InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Tribute ❯ THE SCENT OF MORTAL ALLURE ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

CHAPTER FOUR

INSPECTION AND THE SCENT OF MORTAL ALLURE

Saburo, Kiyoshi's assistant, waited anxiously for the arrival of Lord Sesshoumaru to inspect his Tribute gifts in the Greeting Hall of the palace. It was a way of giving the heir a chance to discreetly discard the gifts that he did not want before they were presented at the ceremony.

He silently viewed the endless tables of merchandise: various foods, beverages, rare fabrics, jewels, scents, spices, inks, paper, medicines, armor, weapons both bio-tech and Old style, art, machines, computerized gadgets, and magical items. The perishable "items" were the worst part. Saburo glanced over at the live gifts.

In one large cage with electrical bars, there were about ten strong human males; in another bigger metal prison with a magically charged field were captured demons that could be utilized for various purposes, and inside of a partially covered pen human children of different ages and both genders were clustered, with some crying. The fourth cage was completely covered with a large bolt of semi-sheer fabric. Saburo resented the obstruction because these were human females. For this High Tribute there were only eighteen; all quite pretty and unblemished but not as extraordinary as the females that were offered at the bi-annual. Fortunately, the Great Dog Demon's son abhorred the company of humans and did not make use of them the way his father had; marrying and siring a hanyou upon one of them.

Saburo hoped that the women would be offered as brides to the human males that were looking for wives. There was only one girl in this latest group who had surpassed any he'd ever seen since being appointed as Kiyoshi's assistant.

She was brought in at sunset by a bumbling oaf and a mean-spirited harridan in a cart. Upon spying the group at the unloading gate, Kiyoshi's assistant had his doubts about the Tribute being offered, until he saw the girl.

Saburo sighed at recalling the exquisite creature who never uttered one word. Her shining dark hair was twisted into a long braid and adorned with three pearl and iridescent combs. There was no paint on her face and her deep fathomless eyes swallowed his soul. Her skin was radiant, gleaming with health and vitality. The white silk kimono was adorned with tiny white hologram moons. The under-robe was also white and embroidered with crescent moons. Her form was graceful and well-curved enough to make Saburo's breath catch in his throat. Yes, he prayed that the young youkai lord would pass over this choice morsel.

"Saburo!" Jaken's harsh squawk shattered his daydream and he jerked to attention. Saburo glared at the stocky little toad briefly, before suppressing his annoyance at the sight of Lord Sesshoumaru standing silently near.

Sesshoumaru was attired in the garments he would wear to the High Tribute ceremony. His haori and hakama were both made of bioengineered lightweight snow-white leather. The under-robe was white silk and trimmed in the silver, red and black kanji of the Inu Taisho Clan. His ceremonial sash was an artistic creation made of heavy silk and fine metals inlaid with dark rubies, amethysts, opals, pearls, yellow jade and sapphires. The boots were white fur with white-gold tassels and heels. The long white fur pelt-cloak was flung across his shoulder.

Saburo was astounded at the magnificent sight of him; rendered speechless by his regal bearing and perfection of face and form so well accentuated by the garments.

"Saburo, do not keep Lord Sesshoumaru waiting!" the toad youkai raised the Staff of Heads with threatening menace at the human who wisely backed away and apologized.

"Of course, Jaken-sama! No insult was intended! I did not hear you and my Lord approach as I was occupied preparing everything for your viewing."

Sesshoumaru had no patience for this speech and was idly investigating the wares with an excessively bored expression. He peered at the male humans and gave his instructions.

"This is a hale bunch. They will serve well in the fields. Three are plagued with sickness so have them immediately slaughtered and fed to the demon guard. My men have earned fresh meat for their loyalty," Sesshoumaru said to Saburo who quickly jotted his words down and which human males would be killed for food. Fortunately, the youkai lord spoke in the High Demon tongue of the youkai nobles. Saburo was instructed long ago in the language by Kiyoshi as a young boy.

The caged demons were unnaturally subdued when the white-haired demon approached the cage. Earlier the lot of them had been fighting and making horrific sounds but they sensed Sesshoumaru's immense youki and had no desire to test him. A few knew who he was having heard of his ruthless exploits in the city and beyond the palace and Western Lands. The demon lord's interest in the demons was brief and he hastily informed Saburo of which ones would be used for sport in the arena as entertainment.

The assistant held his breath when Sesshoumaru paused at the fabric covered cage. He whipped the sheet off with a movement so quick that it was not even a blur of motion. One moment the sheet was there, the next moment it was not.

"They look healthy enough to me," Sesshoumaru commented with no interest, perusing the young women inside the cage. Some shrank back in fear from his aloof stare and demeanor. More than a few curiously studied him, stunned by his height and beauty. There was one in a white kimono that didn't react at all. She quietly sat on a makeshift stool with a distant expression on her pale features.

Sesshoumaru squelched his unwilling amusement at her lack of reaction. She'd be afraid enough before this evening was through, the foolish wench. Defiance would not be tolerated.

The demon lord abruptly tensed, arrested in mid-thought. No, his senses were not deceived. His nostrils quivered, and it was all that he could to control his body's response.

He inhaled sharply, detecting an unusual fragrance; a mixture of spicy blood, musk, flower-petal skin, wet moss and ripe fruit. The kind of fragrance that was erotic perfume to a demon's nose but not detectable to humans at all, since few were aware of its source or what it meant.

At least five of the human females were fertile but there was one who was not merely just ripe for birthing pups but she was the most receptive to a demon's seed. Whichever one it was exuded the potent scent and Sesshoumaru dared not venture any closer. Any child the mystery female bore would be entirely youkai, not hanyou. Or depending on the cycle of fertility that coincided with the moon and the demonic power of the youkai involved, the offspring could be born completely human.

Every once in a while, such a human female existed but it was a rare occurrence. Also, the scent was a heady, overwhelming aphrodisiac to a male demon and could trigger him into heat. This was not good.

The maiden was a danger to all of the males in the entire palace with even a single drop of youkai blood in their veins. She would need to be locked away for several days until the odor subsided and faded.

The demon lord had to admit that he was intrigued by the circumstances; after all, it was his Tribute and a High Tribute at that! Not even his father with a penchant for human females could claim rights to the human woman with the intoxicating fragrance.

"Sesshoumaru-sama? Are you displeased, my Lord?" Jaken queried, noting the slight smirk on his master's face.

Saburo was tense with terror. He did not want to incite the Lord Inuyoukai's displeasure by displaying poor quality Tribute to his son. Sweat beaded up on his brow and he waited while Sesshoumaru circled the cage of maidens, his face focused, his golden eyes concentrated, as he inhaled. Saburo's stomach fell twenty feet or more as Sesshoumaru gestured towards the beauty his heart was set on.

"The one in white. Bathe her and place her in my quarters, do not allow anyone to enter the rooms."

"Hai, my Lord," Saburo replied, dropping his eyes and bowing to the floor.

"Jaken?"

"Hai, Sesshoumaru-sama?" the little toad scurried to his master's side, his expression anxious.

"See to it." Sesshoumaru turned away, no longer interested in the High Tribute. It was all that he could do to contain himself without grabbing the wench through the bars and rutting with her on the floor. Shit! This would not do at all! He was not certain what he would do but he could not allow the woman to be accessible to anyone else.

Rin quietly observed the demons as they addressed the nervous human man. Perhaps they were making plans to kill and skin them all! She did not know everything that demons did to humans but the stories were never good. Often she'd heard that demons ate people, which was no surprise. The white-haired demon with the cool golden eyes made the hackles on the back of her neck rise. She could hear the frightened whispers of the girls and a few silly ones who exclaimed about how lovely he was and personable.

Why had he pointed to her?