Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ 12 Days of Christmas ❯ Love ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I'm dreamin' tonight of a place I love
Even more then I usually do
And although I know it's a long road back
I promise you
 
Kakashi propelled himself through the trees, making his way into the land of Suna for a special S-ranked assassination mission. The farther he got from Konoha, the more his heart ached. He had it set up so that he'd be home for Christmas, and he'd promised it to his precious person. But the plans had changed in the last minute, and so here he was, out in the cold, on a mission, on Christmas Eve. He wouldn't make it back until the day after Christmas, even if he hurried. Kakashi clutched a wallet-sized picture of Iruka in his hands as he continued on.

I'll be home for Christmas
You can count on me
Please have snow and mistletoe
And presents under the tree
It had started to snow, the day prior to leaving, adding more of a Christmas feel to the streets and buildings of Konohagakure. Kakashi hardly remembered when Christmas was a special time for him; when he'd gotten that special warm Christmas Eve-type feel. After all, Christmas was a only great if you weren't alone. But that day, before leaving, as he cuddled up with Iruka on the couch in front of a fire, by the tree, he'd felt it. He'd felt it very strong. Iruka had hummed many different familiar Christmas tunes as he nuzzled into his shoulder.
 
Christmas Eve will find me
Where the love light gleams
I'll be home for Christmas
Kakashi got that Christmas Eve feeling now, as he remembered yesterday. He smiled down at the picture.
 
If only in my dreams
 
Christmas Eve will find me
Where the love light gleams
Kakashi thought of the living room, decorated by Iruka and himself. Yes, it certainly had a special Christmas feel to it. Not because of the decorations, but the because of the good time he and Iruka had putting them up.

I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams
 
When Kakashi arrived back home December 26th, he opened a door to quite a surprise. There Iruka, Naruto, and Sasuke stood, happily looking at him.
 
“Merry Christmas, Kakashi!” They spoke in unison, and Kakashi laughed.
 
“But it was yesterday.” He said simply.
 
“Oh, Kakashi. Didn't you know?” Iruka smiled and walked over to his lover. “Where ever you find love, you find Christmas.”
 
If only in my dreams.
 
Kakashi frowned slightly. Could it really be that simple? Was love really the main attribute to Christmas? Kakashi thought for a moment. He remembered Iruka saying something about people being kinder, and happier during this time of the year. Could it be it was because of love? He laughed at himself.
 
“For a genius, you sure are a moron.” Sasuke stated. Usually, Kakashi would be glaring kunai at him for such a remark, but this time he agreed. He knew many things about ninja skills, but knew near nothing about feelings, and people.
 
“Now, come on, Kakashi, I fixed you some hot chocolate!” Iruka beamed, latching onto Kakashi's arm and leading him into the kitchen.
 
“Is there alcohol in it?” Kakashi put on a goofy grin.
 
“You're not drinking in front of the kids!” Iruka shot him a look that made him shut up immediately.
 
“Hey! We're not kids!” Naruto pouted.
 
“Oh, fine, `young adults'.” Iruka corrected, and sat down in a chair next to Kakashi. Said man breathed in the scent of the hot chocolate. Taking his mask off, he then took a sip. It instantly warmed him up, and he felt a lot better. Kakashi wrote a mental. Making sure not to forget it.
 
`Home is where the heart is, the heart is love, and love is Christmas.'
 
“So Kakashi, are you hungry?” Iruka asked pleasantly. Kakashi simply nodded in response. “Good, we saved Christmas dinner until today.” Kakashi was awestruck; Naruto had waited a whole extra day for him? “Come and fill your plates, guys!” Iruka grinned and waved them over.
 
They ate slowly. Too busy talking and laughing to engorge themselves as they usually would. (At least, Naruto usually would.) Kakashi basked in the “Christmas” feel, and a smile never left his face.
 
Except for the few times the three of them called him a pervert, which happened to come from Iruka more than he would have expected.