Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ The Transience of Memory ❯ Evil Nanna ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Author's notes: Typical disclaimer I own nothing of Kingdom Hearts.
 
This takes place immediately after the end of the previous chapter. I just reeeally didn't have it in me to do a double. So, if you are confused, look at the end of last chapter. Cheers :D
 
 
Chapter 10:
 
 
Hayner was perplexed. He didn't know what to make of the last 10 minutes. He stood there, unmoving, as the water in the shower turned on. Had he done something wrong? He slowly slid off his shorts, stalling, now very daunted at the thought of joining the irritated gang leader in the shower. Was he still expected to? Or expected not to?
 
Dammit, he wasn't any good at this!
 
He let the frustration fuel him, and he stomped over to the glass door. He pulled it open, and stepped inside, a scowl on his face. There was an abundance of steam billowing about the oversized, flat-floored shower, and the water that splashed him felt scaldingly hot.
 
Seifer's back was to him. He had one arm braced against the wall in front of him, as he ducked his head under the spray.
 
“You're mad at me, aren't you?” Hayner asked him bluntly.
 
Seifer straightened, his arm falling to his side. “No,” he responded, turning slightly. The water, that was turning his skin a painful pink, spattered further back when he moved.
 
Hayner hissed as it hit him. Damn, it was HOT! “Then, are you mad at yourself?!” he exploded. “Because barring those two things, I can't think of any other reason for you to try boiling us alive!”
 
Seifer reacted appropriately. Which was, to say, unexpectedly. He started to laugh. He started laughing so hard he backed into the tile wall for support. More water happily started to burn Hayner.
 
“OW! Goddamnit!” He dove for the knob that controlled the water temperature, frantically trying to cool it down. Suddenly, icy water was falling on his back.
 
AH! He recoiled, ducking as far as he could to the side to avoid the taciturn spray. Seifer was laughing helplessly on the floor by now, seemingly immune to the wildly fluctuating water.
 
Hayner grabbed the knob again, enduring the numbing of his arm as he reached through the evil, icy streams to modulate the temperature. He breathed a sigh of relief when it became lukewarm.
 
He stood over Seifer, managing to look as put out as he felt, even while his eyes roamed over the artfully sprawled body. Down his chest… up a thigh… He snapped his gaze to a relatively safer location. The miscreant's hair was messy, falling into his eyes and dripping water sexily. Smoke blue eyes caught his, intimately.
 
He never did have an off moment, did he? Hayner thought with annoyance and admiration. Seifer managed to make everything he did look tantalizing, even sitting on the floor of a shower.
 
Hayner crouched in front of him, studying his face carefully. “Have you snapped?”
 
“Maybe…” Seifer replied, slipping a hand up into Hayner's hair, and pulling him into a possessive kiss.
 
Hayner even forgot about the water falling on his head as Seifer's mouth melded to his, the thug's tongue caressing, hot-wet and insistent. Demanding. It sent desire snaking through him, curling snugly in his belly.
 
 
“Tell me why you're angry,” Hayner said when he'd managed to pull away. It was hard to do, and he wasn't sure if he wasn't regretting it already.
 
“I'm a possessive bastard.”
 
Hayner let out a sigh of exasperation.
 
Seifer half shrugged. “I'm trying not to be.”
 
Hayner waved that away. “You're jealous?” he said incredulously. “Of who? What competition could you possibly have?”
 
Seifer remained silent.
 
“Oh, for godssakes, you ass. Do you think I'd be like this with just anybody?”
 
“…”
 
“Say yes to that, and I'll knock your teeth out.”
 
Seifer chuckled.
 
Hayner eyed him speculatively. “Geez, you're awfully insecure for being a total thug,” he teased. “But I wouldn't have wanted you to meet Gran if you weren't important to me.”
 
“Does that mean you wouldn't mind a quickie while we're here?” he asked innocently, tugging Hayner close.
 
“Seifer! We don't have time for that!” He said that, but the offer was tempting. So was that hand sliding down his hip.
 
“Five minutes, tops,” he cajoled.
 
“Well, if that isn't a convincing argument,” Hayner deadpanned, “I don't know what is.”
 
“Well, damn.” Seifer got to his feet.
 
He grabbed the bar of soap, while Hayner grabbed the shampoo, a thought already formulating in his mind as he worked the frothy bubbles across his skin. Good thing he'd already done his own hair before Hayner got in.
 
He rinsed the soap languidly off his body, then moved to let Hayner under the spray.
 
Hayner eased beneath the showerhead, lifting his hands to rinse the eye-stinging suds from his hair. It was that position again… upraised arms, taught belly, flexing chest. Last time he'd seen Hayner like this was the first night he'd slept over, after he'd just emerged from the shower, wet and glistening, rubbing a towel over his sodden hair. The ring, like then, was still on the chain around his neck.
 
He'd almost jumped Hayner then, when he called attention to the ring with a brush of his hand. He made the contact seem unintentional, but he'd really just been looking for an excuse to touch him.
 
That small step forward, made it almost impossible to hold back. Seeing all the little reactions flit over the blonde's face, and the way his stomach clenched as he held his breath- brown eyes full of wary fascination. There was a magnetic pull between them… it was dragging him under, eating away at his self-control- reducing his thoughts to eyes… lips… skin… and sex.
 
As soon as the blonde closed his eyes, Seifer began trailing hands up the other boy's chest, across his shoulders, and down his stomach. With soap, of course.
 
“Seifer-” Hayner warned.
 
“Hush, I'm helping you wash. It's faster this way.” Not an out-and-out lie, but almost.
 
Once the shampoo was all rinsed out, Seifer pulled Hayner out of the spray. “I'll do your back.”
 
He worked up a good lather then set the soap aside, his now free hands gliding over the other boy's back, sides, and lower. Down each leg, and up the soft skin of each inner thigh. Massaging, kneading, stroking. If he wasn't mistaken, he could hear Hayner's breathing speed up. Oh, yes, he could be convincing if he wanted to be.
 
He rose and pulled Hayner tightly into him, and out of the spray, his soapy hands sliding circles over his chest and down his stomach. “Be mine,” he whispered huskily into the blonde's ear as he gripped him.
 
Hayner tipped his head back, offering his lips, and kissing him heatedly.
 
Oh, how he wished there was time to ravish Hayner properly.
 
He eventually released the blonde, turning him, and pushing him up against the cool tiled wall.
 
Hayner groaned as Seifer pressed against him, wet heat trailing down his neck. “Five minutes?” he gasped. The water had been running for quite some time.
 
“More or less,” Seifer confirmed, his hand sliding around Hayner once more, pulling firmly. “Though I'd prefer to be inside you,” he breathed hotly into his ear, making him moan.
 
Just his voice, Hayner thought foggily, Just his voice, all rough and wanting, was nearly enough to- No. Stop thinking about that or you're gonna…
 
“Gimmie the soap,” Hayner panted.
 
Seifer produced it with his free hand. Hayner grabbed it, lathered his hands and tossed it to the back of the shower. Seifer followed the motion instinctively, so he was caught off guard when he felt Hayner's hands on him. “Shit, Hayner,” he gasped. Who knew just hands could feel so good? Or maybe it was whom the hands belonged to? God, he was close already.
 
“Quit obsessing, okay?” Hayner murmured sexily, his hand emphasizing the words. “I only want you.” Seifer wasn't sure if he could believe those words, but his body reacted to the bold admission whole-heartedly. He latched onto Hayner's lips like a lifeline, sucking at their sweetness as he came, Hayner shuddering sinuously against him.
 
 
********
 
“Boy,” Thelma said, addressing Hayner.
 
He looked up from the mug he was currently washing out. She had made a fresh pot of coffee this morning, and he jumped at the chance to avoid the instant stuff. That he didn't relish the thought of using a flowery teacup went without saying.
 
“That had to be the longest shower you've ever taken,” she peered at him.
 
His eyes widened slightly, and he whipped around, suddenly extremely intent on the cleansing of his mug. He could feel the color rising in his cheeks, which he determinedly refused to acknowledge.
 
“Are you going to be seeing Seifer today?” she teased, noticing the blush.
 
Thankfully she wasn't guessing the truth, just a likely scenario. That he was taking loads of time to get ready for a date or something. Yes, he thought, I am just an innocent little kid, embarrassed and excited about getting to see my… well, whatever it was that Seifer was to him.
 
She sipped her coffee, knowingly. “I did tell him before he left that your grounding would only be for two days.”
 
“He knew?!” Hayner blurted out in surprise. He jumped me in the middle of the night, when he knew he could see me in just a few more hours?! And then the thing in the shower, and -
 
Thelma gave him an assessing look. Like an eagle, her eye was sharp, and almost all-seeing.
 
Aw, fuck.
 
“Is there something you'd like to tell me?” a frown was dangerously close to forming on her face.
 
Seifer, I swear to god, if you keep getting me in these situations… “No, Nanna,” he said. This, he supposed, was the part where he sucked at lying and was found out. He had to turn this around. He poured some coffee with feigned nonchalance. “But is there something you want to tell me?” He felt like a bad actor. Surely he sounded like one. But he gave it his best shot, thinking about the secret kitchen conversation as he said it, throwing his curiosity and impatience into it.
 
She gave him a questioning look. That was progress anyway.
 
“What did you two talk about that day?” he rounded on her, coffee in hand. He slunk into the chair across from her, leaning forward intently. Hey, maybe he could find out what they said after all! He felt a grin pulling back over clenched teeth.
 
“Oh, stop it, you little beast, I can't tell you.” Affection and amusement were crowding her eyes, and she took another long sip from her teacup to prevent a smile.
 
“C'mon, Nanna!” he pleaded. “You even told him you were grounding me! That's not fair!”
 
“He can tell you, if he wants,” she drawled. She seriously doubted he would though. Mainly she had put the older boy on the spot about how he felt, and he hadn't seemed too pleased to dredge it up. He undoubtedly wasn't ready to admit anything to Hayner, when he could barely admit it to himself. It was really cute though, when she caught him off guard. He lost a bit of the cool confidence and wary politeness. Of course, as soon as he recovered, he bristled and was defensive - but he reverted into a more natural behavior afterwards. She smiled. Oh, it was too fun.
 
“Ugh. He won't tell me squat. He'll just taunt me with it, I'm sure.”
 
“Ah, young love,” she sighed, teasing just to get a reaction.
 
“Nanna!” Hayner sputtered, as he jumped up, nearly knocking his coffee over.
 
They both had an affinity for that, it seemed.
 
Hayner tried to get coherent words to leave his mouth, but it just wasn't happening. He wasn't equipped to be teased about this, so early in the morning. Especially when Seifer was still here… and they'd only just… He flushed.
 
Thelma smiled.
 
He fled to his room.
 
She leisurely sipped her coffee, the rich aroma floating around the kitchen pleasantly. They were both just adorable.
 
 
*****************
 
“Seifer?” Hayner called in a hushed voice. He hadn't been in his bedroom, so Hayner went further down the hall. The bathroom was empty as well, but there were the thug's boxers, still on the floor. Hayner paused. He didn't remember seeing clothes on his bedroom floor though. He went back to check. No, at least- they weren't anywhere he could see them.
 
The phone rang while he tried to figure this out. Maybe the kitchen room?
 
“Hayner, phone!” His grandma called out sweetly. “It's Seifer.” She almost cooed the name, laughter evident in her voice as she teased him mercilessly.
 
He grabbed the phone from the bathroom counter. How was he getting a call from the thug, wasn't he already here? “Hello?”
 
“Yes dear, and you just stop by anytime, ok?” Nanna was speaking.
 
“You bet.” That was Seifer.
 
You bet…. Yeah, you already made good on that, didn't you, you tricky bastard? “Nanna, get off the phone.”
 
“I'm going, you wretched boy.” She said lightly.
 
He could hear Seifer chuckle softly in the background.
 
“Just let me know before you go out, ok?” she added.
 
“Yes, yes, fine. I will. OFF.” Hayner grit his teeth. She was playing this up way too much. He'd never known she had such an evil streak.
 
“Ok, bye dears,” she twinkled, followed by a click.
 
They shared a long moment of silence.
 
“Wow,” Seifer said. “Has she been like that all morning?”
 
“Since I went down, yes.”
 
“You must've improved your evasion skills,” he mused, “since she doesn't sound like she wants to gut me yet.”
 
“I'm working on it, no thanks to you,” Hayner ground out. He blinked. “Speaking of which, where the hell are you?”
 
“At my house. I slipped out while you were in the kitchen.”
 
“She almost figured it out.”
 
“Good thing I'm calling then, it solidifies my alibi.”
 
“So, when are you coming back?”
 
“In a little bit, I just need to change, and take care of a few things.”
 
Hayner felt a smirk pulling at his mouth. I just bet you do. “So, how's it feel to go commando? I notice you left your boxers on my bathroom floor.”
 
There was a muttered curse on the other end of the line. “I couldn't remember where I'd left them, and I didn't know how long you'd be distracting her.” Seifer switched tracks. “So how did that go exactly?”
 
“Ugh,” he replied. “Better than I thought, but she was almost onto me a few times. You need to give me some pointers.”
 
“We'll see.”
 
“You're still coming with me to Roxas' right?”
 
“…”
 
“What's the silence for?”
 
Seifer sighed. “You don't think he'll guess?”
 
Hayner furrowed his brow. “What, that we're… together?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Maybe. But that's not - ” what I'm worried about, he finished silently. He was mostly afraid that Roxas would see him differently, that he wouldn't be ok with it.
 
He latched onto Seifer's cryptic hesitations just now, trying to read between the lines. A sinking feeling was pouring into him. “We… We're not telling anyone, are we?”
 
“We can't.”
 
He'd suspected as much, but it still hurt. It was sharp and twisting.
 
Something must have made it through the empty silence, because Seifer was starting to speak. “You remember that fight you saw?”
 
Hayner made a noncommittal noise.
 
“It was because of you.”
 
“Wha- ?” About me?
 
“I wasn't kidding when I said you'd be targeted. And that was before.” He sounded frustrated. “It's better no one knows about this. I don't want to put you in any more danger.”
 
“How was it about me?” he asked quietly.
 
“It- ” Seifer sighed explosively, and Hayner could practically see him running a hand through his hair. “It was just some punks trying to get one up on me, by threatening you. I guess they noticed you were around me a lot, and they assumed a bunch of shit.”
 
“What were they going to do?” Hayner couldn't keep the tightness out of his voice. Whatever it was had been bad enough to through Seifer into a homicidal rage.
 
“I'm not telling you that.”
 
“C'mon,” Hayner pressed unreasonably, not sure if he really wanted to hear it.
 
“Drop it, Hayner,” came the harsh reply. “You don't need to know.”
 
“So, you nearly killed four people, for me?” he laughed weakly. “I want to say that's sweet, but from where I was, it was pretty disturbing.” That, was putting it lightly.
 
“What was I supposed to do?” He sounded angry and defensive. “It's all they understand.”
 
“I don't know,” Hayner said dully.
 
“I'm sorry if you disapprove,” he ground out, “but I wasn't going to let them lay their hands on you.” He took a breath, continuing so low that Hayner had to strain to hear the words. “And if I really had to kill them, I'd do that for you.”
 
Hayner clenched the phone hard. His stomach was lurching sickly. Hadn't his father said something like that to his mother all those years ago?
 
He lowered himself to the floor, feeling dizzy. But it wasn't the same… his father couldn't stand when she talked to anyone. He was so jealous and paranoid by the end- he'd threatened to kill everyone around her, if only to keep her with him. She took their son and left when he was at work one day. It tore her apart, since she still loved him so much. But she'd been afraid he might hurt Hayner, or herself even, if things continued.
 
“Hayner?” It sounded like that wasn't the first time Seifer had said his name.
 
“Yeah,” he answered thinly. It wasn't the same, right? His father was a whack-job, irrational, unstable. Seifer was completely sane, and was just trying to protect him the only way he knew how.
 
“Stay there. I'm coming over.”
 
 
Hayner stared at the red light on the phone minutes after the dial tone was audible, lost in thought.
 
 
***********
 
 
Seifer rang the doorbell on the quaint little house Hayner called home.
 
He hated waiting.
 
The door opened eventually, and it was Thelma who greeted him, and ushered him inside. “Well that was fast,” she commented conversationally. “You only just called a little while ago.”
 
He pasted a smile on his face. “It was a short conversation,” he lied. “We were just deciding when to meet, and where we'll be going.”
 
“You can go on upstairs, his room is the first door on the left.”
 
As if he didn't know. “Thanks.”
 
 
“Hayner?” he called, announcing his presence as he reached the top of the stairs.
 
“I'm in here.”
 
Seifer nudged the bedroom door open, not sure what to expect. Hayner had sounded so strange and distant by the time he'd hung up.
 
The blonde looked up as he entered the room. He was sitting on his bed, a rather large hardcover book balanced on his lap.
 
“A little light reading?” Seifer inquired. He sat on the bed, still trying to gauge the situation.
 
“The Lovecraft mythos. Monsters, crawling chaos, the end of the world, and other weird stuff in a bunch of short stories. Pence swore it was good, and lent me his copy.”
 
“What do you think?” Seifer reached out, tipping it back so he could see the cover. It really was a hefty book. He wondered if this was a collection of everything the guy ever wrote.
 
Hayner tilted his head in consideration. “It's strange, ominous, and gripping...” He grinned. “I think I like it.”
 
Seifer lay back on the bed, lacing his hands behind his head. Hayner seemed fine, but he just didn't know him well enough yet to know if it was a cover. He stared at the ceiling with a frown on his face, debating whether or not to say anything. “Are you ok?” he finally asked, without looking at him.
 
He heard the blond sigh, and close the book. “I'm fine.”
 
“You weren't fine a while ago.” Seifer looked up. The blonde was facing him, but looking away. There was a faintly unsettled air about him.
 
“I know. I sorta have some family issues that crop up now and then. Certain things set it off.” He shrugged uselessly, eyes flitting back to Seifer. “I get over it pretty quick.”
 
“I see.” Family issues. Who doesn't have those anymore? He propped himself up on an elbow. He waited patiently for the other boy to continue. A full minute must have passed.
 
Hayner looked at him.
 
He looked back.
 
 
“Are you going to enlighten me?” he asked when additional commentary was not forthcoming. “Or are we going to sit here and stare at each other?”
 
“Um… I'd rather not.” Hayner looked at him uncertainly, as if he thought Seifer was going to get mad over his refusal. His body was tensing, and his brows drew together. His calm was ebbing.
 
“Don't give me that look.” Seifer murmured. “It's up to you if you tell me anything.”
 
“But-”
 
He stared, unyielding, into wide brown eyes. “Hayner, give me a little credit.” I'm not going to force you. Is that all you think of me?
 
The blonde looked chagrined.
 
Seifer got up off the bed, and stretched. He turned then, and extended a hand to Hayner, a slight smile on his face. “C'mon runt. Don't we have to go visit your runty little friend?”
 
Hayner took his hand, allowing the miscreant to pull him up. It was warm. Reassuring somehow. “Yeah, jerk,” he said without a trace of hostility.
 
Standing next to him now, Hayner dipped his head, rested his forehead against Seifer's chest. “Thanks,” he mumbled. He felt an arm wrap around him, squeezing lightly.
 
“Anytime, brat.”
 
 
 
**********************
 
 
Knock knock.
 
Knock knock knock.
 
 
Knock knock-knock-knock Knock knock!!
 
 
Roxas groaned, cramming the pillow over his head.
 
 
KNOCK! KNOCK!
 
He jumped. What the hell were they beating the door with, a battering ram?! He sat up woozily, throwing his pillow to the foot of his bed. This was now at the top of his list for worst ways to be woken up.
 
“Go away!” he shouted from his room, hoping whoever it was would do just that. What time was it anyway? He looked around blearily, trying to locate his battered alarm clock. A glowing red number peeked forlornly from underneath a discarded shirt. It was noon?
 
“Alright Roxas, you open this door right now, or I'm breaking in.” Hayner called from outside.
 
Hayner? Wasn't he still gofering or whatever?
 
“You don't know how,” He called back amusedly. He found a shirt to put on, and made his way to the door.
 
“Ok, Seifer, do it.” He heard Hayner's muffled voice.
 
“Wait, hang on!” Visions of busted glass and torn down doors filled his mind.
 
He threw the lock, and flung the door open, heart racing.
 
Hayner was standing with his arms crossed, looking smug. Seifer was there too. He was lounging against the railing, looking bored.
 
“Er.” Roxas said, feeling ridiculous.
 
“You dip,” Hayner said. “We would've picked the lock, not smashed up your place.”
 
Hayner made to move past him, to go inside. “Hey, wait- ” Roxas tried to discourage him, but Hayner promptly sidled past him and into the apartment.
 
“Ah… won't you come in?” Roxas offered belatedly. He nodded at Seifer and went back inside, leaving the door open.
 
 
“Roxas,” Hayner said, taking a swig of an appropriated coke. “You look like shit.”
 
“Well, thanks. I feel like shit. What the hell are you doing waking me up like that?” he grumbled.
 
“Why are you still sleeping at noon?” he returned.
 
“I dunno,” he said, getting distracted as he watched Seifer milling about. “Maybe I'm tired?”
 
Roxas glanced back and forth between him and Hayner, noticing a sort of synergy. Was it just him, or was there a vibe?
 
He continued bickering with Hayner, but his attention was on he and Seifer. They weren't really any different than normal. Seifer still emanated boredom and recklessness, from where he was on the other side of the room. Hayner was Hayner. Loud, volatile, fun. And today, concerned.
 
“You want anything to drink?” he asked Seifer while Hayner was going on about food or video games or something. “There are cokes in the fridge, as my friend so quickly discovered.” He put extra emphasis on the word friend, as if using the term loosely, knowing it would get a rise out of Hayner.
 
“Sure.”
 
“Hey! You make it sound like I don't buy half of them, you punk!”
 
Seifer watched the exchange, then turned towards the kitchen.
 
Roxas caught Seifer's expression, as he went to get a soda. It was brief, but he could have sworn he saw the veil of boredom drop down at the last second, uncovering genuine amusement as his eyes fell on Hayner. Interesting.
 
 
He gave Seifer a calculating stare when he came back and sat on one of the random foldout chairs in the living room. Seifer had chosen to keep his distance from Hayner this whole time. There was nothing incriminating with that- and yet, he was sure…
 
Seifer glanced up, catching the unspoken question in Roxas' darker blue eyes. He didn't miss the way they flit subtly to Hayner, and back.
 
Roxas quirked a brow. Are you two…together?
 
Seifer's expression gave nothing away. However, he nodded infinitesimally before taking a swig of coke. Yes, you nosy bastard. There was no point in denying it if he'd figured it out already.
 
Roxas' eyes widened. Really? When did this happen?
 
(Hayner, of course, was being carefully kept out of this silent communication.)
 
Seifer shrugged. Recently. Then he glanced at Hayner, and back at Roxas, and shook his head. There was a warning look in his icy eyes. Don't say anything. It isn't out in the open.
 
Roxas nodded and smiled bemusedly. No problem. But, damn, you move fast.
 
 
 
_________________________
TBC
 
I don't think I promised akuroku this chapter… -_-;
But I can't remember. Sorry to anyone expecting that. I thought I just said that Roxas will be back (and he is!) and that the akuroku comes *soon*. (Maybe even next chapter!) Ooooo.
 
Thanks everyone, for reading, and for your support!
 
… and for shipping the Hay/Seif with me ;)
 
***
Oh CRAP! I almost forgot!! (again…)
HikaruRyu did a Doujinshi (comic) based off of the chapter “Web of Desire” (where Hayner gets totally pwned! For the first/second time. heh heh.) Ahh, I love it!
 
So, go have a look! (you pervs) :D
http://hikariryu.deviantart.com/gallery/