InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Cry 'Havoc'... ( Chapter 72 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. All characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan Publishing, and VIZ is in the dog-pile somewhere, too.
 
A/N: We're almost at the end of the fortress interlude; thanks for your patience with the `original filler'! This is Part One of a two-part posting; Part Two is currently being edited. If you are sensitive to citrus content, avoid the last few pages of this chapter.
 
`Hatsuyuki' means `first snow'; I dearly wish Rumiko Takahashi had given SessMom a name instead of forcing us to make up new ones! `Aiji' means `beloved child'.
 
The title of this and the next chapter come from a line in William Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, Act III, Scene 1.
 
Much thanks to Forthrightly and Nokomarie the Snake for their suggestions!
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 72: Cry `Havoc'…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
Chief Wife's Pavilion, Western Fortress
 
Sesshomaru sure doesn't mess around Kagome grumped. He `lays' the trap before lunch and by tea time the fortress is in an uproar! She listened with half an ear to the excited twitterings of the ladies who had come to call as they discussed the court celebration newly slated for the following evening. Momiji was sequestered in the kitchens with Toku `discussing' the menu; from the amused comments, Kagome gathered that these meetings were famed for the level of conflict between the two senior members of the household staff. In Momiji and Inuyasha's absence, Ume stayed close to her side and her designated bodyguard Saya lurked in the corner, his vivid red hair practically glowing against the pale wall.
 
Hey, Nixie… why so grouchy?
I really want to find out how badly out of shape I am after ten days and a snake bite, especially if we might have to go up against this `Hakimaru'.
Ah, listening in on matronly fashion advice isn't your thing?
If they were talking about body armour, I'd pay attention. Since mine is now functionally useless, I need to locate something a little more practical than these nice silk robes.
You're sounding more like your old self, Kagome.
Nothing like the possible threat of attack or assassination to wake you right up, I suppose. I feel so much better since you both came back; I missed you!
We all needed time to recover from our encounter with Tenseiga, and not a moment too soon. You are completely healed, but you may find the scar tissue pulls a bit. However, it shouldn't compromise your range of motion.
Once these ladies clear out, I'll put myself through the Imperial kata and see how it goes.
Excellent idea.
 
“What will you wear to the feast, Kagome-sama?” A very bubbly Shizuka asked, breaking up the internal conversation.
 
Kagome blinked. Recovering quickly, she said, “I expect that Momiji-san will choose something suitable…”
 
“I wonder whether it will be another of Hatsuyuki-sama's formal silks, or perhaps we will finally see one of Izayoi-sama's beautiful ensembles? You would look especially lovely in the `Winter Cherry',” Gitoumaru's mother prattled on, oblivious to the girl's surprised reaction.
 
Ichige noticed, however. “Were you not aware of the provenance of the robes you have been wearing, Kagome-sama?” she asked, with a touch of disapproval.
 
“Er, no… Who is Hatsuyuki-sama?” Kagome asked, fairly sure she was about to sound rather ridiculous.
 
“Sesshomaru-sama's lady mother.” Ichige's golden-brown eyes were sharp. “Our lord does you great honour by permitting you to wear them.”
 
“Oh! Inuyasha didn't say anything…” she faltered, mentally kicking herself for not asking about the rich garments she had been wearing without a thought.
 
“He would not recognize Hatsuyuki-sama's robes, as they were packed away after her death. Izayoi-sama had her own wardrobe that she brought with her to the fortress as part of her tithe; however, several sets of notable formal robes, such as the `Winter Cherry', were created for her once she became Chief Wife.”
 
I see… uh, thank you for that information. Do you know if there is anything already selected, Ume-chan?” Kagome asked, turning towards the young female.
 
Ume bowed before replying, “Not to my knowledge, Kagome-sama.”
 
“It'll be a surprise for all of us, then. I am very grateful to Sesshomaru-sama for loaning me his late mother's finery… oh! I hugged a tenbaryu while wearing it…!”
 
“I dare say the original owner would not care, Kagome-sama; she wore her best robes in the muck of the stables quite regularly,” an elderly female that had been introduced as Shizuka's mother-in-law piped up. “She never minded what anyone said, except for the Inu no Taisho… and he was as bad as she was.”
 
Kagome giggled nervously. “She sounds like more than a match for him!”
 
“He truly adored her; the life-light didn't come back into his eyes until Inuyasha-sama was born to Izayoi-sama,” the old female confirmed, then added, “She was as different from that scandal of a brother of hers as day is to night.” Elegantly coiffed heads nodded in agreement around the room, and Kagome was reminded that her afternoon guest list was for the most part carefully restricted to so-called loyalists.
 
“May I ask how Hatsuyuki-sama died?” she cautiously asked after a fresh round of tea was poured.
 
“From a wasting disease; none of our healers could help her. There was some thought that it may have been the result of a curse, but that was never proven.” The old female folded her hands into her sleeves, her expression thoughtful. The tea party broke up soon after that with many gay comments and plans for retrieving treasured silks from storage chests so that Kagome-sama could see them in all their finery the following night. As the room cleared, Saya rose and silently followed the ladies out, then bowed to her before shutting the doors leading into the corridor.
 
Kagome slumped and blew out her bangs. “Whew! Thought it would never end. Ume-chan… are there any hakama on hand?”
 
The teen gave her a puzzled look. “May I ask what for, Kagome-sama?”
 
Kagome stood up and shook out the sleeves of her borrowed kosodes before slipping out of the garments and handing them to Ume, leaving herself garbed only in the two innermost layers secured by a colourful sash. “I intend on doing a few kata, and I'd like full freedom of movement if at all possible.”
 
“Very well…” As the teen began the dual processes of neatly folding the precious silks and searching through a chest for the requested hakama, Kagome fetched her sword from the weapons stand and moved to the middle of the room to begin an easy warm-up. She'd barely raised the sheathed blade over her head at arms length to make sure the delicately-carven roof beams were out of range when Ume barked, “Kagome-sama! Let me remove those combs first!”
 
Kagome chuckled and held still as Ume plucked out the elaborate tortoiseshell combs and then quickly braided her hair before handing her a pair of hakama. Once donned, it was obvious they were meant for someone of taller stature, so Ume knotted the wide leg hems loosely around her ankles. “Thanks, Ume-chan… did those combs belong to Hatsuyuki-sama as well?” Kagome asked, kilting up the skirts of her kosodes into her sash and rolling back the sleeves.
 
Ume bit her lip as she examined the hair ornaments. “I don't think so, Kagome-sama… I am told that Hatsuyuki-sama wore her hair up with jewelled pins, not combs. Perhaps they were Izayoi-sama's?”
 
“Remind me to ask Momiji-san or Inuyasha; I don't want to make a mistake like that again.” Ume nodded and went back to caring for the clothing as Kagome closed her eyes to centre herself.
 
She slowly spun empty-handed through a series of stances, concentrating on stretching and warming her long-unused muscles, searching for any restrictions to her movements due to the scar tissue. Luckily for me the damage was on my left side, not my right… again. Finding none, she repeated the exercises at a swifter pace, exulting in the energy coursing through her veins. Abruptly snapping her sword out of its sheath, she launched into the full kata cycle, whirling and spinning, listening gleefully to the singing of her blade as it sliced the air. Once, twice, three times she went through the entire kata just to make sure she had a full range of motion and was elated to discover no apparent reason why she couldn't thoroughly kick some taiyoukai ass if Sesshomaru was so foolish as to test her again.
 
Completing the final step, she closed her eyes and paused for a moment, the vaporous sword tip resting lightly on the golden-hued mats… and became aware of a draft from the garden wall panel. Glancing in that direction, she grinned at the utterly gob-smacked look on Gitoumaru's face before winking at him. When the friendly gesture did nothing to alter his astonished expression, she followed his line of sight towards the silver flames licking up her legs. “C'mon, Gitoumaru-kun… don't tell me you've never seen a battle aura before?”
 
The cobalt-striped youth closed his mouth and shook his head, never taking his dark eyes from her. “I am indeed familiar with demonic battle auras, Kagome-sama… but you did not manifest power like this when we fought.”
 
Kagome considered him carefully. “I didn't want to hurt you, Gitoumaru-kun, so I didn't utilize my full abilities against you. All I wanted was the return of the Jewel shard.” Just as his face fell at the realization she could have squashed him like a bug, she continued, “How do you think I've survived battling Sesshomaru-sama? If I didn't carry a trace of demonic power, I couldn't use my sword at all.”
 
“However, your demonic power should be burned away by your strong spiritual energy… but instead the two opposing forces co-exist within your body.” Instinctively dropping into a defensive stance, Kagome brought up her sword as a second youki signature accompanied by a deep voice made itself known out in the garden. As Kiriaisai came into view through the open wall panel, the energy rose around her until she was encircled in leaping silver flames and coloured vapours whirled down the blade. The inu-youkai stopped, then took a step back, his gaze riveted on the young woman he had privately dismissed as passably-talented swordswoman despite Totosai's glowing commendation and his lord's grudging respect. I certainly did not expect this; her powers are considerable. She is most definitely the trained warrior Sesshomaru-sama claimed her to be; he was wise to make her an ally.
 
Kagome slowly straightened up, dropping her sword tip but maintaining a level of power that kept the flames dancing and the vapours spinning. “Good afternoon, Kiriaisai-san; were you looking for Gitoumaru-kun, or for me?”
 
“For you, my lady. The armoury keeper will be here anon.”
 
Terrific!” Kagome tossed her blade up against her shoulder, grinning brilliantly. “Silk robes are very nice, but I'm far more comfortable in uniform.”
 
Kiriaisai gave her a look that was respectful but leavened by a touch of mischief. “If you can call that scandalously brief item of clothing you arrived in a uniform…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Inuyasha arrived at the same time as the elderly armourer, who spent several minutes teasing the hanyou about making the switch from fire-rat to body armour while his assistant arranged several bulky packages. Kagome watched the back-and-forth with amusement, but also noticed that Inuyasha's smile didn't quite reach his eyes. He looks so tense… like a coiled spring… luckily he's been training with the guards, or he'd be picking fights all over the fortress. Her hanyou finally seated himself and brushed a light kiss over her cheek; she was grateful that his stand-offish attitude towards intimate contact didn't extend to other expressions of affection.
 
“Well, Kagome-sama, art thou ready to be fitted with this highly fashionable guard's uniform?” the jocular inu-youkai asked. “By any chance, dost thou know the type of material thy damaged cuirass and these gauntlets were created from?”
 
“I'm afraid I don't,” Kagome answered truthfully, eyeing her heretofore missing gauntlets and battered combat boots as he lined them up neatly on the tatami mats. “They were gifts.”
 
The armourer tapped her gauntlets with a soot-blackened claw; Kagome noticed the powerful muscles cording his forearms. The plain kosode and hakama he wore were both startlingly clean against his work-darkened skin and she guessed that he had `cleaned up' especially for this visit away from the heat and dirt of his forge. He fixed her with an inquisitive look. “I have heard that the human Emperor of Japan has copied his Chinese counterpart and created a guard corps formed solely of females… and that thou are one of them.”
 
“I am a Celestial Bodyguard,” she answered cautiously. That's the truth… except I'm the only one my Emperor has in harness! “My equipment was supplied by the Imperial Armouries.”
 
“Including thy sword?” he asked, a touch too eagerly.
 
“Yes.”
 
“Interesting,” he mused, eyeing her speculatively, but Kagome merely smiled sweetly so he desisted from further questioning, especially after Inuyasha voiced a low growl. Glancing quickly at the hanyou, the armourer whipped out a length of linen cord equipped with interval markings and asked her to stand up. He rapidly measured her height, hips, waist and bust over her garments and then began to rummage in the open packages. Twenty minutes later, she was clad in a pair of black fire-rat hakama as well as a dark grey dragon-hide tunic and was being fitted with a pair of boots identical to the ones Inuyasha was currently wearing.
 
“My combat boots are still serviceable… aren't they?” Kagome asked, wriggling her toes inside the armoured leather and testing the feel of the soles.
 
The armourer dangled one of the distinctly worse-for-wear pieces of footwear from the tips of his claws. “If thou insist…”
 
“Well… I'll hang onto them for when we leave here.” She smiled at him, and then let out a happy yelp when he produced a familiar red-and-gold length of silk from one of his bags and tossed it to her. “Thanks! I was afraid that I'd never see this again!” she exclaimed as she wrapped the sash around her waist.
 
“It's just ordinary silk….” He sounded disappointed.
 
Kagome couldn't help grinning. “Not everything about me is unusual!” The armoury keeper chortled as his assistant re-packed all the bags; she returned his exiting bow and then turned her attention to Inuyasha, who appeared intensely interested in the tatami mats. Kneeling beside him, she rested her chin on his shoulder while sliding one hand up under his hair. “What's bothering you, koibito?” she softly asked, rubbing the nape of his neck. “Besides the obvious, of course… like having to be nice to your brother on a regular basis.”
 
Inuyasha heaved a great sigh before capturing her other hand and stroking the pad of his thumb over her knuckles. “I don't know how much more of this waiting around to be attacked I can take.”
 
She leaned in and kissed his cheek. “I'm fairly sure that Sesshomaru plans to push the envelope with this feast…”
 
“Keh. I'd do much better knowing the fucking plan rather than just guessing at it!” He paused, then looked closely at his bright-eyed, healthy, alive Kagome, and smiled crookedly. “You've been promoted.” His claw traced the symbol of rank embossed into the high collar of the tunic. “You're now a captain of the guards.”
 
“Crap. Guess I'll have to really mind my salutes and regulations then,” Kagome joked, but the answering smile again didn't reach his eyes.
 
“If Hakimaru doesn't make his move within the next three days, your promise to Sesshomaru be damned… we're out of here.” Kagome began to protest, but he silenced her with a finger across her lips. “We have to get back to our pack, and we should be hunting Naraku, not hanging around here!”
 
“But, Inuyasha… don't you want revenge for what he did to your mother?” she cautiously asked, worried at the way his cheek stripes were darkening.
 
He briefly closed his eyes. “I'm more concerned about what he might do to you,” he whispered, his ears flattening into his hair and his grip on her fingers tightening.
 
“I'm not exactly helpless, Inuyasha; you know I can fight back…” He moved restlessly, refusing to look at her, so she moved her hand up over the top of his head and gently rubbed his ear. She was very startled when he snapped the furry appendage out of her fingertips and twisted his head to put it out of range. At that moment, there was a tap on the shoji and Gitoumaru entered.
 
Bowing deeply to the couple, he intoned, “Kagome-sama is invited to attend a cadet training session tomorrow morning in the main dojo.”
 
She quickly pulled her hand away from Inuyasha and stood up, inclining her head to the youth. “I am honoured by the request.”
 
“I shall inform my father that you have accepted his invitation,” Gitoumaru gravely answered, and bowed out of the room. Kagome took a couple of steps away from Inuyasha and turned to face him squarely before seating herself again. His golden eyes were rimmed with scarlet, and his aura flaring.
 
“If you want to play by the asshole's rules, you go right ahead,” he ground out.
 
Bewildered, Kagome stared at him, more than a little stung by the apparent insinuation that she was somehow siding with Sesshomaru against him… and then anger sparked. “Fine. If you want to take that attitude and leave the fortress, go right ahead; I won't stop you… but I won't break my word to your brother.”
 
That did it. Inuyasha's aura boiled up around him as he dug his lengthening claws into the tatami mats. “What…?”
 
She folded her arms across her chest and narrowed her eyes. “You heard me. It's screamingly obvious that you loathe this place, so go back to Edo and start the hunt for Naraku. I'll catch up once Hakimaru is dealt with.”
 
“You're not serious,” he snarled.
 
“I made a promise, Inuyasha… but it doesn't bind you. In fact, it might be best that you leave, because I'm sure that would encourage Hakimaru to act sooner rather than later.”
 
He leaned forward, his reddened gaze intent. “Are you defying me, bitch?”
 
Kagome looked him right in the eye, and firmly stated, “If you choose to look at it that way… yes.” His answering growl shook the rafters, but she relentlessly continued, “I'm staying here, with or without your approval.” His body tensed, his lips curling back over his elongating fangs and Kagome wondered how far he would go to make her submit… but instead of tackling her, he backed away and then disappeared out the garden exit.
 
Shivering slightly, Kagome ran to the open panel, watching unhappily as a silver and red blur disappeared over the distant roof of another pavilion. Is he burning off some aggression, or is he...? Damn, damned, damnable did I push him too far? She lightly banged her head against the frame. I'm sorry, Inuyasha, but I can't leave Rin; not when I might be the reason why she survived to grow up and marry Sesshomaru. Rubbing her arms, she glanced down at her new uniform. I guess I look like I've changed my allegiance… and I suppose I was a little defiant… but still…
 
The shoji slid open, and Ume entered carrying two stacked dinner trays. Glancing around in surprise, she asked, “Where is Inuyasha-sama?”
 
Kagome firmly shut the wall panel and kicked the locking bolt into place. “He's… stepped out for a while.”
 
“Oh! Was that his youki I just felt? I thought it was Sesshomaru-sama's!” Ume exclaimed, setting down the trays. “Will he return to dine?”
 
“I'm not sure,” she answered, her heart twisting.
 
“He can always pick up something at the kitchens later,” the teen reassured before sliding the tray in front of her. It all smelled wonderful, but Kagome discovered she'd lost her appetite.
 
Much later, after several desultory games of `Go' with Ume that saw her beaten badly because her attention was elsewhere, Kagome lay under the small barrier she had erected inside the silken canopy. Her sword was tucked under her chin and her Jewel shards inside her yukata; however, her personal security was the last thing on her mind.
 
Would he really just take off without saying goodbye?
No worries, Nixie… you're not alone.
He is under a great deal of stress, but he would never leave you undefended.
I dunno… I told him to go…
His absence may encourage Hakimaru to act more quickly.
I'm not afraid to fight alongside Sesshomaru, but I really hoped that facing a common threat now would act as a catalyst later against Naraku.
He'll come back, Kagome; he'll always return to your side.
Riko's right; he's probably out adding to the fortress' firewood supply or something.
I hope so…
Try to get some sleep. We'll stand watch.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The next morning, there was no sign of Inuyasha; Kagome avoided the questioning looks and forced herself to eat the miso soup, rice and grilled fish before Ume assisted her into the new uniform and sleeked her hair into a topknot. Sliding her sword into place at her hip, she momentarily debated on where to carry her shards before asking Ume for a length of embroidery silk from the needlework project she knew the teen carried in her sleeve at all times. Using the colourful thread, she tied the bag around her neck so that it hung just below her linen-bound breasts, then tucked it inside her under-kosode.
 
Kagome had barely stepped into her new boots out in the corridor when Kiriaisai appeared on the veranda, Gitoumaru at his shoulder followed by Tsu and Kohire. “Where is Inuyasha-sama?” the cobalt-marked inu-youkai asked, peering over her shoulder into the inner room as if he thought the hanyou was hiding in one of the corners.
 
“I'm not sure,” she answered shortly. “He left the fortress yesterday afternoon.”
 
Several pairs of cat's-slit eyes stared blankly at her. “He left you undefended?” Kiriaisai asked, plainly horrified.
 
“I can take care of myself,” she tartly replied, stalking past the tall sentouken and the gaping guardsmen into the dawn-lit garden.
 
“When will he return?” Kiriaisai risked asking as he caught up. Gitoumaru jogged behind them, leading Fuchi and Saya. Tsu and Kohire had remained behind to guard the pavilion and hopefully await Inuyasha's return.
 
“No idea. He may not come back at all.” Kagome's ears burned and the collar of her tunic felt uncomfortably tight.
 
What?
 
“Don't sweat it, Kiriaisai-san,” she muttered flippantly. “Without Inuyasha around, maybe someone will be encouraged. Now, which way are we headed?” They had come to an intersection in the pavilion network; Kiriaisai just blinked at her for a moment before indicating the right-hand walkway. They strode along in silence, the fortress coming to life around them as the inhabitants readied themselves not only for another day, but a day marked by a feast. Dodging servants and guardsmen coming off duty, as well as various and sundry other bustling denizens, they made their way towards the far side of the maze of buildings. “Does Sesshomaru-sama have any orders for me?” Kagome asked bluntly as they crossed an empty courtyard.
 
Kiriaisai slowed his pace. “He has asked that you demonstrate your Imperial kata to the cadets.” The tall youkai hesitated briefly before adding in a puzzled tone, “However, he does not wish you to give away your full potential.”
 
A small light bulb went off in her brain, and Kagome nodded. “Understood. An element of secrecy is desirable.”
 
“My lord has a very high opinion of your abilities…” Kiriaisai couldn't keep a trace of scepticism from his tone; Kagome grinned.
 
“You've already commented on the basic paradox of my spiritual and demonic energies; I believe that I may surprise you as much as our enemy, Kiriaisai-san!” They fell silent as they reached what appeared to be a secondary tower, and Gitoumaru stepped past them to open the door. Kiriaisai ushered Kagome into the most enormous dojo she'd ever seen… and she instantly understood the absence of footwear stashed outside. This dojo had a stone floor, not wooden, and the ceiling was at least sixty feet high. Light came in through clerestory windows set high up near the wooden-beamed ceiling, where plaster and wood took over from the stone blocks that formed the greater proportion of the walls. “Wow… why is this dojo so big?” she asked, once she was able to re-hinge her jaw and bow respectfully towards the niche on the far side.
 
“We occasionally train in our transformed state, Kagome-sama, so we require the extra room,” Fuchi supplied.
 
She turned to face him. “Sesshomaru-sama would barely fit in here; two inu-youkai that size, and they wouldn't be able to do much other than growl at each other!” The dark-haired guardsman smirked rather toothily at her, stepped away from the wall where he'd parked himself alongside Saya, and turned into a large black dog that was almost double Kagome's height… but barely a quarter of Sesshomaru's transformed size. A long pink tongue lolled out and fuzzy ears flickered as Fuchi crouched, his tail waving gently… and then he was humanoid again. Kagome stepped up to him, laid her hand on his leather-covered chest and asked, “Where does your clothing go when you do that?”
 
He chuckled and tweaked her topknot. “Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies…”
 
“That's my line, smart-ass.” Giving the tail of his own dark topknot a friendly tug, she turned to watch as a line of pink-cheeked cadets began filing into the dojo, obviously fresh from a warm-up outside. Gitoumaru executed a formal bow and went to join his classmates; Kagome noticed that their suikan and hakama were the same deep-indigo colour and style as her long-ago Academy uniform.
 
“Kagome-sama… how do you know what our lord looks like in his transformed state?” Kiriaisai asked, eyeing her speculatively.
 
Thinking fast, she quietly replied, “I was present when Sesshomaru-sama lost his arm to the Tetsusaiga; he was in canine form at the time.” That information caused Kiriaisai's eyebrows to vanish under his dark bangs, but he said nothing more as he moved towards the front of the room. Kagome had to wonder exactly how Sesshomaru had explained the amputation to his associates… and hoped she wasn't now in deep trouble for contradicting him.
 
“We are honoured this morning by a guest observer. Kagome-sama is a Celestial Bodyguard at the Imperial Court of the Emperor of Japan… and Inuyasha-sama's lady wife.” A room full of eyes slid her way, but not a head turned. Kiriaisai paused for effect, and then commanded, “Commence the kata.” A couple of dozen polished wooden bokkens were flourished, and then the group began the intricate dance that Kagome knew so very well.
 
She bit her lip as she watched the group go through the familiar motions, some with far more grace and precision than others, and realized that she was about to set off the equivalent of a stun grenade when she demonstrated Sessaki's Imperial version. Sesshomaru is really trying to up the ante here; I hope he's prepared Kiriaisai for the fact that I'm about to do the identical kata… A wildly-wobbling female on the near side caught her eye. “Saya-kun… there seems to be a wide range of ability levels here…”
 
“Yes. All four cohorts are represented in this group. They do their warm-ups together and then break apart for year-specific instruction,” the red-haired guardsman replied.
 
When Sessaki set up the Imperial Military Academy, it would make sense that he'd base it on a working model… right down to the uniforms. Kagome winced as one of the younger males accidentally cracked his fellow cadet a rather sharp blow on the leg when he tripped on the final lunge step.
 
“Kagome-sama… would you please demonstrate the Imperial kata for us?” Kiriaisai boomed from the other side of the room, and the hapless cadets appeared only too happy for the break as they bowed and seated themselves. Kagome squared her shoulders and quick-marched to the front, where she stood at attention for a moment, scanning the flushed faces with their varied facial markings and eye colours… and noting which ones glared with hostility while others were bright with curiosity. Here goes nothing
 
She moved slowly through the cycle with empty hands, concentrating on cleanly executing the moves and keeping her power to a minimum, ignoring the startled gasps as some of the observers recognized the progression she was following. Round two… Releasing her sword from its sheath, she swept again into the step-lunge-parry-slash, allowing a small amount of energy to crackle around her form and her blade to shimmer, but that was all. It's harder than it looks, to keep everything together and not let Fenik completely out to play!
 
This is cramping my style, Nixie.
Mine, too.
Ready to face the music?
Not really, but I suppose we have no choice…
 
“Kagome-sama… who taught you that kata?” Kiriaisai sharply demanded, at almost the moment she executed the final step and lowered her sword.
 
“My commanding officer,” she answered as she sheathed her blade, watching the cadets' eyes pop as flickers of silver raced over the black fur of her hakama.
 
Kiriaisai visibly collected himself before barking, “One more time! The complete kata… Kagome-sama, would you be so kind as to assist me in correcting their form?” She bowed and moved among the forward rows, smiling kindly at the nervous youngsters, showing one how to smoothly transition from a lunge to a parry, another how to properly block. As she talked quietly and adjusted a wrist here, or a foot stance there, the cadets relaxed by degrees… although she noticed that Kiriaisai kept her well away from a small group of older teens who were sending poisonous glares her way.
 
“Select partners and spar using the kata!” At Kiriaisai's bellow, all the youngsters paired off and went at each other… except for one young female. Smiling and crooking her finger at the fair-haired inu-youkai, Kagome led her to the side of the energetic gaggle.
 
“Would you spar with me? I don't have a partner, either,” she invited, and the adolescent bowed, squared up and sank into a stance. Kagome pulled her sheathed weapon out of her sash and commenced the exercise. To her great joy, her battle-sight clicked on without any problem and allowed her to easily evade the girl's attacks, which were surprisingly fast for one so young. However, her opponent soon became sloppy, and she called a halt to demonstrate the correct offensive moves.
 
The entire group was split up after that, each year retiring into a different corner. Kiriaisai came up to her, his dark blue eyes glinting. “You show promise as an instructor, Kagome-sama; will you join us again tomorrow?”
 
“It would be an honour, Kiriaisai-san. Thank you.” She bowed formally and took her leave, shadowed by Fuchi and Saya. They made it half-way across the courtyard before the red-head could no longer contain himself.
 
“A human taught you that kata?” he spluttered.
 
“My commander,” she reiterated. “He is highly skilled.”
 
“But… that kata was invented by the Inu no Taisho! How could a human know of it?” Saya demanded hotly.
 
“I'll ask him next time I give a situation report.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“This seems like so much work, Kagome-sama!” Rin groused from her spot on the tatami mats a couple of hours later. The little girl lay on her stomach, her chin propped on her small hands and her tabi-clad feet kicking the air. “How much longer is it going to take?”
 
“My bottom is going to sleep,” Kagome confided, and Rin giggled merrily. “Pity poor Ume-chan, who has to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse!”
 
“You're already pretty, Kagome-sama, so I don't know why it's taking Ume-san so long!” Rin stuck out her bottom lip before popping in another sweet dumpling. The afternoon tea party had been cancelled in favour of primping, so Rin had been included to keep her out of Momiji's way as the preparations for the feast wound up to a fever pitch. As a result, Kagome had both Ume and Anzu working on her; the teens seemed determined to make her into a reasonable facsimile of a noblewoman for the evening. Kagome couldn't help but remember Suzume's quiet, deft touch at the wedding, and wished for his familiar presence.
 
The two girls had just finished an elaborately braided coiffure when Momiji arrived with another servant in tow, looking uncharacteristically flustered. Kagome just caught the last part of the tirade she was muttering heatedly under her breath and had to repress a smile. “Change the menu at the last minute, hmmm? Just wait until I get my claws into that fat raccoon-dog… oh! Very nice, ladies. Yes… she will do.” Ume and Anzu withdrew to the side, pink with praise as well as the contents of their dainty cups, which had contained a potent plum wine instead of jasmine tea. Anzu had brought a small flask `compliments of her uncle' hidden in her sleeve this afternoon; while Kagome had warily sipped, the girls had merrily slurped.
 
Luckily for them, Momiji was far too preoccupied with Toku's dastardly menu-meddling to notice their too-bright eyes and giddy smiles. Still grumbling, she directed the servant to deposit a stack of cedar wood boxes next to the low table; bowing, the woman then made her escape. Momiji separated the boxes into two piles and then looked around. “Where is Inuyasha-sama? Is he still in the bath house?”
 
Kagome found her sleeve hem highly interesting. “He left yesterday afternoon…” There was a very long and very uncomfortable pause while she bit her lip and tried to ignore the prickling at the corner of her eyes as she was forced to confront what she had successfully avoided thinking about all day.
 
WHAT?” Momiji thundered, all of her formidable attention now centred on the human woman seated in front of her. When Kagome did not offer any other information, the dark-haired inu-youkai pinched the bridge of her nose and groaned loudly. “Where did he go?”
 
“I assume back to Edo, but I'm not sure,” Kagome murmured. “The strain of waiting around for Hakimaru-sama to attack got to him…”
 
“He left you behind?” The tone was flat and disbelieving. Kagome stayed silent; Rin crept over and burrowed into her lap. Momiji exhaled through her teeth and then spoke, her voice crisp. “Well… that is certainly unexpected, but we will work around his absence.” She slid one stack of boxes out of the way and began opening the rest, revealing silk kosodes in every hue and shade of pink, from palest blossom to deepest red. “This is the `Winter Cherry' ensemble, made for Izayoi-sama to celebrate the birth of Inuyasha-sama. Sesshomaru-sama has specifically requested that you wear these robes tonight.”
 
Kagome cast a glance over the garments. “They are very beautiful, Momiji-san, and it is an honour to wear them,” she said automatically, but the realization that she was about to face this situation without Inuyasha twisted her stomach into knots.
 
“Stand up then… Rin-chan, cease that blubbering. It won't bring Inuyasha-sama back.” Momiji shook out a fine linen under-robe and eyed it critically while Kagome hugged Rin and wiped the little girl's tear-stained face with her sleeve.
 
“Why don't you help Ume-chan carry these pretty robes behind the screen so I can get dressed?” The little girl nodded, sniffling loudly, her dark eyes wet; Kagome smiled bravely and kissed her cheek. “Thank you, aiji.”
 
While Momiji handed out the elegant kosodes one at a time, Ume laboured to make sure the multiple layers were displayed to advantage. Momiji herself arranged the final garment, a magnificent rich cherry-red kosode heavily embroidered with a pattern of black branches and silver sakura blossoms. “Rin-chan… bring me that square box, please,” Momiji directed, and the little girl carefully handed her a flat, finely-carved container that looked considerably newer than the last time Kagome had seen it.
 
Inside was the elaborate coral, mother-of-pearl and silver trimmed comb that she had already worn once at Yukihime and Shikoro's wedding five hundred years in the future… but was now supposed to be seeing for the very first time. She hoped she conveyed the right amount of surprise for her audience. “It's beautiful, Momiji-san… did this belong to Izayoi-sama as well?”
 
“Yes. It was her wedding gift from the Inu no Taisho, but before that, it belonged to his honoured mother.” Momiji carefully placed the comb so that the silver pendants spilled down the side of Kagome's head and tinkled musically above her ear. She then stepped back to admire the effect and nodded. “Lovely. Anzu-san, take Rin-chan back to her own quarters and while you are there, please inform Sesshomaru-sama that he will be escorting Kagome-sama…”
 
“Like fucking hell he will.” At the rough snarl, all present nearly gave themselves whiplash reacting to both the voice and the elevated youki emanating from the doorway.
 
Inuyasha-sama!” Rin wailed as she flung herself at the hanyou, who scooped her up and allowed her to beat her tiny fists on his chest while she sobbed into his fire-rat. “Why did you leave? Where did you go? We were so worried!
 
“I'm sorry, pup,” he quietly rumbled, hugging her close. “I didn't mean to upset you.” He raised his silver head and gave Kagome a direct look with scarlet-rimmed eyes; she averted her face and clenched her fists inside her sleeves, an odd mixture of relief at his return and anger that he had left in the first place whirling in her heart. “I heard there's a feast happening tonight…”
 
“Are you sure you wish to attend, Inuyasha-sama?” Momiji drawled, with a distinct edge to her voice. “Sesshomaru-sama is perfectly capable of providing a proper escort for Kagome-sama in your place.”
 
The hanyou visibly bristled, glaring at her over Rin's head before turning the girl loose from his arms. “Like I'd trust him with anything I valued…”
 
“Yet you left him with the responsibility for her safety,” she growled. “You still seem to be in a temper; do you intend on keeping the peace tonight, or must I leash you?”
 
She's already collared me, so don't even try. I'm going to get cleaned up… don't you even think of taking off with that asshole, bitch.” With a final squeeze to Rin's shoulder, he disappeared again, dragging Tsu along with him after the hapless guardsman was quickly loaded down with the other stack of cedar-wood boxes.
 
“Well… back to our foul-mouthed, uncouth self, I see,” grumbled Momiji, who finally noticed the tension radiating from Kagome. “Rin-chan, it's time to go with Anzu-san… no pouting, young lady. Be off with you.”
 
Instead of immediately obeying, Rin scampered over the mats to stand beside Kagome. Reaching up to touch the jewels gleaming against the woman's dark hair, she whispered, “You look like a princess, Kagome-sama.”
 
“Thank you, Rin-chan,” she murmured back and tried to smile.
 
The little girl leaned in and whispered in Kagome's ear, “Inuyasha-sama will always come back to you, just like Sesshomaru-sama always returns for me.” Smiling brightly, she stepped back and bowed. “Toku-san made peach mochi cakes this morning; make sure you try one!”
 
“See you tomorrow, Rin-chan.” After bowing to Momiji, the little girl slipped her hand into Anzu's and skipped off, her cheerful voice lifted in a nonsensical tune that sounded suspiciously like she was rhyming `Jaken' and `bokken'.
 
“Kagome-sama… are you all right?” Momiji asked, concerned at the mixed emotions clouding the human's scent.
 
“Not really, but there's nothing to be done for it.” Darkened silver flashed for a moment as Kagome glanced up. “I'm so glad that he came back, but the original disagreement took place because he wants me to break my promise to Sesshomaru-sama and leave. I told him he was free to go, but that I was staying….”
 
“I do not ordinarily recommend defying one's alpha, but in this case, you have my support. However, sometimes to win larger battles, you must submit on minor issues… do not place yourself at odds with him tonight, Kagome-sama.” Momiji reached over and tilted the woman's chin up with a gentle claw. “He overcame his pride to return to you, so let him have his way in other things.”
 
Kagome nodded. “I'll do my best...”
 
“Good. Gitoumaru-kun will be sent for you; do you intend to carry your sword?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Where are the shards?”
 
She grinned and poked herself in the chest. “Padding my bosom…”
 
Momiji chuckled. “From what I've heard of its power, that may the safest use for them!” She neatly stacked the boxes and went to pour a cup of tea; however, the pot was cold. In the process of lifting the lid to check the water level, her sleeve brushed one of the dainty cups and knocked it over, allowing a couple of clear drops to trickle out. The inu-youkai sniffed at the fluid, paused, peered into the still-full pot of tea and then sniffed again before shooting Kagome a querying glance.
 
Kagome coughed lightly while an embarrassed Ume turned deep pink. “It was very nice plum wine…”
 
Momiji huffed irritably. “Honestly, between Anzu-san's uncle and Toku-san, I'll be as silver-haired as Sesshomaru-sama within the next century… which reminds me, I have some business to settle in the kitchens…” With a motherly pat on Kagome's shoulder, Momiji bustled away, her sights firmly set on a certain rotund chief cook.
 
The human and the inu-youkai looked at each other and sighed in relief before Ume began clearing the table. “I'll get a fresh kettle and make more tea for you and Inuyasha-sama,” she said, then smirked cheekily. “Or perhaps I should see if Kohire-kun has any more of his uncle's wine?”
 
“Kohire-kun's…? I thought it was Anzu-san's uncle…?”
 
“The very same. He's famous for his distilling activities… some more palatable than others. I'll see if I can arrange a tray for Inuyasha-sama, as the feast doesn't start for a while, and I imagine he must be hungry.”
 
“Toku-san just might conscript you into helping in the kitchens if you aren't careful!”
 
The teen mock-saluted. “Send out a search party if I don't return within the hour.”
 
After Ume had departed, for want of something to do, Kagome practised rising to her feet, walking and neatly seating herself in the trailing robes. She decided that she preferred Suzume's placement of the jewelled comb, because the tinkling of the metal pendants right above her ear was going to drive her crazy before the end of the night. I wonder if I complained about that to Inuyasha… and centuries later he remembered to tell Suzume? Gah. Not the sort of question I should be thinking about right now. One of her circuits of the room brought her to the weapons rack; she hefted her sword's familiar and comforting weight. What if… there's an incident at the feast? Would Hakimaru attempt a public assassination of both brothers… and me? Chills ran down her spine and back up again. What if… he somehow managed to poison the food…? She thought hard. Sesshomaru's nose would detect something like that, since Sessaki apparently smelled the infection in my arm from Kohaku's weapon.
 
She caught herself twisting Fenik's scabbard between her hands while she paced; forcibly stopping herself and cursing at the metallic chiming next to her ear, she took several deep, calming breaths before carefully removing the hair ornament. Controlling her breathing was a very good thing, because she nearly fainted dead away in the next moment.
 
The shoji whipped open, and Yashita stood in the doorway.
 
Her sheathed sword slipped out of her nerveless fingers, deeply dinting the tatami mats as it thudded to the floor, but she had the presence of mind to hold onto the precious comb as she stared open-mouthed at her hanyou. He wore a deep berry-blue silk kosode, the exact same colour as his cheek stripes, embroidered with circular formal crests in silver thread. The tails of a dark cherry-red obi fluttered against immaculate white hakama, and his silver hair flowed loose over his shoulders, handsomely framing his regal appearance.
 
Keen scarlet-rimmed amber eyes took in Kagome's stunned expression. “Why do you look like you've seen a ghost?” he asked, stalking fluidly towards her while Tsu deposited the empty garment boxes and the neatly-folded fire-rat inside the door before beating a hasty exit.
 
Kagome could only gaze up at him, utterly speechless. Not a ghost exactly… more like a vision of the future. The sight was so briefly overwhelming as her two hanyous blurred into one, she dropped her eyes to focus on the divot at the base of his throat, framed by the pure white linen of his under-kosode. Hesitantly, she reached out to touch the rich blue silk, felt the hard planes of his body under her fingertips, her nerves calming and any residual anger draining away with his solid presence. Moving very slowly, she leaned in to rest her forehead against his chest, the steady thumping of their hearts loud in her ears. “Th-thank you for coming back,” she whispered, breathing his woodsy scent accented by the tang of cedar-oil. He shifted his feet and she pulled back slightly. Unable to meet his eyes, she worried one of the silver pendants on the comb between her fingertips until his larger hand stilled the nervous motion.
 
“What do you have there?” Inuyasha's voice was deep and intimate; his breath ruffled her bangs. Kagome opened her fingers to display the ornament and heard him suck in his breath. “Who gave you this?” he quietly demanded, touching the coral and mother-of-pearl jewels with delicate claw tips.
 
She bit her lip, but bravely replied, “Momiji-san, by way of your brother.”
 
“Why aren't you wearing it?”
 
“The pendants… Momiji-san hung them too close to my ear… the noise was bothering me…” Kagome mumbled, watching his long fingers caress the carven gemstones.
 
“My mother always wore it higher…” His other hand came up to rest on the top of her head. “My father would tease her; she'd tell him to wear it over his ear and see how long he lasted.” Plucking the ornament from her hand, he shook it ever-so-gently, the silver pendants chiming musically. “I remember tracking her by the sound…” With a deliberate motion, Inuyasha slid the comb into place so that the pendants spilled down the back of her head, the noise made tolerable by distance.
 
He dropped his hands to her shoulders and held her in place while he stepped back, admiring the elegant garments. Kagome's eyes seemed unable to go higher than his chin; Inuyasha sighed quietly. “Keh. We're quite a pair, aren't we?” he murmured, rubbing his thumbs along her collarbone through the embroidered silk.
 
“We weren't supposed to go to bed angry any more…” She risked a glance upward and fell into golden-bronze pools just as his youki wrapped itself around her, closely followed by his arms. Kagome let out a small whimper and burrowed into his shoulder, hugging him for all she was worth. “Yash…”
 
A startled noise from the doorway interrupted any further reconciliatory intimacies; Ume was taken aback by the silver and red energies wreathing the entwined couple, but managed to not lose her grip on the tray. Inuyasha cast a baleful glare her way and she quickly bowed, dropping her eyes. “Forgive me, my lord.”
 
“Not your fault, whelp. I left the door open,” the hanyou replied, releasing Kagome and stooping to retrieve her weapon. “You brought a snack for us?”
 
“Yes, but as Kagome-sama predicted, Toku-san has put me to work. I am expected back to help arrange platters…”
 
“Don't keep him waiting, then.”
 
Ume bowed and fled back to the kitchens, where she was instantly mobbed for information by certain dreamy-eyed young ladies, who having decided the elder brother was unattainable, had shifted their mooning to the younger… conveniently ignoring the fact he was already mated. Ume pursed her lips and emphasized the close connection between the couple… to no avail.
 
Within the pavilion, Kagome had pulled back her sleeves and served Inuyasha tea like a proper matron, much to his amusement. “Keh… hanging out with those biddies every afternoon has finally taught you some lady-like manners,” he teased, tapping his claws on the porcelain cup. Kagome followed the restless motion and then glanced at his widened, darkened cheek stripes.
 
“Inuyasha, why hasn't your youki settled down? Usually as soon as I touch you it retracts.”
 
He fanned his fingers and considered the extra-long claws for a moment. “Not sure; I'm geared up for an attack, I guess. Does it bother you?”
 
“You look pretty intimidating… like you're on the verge of transforming.”
 
“Probably because I am.” At her startled gasp, he slowly nodded. Spearing a dumpling on the tip of his claw, he contemplated it for a moment before popping it in his mouth. “Right now, there's a pretty strong sense of threat and my youki is much closer to the surface, just waiting for that asshole to make a move.”
 
She stared into her tea cup for a moment, chewing her lip. “I wondered if Hakimaru might try something at the feast.”
 
“Worth considering, but a public attack isn't his style. He prefers to work in the shadows, like a puppet-master, creating the plots and having others execute them. After the last couple of attempts, even the most thick-headed goons ought to realize that doing his bidding is a death sentence.” Inuyasha contemplated something in the middle distance for a few moments until continuing, “Keh. I don't think I've hated anyone as much as Hakimaru… until Naraku shoved himself into my life.” He downed the steaming tea and set the cup aside before closing the distance between them. A gentle hand came up to cup her cheek, to run the pad of his thumb across her lips. “You look so beautiful, koishii… you'll put all those youkai bitches to shame.”
 
Kagome reached out to caress the heavy, gleaming fabric of his kimono. “My handsome prince,” she murmured, first tracing the silver embroidery marking his shoulder, then lightly stroking his cheek stripes before meeting his intense gaze. She was in his embrace, being kissed breathless, his hand snaking under the layered skirts up the back of her thigh to cup her naked behind.
 
He laughed when she yelped and slapped his chest in response to his wandering hand. With a mischievous pinch quickly followed by a soothing pat on the stinging flesh, he grinned shamelessly. “Oi… I kinda like this traditional style you've been wearing!”
 
Scowling ferociously, she growled, “Only you would wait until I'm dressed like an empress before taking advantage of it…”
 
“Peeling you out of all these layers might be fun,” he said archly, watching her with hooded eyes as he carefully curved his hand around her thigh. Moving very slowly, concentrating on the feel of her warm, silky skin, he pressed the heel of his palm against her sex and splayed his fingers over her belly, the tips of his claws lightly prickling. Kagome inhaled sharply and pressed upward against his touch, almost painfully aware of how long it had been since they last made love. Her spiking arousal made his pupils dilate and he inhaled deeply, his own body responding hard to her alluring scent. Not right now… but later… Slowly withdrawing his hand, delicately trailing his claw tips down her inner thigh, he straightened her kimono but didn't release her from his embrace, instead kissing her deeply until she was moaning softly into his mouth.
 
They both growled when someone tapped lightly on the door. “Give us a minute!” Inuyasha commanded and kissed her again before standing them both up. Kagome was prettily flushed, her darkened eyes sparkling with desire. He helpfully smoothed her somewhat rumpled robes, running his hands down over her body, aware of her hardened nipples through the thin layers of silk. Her elaborate hair style attracted his attention; frowning slightly, he contemplated the three long braids tied together at their ends with a silver ribbon. Working quickly, he pulled off the ribbon and loosened the woven strands until her hair flowed freely, the jewelled comb continuing to hold back the sides. “That's better,” he murmured, while Kagome bit her tongue in memory of Momiji's advice to let him have his way. Handing her the sword, he slipped his arm around her shoulders and looked towards the door. “Enter.”
 
The shoji rattled open, revealing Gitoumaru resplendent in bronze silk and cobalt lacquer, as well as Kohire in full dress uniform. The two inu-youkai looked slightly disconcerted, undoubtedly at the interesting scents swirling around the room, but recovered quickly. “Good evening, my lord and lady,” Gitoumaru saluted politely. “We have the honour of being your escorts this evening.”
 
“Thank you!” Kagome smiled, hoping to put the two at ease despite Inuyasha's forbidding glower at their intrusion. “Gitoumaru-kun, would you please carry my sword for me?”
 
The teen actually took a step back. “I am of the opinion that only certain people should handle that blade, and I am not one of them, Kagome-sama.”
 
Fenik… what exactly did you do while I was unconscious?
I don't like strangers feeling me up.
Gitoumaru isn't a stranger, and he's hardly going to be… `feeling you up'… so do you mind?
 
“It's all right, Gitoumaru-kun. Fenik won't be difficult, because I'll purify him if he bites you.” Kagome extended the sword hilt-first to the nervous teen, who very reluctantly reached for it. He hunched his shoulders and flinched, half-expecting a defensive jolt, but nothing happened… until a tiny shower of sparks shot out of the scabbard. Gitoumaru briefly fumbled, but when the sword remained silent, he uneasily propped it against his shoulder.
 
Kagome smiled broadly and patted his arm. “See? He behaves himself… sometimes. You'll have to tell me later what sort of display he put on.”
 
“Oi, Kohire… before we come back tonight, I want you to find me some arrows.”
 
The guardsman blinked. “Arrows… my lord?”
 
“Yeah. About half a dozen.” Inuyasha offered no explanation, just made sure that Tetsusaiga was seated comfortably on his hip. “Let's go, Kagome-sama.”
 
She slipped her hand into his as they stepped through the doors and into their footwear. Keeping her voice down, she whispered, “Now you'll have all the guardsmen thinking that we do kinky stuff with those arrows…”
 
He dipped his head beside her ear. “Except I won't be the one being pinned,” he muttered, his deeper and rougher voice sending little thrills down her spine.
 
The trip across the fortress to the dining pavilion seemed to take forever, as they encountered other festively-attired couples, which necessitated an exchange of polite bows and greetings as they progressed. Inuyasha's grip on her hand was tight to the point of discomfort by the time Kohire ushered them into an antechamber where Sesshomaru and Jaken waited. The taiyoukai gave them both thorough once-overs before nodding in approval, his yellow eyes glittering in anticipation. “The fortress is buzzing with your display at the dojo this morning; there has been a great deal of traffic in and out of Hakimaru's rooms ever since. He will undoubtedly make his move very soon.”
 
“Tonight?” Kagome asked, her mouth suddenly dry, and noting that Sesshomaru carried only Tenseiga.
 
“I doubt it. He has not yet laid eyes on you, miko, and has only heard of your power second-hand; tonight he will assess you from a safe distance.”
 
“The fucker has an energy whip; what's to stop him from using it on us?” Inuyasha snarled, jamming his hands into his silken sleeves. Jaken made a disgusted noise at the hanyou's profanity; the taiyoukai waved it off.
 
Sesshomaru shook his head. “The odds are very low that he will attempt anything in public; that is simply not his style. Besides, your mate has the ability to deflect that particular attack with her barrier.”
 
“C-could he have poisoned the food?” Kagome asked, voicing her earlier fear.
 
“Highly unlikely, as that would put his own supporters at risk.”
 
The hanyou snorted. “Keh. Concern for others ain't his strong suit.”
 
“True. However, he prefers to weave elaborate plots rather than engage in rapid action, and he cannot possibly hope to incorporate your miko in his plans as of yet.”
 
“Would it kill you to call Kagome by her name?” Inuyasha wondered.
 
Sesshomaru merely shot him a cool look before addressing the woman in question. “Tonight you will take the place of the ranking female, so you will be seated on my right. Inuyasha will sit to your right; this is not customary, but I am more interested in security than tradition.”
 
She nodded, shook out the extravagant sleeves and squared her shoulders. Looking Sesshomaru straight in the eye, she said, “I'm ready, sir.” He inclined his head slightly, but said nothing.
 
The door opened and Kiriaisai appeared. He was also dressed in his family colours, but his formal rig was the inverse of his son's; a bronze-coloured breastplate covered robes of intense cobalt blue. “All is in readiness, my lords and lady.”
 
Inuyasha gave Kagome a very crooked grin. “Showtime…” Jaken led the way out of the room; Kiriaisai waited until they were lined up neatly like ducklings before nodding to the two guards who quickly opened the wooden panels… and as they stepped through, the murmur of conversation instantly died away. Kagome kept her eyes front and her back very straight as she followed Sesshomaru up onto a low dais, conscious of Inuyasha's grumbling growl. Stopping behind thick cushions, they all turned outwards, and Kagome was suddenly highly aware of being the focus of dozens of very keen cat's-slit eyes. Behind the raised platform, Kiriaisai, Gitoumaru and Kohire took up protective positions at their backs.
 
Sesshomaru seated himself before the weight of all that attention weakened her knees, and she immediately followed suit… then had to hold back a nervous giggle. Just like the dinner last winter, I'm the rabbit between two dogs… except this time, there's no friendly kitsunes or wolves to set me at ease… Tenseiga arrived on the mat between their cushions; Inuyasha seemed inclined to prop Tetsusaiga against his shoulder instead, but finally laid the sword aside. Kagome eyed Tenseiga's neatly-wrapped hilt for a moment, tempted to see if the sword would `talk' to her like Tetsusaiga did, but then decided to leave well enough alone.
 
Glancing over the crowded hall, she picked out the faces of ladies who had come to call over the past week, and politely nodded to them. All returned her acknowledgement, especially Gitoumaru's mother, who actually rose to her feet and bowed. Kagome noted that the woman's bronze-and-peach-embroidered cobalt kimono was very beautiful… and somehow familiar… but then grinned into her sleeve when Shizuka's elderly mother-in-law tugged sharply on her skirts and forced her to be seated. Behind her, she was willing to bet that Gitoumaru's cheeks were scarlet at his mother's enthusiasm. I wonder if she's mellowed at all; must remember to ask my mom next time I see her. A chill rippled through her. If Gitoumaru has become Sessaki's sentouken… then his father must be dead. Damn. Wait… mom has had lunch with Shizuka-sama on the other side of the well, so his dad must be still alive…? I wonder if it is possible to be mated without the soul bond?
 
Individual footed trays holding covered containers of rice and noodles plus tiny bowls of various sauces and condiments were set down before them, quickly followed by several beautifully-arranged platters of vegetables, grilled meats and fish. Ume winked at her as she neatly poured a small cupful of sake before withdrawing. Kagome took several calming breaths to settle her nerves, and waited for Sesshomaru to begin.
 
He raised his sake cup on the tips of his long claws and intoned a toast to the Western Lands; Kagome murmured a `banzai' along with everyone else and tried to swallow the potent liquor as daintily as possible. It burned a path down her throat, but she managed not to cough. As soon as Sesshomaru picked up his chopsticks, she followed suit and concentrated on eating her meal, hyper-aware of the fine silks in danger of being spattered by a moment of carelessness.
 
Relax, Kagome.
I'm trying, Midoriko!
You've done this plenty of times before as Celestial Bodyguard.
True… but you're not the one being examined and gossiped about by a roomful of very interested bitches!
At least they're not sniffing your bottom…Fenik is complaining that Gitoumaru is squeezing his shaft too tightly.
 
Sesshomaru and Inuyasha both looked her way when she choked; the hanyou immediately handed her his tea cup. She downed a gulp and thanked him with a watery-eyed smile.
 
I am not touching that comment with a ten-foot halberd!
Feeling better now?
Yeah… thanks.
 
Sesshomaru wasn't one for small talk at meals; he handled his chopsticks with grace and dexterity. Kagome peeked at the contents of his bowl and realized that he was eating far stickier rice than she or Inuyasha. That's how he manages… clever solution to keeping his food off his clothing. On her other side, Inuyasha had hardly touched his meal. Not again… just like the night of the New Moon… She leaned over and whispered, “It's really good, koibito. Toku-san has outdone himself.”
 
“I hate being on display,” he growled, but he softened that with a quick smile for her alone and allowed her to feed him a bite of the fish. Kagome smiled back and selected a succulent chunk of meat to add to his rice bowl. He sighed and began to eat; she made a point of passing over tidbits, fully aware of the public statement of intimacy she was making in memory of the New Moon Festival when Yashita had declared his connection to her in the same way. Inuyasha seemed to clue in, because after a time he offered her a morsel. “Give this a try, koishii. What do you think of the sauce?”
 
She chewed and savoured. “It's delicious.”
 
“Are you enjoying the meals you've had here?” Sesshomaru asked, startling her with not only the abruptness of the question but also his apparent interest in her answer.
 
“Very much so. The spicing is so subtle and very enjoyable.”
 
His yellow eyes glinted. “That dish happens to be the one Toku added to the menu without Momiji's permission.”
 
While Inuyasha snickered, Kagome chuckled quietly. “I don't think I'll mention this to her…”
 
Ume arrived to whisk away the emptied platters and replace them with one carrying an artistic array of sweets, including the peach-shaped and filled mochi Rin had mentioned. Tea was poured and Kagome sat back with the delicate porcelain cup in her hands to again survey the guests, who were for the most part eating, drinking and making merry… some obviously having imbibed considerably more sake than others. “Which one is Hakimaru?” she asked quietly.
 
“To your far right,” Sesshomaru murmured. “He is seated alone.” She casually let her gaze wander in the direction indicated and was instantly pinned by predatory chrome-yellow eyes. A crescent moon… Kagome blinked and examined him while he just as intently studied her, a dark and thoroughly unpleasant smile curving his thin lips. This guy's aura is nearly as dark as Naraku's! A low growl rumbled through the air beside her as Inuyasha became aware of Hakimaru's interest, so she broke off the unnerving eye contact by looking at her hanyou instead.
 
“It's all right, Inuyasha…” she whispered, reaching out to touch his shoulder. The hanyou ignored her and she was shocked to see the scarlet vapours of his aura begin to rise. “Inuyasha…?” she asked, tugging on his trailing sleeve. After a moment, he shook himself and leaned into her touch, but the threatening aura did not completely dissipate. Kagome put down her tea cup and slid her hand under his hair, rubbing soothing circles on his back through the heavy silk. He refused to completely relax, but his ears spent more time in their upright position than flattened menacingly.
 
Musicians and dancers arrived; Kagome puzzled over the low-pitched music until she realized that sensitive inu-youkai ears would be irritated by the decibel levels reached by human musicians and instruments. The dancers were gracefully fluid and very attractive, but she couldn't really enjoy the performance. Now that she knew where he was sitting, Kagome was uncomfortably aware of Hakimaru's intense attention. She tried to appear nonchalant and absorbed in the entertainment, but she felt distinctly hunted.
 
The hanyou was aware of Kagome's discomfort as well as its source, and his tolerance was far lower. He had done his best to remain aloof and unprovoked, but now the bastard had the gall to leer openly at his mate, and the hanyou saw red. Tetsusaiga was in his hand when he heard Sesshomaru emit a subsonic warning growl. Inuyasha's shoulders stiffened, and then he swung his head towards his brother, the swift movement causing Kagome to jump a little. A brilliant blue rim surrounded his amber irises and the whites bled red above navy cheek stripes and elongating fangs.
 
While Jaken goggled, Sesshomaru sprang into action. “Kagome-sama… are you well?” he gravely inquired, and when she tore her eyes away from a transforming Inuyasha to stare at him in confusion, he gave her a significant look.
 
Instantly comprehending the need to remove Inuyasha from the situation, she gave a rapid nod. Better than a `sit' “I do have a bit of a headache; I think the heat has affected me.”
 
He inclined his head to her while holding Inuyasha's gaze with his own. “Brother… please return with your mate to her pavilion. She is ill.”
 
Those nightmarish eyes narrowed slightly, but then Kagome grasped his kimono and after a quick glance down into her pleading face, he nodded and rose to his feet, bringing her up with him. Inuyasha steadied her as she bowed to Sesshomaru; he recalled his role in the game in time to stiffly incline his head to the taiyoukai. As they headed to the door, Kohire and Gitoumaru followed. She wasn't sure, but she thought she heard mocking laughter ring out until it was cut off by the closing panels.
 
Inuyasha barely gave her time to don her footwear before he rushed her along, the layered kimono skirts preventing her from keeping up with his longer stride. “Inuyasha…!” she gasped out, and then squeaked in surprise as she was swooped up into his arms. They fairly flew through the corridors, over walkways and around buildings, the silver pendants in her hair chiming madly from the rush of wind, until they arrived in the garden surrounding the pavilion. In two fluid leaps, they were on the veranda; Gitoumaru panted into the garden a moment later and hauled up short at the sight of the hanyou, his silver hair waving gently in the updrafts of his aura, his unearthly red eyes glowing in the darkness. Kohire caught up a minute or two later, carrying a handful of the requested arrows.
 
“Move it, you two.” Inuyasha's voice was a deep growl; red mist curled and twisted around him. He seemed highly reluctant to put Kagome down, so she lay quietly in his grasp, watching his face. As Gitoumaru and Kohire approached, Inuyasha used his shoulder to push the external door aside, then waited for Gitoumaru to slide open the inner one. The teen shucked his boots and scuttled over to the weapons stand. Kohire inched close enough to lay the arrows on the tatami inside the door, and then drew himself up to await further orders, his eyes carefully averted.
 
“Collect the rest of your unit and form a cordon around this courtyard. Don't let anything or anyone through until dawn,” the hanyou rumbled.
 
“Understood, my lord.” Kohire snapped off a salute and quick-marched out of the pavilion.
 
Gitoumaru bowed deeply, not wishing to look into Inuyasha's reddened gaze. “Do you have any orders for me, my lord?”
 
“No, pup. Return in the morning to resume your duties… and make sure you're wearing that knife and a sword if you have one.”
 
“H-hai, Inuyasha-sama.” The youth shot out the door, barely pausing to shut it.
 
The hanyou closed his eyes for a moment, then stood Kagome on her feet. “Set a barrier… quickly.”
 
Instead of immediately obeying, Kagome held onto his arm. “Inuyasha, what's wrong? Why are you…?”
 
“Just do it,” he snapped and pushed her towards the arrows. She stumbled slightly and he caught her, but there was little gentleness in his action. Kagome quickly caught up the missiles and clutched them against her chest as she faced him, backing up a couple of steps.
 
“Inuyasha… you're scaring me,” she whispered, her entire body tense as she anticipated delivering either a `sit' or an imminent purification.
 
Amber fought for supremacy in his irises with blue, briefly lost, then reasserted itself. “I'm fighting to stay in control, Kagome… hurry up with that barrier!” His fangs seemed to grow again; warily, she began moving towards the nearest wall, but he hissed and jabbed a long claw towards the canopied, lamp-lit futon. Keeping one eye on him, she planted the arrows through the tatami and into the floor boards, wincing at Momiji's anticipated reaction to her vandalism.
 
As the barrier crackled into existence, Kagome stretched up her arms to make it as high as possible. She was lifted over Inuyasha's head in a heartbeat; startled, she brought her hands down but didn't quite dare to rest them on his shoulders. “Finish the job properly, bitch,” he growled and she slowly obeyed, pushing the barrier above the canopy, aware of his hot breath against her through all the layers of delicate silk he was now crushing. He allowed her to slip down his chest and as soon as her toes touched the mats, he roughly yanked the garments from her shoulders.
 
Don't!” Inuyasha stopped short at her sharp cry and the corresponding hint of fear that touched her scent; he dropped his head to her shoulder and breathed deeply, struggling to patch together the shreds of his control. Kagome held very still, fighting down the instinctive urge to `sit' him and instead concentrated on wrapping her aura around him. His youki seemed to respond as he turned his head and mouthed the crook of her neck, the tips of his elongated fangs scraping her skin; she sighed with relief, but then his claws hooked into the silver sash securing her innermost robes.
 
Stiffening, she reacted badly when it appeared he intended on slicing through the rich weave instead of undoing the knot. “Inuyasha! This was your mother's!” she hissed, grabbing his wrist in a grip of steel, her spiritual energy prickling.
 
Inuyasha's response was immediate and swift. The warning growl vibrated right through her body as his fangs pressed against her pulse, his mouth searing her flesh. Kagome froze, her mind spinning. What the hell set him off like this? Swallowing hard against the pressure, she rasped, “Inuyasha… please don't damage…” A sharp rrrip made her yelp and push away as the pouch of Jewel shards bounced off the tatami. “Dammit, Inuyasha! Stop this right now!” Clutching her robes closed, she attempted a retreat.
 
She didn't have time to think before she was yanked back into his chest. His fangs gripped her throat more tightly than before, freeing both his hands to roughly strip her, his claws nicking her in his haste. As the cold air of the room chilled her naked body, she shivered, but it was more from uncertainty than the temperature. A scrap of advice from the first time Inuyasha's demon blood had risen surfaced in her scattered thoughts. If I submit to him, maybe he'll calm down? Exhaling, she reluctantly went limp in his grasp.
 
The pressure on her throat instantly eased as Inuyasha scooped her up, carried her past the screens and shouldered through the sheer canopy. He pulled away the blankets and laid her on the futon, immediately pinning her underneath him with his knee between her thighs. Kagome shuddered and briefly lay rigid, shocked from fear into anger by his apparent intent. Dammit… I've just about had enough of this
 
While he lay unmoving on top of her, his heart hammering in her chest and his breathing harsh, she gathered her power to zap him back to normal. At the first tingle of spiritual energy contacting his skin, Inuyasha reared up and snarled in her face before repeating the submission hold on her throat. Her heart rate accelerated as his jaws closed and she began to struggle, causing him to clamp down even harder. Fighting down the panic, she tried a different tactic by throwing out her demonic aura to restrain his, but instead of twining together, the red flames pushed back and overwhelmed her.
 
So much for that brilliant plan; he's definitely not brooking any dissent. I'm running out of options, except for a `sit'… and that would drive both of us through the floorboards. Okay… back to Plan A…but I hate doing this! Forcing herself to relax, Kagome slowly rolled her head to the side and fully exposed her neck to him, gritting her teeth the entire time. The threatening fang-points were instantly replaced by a soft tongue that gently licked her smarting skin. Whew… that seems to have worked
 
“You're not making this easy…” she muttered quietly. He didn't answer, just nuzzled her cheek before raising himself slightly and tossing Tetsusaiga to the side before fumbling with his robes. Kagome held still and tried to think rationally about the situation. He's really upset, to the point that he's going all alpha on my ass at the slightest hint of defiance, so whatever Hakimaru did… If she could have moved, she would have smacked herself in the forehead. Well, duh, Higurashi. Hakimaru was practically undressing you with his eyes, and there's no way Inuyasha missed that. That sonofabitch! He deliberately provoked Inuyasha's memories of what he did to his mother!
 
That realization allowed her to calm down and pay close attention to Inuyasha's cues as he struggled with his clothing. As he attempted to release his sash with one hand, his entire body trembled while his aura swirled and twisted. He is so worked up… I have to try helping him, but… how far do I have to go? She tentatively moved to assist him with the knots as a peaceful gesture, but he misinterpreted her movements as another attempt push him away. A deep warning growl again vibrated and she obediently let her hands drop. The red sash was deposited in pieces off the side of the futon a few moments after that, then his hakama came loose and were shoved off his hips. Inuyasha settled back against her, his erection hot and hard against her thigh, his breath coming in harsh rasps against her neck.
 
She tensed up and dug her fingernails into the bedding as his hand fisted into her hair and his fangs firmly nipped her shoulder. Steeling herself, she tried to relax, but she just couldn't. Every nerve was on high alert for the expected penetration… but it never came. Wait… he's restraining me, but he sure isn't `assuming the position' either.
 
“Kagome…” Her name came out as a guttural growl; she tried to listen around her heart pounding in her ears. “I need to… don't fight me… please…” He shifted, the soft silk of his robes at total odds with the tense body wearing them. Long-clawed fingers turned her face towards him and Kagome caught her breath at the anguish clearly visible in those brilliantly-coloured eyes. Inuyasha… that prick really got to you, didn't he? His elongated fangs glinted in the dim light of the oil lamps just before he carefully pressed his lips to hers, the touch gentle if made somewhat awkward by the longer canines. Recognizing that he was trying to make amends, Kagome slipped her arms up around him and kissed him back until he purred softly.
 
Some of the tension left his body as they embraced, but not entirely; soon, the hand caressing her cheek slid down her body, tracing lightly over her curves before slipping between them to grip his straining erection. She willingly opened her thighs, anticipating his entry instead of dreading it. However, instead of guiding himself into her, Inuyasha instead flipped his hair over his shoulder and rolled slightly to the side, his face buried against her neck. Confused, she focussed on the motions of his hand and was startled to realize he was vigorously pumping himself. What the hell…? He's… why's he doing that?
 
Exhaling, she tried to puzzle out an answer despite the harsh panting close to her ear. She completely lost her train of thought when the hanyou's motion stalled just before he gasped and shuddered violently. The distinctive, spicy scent of his ejaculate instantly filled her nose and she glanced down at the thick white liquid spattering her torso. Inuyasha whined and pulled himself away to quickly shrug out of one sleeve of his loosened kimono. His warm, wet hand immediately began sensuously rubbing the traces of his orgasm into her skin. Kagome blinked in befuddlement for a moment. Damn… gonna need a couple of buckets of hot water to wash off this scent before I go to the dojo tomorrow morning or the cadets will faint… waitaminute… that's it… he's scent-marking me in a pretty extreme way!
 
Trying to show that she understood, she stroked one hand down his back to rest on his bare hip. Gently sweeping her thumb over the dark blue markings curling on his skin, she was rewarded by a soft nuzzle into her neck. His calloused hand moved slowly over her curves, his fingers delicately tracing the scars left by the snake's fangs above her hip and over her breast; she completely relaxed under his tender attentions. After a short pause, she whispered, “Koibito? What happened…?”
 
His hand didn't cease gently moving while she wondered if he'd heard her. A moment after that, he lifted his head, his eyes now reddened bronze with a thin bright blue rim. Inuyasha kissed her nose and darkly rumbled, “Hakimaru wanted you.”
 
“I thought so,” she muttered. “That bastard…!”
 
“Could smell him,” the hanyou hissed, the tightness in his voice threatening Hakimaru a great deal of pain and suffering for his provocation. “The fucker reeked of arousal, so he wasn't faking.” Inuyasha tenderly rubbed his cheek against hers. “I should have expected this kind of shit from him… I'm sorry, koishii.”
 
So I was right. “No need to apologize, koibito,” she murmured, wrapping her arms tightly around her hanyou and leaning up to kiss the point of his chin. “Now that he's pissed me off for upsetting you like this, he's as good as dead.” Tugging his head down, she pressed butterfly kisses along his cheek stripe until he sighed heavily and relaxed in her arms. He released her hair from his grip, then moved to cradle her head in his palm
 
“Forgive me?” he finally asked, his voice as contrite as his drooping ears.
 
“Of course, anata,” she whispered, stroking his cheek with her fingertips, watching how his eyes softened at the endearment. “However, that `choke hold' was really annoying…” His eyes and fingertips instantly checked her skin while she tilted her chin to give him a clearer look.
 
“Shit. I left marks on you…” he mumbled, flushing guiltily.
 
“You could try kissing me all better,” she suggested with a soft smile. Inuyasha muttered something and ran his tongue over the reddened skin before taking her mouth in a searing kiss. Kagome clung to him, returning the heated contact in full, her body and mind now freely responding to the intimate touch.
 
As her arousal surged and his body gave every sign of responding in kind, Inuyasha abruptly pulled away. “We can't, aisai… it's too dangerous…”
 
In answer, she hooked her legs around his and grabbed a double-fistful of hair. “There are guards ringing the pavilion, I've set a barrier, and your demonic aura would give even Sesshomaru second thoughts at stopping by… please, Inuyasha. I want you... please.” He looked down at her, concern for their safety and desire for her touch plainly warring in his expression before he sighed again and snuggled submissively under her chin, his warm breath puffing across her bare skin and his twitching ear tickling her jaw. Kagome pressed several kisses to the crown of his head and then set about relieving him of the rest of his clothing.
 
Rolling him over onto his back, she freed his long muscular legs of the silk hakama before straddling his thighs. He's so beautiful… Framed by silver hair and the tumble of silk, Inuyasha gazed up at her with obvious longing. Kagome smiled softly and began running her hands over his chest and shoulders, down his arms and back again, tracing the marks of his youki curling against his golden skin until he was fairly purring in contentment. Her hair spilled over her shoulders, tickling him as she bent over and followed the paths of her fingers with her mouth, kissing, licking and nibbling as she scent-marked him her way.
 
His hands stroked up her legs to cradle her hips, his thumbs brushing slow circles over her bones. Kagome rocked herself gently against him while continuing to trace the topography of his torso, loving the contrast of hard muscles covered by velvety skin. Inuyasha used the pad of his thumb to press against her bundle of nerves, rubbing in time to her motions. As she quivered and jerked, his other hand cupped her breast and began a slow sweep over the achingly hard tip. Throwing back her head, Kagome gave herself into his hands and moved faster, feeling the familiar, welcome tightening between her legs.
 
Lost in the sensations of her slick heat grinding rhythmically against the base of his shaft, her hard nub and even harder nipples under his fingertips, Inuyasha grunted in surprise when Kagome suddenly raised her hips and took him in one hot, wet slide. Their abrupt joining stilled them both as her body accommodated him; to Inuyasha, it was like being caught in a velvet vise. Fighting against the urge to roll them both over and drive himself into her until they were both breathless and quivering, he let her set the pace, his claws digging lightly into her hips as he held on for the ride. “Can't last… very long…” he gasped, and then Kagome gave a ragged cry, catching hold of his arms to anchor herself as her body clenched hard around him.
 
He managed to keep his eyes open to watch her entire body tense, the lines of her stomach flowing up into her ribcage, throwing her breasts into high relief as she arched, her head dropping so far back that her long hair brushed the tops of his thighs… and the jewelled comb finally parted company with her tresses, bouncing off his leg and into the bedding. As she wavered, he sat up slightly to cushion her fall as she slowly collapsed forward onto his chest.
 
Inuyasha let her catch her breath, holding her tightly while her body repeatedly rippled around him. When she sighed deeply and became boneless, he rolled both of them over in such a way that he remained sheathed inside her. Remembering the comb as it rustled from their movement, he fished around, then tossed both it and his clothing onto the mats next to Tetsusaiga. Kagome dazedly opened her eyes and blinked up at him; he smirked before planting a lingering kiss on her lips while he leisurely rocked against her. “Oi, wench. No sleep for you just yet…”
 
“Again?” she mumbled, shifting her hips to give him a better angle.
 
“Keh. You get me all riled up like that, and you think I'm gonna sleep?” he asked, bending his head to reach her breast with his tongue. Kagome sighed long and deep, then stretched underneath him in a most provocative way, snaking her arms up over her head to tangle her hands in her own glossy hair, arching her back to press her breast against his mouth. Slowly relaxing, she smiled lazily, her silver eyes dark and heavy-lidded as she reached for his ears.
 
“In the mood to howl, are you?” she purred, her fingers rubbing slow, maddening circles as his eyes nearly crossed. Inuyasha managed to give her a lopsided leer just before his brain completely scrambled and his hips picked up the pace of their own accord.
 
The surrounding cordon of guards snapped to attention at the long, loud and rather triumphant howl that reverberated through the night air.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The next morning, Kagome slowly awakened to the happy realization that Inuyasha hadn't slipped off to stand guard for the first time since arriving at the fortress; instead, the hanyou was curled around her, his heart thudding under her ear in time with her own and his breath warm on her bare shoulder. Sighing contentedly, she snuggled into his embrace and wondered if she could convince him to keep doing this instead of leaving once she was asleep. The barrier probably helped… maybe he'll let me set one again tonight?
 
She dozed for a little while longer, enjoying the security of Inuyasha's arms and the warmth of his skin, until a very unwelcome thought that hadn't concerned her in months suddenly intruded into her cozy consciousness. When am I due for my next contraceptive shot? Kagome broke out into a cold sweat as she racked her brain to recall the date of her last injection and found that she couldn't exactly remember. Taking a deep breath to fight down the sense of doom that had settled into the pit of her stomach, she realized her suddenly-pounding heart would undoubtedly wake up Inuyasha. Think, Higurashi, think! It wasn't during the New Moon Festival, so it would have to be the time before that… the night we did the motorcycle tour of Tokyo? Or was it the previous month, when I gave Sango her shot…? Oh, shit. This is not good!
 
Before she could really panic, her hanyou snuffled a bit and yawned. His entire frame tensed when he realized where he was, but then relaxed again when he detected the faint crackle of the barrier. Kagome forcefully shoved her concern into a mental broom closet and pressed a kiss to his chest before raising herself on one elbow to smile down at him. “Good morning, koibito.”
 
He gave her a long, slow smile, his golden eyes smouldering. “Oi. You awake already?”
 
Kagome nodded, twirling a lock of silver around her forefinger. “First decent sleep I've had in this place, actually.”
 
Inuyasha snorted before answering, “Me, too.” His expression closed slightly, and he had trouble meeting her eyes. “Koishii… I'm really sorry about jumping you like that last night…”
 
She patted his chest, smiling quietly. “No need to apologize again. I didn't realize at first why you were so upset, but I figured it out before I tried to `s' you….”
 
“You said that I scared you,” he whispered guiltily, his claws flexing gently on her back.
 
“You did… a little, but I recovered fast,” she murmured reassuringly, pressing a soft kiss to his lips. “However, there are some cadets that are going to be wishing for nose-plugs when I hit that dojo this morning!”
 
His arms tightened around her. “Hakimaru's going to try something today… I know it. He deliberately provoked me last night and I over-reacted, so he knows how to get at me….”
 
“He's the same kind of slime as Naraku,” Kagome replied. “He'll go down the same way, too… at the point of our swords.”
 
Inuyasha cocked his head as he contemplated her words, then managed a crooked smile. “You're absolutely right, koishii.” His ears flickered as he detected voices approaching the pavilion through the light noise filter of the barrier and caught her in a short, intense kiss before sitting them both up. “Breakfast approaches, so we'd better make ourselves decent first. Where's your uniform?” he asked, running his fingers through his hair and scratching his stomach. Kagome frowned a bit and rolled her shoulders before stretching her arms up over her head, wincing as her muscles complained. “What's up with you?” Inuyasha asked, dancing his claws up her ribs and enjoying her giggling yelp.
 
“I did a light work out with the cadets yesterday morning… guess I'm a little out of shape from all this sitting around drinking tea.” She smiled wryly. “Shippo-kun could totally kick my butt right now….”
 
“I hope not; it could get ugly today,” he muttered. “Where did you say your uniform was?”
 
She tweaked his ear. “I didn't say, because I was distracted… the chest next to the one under the weapons stand, I think…”
 
“Sit tight and I'll grab them for you; hope you weren't thinking of washing off my scent.”
 
“Not on your life, dog-boy. However, I expect that you'll hit the bath house with me afterwards!”
 
“Deal, wench.” Inuyasha winked at her, stood up and was about to exit the canopy when Kagome grabbed his ankle.
 
“I have to drop the barrier first, or you'll be purified… not a great way to start your day!” she chided, throwing on his dark blue kosode before scrambling off the futon and through the screens ahead of him to yank the first arrow out of the floorboards. As the crackling net vanished, the voices outside fell silent as spiritual energy abruptly gave way to demonic power.
 
Inuyasha bellowed through the closed doors, “Stay out there until I give the word!” as he scooped his fire-rat from where it lay inside the doorway. There was a scuffle of feet and mutterings of `Hai, Inuyasha-sama'. Quickly pulling on his clothing, the hanyou appreciatively watched Kagome's long bare legs as she scooted around the chilly room retrieving arrows and the pouch of Jewel shards, muttering about the cold. He retrieved the new uniform out of the indicated chest, then started grinning rather broadly.
 
“What are you smirking about, dog-boy?” Kagome asked, snagging the thick hakama out of his hand and fairly hopping into them, then reaching for the tunic, her teeth chattering lightly despite the borrowed silk she wore.
 
He dangled the long strips of woven linen in front of her nose. “Don't you have to put these on first?”
 
“I'm freezing!” she growled and grabbed for the dragon-hide again.
 
Twitching the garment out of her grasp, he handed her the bindings. “I'll help…”
 
Shivering, folding her arms over her chest, she gave him a wary look. “Have you ever done this before?”
 
“No, but I'm a fast learner.”
 
“Knock it off, and let me get dressed, you sadist!” Once all the warm clothing was donned, Kagome was much more cheerful… until she noticed Inuyasha hesitantly fingering the remnants of the shredded silver sash. Grimacing, she plucked it out of his hands and inspected the damage. “Momiji-san's gonna kill you…”
 
“I know,” he replied quietly, picking up the red silk kosode and reverently touching the heavy embroidery. “I'm glad you wore it, Kagome, that and the comb… someday, once all this shit is over, I'm gonna ask Sesshomaru for them. I want you and our…” he suddenly looked rather shy before continuing in an even softer tone of voice, “… our daughter to have them.” Inuyasha wasn't sure why Kagome first turned pure white and then flushed deep red before diving for the shrouded futon. “Koishii..?”
 
“N-nothing!” she squeaked, emerging with the jewelled hair ornament in her hand, her eyes darting everywhere but him. “I-I just thought that this shouldn't be left lying around or Momiji-san would have both our hides.” Kagome returned the comb to its carved box, then bustled around picking up the crumpled robes as Inuyasha watched her, more than a little puzzled, before shaking his head and opening the door to begin their day.
 
Ume, looking rather the worse for wear from a long night spent running back and forth to the kitchens while dodging lewd propositions from inebriated courtiers, waited groggily out on the veranda in the dawn chill with another servant, both of whom were carrying steaming trays. Her nose began to twitch, and her eyes grew very round; Kagome tried hard not to blush but failed miserably. Inuyasha merely grinned. “Come on in! Don't be shy; show's over.” When Ume shot him a scandalized look, he jauntily smirked and made a show of sniffing the breakfast offerings. Kagome caught Ume's attention and rolled her eyes. The teenager giggled and set about arranging breakfast on the table after dismissing the other servant.
 
“Allow me to tidy up your robes, Kagome-sama,” she cheerfully offered, taking the armload of silk. “I'll return them and the comb to the treasury.” Her expression changed to one of dismay when she saw the destroyed silver sash. Kagome shrugged and silently pointed at Inuyasha, who was busy inhaling a bowl of rice. Ume scowled as impressively as Momiji. Shaking the damaged silk at the hanyou, she scolded, “You do realize that you risk having your ears docked for this?”
 
He looked adorably contrite, pulling the biggest puppy eyes Kagome had ever seen. “It was an accident, Ume-chan. You'll explain that to Momiji-san for me, right?”
 
Definitely immune to his charms, the teen simply glared. “No, Inuyasha-sama, I will not. You can take your lumps like a full-grown inu-youkai.”
 
“Are you kidding me? Momiji-san in a temper makes even Sesshomaru run for cover!” He shuddered dramatically, but Ume still refused to budge. Grumbling, she began the long task of laying out each individual kosode, checking the garment for damage or stains, then folding it up neatly into a compact square. Kagome kept her head down and shovelled in her breakfast as quickly as possible, her thoughts turning to the day to come.
 
“Git'll be here any minute,” Inuyasha warned. He rolled his emptied tea cup in his palm and stared thoughtfully at the swirling patterns in the glaze. “I have a feeling that the dragon-shit is really going to be flying today.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж