Mahou Sensei Negima! Fan Fiction ❯ Miscalculation ❯ Chapter 39

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Konoka fastened her skirt, glancing over at Asuna, who was looking for a top to go with her own skirt. The two had come from the baths to the room, where Negi had swiftly dressed before hurrying off. He had planned to wait and have breakfast with the girls, but they had reminded him that it would be better if he were `unavailable' if any of the girls who had heard the rumors wanted to talk with him. So, he had pulled on some shorts, grabbed a tee shirt, and dashed off. Kaede had been waiting for him, dressed in a pair of shorts and a tee shirt herself, a small pack on her back.
 
With their partner out of harms way, the girls had dressed much more leisurely, quietly discussing what they should do about the leak. Now, almost dressed, they were about to head out to find some breakfast themselves when Konoka's cell phone rang. Picking up the call, she gave a delighted squeal, capturing Asuna's attention. Hearing Konoka's half of the conversation, she put back the top she had been planning to wear and selected another. Shrugging into it, she tugged on it to settle it comfortably before moving over to Konoka's small closet and selecting a blouse to go with the skirt her friend, teammate and roommate already wore. Smiling, she helped Konoka into the blouse, the girl still talking on her cell phone. As Konoka finished the conversation, Asuna swiftly buttoned Konoka's blouse and ran her hands along the other girl's clothes, smoothing and straightening as she went.
 
“I take it we'll be dining with your father?” she grinned as Konoka closed her cell phone.
 
“Yep! He's in Mahora on business, and was calling from the lobby!” chirped the girl. Asuna smiled at her friend's enthusiasm. She didn't necessarily understand what Konoka felt, since she had no memory whatsoever of parents or family. Still, Konoka's happiness at her father coming to see her made her feel good, so what did it matter?
 
“Hey, you should wear your hair in a ponytail,” Asuna suddenly suggested, her own hair up in its normal twin-tails-with-bells style. Konoka usually wore her hair loose down her back, and it was like that at that very moment. Konoka glanced at Asuna before shrugging.
 
“Sure, why not?” smiled the girl. Asuna snagged a hair band with one hand, gathering Konoka's long, fine dark brown hair with the other. Ten seconds later, Konoka was looking at her reflection. “That looks pretty good,” she approved. Turning toward the door, she grabbed both their purses, tossing Asuna's to her. “Let's go!” she urged.
 
“What about Set-chan?” Asuna wondered. “Shouldn't she…?”
 
A knock on the door answered that question. Konoka giggled at Asuna's expression. “See?” she breathed, leaning into Asuna and kissing her cheek.
 
“And you didn't even need the telepathy, either,” Asuna smiled. “Amazing,” she shook her head.
 
“'Course not - it's Set-chan!” Konoka said, opening the door. Outside the door, the two found Setsuna waiting, her covered sword in hand.
 
“Daddy's here, and he's buying us breakfast, Set-chan!” chirped Konoka, instinctively lunging forward to kiss her Set-chan on the lips briefly. Asuna spotted a girl from three classes over blink at the open display of affection. A frown from her made the other girl scurry off.
 
“Control, Konoka-chan,” murmured Asuna, giving their healer's shoulder a gentle squeeze. Konoka stuck her tongue out at Asuna before giving a soft giggle. Leading the two front-liners down the hall toward the stairs, Konoka made sure that her Pactio was tucked securely into her top. Asuna and Setsuna also habitually checked that their cards were secure and close to hand.
 
Emerging in to the lobby, the spotted Konoka's father easily, the man dressed in a suit instead of the formal outfit he had worn in the temple at Kyoto. Even though he was wearing a suit much like the senior teachers at the school wore, there was no way anyone would mistake him for a teacher at the school. It surprised Asuna that she was sizing him up as a potential adversary automatically.
 
Eishun is a master Shinmei-ryu swordsman, and one of Nagi's Ala Rubra group, so there isn't a chance I could take him with my sword, she found herself thinking, but I wonder if I used Kanka to boost my strength and speed and kept off-side to him if I could work him into making a mistake? wondered the primary partner. What would Negi do against him? Probably not rush in, since I doubt that even Negi's barrier could protect him from Eishun's sword. Would he use lightening or wind spells to soften him up before using one of those killer combos that Eva routinely pounds him with? I wonder… she shook those thoughts aside.
 
“Daddy!” Konoka squealed, throwing herself into his embrace. Eishun laughed softly, hugging his daughter.
 
“Kono-chan,” he said, stroking her head. “I think you've grown some,” he noted, patting her head. Konoka beamed at him.
 
“Of course I have!” she eagerly blurted out. “And I have been honing my skills, too!” she added, glancing around briefly, taking note of the girls from other classes and other years in the lobby.
 
Looking over Konoka's head, he nodded to Asuna. “Asuna-chan,” he greeted her.
 
“Elder Konoe,” Asuna returned politely, giving him a shallow bow. He glanced at Setsuna.
 
“Setsuna,” he nodded to her as well.
 
“Elder, you need not bow to one such as I…” protested Setsuna.
 
“Nonsense!” pouted Konoka. “You're my best friend and bodyguard, and practically a family member!” insisted the daughter.
 
“I…!” Setsuna blushed.
 
“Setsuna,” Eishun said, giving the half-demon a smile, “you have proven yourself time and again. I am proud to speak to you.” Setsuna blushed a little more, bowing to him. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Asuna smiling easily at her. “So, how hungry are you girls?” he asked them, Konoka happily falling into step at his side, Asuna and Setsuna just behind the pair.
 
In short order, the four of them were sitting in one of the European-style cafes that dotted Mahora, enjoying a mixed cuisine breakfast over tea and coffee. Eishun chatted with all three about classes, classmates, and what was going on in their lives. In turn, Konoka and Setsuna asked about people they knew in Kyoto, and about how things were doing at the head of the Kansai Magic Association. Asuna didn't speak as much, listening instead.
 
“So, Asuna,” Eishun said, interrupting some stray thoughts in her mind, “I understand that you three are part of some sort of club. What kind of club is it?” he asked.
 
“Oh, it's the English Culture Research Club,” she said, giving the official name of Ala Alba. “It's one of the smaller clubs on campus,” she laughed. “Just a few of us from class and Negi,” she passed it off.
 
“And Evangeline McDowell, right?” he asked before sipping his coffee.
 
“Eva is our honorary advisor, daddy,” Konoka offered.
 
“Oh? How are things going with her and Negi?” asked Eishun.
 
“It's going great!” Konoka smiled. Asuna was watching Eishun, a strange, tickly feeling in the back of her mind. Konoka, be careful what you say, she thought to her friend, using their telepathic link, I have a strange feeling that something isn't right here, explained Asuna. Konoka's expression didn't change.
 
A strange feeling, Asuna? she thought back. Like what? wondered the brunette.
 
I don't know, thought back Asuna, but something isn't right about this conversation. I figure better off safe than sorry, you know?
 
I agree, Ojou-sama, Setsuna's telepathic voice joined the conversation. The interest he is showing does not fit with a casual visit. Prudence is advised.
 
Konoka sipped her tea, looking at her two friends. But, why would daddy…? she wondered.
 
I don't know, Asuna said, also sipping her tea, eyes locked with Konoka. Maybe something happened, maybe it's because he and Eva have some history between them from back in Nagi's day, or perhaps it is because she is a wanted criminal, but in any event, we need to be careful who we tell what about us, insisted Asuna.
 
For a long moment, Konoka gazed into Asuna's eyes, occasionally turning to look Setsuna in the eyes. Nearly a minute later, she closed her eyes. Ok, she said quietly via their telepathic link. Asuna wanted to sigh. She understood that Konoka had just made a difficult choice. She was going to deliberately deceive her father, which meant that her choice between her father and the Wings had been in favor of the Wings - and Negi.
 
“Has Evangeline been falling back into her evil ways?” Eishun asked.
 
“I don't know that I really believe she was ever actually evil,” Asuna shrugged. “She's a bully, yes - and ruthless, without a doubt. But really, truly, evil? I don't see it,” she said. “And neither does Negi,” she added quietly.
 
“I guess that is reasonable, since none of you were around before Nagi sealed her with that curse,” Eishun said. “We - Nagi, Al and myself - saw her handiwork several time, so you will understand if I am a little skeptical about her new leaf,” he politely disagreed.
 
“As a teacher, I have never had a better one,” Asuna said quietly, watching him. “Under her instruction, we have all grown in our skills at a rate that even we can't always believe,” the girl said.
 
“Maybe what they say about evil masters being the best instructors is true,” Eishun replied. “What sort of things has she been teaching you all?”
 
“Control, mostly,” Setsuna supplied. “She doesn't do a lot of hands-on teaching, since she considers herself too good for that. Usually, she acts a lot like our dojo's senior instructors do - overseeing our individual development under the guidance of others, and only stepping in when necessary,” she said.
 
“As a high daylight walker vampire, she can't teach healing, right?” he pressed carefully.
 
“Of course not,” Asuna waved that off. “But her library does contain some helpful guides for Konoka to study in learning how to develop her skills,” added the girl.
 
“Is she teaching any spells to Negi?” Eishun wondered. “Being the son of the Thousand Master, she is probably snubbing him,” he chuckled.
 
“She has taught him a few of Nagi's better combos,” Asuna said, Konoka nodding. “But other than that, she just makes him develop his skills under her supervision - usually by having him work with Chachamaru or one of us.”
 
“Chachamaru is an active member of your group?” he asked. Asuna slid a glance to Konoka.
 
“Only occasionally,” the girl said. “Usually, she just serves us drinks, fixes meals, and waits on Eva hand and foot,” the girl said, smiling easily.
 
“And she hasn't tried to feed off you all, of course,” Eishun laughed easily.
 
“Of course not; don't be silly,” Asuna cut in smoothly - and immediately. “She sometimes threatens us with that, but…” she shrugged, “she's a bully, so what do you expect?”
 
“Why so interest in our club, daddy?” asked Konoka. He laughed, waving a hand in front of his face.
 
“Just curious, since Konoemon mentioned how wrapped up in your club you all were,” he dismissed the topic. “I'm probably just a being an over-protective father,” he offered, Konoka giggling softly.
 
“Well, that's understandable,” Asuna said, eyes on the man.
 
“You are partnered with Negi, aren't you, Asuna-chan?” he asked after eating a few links of the sausage on his plate. She nodded, working on her scrambled eggs. “You don't leave him alone with her - Evangeline - do you?”
 
“No,” Asuna replied. “And before you ask, we don't leave Konoka alone, either,” she predicted his next question. “Not that they are at risk from her,” added the girl. Eishun paused for a moment, looking at the three before falling back to eating.
 
“Well, that's a relief,” he said. “So, how are your classes going?” he asked the group. The rest of the meal, there was no more talk about Ala Alba. When they finally left the diner, having lingered over final cups of tea and coffee, Eishun watched the three depart to do some shopping. Sighing, he pulled out his cell phone, dialing a number.
 
“Yeah, it's me,” he said when the call connected. “I need a favor,” he continued, “do you have a number I can get in touch with Takamichi at?” Moments later, he ended that call, dialing another - much longer - number from memory. Moving along the streets, he hurried toward his destination. After several rings, his second call connected. “Takamichi?” he asked.
 
“Do you know what time it is over here?” came a sleepy, grumpy voice.
 
“Ask me if I care,” Eishun grinned. Been a while since we talked like teammates, he recalled, feeling a little nostalgic. “How fast can you get back to Mahora?” he asked.
 
“Well, I'm more or less done here for the moment,” Takamichi said, coming more alert. “And why Mahora? Aren't you calling from Kyoto?”
 
“I'm in Mahora right now. I need you back here. Something is going on, and it could get a little noisy,” Eishun murmured, jumping aboard a rail car.
 
“Noisy? The Dean should be handling anything like that…” Takamichi began slowly.
 
“It's not that simple,” Eishun murmured.
 
“Make it simple, Eishun,” Takamichi shot back. “Between you, the Dean, and the staff, there shouldn't be anything there that could make you call me in the middle of the night, sounding scared,” he noted.
 
Eishun debated what to say to that. Scared? Yes, I guess I am a little scared of what could happen here, the man mused. It has been years and years since I felt real fear like this, too, he realized. Hearing Takamichi's voice over the phone, he shook those thoughts aside. “What was that, Takamichi?” he said.
 
“I said, it isn't a visit from the grey-haired boy and his friends, is it?” Takamichi wondered. “I know he did a job on you all in Kyoto, but Negi and his friends managed to shut that boy down,” the trouble-shooter guessed.
 
“No,” Eishun said, watching the street signs pass. Impatient, he jumped off the still-moving rail car, striding down a side street to cut off two blocks on his trip. “It could be much worse than that,” he quietly stated.
 
“Worse?” he could hear the skepticism in Eishun's voice.
 
“The last person Nagi cursed has broken the curse,” Eishun said. One heart-beat, two heart-beats passed.
 
“I'm on the next flight back,” Takamichi said, the phone going dead.
 
-
 
In her cabin, Eva was enjoying some tea with Chachamaru and debating what she wanted to do that day. Her mood was good as she considered her progress in her plans. “Mistress?” wondered Chachamaru, seeing Eva smiling smugly.
 
“I'm feeling very good today,” Eva explained. “My plans are coming along nicely, and the girls are developing into a powerful group,” boasted Eva.
 
Her good mood was not going to last, though. Feeling a small ward trigger, she frowned. “What is it, Chachazero?” she said after murmuring the spell to let her talk to her oldest doll in the Resort.
 
“The ermine is gone,” Chachazero reported. Eva scowled.
 
“Gone? What do you mean, gone? Gone where?” wondered Eva, rising.
 
“I don't know,” Chachazero said. “I went out to get some more wine, and when I came back, it looked like the rat was still passed out in the corner, but when he didn't move when I poked him, I got suspicious. It was a simple - and pretty crude - golem. I checked the entire room, but he's not here. What should I do?” Chachazero asked. “Can I catch him and skin him for an ermine stole?” asked the puppet eagerly.
 
“Have your sisters help you. Take the dome apart inch by inch,” directed Eva, moving toward the basement. “I'm coming down to check the other domes and the teleport circle personally,” the blonde mistress nearly snarled. “Find him, catch him, and hold him,” ordered Eva. How did he escape in the first place? wondered Eva.
 
“Mistress?” asked Chachamaru. Eva stopped cold, an idea forming in her head. Turning to the gynoid, she smiled a sharp-fanged smile.
 
“Chachamaru, I want you to go to Negi. Keep an eye on him for me,” she said. Chachamaru nodded. “Delay his return to Mahora by whatever means you need to,” added Eva. “I will contact you when I have new orders for you. Oh, and don't say anything to the other girls about this,” added the mistress. Once more, a bow from the robot girl.
 
Eva hurried down to the Resort, activating her pass-key spell that would allow her to enter and leave at any point she wished. Chachamaru pinged Negi's badge to find his location, and moved off in the opposite direction. In the empty cabin, the phone rang several times before falling silent.