tongue out at him as he began digging in his own container. “Your bike is really fast; bet that Kumo couldn't keep up to it in a long haul.”
 
“Oh, really… and how do you know this?” She arched an eyebrow; he smirked broadly. Kagome gasped. “You didn't… Inuyasha, tell me you didn't take part in a street race!”
 
“Is that what you call it?” He did his best to look innocent, but there was a devious twinkle in his dark eyes. “The guy kept coming up beside me at red lights and revving his engine, so I finally got sick of him and took off. Couldn't see him for dust…”
 
“Inuyasha, you're driving without a license…”
 
“I have one of those; your mom gave it to me before I left. She said I might need some i-den-ti-fi-ca-tion.” He fumbled in the back pocket of his leather trousers, and finally had to stand up to extract the rectangle of plastic-coated cardboard. Kagome's jaw dropped when she saw it. There was a picture of her New Moon-hanyou with the name `Inuyasha Nishiyori', the Sunset Shrine's address and his vital statistics, including a `date of birth' that made him out to be twenty-four in human years. “See that?” He tapped the back of her hand, then pointed at a particular line of information with his chopsticks. “That's my favourite part.” She looked, and smiled at the code labelling him as `married' and identifying one `Kagome Nishiyori' as his next of kin.
 
Handing the license back to him, she chuckled as he returned it to his pocket with a flourish. “I'm glad you had fun, but I did miss you tonight. Didn't have anyone to smooch in the lilac bush…”
 
“Keh. I'd rather smooch you right here; no branches to poke, and no damp grass to mark up that fancy kimono.” Waggling his eyebrows suggestively, he started in on another container of rice and satay beef. Kagome chuckled and slurped her own noodles, feeling very contented in his presence, and enjoying the playful bantering. She had just finished her first container and was about to snag a chunk of meat out of his, when he casually asked her, “Figured out how to answer my questions yet?”
 
“Uh… can we talk about it later?” Much later… like maybe in the next century? Shitbreathe, Kagome… Yash said not to worry, so it will be okay.
 
Inuyasha nodded while chewing, his mouth full, and handed her a container of spicy grilled chicken and rice. It was very lucky indeed that she set that messy item down while she rooted in the bag for a can of juice, because otherwise her mother's yukata would have suffered an irremovable stain when the door to her room slid open without so much as a warning knock.
 
Sessaki barely suppressed a broad smirk at the almost-comical look of utter shock on Kagome's face before she hid it with a deeply-respectful bow, and then turned his attention to the young man sitting next to her. Keeping his face completely neutral, he intoned in a slightly menacing voice, “Higurashi, you have some explaining to do.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж