Mobile Suit Gundam Fan Fiction ❯ Gundam: Blood Chronicles ❯ Grave of Stars ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I dont own Gundam...if I did, would I be sitting here in a small house typing on a computer? Didn't think so. However all characters in this story are of my own creation, however thanks to INK for his creative talents: Enforcer, Sentinel, Siren, Shocktrooper, and Grunt are his and must have his permission to use. Thank you for your time and patience, please enjoy the story.


GUNDAM
Blood Chronicles

By: Death Emperor Daeron


CHAPTER 9
-Grave of Stars-


-U.C. 0089.10.20-
Alexander, near Side 6 Space


Silence.
Nothing moved within the halls of the Federation Flagship; Alexander. Six days ago a great and decisive battle took place at the Moon's largest city, the Lunar City, Von Braun. Death and anguish was the prize for the Earth Federation, the battle may have been quick, but the death toll was massive. The Secondary Fleet suffered 20,000 casualties, which is 80 percent of the Secondary Fleet's forces, the main fleet, lead by the Midnight Cosmos, lost only 1,200 in the initial fighting, but these losses included the ace pilot, Kenneth Baxley. The brave soldiers of the Erth Federation seemed to be dropping like flies against the tactics of the Zeon forces, even though the war was coming to a close, no one knew the true outcome of the war until all the remains of Zeon is completely destroyed.
On one of the observation decks stood Callum, his mind searched through the past events. Some joyous and other filled with tragedy.
"Johnson changed after the death of Kenneth...he declared a new campaign...total annihilation of Zeon..." Callum couldn't help to think that was wrong, he knew Zeon was their enemy, but like Laura, most of them are fighting for a liar and a coward. Some soldiers of Zeon joined the ranks of the Federation wanting revenge on Galven for killing their families on the colonies. Callum's trust in Johnson had been definatley shaken when he declared this new campaign. Callum stared out the windows that were pointed at another side of the ship, he could make out the faint outline of a person standing in the opposing observation deck, she was evidently crying, and Callum knew who it was. "Laura..." Callum turned away from the window and walked out of the room.
***
Sadness.
Thats how Laura felt, she kept much of her emotions hidden, she was trying to be strong and she was failing at it. She felt her entire world failling apart, the seams of life itself seemed to break apart and a tide of emotions break their way into her already fragile life. At the time when she needed her brother most, he wasnt here, and that was her fault.
"Laura..." a gentle voice from behind disturbed her from her trance into space.
"Callum?!" Laura turned and was surprised to see Callum standing behind her, she slowly backed away, her back pressing against the glass of the observation room. "Wha...what are you doing here?"
"It's okay Laura..." said Callum with confidence and caring in his tone. She at first didn't know what he was talking about, but the message soon got to her, through her heart. Her eyes became blurry and she felt her world was spinning as the emotions she tried so hard to hide came in her full force. Laura ran forward into Callum and she cried into his chest. He proceeded to wrap his arms around her and he let her cry for as long as she needed. Her crying slowed down quite abit and she looked up at Callum. "Laura, I will be here for you always..." He leaned into her and kissed her, and it lasted for a minute. They broke apart from their kiss, both satsified that their love was finally brough together.
"Callum, can you promise me one thing..." asked Laura.
"Anything Laura..." answered Callum.
"Live...don't die...and come back to me." explained Laura.
"I will as long as you do the same." added Callum. Laura nodded and looked out into the sea of stars before them. The final battle was approaching soon. "We should get some sleep Laura..." Callum, with Laura in hand, left the observation deck and went to their rooms. In the shadows of the hall was Ashe, she had heard everything they had said to each other. Ashe smiled to herself.
"Kenneth...their love is so much like ours..." Ashe smiled wider thinking of the first time they met. "They even made our same promise...I hope that they will be able to keep theirs...and I will keep ours...for your sake, for your memory...and for our love." Ashe turned away and walked down the corridor and in to her room. She glanced at the last picture her and Kenneth took long ago, she blew a kiss to the photograph and then went to sleep, waiting for the upcoming battle.
***
Within the docking bay of the Alexander was Johnson and Hito. Both had been working non stop on a mobile suit. It was large and boxey in design like most mobile suits. This weapon was designed after the Guncannon, sporting a dual shoulder mounted beam cannon, its other weapons included dual beam rifles double gatling guns on both forearms that came equipped with solid and beam shells. Finally on the outer part of both legs were missile salvos. This mobile suit is called Gundam Blaze, and is the remake of Kenneth's old Gundam from the war with Neo Zeon. Originally had been intended for Kenneth's use but it had not been outfitted with the Space Vernian Thrusters, so space combat was no available at the time. The cockpit was also state of the art, with a 360 panaramic screen allowing maximum efficency.
Hito had finished the callabrations of the Gundam's new Vernian Thrusters when a thought came to mind.
"Johnson, who will be piloting this new Gundam?"
"I will..." answered Johnson blandly as he continued to work out the controls inside the cockpit.
"Sir? You will be piloting...I mean your going to be fighting?" questioned Hito. Johnson was quiet for sometime before answering.
"Look, during the war with Neo Zeon, I formed the elite task force, the Midnight Cosmos, to aide those members of the A.E.U.G.. I was a Gundam pilot and my mobile suit was Gundam Zenith and Kenneth's was Gundam Blaze." Johnson stopped his work and remembered those great battles. "We were fighting against a Neo Zeon elite fleet known as the Helspawn...imagine Marine's in space. I had just been promoted to Commander and Kenneth was fresh out of the Federation Academy in Jaburo...and our battles were great...Hito, in your studies you heard of the Battle of Serona 9, it says the Federation won that battle, it was actually the Midnight Cosmos...that were the Helspawn Ace pilot, Andreus, died and that also stopped them from dropping Serona 9 on Earth...and not long after...Neo Zeon was defeated, we never made it to the final great battle in Gryps Space..."
"So, your piloting Gundam Blaze out of memory of Kenneth..." asked Hito, slightly stunned by the General's hidden past.
Johnson smiled to himself inside the cockpit as the controls came to life. "Yes...for memory....and for revenge..."
***
-U.C. 0089.10.21-
Axis, Side 6 Space


Galven studied the map before him, the digital images of only a few ships surprised him.
"Fool, only sending seven of your ships to fight against me?" Galven laughed to himself. "With the death of your ace pilot, there is nothing to stop me!" Galven looked over the proposed tactics to be used in battle, but none of them sat with him well. "What kind of army am I running?! These plans are worthless!" Galven drew up some of his own plans and handed them to an officer.
"Yes sir!" the officer saluted and walked out with plans in hand.
"Let the Feddi scum come my newest weapon will be here to greet them!" Galven was definately pleased with the plan he had, the construction of the Colony Laser had been completed on schedule, the colony mirrors would reflect the suns rays into another solar collector and concentrate the light of the sun into a beam of heat that could wipe out and entire planet if charged long enough. One thing did bother Galven, and that was Laura and Ashe, both could possibly know about the colony weapon, but even now, it wouldnt matter. Galven looked towards the stars in the battlefield and smiled wickedly before departing towards his hangar to get his old mobile suit ready for combat.
***
The Midnight Cosmos approached Side 6, and in the distance they could see the Zeon fleet already in position. Johnson sat in his chair looking at the fleet before him. He looked to his right to ask Kenneth for advice and remembered he wasnt here anymore. Johnson shook his head and prepared to give his final commands.
"Listen up...Im going out into the battlefield...I want all of you to know you have been a great crew...when the mobile suits launch I want you to keep a constant barrage towards their ships...and if you must, pull back to Earth...Zeon will fall on this day! All those who have fallen with be avenged!" Everyone cheered on the bridge of the Alexander. There was a sudden alarm going off and the bridge turned red as the warning lights came on.
"Johnson...we have enemy mobile suit forces on the move! They will be within in range of our guns in five minutes!" reported an officer.
"Dont waster ammo on the mobile suits...let our mobile suits handle the enemy MS forces..." Johnson picks up a mic and speaks into it. "All mobile suit pilots, report to your stations and prepare for launch! All other personelle, prepare for battle!" Johnson sat down the mic and straightened his metal mask and smiled. He saluted to the crew and walked out of the bridge. He walked down the corridors of the ship, thinking this might be his last time. Arriving at the Mobile Suit Bay, Hito, Callum, Laura, and Ashe were waiting for him.
"Sir!" all four saluted. "Gundam pilots reporting!"
"Kenneth would be proud...now lets make these Zeon bastards regret that battle at Von Braun and 8th Luna!" yelled Johnson with energy.
"Yes sir!" said all four in unison. Everyone scrambled to their Gundam's. Soon they each began to rise out of the ships bay and into the sea of stars itself.
"Gundams, Sentinel, Eres, Siren, Zeta Mark 2, and Blaze launch in 5...4...3...2...1...LAUNCH!" The catapult jerked them into space, the force from the jerk made Johnson choke.
"Ugh...havent done this in a long time..." Johnson got situated in the Gundam and checked the controls. The alarm suddenly went off. "Shit!" Johnson throttled backwards and then up to avoid the missiles launched by some Grunts. "Missiles huh? Try these!" The leg compartments on the right leg opened up and let a large volley of missiles, it managed to destroy two Grunts and damaged another.
"Sir, are you okay?" asked Ashe as she fired her beam rifle at a few incoming Hizacks effectively destroying them.
"I'm fine...its just been awhile..." Johnson looked around the battlefield as the Musai Battleships began to fire at the Salamis ships. "Hito, Ashe, I want you two to cover those Salamis battleships! Callum, Laura, your with me!" Everyone shot off into space and into different parts of the battle field.
***
Galven watched the battle with anticipation from the control center of Axis.
"Another act in my play...the stage is space...and actors are playing their parts accourdingly...now for the final twist in this play..."Galven turned towards some of the soldiers in the room. "Activate the Colony Laser...attack those two Salamis ships..."
"Yes sir!" the soldier flicked a few swtiches. "Energy collection grid at 100% efficency...60 minutes until Colony Laser is ready for fire..." Galven popped his knuckles and watched the power meter climb up.
"Soon...oh so soon! I will get to watch the Federation fry!" Galven laughed.
"Sir! We have enemy mobile suits inbound, they have broken the front line." reported a middle aged Zeon soldier.
"Maybe they do know of my plan...Prepare the Axis Defense Squad, I am joining the battle..." Galven walked out of the control center of Axis and down a series of corridors and into one of the numerous hangar's of Axis. Inside he laid eyes upon his old mobile suit that he used during his years working for Neo Zeon under Haman Kharn. It was a red and silver Gelgoog Marine Custom. He furthered the mobile suit by adding high out put vernian thrusters and a high output Beam Magnata. The platform rose up towards the cockpit of the mobile suit and he entered, once strapped in he flicked a few swtiches and the controls came to life.
"General Zelnor will launch in 5...4...3...2...1...LAUNCH!" The catapult system installed in Axis launched him out of the hangar and directly into space, he was soon accompanied by several Shocktrooper Mobile Suits.
"For the glory of Zeon, we shall not fail!" declared Galven as he went into the battle.
Not far from Galven's position was Callum, Laura, and Johnson. Their sensors picked up signals of incoming mobile suits, so they decided to stay behind some wreckage. The sensors detected the mobile suits were within range.
"Now!" commanded Johnson as he in Gundam Blaze flew out firing off his gatling guns. Laura came flying in and took out two of the Shocktroopers with her sabre and Callum took out one with his shoulder mounted cannon and then followed up by taking another one out by using the missiles in the right forearm.
"Got them sir!" reported Laura. However two more flew out from behind Galven's mobile suit, except these were painted red. "What the?"
"Looks like two more ace pilots..." said Callum.
"Of course not..." answered Galven. "These are A.I. controlled weapons...a new system I designed...oh and these weapons are based off the battle data our forces collected on your ace pilot, Kenneth Baxley, they use all of his techniques and strategies! Enjoy fighting the ghost of your former ally! ATTACK!"
"Callum, Laura, take care of those mobile suits...Galven is mine!" Johnson flew off without them getting a chance to protest. The two A.I. Shocktroopers came flying in and Callum and Laura engaged them in battle. One of the Shocktroopers activated his vernian thrusters and flew towards Callum and Laura, letting a spray of beams from the two waist mounted chain guns. The two Gundam pilots used their shields to block the surprise attack. The other Shocktrooper fired off a series of missiles which Laura used her last two decoy rounds and the missiles hit them instead.
"These might be based off my brothers skills....but they aren't him!" Laura flew forward with her sabre drawn and cut into the torso of one of the Shocktroopers. "They have no heart!" She turned around and fired off her fully charged Beam Cannon completely incenerating the other Shocktrooper.
"Laura...good job..." said Callum. His alarms went off as a dozen Hizacks came into position. "Shit! Laura we have company!"
"Callum...we have to hold them off so Johnson can defeat Galven!" yelled Laura as both Gundam flew into the oncoming Zeonic hoard.
Near Side 6 Colony 01 Galven and Johnson were in a fierce fight. The Gundam Blaze had the firepower to defeat Galven, but Johnson lacked the skill.
"Your pathetic Johnson!" laughed Galven doding the Beam Gatling Gun. "You were once an Ace pilot...was it what I did to Gundam Zenith all those years ago destroy your skills as well!?" Johnson remained silent as he fired off the two main cannons, and then followed by the last salvo of missiles. However Galven's mobile suit was too fast. "Seems your running out of ammo Johnson! What next? You know as well as I do that Gundam is not designed for close range combat!" Galven flew in at high speed and activated his Beam Magnata knowing this was the end.
"Yeah...it was along time ago!" smiled Johnson as he flicked a switch. The left Gatling gun popped off and a Beam Sabre shot out. Both beam weapons crossed forcing both opponents back.
"What?! You installed a Beam Sabre on that mobile suit?!" Galven was surprised and shocked. He knew that Johnson's Gundam Zenith was designed for close combat, which he excelled in, and he knew he couldnt win. "No matter...it's time for my surprise now!" Galven looked down as the counter reached zero. Colony 01 seemed to glow a bright orange and the glass cyllinder shook and broke apart.
"What the hell?!" Johnson watched as the Colony began to glow brighter. At the front it seemed to have been modified and thats when Johnson realized what it was. "You...you built a colony laser?!" The colony fired off a large beam of heat energy towards the two Salamis battleships. The energy made the hulls buckle and almost melt before the exploded, the Colony Laser also took out two Musai Cruisers and also destroyed the flagship.
"Ah, seems some of my own men got in thw way of my weapon...oh well." laughed Galven. "As you can see this weapon is much more powerful than a normal colony laser! The next target...Earth! This heat will destroy the atmosphere and cause a series of cataclysmic events to follow...earth quakes...tornados...typhoons...and much more! The Earth will be come highly unstable and everyone will be forced into space!" Johnson was silent, he was in utter shock someone would destroy entire colonies to get back at Earth. Johnson looked around and could see Colony 02, Colony 03 and Colony 04 were also outfitted to become Colony Laser's. Something in Johnson snapped and ignoring the fact Galven's mobile suit was faster than his, he flew forward with the Beam Sabre fully powered. Galven was too busy laughing to realize Gundam Blaze was almost infront of him, when Galven opened his eyes it was too late. Gundam Blaze used the right hand and grabbed the head of the Gelgoog Marine.
"What the...?" Galven could only see te metal outline of Gundam Blaze. Suddenly the optics of the Gundam flickered on. The two red eyes of Gundam Blaze staring at Galven. The camer started to go fuzzy as the Gundam increased the hold on the head. "No...I can't lose to you!"
"Too late...you laready had...have you always wondered how Andreus from the Helspawn fleet died...just like this!" Johnson used one of the Beam Rifles and pointed it at the cockpit of the Gelgoog Marine and fired an entire round into the cockpit. Gundam Blaze threw the broken Mobile suit into space as it exploded. Johnson sat there in the cockpit, silent, his mind numb from this battle. It felt like he could hear the voices from everyone on the battlefield, he could hear their thoughts, their emotions, and their cries as they were dying. He opened his eyes and shrugged the feeling away and flew back to the Alexander.
Callum and Laura were floating side by side in an embrace, both of their Gundam's destroyed by the sudden onslaught of Zeon forces. The Alexander sent out a Rescue Crew to get Callum and Laura before they ran out of oxygen. Hito and Ashe had returned to the Alexander after sustaining severe damage after the Colony Laser fired off near the Salamis and were waiting for the return of Johnson and the others. Soon Laura and Callum were on the bridge after being rescued by a crew.
"So it's finally over?" asked Laura.
"Yeah...this war is...but there will always be another..." answered Hito as they Alexander approached the Gundam Blaze. A GM Recovery Crew broight the mobile suit into the docking bay. Once is was secured everyone gathered around the cockpit as it opened. The large metal door slid open and everyone was happy.
"What...it's..empty?!" said Hito in surprise. Laura jumped up into the cockpit and all that was left behind was his metal mask. Laura smiled to herself, she knew why Johnson left.
"Liutenant Hito...report Johnson as killed in action..." smiled Laura.
"What?" asked Hito in surprise.
"I think Johnson needs a break." answered Callum. "He fought for what he believed in for a long time..." Hito finally understood and went to file the paper work while the others stood and stared at the empty cockpit. Soon Ashe was the last one standing there.
"So Johnson...were did you actually go?" Ashe shrugged and walked away, the lights of the hangar bay flickering off leaving only the remains of the Gundam's inside.