Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Dreams ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: Unfortunately I don't suddenly own them.
I realised that although I said Harry was seventeen and Itachi nineteen I had the celebrating Harry's birthday quite a while after the met so Harry was actually sixteen. Oops.
Should I have other pairings? I will take suggestions on what they should be.
I have Tsunade as Hokage because she's the one in most of the fics I've read even though I know that I'm probably messing the messing the timeline up. Oh well.
 
Chapter 5
 
 
“Kakashi-sensei, there's someone up ahead.” Sakura said quietly. He nodded and the four spread out, ready for an attack. Looking down at the ground they saw a crumpled figure with a growing pool of blood surrounding him or her. Kakashi dropped to the ground and cautiously approached, weary of any traps. The three teens remained in the trees to keep watch. He knelt and carefully rolled the figure over; it was a young man with dark, messy hair and a lightning bolt scar. Kakashi froze for a second, he'd seen this boy once before.
 
“Harry.” A low, pained moan answered him and unfocused green eyes fluttered open. What was Itachi's friend doing so close to Konoha and in such condition?
 
“Who?” Kakashi barely heard the question and it sounded like it hurt a lot for him to speak.
 
“Kakashi, I was with Itachi.” The boy nodded slightly and then his eyes widened.
 
“Where?” Harry coughed and Kakashi decided to take a risk. He gently pulled him up to lean against a tree and his breathing became easier.
“Thanks.”
 
“Not far from Konoha.”
 
“How? Last thing I remember…oh Merlin no.” Kakashi stared as Harry simply passed out.
 
“Kakashi-sensei?” Naruto called.
 
“We're heading back. He needs medical attention.” Kakashi lifted Harry easily; he was far too light for his age and build.
 
“Who is he?” Sakura asked as Kakashi rejoined them in the trees.
 
“His name is Harry. We need to hurry.” With that they were off.
 
---------------------------------
Harry groaned as light forced its way past his eyelids, sending sharp pain into his brain. Please say he hadn't decided to get drunk with Draco again, Hermione would kill them. He relaxed a bit, as the light was shaded, quite content to go back asleep.
 
“I know you are awake. I have some questions for you.” The unfamiliar female voice had Harry's eyes snapping open. Without a thought he reached for his magic ready to fight or run if he had to. The first thing he noticed were the guards on the door and the woman near the bed; the second was that he was in a hospital, again. All of which was completely unfamiliar.
 
“Where am I?” He coughed and accepted the glass of water, subtly checking it for potions or poisons before drinking it. Okay so he was a little paranoid these days, you would be to if you'd nearly been killed how many times?
 
“Konoha hospital. I am Tsunade, the Godaime. One of our genin teams found you in the forest and brought you here for treatment.” Harry sat, staring at her in shock. Konoha? But that meant… It was impossible, wasn't it?
“Kakashi told me a very interesting story, about having met you before.” Harry focused back on what she was saying and nodded.
“So you are Harry Potter?” She stumbled over his name slightly.
 
“Yes ma'am. Thank you for healing my injuries.” He answered politely. Tsunade smiled ever so slightly, at least he was polite. But he was still an unknown with ties to Itachi and that meant he was dangerous.
 
“What is your relationship with Uchiha Itachi?” Harry mentally groaned, fighting not to blush. He doubted she meant it that way. But it was a question he didn't really want to answer for fear they would lock him up or something.
 
“It's a rather long story. Would it be possible to get some food? I can't really remember when the last time I ate was. I can talk between bites.” His stomach chose that moment to make its presence known and Harry did blush at that. She nodded and one of the guards left to get him some food. A few minutes later Harry was eating quickly but neatly, enjoying his first taste of their food.
“Thank you, that was very good. I've never eaten anything like it before.”
 
“Your welcome. Now?”
 
“I met Itachi…okay I'm almost eighteen now and I was just sixteen so it would be about two years ago I guess. I hadn't realised it had been so long. Our first meeting was rather odd since neither of us had a clue what was going on or if the other was real.” He paused to drink some more water.
 
“How could you not know if he was real?”
 
“Quite simple really since I knew I was at my relatives asleep in bed and yet there I was in a glade in a forest I'd never seen before. I think I thoroughly confused him that night actually. After that we saw each other nearly every night. He didn't talk much so I'd tell him about my day, stuff like that. Took a while but eventually he started to open up and we became friends I guess. It really helped, having someone to talk to while stuck at my Aunts that summer.” Harry shut his eyes. He'd accepted Sirius' death and the part he had played init but that didn't mean it no longer hurt. Tsunade let him take his time; it was obvious he was remembering something painful.
“The closest person to a father I'd ever known had just died and it was partially my fault. For my so-called safety I wasn't allowed to contact anyone outside so being able to talk to Itachi helped. Pretty sure it stopped me going mad from grief and blaming myself.”
 
“How was it your fault in any way?”
 
“Because I did something stupid and Sirius died coming to my rescue. Once I was back at school we didn't see as much of each other, we only shared dreams when we weren't exhausted. There was a village within walking distance of school were we would go some weekends. There was an attack and I was caught. After that Itachi decided I needed to learn how to fight. So he started working on getting my fitness up, I think I drove my guard up the wall with the runs I did around the neighbour.” Harry smiled at that.
“Only one who could keep up was Tonks.” Harry's smile faded as he remembered what had happened to the friendly Auror. She'd been captured, tortured and then killed at the beginning of his seventh year while out spying for Dumbledore. Tsunade sensed his sadness but had to ask.
 
“Why did you have guards?”
 
“For my safety, not that the Order was much use in a fight. For my entire life I've had a Dark Lord and his followers after me. After my fourth year the Order began following me around, didn't do much good. I had to break myself out the one time I was caught.”
 
“Why are you so important?”
 
“Because I'm the freaking `Boy-Who-Lived'. I survived the killing curse, the only one in history to do so.” He lifted his hair revealing the unusual scar.
“I should have died as baby but for some reason it didn't work and ended backfiring on him. Unfortunately it didn't kill him, just split his spirit from his body. Anyway, on Itachi's advice I convinced my relatives to let me sign up for martial arts classes. A month later I turned seventeen and was out of there. Pulled a disappearing act on the Order and found out a few things about the so-called leader of the light that he would have rather I didn't. He confronted me at the start of school and it was only thanks to Itachi having taught me the replacement technique that I got out and ran to another teacher. It was Itachi who suggested I start actually using my fame to get things done so I went to the press and the government. A few months later Dumbledore was put on trial and sentenced to prison and the rest of my people finally pulled their heads out of the sand and started preparing for war. Oh, I also somehow ended up in this world at one point but as some sort of ghost like thing. Saved Itachi and his friend from getting fried by their ex-bosses, that was before I went back to school. Towards the end of the school year we were attacked. We kept them out of the castle for a day but then they overpowered the wards. Only three of us managed to stay free. Draco and I stayed behind after helping Hermione get out to get help. That was when I met Kakashi. He and Itachi showed up like I had when I rescued Itachi and followed me around for a bit before I found somewhere where I could stop and talk for a few seconds. Then I left and went back to causing trouble for the Death Eaters. The idea was to buy Hermione time to get back and keep as many of the students and teachers alive as possible. Turned into a month long game of tag since the creeps had put up their own wards to keep help out. The Ministry finally broke through and…”
 
“And?”
 
“I…I don't know.” He looked up at her in near panic.
“Why can't I remember what happened?”
 
“You were badly injured and nearly dead when Kakashi brought you in. The trauma may have affected your memory. With time you should remember.” He nodded, calming down.
“What I have to decide now is wether or not you are a threat to Konoha.” Harry looked back up at her.
“You have associated, physically or not with a known missing-nin for several years and have at least some ninja training. That is enough for some to want you killed.” Harry paled.
 
“Great, survive the stupid prophecy to get killed in another world. My life officially sucks.” He slumped against the pillows.
 
“That will not necessarily be your fate. How much has he taught you?”
 
“Henge, Kawarimi, Katon: Goukakyuu no Jutsu which I'm sort of getting the hang of. Other than that just how to fight, throw shuriken, that sort of thing. I can use a sword but I didn't learn that from him and I'm still learning.” Harry shrugged, not bothered that he was leaving out his magical training, she hadn't asked. The last year had brought out more of his Slytherin side, much to Draco's amusement.
 
“I need to get back to work. For now, the team that found you has been asking about you. Feel up to visitors?”
 
“Sure, why not.”
 
“A word of warning. Uchiha Sasuke was one of them, make no mention of knowing Itachi.”
 
“Yes ma'am.” She nodded and left and Harry relaxed, clearing his mind and reinforcing his occlumency shields. He stared out of the window visible from the bed, lost in thought. Obviously he had survived the fight but had he actually killed Voldemort? What had happened to everyone else? Did Itachi know he was alive or did he think he was dead?
 
“Hey! You're finally awake!” Harry jumped and looked around. He smiled at the younger teen that had spoken. Ninja certainly had interesting dress sense but orange?
 
“Seems like. Apparently I have you four to thank for still being alive.” Harry laughed softly as the orange clad teen actually bounced around the room.
 
“Yep! We found you in the forest. You really didn't look good.”
 
“I'm not surprised, um?”
 
“Oh. Naruto, Uzumaki Naruto. These are my teammates, Haruno Sakura and Uchiha Sasuke. The pervert with his head in the book is our sensei, Hatake Kakashi. Kakashi-sensei said your name is Harry.”
 
“It's nice to meet you all. My name is Harry Potter. Though I suppose you would say Potter Harry. That just sounds weird.”
 
“How do you know Kakashi-sensei?” Sakura asked.
 
“We've met once, very briefly.” Harry said, watching the older man curiously.
 
“Are you a ninja? Where's you forehead protector? Are you a missing-nin?” Harry laughed honestly at the rapid questions.
 
“Naruto, give him time to answer.” Kakashi said, watching Harry while still reading. He was curious about the teenager. He didn't seem the sort of person to make friends with the older Uchiha and yet they had been comfortable with each other.
 
“I'm not a ninja. My home is, well far away from here. We don't have Shinobi.”
 
“Then who protects you?”
 
“Various people. Aurors for one, they're sort of a police force more than anything.”
 
“Oh, are you an Auror?” Naruto stumbled over the strange word.
 
“No, I'm still in school, well I was. Should have graduated a month or so ago but it was put off. I was going to apply for Auror training though.”
 
“School? How old are you? We finished school years ago!”
 
“It wasn't that long ago Naruto! Don't be rude!” Sakura yelled at him.
 
“It's okay, school for us lasts until your seventeen or eighteen, depending on the school. As for my age, I'll be eighteen this year.” Harry honestly didn't mind the questions, he liked the blond already. Something about him was tickling his magical senses but wasn't setting any warnings off so he'd ignore it for now. It was nice talking to someone who had no idea who he was. He was observing Sasuke while talking; he could see the family resemblance between him and Itachi and Sasuke seemed like Itachi had been when they first met, cold and distant. But Harry could see the pain in those dark eyes, pain the boy believed his own brother was responsible for. Harry wished he could tell him otherwise but he couldn't ay anything, at least not yet.
 
“Who attacked you?” Harry blinked in surprise as Sasuke spoke and then shrugged.
 
“I don't remember. The lady who was in here before, um Tsunade? She said it could be from trauma and that I should eventually remember.”
 
“The Hokage is a great healer, she healed many of your wounds herself.” Kakashi said.
“The three of you should return to training. I wish to speak with Harry alone.”
 
“But…”
 
“I don't want to keep you from your training. Maybe you can visit again later?” With much grumbling on Naruto's part the three left.
“They seem like good kids.” Kakashi nodded at Harry's observation.
“What did you want to talk to me about?” Harry leant back into the pillows, he was getting very tired, then again he couldn't remember when he'd last slept and Naruto's excitement plus the Hokage's questioning had worn him out.
 
“Your intentions towards Sasuke.” Harry sat up instantly in shock.
 
“Huh?”
 
“I saw you watching him. I will not allow you to harm any of my students.”
 
“Whoa! Slow down sir. How dare… I would never, ever harm a kid. Yes I was watching him but out of curiosity, nothing more. Itachi speaks of him often and they look a lot alike. That's a big part of your way of life I dislike. Children should never be expected to fight and kill.” Kakashi watched him carefully, his responses seemed honest.
 
“You were?” Harry nodded.
 
“Shortly after I was born there was a prophecy made about the one who would finally defeat the Dark Lord. Lucky me. I was fifteen when I finally found out about it and I'd just watched the only father figure I'd ever known die because of it. But I'd been in training since I was eleven without even knowing, he kept pushing me in the way of trouble and watching to see how I would do, how his little weapon was progressing and how soon he could truly pit me against Tom. I killed for the first time at eleven. It was self-defence but…I didn't even realise till later. All I knew was he had to be stopped so I touched him and he burned.” Harry had curled up on the bed without realising it and Kakashi felt bad for asking.
“I hate killing, I know that sometimes its unavoidable but I still hate it.”
 
“Get some rest. You'll need it if Naruto comes back to visit.” Harry managed to give him a tired smiled before getting comfortable under the covers and drifting off.
 
-------------------------
“Your opinion Kakashi?” Kakashi stood slouched in Tsunade's office.
 
“He appeared genuinely upset by my suggestion that he was here to hurt Sasuke or Naruto. Apparently Itachi has spoken of Sasuke to him. The boy has lead a hard life but he is no killer unless given no other option.”
 
“So you don't think his presence here is a trap?” Tsunade asked.
 
“No, his reactions were too honest. That is not to say that his presence could not be taken advantage of. If Itachi were to attack I do not know what he would do beyond not harming children. He sees my team as children though so that would put him at a disadvantage.”
 
“There are those who would want him used to trap Itachi or simply be killed for liking him.”
 
“I do not believe he is a threat. When I first saw him, he was one of three left free after their school was attacked. He stayed behind to distract the enemy, giving one of his companions the chance to go for help. He was fighting to protect children when he was little more than one himself and as he admitted he is not fully trained.”
 
“Very well, for now the council will remain ignorant. As far as anyone knows he was a simple traveller who ran afoul of bandits. But he will be watched.”
 
“I volunteer my team to watch him.”
 
“Agreed. For now he will remain in the hospital but once released I want him to live with you, at least until we're positive about his intentions.”
 
“As you wish.” Kakashi left via the window to her annoyance. She looked over the medical file she had made for Harry Potter. Yes, he had had a hard life. She shook her head sadly; no child should have scars like that.
 
-------------------------------
“Morning Harry!” Harry turned from the window to smile at his most frequent visitor for the past two weeks.
 
“Good morning Naruto.”
 
“Hey, you're out of bed!”
 
“Yes, I can leave tomorrow so it was decided I'm well enough to be up.” He walked back to the bed and sat on the edge, patting a spot next to him for Naruto. The blond jumped up ext to him.
“So what have you been up to?”
 
“Just boring missions. Next Chuunin exam is in a few months and Kakashi-sensei said he's going to enter us again.”
 
“Congratulations. That's the next rank right?”
 
“Yep! Iruka-sensei's a chuunin. The last exam got interrupted by an attack.” Harry nodded, Itachi had told him about it, and the mark given to his little brother. It sounded too much like the Dark Mark for comfort and in some ways even worse.
“What'll happen when they let you out of here?”
 
“I don't know yet.”
 
“I hope you stay. I... well, I.”
 
“Don't have a lot of friends do you?” Harry smiled softly as he saw Naruto freeze. He gave the younger teen a comforting pat on the arm.
“I know what that's like. Because of my cousin and his gang I had no friends as a child, they scared them all away and beat up anyone who tried to talk to me.”
 
“Why?”
 
“Because I was different to them. It got better when I started at Hogwarts; I made a few friends but not a lot. And there, everyone knew who I was because of what happened when I was a baby and a lot of people only wanted to be my friend so they could say they knew me. It wasn't until the last year that I really found out who my true friends were. It's not the amount of friends you have that matters Naruto but the quality. One friend who will stand by you even to the death is better than a hundred who will turn their backs on you when there's trouble.” Harry let Naruto think about that in silence, content to stare out the window until the younger boy wanted to talk.
 
“Are we friends?”
 
“I hope so.” Tsunade smiled from her place just outside the door. She really hoped Harry was genuine for Naruto's sake. He could do with all the friends he could get and it sounded like Harry needed the same.
 
“Good to see you up Harry.” She said, walking in and acting as if she hadn't been listening at the door. The smile Harry shot her let her know he'd known she was there.
 
“Thanks to you. The nurse said I'd be able to leave tomorrow. Guess I'd like to know what happens next.” She could hear a twinge of nervousness in his voice though he hid it well.
 
“Kakashi has agreed to let you live with him for the time being. Speaking of Kakashi, shouldn't you be at training brat?”
 
“Oops. By Harry!” Naruto bolted from the room leaving Harry to laugh.
 
“I'm guessing you want to talk to me alone?”
 
“As far as the village knows you are a travel who was attacked by bandits on the road and found by Team 7. Despite your ties to a known criminal I am allowing you to stay here.”
 
“With Kakashi keeping an eye on me? I understand ma'am, I'd probably do the same if I were you.”
 
“If Itachi were to attack what would you do?” She studied him closely, glad to see he was thinking about his answer and not just giving the answer he thought she wanted to hear.
 
“I…I couldn't just sit by and watch him hurt children but I wouldn't want to fight him either. I don't know if I could. Guess it'd come down to bodily placing myself between him and his target and finding out if he's willing to kill me or not.” Harry swallowed his pain. He would never stand by and watch people die but the idea of fighting Itachi made him feel sick.
 
“I understand. If Konoha were to fall under attack in general?” That needed less thought.
 
“I'd help in any way I could.” He met her eyes and she smiled.
 
“Good. I hope you never have to find out if he could kill you or not.” She moved to leave.
“Since the bandits took everything but the clothes from your back you will be given money to buy clothes and other necessities until you can work out what to do for work.”
 
“Thank you.”
 
TBC…
Don't worry, you will find out what happened but you'll have to wait for Harry to decide he's ready to remember.
How badly OOC is everyone? I figure Harry's eighteen (well, nearly), knows Itachi and has survived a war so he's grown up a bit.