Mobile Suit Gundam Fan Fiction ❯ Gundam: Blood Chronicles ❯ Tears of the Moon ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I dont own Gundam...if I did, would I be sitting here in a small house typing on a computer? Didn't think so. However all characters in this story are of my own creation, however thanks to INK for his creative talents: Enforcer, Sentinel, Siren, Shocktrooper, and Grunt are his and must have his permission to use. Thank you for your time and patience, please enjoy the story.


GUNDAM
Blood Chronicles

By: Death Emperor Daeron


CHAPTER 8
-Tears of the Moon-

-U.C. 0089.10.14-
Von Braun Lunar City-Moon

The Zeon flagship, Genocide, finally came to the docking bay of the Lunar City. The great structures of the first Lunar City stretched through out the entire dome, and in the center stood a large tower, which on the side were the words: Anaheim Electronics; this corporate entity was the main supplier of the Zeon mobile suits. Their high level of technology and high rate of work made them highly sought after in any war or military build up. The Genocide's sleek design and weaponry was the byproduct of secret Anaheim project that went to shambles after the fall of Axis Neo Zeon, but due to the massive funding from the New Principality, the project was reenacted alongside the secretive Project Shadow, which had just been finished. The two products of this project were the Gundam Siren and the ultimate Psycommun Weapon: Psycho Gundam Mark 2. Psycho Gundam Mark 2 was a massive weapon built by the Titans during the rise of the A.E.U.G. and Karaba to deal with rebellions and with Zeon forces; however the war ended with the weapon only being 80% completed and easily destroyed by the Zeta Gundam pilot Kamille Badan. Now with the final adjustments finished and weapons systems completed, this weapon would hopefully be able to turn the war back in the favor of Zeon.
Galven stood on the bridge, his face contorted with anger; he was in no mood for more failure. Soldier’s steered clear of his area as they passed by, some not even dared to give him the periodic reports that were over due for examination. Laura was also in the same foul mood; her mind was literally torn between duty, love, and pure hatred. She had arrived on the bridge after hours of thinking about the last battle.
"Galven..." Laura approached the leader of Zeon with caution.
"What is it?" Galven asked, his mood still with the reaches of hatred and utter disbelief, "It better had be worth my time!"
Laura was silent for a moment, thinking of what to say to him. She thought of many excuses, but she knew that those would only anger him. Her mind wandered for a moment longer until she came up with a plan.
"Leave the defense of Von Braun to me," Laura said confidently.
Laura’s sudden proposal was off the wall; no one had been expecting Laura to offer this. Galven clenched his fists tightly then sighed and turned toward Laura with a neutral face, but was still very angry.
"And what makes you think that you are worthy of the command? You failed miserably to destroy your brother when I left you with the right opportunity and now you wish to use those skills in defense of the most highly sought after base!" Galven almost busted out laughing, but then he remembered something, Psycho Gundam Mark 2 was stationed in the near by 8th Luna Asteroid Baseand smiled and then said, "I think I will take you up on that offer...you will be in command of all the forces of Von Braun, and as an added bonus, you will also have Xenol X to aide you once he arrives from 8th Luna. In the meantime I will head back to Side 6 and gather the remaining forces and return here to hopefully turn the tide of this war and free the colonies at last."
Laura nodded and then saluted before walking off from the bridge, once she was far enough away she silently said to herself,” asshole.”
"Stupid naive little girl,” Galven thought with a wicked smile,” you’re nothing but a puppet in my master plan, and if I can't have Earth as my own then I will make sure no one can! So dance for me my little beauty, you’re final time before I present the grand finale!"
Galven smiled wickedly to himself as he watched the shuttle carrying Laura off towards the Lunar City the snapped, "Captain!"
"Sir!" the young captain said with a salute.
"Take us to Axis...I have a weapon that needs to be activated," Galven said with a smile as the thrusters of his ship started off followed by a small fleet.
***
Laura sat in her seat inside the shuttle, her eyes on the Genocide as it started off.
"He won't return,” Laura said silently to herself,” Filthy coward!"
Laura knew Galven all to well, she knew he was running away to Axis and if he had the chance he would move Axis out into the unexplored regions of the Solar System, beyond Side 6. She knew Galven was becoming highly unpopular with the colonies and even his own forces, after all Galven is nothing but an underling of Haman Karn, a mere remnant of a forgotten cause. She had the perfect plan, and it would succeed.
"I am a genius!"
"Ma’am?" questioned the pilot.
"What would you say to me becoming the leader of Zeon?" Laura asked, her eyes almost seemed to glow with renewed vigor.
The pilot was more or less stunned she would mention betraying Galven, but the more he thought about, Laura seemed to be more understanding of the colonists needs. The pilot seemed to be in a much lighter mood the more he thought about it.
"Ma’am, I would think the change in ownership would greatly improve the morale of the troops and you would most likely gain the backing of the colonies," The pilot said with a smile.
"That’s good to hear," Laura said with a wide smile as her idea of an Eden unfolded in her mind, "So it will be, as of today Von Braun Zeon is on its own, and after we defeat the Federation we will crush the remains of Galven's Zeon! Seig Zeon!"
Laura and pilot laughed aloud as the approached the docking bay of Von Braun. Once on the inside of Von Braun, Laura stepped out into the large city and was greeted by many soldiers and tacticians.
"Prepare the army! We need to defend this city with our lives...also I need to be broadcasted ASAP, I have a special announcement,” Laura said.
“Yes ma’am,” one of the soldiers said.
Laura smiled as her comrades ran off to do what they had been told, it felt good to hold power.
***
On board the Alexander, the tension was thick. A massive fleet had been hastily assembled for this operation. The fleet consisted of 100 ships, two of those being flagship class ships. They were also able to gather some more mobile suits from various bases across Earth, in all their MS Forces came to roughly 300, which is far larger than they had pilots. They hoped they wouldn't need that many and that this battle would be over quickly, but hope was a luxury that none of them could afford. Everyone knew that this next battle would be tough and some people would not make it back, something everyone would have to accept when Operation OverKill got underway.
Johnson sat in the commander's chair and looked over some basic information sheets. Now that he was Grand General, he had higher obligations to fulfill and one of those was to keep track of all the ships and its soldiers.
"General..." an officer said.
"What is it,” Johnson said in a slightly irritated tone.
"You might want to have a look at this,” the officer said,” Kenneth, Hito, Callum, and Ashe are waiting for you in the observation room.”
Johnson sighed as he got up and then slowly walked toward the observation room. Once inside there was an announcement being made by Zeon from Von Braun.
"What is this," Johnson said but was quickly hushed by the others.
With a sigh he sat down and stared at the screen with the others. He was shocked when he saw who was making the announcement; it was apparent that Von Braun had a new commander.
“Isn’t that Laura,” Hito started.
Kenneth sighed he placed his right hand over his face and then said,” Oh God, mom and dad must be turning over in their graves right now.”
"As you all know our current leader, Galven Zelnor, had a dream...a dream to free the colonies, but I am afraid to say, he has failed once too many! So now I call on you as a unified people, the people of space, to rally behind me, Laura Baxely, and support my efforts in freeing the colonies and establishing our new Eden! Galven needlessly sacrifices his own people, he is not the savior he has been made out to be and never will be! He is nothing but a coward! As of today, the Zeon forces of Von Braun declare independence from the New Principality of Zeon, with the forces we have at our disposal we shall thwart the invasion force sent by the Federation and crush the remains of Galven's army and finally obtain peace! Seig Zeon!"
Everyone in the broadcast seemed to support Laura and her ideals. They chanted her cry, Seig Zeon. The broadcast soon ended and was replaced by an image of Laura Baxley.
"So the balance of power shifts again, it seems Zeon is full of betrayal," Johnson said carelessly.
He failed to remember that was Kenneth's sister he was talking about not to mention that Ashe was once part of Zeon and betrayed them. It seemed he was pointing out the faults in everyone that last few days. He looked up and saw scowls on the faces of his comrades.
"And what the hell is that supposed to mean?" Kenneth said sternly as he balled up a fist. Ashe grabbed his shoulder to calm him down, but he jerked away.
"It means exactly what its sounds like," Johnson still oblivious to everyone’s feelings, "Betrayal is common amongst those who are affiliated with Zeon, it was a matter of time before Galven was betrayed by his own agents."
Johnson put the folders down on the table in front of him and crossed his arms. It seemed Kenneth was taking what he had said to seriously, the mid-aged general shook his head as he stood.
"Still taking everything I say to heart? That's just like..."
Johnson didn't get to finish as Kenneth struck him with all his might. Everyone looked on with wide eyes as Johnson stumbled backwards and fell to the ground. He looked up at Kenneth who was glaring back at him. Johnson then rubbed his sore jaw and spit out some blood, he then straightened his metal mask. Callum and Hito quickly rushed over toward Johnson and helped him to his feet.
"Kenneth," Ashe said as she looked over at Kenneth and sighed, war made everyone on edge, and sometimes what someone says can be taken in a very different way.
She rested her hand on his shoulder, and he seemed to have calmed down quite a bit after releasing some built up stress on punching Johnson. Kenneth sighed before straightening up his uniform and then turned to Ashe and walked out of the room with her.
"Are you alright sir?" asked Callum.
"Fine, just fine..." Johnson said with a smile then started to chuckle and said, "Next time he wants to relieve stress, let him punch one of you."
Johnson grabbed his folders and began to walk back into the bridge while Hito and Callum accompanied him. On either side of the Alexander were Magellan Class battleships, they served as the backbone of the fleet and were highly powerful and could be quickly adjusted to carry mobile suits if needed. Not far behind was the stolen capital ship filled with mobile suits.
"General Johnson...do you think we will win this next battle?" asked Hito.
"I would be lying if I said yes, " Johnson stopped by his chair and looked at the worried expressions on Callum's and Hito's faces ten said, "Don't worry, you’re NewTypes, do your job well and there will be nothing to worry about, and besides this it war, you never know what will happen."
Johnson looked back towards the front of the ship, he could see Von Braun from here and waiting for them was the Van Braun Zeon Fleet led by Laura.
"Well it seems that the time has come for this battle to commence and we shall make the first move,” Johnson said,” Callum! Hito! Get Kenneth and Ashe and get into your Gundam's!”
"Yes sir!" Callum and Hito said in unison.
Johnson watched the two leave the bridge and then focused his mind on the battle that was apart to start.
"Okay everyone listen up! On my mark, fire a volley at the forward Musai Cruisers, I want those heavy weapons out of the way for a landing party!” Johnson said then waited a few moments, the calm before the storm was always unnerving, but at least they would make the first move,” Let Operation OverKill begin! FIRE!"
A volley mixed with missiles and beam weaponry was fired into the opposing fleet, several of the Musai Cruiser's burst into flames, the chunks of the ships slowly breaking away into the void of space.
"All mobile suit forces...launch! To all ships, support the mobile suits with volleys of missiles and beam weapons; they need to get in as close as possible!" Johnson snapped.
Johnson watched as the Alexander let go of its massive amount of mobile suits into space, he then saw four Gundam's fly out into space, now with these four out in the open, the battle will really pick up.
***
Kenneth in the Enforcer, followed by Eres, Sentinel, and Zeta Mark 2, flew into the mass of enemy ships. His eyes scanned the area before them, he saw a few larger cruisers decked out with launching platforms, he could see Hizack's, Messala's, Gaplant's, and Grunt's flying off to meet the wave of Federation fighters.
"We have enemy MS inbound! Evasive maneuvers!" Kenneth shouted.
Kenneth jerked his MS to the left and some mobile suits followed his lead and the others followed Ashe's. She was accompanied by Hito, so Kenneth wasn't worried about her too much.
"Come back safely Ashe," Kenneth thought as he returned his focus to the battle in time to draw his saber and cut into the torso of a Hizack.
Callum was behind giving cover fire with his shoulder cannon, a few rounds from his cannon exploded in space and the force caused some enemy MS to stall, which gave Kenneth and other allied MS forced plenty of time to go in close range and deal a nice blow to the enemy forces. Kenneth had one thing on his mind at the moment; as he flew over the remains of a Musai Carrier, he could see what appeared to be a larger Musai Cruiser, it was a custom design and on the side was a new Zeon symbol he had never seen before.
"Commander Kenneth, there is a NewType onboard that ship," Callum said as he caught up with Kenneth, the battles echoed in the background, "It's Laura."
"Yeah," Kenneth said with a sigh.
Several warning alarms went off again as the Gundam's sensor's picked up on a large mass of beam energy headed for them.
"Shit!" Kenneth said,” Callum move!”
Both Gundam's broke in opposite directions, as they turned they saw Gundam Siren appeared before them. It looked exactly the same except for a large beam rifle grafted into its left arm with a shield as well on its back.
"Found you brother and…Callum…you should not have come Callum" Laura said.
“Laura,” Callum said.
He could sense ting of anger and regret in her voice. They were both torn between their emotions and their sense of duty, but Laura had come too far to lose to Kenneth.
“Callum…for your own good, stay out of this! This is a family affair,” Laura said,” Now dear brother, let me show you the true strength of Gundam Siren!"
She powered up the beam rifle and fired once again, but the blast flew right past Kenneth. He turned to see the blast hit the Alexander causing the entire bridge to explode.
"Damn you!" cursed Kenneth.
He and Callum flew forward at full speed and began to fight Laura; all three mobile suits fought at high speeds. Kenneth was surprised at his sister's skills in mobile suit combat. Their saber’s clashed in space, the force behind the advanced beam weaponry of the Siren out classed the Enforcer and was tied with Sentinel. Kenneth had no choice, he pulled back and fired off several rounds of his chain gun, Callum followed suite and fired his shoulder cannon however Laura used the sturm boosters to avoid all the attacks. She suddenly stopped and fired the beam cannon, Kenneth was the intended target. A majority of the beam hit the cannon on the shoulder of the Enforcer, the rest hit Magellan Battleship, the mid section exploded and soon the rest of the ship followed.
"Laura stop this, it’s not too late!" Kenneth shouted.
“Shut up,” Laura snapped.
Kenneth tried everything he could, but his messages didn’t seem to get through to her. His console shot off sparks as he typed in the command for the Gundam to detach the shoulder cannon's remains.
"Laura!!!" yelled Callum as he flew in and engaged Laura in close range combat.
Both NewTypes fought each other at great speeds in which Kenneth couldn't track with his own eyes, his own Gundam could barely keep up. There was a sudden explosion from the two fighters, Kenneth was forced to shield his eyes, when he opened them Gundam Siren and Sentinel were both missing their right arms.
"Damn you," cursed Laura not wanting to give in, "I won't lose to you, I will have my freedom, my Eden!"
Laura powered up her beam cannon again, yet as she did so, her flagship suddenly exploded. Kenneth traced the shot and smiled when he saw that they came from the Alexander. He let out a sigh of relief; he was now a little happier knowing everyone made it into the Battle Bridge. There was sudden ringing in all the helmets, it was Johnson.
"To all pilots, Von Braun has surrendered! The forces of Zeon Von Braun have been scattered and are pulling back to 8th Luna," Johnson's voice was happy, "The Alexander and its crew will be perusing the remnants as of now, all members of the Alexander head for 8th Luna."
Laura heard the entire message, she refused to believe it at first, her mobile suit turned towards Von Braun and saw Zeon was retreating, without her orders.
“You cowards,” Laura shouted.
"Laura, you lost, just give up," Kenneth said.
"No...no no no...I won't give up! I will obtain what I want and you will not stop me!" Laura snapped.
Laura flipped a few switches and the sturm booster came on, and with great speeds Gundam Siren shot off towards the asteroid base, 8th Luna. Kenneth sighed, the burden of going after his sister was becoming stressful, but he made a promise and it must be kept.
"Callum, follow me...we are going to 8th Luna," Kenneth said sternly.
Kenneth and Callum activated the Venrier mode on their mobile suits and took off. Kenneth switched frequencies and contacted Hito and Ashe.
"Hito, Ashe, head to 8th Luna, we need to stop Laura...at all costs" Kenneth struggled to say.
The last part was a bit harder to get out, anything could happen now.
“At all costs,” Callum thought with wide eyes.
***
The remaining Zeon forces under Galven had finally returned to Axis and Side 6 Space, but the news of Laura's betrayal had already reached Galven and he was highly displeased to say the least, yet he wasn't surprised by her actions at all, he knew bringing her to Zeon was risky, she proved to be highly ambitious. Yet he somehow thought the promise of her brother’s death would calm her ambitions, it did for a while. Galven sat silently in his quarters, trying to decide what to do, he knew Laura would lose the battle, he already knew she would retreat to 8th Luna.
"8th Luna...that's it!" Galven smiled when the idea came to mind and then contacted Xenol X at 8th Luna.
"Yes Galven, sir," said the Cyber NewType.
"I am giving you the go ahead...destroy everything...including the traitor Laura Baxely...let none survive...Hail Zeon," Galven said with a salute before turning off his console.
He thought the idea of massacring an entire unit of Federation officers would be enjoyable, especially with the weapon at 8th Luna at 100 percent completion. Deep inside he knew that not even Xenol and experimental weapon could stop the Federation now...only his new secret weapon would. He started up his console again, this time contacting the leader of Side 6.
"General...I want all the Colony Laser's on standby...all pointed at Earth's polar regions,” Galven said with a smile.
"Yes Galven, sir," The General saluted and the screen went blank again.
Galven laughed to himself, now it was just a matter of time before all the pieces fell into place.
***
Laura had been chased down by her former comrades of the Earth Federation, she tried every trick she could think of to get away. While flying through the metal halls of the base, she found the docking bay for mobile suits and ships and was relieved to see one last shuttle. She realized she had failed her personal mission, screwed up her chances at an Eden and betrayed the Zeon forces.
"Seems like I need a place to escape to...an exile," Laura was about to deactivate her Gundam when she sensed four mobile suits entering the bay. "Damn those persistent bastards!"
"Laura!" Kenneth entered first, followed by Callum, Ashe, and finally Hito.
"Come back with us, there is still..." Callum tried to plea.
"NO! I can't...won't come back." Laura's voice was tinged with sadness, "I've done far too much to turn back away from what life I had chosen.”
“You make it sound like you’re the only one who has made some wrong choices,” Ashe snapped.
“You don’t understand,” Laura said,” I failed my personal mission…to…to…"
"To kill me," Kenneth said, there was a long silence among them all, and then Kenneth broke the silence with a sigh and then said," Why?"
"Why? WHY?! You smothered me; I couldn't be free on my own terms!" Laura's voice echoes through everyone's helmet, "You controlled every aspect of my life and the only way for me to be free was for you to... to die."
"Yeah, I admit that I might have been a little bit of a control freak, but I’m your brother, that’s what I’m supposed to do! It's what I promised mom and dad before...before they died."
"What do you mean, promised," Laura asked as she started to slowly calm down.
"Before the gas attack on our home, our parents asked me to look after you should anything happen to them...and not long after that…they died! I kept my promise to them, I kept us from being separated by joining the Federation forces, I joined to support us so we could remain a family," Kenneth said with a heavy sigh.
Laura stared at her screen that was projecting the view before her. The image became blurry and she wiped away a few tears.
"He only did what was best for me…"Laura thought as she wiped the tears from her eyes.
Laura's thoughts went back to all the times Kenneth told her to do something; she realized she was over reacting. Laura smiled; her personal mission was failed and yet succeeded.
"Kenneth...there is something approaching...it's huge!" reported Hito, "There is no way something could be that big! Its...it has to be a mobile armor..."
Laura heard Hito giving his report and thought for a moment then said, "Oh no.”
Laura turned her mobile suit around, as she did two large optic eyes lit up and the sounds of mechanical legs resounded through the metal interior of the base.
"Kenneth...this is a secret weapon designed after Psycho Gundam Mark 2...we cannot hope to beat it here!" Laura said.
Indeed the monstrous mobile suit stepped out. It towered over the others with its massive size and the weapons primed for combat.
"Good day to all mobile suits of the Federation...let me grant you passage to the after life!" Xenol's voice echoed into the headsets of the opposing mobile suits.
Small little reflector devices known as Deflector Bits came out and surrounded Psycho Gundam Mark 2, the numerous beam emplacements powered up and let off a shower of beams all directed at the mobile suits before him. They all scattered in different directions, all the beams missing.
"Gotcha!" Hito said as he fired off his beam rifle a few times, yet when it came into contact with the Psycho Gundam it dissipated, "What the hell?"
"It's using an I-Field technology...no beam weapons will have effect on it," reported Laura, she was slightly shocked when Xenol attacked her, but she imagined Galven had ordered him to do so, "Only solid shell weapons will damage it...unfortunately the armor has been reinforced with Gundarium composite and a high density steel...it would take a pay load of missile to even scratch this thing," Laura shouted.
"Seems like Galven was planning on wiping out the Federation with this weapon" Callum said as he dodged and barrage of beams from the beast of a mobile suit.
"Exactly," Laura said glumly.
There was another way to disable the I-Field, but that meant someone would have to sacrifice themselves for it stop.
"Listen,” Laura said as her gundam dodged an oncoming attack,” An explosion from one these Gundam's power cores could possibly disengage the I-Field."
"Stop moving so I can crush you," Xenol said as powered up the three main beam cannons.
He fired them off the force of the weapon ripped through the entire asteroid base.
“Christ,” Callum shouted,” this guy is crazy!”
"I will make your death quick...and painful!" Xenol said as he began to laugh maniacally.
The two hands of the mobile suit disconnected from the arms and two beam sabers emerged from the hands, they began flying around the room chasing after the other mobile suits. Hito and Callum recognized the feeling they had been receiving, this was the same Cyber NewType they had faced at Air Base Cross. This new weapon seemed to enhance his skills even more, making him highly dangerous to normal pilots. The battle continued as more of a hit and run situation, however the attacks continued to have no effect on the opposing mobile suit.
Kenneth by this point had become highly aggravated; this fight was highly unfair, even a high caliber pilot couldn’t defeat this weapon. What Laura had said about an explosion from one of the power cores being the only solution played over and over in his mind, the possibility of it working was high especially if the power core was on the same frequency. Kenneth flew over to a space on the battlefield behind some rubble of a collapsed tunnel and examined the weapon systems of his mobile suit. All his weapons were made from beam weaponry which would need a high out put core to support such armaments. That’s when the idea came to his mind; he would use his Gundam to destabilize the I-Field surrounding Psycho Gundam Mark 2.
"Hito! Callum, give me cover fire!" commanded Kenneth, "I'm going in!"
"What? Are you crazy?!" questioned Ashe.
"Look, I need your support in this,” Kenneth shouted,” I'm going to activate the self destruct sequence from the power core of my Gundam and I need one of you to pick me up when I jump out!"
Kenneth took one last look at the Psycho Gundam Mark 2 as it began firing off its huge weapons again. The situation seemed grim and almost impossible to accomplish, but someone had to do it. Without waiting for the others to protest he activated the venrier mode on his Gundam and took off towards the Psycho Gundam.
“Kenneth,” Ashe shouted.
"What a fool are you?!" Xenol laughed,” You can’t launch a sneak attack against me!”
A few of the Reflector Bits got into position and the monster let out a barrage directed at Kenneth.
"Shit!" Kenneth cursed as he tried to dodge the oncoming barrage.
A warning went off indicating his thrusters had over heated and venrier mode would be disengaged.
"Damn it!" Kenneth said as he looked up and saw the oncoming blasts,” I’m a sitting duck!”
The Gundam stalled in mid air and the last few beams collided with Kenneth's mobile suit destroying the head and left arm with the gatling gun.
"Kenneth!" Laura yelled as she watched Psycho Gundam pick up Gundam Enforcer.
Kenneth began to chuckle to himself, he was caught so easily…the kind of mistake an amateur would make. Sparks flew from his console as the Psycho Gundam's grip tightened around the torso of the Enforcer. The cockpit wouldn't open and there was no other escape hatch installed in this unit. The other Gundams tried to rush in to help, but Psycho Gundam continued to unleash a barrage of blasts, forcing them to stay away and watch as Psycho slowly began to crush Enforcer.
"Talk about drawing the short straw. It’s times like this that prison doesn’t sound so bad,” Kenneth said with a sigh then pushed a few button on the console and the cockpit turned red as the warning lights came on.
Kenneth then activated his communications to the Alexander, Ashe, Hito, Callum, and Laura.
"Callum…Hito…it has been a pleasure training and working with the two of you,” Kenneth said.
“Sir,” Callum and Hito said.
“You must win…no matter what! Remember all of your training and think of this, when you die and go to where ever you go, I will be there to hound you for eternity,” Kenneth said then sighed and said,” Laura…I know I’ve screwed up, but I want you to know I that I love you and I’m so proud of you, just as mom and dad would be.”
“Kenneth,” Laura said as her eyes began to tear up.
“Ashe…looks like I’m going to have to break my promise, but I expect you to keep your,” Kenneth said as a tear ran down the side of his face.
“K…Kenneth, please, don’t say things like that,” Ashe said as she wiped the tears from her eyes.
“Johnson, you can be a real asshole at times, but so can I. Sorry about that cheap shot earlier, I leave them in your hands my friend" Kenneth said with a smile.
Kenneth could hear the protests from his fellow Gundams, but he chose not to acknowledge them. Kenneth looked at his console as the counter reached the last ten seconds, he looked in the direction of the Psycho Gundam.
"See you in hell you bastard!" Kenneth shouted.
Everyone watched as the Gundam Enforcer exploded in the hands of Psyco Gundam Mark 2. Smoldering pieces of the Enforcer fell to the ground, the metal of the former Gundam clattering as it hit the steel floors.
***
Johnson was silent in his chair aboard the Alexander, his head hung low. He slammed his fist into the console before him, cracking some of the buttons. Johnson looked at his knuckles that were now bleeding; he then looked towards 8th Luna, his face blank.
"Kill him," Johnson muttered.
“Sir,” one of the officers asked.
"Forget the damn rules of war! Kill that damn bastard in any way possible!" Johnson snapped.
The officers aboard the Alexander looked at Johnson in shock.
"Sir, we were told..." the officer near Johnson tried to speak, but was interrupted by an enraged General Johnson.
"I don't give a damn what you were told!" snapped Johnson, "I order all units inside 8th Luna to destroy Psycho Gundam Mark 2! No damn prisoner of war this time! Send that asshole to his grave!"
"Y...yes sir," responded the shaken officer, "All Gundam units....destroy Psycho Gundam...use any and all means necessary!"
***
The smoke had cleared by this point and the Psycho Gundam Mark 2 still stood, yet the I-Field had been disabled. Hito, Callum, Laura, and Ashe heard Johnson's commands and were glad enough to comply. Ashe looked at the remains of Enforcer, her heart was filled with rage and sorrow, and without so much as a word to the others she engaged the murderer.
"Yes, charge me like your friend before you!" laughed Xenol, "Even without the I-Field, I will still crush you!"
The two wire guided hands shot off with the beam sabers active. Ashe countered the left arm and then the right, but she couldn't possibly hold him off on her own for long. Hito and Callum soon joined in and the right hand went to fight the two NewTypes. Laura stayed back since she could fight in close range, yet she prepared to fire off her mega cannon when the others were ready for to.
"Hito, on your right!" Callum yelled as a group of Reflector Bits came into range.
"Got it!" answered Hito.
Hito used his beam rifle to destroy the Reflector Bits on his side then went back to aide Callum. Ashe was doing a fine job on her own, while flying around she used her Funnel's to destroy the remaining Reflector Bits.
"Looks like your long range weaponry is out Xenol!" said Ashe as she parried the attacks of the left hand.
"I don't need these weapons to destroy you! I will rip you apart like your friend!" Xenol snapped as he withdrew the hands back to the Psycho Gundam Mark 2 and quickly changed into Fortress Mode, "Now prepare to die!"
The three main cannons on the front of the weapon fired off, yet without the Reflector Bits, the beams were easily dodged and they hit a wall in 8th Luna, blowing a hole into space. As the hole appeared, hundreds of GM II's and Nemo's flew in and surrounded Psycho Gundam Mark 2. Xenol stared at the opposition and knew escape was his only chance; he activated the Sturm Booster on the Gundam.
"I don't think so! You killed my brother and now I will kill you!" Laura shouted as the tears ran down her face.
She fired off her Mega Cannon, the beam hitting the Sturm Booster as it powered up. The explosion caused the Psycho Gundam to revert into Gundam Mode. "Everyone, attack!" The GM II's and Nemo's, along with Eres, Siren, Zeta Mark 2, and Sentinel fired off a barrage at the monstrous weapon of Zeon.
"No! I cannot die! I will not di...."
Xenol X was unable to finish his sentence as his cockpit erupted in an explosion that soon engulfed the Psycho Gundam Mark 2, thus ending the threat of Zeon and the great battle at Von Braun.
***
The remains of the Zeon fleet of Von Braun drifted in space, marking a new grave for those who fought for the freedom of the colonies. The bridge of the Alexander was silent as they passed the space in between 8th Luna and the Moon. Johnson stepped up from his seat and looked at the people who had gathered on bridge after the great battle. Liuetenant Callum, a rookie NewType pilot from California Base, he had became a great pilot because of Kenneth; Callum's rise through training reminded Johnson of when Kenneth first joined Midnight Cosmos as a rookie pilot. Next to Callum was Ensign Hito, a great mobile suit pilot from the start, but his skills were honed thanks to the rigorous training given by Kenneth during the first days of this new war. Next to one of the big windows was Ashe, Kenneth's long time lover, she tried to be strong at times, not showing any weakness, but all he saw now was a broken woman who mourned the loss of the one she loved most. Finally Johnson looked at Laura, who's head was hung low, he eye's shielded by her hair, Johnson knew she was waging an inner war, it wasn't her fault that Kenneth died, but she would have to figure out that on her own. Johnson then thought of himself and the things Kenneth had done for him, probably to much to list since both were involved in two wars. The ship came close to 8th Luna and the sorrow within the bridge was thick in the air.
"All hands...salute," commanded Johnson as they passed the grave of Commander Kenneth, "To all those who have fallen today...we will remember them forever as they fought bravely for the Federation and for the people of Earth...these are the true hero's...the ones who have fallen..."
Ashe finally broke down and clutched her hands around Kenneth's dog tags.
"I will keep my promise Kenneth...I will live on...for you."