InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Guardian ( Chapter 71 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. All characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan Publishing, and VIZ is in the dog-pile somewhere, too.
 
A/N: Real life sucks sometimes, what can I say? Sorry for the delay, and thanks very much to all who've been so supportive and encouraging! Much thanks to Forthright for her feedback on this double-length chapter.
 
I'm absolutely thrilled to report that this fic was recently honoured at the IYFG Fourth Quarter 2006 Awards, and then went on to win three `Best of the Year' banners, which were designed by our own Forthright. Thank you all so very much for your support!
 
I've cheerfully ignored the third IY movie and its depiction of the events surrounding the Inu no Taisho's death for the purposes of this fic. Canoneers, beware…
 
This chapter is dedicated to Empatheia and Nebride, real-life Phoenixes of Legend if I've ever met `em, and to Snowfall for being six kinds of awesome!
 
Mild citrus alert near the end. Ranuel, this is especially for you!
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 71: Guardian
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
Sesshomaru's private study, Western Fortress, early morning
 
It was a very good thing that the Lord of the West had just put down his tea cup when his half-brother entered through the shoji, because otherwise his freshly washed clothing would have had to go right back to the laundry. Of course, he had already seen Inuyasha in their father's robes the night before, but the full effect of the upswept silver hair emphasizing the hanyou's strong resemblance to the Inu no Taisho took him slightly off guard.
 
The trademark scowl plastered on Inuyasha's face was all his own, however.
 
While he collected himself, Sesshomaru waved Inuyasha to one of the cushions in front of his desk; Gitoumaru seated himself a pace behind the hanyou and Kohire took up a position just inside the door.
 
Inuyasha glanced around the large room, taking in familiar details that hadn't changed in the two hundred years since he last sat in front of this desk, when he was too small to see over the edge from his seated position. His father had laughed indulgently and held out his arms; Inuyasha had quickly scurried around the thick slab of imported teak and spent the rest of the visit cuddled in the Inu no Taisho's lap, playing with the ends of his father's sash and doodling on small scraps of paper while the elder inu dictated letters to his secretary. I wonder if Fude-san is still alive? Uh… that answers that question…
 
An elderly inu-youkai tipped him a wink from his spot by the slatted window, his brush hardly pausing in its smooth flow over the paper as he wrote documents in an elegant hand. Seated a short distance from Fude's desk, Jaken sent a completely different sort of greeting when he met Inuyasha's glance. The toad-imp simmered, his yellow eyes narrowed almost to slits as he glared at the hanyou; Inuyasha stifled the urge to reply with a rude gesture. It must just kill that little twerp to see me sitting here as an honoured guest of the fortress; bet he's jealous… It's weird to see Sesshomaru behind that desk… but I have to admit, better him than me. I couldn't stand all this paperwork and official crap.
 
“Did you speak with your mate?” Sesshomaru asked quietly, beginning the conversation after the rustle of garments and muffled clank of weapons had ceased.
 
“Breakfast and a whole crowd of people arrived before I had a chance to ask her.”
 
“Very well. The short synopsis is that there is a festering sore in the court that must be lanced. Send word the instant that she has fully recovered from her injuries.”
 
Inuyasha bit back a sharp comment, but then remembered what Gitoumaru had told him in the bath house the previous night. “Does this have anything to do with the two loose ends from the uprising?” he growled, and noted how Sesshomaru's eyes sharpened. “Is one of them that fucking bastard Hakimaru?” Sesshomaru considered the bristling hanyou for a moment before nodding; Inuyasha gripped the Tetsusaiga's scabbard so hard the magnolia wood creaked warningly as his eyes flared red. “I'll gut that fucker myself for what he did…”
 
“In good time, brother. First, the trap must be thoroughly baited; tomorrow morning, you will be presented to the council…”
 
“Keh. Why not today? I have a score to settle…” He cracked his knuckles as his cheek stripes darkened.
 
“Hakimaru is currently absent at his hereditary shiro; he will more than likely arrive tomorrow morning. An earlier confrontation would not be a desirable.” Inuyasha was instantly jerked out of thoughts of blood-thirsty revenge by this apparent allusion to the New Moon; however, Sesshomaru's face was as bland as ever. Breaking out in a cold sweat was definitely not a good thing, but he couldn't help his body's response.
 
Sesshomaru watched Inuyasha's expression close and a touch of fear taint his scent, but attributed both to the hanyou's history with Hakimaru. “The other `loose end', Keishisai, has lived in seclusion for the past two centuries.”
 
“Keishisai was okay,” Inuyasha muttered. “He never touched my mother; he made sure we reached her family's shiro.”
 
“He assisted you?” Sesshomaru revealed a hint of surprise at this tidbit of information.
 
“How the hell else do you think a helpless woman and her pup survived the blizzard that hit later that night?” the hanyou snarled. “Keishisai protected us.” The atmosphere in the room became distinctly awkward, with the unspoken why didn't you stop it from happening in the first place hovering close. The strained silence was finally broken by Fude loudly clearing his throat, creaking to his feet and shuffling over to Sesshomaru's desk with a sheaf of paper.
 
“Return to your mate,” Sesshomaru murmured, and Inuyasha shot to his feet, his aura flaring dangerously as he scorched his brother with a reddened glare. Kohire barely opened the door in time before the hanyou was through it; Gitoumaru bowed politely before dashing after him. Jaken began to splutter, ignoring Sesshomaru's silencing gesture.
 
“But, my lord! How dare he treat you with such disrespect after you saved his worthless human's life…!”
 
Jaken.” The toad-imp scuttled backwards, bowing low as Sesshomaru's claws briefly glowed. “Request Kiriaisai's presence here at his earliest convenience; I have a few questions for him.”
 
Behind them, old Fude shook his head. The old man would have turned them both over his knee for that little display. By the fifth hell, the young whelp is his mirror image in looks and attitude.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Chief Wife's Pavilion, Western Fortress
 
“Goddamfuckingsonofafuckingbitch!” Inuyasha flung himself through the sliding door, barely pausing to kick off his boots in the hall and yanking out the thong restraining his hair. He needed Kagome, and he needed her fast to help him calm down before he took out a swathe of Sesshomaru's nice little chunk of real estate with a `Wind Scar' or two.
 
Unfortunately, she wasn't there and neither were any of her attendants, so he channelled his aggression into a bout of furious pacing while he rubbed his aching scalp. Gitoumaru edged into the room, exchanging worried glances with Kohire as they watched the angry hanyou's demonic aura swirl around him. Finally, and it was with an obvious effort, Inuyasha forced himself to stand still before casting a red-rimmed glare at his nervous audience.
 
“Get in here, you two. I ain't gonna bite.” The two cautiously approached to a safe distance before seating themselves. Inuyasha plopped gracelessly onto the tatami and considered them for a moment. “Out with it. I need to know what happened just after my mother and I were kicked out, and what's the latest with Hakimaru. If I have to face him tomorrow, I need to be prepared.”
 
Gitoumaru and Kohire looked at each other. Swallowing hard, Gitoumaru offered, “My father would be the best person to ask about the situation in the fortress in the aftermath of the Inu no Taisho's death…”
 
“No offence, Git, but your sire is my brother's creature, so I don't think I can expect him to be unbiased.” Seeing the youth's hackles go up, he quickly added, “I'm not saying that he isn't honourable… but his first loyalty is to Sesshomaru. I'm the outsider here.”
 
Gitoumaru's mouth snapped shut as Kohire stepped in. “My honoured father was one of the council that assisted Sesshomaru-sama in the days after your father's death, and I fought against the rebels as a cadet, Inuyasha-sama.”
 
“What happened?”
 
“Since Sesshomaru-sama was still young when your father died, an interim council was formed to assist him in retaining power. There is some suggestion that Hakimaru-sama thought to take the title of the Lord of the West himself and his first act was to remove you, the second heir, from the path of his ambitions.” Kohire stopped when he noticed the thickening aura surrounding Inuyasha, but the hanyou gave an impatient jerk of his head.
 
“Go on.”
 
“There is much speculation as to why you and Izayoi-sama were not simply killed outright, but I have heard that Keishisai-sama was sent after you to make sure of your deaths. Upon his return to the fortress, he asked the council's permission to retire to his estates; he has never returned to court.”
 
“You heard me tell the ass-, er, Sesshomaru, that Keishisai was okay. He had us at his mercy, but he treated my mother with all the respect she deserved. What happened after that?”
 
“Hakimaru-sama suggested that the council give him the position of Regent. His argument was that the Western Lands ruled by a child would invite aggression and instability, so it was in the best interests of the realm for an adult to take the reins…”
 
“That bastard… he would have murdered Sesshomaru as soon as possible…”
 
“He wore his ambitions on his sleeve; the council refused his every overture, and he was forced to cool his heels for nigh on fifty years. Sesshomaru-sama was about to celebrate his coming-of-age when Hakimaru-sama launched his final bid for power… we think.”
 
“Why only `think'? Wasn't it obvious?” the hanyou demanded.
 
“No, unfortunately. Believe me, Sesshomaru-sama left no stone unturned in his attempt to find enough evidence to implicate Hakimaru-sama, but all the rebel leaders, which included the members of the original group that expelled you and your mother, ended up dead and unavailable for questioning,” Kohire explained.
 
“How convenient,” Inuyasha growled.
 
“My sire certainly thought so. Hakimaru-sama went so far as to smoothly congratulate Sesshomaru-sama on his thorough repression of the revolt. Your lord brother looked like he had swallowed some of his own acid…”
 
“So… what's Hakimaru's latest devilry?”
 
Kohire sighed unhappily. “He's been quiet, for the most part… until Rin-san joined us. Since her arrival nearly a year ago, he's been at court far too often and pays far too close attention to her for any of our liking. He would undoubtedly be most interested in the Jewel shards that your mate protects.”
 
Inuyasha was about to reply when his ears picked up the sounds of voices heading towards them from the direction of the front door… one voice in particular was very welcome, and he began breathing more freely. A second after that, a growl erupted from his throat at the sight of his Kagome clasped in another demon's arms while she chuckled at some gallantry or other.
 
She was wrapped up in a blanket for warmth, and her freshly bathed scent reached him all the way across the room. Tsu deftly shucked his boots and carried her over the tatami mats to set her down beside Inuyasha, who stifled another growl as he scooped her into his lap. Kagome took one look at her hanyou's widened cheek stripes and red-rimmed golden eyes before she snuggled into his chest. He buried his nose in her hair and held her close… then wondered why her aura didn't rise to twine with his.
 
He took a quick glance around; the two guardsmen had withdrawn into the corridor, while Gitoumaru and Ume had their heads together in the corner. “Koishii… what's up with your power?” he whispered in her ear.
 
Kagome raised her head to give him an anguished look. “Ever since I was injured, I haven't been able to hear Fenik or Midoriko. I can't summon any power of either kind at all… and I'm so tired and achy all the time. I had to have a nap after breakfast, and I need another one now…”
 
Shit. What the hell do we do tonight, then?” he hissed agitatedly. “We're fucking sitting ducks…!”
 
Kagome burrowed even closer. “We'll have to trust that Sesshomaru honours our truce from when Kohaku-kun grabbed Rin-chan, koibito.”
 
“Fuck that. If we left now, we could probably make decent cover…”
 
“Inuyasha, I can't protect you tonight out in the open; we had better stay here…”
 
“Hanging around here is an invitation to murder.” His flat tone gave her the chills; Kagome sighed heavily and told him the other reason why they couldn't leave, knowing he'd be even more thrilled.
 
“Sesshomaru has my shards.”
 
What? He has them? Why?”
 
“He's protecting them in my place since I couldn't, as he so nicely put it, defend myself from Myoga-san right now.”
 
“Well, shit,” Inuyasha growled. “Dammit! What the fuck's he planning?”
 
Kagome made herself comfortable in his silken lap, yawning and trying to fend off the sleep that was attempting to claim her. “Apparently he's worried about Rin-chan's safety while he's away from the fortress hunting Naraku; he doesn't trust somebody around here.”
 
The hanyou rested his chin on the top of her head, thinking hard. He was startled by a snuffling noise, and then Kagome's entire body relaxed as she fell fast asleep in his arms. Inuyasha tilted his head to peer into her face, then kissed her forehead before tucking her under his chin and swathing her in his long sleeves. Not that my fire-rat would do any good tonight, but I'd feel a bit better if I could wrap Kagome in it.
 
Gitoumaru coughed lightly; Inuyasha flicked an ear at him. “My father would be able to give you an eye-witness account of both events we were discussing earlier; despite your concern, I know that he would tell you only the truth. Whether or not he is Sesshomaru-sama's sentouken has nothing to do with it.”
 
The hanyou lifted his head to fix the youth with a steady gaze. “I meant no dishonour to your father, pup. My old man thought highly enough of him to make him a captain; that much I do remember. However, the fact of the matter is, not a single person in this fucking fortress did anything to either stop Hakimaru or even come looking for my mother and me… not even Momiji-san…” Inuyasha trailed off, and his eyes grew dark. Kagome stirred, drowsily opening her eyes when the chest under her ear vibrated with a low growl.
 
“I believe that my father could refute your negative opinion if you were to speak with him, but I will also make sure Momiji-san is aware of your concern,” Gitoumaru said, rather crisply. He held Inuyasha's surprised glance a bit longer than absolutely necessary before dropping his eyes deferentially. “Lunch will be served in another hour or so, and I believe Rin-chan will be here this afternoon. Do you wish to visit the bath house?”
 
“Why? Do I stink?” the hanyou asked belligerently, and his sharp tone startled Kagome into coherence.
 
“Go now, koibito,” she murmured sleepily, “The water's freshest in the mornings…”
 
“I will acquire some fresh clothing and towels, Inuyasha-sama,” Gitoumaru rose to his feet and bowed out of the room; he said something to the guardsmen. Tsu appeared in the doorway, straightening his tunic before bowing.
 
“We will set up a defensive perimeter around the building, my lord. Kagome-sama will be well-protected in your absence.” With his boots in his hand, he rapidly crossed the room and opened the sliding wall panel on the garden side. Replacing his outdoor footwear, he disappeared and Inuyasha heard the crunch of gravel as the inu-youkai began pacing around the exterior of the pavilion.
 
“Guess I have no choice…” he grumbled, but some of his tension dissipated at the soft expression on Kagome's upturned face.
 
“I'll be all right, Inuyasha. Ume-san will keep an eye on me for you… damn, I wish I could stay awake longer than half an hour at a time…”
 
“Just worry about healing, wench,” he gruffly ordered, then spoiled the effect by brushing her lips with a gentle kiss.
 
“Put your lady to bed, Inuyasha-sama… I will watch over her.” Ume bowed deeply, then came across the tatami to open the canopy around the freshly-made futon. Inuyasha sighed in defeat as he stood up and carried Kagome over to the mattress, then arranged the blankets around her shoulders.
 
“Off you go, dog-boy,” Kagome murmured, her silvery eyes sliding closed almost before she finished her sentence.
 
Inuyasha stepped back, allowing Ume to close the sheer drapery. The young female shot him a look and then shooed him towards the door. “She will be perfectly safe, my lord… I promise.”
 
Ж ЖЖ Ж Ж
Edo
 
“Kaede-sama, we truly do not mind bedding down with our animals,” Ieji stated firmly, aware that he was quickly losing this battle but determined to go down fighting. “They would most likely be reassured by our presence, which would be of greater benefit to all.”
 
The old miko's single dark eye twinkled. “What would thy lord say to that kind of hospitality? Nay, whelp, it has been decided; thou and thy rascally brother will stay with me.”
 
“Don't you trust us, Kaede-sama?” Ita piped up, from the corner where he and Shippo were engaged in a cutthroat card game while they waited for the midday meal. The inu-youkai had only taken a couple of rounds to learn the game, and he was now giving the kitsune a run for his acorn collection.
 
“It is not thy honour that concerns me, pup, but rather thy effect on the young maidens of this village. Two love-charms were already discovered tied to the doorway of my hut by Miroku-sama this morning, and I rather doubt they were meant for me.”
 
While Shippo and Ita burst out laughing at Kaede's dry tone, Ieji shot his brother a despairing look. “If you wish, we will swear an oath of celibacy…”
 
Kaede rapped his knuckles with her spoon. “Don't make promises ye may not be able to keep, whelp… since I rather suspect it would be out of your hands anyways; never underestimate a determined woman. Eat up, as there is another young lady who is rather excited about her daily flying lesson.”
 
Ieji wearily pinched the bridge of his nose. “Hai, Kaede-sama. As you wish.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Western Fortress
 
A bitter medicinal draught and a small girl arrived with lunch; the former was choked down by Kagome and the latter brought along her practise sheets, brush and ink to demonstrate her penmanship. Inuyasha listened to Rin's cheerful chatter with one ear only, as he realized with dismay that his nose was already slightly less acute. Early fall and the days are already becoming shorter... fuck it all to the fifth hell!
 
After her nap, Kagome had been garbed most becomingly in shades of blue; when he took a break from worrying about their exposed situation, he admired her elegant appearance. He himself was dressed in a deep cherry red kosode embroidered with metallic threads over white hakama; it was yet another of his father's outfits, hauled out of gods-only-knew which storage chest. The scent of the preserving cedar oil wafted gently from the rich silk, and he hoped it would cover his waning demonic scent until dusk.
 
“Inuyasha-sama? Would you like me to write your name?” Rin asked excitedly, her dark eyes sparkling. Her sleeves had been tied back out of harm's way and her loaded brush was poised over some scraps of parchment.
 
“Sure, pup.” He watched with amusement as the little girl fiercely concentrated on her brushwork, the tip of her tongue poking out between her teeth and a little furrow scrunched between her eyebrows as she laboriously traced out the distinctive characters that formed his name. Kagome winked at him from her spot on the other side of the low table and moved the water container out of harm's way. After several long minutes, Rin sat back on her heels and beamed proudly.
 
“There! Oh, wait just a moment…” She bit her tongue again, added two small pointed marks over the hiragana and then handed him the damp paper with a flourish.
 
Gingerly holding the inky scrap in his claws, Inuyasha couldn't help chuckling a little. “Are those supposed to be my ears?” She nodded, practically squirming with delight and hopefully eyeing the fuzzy appendages in question.
 
The hanyou winked and granted her wish. “Wash your hands first…” Rin beamed broadly and dunked her dusky fingers into the supplied basin with a scattering of droplets. When she was as clean as possible, she dried her hands on a scrap of linen and scooted up to his side, her eyes and smile very bright. Inuyasha inclined his head towards her; Rin stretched way up and very, very gently petted the tips of his ears.
 
“Thank you, Inuyasha-sama! I wish Sesshomaru-sama had ears like yours… but he probably wouldn't let me touch them…” Rin's smile faltered a bit, but then she flung her arms around the hanyou's neck and hugged him tightly; Inuyasha grinned, wrapped his arm around her and flopped over backwards onto the tatami mats.
 
“Don't know your own strength there, pup. Knocked me right over!” Rin quickly overcame her surprise and started giggling madly from her perch on his chest.
 
“You're so silly, Inuyasha-sama! I'm just a little human and you're a big hanyou!”
 
“It's time to go, Rin-chan. Your music-master is waiting.” Anzu smoothly tidied up the writing materials, bowed to the adults and held out her hand to the little girl. Rin clumsily hugged Inuyasha again, hopped over and squeezed Kagome before obediently taking Anzu's hand and following her out the door.
 
Kagome chuckled and shook her head, then noticed Inuyasha watching after Rin with an almost wistful expression. He then rapidly sat up and moved to take her in his arms. She wondered at the thoughtful expression in his amber eyes as he scanned her face. “I wonder what our pups will look like?” he murmured.
 
She blinked. Where the heck did that come from? He's always a bit more open with his feelings on this night, but that came out of left field! “Uh… probably more like me, since they'll be three-quarters human…?”
 
“Good.” He buried his nose in her hair and sighed deeply. “I hope we have a little girl, with your eyes and your sparkle…”
 
Kagome tilted her head and kissed his jaw. “Rin-chan got you thinking about kids? She's very sweet…”
 
“And so vulnerable. My brother will break her spirit eventually, when she's no longer a cute little pup and he sends her back to live with her own kind.” There was such darkness in Inuyasha's voice that she shivered, despite knowing that Sesshomaru would end up doing no such thing to Rin.
 
“I don't think he's all that bad…”
 
“He's a heartless bastard, Kagome, and don't forget that. He's agreed to this truce because he expects to gain something from it, but he fully intends to kill me… us… as soon as Naraku's dead.” Inuyasha laughed bitterly. “Ironic, isn't it? The only reason why we'll probably survive tonight is because he needs us for revenge on both Hakimaru and Naraku. Never thought I'd owe my life to either of those bastards.”
 
Kagome pushed away from his chest to look intently into his face. “What's brought on this dark mood, Inuyasha? What happened this morning? Who's Hakimaru?”
 
The hanyou rubbed a hand over his face and sighed again. “Long story short; my mother and I were thrown out of the fortress just after my father's death by an ambitious bastard named Hakimaru. He's Sesshomaru's uncle on his mother's side, and probably intended to become the Lord of the West in my brother's place by making both of us `disappear'. He didn't succeed, but it appears that he went on to launch an insurrection about a hundred years ago that was also defeated.”
 
“This guy has gone up against your brother twice and he's still alive?” Kagome interrupted in disbelief.
 
“He's very powerful… he's nearly twice Sesshomaru's age and would probably make my brother look like a pup in their transformed states.”
 
Kagome digested this for a moment before noticing his knuckles cracking. “What else, koibito?”
 
“Sesshomaru intends on presenting me to the council tomorrow morning; I just know I'm going to be screwed somehow!” Inuyasha snarled. Kagome wrapped her arms around him and hugged as tightly as she could. Resting her head on his chest, her eyes drooped closed almost instantly upon hearing his heartbeat, and she shook herself. “Sleepy again, koishii?” Inuyasha asked, kissing the crown of her head.
 
“I think I managed to stay awake a little longer this time,” she mumbled, rubbing her eyes with the back of her hand.
 
“Keh. In your dreams, wench,” the hanyou snorted, but instead of releasing her, he tightened his grip. “Do you mind if I hold you? I… just need to keep you close.”
 
“Of course not, dog-boy. Don't worry… it will all work out… I'm sure of it…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Edo
 
“Shiori-sama… are you quite sure that this is how Inuyasha-sama goes about teaching you to fly?” Ieji couldn't quite keep the scepticism out of his voice as he examined both the massive larch tree and the wildly waving kitsune perched about halfway up on a rather spindly branch.
 
“Hai, Ieji-san,” the small hanyou confidently replied. “Kirara-sama takes me up to that branch, Shippo-kun watches my flight path and Inuyasha-san catches me if I fall.”
 
He was about to remonstrate when the watching neko-youkai meowed a command and transformed to her full size. Sighing, he held his tongue while Ita lifted Shiori onto Kirara's back. “Very well, then, we will use your preferred method.”
 
“I'll catch you, Shiori-sama,” Ita assured both her and the fire-cat. “I'll bet you make it all the way across the meadow today!”
 
“Do you think that by the time Inuyasha-san and Kagome-san return, I'll be able to fly from the village up to here?” she asked, her vivid eyes bright with excitement.
 
“You'll have to work extra hard to do that, since I don't expect they'll be away very long… let's see how far you can glide on one flap today, all right? That's a good start.” Ita winked at his dour twin before following Kirara and Shiori across the meadow towards the tree.
 
Ieji remained where he was, next to an ancient and dilapidated old well structure, and wondered if he ought to go fetch his tenbaryu from the paddock in case a second flying `catcher' was required. His intention was diverted by the arrival of the monk and the slayer, and he quickly bowed to the pack's betas.
 
“Good afternoon, Ieji-kun… ah, is Shiori-sama about to engage in her daily flight practise?” Miroku asked genially before indicating they should all be seated. “Ita-kun is very brave for taking on this responsibility.”
 
“It does seem somewhat unsafe, but Shiori-sama and Shippo-kun seem to be very comfortable with the procedure…” Ieji answered, anxiously watching as Shiori was transferred from Kirara's back to the tree limb by Shippo's careful hands.
 
“Kirara won't let anything happen to either of them,” Sango assured him. “Besides, Ita-kun is right there, and I imagine his jumping abilities are at least as good as Inuyasha's.”
 
“I suppose so, Sango-sama.” Ieji didn't sound very convinced, and he actually leapt to his feet when Shiori abruptly spread her silvery pinions and dove off the branch. She disappeared for a brief moment until she wobbled back into view at a slightly lower altitude, determinedly spreading her wings as wide as possible. Shippo circled below her on Kirara, whooping and cheering; they could hear Ita yelling encouragement up at her as he crashed through the underbrush below.
 
“Be of good cheer, Ieji-kun; your brother has things well in hand.” Miroku shifted so that he could slip his arm around Sango's waist and rest his hand on her leather-clad hip. “Lovely Sango, why don't you take Ieji-kun on that perimeter check right now?” he suggested, giving her a light squeeze.
 
“Good idea, Miroku… come on, Ieji-kun. This is something we do twice a day at least, so you might as well know the route.” Sango rose to her feet and slung Hiraikotsu over her shoulder before crooking her finger at the inu-youkai. With a last backward glance at the small bat hanyou's fluttering silhouette, he followed the dark-haired woman back towards the village.
 
They walked in silence for a few moments, until Sango asked, “Do you think Kumo will have reached the fortress yet?”
 
“Not until tomorrow at the earliest, my lady; while a tenbaryu's stamina is impressive, even that one will have to stop and rest along the way,” Ieji answered, brushing a springy branch out of her path.
 
“You saw her injuries, Ieji-kun… do you honestly think she survived?” the slayer whispered tightly, her eyes suspiciously damp. The inu-youkai fidgeted for a moment before cautiously touching her shoulder in a reassuring gesture.
 
“Sesshomaru-sama promised that she would live, my lady. He will do all that he can to honour his word.”
 
“I hope you're right.” Sango shook herself, rubbed her eyes, and pointed at a large tree on the right. “See that scrap of paper pinned by an arrow? That marks the boundary of the shield barrier…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Western Fortress
 
The sun had slipped below the western horizon before the dozing couple were disturbed in the golden-roofed pavilion set alongside the koi pond. Long dark hair curled together on the tatami mats as Kagome drowsed in his arms, the Tetsusaiga across her lap. Inuyasha had perfected the art of sleeping upright decades before when he had to move on an instant's notice, and he roused when he heard voices in the corridor just before the shoji was flung open.
 
The black-haired hanyou crouched in front of his bewildered mate, brandishing the sheathed Tetsusaiga in Momiji's face. The stately female inu-youkai shot him a disdainful look and swatted away the weapon before entering the room ahead of a servant carrying a tray with a teapot and three cups. Inuyasha was momentarily stunned by this casual invasion, and then completely unnerved by the obvious knowledge of his greatest weakness.
 
Just as his scrambled thoughts were trying to sort themselves out, Momiji snapped, “Kindly put that fang away and sit down, Inuyasha-sama! There is no need to make a spectacle of yourself!” Recognizing that tone, he obediently dropped to his knees while making sure he stayed between her and Kagome. Momiji scorched him with a fiery glare as the servant arranged the teapot and cups on the low table and then bowed out of the room. There was silence for a long moment, and then the woman growled, “Who do you think sent Keishisai-sama after you and Izayoi-sama, you young fool?”
 
It took a moment for her words to penetrate his brain. “Wh-what?” Inuyasha gasped in shock. “You were the one…? I-I don't understand…”
 
Kagome slipped her hand into his, then politely addressed Momiji. “Please explain… Inuyasha believed that a `Hakimaru' was the one…”
 
“Oh, that arrogant idiot thought he was sending one his own henchmen… but he was outflanked by the Inu no Taisho and Kiriaisai-sama.” Momiji sighed heavily and rubbed her temples. “Let me start at the beginning; tea?” Smiling wearily at the hanyou as she poured out three fragrant cupfuls, she said, “You resemble your honoured mother so much on this night...”
 
“How do you know…?”
 
She rolled her eyes. “Spare me, Inuyasha-sama. You're talking to the person who wiped your snotty nose and cut your meat for the first years of your life.” The hanyou spluttered as she calmly continued, “Anyone who was living at this fortress when you were born is fully aware that the New Moon is your night of weakness, Inuyasha-sama; the knowledge is hardly a state secret since you screamed the rafters down with your frightful squalling every month for nearly a year.”
 
Fuck!” As he looked away, violently cursing his bad luck, sharp claws flicked his human ear; he yelped, clapped a hand over the smarting appendage and glared at the glowering demoness.
 
“Being human doesn't improve your language, I see.” Momiji seated herself again, tossing her thick braid back over her shoulder and handed Kagome a steaming cup. “How are you feeling, my lady?”
 
Kagome paused before answering as she realized that something had indeed changed for the better. “Quite a bit better, actually… the ache in my muscles is gone…”
 
“Good. The medicinal draught I sent with your meal should help relieve some of your pain… and perhaps keep you awake a little longer.” Instead of passing Inuyasha the other cup of tea, Momiji watched him closely, seeing the anger sparking deep in his violet eyes.
 
“Thank you. I don't like feeling so helpless…” Kagome smiled.
 
“Can we drop the fucking chit-chat?” Inuyasha harshly interrupted, jamming his hands into his sleeves. Kagome put down her tea and went to touch his arm, but pulled back when she saw the hard, stony look on his face. I can't help him… this is beyond me.
 
Momiji carefully set down her own cup and shifted slightly so that she squarely faced the bristling hanyou. Folding her hands in her lap, she studied him for a moment before asking quietly, “What do you remember about that night, Inuyasha-sama?”
 
His dark eyes narrowed. “It was cold… icy… I had bruises for days from where they twisted my arms… my fingers on one hand were broken… one fucker punched me in the face so hard he broke my nose and cracked my jaw after I bit him… and… and then… those fuckers touched my mother!” he roared, flinging out his hands and digging his fingers into the tatami mats. Curling his lips back over his teeth, he snarled, “That fucking Hakimaru tore open my mother's robes… exposed her… touched her with his filthy hands… the bastard was laughing and taunting her for being my father's whore… and I couldn't protect her!” As he stared Momiji down, his expression altered from threatening to sorrowful… and then hot tears streaked his face.
 
Kagome sat in profound silence, shocked beyond words by Inuyasha's searing revelation, her own thoughts a wild jumble. Clumsily, she reached for him, but Momiji was quicker. The demoness pulled him into her arms, tucking him under her chin as if he was still that small child who had hung off her skirts and presented her with mangled flowers and pretty rocks from the gardens; she began to rock him, purring deep in her throat.
 
The hanyou's hands flexed on the mats as he stubbornly refused to accept her comfort. Without missing a beat, Momiji held open her arm to Kagome and invited the girl into the embrace. As Kagome curled into him, Inuyasha relented and wrapped an arm around each of them while Momiji hugged them both. After long minutes, when the hanyou's breathing steadied, she whispered, “Think back beyond that nightmare, Inu-chan. Do you remember what happened just before that?”
 
His voice was muffled in her shoulder. “B-before…?”
 
“Yes… before, when you were brought by your mother to your father's bier?” She soothingly stroked her claws through his black hair as Kagome hugged him tightly, horrified at what he'd endured.
 
“Th-the hall… m-my f-father… ” he rasped, remembering with sudden, absolute clarity how he could scarcely believe that this pale, silent, bloodied form could possibly be his laughing, vibrant, invincible father. “The black pearl… it hurt so much…” He raised his head to scan Momiji's gentle eyes. “Y-you… held me… put a cool cloth over my eyes… praised me for being brave…”
 
“Yes, Inu-chan,” she murmured. “Then, once you left the hall, what happened?”
 
He frowned a bit, biting his lip… and then his expression cleared just before it darkened. Momiji released him as he sat back and gathered Kagome into his arms, holding her like she was his anchor. “They were waiting for us on the edge of the gardens… our escorts were overpowered… they dragged us through the barbican and out the main gate…”
 
Kagome took that moment to squirm a little, as he was holding her so tightly she could hardly breathe. Startling slightly as he realized what he was doing, he loosened his grip and pressed a kiss to her forehead. Cradling her head in his hand, he gazed deeply into her wide silver eyes. “Every time you're hurt, I die a little inside because I wasn't able to protect you… like my mother…” he whispered painfully. Kagome lunged upward and kissed him fiercely, trying to pour all her love for him into the contact, and he allowed himself to heal in her for a brief moment before pulling away to look at Momiji. The demoness regarded him sombrely for a long moment.
 
“You wanted to know why I never looked for you after the crime was committed. I can assure you, Inuyasha-sama, that there were preparations made in case of this eventuality long before your father's death.” She shifted back to the table, wrinkled her nose at the cooled tea and then drank it anyways. “Keishisai-sama was one of ours; hand-picked by your father and Kiriaisai-sama for his loyalty and bravery. He gained Hakimaru-sama's trust through decades of apparent devotion; Hakimaru-sama thought he was sending you to certain death, but he inadvertently guaranteed your life by entrusting Keishisai-sama with your execution.”
 
“But why…?”
 
“Why didn't we bring you and your mother back to the fortress? It was too dangerous here with Hakimaru-sama on the loose. Keishisai-sama was your guardian; he was given permission to retire to his estates as a cover for the long periods of time he was away watching over you and your mother.”
 
The hanyou began growling, but the sound was only a fraction of what it would be in several hours. “When my mother died, why was I left to fend for myself? Where was my watchdog then?”
 
Momiji sighed. “He did not abandon you, as we did not; didn't you ever question the new fire-rat robes appearing just when you outgrew the old ones? The conveniently-abandoned huts that contained food and kindling? Why you were rarely attacked by other youkai or indeed, carnivorous beasts?” Inuyasha slowly shook his head, never taking his eyes off her. “Keishisai-sama followed you for long periods of time; as you grew older and were able to both defend and feed yourself, he watched from a distance. If something had happened to Sesshomaru-sama, we needed you to be safe.” She fell silent for a moment before continuing, “He also brought word of your misadventure with the priestess and her arrow.”
 
From her vantage point in his lap, Kagome watched a veritable storm of emotions scud across Inuyasha's face as he absorbed this information. So it wasn't really Sesshomaru's fault that Inuyasha was kicked out of the fortress! Why the hell was Sessaki so close-mouthed about it when I asked him?
 
“Did you never wonder why none of the guards intervened as you were taken through the gates?” Momiji asked.
 
Inuyasha flinched. “I just… assumed…”
 
“Hakimaru-sama's men had set several widely scattered fires throughout the fortress to divert attention from what was going on; the breeding stables went up in flames as did one of the rice sheds and a barracks. All available hands were mustered to fight the fires, so there was literally no one left to man the walls. An army of panther demons could have strolled right in and we wouldn't have noticed. The blizzard later that night extinguished the very last of the embers; it was dawn before we realized you and Izayoi-sama were nowhere to be found… and Hakimaru-sama made his bid to become Regent.”
 
“Momiji-san… who were the guards who died trying to defend Izayoi-sama?” Kagome asked.
 
“Two were Tsu-kun's father and uncle; the other two were Fuchi-kun's cousins. We found their bodies once the snow had been cleared; their necks had been snapped so as not to give away the game with their blood-scent.” Momiji poured herself a fresh cup of tea and sipped it, watching as Inuyasha reeled with shock.
 
The hanyou was most definitely feeling like he'd lost his footing; the entire foundation of his hatred and anger was crumbling away beneath his feet. “Sesshomaru didn't know until it was too late…” he muttered, while Kagome held her breath and just watched him. However, he tensed again and shot a dark look at Momiji. “He still hates me for Tetsusaiga.”
 
“The `steel-cleaving fang' would have been of great symbolic help to Sesshomaru-sama in the aftermath of the Inu no Taisho's death… although his ability to actually physically wield it was debateable.” She gazed at Inuyasha with a thoughtful expression. “He was greatly affected by the bloodbath of the failed revolt; I believe it was then that he truly began to seek the tomb.”
 
“Why didn't he just rip out my eye and grab the Tetsusaiga while I was pinned to the tree? I wouldn't have been able to fight back…”
 
“Only a few knew where the tomb was hidden, and we kept the secret of its location even from Sesshomaru-sama… I suspect Myoga-san perhaps let something slip,” Momiji said quietly.
 
“The little blood-sucking bastard! He was trying to cover his own ass when he showed up that time…!” Inuyasha snarled, baring his blunted canines.
 
“I am indeed impressed that he ran towards danger to warn you, rather than packing his bags for China. Are you sure this is Myoga-san we're talking about?” the demoness inquired, her eyebrow arched.
 
The hanyou was about to answer, but shut his mouth instead; a crooked smile crept across his face. Meeting the demoness' eyes he said, “I'm sorry, Momiji-san. I… I was wrong to assume the worst…”
 
“I do not blame you, Inuyasha-sama, for holding those beliefs; I wish things could have turned out differently…”
 
Inuyasha looked down at the woman he held securely in his arms and smiled tenderly. “I wouldn't have met you if things were different, so in the end… I wouldn't have it any other way.”
 
Kagome smiled softly and reached up to caress his cheek. They shared a quiet moment of complete understanding before she squirmed to a more upright position in his lap. “I think I need a cup of tea after that…” Momiji chuckled and collected both untouched cups, then crossed the room to dump out their contents into the garden by way of the same wall panel that Tsu had used earlier in the day. She paused, looking up at the sky.
 
“The stars are very beautiful tonight… ah, here comes our meal and entertainment!”
 
Before either Kagome or Inuyasha could ask her what she meant, the inner panel slid open after a perfunctory knock, revealing a heavily-laden Ume and Gitoumaru; she was balancing not one but five footed trays while he lugged a couple of narrow wooden boxes, a rice bucket and a sake jug. Both teens did a double take at the sight of the dark-haired hanyou but recovered rapidly and set their burdens down without spilling anything. Ume peeked at Inuyasha through her eyelashes as she disassembled the tower of trays fresh from the kitchens; Gitoumaru tried not to gawk and failed rather badly, then turned to sorting out the boxes and setting out tiny porcelain cups on the table.
 
Inuyasha responded to the flurry of activity and the interest by tightening his grip on Kagome again while pulling the Tetsusaiga closer. Kagome noted the non-threatening postures and the general air of acceptance. “It's all right, Inuyasha,” she whispered. “I think… it'll be okay.” Smiling at the young female, she asked, “Are we all eating together, Ume-san?”
 
“No, Kagome-sama… we already dined in the kitchens. These are for you and your guests,” she replied as she neatly arranged everything.
 
“Guests?” Kagome glanced at Momiji as Inuyasha's heart rate sped up next to her ear, and then she nearly yelped in surprise at the answer, delivered in a deep masculine voice from the direction of the doorway.
 
“Good evening, brother.” Sesshomaru slightly inclined his head as he stepped over the threshold. Inuyasha choked, but before he could respond to this astonishing appearance, Rin threw herself at them, reaching over a very startled Kagome to cup the hanyou's face in her small hands.
 
“Inuyasha-sama! Where did they go?” Rin demanded in dismay. “Anzu-san said that her mother told her that your hair would turn black and your eyes change colour… but where are your ears?” As she spoke, Sesshomaru seated himself gracefully across from them, his expression carefully neutral as he watched his ward question the hanyou.
 
The hanyou recovered from his shock at his brother's appearance enough to answer, “Still attached, pup… see?” Turning his head, he showed her the human ears now gracing the rear of his jaw line. Rin's lip trembled as she lightly touched the rounded edge; Kagome understood.
 
“They'll be back tomorrow morning with the dawn, Rin-chan.” The little girl's face lit up with a relieved smile as Kagome continued in a conspiratorial tone, “The first time I saw him like this, I asked the same question because I like his doggy ears, too.” While Inuyasha flushed as red as his father's rich silk kosode, the two females in his lap giggled together delightedly before Rin hopped out and scampered over to plop down beside Sesshomaru.
 
The little girl practically squirmed with excitement before blurting out, “I get to stay up all night long, Inuyasha-sama! Momiji-san said so, because it's the night of the New Moon and we have to keep you company!”
 
Kagome extricated herself from Inuyasha's lap with the hanyou's grudging assistance, but he made sure she stayed within arm's reach. “All night, huh? Guess you're not drinking any sake, then,” she teased.
 
“Kagome-sama! I'm too little to drink sake!” Rin giggled again, then glanced up at the taiyoukai before turning beet red. “I tried it once and it made my head feel funny…”
 
“As well as ruining a set of brand-new tatami mats when your stomach objected,” Momiji briskly interjected. “Shall we dine while the food is hot?” The trays were placed out in a strict order of precedence that Kagome couldn't help but note. Sesshomaru first, then Inuyasha, followed by herself and then Rin. When the taiyoukai picked up his chopsticks as the signal for all of them to begin, she held out her rice bowl to Momiji.
 
Inuyasha didn't make a move to join in, so she nudged his thigh surreptitiously as she took back her filled bowl. He started slightly, shooting her a glance before returning to an intense study of Sesshomaru's impassive countenance. The taiyoukai swallowed a mouthful before commenting, “I find it difficult to believe that you are not hungry, Inuyasha.”
 
“Why are you here?” the hanyou blurted out; Kagome inhaled sharply.
 
“I will not expose my allies to violent opportunism, no more than I would risk Rin,” Sesshomaru purred. “I can more efficiently protect all three of you if we are in one place.”
 
Kagome put down her bowl, her appetite vanishing. His definition of `protection' could use a little improvement! His little test of my ability to defend myself the other day was certainly unpleasant!
 
“Kagome-sama? Are you all right?” Momiji's quiet voice cut across her thoughts.
 
“Just a little tired,” she fibbed, then noticed that Inuyasha had yet to pick up his chopsticks. Instead, his head was bowed, his fists clenching as he struggled with himself to not have it out with Sesshomaru right here, right now. Not when I don't stand a chance against him… He twitched when Kagome's cool fingers wrapped around his balled fist, but then managed to find a reassuring smile for her as he exhaled and finally reached for his food.
 
With an effort, he kept his voice as level as possible. “Did Toku-san spice it up for me tonight?” he asked as he held out his rice bowl to Momiji.
 
The demoness smiled approvingly, silently thanking him for his efforts at keeping the peace. “Most definitely so. He remembers how much you liked his spicy grilled beef… Sesshomaru-sama, I'd take only a nibble of that dipping sauce if I were you, just in case the trays were mixed up.”
 
The taiyoukai gave her an old look. “I doubt I have anything to fear, since the only one who deliberately swapped trays was the Inu no Taisho.”
 
Momiji's lips twitched as Inuyasha began to snicker. “I'm amazed that you continued to brave the New Moon meals after that first encounter with wasabi paste, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
“A warrior never backs down from a challenge, culinary or otherwise,” he intoned dryly.
 
At that, Inuyasha laughed outright. “I'll never forget the look on your face, Sesshomaru… although it was kind of a dirty trick.”
 
“Indeed. He could be quite irascible at times.” Sesshomaru sipped his tea without further comment.
 
Inuyasha grinned. “I remember an incident when a load of tenbaryu dung was `accidentally' dumped next to the guest pavilion on the very day that his least favourite ally, Tojimaru, arrived. He said it was the shortest diplomatic mission in the history of the fortress!”
 
As Kagome listened to her hanyou making an attempt at civil conversation, the knot in her stomach loosened enough that she could enjoy the flavourful meal. A small covered bowl attracted her attention; curious, she peeked inside the lid and sniffed the fragrant aroma. Inuyasha instantly reacted. “You have to try that, koishii… that's Toku-san's special chawanmushi.”
 
She smiled at him as she dipped in her spoon. “One of your favourites?”
 
“Tastes like home…” His voice trailed off as he realized what he'd said, but he shook off the chill and asked, “Do you think your mother would know how to make this?”
 
Kagome examined the custard with interest. “Probably… it seems fairly simple.”
 
“Your mother does not have her own cook, Kagome-sama?” Momiji asked, quirking an eyebrow.
 
Kagome had to think about how to answer that. “I was born to a shrine family, Momiji-san, and my mother is mistress of her own kitchen. She also has the misfortune to be blessed with a daughter more comfortable with swords than kitchen knives.” She winked as she took a bite of the savoury dish. “Mmm… you're right, Inuyasha… this is delicious!”
 
“What's your favourite food, Kagome-sama?” Rin asked brightly, holding a precarious chop-stick-load of rice and vegetables. Again, Kagome had to think quickly. Oden isn't invented for a couple of hundred years… never mind ice cream.
 
“Noodles, Rin-chan… noodles in broth with meat and vegetables,” she finally replied, thinking fondly of the ramen stands on the street corners of the commercial district near the shrine, but also aware that the Chinese-style noodles weren't common until the Meiji era. I'll bet that ramen availability was right up there along with motorcycles as far as Yashita was concerned!
 
“I like steamed red bean dumplings,” the little girl said, nodding vigorously. “Ooh… and those special cherry-blossom cakes Toku-san made in the spring!”
 
“They were very artistic,” Sesshomaru agreed, inserting himself into the conversation; Kagome noticed that he had quietly and cleanly dispatched his meal while they were distracted. It must be really hard for him, since he can't hold his bowl up to his mouth like we can… but like everything else he does, he compensates elegantly for the loss of his arm; I wonder how long it took to grow back? She concentrated on finishing both the chawanmushi and the rest of her meal while wondering what was next on the agenda.
 
As it happened, a polite round of sake and then a killer game of `Go'.
 
Kagome wasn't quite sure how it ended up like this, but after a tiny cup of very high-grade liquor for the adults and some rapid manoeuvres, she and Rin were muttering together on one side of the game board while Inuyasha and Gitoumaru occupied the other… and the females were in a winning position, much to the males' chagrin. Normally, `Go' is played between two challengers, much like a duel; it was Momiji who mischievously suggested they play it as a team and nominated Gitoumaru as Inuyasha's partner.
 
Taking the opportunity of a conference between their opposition to check out the other game in progress, Kagome was delighted to see that Momiji was upholding her end as well in a hard-fought game against Sesshomaru. She's cleaning his clock! Kagome thought smugly, feeling warm and a little fuzzy-headed after the sake. If this was a real battlefield, Momiji would make an outstanding general! The demoness had managed to surround all of Sesshomaru's pieces and blocked off any lines of retreat. The grid-marked game board was a serene pattern of single black stones completely surrounded by white… but the taiyoukai was stubbornly refusing to `pass' on his move and admit defeat.
 
“Our `flower strategy' is working, Kagome-sama!” Rin crowed, bouncing up and down on her knees, her eyes sparkling. Across the low table, the demon and the hanyou sat with their hands shoved in their sleeves and identical glum expressions; the girls had managed to isolate all their pieces as well, with their game board dotted by black `petals' surrounding white stones, and both sides were entirely immobilized. “Do you surrender, Inuyasha-sama and Gitoumaru-kun?” the little girl asked gleefully.
 
The two inus exchanged glances, then heaved matching sighs. “Yeah, pup… we `pass'…”
 
Banzai! We win, Kagome-sama!” Rin pounced on her teammate and they almost went over in a giggling heap of vibrant silk. When the two victors regained their composure, they bowed politely to their sulking opponents before Rin skipped over to supervise the final moves of the other game-in-progress; she curled up by Sesshomaru and soon was sleepily rubbing her eyes.
 
Kagome accepted a cup of tea from Ume and watched as Inuyasha and Gitoumaru squared up to play against each other. This is very pleasant… it's almost like the way it is in the future, with the brothers being civil to each other. I wonder if Yash continues to play `Go' against Gitoumaru?
 
As if he was privy to her thoughts, Gitoumaru asked, “When was the last time you played `Go' before tonight, Inuyasha-sama?”
 
“Before you were born,” Inuyasha answered, scrubbing his fingers through his black bangs as if the silky hair itched. “I was pretty crappy because I cried if I lost… so Sesshomaru and my father let me win most of the time.”
 
“So good to hear you admit that, brother,” Sesshomaru commented, his eyes glinting. “You were a frightfully poor sport.”
 
“Keh… trying to keep up with you two was impossible, so I settled for something I was good at.” The hanyou flashed a wry grin at the taiyoukai… and for the tiniest moment, there was complete understanding between the two brothers. Kagome smiled herself, and then was taken by surprise by an enormous yawn that she barely muffled in her sleeve. Momiji noticed, and gestured to Ume.
 
“The medicine is wearing off, so to bed with you, Kagome-sama. You will have your first visitors tomorrow afternoon and we want you to be up to the task of taking tea and making polite conversation.”
 
What? Why?” Inuyasha demanded unhappily, watching as an obviously surprised Kagome was rapidly assisted to her feet by Ume and led towards the screened futon.
 
“You will be formally presented to the council tomorrow, making your presence here `official'. As the ranking female, your mate is expected to receive the wives of other courtiers,” Sesshomaru stated.
 
“You will be with her the entire time, Inuyasha-sama,” Momiji assured. “Her first visitors have already been selected. One is Gitoumaru-kun's lady mother, Shizuka-sama, and the other is Kohire-kun's aunt, Ichige-sama.”
 
“Loyalists only?” the hanyou asked, trying to figure out a reason to cancel this intrusion into the only rooms he felt truly safe in while at the fortress… although he had to admit that `safe' was a relative term.
 
“Yes. When she is stronger, we will permit other ladies to call upon her, but always with trusted retainers in the room at the same time. Anzu-san, fetch Rin-chan's bedding…”
 
“Oh, no need to bother, Momiji-san,” Kagome piped up. “Rin-chan can sleep with me.”
 
The little girl blinked from where she had almost nodded off on the tatami next to her guardian. “May I, Kagome-sama?” When Kagome held out her hand, she pushed herself to her feet and wobbled over; the two humans disappeared inside the screens, and soon sleepy conversation was heard as they readied themselves for bed. Anzu and Ume emerged shortly thereafter, folding colourful silk garments over their arms, and bowed themselves out to take up residence across the hall.
 
Inuyasha tried to concentrate on the game board, but his inability to hear or smell Kagome made him restless; his eyes kept twitching towards the concealing screens. “They are asleep; Gitoumaru-kun, shield those lamps and help me move the screens so that Inuyasha-sama can see his lady,” Momiji ordered, and when the silk panels were pulled back, the hanyou relaxed a little. Even through the obscuring sheer drapery, it was obvious that the little girl and Kagome were snuggled up together under the bright quilts and comfortably asleep.
 
Turning his attention back to the game, Inuyasha was able to recover from his poor position and manoeuvre Gitoumaru onto the defensive until they both had to `pass'. Sesshomaru counted up the points and awarded the win to the young inu-youkai by the slimmest of margins. Gitomaru bowed gracefully and with a wide smile said, “I shall cherish this victory, Inuyasha-sama, because I have a feeling that I would be regularly defeated under different circumstances!”
 
“You're pretty good, Git, so that's a real compliment… thanks.” Inuyasha bowed politely to his opponent, and then moved out of the way as Sesshomaru challenged the cobalt-striped youth. Gitoumaru's face fell slightly but then he steeled himself for `battle' against the taiyoukai on the game board.
 
Seating himself by Momiji with a clear view of the slumbering humans, the hanyou tried unsuccessfully to stifle a yawn of his own. The demoness observed him for a moment before tugging gently on his glossy black sidelock. “Go to bed, Inuyasha-sama. We will remain on watch.” He blinked at her, but before he could answer, she continued, “You must be on your toes for the council meeting tomorrow, so some sleep is advisable… and I don't mean with your sword propping you up, either.”
 
“But I, er, I don't…”
 
With a significant glance towards his brother, she murmured, “I give you my word that all will be well.” Momiji's dark eyes were keen; after a long moment while he weighed the value of her assurance, Inuyasha slowly nodded.
 
He won't murder me in my sleep; he wants a fair fight out of it. Until Hakimaru and Naraku are dealt with, our lives are safe. Rising to his feet, he padded over to the veiled futon and slipped inside the drapery. Treading carefully around to the far side from which he had a view of his brother, he lay down on top of the quilt and spooned himself around Kagome before draping his arm over both occupants, resting the Tetsusaiga alongside Rin. He didn't mean to fall asleep, but he was lightly snoring a few minutes after that.
 
Momiji fondly watched over her three charges before turning to eyeball the game board. Glancing at an absorbed Gitoumaru as he contemplated his next move, she then caught the taiyoukai's yellow eye. Shooting a significant look at the slumbering hanyou, she said, “Sesshomaru-sama, you would be wise not to repeat the mistakes of your previous encounters.”
 
“I do not make mistakes,” he instantly riposted… but they both knew their conversation had nothing to do the board game and everything to do with his desire for the Tetsusaiga.
 
The demoness smiled very sweetly and reached over to tap the `Go' board with a long claw. “Then why are you leaving yourself wide open to attack through holding an out-dated position? Your opponents will attempt to exploit this… here, Gitoumaru… move this piece and you have successfully prevented his escape.”
 
Sesshomaru arched his eyebrow at the two isolated white stones surrounded by black, and saw Momiji's point… but seeing and accepting are two entirely different things.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Inuyasha awakened just before dawn, thoroughly disoriented. His nose was buried in Kagome's hair and they were lying on a comfortable bed, but it most definitely wasn't in her room at the shrine. He'd obviously slept on one shoulder all night, because it was killing him. Slowly pulling the Tetsusaiga towards him, he encountered another, much smaller body occupying the same futon, and peered over Kagome's shoulder at Rin's angelic sleeping face. Momiji kept her word… He brushed Kagome's cheek with a kiss, then rolled up to sitting and stretched before moving off the futon.
 
Yellow eyes glowed from the shadows across the room as Inuyasha stepped out of the canopy, letting the sheer fabric fall closed behind him. The hanyou warily approached the taiyoukai and halted several paces away, his back straight and his head held high. They faced each other for several long moments, and then the sun edged up over the eastern horizon.
 
Sesshomaru watched in fascination as Inuyasha's body audibly pulsed, then silver bled into black. The human ears briefly became as pointed as his own before they shifted their position and remade themselves into pink-lined triangles that flickered and twitched as their owner reacquainted himself with the sounds of dawn in the fortress. Jagged blue stripes blazed into his cheeks and newly-minted golden eyes flashed as Inuyasha seated himself, resting the Tetsusaiga against his shoulder.
 
An olfactory memory poked at the back of Sesshomaru's mind, and he risked starting the day with dissent by asking, “Where you in human form when you first mated the miko?”
 
The hanyou blinked. “We didn't have time to finish the job properly before you showed up to send us to Kyoto…”
 
The taiyoukai nodded thoughtfully. “I should have recognized your human scent right away that morning… an oversight on my part.”
 
“Okay, Sesshomaru… spill it. What are you planning for the council meeting today?” Inuyasha growled, grimly sure that his brother was ultimately up to no good.
 
“You will be properly introduced as an honoured guest that has sworn the customary oath to not draw your sword unless it is in defence of your mate…”
 
Fuck that. Kagome will become a target as well!”
 
“That is exactly my intention,” Sesshomaru murmured. “If Hakimaru tries something before she fully recovers, you may `Wind Scar' him into the fifth hell. However, I rather hope that he holds off… I look forward to your little miko purifying him to ash.”
 
“Do I get any say in this at all? You want to risk my mate…”
 
“To remove a thorn in our side,” the taiyoukai snarled, his eyes bleeding slightly red.
 
“Sesshomaru-sama?” mumbled a sleepy little voice, and then a tousle-headed small girl tumbled barefoot across the tatami mats to curl up against the tall demon's side as his youki instantly retracted in her presence. Inuyasha saw an unaccustomed softness in his brother's expression as he carefully draped his long trailing sleeve over Rin to keep her warm in the chill of dawn.
 
“You really do care about the runt…” he muttered, more than slightly surprised by this display of consideration and an insight into his brother's psyche that he wasn't sure he really wanted.
 
“If the fortress is secure, then I may fight Naraku without concern for her safety.” Stretching the truth a little, he added, “Your miko has agreed to assist, little brother, so you are bound to support her.”
 
“Keh. I have a personal grudge to settle with Hakimaru over what he did to my mother; it's just a coincidence that our goals are the same,” Inuyasha grumbled, but then he picked up the sounds of Kagome stirring. “When should I show up at your study?”
 
“As soon as you have broken your fast.” He might have said more, but at that moment there was a light tap on the door panel, followed immediately by Anzu sliding it open. The teen bowed deeply before she entered the room and headed straight to the canopied futon. The brothers watched for her reaction when she realized that her young charge was missing, and they were not disappointed. Anzu started very badly, a look of pure fright crossing her pretty face as she again checked the bedding for the absent child. When she spun around to face Sesshomaru, he let her sweat for a moment before raising his arm high enough to reveal Rin sleeping soundly, her dark head pillowed on his thigh.
 
The teen blew out her cheeks in relief and respectfully approached the taiyoukai. “Breakfast is on its way, my lord. May I…?” He didn't answer, merely swept his sleeve aside and allowed her to retrieve the little girl, who woke up with a startled cry as soon as she was no longer in contact with Sesshomaru. “Hush, Rin-san… it is only me. Sesshomaru-sama must attend to his duties and you have lessons…” Anzu cajoled, gently patting Rin's back to fully awaken her.
 
“Don' wanna do lessons,” Rin pouted, rubbing her eyes while yawning widely. “Wanna stay with Kagome-sama an' sleep.” The teen talked quietly to the little girl as she carried her off to be dressed and fed in preparation for her day.
 
Without warning, Sesshomaru smoothly rose to his feet and stepped past Inuyasha, so close that his hakama brushed the hanyou's shoulder. “I will have Kiriaisai arrange an honour guard for you, but bring Gitoumaru-kun as well.” Jaken's strident tones could be distantly heard haranguing an unlucky servant or two, and he headed for the door to rescue the hapless victims of the imp's sharp tongue. He came up short at Inuyasha's quiet warning.
 
“Kagome believes in your honour and integrity… if you break your word to her, then Hakimaru will be the least of your worries.” The taiyoukai briefly nodded once, then was gone.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Edo
 
“Good morning, everyone!”
 
The dark-haired twin inu-youkai turned as Shiori's cheerful tones carolled through the dawn stillness as they tended their tenbaryu in the paddock. Steam from the animals' breath condensed in the cool air as they scented the bat-hanyou's approach, and then there was a chorus of answering chirps, quickly joined by Arashi and Juhi's soft nickers.
 
Shippo waved to Shiori from where he lounged on the scaly blue back of Ieji's yellow-eyed dragon-like tenbaryu. “Mornin'! Is breakfast ready?”
 
“Almost! My mother made porridge and Kaede-sama is grilling the rabbit Ita-kun caught last night.” The little hanyou squirmed through the fence and was not intimidated in the least by the massive heads that instantly dropped down to snuffle her. She giggled, dispensing pats and nose rubs as if she'd been around these beasts her entire life. “We'd better hurry, because Miroku-san wants to take Ieji-kun and Ita-kun on a dawn patrol.”
 
“Very well, Shiori-sama. Shall we go flying again after lunch?”
 
The little girl smiled broadly up at Ita, and hugged him enthusiastically around the leg, her red-violet eyes twinkling. “Yes please! After that, I think Sango-san and Kirara-sama have some plans involving the two of you…”
 
The inu-youkai arched a dark eyebrow. “Oh, really…?”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Western Fortress
 
The afternoon sun warm on his face, Inuyasha shifted against a red-lacquered support post, listening with one ear to the twittering of feminine voices on the other side of the wall panel and cocked the other in the direction of Gitoumaru's grumbling as he scrubbed half-heartedly at Kagome's filthy quiver. The muttering teen crouched over a wooden basin filled with soapy water, his sleeves tied back and armed with a stiff-bristled brush as he attempted to clean the leather case of its encrustation of dried blood. The hanyou rotated his ear the other way, listening to the soft rustle of brightly-hued maple leaves and the faint `plops' as the fat koi in the pond rose to the surface in hopes of being fed. Beyond that, there were the low voices of the visitors' escorts as they took their ease on the pavilion's veranda, but he felt no threat from their presence. Instead, Inuyasha felt remarkably at ease on this early-fall day, soaking up the sun while his freshly laundered fire-rat and loose hair were ruffled by a cool breeze in this corner of his mother's garden.
 
He had to admit that the morning's council meeting had gone rather well, all things considered. Despite Momiji cornering him immediately after breakfast and browbeating him into putting his hair back into a topknot, he had felt extremely confident with the Tetsusaiga at his hip plus Tsu and Kohire at his back. Two other guards hand-picked by Kiriaisai preceded him while Gitoumaru brought up the rear; Kagome had been reluctantly left in Ume's custody and protected by a detachment commanded by Fuchi and Saya.
 
Upon his arrival in the study, resplendent in his father's heavy silver-embroidered red silk, Sesshomaru had looked him over but said nothing; Jaken had glared before turning his back with an audible `humph!' and preceding them into the council chamber. As his brother led the way into the room, Inuyasha schooled his features into a neutral mask and followed on his heels. At the head of the room, facing the double line of keen-eyed courtiers, two cushions awaited; the hanyou sucked it up and sat down first, realizing that it was in his and Kagome's best interests to make it clear that he was submitting to Sesshomaru's authority and therefore, protection.
 
The taiyoukai seated himself a moment later in a swirl of deep violet silk, laying Tenseiga on the floor in front of his cushion instead of the customary placement to the side. Inuyasha followed suit, lining up Tetsusaiga with the other fang before folding his hands inside his sleeves; the only sounds in the room were those of necks craning and eyes popping.
 
“The Court of the Western Lands is honoured by a visit from Inuyasha-sama and his mate, Kagome-sama of Edo. As per custom, he has promised not to use his sword except for the protection of his mate or in self-defence,” Sesshomaru intoned.
 
While his brother went through the formalities of establishing the hanyou's place in the pecking order, Inuyasha studied each of the faces in turn, noting which courtiers deferentially lowered their eyes and inclined their heads in response to his scrutiny, and which defiantly held his gaze. The latter were definitely in the minority, but the fact that they felt safe enough to openly display their derision was sobering. At the rear of the room, he found the one that truly haunted his nightmares.
 
Eyes the colour of hammered brass glowed in a sharply intelligent face marked with a vivid blue crescent moon and framed by pale white-gold hair. Hakimaru's thin lips curved into a sardonic smile as he unflinchingly met Inuyasha's furious glare.
 
Sesshomaru felt rather than heard the hanyou's hackles go up as a subsonic growl rumbled the air between them. He easily followed Inuyasha's line of sight to the smirking courtier and quickly intervened by sending a low growl of his own in the hanyou's direction before formally acknowledging the elder inu-youkai's presence. “Welcome, uncle,” he murmured in distinctly icy tones, and Hakimaru inclined his head just enough to be considered polite while using the greeting as an excuse to break off his staring contest with Inuyasha.
 
The meeting had broken up rapidly after that, and Inuyasha found himself the recipient of unaccustomed and slightly unnerving positive attention. Several courtiers made a point of bowing just as deeply to him as to Sesshomaru and personally welcoming him to the fortress, their eyes straying to the Tetsusaiga's hilt. Hakimaru had slipped away in the tumult, but the very thought of him being on the loose in the same place as Kagome had raised the hair on Inuyasha's neck. His return trip to the pavilion had tested his patience, as his progress was impeded by well-wishers that seemingly appeared out of the woodwork, and he understood why Sesshomaru had waited until after the New Moon to `officially' announce his presence.
 
Kagome had been dosed with more of Momiji's herbal medicine after her bath, and she was sleeping again when he returned. After half an hour or so, Jaken had arrived and stiffly invited him on a tour of the fortress, making it very plain that he was only following orders and would much rather be doing something else far more pleasant, such as having bamboo slivers jammed under his claws. Contemplating his brother's questionable mark of favour, Inuyasha decided that annoying Jaken by accepting his grudging offer would be an entertaining way to fill the time until Kagome woke up. She's well-guarded, so it's worth the risk. Besides, there is a chance that my absence might encourage Hakimaru to reveal his hand sooner rather than later.
 
His four bodyguards fell into position on his flanks as he followed the mortified toad-imp along familiar corridors, through shadowed courtyards and past curving-roofed towers. The smell of cooking rice destined for the mid-day meal caught the hanyou's attention, and he veered off in the direction of the kitchens, intending to thank the redoubtable head cook for his thoughtfulness. Jaken scrambled along behind, squawking and waving the Staff of Two Heads, until he regained the lead just as they reached the open doors of the massive outbuilding.
 
Heat from the bench hearths and open fires blasted them; Inuyasha covered his face with his sleeve and flattened his ears before forging ahead into the outbuilding. Through the vaporous atmosphere and the heat waves, he spotted his quarry on the far side, poking in a giant kettle with his trademark long-handled tasting spoon. Silence fell as the hanyou crossed the room, the sweating kitchen staff bowing respectfully at this lordly appearance in their smoky, over-heated enclave.
 
As Inuyasha approached the short, chubby male inu-youkai who resembled racoon far more than dog, he was caught off guard as Toku turned and mischievously brandished his spoon under the hanyou's nose. “Under whose authority dost thou invade my domain… by the fifth hell!” The spoon dropped away as Toku goggled up at the smirking apparition of the long-dead Inu no Taisho, and then squeaked in a most undignified manner when a pair of fuzzy ears popped up in front of the sleek topknot.
 
“S'matter, Toku-san? You look like you've seen a ghost.” The hanyou grinned down at the gaping demon, thoroughly enjoying the stunned expression on his round face.
 
After a long moment, Toku shook his tubby frame and bowed, then cocked an eyebrow. “Thy resemblance to thy illustrious father is most striking, Inuyasha-sama. To what does this humble cook owe the honour of thy visit?”
 
“Thanks for the chawanmushi… and for the specially-seasoned meal last night,” Inuyasha said. “My mate also enjoyed the custard…”
 
The diminutive demon's eyes twinkled. “Congratulations on finding a lady who can keep up with thee, my lord. I understand that she is as lovely as Izayoi-sama.”
 
“I'll introduce you to her as soon as she has fully recovered from her injuries,” the hanyou promised, and then made his escape from the stifling heat with the rest of his wilting escort. A heavily-perspiring Jaken continued to do his duty, taking him around the rest of the fortress until Inuyasha took pity on him and dismissed the parched toad-imp.
 
He had no sooner arrived back at the pavilion when he was shooed off again to bathe; upon his return, he had been literally struck speechless. Kagome had been primped for her afternoon activities as a hostess, and she quite frankly took his breath away. The sides of her hair were swept up with coral and jade adorned combs, and she was draped in at least ten layers of autumn-hued silk robes over a russet-toned kosode secured with a golden sash. She rose to her feet to greet him, holding out her arms to show off the trailing sleeves. “I wouldn't last ten seconds on the battlefield in this outfit,” she chuckled wryly, smiling up at him as he stepped close.
 
Stroking her cheek with the backs of his claws, he murmured, “Myoga was right all those months ago; you are as `lovely as the dawn',” before stooping to softly kiss her. Kagome was blushing prettily by the time he let her come up for air; her eyes were misty from the tender attention, but for the first time in days, she appeared alert and even lively. “How are you feeling, koishii?” he asked, continuing to rub his thumb along her chin.
 
“Much better; that medicine of Momiji-san's is really helping, but I don't know if I can pull off being `Kagome-sama' today…”
 
“Keh. You have more class than most of the pedigreed bitches around this fortress, so don't worry. Besides, aren't you the one who is used to hanging out with the Emperor?”
 
She'd laughed then, and the happy sound had lifted his spirits even further. Catching her in his arms, he'd swung her around once before gently setting her back on her feet, mindful of the rich fabric as he hugged her. They'd dined together, and then all the males had been told to make themselves scarce upon the arrival of the two noble guests.
 
Flicking his ear at an annoying fly, he caught a snippet of some witticism or other, followed by a tinkling laugh that he identified as belonging to Gitoumaru's mother. Shizuka-sama came across as a frivolous little thing highly prone to giddiness, but she was utterly devoted to her husband and her only son… whose ear tips were rather red from the effusive motherly bragging. Ichige-sama, on the other hand, was far more serious; Inuyasha wondered if the choice of these opposing personalities was deliberate, as they seemed to move within different social circles within the court.
 
“This is just not coming clean!” Gitoumaru growled, throwing the scrub brush into the basin in disgust and spattering his hakama with dirty water.
 
“Oi… you left it out here in the sun for another day, so what do you expect, Git?” Inuyasha smirked. “Momiji told you to get at it yesterday morning.”
 
The youth scowled at the battered leather case. “Wouldn't it just be easier if Kagome-sama requisitioned a new one from the armoury…?”
 
“That quiver was a gift from the Emperor, along with her bow, so I don't think replacing it is all that simple.”
 
Gitoumaru sighed heavily, fished out the scrub brush and went at the mucky leather with as much enthusiasm as if he were asked to gut a three-day-old dead fish at the height of summer. Inuyasha chuckled quietly and tilted his face up to the sun… just as he detected a familiar scent. Stepping out from under the eaves, he shaded his eyes and peered upward.
 
White mane and tail rippling in the breeze as he hovered over a neighbouring part of the fortress, a steel-grey tenbaryu gave a long cry that sounded rather desperate to the watching hanyou. Cupping his hands around his mouth, he shouted, “Oi! Brimstone-breath! Over here!” then waved when the creature's head snapped towards him. Inuyasha then quickly moved to the wall panel and slid it open. As several heads within turned towards him, he flashed a fanged grin. “Incoming.”
 
Just as he stepped out of the way, a rather large body whooshed past him and into the room. Kagome yelped as Kumo nuzzled her frantically while chirruping loudly. Recovering rapidly, the girl shouted in delight and flung her arms around his massive neck, quite heedless of her fine robes as she hugged the trembling animal fiercely. “Kumo! You're here! I'm so glad!” The startled visitors didn't quite know how to react to the tenbaryu's abrupt appearance, and they were certainly taken aback when Kagome caught Kumo's leathery muzzle in her hands and planted an affectionate kiss right between his red eyes.
 
Momiji stepped into the breach, giving the smirking hanyou, the human and the huge animal a very sharp look. “Kagome-sama, tenbaryu are not generally kept as indoor pets… oh, no!” As she spoke, Kumo's clawed hooves tore a couple of long gashes in the tatami mats and gouged the wooden floor underneath as he tried to curl himself protectively around Kagome. His head twisted towards Momiji and he bared his fangs; a small plume of smoke leaked out of his flaring nostrils.
 
Kagome hastily intervened. “It's okay, Kumo… Momiji-san is right. You're a little large to snuggle in my lap… what's this?” She noticed the leather strap circling the base of his neck and turned it until she saw the attached pouch. “Is it for me?” The tenbaryu raised his chin so that she could unhook the small bag. Inuyasha leapt into the room and crouched next to her, scratching Kumo under the chin as Kagome loosened the drawstring and poured several narrow folded pieces of paper into her hand. “What're these…?” Dropping the rest into her lap, she opened the first one and promptly burst into tears.
 
“What's the matter?” Inuyasha demanded, shifting to look over her shoulder. Kagome shook her head, momentarily speechless as she read the neat lines of characters unmistakeably by Miroku's hand.
 
“Letters from Edo,” she finally replied, dashing away the moisture on her cheeks and rifling through the rest of the small squares. Recollecting that she had company, she looked up to smile quietly at her guests. “Please excuse us; these are from our pack…”
 
“Of course, Kagome-sama,” intoned Ichige; she, Shizuka and their maids bowed politely before taking their leave through the main doors. Momiji eyed the damaged tatami but found that she really couldn't say very much because of the tenbaryu's obvious affection for the young woman.
 
“You seem to have a talent for attracting demonic admirers,” she commented while she and Ume straightened the tea table. “Would you like some paper and ink to compose your replies?”
 
“Yes, please…” Kagome answered distractedly, pouring over Sango's note. “Kumo has to rest first, though; he can't turn around and leave again today.”
 
“I'm sure he'll be made welcome in the stables; the other tenbaryu will be happy for a chance to swap scale mites…” As she wrinkled her nose at him, she could have sworn the beast stuck out his long black tongue at her, but it might have been merely a yawn.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“C'mon, houshi, or you'll miss the show!” Shippo shouted exuberantly as he dashed around the monk in dizzying circles.
 
“You certainly are excited, my fine young kitsune,” Miroku observed, pushing yet another leafy branch out of his path and momentarily wishing for Okibi to do a little vegetation-levelling. The golden tenbaryu was keeping watch over Arashi down in the paddock while her herd-mates were out hunting with Ieji and Ita in company with Sango and Kirara.
 
“Wait'll you see some of their moves! They're amazing!” Shippo enthused, running up Miroku's leg to perch on his shoulder just as wild cheering broke out just ahead.
 
“Shippo-kun… what exactly is going on?” he asked, increasing his pace because he distinctly heard a wager and Sango's name uttered in the same sentence.
 
“A slayer versus youkai sparring match,” the kitsune smugly revealed, then launched off Miroku's shoulder with a wild whoop to race across the meadow and into a ring-side seat next to Shiori on Ita's scaly green tenbaryu.
 
Miroku blinked. Inside a circle of cheering spectators, Sango's slender black-clad body twisted and spun, her dark tail of hair gleaming in the afternoon sunlight as she crossed blades with not one but two half-naked demons. From the whistles and good-natured jibes, it sounded like the audience was just as appreciative of the leanly muscled torsos of the twins as they were of the slayer's sword-work. The monk slowly approached the combat circle and was rather taken aback when he was abruptly dug in the ribs by one of the villagers.
 
“Is thy wife as adept at handling thy personal weapon, houshi-sama?” The man loudly laughed at his own coarse jest; Miroku was saved from comment by the laundress, who clouted the speaker over the head and nearly felled him on the spot.
 
“Keep thy lewdness to thyself, Taro, or I will tell thy wife of that tinker's maid ye tried to sweet talk into the bushes last week!”
 
As Taro slunk away, Miroku gravely bowed his thanks to the laundress and turned his attention back to the match. My lady is never lovelier than when she is in the midst of battle… Sango's cheeks were attractively flushed, her dark eyes flashing brightly as she parried a blow from one inu-youkai then instantly slashed at the other. The twins were definitely not moving at their full battle-speed, but they were obviously enjoying themselves as they dodged Sango's strikes.
 
The monk noticed that there were quite a few young ladies of the village among the spectators; he wondered which of them had been so bold as to attach the love charms to Kaede's hut. Inspecting the blushing faces more closely, he fixed on two girls in particular who were giggling and whispering together behind their hands. Hmm… weren't those the two who presented the twins with food packages the last time they were here…? Kirara mewed up at him before easily leaping up onto his shoulder where she settled herself with her tails wrapped around his neck.
 
He scratched her ears, admitting to himself that the twins made a fine sight stripped down to their hakama and boots. Their muscles rippled and slid under their pale skin, their long tails of black hair spiralling around them as they spun and twisted through the steps of their elaborate and potentially deadly dance with the slayer. Miroku suppressed a flash of jealousy that Sango obviously enjoyed the company of these two good-looking demons, and instead recalled the jaunty reassurance that Shippo had tossed at him the night of their arrival. However, he still nearly cracked the shaft of his staff when, upon mutual agreement, the trio put up their weapons… and his Sango smiled brilliantly at her opponents as the circle of spectators broke up.
 
Ita bowed deeply. “Thank you, Sango-sama; that was most enjoyable,” he said, as Ieji followed suit.
 
“It was my pleasure,” the slayer responded, wiping her brow with the back of her hand. “This is a great way to stay in fighting trim while we wait for Kagome and Inuyasha!”
 
Miroku eyed the two darkly handsome inu-youkai, their lean bodies glistening with sweat, and suddenly felt very possessive of Sango. For her part, the slayer blithely ignored his presence as she walked up to the twins and familiarly punched each of them lightly in the arm. “Same time tomorrow?” she asked, and they nodded.
 
“I should like to see your Hiraikotsu in action again, Sango-sama; your technique is most impressive.” Ieji commented as he slung his dragon-hide tunic over his shoulder and pushed his sweaty bangs out of his face. They were interrupted by the two girls that Miroku had noted before, tightly holding bamboo water flasks as they hesitantly approached.
 
“Would you care for some fresh water, youkai-sama?” one asked, offering her container to a bemused Ita while the other girl flushed as pink as her sash as she shyly held out hers to Ieji.
 
Miroku was about to warn the twins against the possible presence of love potions, but held his tongue instead. I doubt they would be harmed by any herbal concoctions the girls may have added… and I'd definitely prefer their attentions be fixed somewhere else! As the twins bowed politely to the girls, who then scuttled off in a flurry of giggles, Sango derailed his grumpy train of thought by tucking herself under his arm and smiling brightly up at him.
 
“Did you see much of our sparring match?” she asked; he tenderly brushed damp tendrils away from her face before stooping to lightly kiss her.
 
“Highly entertaining, as well as good conditioning, I'll wager,” he said, and Kirara meowed an agreement before hopping down and transforming to her full size. As the twins swung aboard their tenbaryu, Shiori held securely in Ita's arms and Shippo riding pillion behind Ieji, Sango retrieved Hiraikotsu and slid onto Kirara's back.
 
The slayer grinned cheekily at the monk. “You'll have to walk, because Shippo and Shiori challenged Kirara and I to a race back to the village for first dibs on the hot water. See you there!” With that, all three demonic creatures sprang into the sky and rapidly vanished over the treetops, trailing a chorus of excited yells and laughter. Miroku stood in the deserted meadow for a moment longer, listening to the calming silence while he struggled with several unkind thoughts towards those who left him behind.
 
Sighing, he turned to retrace his steps and tried to think of other things… which, for him, naturally led to envisioning Sango wearing considerably less than her slayer's uniform, her dark eyes bright and only for him in the privacy of the storage shed… and then a wicked grin crossed his face as an idea for making it plain to all creatures of a demonic inclination that Sango was his.
 
The only tricky part is doing it without her catching on, which would lead to a conversation I most definitely do not wish to have, simply because jealousy is unbecoming to a servant of Buddha. Nodding briskly to himself, he straightened his robes and strode off unhurriedly in the direction of the village.
 
Several hours later, when he and Sango had retired to their pallet after a meal with Kaede, Shippo and the twins, he put his plan into action. He was even more determined upon it after watching his wife animatedly discussing various types of weapons and fighting techniques with the brothers in a conversation that left him out in the cold. Chatting with Kaede about counter-spells and healing herbs was all well and good, but even when Kagome and Sango had similar professional discussions about their particular methods of destruction, he'd never felt quite so left out. How can I compete with not one but two handsome warriors? Their only disadvantage is that they happen to be demons, but I doubt Sango sees them that way, surrounded as we are by nekos, kitsunes and hanyous. However, I know that I have her heart… I just have to make it very clear that her body belongs to me, too!
 
Sango untied her apron and folded it neatly, then raised her hands to undo the tie restraining her hair. Miroku quickly stepped up behind her and freed the dark tresses, taking the opportunity to inhale her scent while dropping his hands to the knot in her sash. After loosening the narrow strip of fabric, he parted her kosode and gently tugged the garment until it slipped down her arms.
 
She leaned back against him with her eyes closed, enjoying the sensations of his lips moving across her bare shoulders, hardly noticing when her kosode slipped to the floor between their feet. His warm fingers splayed over her belly, the prayer beads briefly cool before her body heated them.
 
“Miroku…” Sango turned in his embrace and stood on tip-toe to kiss him softly, then began working at the ties and layers of his robes. He curled his arms around her, resting his hands on her hips and lightly caressing the soft skin of her buttocks with restless fingertips. Nuzzling and kissing her hair and her forehead, he dipped his head to nibble on her ear, smiling when she giggled at the teasing contact. Despite his distractions, she finally loosened his robes enough to slip her hands inside and push the layers of fabric off his shoulders.
 
She hugged him close, skin against skin and sprinkled kisses across his chest as he shook his arms free. Flashing a mischievous glance up at him, she took hold of the string securing his leggings and had it undone in a flash, then peeled the fabric down his strong thighs to puddle around his ankles. As she knelt and worked at his fundoshi, it became apparent to Miroku that while what she appeared to have in mind was certainly attractive, it wouldn't do a thing towards accomplishing his goal.
 
Just as Sango laid a soft kiss on his belly below his navel and began to head further south, Miroku kicked free of the restraining fabric and dropped to his knees. Catching her in his arms, he pulled her into his chest and occupied her with an intense kiss while he rummaged briefly behind him. Coming up with his kosode, he draped it over her shoulders. “Put it on, koi...” he murmured, guiding her arms into the garment.
 
Somewhat puzzled, Sango obeyed and was then lifted onto the pallet, Miroku instantly covering her with his warm body. Kissing and licking, he went to work, covering her bare skin with expressions of affection, listening contentedly as she moaned and squirmed beneath him. It wasn't until he moved past her short curls and down her thighs without so much as a nuzzle into her softest flesh that Sango caught on. He stilled when she giggled just as his lips reached her kneecap.
 
“Miroku… are you scent-marking me for the benefit of our inu-youkai guests?”
 
Her husband peeked guiltily at up her through his bangs. “Whatever gave you that idea, my love?” he asked as innocently as possible, and then tried to distract her by tickling the sensitive skin on the back of her knee.
 
“Hmmm… the fact that I'm wearing your robe and you're pretty much touching every square inch of my skin that you can reach?”
 
“Er…”
 
She reached down and stroked her fingers through his hair, smiling at the somewhat flustered monk. “Were you jealous when you saw me sparring with the twins?”
 
“Maybe… just a tiny bit…” he admitted. When he saw the knowing twinkle in her eye, he added, “All right… to be perfectly honest… I was.”
 
“Well, they are very handsome…” she purred, tickling his neck. “However, my taste runs to highly attractive men of the cloth.” Cupping his face, she sat up and pulled him in for a deep kiss that made his head spin. Taking hold of his ponytail, she pulled out the thong and ran her fingers through his hair just before again reclining. Holding his gaze, she undulated her body in a very suggestive manner, an inviting smile on her lips. Wetting her fingertip with her tongue, she tapped the satiny skin just above her short curls. “I think you missed a spot…”
 
“Forgive me, my love… allow me to rectify that oversight immediately…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
One week later
 
After a week that saw Inuyasha become increasingly irritable as each day went by, waiting for an attack that never came, and invitations to take tea in the curving-roofed pavilion in the garden became sought-after commodities among the titled ladies of the fortress, the hanyou in particular began to feel a touch restless. Kumo had remained with them only overnight before embarking on his return trip to Edo, the small pouch around his neck filled with messages for their friends. Inuyasha had even held still long enough to write a couple of notes to Miroku and Shippo; Kagome had been briefly startled to recognize Yashita's strong, slashing hand as she read the missives over her hanyou's shoulder.
 
They were in effect trapped at the fortress by Kagome's slow recovery and further bound by her promise to help Sesshomaru in exchange for his assistance against Naraku. This was not in any way conducive to improving Inuyasha's temper, to the point that on the morning after Kumo's departure, Momiji had conspired with Kiriaisai to have the hanyou join the household guards as they went through their training regimen. Burning off some of his aggression and tension in these daily full-on sparring matches was the only thing that kept Inuyasha calm. He didn't win all the time, but he won something far more important; the respect and admiration of many of the fortress' residents.
 
Ten days after her precipitous and bloodied arrival at the Western Fortress, and three days after she felt well enough to no long require Momiji's medicinal draughts, Kagome slowly awakened in her comfortable futon… without her hanyou. Sighing, she rolled over and snuggled into Inuyasha's side of the bedding. I've become used to falling asleep in his arms and waking up alone, but I really don't like it! Not to mention how he won't touch me… as if he's afraid I'll break…he says it's a security issue, but I have my doubts… She dozed off again, dreamily imagining strong arms and amber eyes, warm skin and erotic caresses, until something pinged off her consciousness. Was that… Inuyasha's youki?
 
Carefully sitting up, Kagome felt a tingle of familiar energy brushing over her from Inuyasha's accustomed spot outside the screens, and could hardly contain her instant excitement. I can sense him! I'm back to normal! Taking a deep breath to calm her racing heart rate, she cupped her hands and concentrated. The rush of power coursing through her body caught her off guard, and she barely controlled the mixed pink and silver flames that blasted into existence in her palms.
 
“Kagome? What the hell…?” A very surprised hanyou stopped dead at the sight of his mate wreathed in leaping energy, then parted the sheer canopy for a closer look.
 
Kagome grinned from ear-to-ear, her silver eyes flashing brightly. “Quick, Inuyasha… bring Fenik to me!” He obeyed, rapidly crossing the room to a weapons stand on top of an ornamental chest. Her sword had been banished to this spot after one too many incidents where it had tangled in the bedding and crushed Ume's toes when she dealt with the futon in the mornings.
 
Inuyasha was about to simply grab the sheathed blade when memory made him cautious. Gingerly hefting the weapon, his fingers tingled and there was a mild zap, but he supposed that was Fenik's way of saying `good morning'. “Here you go, koishii… do you think you're healed?” he asked as he handed her the sword and seated himself on the side of the futon.
 
Again the blinding smile as she extinguished the flames dancing in her palm. “One way to find out!” Kagome took hold of the weapon and popped the sword slightly free of the scabbard. “Fenik…? Talk to me… please.”
 
There was a pause before anything happened, during which Kagome's knuckles whitened and she rested her forehead against the hilt. Then, a swirl of sparkling silver motes poured out of the sheath and coiled around her, thickening and taking on a distinct form until Inuyasha growled at the sight of the silver-and-black haired sword-demon brushing his name-sake weapon out of the way to take Kagome in his arms… and the girl returning the embrace while relieved tears slid down her cheeks.
 
The hanyou's dark eyebrows disappeared into his hairline as Fenik tenderly wiped Kagome's tears away with gentle claws. However, he couldn't restrain himself when the manifestation then leaned in to kiss her forehead. “What the fuck do you think you're doing?” he demanded angrily, cracking his knuckles.
 
Molten silver cat's-slit eyes pinned him in place as Fenik turned on him. `Saying hello to the woman that means everything to both of us… what does it look like?' An arched eyebrow and sardonic expression challenged the hanyou to voice his perceptions, but Inuyasha swallowed his discontent in favour of a stare-down.
 
Kagome quietly intervened, reaching out to lay a hand on each of the bristling inus. “Where have you been, Fenik?”
 
He dragged a clawed hand through his long hair before sighing and smiling quietly at her. `I wasn't strong enough to save you myself, so I asked Tenseiga for assistance… remember?' When she nodded, he continued, completely ignoring the gob-smacked hanyou. `He's as powerful as Tetsusaiga… maybe even more so… and filtering his energies so that he could heal your injuries utterly fried both Riko and me.'
 
“So we all needed time to recover,” Kagome murmured. “Is Midoriko all right?”
 
`Yes… where are your shards? She wants to talk to you.'
 
“Sesshomaru has them; he was guarding them until you both came back.”
 
Fenik frowned. `How long have we been out of action?'
 
“Ten days.”
 
`Crap. At least you're alive… you scared me for a while there, sweetheart.' He affectionately ruffled her bangs before turning to Inuyasha. `What's the situation now?'
 
The hanyou bit back another angry growl at Fenik's familiarity with his mate and replied, “We're waiting for an asshole named Hakimaru to make a move; he's been quiet for too long.”
 
`Why are we still here, then, if Kagome is in danger?' the sword demon wanted to know.
 
“Kagome agreed to help Sesshomaru protect his ward,” Inuyasha grumbled. “He can't leave her at the fortress without fear that Hakimaru might try something while he's chasing down Naraku.”
 
Glancing quickly at the hanyou, Kagome added, “Inuyasha also has a personal reason for wanting to make sure Hakimaru is eliminated.”
 
`All right… so the sooner we get rid of this `Hakimaru', the sooner we can leave, correct?' Fenik rubbed his ear tip, smoothing the silver tuft between his fingers. `I have a couple of things I want to say to Sesshomaru about how he treated Nixie when she was hurt… how soon can we set up a meeting with him?'
 
You want to talk to Sesshomaru? Whaddya mean… `how he treated her'?” Inuyasha spluttered, shooting a suspicious look at Kagome.
 
That's between him, me and Nixie. Stick around; I think you'll enjoy the show!” The sword demon grinned very toothily just as he disappeared into a sparkling twist. Kagome slid the blade home with a soft click and met Inuyasha's fiery gaze.
 
“After all this is over, I'm getting to the bottom of why that mangy manifestation touches you like he has a right!” he snarled. She laid the sword aside and crawled into his lap; he was stiff with anger, but after a few moments he relented and pulled her close. “What the hell was Fenik referring to, Kagome? What did that asshole do to you?” his tone very soft and dangerous.
 
“He was testing my defences… it wasn't very pleasant, but I survived.” At his ferocious growl, she tugged on his sidelock and added, “I don't want you to get involved in it, Inuyasha. As Fenik said, it's between Sesshomaru and me… and I intend to put him in his place.” The hanyou unwilling subsided as she burrowed into his chest.
 
Fenik… you'd better not do any PDAs again!
Couldn't help it, Nixie. You're too precious… and we nearly lost you.
That's very sweet, but if it makes Inuyasha more suspicious about your origins than he already is… well, that's a conversation I don't really want to have with him right now.
Couldn't you just tell him that I'm his `love child'?
Gah! Midoriko… if you can hear me, please smack that bobcat-eared brat?
Ow! Ah, it's so good to be back with my two favourite ladies
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Three hours later, Sesshomaru stepped into the main room of the red-timbered pavilion to see Kagome kneeling on the tatami mats, her head bowed as if in meditation, her hands demurely folded into the generous sleeves of her jade-green kosode. Inuyasha stood to the side, his hands also shoved inside his suikan sleeves but looking considerably less serene. Glancing from one to the other, the taiyoukai rumbled, “You are recovered?”
 
Silver eyes glinted. “Care to test me?” she challenged, the defiant edge in her tone serving as a warning. Sesshomaru narrowed his gaze and then his hair lifted from the force of his youki as he threw it at her in a roiling blast. Kagome coolly smirked… and then she snapped open the weapon she had hidden in her sleeves. A glittering silver dome flashed into existence, effortlessly deflecting the green energy before it touched her.
 
The taiyoukai lashed out with his energy whip, but a second crackling pink layer reduced his attack to mere wisps of vapour. Then, Sesshomaru was taken aback as a massive silver dog came howling into existence and lunged towards him, murderous intent plainly obvious. Snarling viciously, the ghostly animal leapt for him; solid-sounding fangs snapped closed only inches from his throat. For just a split-second, Sesshomaru gave ground, but it was enough.
 
“Heel, Fenik,” Kagome murmured and the dog obeyed, but not until the creature directed a final baleful glare and fang-baring snarl in the taiyoukai's direction. The girl's dark hair floated above her shoulders as she met his eyes over the spectral dog's head as it crouched in front of her. “Is that enough for you?” she asked quietly, making it clear that she would not be averse to unleashing the hound again if he required further proof.
 
Sesshomaru nodded, watching with intense interest as the dog vanished back into her scabbard. Reaching inside his kosode, he extracted a small pouch and tossed it into her lap. As Kagome scooped up the Jewel shards, he turned to leave just as Inuyasha stepped in between them. “Prepare yourselves; the trap is ready to be laid,” he advised before sweeping away.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Alexandrine, Del Kaiden, DQ Bunny, Fano and Forthright… if it wasn't for your gifts of music (`Keep on Truckin', `Phoenix Blade', `Slayers', `AfroCelts' and (really, really) `Oldies') I seriously doubt this chapter would have been finished within a reasonable timeframe.
 
Spam alert: I've embarked on a massive edit of the fic that will see your inboxes crammed with re-posting notifications in the near future. The number of chapters will drop dramatically as I condense the fic into a more reasonable amount; however, no material will be lost. In fact, I am adding new detail and description in some of the earlier chapters. Thanks very much to Nokomarie the Snake for the cyber-kick in the keester!