Mahou Sensei Negima! Fan Fiction ❯ Miscalculation ❯ Chapter 14

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Kotaro slunk through the tall, thick grass on hands and knees, a feral grin on his face. He was part of a sparring group with Kaede, Asuna, Ku and Setsuna who were playing a form of hide and ambush in the large expanse of rolling prairie in the `grassland dome' as they Ala Alba called this particular dome. The thick, strong grass was neck-high on him when standing, but crawling, he could sneak closer to his target. Kaede had explained that this kind of training helped with both offense and defense, as while you were stalking the others, they were stalking you, and you could never know if you were going to be attacking from ambush or defending as the ambushed party.
 
He had seen Setsuna soaring far away in the distance, and had heard Kaede and Ku both in that direction, so he assumed that they were in close proximity to the winged girl, who was clearly watching something, as the glint from her sword shone clearly, even at the distance she was. His nose, however, had detected Asuna much closer to him. And even now, he was following her scent through the grass, periodically pausing to make sure that he wasn't being set up by the unexpectedly capable girl.
 
He could tell that he was getting closer to her, as her scent was stronger. Slowing to move with complete silence, he slowly drew closer to her. All too aware of what she could do I given half a chance, he crept closer and closer, using his nose, ears and eyes to full advantage. Though the tall grass, he caught sight of run-off depression ahead, and on the edge of it, just a glimpse of Asuna's shirt. So, she is looking to wait for one of us to come along this wash, then jump us from ambush, eh? he thought, deciding on his strategy.
 
Moving down the wash, he found a place where he could move to the side Asuna was one without being seen and skittered across. Cutting a wide circle, he moved around her, looking for any signs of trickery from the girl. Not finding any, he circled closer, crawling now on his belly. Her scent grew stronger as he got closer. Nearly an hour later, he was within striking distance. Through the screen of grass, he could see the back of her shirt and her shorts, the rest of her obscured by the grass as she crouched by the edge of the wash.
 
Gathering himself carefully, he sprang his ambush, leaping onto Asuna's crouched body. “You shouldn't try to beat a wolf at his own games, Asuna!” he crowed, wrapping up the girl. Kotaro blinked as he realized that what he had grabbed was too light and insubstantial to be the girl. Unwrapping his arms from around her, he found that he was holding a bunch of grass stuffed into Asuna's shirt and shorts. A scarecrow! he realized, too late.
 
“Who's trying to beat you at your own game, mongrel?” came a mocking voice as an arm grabbed his shirt at the back of his neck and jerked him into the wash. Kotaro grabbed his shirt and tore it, freeing himself so he could land facing the girl. Asuna tossed his shirt aside and rushed him, wearing nothing more than panties, her Pactio card riding at her hip, tucked into her underwear. “I'm just using your habits against you,” she breathed, attacking him. Kotaro blocked, sidestepped and pivoted to avoid her combo before coming around and going on the offensive.
 
Asuna avoided the first counter-punch, dropped below the follow-up kick and scissored his support leg. Kotaro rolled with the sweep, moving into her, and brought his shoulder into her stomach, knocking her off balance. Asuna fell back, allowing herself to roll backward on her back before coming up again. Kotaro had flowed forward and was in her face again.
 
When he came at her with punch, she wrapped up the arm and pulled hard, drawing him directly into her. Hooking a foot behind his rear heel, she twisted and advanced, using a take-down she had learned the hard way from Setsuna. Kotaro had expected her to strike rather than grapple, and with his rear leg blocked, he had no recourse as he tumbled to the ground, Asuna on top of him. Before he could wiggle free, Asuna grabbed his tail with one hand, and one of his ears with the other, swinging astride his back. “Give up,” she said, pulling on her hand-holds.
 
“That's cheating!” protested Kotaro, knowing that with such sensitive handholds, she could keep him pinned.
 
“No such thing,” Asuna said mockingly. “Isn't that what you told me?” she reminded him. “So give up already,” she repeated herself. Growling and cursing, Kotaro did so.
 
“I give,” he bit out. Asuna released her grip on his ear, and relaxed her grip on his tail, but didn't release it entirely. Kotaro frowned at that. “Hey, I said you won this round,” he reminded her.
 
“I know,” shrugged Asuna. “But I never really looked at your tail before,” she said. Her hand had a secure grip on it right at the base. “It's softer than I thought it would be,” she said, stroking it. She felt him twitch beneath him. “Sensitive?” she wondered.
 
“Yeah,” he said curtly.
 
“Sort of like Set-chan's wings,” murmured Asuna to herself. She loved to stroke the downy-soft feathers of her instructor in sword play's wings. Konoka also had a marked attraction to the snow-white wings her guardian and best friend had. “So, if someone grabs your tail, it makes it hard for you to fight them, doesn't it?” she guessed. “And unlike Set-chan, you can't retract your tail. Or can you?” she wondered.
 
“This is the most human form I have,” he muttered. “Will you stop playing with it, Asuna?!” he demanded. Asuna snickered.
 
“I suppose,” she said, standing. She kept her grip on the tip of his tail though. Kotaro turned over and sat up, flicking his ear as he did so. Asuna tugged on his tail teasingly.
 
“Quit that!” Kotaro said, grabbing her hand and forcing it off his tail. Asuna smirked, looking down at him. As she did so, she noticed something.
 
“Did my grabbing your tail turn you on?” she asked him, seeing a tent in his shorts. Kotaro scowled at her.
 
“No,” he denied. Asuna leered at him.
 
“Then what's this?” she asked, using her toe to rub his hard tool through his shorts. Kotaro pushed it away.
 
“It's nothing,” he replied truculently. “Besides, you're running around nearly naked,” he added.
 
“Oh, so it's because of me?” she giggled.
 
“No!” he denied hotly.
 
“Then why are you hard?” asked the girl. Kotaro growled.
 
“I'm not the only one!” he shot back. “I can smell you, you know!” reminded the wolf boy. Asuna blinked. Well, fighting does sort of get me going, thought the girl guiltily. For several moments neither said anything. Eventually, Asuna stretched.
 
“I'm going to get my clothes,” she said, moving toward the spot where her shirt and shorts were. Kotaro fell into step beside her.
 
“I'll give you a hand,” he said. She nodded her thanks. As they pulled the grass out of her shirt and shorts, Kotaro spoke up again. “It's not like you aren't pretty, you know,” he offered.
 
“I…um…thanks,” Asuna said, feeling a blush on her cheeks. “Were you aroused because of the tail thing or because I was nearly naked?” wondered the girl.
 
“Both,” Kotaro said casually. Asuna hummed.
 
“Say, Kotaro?” Asuna said, stepping into her shorts. “Are you going to let Eva feed off you?”
 
“If I have to, I guess so,” he replied. “Why?”
 
“Well, you are a type of demon, right?” Asuna said. Kotaro shrugged.
 
“Depends on your definitions,” he dismissed it.
 
“Well, Eva is a vampire, but can a vampire feed on a demon?” she wondered. Kotaro nodded.
 
“Pretty much, if it has blood, she can feed on it,” he said. “There are some exceptions and some suitability issues with certain types, but I think she could feed off me and Setsuna,” he mused. “Why the curiosity?” he repeated.
 
“Just trying to figure out what she's really up to,” Asuna said negligently.
 
“But, you are still going to let her feed off you, aren't you?” Kotaro pressed. Asuna nodded slowly.
 
“Yeah,” she said softly. “Well,” the girl said, changing the topic, “I'm hungry and thirsty, and the noise from the far side of the dome has calmed down, so let's got find the others and head to the main dome for some food and water, shall we?”
 
-
 
“Konoka, how are you feeling?”
 
The brunette turned to see Asuna approaching her. “I feel fine, Asuna,” replied the girl. “Why?”
 
“I have some reservations about Eva sucking our blood,” Asuna murmured softly, pausing by her roommate. Konoka smiled at her.
 
“It's fine,” said the girl. “I mean, yeah, it's a little weird at first, but nothing bad happened. Negi checked on me, Set-chan checked on me…nothing is wrong with me!” giggled the girl. Asuna hummed.
 
“Remember when Eva fed on Makie, Yuna and Akira? Way back when Negi was just getting started at Mahora? Her bite did something to them, and those three became her servants,” Asuna worried. Konoka frowned.
 
“What are you talking about, Asuna?” wondered the girl. Asuna blinked. Oh! She didn't know about that!
 
“Nothing,” Asuna said, waving it off. “It was just something that happened right before I made my Pactio with Negi,” she explained. “Forget about it,” she urged Konoka. The granddaughter of the dean shrugged.
 
“If you say so, Asuna. So, you and Set-chan feeding Eva tonight?” asked the girl with devilish delight. Asuna sighed.
 
“Looks that way,” she agreed. “Unless Eva wants Kotaro,” she added hopefully.
 
“I have no interest in that mongrel mutt boy,” came the arrogant voice of the mistress of the Resort. “Unless it is as junk food,” she added, smiling a sharp-toothed smile at the boy, who was sitting with Negi at the table, wolfing down food. “So, see you and the winged girl in my room tonight?” purred Eva, licking her lips and sharp, sharp fangs.
 
“We'll see,” replied Asuna, uncomfortable with the situation. Something about Eva is just a little creepy when her fangs are out, thought the girl. Eva moved off to torment another of the group, and Konoka also moved off to talk to Set-chan, who was talking with Ku about the sparring they had done.
 
“You are nervous about feeding Eva,” came a soft voice from beside her. Asuna flinched, turning to see Kaede standing at her elbow.
 
“Yeah,” Asuna admitted. Kaede looked at her.
 
“That's a reasonable course of action,” the ninja surprised her. “She is plotting something, though what it might be I have no idea,” the tall girl said. Asuna pursed her lips.
 
“She's always plotting something though, isn't she?” challenged Asuna.
 
“Do you think she is truly one of us, or just using us?” asked Kaede. Asuna considered that very carefully.
 
“I think,” Asuna paused for a moment before nodding slowly to herself. “I think when it comes down to the wire, she is one of us,” the girl said. “Look at how much she has changed in the time since Negi came here, compared to how she was before,” argued the Baka Ranger Red to her fellow Baka Ranger Blue.
 
“True,” allowed the taller of the pair, “but remember, we didn't know her secrets before, either. One like her doesn't live long by being squeamish,” warned the ninja. Asuna considered that.
 
“Well, what can we do, Kaede?” wondered Asuna. The ninja shrugged.
 
“Not much,” admitted the girl candidly, “but sometimes, just keeping the facts in mind is enough,” was her suggestion. Patting Asuna's shoulder, she moved off to get some food. Asuna mulled over the conversation in her mind. Five minutes later, she had made her choice. Moving away from the group, she went in search of someone to answer some questions for her.
 
She found that person changing the sheets on Eva's pillow-bed. “Chachamaru,” Asuna said, entering the room. The gynoid looked up at her.
 
“Asuna,” she replied. “Mistress isn't here right now,” she pointed out.
 
“Which is why I am here right now,” Asuna said. “I know you are her partner and all, but I need to ask you a couple of questions, and I need a straight answer out of you. Deal?” Asuna said. Chachamaru considered her proposal.
 
“If I can,” the robot girl decided.
 
“Eva is planning something,” stated Asuna. “I know you won't tell me what she is planning, so I won't even waste time asking. What I want to know is does her plan threaten us or the others in Negi's class?”
 
“Threaten?” wondered Chachamaru.
 
“Endanger, risk, compromise - take your pick. Is her plan going hurt us or the other members of our class, Chachamaru?” Asuna pressed forward implacably.
 
Nearly a half minute passed before Chachamaru answered her. “I do not believe so,” said the magi-mechanical girl.
 
“But you aren't sure,” Asuna worried. Tilting her head, the inorganic considered the issue.
 
“I am not completely certain, no,” she shared her conclusion, “however, I see no reason to think that Mistress has any ill will or intent toward the Wings or her other classmates.” Asuna hummed, thinking.
 
“You once said that Eva had mellowed,” Asuna recalled. “How mellow would you say she is now, compared to when you said that to me?”
 
“Mistress has calmed down significantly since the first time we fought,” Chachamaru said, “but I do not think that she is truly any more mellow than she was then.”
 
“She's reverting?”
 
“No,” came the immediate reply of Chachamaru. “She is not reverting to the old Eva, but since the formation of the White Wings, she has regained much of her edge. Before Negi arrived, Mistress was consumed with bitterness and her plans for revenge. Since then, however, she has stopped obsessing over her situation, and focused more on the development of Negi as her apprentice, as well as with the development of the Wings as a team and a fighting group.”
 
Asuna sighed. This is going in circles, she thought unhappily. “You seem troubled by something, Asuna,” Chachamaru noted. Looking the robot in the eyes, Asuna asked the question at the core of her concerns.
 
“Can I trust her, Chachamaru?”
 
“That is something you must decide for yourself, Asuna,” Chachamaru said quietly.
 
-
 
“Did you notice?!” whispered Haruna to Nodoka and Yue. The three were eating supper along with most of the rest of the Wings. Even within the group, there were sub-groups. The front line and second-line members tended to group together, and within in the those groups, sub-groups were seen. The library trio were one of the most consistent groups.
 
“Notice what?” wondered Yue.
 
“Chisame's card! It's silver lined now!” hissed Haruna. The other two blinked at the glasses-wearing girl.
 
“When did you see that?” wondered Nodoka. Haruna grinned.
 
“She stopped by the bath just before lunch,” the tallest of the trio whispered, “and I saw her card when she rinsed off. Silver lined, just like Konoka's, Setsuna's and Asuna's cards,” she repeated. Yue and Nodoka exchanged looks. “Bet she's got the same boost that the other three have,” suggested Haruna. Unconsciously, all three slipped out their Pactio cards, looking at them..
 
“A…adeat,” whispered Nodoka, activating her card. Flipping open her book, she fixed her gaze on Chisame, her book in her lap. “Chisame,” called Nodoka, “did something happen today?” she asked.
 
“Wha…um, not really,” Chisame - clearly thinking about something else - replied. Nodoka lowered her gaze and looked at her book. Swallowing a surprised shriek, the girl slammed her artifact closed and deactivated it. From the beet-color staining her face and neck, the other two knew that she had gotten something off the newest member of the Silver Pactio club.
 
“What is it?!” demanded Haruna, sotto voice. Nodoka shook her head mutely.
 
“Nodoka?” prompted Yue. Again, the blushing girl didn't answer. Thoughtfully, Yue considered what could make Nodoka act like that, as well as how it could relate to the silvering of a Pactio card. Minutes later, she hit upon a logical answer. “Chisame and the others have done something with Negi, haven't they?” she murmured to Nodoka. “Something that deepened the Pactio bond they share with him. Since the Pactio is sealed with a kiss, to deepen it would logically mean that something more intimate than a kiss would be required. More intimate than a kiss would mean intimacy,” she announced. Nodoka squirmed, but somehow managed a nod.
 
“Like what? Second base? Third, maybe?” wondered Haruna eagerly. Yue looked at her, her expression dispassionate as always.
 
“Doubtful,” she said. “Negi had done what amounts to all the line bases at one time or another with us, and yet our cards remain normal. I think it's…home base, grand slam,” she adapted her suspicion to baseball terminology. Haruna squeaked in eager excitement.
 
“Is that true, Nodoka?! Is that what happened?” she demanded of the shy girl, grabbing her shoulders and shaking her slightly. Jerkily, Nodoka nodded. A huge smile spread across Haruna's lips. “Well, we know what we must do then, girls!” she proclaimed grandly.
 
“But…!” squeaked Nodoka, on the verge of passing out from imagining such an act.
 
“I agree with Nodoka,” Yue offered, color on her own cheeks. “This isn't something we should just rush into headlong, Haruna,” chided the smallest of the group. Especially Nodoka and I, she left unsaid. Nodoka is not exactly ready for that step emotionally, while I'm concerned about physical issues. Like rather or not I'd be able to take him without tearing something delicate, the girl thought pragmatically. Neither hurdle was something to be ignored, in her book.
 
“But the others…!” protested Haruna. Yue fixed her with a steady look.
 
“The others make their own decisions, Haruna,” Yue said, “and so will we,” added the overly-serious chibi of the trio.
 
“But what if the others beat us to mark?!” protested Haruna. “What if we get left out?”
 
“Left out how?” wondered Yue.
 
“Well, maybe like if Negi reaches his limit or something,” Haruna argued.
 
“Unlikely,” countered Yue. “There is nothing to suggest that such a thing would happen, and even less to believe it could become an issue in this regard.”
 
“Well, what if he loses interest in us with the other Wings going silver?” supposed Haruna. Yue frowned slightly.
 
“I suppose that could happen, though I can't think of anything to suggest that such a thing would happen, either,” she allowed. Hmm, could be something to that; especially with Nodoka and I, she privately worried. She was fully aware of her lack of physical development and Nodoka's lagging emotional development in this area. We're both lagging behind in one way or another, the girl thought unhappily.
 
“So, we need to strike preemptively!” Haruna demanded.
 
“What you three need is to concentrate on developing your skills,” came a dangerous voice from behind them. Turning, they saw the smirking form of Eva standing just behind them. “If you do not develop your abilities, you will fall behind the others in even more ways,” the vampiress tormented them.
 
“Eva's right,” Yue said levelly.
 
“And as for the other matter,” Eva added, a hand dropping on the shoulders of Nodoka and Yue as she spoke, “I think you are worrying over nothing. After all, I have been where you two are, you know,” the girl whispered in their ears. Before she leaned back, she licked both girl's earlobes.