Mobile Suit Gundam Fan Fiction ❯ Gundam: Blood Chronicles ❯ Wraith of Zeon ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I dont own Gundam...if I did, would I be sitting here in a small house typing on a crappy computer? Didn't think so. However all characters in this story are of my own creation, however thanks to INK for his creative talents: Enforcer, Sentinel, Siren, Shocktrooper, and Grunt are his and must have his permission to use. Thank you for your time and patience, please enjoy the story.


GUNDAM
Blood Chronicles

By: Death Emperor Daeron


CHAPTER 2
-Wraith of Zeon-


-U.C. 0089.09.10-
Side 1 Space, Near Colony 5


"On your six!" yelled Kenneth warning the trainee.
The trainee did as directed and fired off a few shots from the Mobil Suit into a Zaku. Kenneth watched the trainee quickly gain momentum and quickly take out 30 Mobile Suits in the remaining ten minutes of the simulation. A buzzer went off and all the screens cut off and a hatch opened, bright light from the M.S. Training Room poured into the training cockpit. Kenneth squinted his eyes and allowed them to adjust to the new light. From across the room another hatch opens and a blue haired young man steps out and wipes the beads of sweat away from his brow. He was wearing the normal combat suits for space war-fare, made of high density material to protect the pilot from the harshness of space in the situation the Mobile Suit is destroyed and they survive the explosion, to most soldiers this suit was just prolonging the unavoidable, more than 90% of soldiers stranded in space are either killed by lack of oxygen, or floating back into the battlefield and being hit.
“Not bad, huh sir,” the trainee said with a smile.
“Not bad,” Kenneth said questioningly,” So you think your performance out there wasn’t too bad, is that?”
The trainee sighed knowing that Kenneth would say something about his ability in combat training today.
"Lieutenant Callum!" yelled Kenneth walking over to Callum, "You still are lagging in close range combat, in order to succeed in combat you need to able to go from long range combat to close range combat flawlessly, one slight hesitation will cost you more than your mobile suit...your life. Remember that and you will strive in combat and become a better pilot, until then your nothing but a sitting duck in space, another corpse to join those already floating in space."
The harsh words of Kenneth sunk deep, yet Callum learned to keep his face emotionless while speaking to Kenneth, sometimes were harder than others.
"DO YOU GET ME," Kenneth snapped.
"Yes Captain Kenneth, sir!" Callum quickly saluted as Kenneth left the trainee to think of his failures on combat training,” Damn fossil…I have the skill, he’s just jealous of my abilities.”
“The kid has skill,”
Kenneth thought with a small smirk,” he’s good; now let’s see if he can improve.”
"Will Captain Kenneth and Lieutenant Callum report to the bridge...I repeat Kenneth and Callum, report to the bridge." Laura's voice rang true through the metal halls of the ship.
The two men began their way to the bridge, each thought something good was actually going on, maybe the Midnight Cosmos would be sent into combat, however the two Gundam pilots were in for a rude awakening.
The main operating room was usually filled with fifty men and women to run the ship, however when Kenneth and Callum arrived only Johnson and Laura where present. Laura stood about ten feet from Johnson watching Callum and Kenneth enter. Johnson had his back turned to the two pilots, his arms behind his back and his gaze focused out into the void of space.
"What’s the deal?" asked Kenneth.
"There is no 'deal'..." Johnson seemed rather irritated and tense, "Tell me, how is Callum's training coming along?"
"Fine, the kid has some skills...but he is still lacking in close range combat," reported Kenneth. "He need's more than just a simulator..."
"Yeah, I need real combat Commander," Callum said sternly, "If we are to head the attacks on Zeon, why aren't we engaged in battle? Did the Chancellor change his mind and replace our unit with someone he feels is more competent?"
Kenneth noticed the slight flinch in Johnson's stature as Callum stated the possibility of why they haven't been engaged in combat. Kenneth rested a hand on Callum's shoulder to stop Callum from going to far. Laura walked forward and gave both Callum and Kenneth folders labeled Aux Unit., Kenneth knew exactly what had happened.
"Your about half correct Callum," Anger tinged Johnson's voice, "Chancellor Ofnel believes that our squad should a Auxiliary Unit...we would only be called into battle when we are needed. As you can tell, I am not too pleased with there choice...so there was a slight outburst from me at the meeting in Laisha today. Our current orders are to take the Midnight Cosmos unit back onto Earth along with the Alexander...there you will be given a new Commander."
Johnson became silent as he turned to face Kenneth and Callum. Kenneth could see the tension in Johnson’s face; apparently, the decision really did not sit well with him.
"I will be commanding a larger fleet in the largest space operation since Operation V in the One Year War...I sense the Chancellor kept my request to allow me to lead the army, yet I am not able to use my own unit..."
"What the hell is all this about?" cursed Kenneth, "Who the hell do they think they are?!"
"Kenneth, don't worry," said Laura.
She placed her hand on his shoulder, but as soon as she let it rest, he shrugged it off; Laura recoiled her hand and she stepped back.
"Until then I am still your Commander, inside these folders is information of a new recruit, already trained. He is Ensign Hito from Air Base Cross, he is the son of the Commander down there, he is also a NewType. He will be piloting the remodeled Zeta Gundam.”
“Another NewType,” Kenneth thought as he rolled his eyes then said,” What’s this guy’s name again?”
“Hito,” Johnson said,” he will be join our...I mean this unit, when we arrive at Air Base Cross. Now if you’ll open those folders…"
Kenneth and Callum opened their folders and saw what seemed to be the schematics for a Gundam.
“Zeta Gundam I presume,” Kenneth said.
"Yes,” Johnson said,” As you can see this is the original design used by Kamille Bidan during the first war against Neo Zeon."
Johnson quickly went over the minor details, ignoring the weapon systems and armor; this was no longer his unit, so he no longer cared. Johnson then sighed before storming out of the bridge, Kenneth and Callum kept their eyes on him and could see by the way he walked; he was under quite a bit of stress.
"If you’ll excuse me, I am going to sleep. We leave at 0600 hours, make sure your ready, that is all," Johnson just before entering his room.
As the door closed, Kenneth and Callum heard the door lock; he obviously did not want to be disturbed.
"So what now cap?" asked Callum.
"First of all, never call me that again," Kenneth said sternly, "Secondly, you’re going back for more training. You have good skills I’ll admit, but you’re far from being perfect, even NewTypes are lacking in various areas. Don’t make me regret sticking up for you in the bridge."
“Yes sir,” Callum said with a sigh, he knew all too well that this was going to be a long day.

-U.C. 0089.09.11-
Side 1 Space, Near Colony 5

Twelve large ships appeared from the darkness of space; in the front of the fleet is a capital ship, Musai Class. The elongated front with a Mobile Suit docking bay and four turrets, the sleek mid section of the ship contained six large plasma turrets on both sides, and finally the larger rear of the ship which housed the bridge and other important facilities. On each of these ship was the familiar Zeon symbol and each ship was painted in green and gold, except the front one, it was mostly red with the gold symbol of Zeon proudly painted on its bow.
"Sir, the Astatroth Fleet has come into position near Side 1, Colony 5," A young Zeon officer continued his report to Galven, "Our spy's information was correct; the Alexander is docked here and will be leaving momentarily."
Galven's lips curled into a devious smile as his brow became tense with numerous battle plans as they ran through his mind.
"Commander Galven? Sir?" the young officer asked curiously.
"Send in our Black Luna Team, our fleet will be here for support, also begin the operation to land on Earth when the Alexander has retreated," Galven with a wicked smile.
The Zeon officer saluted and went off to get the Black Luna Team ready for action. Galven watched his magnificent fleet prime their weapons, the first confrontation, the first time the Earth Sphere will feel the wraith of Zeon.
"Fire a few rounds at the colony, let us give these Federation dogs a wake up call that they won’t soon forget," Galven shouted triumphantly.
As on cue the ship let loose the promised Zeonic fury as all twelve battleships launched their barrage of missiles and energy weapons.
***
Callum and Kenneth continued their training well into the night; as commanding officer to the Gundam pilots, he had to make sure his abilities were up to speed as well as be prepared for what might happen.
“Expect the unexpected,” he said, repeating what his old CO repeated to him and his crew so long ago.
“What’s that sir,” Callum said.
“Nothing,” Kenneth said as he slowly began to recall how he ever got mixed up in this whole mess.
He remembered when Zeon launched a gas attack on his former home, Colony 7 at Side 3. Only he and his sister survived and ever since then he vowed revenge on Zeon. He had no idea that he was about to get his chance. Just as the 70th Simulation began several explosions went off and the Colonies sirens echoed into the Alexander.
Laura voice was suddenly booming over the intercom, 'Alert, we are under attack. Code Red...all pilots report to designated areas for launch...I repeat...we are under attack Code Red...this is not a drill...’ The urgency in Laura's voice was great and so was the next series of explosions, 'We have mobile suit forces inbound! All Mobile Suit pilots report to your stations! We are now in Code Black, the Alexander is preparing to engage the enemy...'
Even thought the situation seemed dire, the news of battle made Kenneth's and Callum's faces light up.
"Looks like you'll finally get to try out your skills in real combat," Kenneth said.
“Y…Yeah,” Callum stuttered a bit.
"Hey death isn’t all that bad. Keep focused on our objective fight with everything you got and you won’t have anything to worry about," Kenneth said.
"Heh...thanks for the rallying speech," Callum glumly said as followed Kenneth to the Mobile Suit Bay.
The situation in the bridge was a scene of pure chaos, the Battle Bridge was incomplete, and this meant they would be a sitting ducks.
"Laura,” Johnson said,” once the Alexander is engaged in space combat I want you to issue an order to all Mobile Suit forces, the protection of the bridge is their highest priority."
"Yes sir." Laura ran for her station and prepared to issue the final orders.
The Alexander slowly pulled out of the massive docking bay of the colony, as they pulled away the bow of the ship was bombarded by a barrage of missiles. The ship rocked violently before settling down again and moving out into space.
Back in the Mobile Suit bay, Kenneth and Callum finally got to see their Gundams, however they hadn't been painted the Federation colors yet, and remained their steel color. Kenneth's Gundam was known as Gundam Enforcer, this was an unconventional Gundam style, the model was sleek and rounded, not boxy. The eyes were designed like a large visor, giving this Gundam ultimate efficiency in long range combat. Enforcer is equipped with a large shoulder cannon mounted on the right side. This cannon launched missile pods which broke into ten smaller missiles after launch. Also on the left side is a shield that can take most damage from basic Mobil Suit weaponry. The main weapon of Enforcer is an Energy Gatling Gun and of course for close range combat is a Energy Saber.
However Callum's Gundam was the standard block style, yet the head used the Enforcers visor style for the optics. On the right shoulder is a Grenade Launcher with numerous rounds and even energy rounds for later use. The Gundam Sentinel is a mainly close range combat Mobile Suit, so the Saber has been over powered to cut through any material. As an added bonus, the Gundam stores a three round missile launcher in the top side of each arm. This model also carries a shield on its back only used in close range combat though.
"Ready Liuetenant?" asked Kenneth as he climbed into the cockpit of Gundam Enforcer.
"If you’re as good as you claim to be and you have been training me...I guess I am," Callum said.
The cockpit of Gundam Sentinel closed shut and both mobile suits prepared for take off. Laura's face appeared in one of their screens.
"Gundam's Enforcer and Sentinel, your top priority is protection of the bridge," Laura then looked down at her paper work, "Gundam's Enforcer and Sentinel launch in 5...4...3...2...1...LAUNCH!"
The catapult system on the Alexander shot both of the Gundam's into space; Kenneth gritted his teeth as he was thrown forward from the force. Callum felt like his eyeballs were being sucked back into his skull.
“Damn,” Callum said,” they ought to have a simulator for that!”
“Stay sharp Callum, “ Kenneth said,” Here comes our support.”
A large group of GM II's and Galbaldy Beta's soon followed them. The units began to float forward until they reached the battlefield…then the real fun began.
"To all Mobile Suit pilots, we have Hizack's inbound...prepare to defend the Alexander,” Luara’s voice said sternly.
At first there was nothing but blank space, nothing seemed to be there, that was until hundred of laser's came towards the Mobile Suits.
“Evasive maneuvers,” Kenneth shouted.
The forces quickly scattered and a few were hit and destroyed immediately. Around 40 Hizack's appeared before the Midnight Cosmos, Kenneth and his forces flew forward.
“All forces on me,” Kenneth said,” Show these Zeon amateurs the true strength of the Federation!”
***
Not far from battlefield was its commander, Ashe Cenna. She watched intently as the Federation continued to tear through the Zeon mobile infantry…particularly two mobile suits that did not bear the colors of the Federation.
"Commander, it seems these two Gundam's are more skilled than we...AHH!"
Ashe frowned as her Captain was destroyed and her screen suddenly went blank. With a sigh she slowly began to flip a series of switches on her control console.
"Well it seems these pilots want to face an ace of Zeon...hold still boys, here comes the Harbinger of Death," she said with a wicked smile.
Her large weapon slowly began to move, its thrusters started to charge then Ashe flew off at fantastic speeds into the battlefield.
***
"Captain Kenneth, it seems the Zeon forces are pulling back...did we win?" asked Callum as his Gundam came to a full stop in space.
Kenneth remained silent, his eyes scanning the screens before him for any signs of movement. He then turned to his right and saw one of the GM’s slowly approaching.
"Captain there is nothing out..."
Even before the warning signal went off twenty GM II's were blown away by a large beam weapon.
“What the,” Kenneth said as he looked back toward his main screen.
Suddenly, two large claws came out of the darkness and grabbed two Galbaldy Beta's firing plasma beams into their suits, completely destroying them. The monster that just wiped out half the Midnight Cosmos emerged from the darkness of space. Callum’s eyes went as wide as saucer plates when he saw what they were up against.
“What the hell…what kind of Mobile Suit is that,” Callum said.
"Neue Ziel..." murmured Kenneth, "That is no Mobile Suit, Callum... it’s a Mobile Armor!"
Kenneth took note of the symbol painted on the monstrous mobile armor and smirked.
"Ah, an ace pilot..." Kenneth grinned,” Seems like Zeon was kind enough to send us one of their top pilots, an action they will soon regret!”
“I’m on it,” Callum shouted as he charged forward.
“Callum wait,” Kenneth shouted.
"Fool..." said the pilot of the Neue Ziel as the wire guided claws grabbed the Gundam Sentinel and threw him into Gundam Enforcer, "I am Commander Ashe Cenna...also known as the Harbinger of Death...die Federation scum!"
The mobile armor took off and began to shower the two Gundam's with lasers from the clawed weapon. She also didn't hesitate to fire off a few rounds of missiles at them. As Kenneth and Callum managed to dodge most of her attacks, the Captain realized she was no NewType, but exceptionally skilled.
"Callum, go in close range! This is a mobile armor, they are designed for long range combat!" Kenneth fired off his chain gun only to realize this Neue Ziel had an I-Field, deflecting any type of beam weapons, "Shit...if this is a new type...that means...oh hell...Callum pull back!"
However it was too late, as Callum drew the Saber he lashed out at Neue Ziel, only to find his saber was met with the mobile armors own saber.
"Expecting something else?" questioned Ashe, never breaking her gaze away from the Gundam now trapped, "Let’s test the fire power of this mobile armor...shall we?"
Ashe reached forward and flicked a few switches, and the mobile armor revealed a large cannon at the mid section. The buzzing sound of the armors power core could be heard through the headsets.
"Shit!" cursed Callum as he disengaged the enemy and flew away just as the blast was fired.
The beam barely missed Callum and the Alexander, yet it seemed the intended target was the Colony. The beam hit the colony head on, the glass cylinder broke away and the colony began to implode.
“Oh no,” Kenneth said with wide eyes.
This wasn’t the end of the onslaught however, soon the Hizack's returned, the 40 from before had returned with a large number of reinforcements. Kenneth looked at the forces and estimated that there had to be at least 200 hundred waiting for them.
"Callum, Kenneth, pull back to the Alexander...this battle is lost," Johnson's voice rang clear into the two Gundam's.
“I don’t plan on retreating, I ain’t no coward,” Callum shouted.
“You’ll do as your ordered Lieutenant,” Kenneth snapped,” Now fall back!”
Callum reluctantly complied and followed Kenneth back to the landing bay for mobile suits. The Alexander pulled away as the massive Zeon army approached, taking out the remaining Colonies of Side 1.

***
Kenneth and Callum stormed into the bridge, yet it was silent as they came in. Laura pointed to main screen and both pilots saw Galven making a speech, in the background there was the video of Side 1 being completely destroyed. The video made it look like the Alexander was responsible for the destruction of the entire set of colonies.
"My people of space! The atrocities of the Earth Federation can not go on! Join me as the new Zeon rises to power and we will liberate ourselves from the beasts of Earth and build our own utopia in space! HAIL ZEON!" Galven threw his fist into the air and the crowd before his the same and chanted: Hail Zeon, over and over again. When the video ended a transmission was received from an unknown location.
"Commander, we have an incoming message...shall I patch it through?" asked a Federation officer.
"On screen" Johnson answered in a disgruntled voice, his posture was contorted in the commander’s chair.
Kenneth was about to say something to Johnson when the symbol of Zeon appeared on the screen. A female figure appeared on the screen and Kenneth immediately knew who it was.
"Good day to you...I am Commander Ashe Cenna...this is a warning to you Commander Johnson, stay out of our way or you will incur our wrath. We will kill anyone who tries to stop us even the colonists if we must. Consider this you’re first and last warning...oh and Captain Kenneth, I will have your head in battle next time," Commander Ashe said with a wink before ending the transmission.
“Bitch,” Kenneth said under his breath and he clenched his fists tightly.
The screen went black and the tension in the room only built up more. Johnson shifted in his chair; this news wasn’t easy for him to bear. After sighing deeply Johnson got up from his chair and went into the observation room behind the bridge, Kenneth and Callum followed behind. Once inside, the door shut and locked behind them, Kenneth threw his helmet down onto the table in the middle of the room with enough force to crack the visor. Callum took a seat to the far right as Johnson took his standing position by the window.
"Who the hell do these bastard think they are?! Destroying an entire colony just to make the Federation look bad?" Kenneth slammed his fist into the wall of the ship, cracking open the skin on his knuckles in the process.
Kenneth looked down at his hand and saw the blood begin to flow downward, he simply ignored the pain, nothing could compare with the anger he felt towards the Zeon now.
"Your right Kenneth, they did that to make us look bad," Johnson turned to face Kenneth and Callum, his back leaning on the glass behind him, "I am not going to take their warning lightly, when we reach Earth we will request to engage the Zeon forces directly, no more running and hiding for the Midnight Cosmos."
"Wait, I thought you were going to be promoted to General and take control of a larger force?" questioned Callum, his face slightly contorted with questions.
Johnson smiled and turned back towards the window. Somehow the decision he made earlier this morning helped him ease his own tension.
"I turned it down...I refuse to leave the unit I put together years ago," Johnson turned back to the two pilots, "Looks like your stuck with me until I die."
Kenneth smirked and said,” Just like old times huh?”
Johnson laughed until Laura's voice came over the intercom system.
"Commander Johnson, we are about to enter Earth's atmosphere, please take precautions and move towards the designated areas to the entry procedure," There was a click as the intercom went off.
The tension in the observation deck seemed to lessen as the fact that Johnson was staying after all. Johnson smiled as he looked toward Kenneth then frowned when he saw Kenneth’s injury.
"For heaven's sakes Kenneth! Go and get that cleaned up you bleeding all over my damned clean floor!" Johnson said.
Kenneth just stared at Johnson blankly for a moment before he finally complied.
"You know Johnson sometimes you can be a real pain in the ass," stated Kenneth as he stepped out of the observation deck.
"I guess that must be a mutual feeling between you two?" added Callum, breaking the tension a little more.
"Callum...go and train..." said Johnson shaking his head.
Callum complied and left the Commander alone on the observation deck, staring out into space.
"Soon my friends...soon...the battle you crave and the revenge you desire will be gained very soon," Johnson sat down in one of the chairs and allowed his mind to wonder as they began their decent onto Earth.