Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Mechanical Wings ❯ After Shock ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Four: After Shock
 
There was an annoying ringing in my ears. It felt like my head was about to split open-or maybe I wanted to split my head open to rid my self of the stabbing pain.

I opened my eyes and everything was still blurry. I tried to remember where I was, but I couldn't. I tried to remember what day it was but I couldn't. How long had I been out for? I didn't know.

So blurry. I blinked a few times and forced myself to remember, but all I drew was a blank slate. I lifted my head up only for it to crash back down on what I assumed was the floor. This helped my headache none and I shut my eyes tight, waiting for the pain to subside.

I swallowed and loathed the foul taste in my mouth. My nose wrinkled in disgust and suddenly ale and a most putrid smell wafted into my nostrils.

I tried to lye still, fore the pain was unlike anything I'd ever felt before, but I found I couldn't. The smell-The smell was too much to bear.

My hands pushed me off of the floor slowly and I wobbled as I tried to brace the arm of the couch. My knees were buckling and neither the pain nor the smell let up. I clutched my head and I found myself lying down on the couch. I was on my back and my body sank heavily into the soft cushions. I groaned and fell back out of consciousness. The ringing continued.

* * *

Again I woke, but this time, to hear harsh, rapid knocking. I rolled over and closed my eyes but the knocking continued. In aggravation, I sat up and instantly regretted the fast movement. My head still aches. The room was spinning and I thought I was going to puke.

"Geo? Hey Geo, are ya in there?" A muffled voice yelled.

That voice. "Must be Zazu." I muttered and stood up. He called out again and I answered him in a gruff, hoarse, voice. "Shut up, I'm coming already."

I stepped in something and slid across the floor on one foot, nearly accomplishing the splits, a feet I would have really rather not inadvertently attempted. I looked over to discover what the substance I'd slipped in was and my face paled. I continued on my way and when I reached the door, I pressed the button to slide it back just enough for me to poke my head out.

"What?"

The young mechanic took a step back and waved his hand in front of his face. "Good God! What's that horrible smell?"

"Don't ask."

"Too late. I already did."

I clutched my head again and put all my weight on the door. "I'm not doing so well."

"You haven't been doing so well since we last visited Cephiro. That's nearly two months Geo." Two months? I wondered. It had only been two months? That couldn't be right. The voyage from Cephiro to Autozam usually took at least two and a half. "What's wrong Geo?"

"It's not important. I'm just a little depressed." I informed him.

"Tshh! What have you got to be depressed for? I just lost the chance to ask out a cute, little, red headed babe."

Hikaru. My eyes narrowed. I hate that girl. I hate that girl. I hate that girl! God damn you Lantis. "Zazu I'm tired. Can we talk latter," My voice was dull and lacked much emotion.

"Did you send out the report?"

"Report?" What was he talking about? There was a click. "Oh shit! No I didn't! I totally forgot about it!" I left the door and ran like mad searching for it. Where was it? It's had be here somewhere. I shouldn't even have to send out the fucking report. Eagle's dad was there. He already knew what state Cephiro and his son were in, and he'd attended the conference himself.

"Uh, Geo?"

Papers flew all about as I continued my search. I felt dizzy but I forced myself to continue.

"Geo!"

I winced in pain. "Damn it Zazu can't you see I've got a hang over!"

"Yes I can see that. Further more I can smell it. But that's not the point!" I winced again at the raise in his voice. "The point is that the report is over there!"

"Over where?"

"On your table."

I looked over that way and sure enough, there was the report. I made my way over to the table and picked it up. There was a tear on the first page and on the last few pages, the bottom right corners were soaked. Stinking of alcohol, but I didn't have time to think about that. I had to hand it in-Good god, it felt like someone beat me over the head with a sledgehammer. I headed back to the door where Zazu was standing and he suddenly held out one of his white, gloved hands.

"Let me take it. You're not ready for human contact yet." He snatched the report out of my hand and looked over it, then sighed. "I'll take care of it. You just . . ." He looked me over and he cringed. "You just go and clean yourself up. And for god sakes clean this apartment! It smells like someone died in here."

Again I winced. "Thanks." I slid the door shut as he left and I leaned my forehead against the cold mechanical door. I just had to stop in that liquor store the night before didn't I? No. But you did so you could drown your problems and forget. But you didn't forget did you? No. I just distorted the memory for a while.

I raised my hand and touched the tears cascading my face. I studied the drop on my finger. I was crying again. Damn it.

My hand fell to my side and I made my way over to on of my kitchen cabinets. I pulled it open and reached for my medicine box. I rooted through it until I came across a bottle of aspirin. I shook out two tablets and tossed them to the back of my mouth and swallowed.



Sometime later, I took a soak in the bath. The medicine had kicked in a short while ago and I was able to bring myself to clean the disaster area that was my apartment. My head still ached but it was considerably less painful as compared to when Zazu was by. I rubbed between my eyes and splashed the near scolding water over the goose bumped skin above. Then I dipped back and soaked my hair. I ran my fingers through it, pulling my mess of hair back and to the side and I stared absently at the tiling.

I sat up slightly. Reached over and retrieved my communicator from the side of my pants, which were currently on the floor. I clicked in Zazu's number. There was a long pause before he answered.

"Zazu here."

"Did you deliver the report?"

"Yup. Done and over with for the time being."

I laid back into the warm water. "Ah, good. That's good to hear."

"Hey, are you okay? You seem out of it. Is something bothering you?" I heard a small gasp, "You aren't doing drugs are you?"

"I'm not on any narcotics, no."

"What's with the big words?"

I smiled. "I like the way it sounds."

"You're bazaar."

"T'is the curse of Metro."

"Yeah. Yeah. So what's up? You don't generally drink-at least not like how I expect you were drinking last night."

I shrugged. "Felt like the thing to do."

There was a pause. "Is that all you wanted to talk about Geo?"

"Are we good friends?"

Zazu didn't even hesitate to answer. "Of course we are."

"Doesn't it feel different?"

"What do your mean?"

"I duno. Me, you, Eagle. Does it feel like we're drifting apart?"

There was a sound of contemplation emitted from Zazu, "I don't think so. I mean yeah we don't spend half as much time with Eagle now as we used to but that's kinda because we have obligations and work and Eagle, Eagle has Cephiro now. He has Lantis and the time he needs to get better."

I smiled. Zazu has such a simple mind. I don't mean it as an insult. I actually quite admire him for it. "Maybe I'm just thinking too much about it."

"Probably."

It's so much easier to accept things the way they are and not do unnecessary digging. Sometimes I wish I could be like that, simple and happy and carefree.

"Wanna do something later?"

"Like what?"

"I dunno. I just wanna hang."

"Can we not do it at your place though?"

My eyebrows twitched. "Hey wise guy! I cleaned my place. It's so clean now, you actually need sun glasses to protect your eyes from the bright sparkles!"

He broke out into a fit of giggles. "Whatever you say man."

"Oh, shut up!"
 
Don't you hate it when you don't have something overly witty to say?

"How 'bout the new restaurant that just opened up?"

I debated it for a moment. "Yeah, okay. But we're walking there."

"Awe, come on. Do you know how long a walk that is?"

"We were given legs for a reason."

I could hear grumbling on his end, followed by a sharp unpleased "fine".

"What's the time now?"

"Seventeen hundred."

Always using military hours,"Let's meet up for Seven o'clock."

"'Kay." With that he broke off the communication link, and I returned to relaxing in the tub.
 
TBC