Mahou Sensei Negima! Fan Fiction ❯ Miscalculation ❯ Chapter 47

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Eva and Chachamaru reached the church. Looking around, they spotted a figure beckoning to them from the doors to the office. Eva's eyes narrowed a little, seeing the figure. The person was wearing a cloak, but it didn't keep her from identifying them. Moving over to the tall figure, she scowled up at him.
 
“I thought you could only leave your sanctuary during the festival,” she said, her tone slightly spiteful.
 
“I can sometimes move limited distances from there,” shrugged the man. “And besides, I wanted to see you again, Kitty,” he smiled.
 
“How dare you call me that?!” snarled Eva, a kick flashing through the man's torso. As expected, he wasn't physically there. “Coward,” spat Eva, recovering fluidly from her kick.
 
“Why Kitty,” the man laughed easily, “such a thing to say to an old friend.”
 
“You are no friend of mine, Albireo,” snarled Eva. “You never were, either,” added the vampiress. The man didn't react. Eva's eyes narrowed slightly. “Still clinging to that stupid name, `Ku:nel Sanders'?” she needled.
 
“Yes, Kitty? Did you say something?” he smiled beatifically.
 
“That name suits you,” Eva smiled, fangs flashing, “chicken shit,” finished Eva. Albireo laughed ostentatiously.
 
“Such a precocious child, my Kitty,” he shot back. Eva's green eyes darkened, the green being replaced by crimson, the sclera turning black and the pupils slitting.
 
“Do you prefer crispy or deep fried?” asked Eva, raising her now-clawed hand.
 
Albireo laughed, slipping through the door. “I see your sense of humor is still lacking,” he chuckled. Eva snorted.
 
“I'll show you my humor,” she murmured, touching the door. It shattered instantly. Eva stepped inside, Chachamaru just behind her. She spotted Al waiting by a staircase. Seeing him wink at her, bared her teeth. Al disappeared down the stairs.
 
“Mistress,” murmured Chachamaru.
 
“I know,” Eva said, moving after Al. As she descended the dark stairs, she found herself smiling. Quite the astute choice, in fact, she thought. Of all the people she would enjoy killing, Albireo Imma was second to only Nagi Springfield. And since Albireo knows that I had an unresolved attraction to Nagi, it would make him number one on my list. Not bad, she mentally praised the choices so far made by the faculty.
 
At the bottom of the stairs, she saw Al waiting for her in the middle of a dimly-lit room. From the looks of things, it had once been a base for the Association. Doubtlessly, they had moved the operations to the new center, under the cathedral in the center of town. Now, this place was empty. Eva had to admit that her foes had done their homework on her. She moved forward, her frilly, lacy dress rustling softly as she did so. Chachamaru paced her silently.
 
She was barely ten paces from Al when the room was suddenly bathed in intense light. Below her feet, a spell circle flared to life. Eva grunted as the magical snare seized her. She could feel a barrier spring into existence as mages and swordsmen rushed into position. Eva chuckled softly. “My, my,” she said, amusement clearly in her voice, “we seem to have stepped into an ambush, Chachamaru.”
 
“Yes,” agreed Chachamaru, her tone void of any sort of emotion.
 
Eva scanned the room, a smirk on her lips. “Still pissing yourself in my presence, hmm, Eishun?” she called out. A moment later, Eishun appeared from a side room. The tall, scarred swordsman studied her and her partner, critically noting the heavy magical bindings on the two. Neither were struggling against their bonds. That fact made him feel uneasy for reasons he couldn't identify.
 
“Evangeline,” he said, absently toying with his sword, “we know you have broken the curse Nagi cast on you,” he told her. Eva said nothing. “We also know that you have passed through the barriers around this place, and that you hospitalized a magi and her Ministra in Tokyo.” Eva was still quiet, a faint sneer on her lips. “You are a wanted criminal, with the blood of thousands on your hands, and a bounty the likes of which has never been seen in either world.”
 
“And?” asked Eva insolently.
 
“We can't allow you to run free, Evangeline,” spoke up Gandolfini. “There is a telepathy shield over this room, and the barrier has been shifted from earth sequence to water sequence. You can't get away.”
 
“Why would I run from the likes of you rabble?” came her sneering reply. Eishun's feeling of disquiet was growing. This was not how Eva worked; ever. Something is not right here, he worried. She should have been struggling with all her might, but she hasn't made a single move. Even her personal key has not been activated, so she isn't even defending herself. This is not right…
 
“If you are expecting Negi to come to your aid, you are out of luck,” Toko spoke up from her position. “We sent the entire group to Kyoto. Even if you somehow contacted Negi, he can't get back in time to help you.”
 
“You don't say,” laughed Eva. “Let me guess: you sent Shizuna Minamoto to keep an eye on them.” Toko frowned.
 
“You knew,” murmured Toko. Her eyes met Eishun's eyes. Seeing her mentor in the arts of the blade's eyes, fear skittered along her spine. What didn't we think of?!
 
“I don't see the old goat here,” Eva noted calmly, looking around. “Are you acting without sanction, Eishun, or is he just running late?”
 
“Father knows about this,” Eishun said. But where is he? He should have been here by now. Unless… he fought to keep his expression bland and confident. Did Eva somehow manage to ambush him before coming here? But, if she did, why would she still come here?
 
“Takamichi, you might as well come out,” Eva called out, amused. “You should know that you cannot hide from me by simply staying out of my direct sight,” laughed the girl.
 
“Eva,” said the man, stepping into view. He had been guarding the steps, behind Eva. “You are looking well.”
 
“I didn't know you had tastes for such things,” laughed Eva. “Is that why you have not yet found a woman or partner?” teased the small blonde, who was currently so wrapped up in binding spells that she closely resembled a mummy. Takamichi shrugged.
 
“I'm young yet,” he said, not able to stop himself from smiling. Eva smiled.
 
“Indeed you are, Takamichi,” she agreed. Of all the former members of Ala Rubra, Takamichi was the closest to her. He had been the youngest, and the last to act under Nagi's direct instructions. Though she would kill - or at least seriously hurt - anyone who accused her of it, she actually had come to like him to some degree. “I hope you aren't still thinking that your job is to look after the lost princess or my apprentice; I have taken over that task…personally,” Eva said, a faint smirk on her lips. Takamichi could just make out the tip of a fang.
 
“Nagi didn't want you anywhere near them,” Eishun cut in. “He left A…the lost princess,” he edited himself, “in the care of the Konoe family, Negi with his cousin in England, and you bound to this campus.”
 
“Yes, the Konoe family,” purred Eva. “The family you joined by marriage. The family of the old goat whom Nagi personally asked to jail me here. And the best friend, classmate and confidante of Magnus, head of the magic school Negi attended. Strange how Negi's diploma sent him half way around the world, to this campus, where our princess and myself ended up, isn't it?”
 
Eishun was getting more and more nervous. Eva, debating me? Where is the murderous Queen of Dolls, who laid waste to an army in the magic world? Whose very name caused hardened mercenaries to piss themselves in terror? “Nagi's ideas were his own,” Eishun said. “Had it been me, I would have handled you differently,” he shared. Eva snorted.
 
“Had it been you, Eishun,” she retorted, “I would have handled you differently.” Her implication were clear. “I might still do just that,” she added a moment later. The entire room tensed up.
 
“You are bluffing,” Kataragi said, the man nervously smoking. He had reviewed the files on her, and had a very good picture of what the vampiress was capable of. Vampires are trouble no matter how you slice it, he thought uneasily, but she is a high daylight walker, magi and an accomplished akido user as well. God, I hope those capture spells are as strong as those Kansai mages claim they are!
 
“Am I?” asked Eva, green and white being replaced by crimson and black. To everyone's surprise, however, her attention turned back to Eishun. “Why not just say what is really on your mind, Eishun?” His minute twitch made her laugh. “You want to know if I have been feeding off your daughter and Negi, right? Isn't that what you have decided allowed me to break Nagi's curse?”
 
“Since you brought it up, have you?” challenged Eishun. Eva smiled a sharp-toothed smile.
 
“I decline to answer at this time,” she said. “Chachamaru, how long has it been?” asked the girl.
 
“Almost five minutes,” came the reply. The surrounding mages and fighters tensed.
 
“I don't know what you think will happen, Evangeline,” Eishun said, “but we can't afford to leave you loose any longer. Seal her,” he directed his mages. Four of his mages moved in, with two more from Mahora joining them. “You won't break free again, Evangeline,” Eishun promised her.
 
“We'll see,” was all Eva said.
 
-
 
“Negi?” asked Asuna, seeing their mage freeze in mid step. “What's wrong?” asked Asuna.
 
“I can't feel Mistress or Chachamaru any more,” Negi said, frowning. A moment later, he didn't look any happier. “And I can't reach either with telepathy, either.”
 
“Ok,” Asuna said. “What do you want us to do, Negi?” asked his primary partner. Moments passed, Negi deep in thought. After nearly a minute, he looked up to meet her gaze.
 
“We're going to check on them,” he said firmly. Asuna smiled at him. Everyone, meet me at the house, he called out with the group telepathy. Nearly immediately, the group answered. And it seemed that they were eager, too. Looking at his primary partner, he nodded to her, and the two ran off, full tilt.
 
Reaching the house of his father, he found the entire roster of the Wings waiting, even Kotaro - who didn't have a Pactio with him, and therefore no telepathy. To a person, the team looked eager. “What's the plan, Negi?” smiled Kaede.
 
“I can't get in touch with Eva or Chachamaru, and I want to check on them,” Negi explained.
 
“Ok,” agreed Asuna, “but how are you going to get back to Mahora?”
 
“Remember how I managed to teleport Sayo and myself back from Mistress's little test?” he asked. Asuna nodded. “Well, the same theory holds true here. I will just jump back to see if everything is ok with them,” he explained.
 
“Not alone, you won't,” said Asuna.
 
“It's probably just that she's in a shielded room or something,” Negi said, waving a hand.
 
“Probably, but we're not taking that chance,” Asuna said. “At least two of us are going with you,” she added.
 
“Wait,” Chisame said, her expression thoughtful. “There might be a better way to handle this,” explained the girl. Turning to Nodoka, she explained her idea. “Nodoka-chan, use your artifact on Shizuna. If something is going on back at Mahora, she should know about it, right?”
 
Nodoka blinked. “O…ok,” she said, activating her artifact and keying it to Shizuna. Her expression grew serious.
 
“They're planning to ambush Eva and Chachamaru,” she said tensely. Her eyes met Konoka's. “Your father is leading it, too,” she said apologetically. Konoka sighed.
 
“Oh, daddy…” she shook her head.
 
“What are we dealing with?” asked Asuna.
 
“They are planning to ambush her, and seal her up, sort of like that Count Wilhelm thing,” she explained.
 
“Why?” wondered Negi.
 
“Um, because Eva…broke Nagi's curse!” the girl blinked in surprise. Negi was surprised as well.
 
“Eva-chan broke my father's curse?” he breathed. “But, why…?” he trailed off, confused. Asuna hummed.
 
“Why not ask her yourself?” asked his primary partner. Negi's confused expression vanished, replaced with a look of determination. The Wing girls smiled; they knew that look well. Negi was ready to act.
 
“I will,” he said firmly. “I'm going to jump us to Mahora from here,” he said.
 
“And what of Shizuna? She should be considered an opponent,” Chisame reminded him.
 
“I know,” he said. “Kotaro, I'm leaving her to you,” he went on. Kotaro frowned.
 
“I'm not a babysitter, Negi,” he protested. “Besides, if you are going to end up in a fight…” Negi shook his head as he interrupted Kotaro's bid to join the fray.
 
“It's because I don't have a Pactio with you, Kotaro,” he began. “Also, I am going leave Natsumi, the sports quad girls, and Ayaka here with you. Keep Shizuna busy if you can, but if she finds out that we've left and tried to go after us, stop her. But don't hurt her, ok, Kotaro?”
 
Kotaro grunted. “Fine,” he muttered. “Not going to argue, blondie?” he asked Ayaka.
 
“No,” Ayaka said calmly. Her eyes flickered over to Asuna briefly. “I won't be much use to them in a fight, so Negi's decision makes sense,” she said. “Although, Negi,” she added, “perhaps you should leave Chisame, Yue, Nodoka, Haruna and Kazumi here. They are rear-line, and in a fight, you will be very busy with other matters. If you need them, you can summon them later, right?” she suggested.
 
“Good point, Ayaka,” Asuna interjected. Negi looked at the girls named, getting nods from them as well.
 
“Ok,” he accepted the revision. “While you are waiting, help keep Shizuna busy. Nodoka, use your artifact to stay a step ahead of her. Chisame, see if you can get into the Mahora magi-net. Yue, we might need your encyclopedia before this is said and done,” he finished up.
 
“Ok, Negi,” agreed the two in unison. Negi took a breath. Using a shortcut he had learned at the Resort, he activated his link to all his front-line girls.
 
“We're going in ready, just in case,” he said, murmuring his personal activation key. “Setsuna, you and Ku stay by Konoka, protect her,” he said. Both nodded. Focusing, Negi cast his spell, and an instant later, the bulk of the fighting force of the White Wings vanished from the house of Nagi Springfield, the Thousand Master.
 
-
 
Six mages began to cast the sealing spells that would - it was hoped - hold her for good. Eishun had just began to relax when he heard Eva snicker. “Now,” said the Vampiress.
 
“Adeat,” Chachamaru said. The mages froze in shock.
 
“A Pactio? With whom?!” gasped Eishun. Chachamaru didn't answer; verbally at least. Her shattering of the binding spell was answer enough.
 
“Interlocks released,” came her emotionless voice. “Full combat capability online,” she added, unloading a blindingly-fast punch that sent one of the Kansai mages flying backward. Before the man could even hit the wall, Chachamaru was moving on the next mage.
 
“Take her down!” yelled Eishun, swordsmen rushing the gynoid.
 
“Lic lac la lac lilac!”
 
Curse me for a fool! Eishun thought. Evangeline is the threat here, and I fell for her misdirection like a rookie! Dark purple energy flashed, and the luminescent white bonds of the magical traps holding Eva shattered. Eishun changed course, sword back, and headed straight for the feared criminal, who was hovering a few feet off the floor, a ragged back cape surrounding her.
 
“Tak, give me support!” yelled Eishun, swinging his sword.
 
“No! Don't rush her!” Takamichi yelled back. It was too late. His sword met another blade with a sharp ringing sound. Blinking, he found that Chachamaru had gotten between him and Eva, a glowing blade extruded from her arm. Raising her other arm, Chachamaru fired an arc of electrical energy, stunning the last of his Kansai mages. Twisting her upper arm, the android's arm blade cut through the steel of the sword in his hand.
 
“Molecular ionic blade,” said Chachamaru softly before palm-striking Eishun, sending the man skidding back. Shaking his head to clear it, he found that Chachamaru was defending herself and Eva against Takamichi, Toko and Gandolfini.
 
Thank god for ingrained fighting reflexes, he thought. He had thrown up a block just barely in time. Even so, he was sure that he would be feeling it by the evening. If I survive this fight, of course, he thought, seeing Takamichi get knocked over like a bowling pin before Toko was sent flying as well. Eva isn't fighting, realized Eishun. Why isn't she fighting?!
 
The answer to that appeared a moment later. Several magical teleportation circles flared, and the White Wings hit the deck, ready to party. Even as they materialized and looked around, Chachamaru was hammered to her knees by a barrage from Takamichi and Kataragi, though judging from the eldritch shield over her, it was unlike that the barrage would do her any real harm.
 
Albireo was quietly casting a spell, and a moment later, Eva crashed down, a heavy gravity spell forcing her down. Baring her teeth, Eva began a counter-spell. “Can't hold her long, Eishun,” came Al's quiet voice.
 
“Right,” Eishun said, picking up the sword of one of his fallen men. Raising the sword, he prepared to rush Eva again.
 
“Stop them,” rang out a voice. Nearly instantly, he found his path blocked. The figure was familiar; as was the sword they held.
 
“Setsuna, what are you…?” he began.
 
“Sorry, Elder,” was all the girl said before she struck. Eishun found himself forced back.
 
Takamichi was not doing much better. He had taken a hell of a shot from Chachamaru, and now, he was facing one of the most capable non-mage fighters around. Kaede's soft smile never left her lips as she closed on him like an avalanche. Three kanka `bullets' resulted in three shadow clones exploding, leaving shattered log sections in their wake.
 
“I've seen your skills,” came a whisper in his ear. Shit, she got behind me! he thought frantically, even as he felt her touch his arm.
 
“Evangeline!” screamed Toko, a little wobbly on her feet. Grasping her sword, she started toward the prime target. Her charge was stopped before it could begin by a blade of heroic size.
 
“Stop it, Toko-sensei,” Asuna urged her even as her huge blade stopped the teacher's sword. Seeing Toko shift her shoulder, Asuna knew Toko wasn't listening. “Sorry,” she said, doubling a fist and wrapping it in Kanka before slamming it into Toko's jaw. Good thing I've been working with Set-chan so much, or I wouldn't have caught that shift, thought the girl. Speaking of Konoka, she turned to check on the healer.
 
“Daddy! Stop this!” Konoka yelled at her father. Beside her, Ku dispatched Kataragi with three brutal body blows and a kick.
 
“Al! What are you doing?!” demanded Negi. Not seeing any reaction, Negi's lips thinned. “Rastil maskil magister,” he murmured his personal activation key.
 
“Together, my apprentice,” he heard Eva's voice in his ear. He instinctively knew what she was thinking of. He quickly chanted a spell, Eva doing the same. Sorry, Albireo, he thought, releasing the spell. Al gasped as Negi's spell slammed home.
 
“Reap it, Al,” Eva murmured darkly, releasing her spell. The shielded room shook as hurricane-force winds swept through it, lighting deafened and blinded the combatants and when it ended, Al was gone. “That ought to lay him up for a few years,” Eva smirked.
 
“Stop this - all of you!” boomed a voice. Blinking, the occupants of the room who were still able to stand looked to see the headmaster of the Kanto Magic Association in the door way. Broken doll parts were hanging off his torn robes, and the group could see smudges and bruises on his exposed flesh.
 
Stepping into the room, he was followed by several more Mahora mages, among them Sister Shakti, Mitsuru Nijuin and professor Akashi. Eva sniffed derisively. “This is the `B' team, then?” she sneered.
 
“Don't start with me, Evangeline,” warned the old man. Eva's expression didn't change.
 
“I give you the same message,” she said softly. Ah! This feeling…! I have missed it, she thought, almost intoxicated by being back at full power. In fact, she was stronger than ever. Almost without realizing it, the Wings closed ranks around Eva and Negi. Konoka - still guarded by Ku and Setsuna - was hurrying around, healing the injured from both sides.
 
“Mana,” sighed the Dean. The mercenary sniper de-cloaked. “I'm going to need your services after all,” he said, pulling a shattered doll part off his shoulder and drooping it. “You must know that we have destroyed your doll army outside,” he said to Eva.
 
“Of course I know,” she said calmly. “They were old ones, anyway, and their sole purpose was to alert me to the arrival of any reinforcements.” she shared.
 
“Mana,” began Asuna, her eyes narrowed, “this won't be a repeat of the Festival,” warned Asuna.
 
“Best listen to her, Mana,” Setsuna agreed. Konoka finished up with her healing.
 
“It won't be,” Mana said. Without any hesitation, she pulled her two handguns, spun and shot Sister Shakti, Nijuin and Akashi before pressing the barrel of her big automatics to Konoemon's strangely-shaped head. “Those stun bullets of yours are very effective,” Mana said to Eva.
 
“Thank our tech division for that,” Eva smiled.
 
“What are you doing, Mana?” asked Konoemon. “We had an agreement,” he reminded her.
 
“Yes,” Mana agreed. “And my destruction of the greater portion of Eva's doll army fulfilled that contract. Now, I am acting under a prior agreement with Eva and the White Wings.”
 
“Well played, Eva,” Konoemon admitted. Eva gave him a thin smile. “So, what…” Mana suddenly swung one of her autos to the side and fired.
 
“Don't even try that, weasel,” warned the mercenary. Chamo skidded across the concrete floor. In his hand, a bit of broken chalk was still smoking from the near-miss.
 
“Chamo!” gasped Negi. “Where have you been?!”
 
“Not like we missed you,” muttered Asuna.
 
“He was my guest,” Eva said casually. “Oh, by the way,” added the short blonde, “he screwed up the Pactio circle. You don't have any Probationary contracts, my apprentice.”
 
“But…!” began Negi, glancing at the girls.
 
“Those are all full Pactios,” his mistress anticipated his question.
 
“I thought that supposed to be impossible,” breathed Negi. Eva shrugged.
 
“Apparently not,” was all she had to say on that.
 
“So, that is how you broke the curse,” mused Konoemon. Eva gave him a smile, but didn't say anything. “So, what now?” asked the head of the Kanto Magic Association.
 
“Now, we talk,” Eva said firmly. “But first, let's clean this place up and go somewhere more comfortable,” she said. Within an hour, the entire group was secure in a council room in the main administration office.
 
“Ok, Eva,” said Konoemon, looking at the group, “what is it you have to say?”
 
“I propose a business arrangement between us,” Eva said, sitting between Negi and Asuna and facing Konoemon and Eishun. “The White Wings have grown beyond what any of us expected. As you have already seen, our fighting power is far greater than our size, and will soon - if it has not already - surpass the entire offensive capabilities of the Associations. This was not entirely by accident. During the time that Negi has been with us, events have occurred that has led him to the forming of the White Wings, and to becoming my apprentice.
 
“With the goals he has set for himself and our group, it is impossible for us to remain a part of this organization. However,” Eva paused, “being based here is good for both the Wings and for the Association. For us, it proves a safe training ground, a secure base, and a means of living our lives as normally as possible. It will keep any bounty hunters or assassination teams out of my hair, as well.”
 
“What of your appetite?” asked Eishun. Eva looked at him.
 
“I, as you are aware, have sampled the local cuisine, and it is severely lacking,” she said, her tone aristocratic and disdainful. “Here, however, the food is much more satisfying. I have no interest in feeding on those filthy savages. I have already forged an agreement with the members of the Wings to provide for my needs, so as long as we have a secure base here, you need never fear my appetite.”
 
“So, you have been feeding off Negi and the girls,” grunted Eishun. Eva smiled.
 
“Yes,” she said.
 
“Daddy, it's fine,” Konoka said. “She asked us, and we agreed. It isn't like she's sucking us dry every day, so what harm is there to letting her feed?”
 
“You know full well that for any adverse affects to take hold requires and exchange of blood, and a spell on my part,” Eva reminded the man. “Besides, freely-given, the girls get a gift in exchange,” snickered Eva, eyes crinkled mirthfully.
 
“Gift?” wondered Konoemon. Konoka blushed slightly.
 
“It's nothing,” she said, glancing away. If a toe-curling, bone-melting orgasm is nothing…
 
“At any rate, this is getting off topic,” Eva stepped in to re-focus the discussion. “With a safe base, we can pursue our goals without distractions, as well as having a haven to rest and recover or to train for unexpected obstacles. That is what we get,” she finished.
 
“Now, what you get is an emergency-response team for cataclysmic events, as well as an additional resource pool for the kind of jobs that Takamichi has been doing. As he will tell you, those jobs do not always go smoothly, and some jobs are flat-out too dangerous for people with too many scruples.”
 
“You mean for `good' mages,” Eishun interjected.
 
“I mean for mages who are afraid to get their hands dirty,” Eva cut back, her voice hard. “There are times and situations, boy, where playing fair or attempting to negotiate is the wrong choice. It should also be remembered that politics between the mundane and magical societies are tenuous at best, and unstable by default. We, unlike the Associations - bound by treaties and agreements and alliances - can act without political consideration. A very handy capability, yes?” she grinned at Konoemon.
 
“Perhaps,” he allowed. Even if they were caught, this is Evangeline, wanted criminal and terrorist, so what difference would it make? For Negi and some of the others, it might be more complicated, but… he considered what she had said.
 
“Let's not overlook the commonality of purpose, as well,” Eva continued. “Fate Averruncus must be dealt with. Negi has chosen to pursue him for what he did to his girls in Kyoto, and I have some issue with him as well from that incident. He is not your typical terrorist. And the methodology and resources the Associations have are useless when it comes to people like him. Dealing with dissidents like Chigusa Amagasaki is one thing. Dealing with the likes of Fate is another. If your Associations are police, the Wings would be a military special forces unit. You handle the small stuff, the day-to-day stuff, but when you can't handle something, we can.”
 
“And between those times?” wondered Eishun. Eva stared at him for a moment.
 
“Ala Alba is the descendant of Ala Rubra, both figuratively and literally. The successes and failures of your group spawned this group. His son, your daughter, the forgotten princess, myself - we are your legacy, made flesh. Don't sit there, pretending that you have no blame in this, boy.”
 
Eishun was silent. Konoka was looking back and forth between her father and Eva. “What princess?” she asked, curiously.
 
“Another story for a later time,” Eva said, looking at the two elder Konoe. Seeing their expressions, she laughed. “Didn't think I knew? How foolish of you,” she sneered.
 
“As my son-in-law asked, what is your plan for the times when you are not fighting?” Konoemon asked the small blonde.
 
“Training, researching, living,” Eva shrugged casually.
 
“Recruiting?” challenged the old Dean.
 
“Some,” Eva admitted. “Though you should know that we are very selective. Looking at our ranks, you will understand that any recruiting we will do will be with our goals in mind, and not casual membership.”
 
“You make it sound more like a gang or organized crime family,” noted Takamichi.
 
“Tak, you saw what happened with the Red Wings,” Eva answered. “Rakkan is a good example of a `casual member'. Also, both Eishun and Gateau were looking to their futures even before the group fell apart. Mind you,” she warned him, “it isn't that looking to the future is wrong so much as that they were only looking for their own future. And their plans did not include anyone but themselves. We aren't going to be making that mistake,” promised Eva.
 
“What about the differences in your life-spans?” wondered Toko. The woman was jittery and moody at the best of times, but when her personal life agenda ran into her professional life goals, it could get a little warm.
 
“That isn't your concern,” Eva said coldly.
 
“But it is!” insisted Toko. “When the others begin to die, you'll go right back to murdering and pillaging,” insisted the swordswoman. Eva smirked.
 
“Either way, you will long since be dead by that point,” she dug back. “Old woman,” added Eva unnecessarily. Toko's face turned red.
 
“You little…!” began the woman, shooting to her feet.
 
“Toko,” Konoemon said sternly.
 
“Eva, stop that,” Asuna said, lightly smacking Eva on the head. Eva growled at Asuna, eyes narrowed in a glare. Asuna shrugged it off.
 
“Well, Eva?” asked Konoemon. “What do plan to do about that issue?” he pressed.
 
“I will never be alone, now that I have Chachamaru,” Eva said. “Besides, most of our group will live much longer than mundane people. Especially Negi and Konoka,” she said, her tone almost bored. “With Konoka's healing power, I expect the non-combat life-spans of our team to be roughly two to three times normal.”
 
“Getting back to the recruiting issue,” Eishun said, “how big do you intend to make your group?”
 
“Not too big,” Eva replied, a strange smile on her lips. “But certainly larger than what came before. Already, we have front-line and rear-line members. One of the key weaknesses of your old group is that you were all front-liners. The closest you had to a rear-line was Gateau, and he only specialized in military intelligence. Had you had someone like our Nodoka-chan, or Chisame-chan, you would have been in much better shape.
 
“Also,” continued Eva, “there was no real balance in your group. We have all the elemental groups, and with minor recruiting, we will have the diversity we need to face any group or threat with full resources.”
 
“Any kind of number attached to this `minor recruiting'?”
 
“Not specifically, but I doubt that our group will grow larger than about twenty or so,” Eva said. “Most of them are even in Negi's class even now,” she added, licking her lips.
 
“And if they do not wish to join?” asked Eishun.
 
“We're not some sort of kidnapping ring,” Asuna said indignantly. “If they don't want to, that's fine! And even if they want to join, we're not going to take just anyone. Only those who mean it,” she said, her tone softer toward the end.
 
“Mean it?” wondered Konoemon.
 
“If they aren't ready to go the distance, we don't want them,” Konoka said, her tone care-free. “'Cause this isn't some school club, you know?”
 
Eishun and Konoemon looked at each other for a long moment. “I suppose if we said we didn't agree, it wouldn't stop you,” guessed the Dean. Eva gave him a lazy smile.
 
“Not in the least.”
 
The two heads of the biggest Associations in Japan were silent for several minutes. Finally, Konoemon spoke. “We haven't much choice in the matter,” he said. “So, we agree to your proposal; with some conditions,” he added.
 
“I made no mention of this being negotiations,” Eva said. “But, I will at least hear you out,” she smiled thinly.
 
“We're not asking much,” the Dean began. “Only that you keep your status secret from the other students, refrain from open displays of your abilities - like the Tournament during the Festival - and that you accept a liaison to facilitate better coordination between the Associations and your group.”
 
“Hmm,” mused Eva. “I suppose that isn't that much to ask. I agree with the condition that your liaison meet with our groups' approval. No wheezing old men or emotionally unstable drama queens, for instance. Also, the liaison should fit in with our group, the better to blend in.”
 
“We will see what develops,” the Dean said.
 
“Well, now that that is decided, we have a celebration to hold,” Eva said, standing and leading the others toward the door. After the group was gone, the heads of the two Associations remained behind.
 
“Can we trust her?” wondered Eishun.
 
“I don't know,” admitted the Dean. “But I trust Negi's judgment in trusting her. He seems to have his father's knack for seeing the real person.”
 
“I hope you are right, Father,” Eishun said.
 
“Konoka chose him and the Wings, so we can't be that far off,” offered Konoemon.
 
“My little girl is no longer so little,” sighed Eishun. “She reminds me of her mother now more than ever,” he added.
 
“Indeed,” chuckled Konoemon. “Want a drink, son-in-law?” he asked, moving toward the door. Eishun smiled.
 
“Sure.”
 
The two made their way to the office the Dean, where the old man broke out his bottle of vintage bourbon. Pouring two glasses of the potent drink, he handed one to his son-in-law. The younger man smiled, looking at the dark drink. “Haven't had bourbon in years,” he noted, sipping.
 
“I keep this for special occasions,” replied Konoemon. “Speaking of Konoka, she recently told me to stop trying to set her up with men. Guess she's found one, hmm?”
 
“If it isn't Negi, I will be shocked,” Eishun nodded. “Though, for a while, I was worried she was in love with Setsuna,” he mused.
 
“She is,” Konoemon said, making his son-in-law cough mid-sip. “Didn't you know? She loves Setsuna very, very much - and not just as a friend. That was one of the reasons I was so persistent in trying to marry her off. Guess I needn't have worried so much, hmm?”
 
“But…does she know what Setsuna really is?” wondered Eishun. Konoemon nodded.
 
“She knows everything about Setsuna - and she doesn't care in the least,” he replied. “Neither do the others.”
 
Eishun just shook his head, draining the bourbon in his glass before holding it out. Silently, Konoemon refilled the glass. “Has she said anything to you about re-marrying?” asked the older man.
 
“She said something about that a few days ago,” he shrugged.
 
“I see,” Konoemon nodded to himself. “My boy, I have a young woman you should meet…” Eishun let his head drop forward. Silently, he held out his glass again.
 
-
 
“Looks like the others are here already,” noted Kotaro, leading Natsumi up the steps. He and Natsumi had been keeping Shizuna busy with the others when the rear-line Wings members had suddenly vanished, teleport circles flaring at their feet momentarily. It had made it a little difficult to explain to Shizuna why the girls were suddenly just gone.
 
It had turned out that Shizuna had guessed that the group had been summoned by Negi; just not the distance he could work at. So, after listening to Shizuna lecture for a bit, the two had suggested that she call the school. She had tried, but it was a full two hours before she could get the Dean on the phone. When she did, he just told her to come back.
 
So, the three had ridden the train back to Tokyo. During the trip, she had remained lost in thought, while Kotaro and Natsumi had dozed lightly. When he had fully wakened as the train was pulling in, he found that Natsumi was laying against his side, her head on his shoulder. Waking her, the three had made their way to the school, Shizuna moving toward the administration building while Kotaro moved toward Eva's cabin.
 
Now, they were descending the steps toward the basement. “Um, Kotaro?” asked Natsumi.
 
“Hmm?” he replied.
 
“I…would it be ok if I got a Pactio with Negi so he could teleport me?” asked the girl.
 
“Sure,” Kotaro answered immediately. “Might have been nice to have a Pactio with him myself,” he mused. Natsumi blushed a little.
 
“So…um…you don't mind?” asked the girl.
 
“Why would I?” he wondered, puzzled. Natsumi fidgeted.
 
“No reason,” she said meekly. Kotaro turned to look at her.
 
“You ok, Natsumi-chan? You've been acting a little off for a while now,” he noted.
 
“I'm fine!” insisted the girl. Kotaro studied her for a long moment.
 
“If you say so,” he said, turning back to the Resort. “Let's hurry,” he said, stepping into the hidden transport circle, Natsumi joining him as the circle activated.
 
“About time!” greeted Asuna as the two arrived. “We were about to go looking for you,” she added, smiling as she tweaked Kotaro's ear.
 
“Stop that,” he said, swatting at her arm. Asuna just giggled.
 
“Come on; the party is about ready,” she added, patting Natsumi's head. The two followed Asuna toward the huge patio area beyond the teleport circle. As they walked, Kotaro fell into pace with Asuna. As the two walked, he talked to her about what had happened. Asuna summarized the events at Mahora, which seemed to impress Kotaro.
 
Natsumi saw the others preparing for a large party, and veered off to help, while Kotaro and Asuna continued toward the hub. “Can I help?” asked Natsumi, stopping by Kazumi. The taller, curvier girl glanced at her, smiling.
 
“Sure,” said Kazumi, “you can give Konoka a hand,” she said, inclining her head toward the dark-haired girl. Natsumi moved over to get her work assignment from the girl.
 
“Hey, Natsumi-chan,” Konoka greeted her, giving the girl a brief kiss on the cheek. “You made it back.”
 
“Yeah,” Natsumi said, “anything need doing?”
 
“Not really,” Konoka said. “Chachamaru's sisters have most of it taken care of,” she said. “But, if you want, you can help set out the napkins and glasses,” she offered. Natsumi nodded.
 
As they worked, Natsumi built up her courage. “Um, Konoka? Do…do you think that Negi would make a Pactio with me?” she asked. Konoka glanced at her.
 
“Of course he would,” she said. “Why?”
 
“Well, um, it would be easier if he could teleport me and Kotaro like he does you,” she explained.
 
“That's true,” agreed Konoka. “Come on! Let's go get your Pactio done!” the cheerful girl said, grabbing Natsumi's hand and pulling the smaller girl after her. Natsumi's attempt to dissuade the other girl were futile. In short order, the two had found Negi. The young man was standing with Eva and Chachamaru on one of the higher levels of the castle.
 
“Negi! Natsumi-chan's ready for her Pactio!” sang out Konoka, pulling the girl up in front of the young mage. Eva grinned.
 
“About time,” she said.
 
“Natsumi? Are you sure…?” began Negi.
 
“She's sure,” Konoka answered for Natsumi.
 
“I…!” Natsumi was blushing badly.
 
“There you are,” came Asuna's voice, the girl and Kotaro arriving a moment later. Asuna's arm was over Kotaro's shoulder. Natsumi noticed that Kotaro's hand was resting on Asuna's hip. “What's up?” she asked.
 
“Natsumi is about to get her Pactio,” Konoka said. “Right, Natsumi-chan?” she smiled at the girl.
 
“Right,” Natsumi said, turning to face Negi. “Um…”
 
Negi stepped closer to her. “You know about the Pactio, right?” he said. Natsumi nodded. Putting his hands on her shoulders, he leaned in and kissed her. Natsumi felt a small jolt run through her as their lips sealed. Is that the Pactio spell? she wondered.
 
After a moment, Negi broke the kiss, easing back from her. “Is…it done?” asked Natsumi breathlessly.
 
“Yes,” said Eva, holding up a card. Negi took the card from his mistress, looking it over.
 
“Just like the others,” he said. “Well, except for the silver edge,” he added. Natsumi blushed a little. Negi duplicated the card, giving her one of the two, the other being added to his stack. Looking at Negi's shorts, Natsumi saw a bulge at his crotch. Is that because he kissed me, or was it from whatever he and Eva were talking about? Or doing? wondered the girl. Turning her head, she saw that Asuna and Kotaro were still standing there. Letting her eyes drop from Kotaro's smiling face, she saw that his shorts were tented, too. Looking back up, she saw him glancing at Asuna.
 
Natsumi's eyes dropped again, her peripheral vision catching a bit of movement. Asuna had let her arm drop from his shoulders, and from the look of things, she had grabbed his tail. Looking at his groin, she saw his shorts twitch as he reached behind him to free his tail from her playful grip. “Asuna,” he protested. She just shrugged.
 
“You know, we still need to come up with a way or Kotaro to be teleported,” Konoka noted. Kotaro whipped his head around to look at the girl.
 
“I'm not kissing Negi!” he said aggressively.
 
“It's just a kiss,” Konoka said.
 
“No way,” muttered Kotaro. Konoka thoughtfully tapped her chin.
 
“Well, is there a way to share the Pactio so Negi can teleport Kotaro?” she asked. Eva considered that.
 
“I have never heard of that, but then,” she paused, “it has always been impossible to have more than one full Pactio, too.”
 
“Kotaro, kiss Asuna,” suggested Konoka eagerly. “Maybe the Pactio can piggy back,” she suggested.
 
“No way,” he said, looking away from the girl beside him.
 
“And what's wrong with kissing me?” asked Asuna, insulted.
 
“Would you rather kiss me?” asked Konoka.
 
“Negi wouldn't like that,” Kotaro said, sweating a little.
 
“It's ok, Kotaro,” Negi said. “If this works, I could summon you as well, which would make things a lot easier,” he enthused. “It's worth a try, if Asuna is ok with it,” he added.
 
“I don't know…” began Kotaro, looking to Natsumi. The girl blinked, then turned away.
 
“I think you should try it,” she said, not looking at him. Kotaro frowned slightly.
 
“Natsumi…” began the young man, only to find himself being turned to face Asuna.
 
“You saying you don't want to kiss me?” she asked, her tone dangerously smooth. Kotaro just grunted.
 
“Whatever,” he said, lunging up to kiss her. Asuna blinked. Hadn't expected that, she thought fleetingly as Kotaro's tongue slipped into her mouth. Just as she decided to return the kiss, he broke it, backing away a little. Asuna was breathing a little fast, her nipples poking her tee shirt.
 
“Nothing?” asked Negi. Eva shook her head.
 
“Doesn't look like it,” she said. “Well, it was worth trying,” shrugged the blonde, moving off with Chachamaru.
 
“Too bad,” sighed Konoka. “That still leaves the other way, though,” she said.
 
“I told you, I only kiss girls,” Kotaro said truculently.
 
“Hey, Natsumi, what's wrong?” wondered Asuna, seeing the girl hadn't moved or spoken yet. Stepping over to her, she saw Natsumi had tears in the corner of her eyes. “What's wrong?” asked Asuna, worried about the other girl.
 
“It…it's nothing!” insisted Natsumi, dashing off. Asuna frowned.
 
“Doesn't look like nothing,” she said.
 
“Yeah,” agreed Negi. “We should go after them,” he said decisively. “Konoka, you and I will take the upper part of the castle, Kotaro, you and Asuna check the lower levels,” he said, dashing off, Konoka at his side. Asuna and Kotaro glanced at each other before hurrying off.
 
It took nearly a half hour to find Natsumi. As it was, Kotaro had detected her scent and followed his nose to where the girl was huddled up near a stone outcropping near the base of the waterfall. “Hey, Natsumi,” Asuna said, “what's wrong?”
 
“It's ok,” the girl said softly. “I understand.”
 
“Well, that makes one of us,” Asuna said.
 
“Natsumi-chan, what's bothering you?” asked Kotaro, moving closer to her.
 
“Nothing's bothering me, Kotaro,” said the girl, face on her knees. “Maybe if you try again, it will work,” she added. Asuna frowned. Konoka, I need you down here, she thought. A moment later, Negi and Konoka materialized next to Asuna.
 
“Or maybe if you tried kissing Konoka, or one of the other girls,” Natsumi said, not looking up.
 
“Well, if it didn't work with Asuna, it probably won't work with any of the others, since she's the primary partner,” Negi said slowly.
 
“Natsumi-chan, did it bother you that Kotaro and Asuna kissed?” asked Konoka. Asuna blinked, looking at Negi, who also looked surprised. “It did, didn't it,” stated Konoka.
 
“I understand, though,” Natsumi said. “She's a lot prettier than me, and stronger, more confident, sexier…”
 
“I don't care about any of that!” Kotaro said. “Asuna's not you, Natsumi-chan,” he said, grabbing her shoulders. Natsumi raised her face a little to look at the young man.
 
“It's not that big of deal, really!” insisted Asuna.
 
“Negi's not upset you kissed Kotaro?” wondered Natsumi. Negi shook his head.
 
“No. Why would I be? Kotaro is like a brother to me,” he answered her. “Besides, I kissed you, and he didn't mind. Right, Kotaro?” Kotaro nodded.
 
“It wasn't like he was some stranger, you know?” Natsumi raised her head a little more.
 
“You…don't care?” she asked. Kotaro scratched his head.
 
“Of course I care, Natsumi, but it's nothing to get worked up over,” he said. “It's like Negi said: he's my brother,” he borrowed Negi's line.
 
“We're all on the same team, Natsumi,” Asuna said, “and the closer we are, the better,” she added.
 
“You love Kotaro, don't you?” Konoka said, smiling warmly. Natsumi blushed.
 
“What?” wondered the wolf-boy, shocked.
 
“She loves you. That is why she's upset about you being so familiar with Asuna,” Konoka said easily. Asuna blinked.
 
“No way,” scoffed Kotaro, “Natsumi wouldn't…!”
 
“It's true,” Natsumi whispered, stopping him cold. Kotaro stared at her. “But, you probably…” began the girl. Kotaro leaned in and kissed her.
 
“Huh?” wondered Negi, pulling the Pactio cards out of his pocket and looking at them. “That's odd,” he muttered.
 
“What's odd?” asked Asuna, she and Konoka crowding close to him. On Natsumi's card, a wolf appeared, standing in front of her.
 
“That looks like his shadow-wolves,” Konoka noted.
 
“Hey, do you suppose…?” Asuna began. Negi's eyes opened wider. Incanting briefly, he released the spell, the two vanishing, only to reappear a moment later over the water. The two fell into the water, still kissing.
 
“What the hell?!” yelled Kotaro, surfacing a moment later, Natsumi held in his off arm.
 
“Sorry!” Negi called back. “But I can teleport you now,” he shared.
 
“No shit,” Kotaro said, spitting out some water. Looking over, he found Natsumi giggling. Smiling at her, he stroked them both the short distance to the shore, where Asuna and Negi helped them out.
 
“Let's get you some dry clothes, then get to the party,” Asuna said, grinning.
 
“That wasn't funny,” Kotaro muttered. Asuna shrugged.
 
“Depends on who you ask,” she said. As he walked past her, she grabbed his tail.
 
“Damn it, leave my tail alone!” he protest. Negi and Konoka followed the three. Ten minutes later, they were enjoying a feast with their fellow Wing members.
 
-
 
“You called us, sir?” asked Takane T. Goodman, entering the Dean's office with her partner, Mei Sakura.
 
“Yes,” said the Dean, looking up. “I need a volunteer to serve as a liaison between the Association and a new, independent group. After considering the situation, I think that you and Mei will prove to be the best choices.”
 
“The White Wings,” breathed Takane, her eyes lighting up. “We volunteer!” said the blonde eagerly. The Dean blinked.
 
“You understand that while you are acting as liaison with them, you will be on leave from your duties with the Association,” he said.
 
“That's fine!” Takane immediately replied. The old man looked at Mei.
 
“It's fine, sir,” she said, meeting his gaze.
 
“Well, if you are sure,” he said. “Go find Negi and let him know. Dismissed,” said the head of the Association. The two hurried out of his office, almost running into Shizuna.
 
“Eager volunteers,” said the woman.
 
“Yes,” the Dean agreed, “perhaps too eager.”
 
“They do have a history with Negi's group,” Shizuna said, putting a stack of papers in front of the Dean.
 
“What is all this?” wondered the old man.
 
“Paperwork related to the trip to Kyoto,” replied the busty woman.
 
“Well, there isn't enough time to do them before dark,” the Dean said, burying his face in her cleavage. “I'll have to deal with it tomorrow,” he said, his voice muffled.
 
“Do it today, sir,” Shizuna said, handing the man a band-aid for his bleeding head, the victim of her ire at his forwardness.
 
“So, giving up on your little project?” asked the Dean, applying the band-aid.
 
“No,” Shizuna replied, “just re-assessing my plan,” the woman smiled, exiting the office.
 
-
 
“Coming,” called out Asuna, moving to the door to their room. She, Konoka and Negi were about to go to bed, so they hadn't been expecting any visitors. Opening the door, she blinked at visitors. “What are you two doing here?” she asked.
 
“Finally!” huffed Takane. “We're here to see Negi,” she said. Asuna gave her a bemused look.
 
“Come on in,” she said, stepping aside. Takane and Mei entered the room. Negi was grading some papers, Konoka was folding fresh laundry, and Asuna had been working on homework. As usual, neither girl was very dressed. Konoka was wearing a silk dressing gown that ended just past the bottom of her ass, and Asuna was wearing her panties and the unbuttoned blouse she had worn that day. Her bra had been discarded the instant she got back to the room.
 
Negi was wearing his slacks and shirt, though Konoka and Asuna had stripped him of everything else and unbuttoned his shirt. Takane blinked, seeing this. Mei blushed a little. “Negi, that stripper is here to see you,” Asuna said, hiding a smile.
 
“I am not a stripper!” protested Takane hotly. Negi blinked, looking up from his papers.
 
“Oh, Takane-san! Mei-chan,” he greeted the two. “What can I do for you?” he asked them.
 
“We're your liaisons,” Takane stated firmly. Negi blinked.
 
“Awfully sure of yourself,” noted Asuna drolly. “As I recall, we have to approve the liaison,” she said.
 
“Tea or soda?” asked Konoka, having finished folding and putting away the laundry.
 
“We would very much like to work with you and the Wings, Negi-san,” Mei said politely, bowing to them.
 
“It could be fun,” Konoka said, setting a cup of tea in front of Mei.
 
Mistress? Negi thought to Eva.
 
Just a minute, came back the reply. A moment later, the girl emerged from the shadow cast by the table. “So, you two are the liaisons?” she asked, eyeing the pair. Both nodded. “Negi? Any objections?” she asked. Negi shook his head. Eva eyed Asuna and Konoka. Neither said anything. “Very well,” Eva said. “Come to my cabin, and I will give you the ground rules,” she said, melting back into the shadow.
 
Takane and Mei were staring at the shadow. “That is so cool,” breathed Mei. Takane snorted delicately, sipping her soda. Asuna sighed, stretching her arms.
 
“I think I am going to turn in early,” she said, standing and shrugging off her blouse before skinning out of her panties. An easy jump and she was settling into the loft bed. Takane and Mei were staring at the casual undressing.
 
“I wouldn't keep Eva waiting,” Konoka said, slipping off her gown. Under it, she was naked as well. “She isn't know for her patience,” Konoka added. Negi jumped to his feet, scooped her up and lifted her into the bed, Asuna helping.
 
“Yeah, you should probably hurry,” Negi agreed. The two rose, and he herded them out of the room. “Good luck,” he added before closing the door. Takane and Mei stood outside the door, stunned, for nearly a minute.
 
“We…um…should get over to her cabin,” Takane managed at last. Mei silently nodded. Together, the two hurried out of the dorm and to the cabin. they were met at the door by Chachamaru, who invited them in. Eva was waiting for them in her great room, a thin, sheer black negligee wrapped haphazardly around her.
 
“So,” the vampiress said, “you have made your decision.” The two nodded, swallowing with some difficulty. “Good,” purred Eva.
 
“You better be able to deliver on your promise,” Takane said. Eva gave her a flat stare.
 
“I can only give you the opportunity and means,” she said. “The will is up to the two of you.” After several seconds and a few shared glances at each other, the two unbuttoned their tops, baring their necks. Eva smiled, licking her fangs. And so, she thought smugly, the game enters a new stage.
 
END
 
Author's Notes: This is where the preliminary plotting ends. I may or may not tie the second fic idea to this one, and I may (or may not - likely NOT) add a few deleted scenes and or omakes. But for intents and purposes, this is where this fic ends.