Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ 12 Days of Christmas ❯ Silver Bells ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

“Can't we go without the annoying little bells this year?”
 
“You're such a grouch! I love the jingling the bells make. They sound like Christmas!” Iruka grinned as he placed small silver bells in various places; handles, the mistletoe, on the tree, and so forth.
 
“I don't get what this whole Christmas thing is about.” Kakashi mumbled, and heard the sound of a pair of bells falling to the ground.
 
“What?! Oh Kakashi! You're more traumatized that I thought! You poor thing!” Iruka rushed to his side and latched onto his arm, taking Kakashi by surprise. “It's a wonderful time of year! Don't you feel it?” When Kakashi shook his head, Iruka frowned. He tugged on Kakashi's arm and got him to sit on the couch. He lit a fire in the fire place and took a step back. He looked out the window; the sun had already set. Perfect. Iruka went around and turned off all the lights, Kakashi gave him a sly grin when he returned and Iruka laughed, turning on the Christmas tree lights, and he sat down next to him.
 
“Oh, so what now?” Kakashi asked, still grinning mischievously.
 
“We cuddle.” Iruka said, as he nuzzled into Kakashi.
 
“That's it?” Kakashi asked, slightly disappointed. Iruka only nodded. Kakashi was going to say something further, but Iruka pressed a finger to his lips-or rather, his mask where his lips where. Kakashi sighed a bit, but wrapped an arm around his chuunin teacher, pulling him closer. He looked around at the decorations, lit by the little lights on the tree and the fire.
 
“Isn't it lovely?” Iruka asked, and Kakashi nodded in agreement. Kakashi had to admit, there was a special feel to them. Sure, they looked nice, but it was the fun they'd had putting it up, and those memories that made it special. It was the time he'd spent with Iruka. Kakashi smiled as he finally started to understand this Christmas thing, and he remembered a time long ago, when he'd spent Christmas with his family. Iruka started humming a song Kakashi recognized.
 
Silver Bells. How amusing. Kakashi grinned down at Iruka, who smiled up at him in return. Iruka and Kakashi sang together.
 
“Wow, Kakashi, you know the whole song?” Iruka asked, smiling at his lover.
 
“I hear something once and I memorize it. It's a gift.” Kakashi laughed, and Iruka grinned. Iruka moved his head and Kakashi grumbled as he heard that evil jingling. “What the…” Kakashi looked down and saw Iruka used a pair of bells to hold his hair up. Kakashi sighed. “You're a strange one.”
 
“Yes.” Iruka snuggled more. They stayed like that for awhile. “Say, Kakashi, how about we go to bed now?”
 
“But I'm not … Oh! I hear you.” Kakashi beamed. Wait a second. “Are you going to keep those ridiculous bells in?”
 
“Yes.” Iruka giggled and pulled Kakashi up off the couch.
 
Kakashi never thought the sound of silver bells to be annoying again after that night, and often used the expression; “I'll be there with bells on.” As somewhat of a code with Iruka. So when he asked Naruto to come over, and he replied “I'll be there with bells on.” Kakashi had a small twitching fit and shuddered as he quickly walked away. When Iruka asked what was wrong when Kakashi got home, he said nothing. Instead, he pulled Iruka towards the shower, thinking he needed to be cleansed in two different ways. Eventually, Kakashi told him, and the next day, Iruka requested Naruto never say the saying again. Naruto didn't understand, but then again, he thought, it's better that he didn't.