Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Dreams ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: Still don't own them.
I got some comments on Harry's talkativeness. He's just been dumped in a different world and is missing who knows how big a chunk of his memory plus he was nearly dead, so he's a bit off balance and more willing to talk add to that the fact that he knows they could decide to imprison or kill him if he doesn't give them enough info.
Pairing help, please!
 
Chapter 6
 
 
Kakashi walked into Harry's room to see the teen sitting up and staring at what looked like normal hospital paperwork with a blank look on his face. His gaze focused on Kakashi and the older man smiled behind his mask at the look of utter relief on the teens face.
 
“Help please!!”
 
“What's wrong?” He leant over; sure enough they were standard forms.
 
“How about I have no clue what any of this says?”
 
“You can't read?” Kakashi raised an eyebrow, that didn't make any sense considering they had first met in a school.
 
“I can't read this, whatever it is. Turns out I cast a translation charm without realising it which is why we can understand each other. Unfortunately I don't know any that will work on written material. We don't normally speak the same language. I think yours is similar to Japanese but I'm not positive and even if it were it still wouldn't help since I never learned it. Could you read the questions and write my answers? Please?” Kakashi stared at him, that could cause problems. Without being able to read he wouldn't be able to live alone and even going shopping would be difficult. Someone would have to teach him and the spoken version too, he couldn't rely on whatever it was he said he done for the rest of his life. Kakashi thought about it as he helped Harry with the paperwork. Maybe Iruka would be willing to help; they'd become friends through Naruto.
“All that just for one stay in hospital.” Harry shook his head.
“Remind me not to get hurt or sick.” Kakashi laughed.
 
“Come on before the staff decide to keep you after all.” Harry jumped up, eager to leave.
“Don't like hospitals?”
 
“Spent to much time in the hospital wing at school. Madam Pomphrey put a plaque on my bed there saying it was mine.” Harry smiled at the memory.
 
“I was going to suggest we walk but since you seem to have no clothes that may not be the best idea.”
 
“Actually my clothes were returned and I was given money to buy some more. They put them in that closet.” Kakashi grabbed the clothing and turned his back as Harry dressed. The clothing was ripped in places and still had one or two stains but at least it covered everything. He watched as Harry searched through the material and then grinned in triumph.
“Still here.” He pulled something from the material and put it on the floor.
“Resize.” Kakashi moved back as the trunk grew to normal proportions.
“Looks like I can give the money back.” Harry dug through his trunk and pulled out some fresh clothes. Kakashi once again turned around and Harry redressed.
“Much better.” And it was. Dressed in black cargo pants and a green short sleeved shirt he would blend in better than in the torn clothes of before.
“Okay I'm ready.” Harry re-shrank his trunk and hid it on his body. He was curious as to where his wand had ended up but he didn't seem to be having any trouble with his wandless abilities so he wouldn't worry, yet.
 
“Let's go then.” Harry followed Kakashi put of the hospital and onto the streets, looking around as they walked. People would occasionally greet Kakashi and he'd wave in response and Harry could feel the odd curious look but he was too busy absorbing everything he could about his new home. It was so different from anything he'd ever known.
“Here we are.” Harry obediently followed into the building and up the stairs. Kakashi unlocked the door and undid the various traps while Harry watched.
“This is it. I'll show you your room and you can get settled or something. Um, I don't usually have a lot of people around.” Kakashi blushed underneath his mask, even after his rush clean this morning, because he'd forgotten to do it earlier, the place was still messy.
 
“Reminds me of the dorms. Is there anything I can do to help out? Cook, clean, something?”
 
“You can cook?”
 
“Since I could reach the stove.” Harry shrugged; being able to cook wasn't that big a deal. He followed Kakashi into an empty bedroom and sat down, testing the mattress. He smiled, not to soft but not to firm.
“I don't know any recipes for your foods though so if you have a cookbook and read the instructions? Or I could try some of the things I know if you want to try something different.”
 
“You have yourself a job. You cook and I'll…” Kakashi stared back out into the rest of the apartment.
“I'll clean.”
 
“Deal. Look, I know you're doing this because you were told to but, well thanks.” Kakashi nodded.
“I also know you're meant to be watching me and I don't mind. But what will happen when you're on missions and stuff? I can't go with you so will someone else watch me?”
 
“Probably. The Hokage didn't tell me but I'm sure she has thought about it.” Harry nodded and they fell silent.
“Unpack.” Kakashi left him to get used to his room. Harry sighed and pulled his trunk out. He was worried about Itachi; he'd been too exhausted since waking in Konoha for them to share dreams so the Shinobi must be going crazy with worry. Harry chuckled slightly; he didn't envy Kisame at the moment. After talking with Kakashi he'd worked out that he was only missing three days of memory and that he'd been unconscious for a week in the hospital. Hopefully he would be able to talk to Itachi tonight. How would he react to knowing Harry was in Konoha? Would he come for him or ask him to leave? He wasn't sure he would want to leave but if it meant being with Itachi? But how could he? Itachi was living on the run and he would just slow them down. Maybe he could move to a town where Itachi would be able to come and go a lot easier. Then again he could keep an eye on Sasuke for Itachi and maybe do something about that seal. He had managed to remove Severus' Dark Mark after all.
 
Harry hung and folded his clothes, leaving the more outlandishly wizarding articles in his trunk except for his winter cloak with the school symbol and his house scarf, those were placed with his muggle clothes. He placed his framed photo of his parents and himself, a photo of Severus, Mooney, Draco, Hermione and himself and a photo of him and Sirius on the table beside the bed along with the novel he'd been reading. A few texts and writing materials were placed on the small desk along with his spell workbook. He felt tears gather as he came across a pack of owl treats. He had no idea what had happened to his loyal companion, he could only hope she was safe and well looked after. He left the money and gems in their container in the trunk and then shrank it again, placing it on a chain to rest around his neck. The chain was spelled to only come off for him but he simply hadn't had the time to attach his trunk at Hogwarts, if he hadn't spent the entirety of seventh year living out of it instead of unpacking all of his possessions would have been lost. Hopefully he'd be able to sell some of the gems, gold and silver for the local currency so that he'd have enough to live off until he worked out his new life. He definitely needed some new clothes more along the lines of what others his age here wore. Most of his muggle clothing was of the dressier look simply because he had been in an upper class area for the summer and had had a lot of business to conduct. He'd only bought what he'd needed, thinking to buy more the coming summer after graduation. Once finished he left his room in search of his babysitter. Harry mentally scolded himself, that wasn't nice. Kakashi seemed to be trying to treat him as just a flat mate so he would do the same.
 
----------------------------
Itachi froze for a second before leaning back into the embrace and then spinning around, grabbing the other in a fierce hug. He pulled back just enough to claim willing lips in a kiss.
 
“I thought…. Where have you been? Are you hurt?” If it were anyone else it would be babbling but Itachi did not babble. Harry relaxed in his embrace, thankful for the one familiar thing in his life.
 
“Merlin I've missed you.” Harry breathed and Itachi smiled.
 
“You're alive. It's been so long I started to think you were dead.” They sat beneath their tree, Harry mostly in his lap.
 
“Hey, this is me we're talking about. You know, `the boy-who-just-won't-freakin-die'. As for where I am well…”
 
“Harry? Voldemort captured you.” Itachi felt a stab of fear, what had Harry been suffering?
 
“What? No, Itachi I'm safe. I'm, well… I just got discharged today. From Konoha hospital.”
 
“You were hurt? How?” Itachi stopped suddenly and thought back over what Harry had just said.
“Wait…Konoha!”
 
“Yep. Kakashi and his team found me in the forest nearly dead and brought me back for treatment. The Hokage has me staying with him since they're not 100% sure I can be trusted but at least they didn't lock me up.”
 
“You're really here? Real and solid?”
 
“Real and solid. I met Sasuke, he reminds me a bit of you when we first met. Tsunade asked me what our relationship was so I told her how we met and about the training you gave me since she already knew. I left out magic and that we're well together. She asked me what I would do if you attacked.” Itachi had tightened his grip, worried about Harry being in his home village. He would be the perfect bait for a trap and surely Tsunade realised that.
 
“What did you say?”
 
“That I wouldn't help you but I wouldn't fight you. I would however stand between you and any children. And for the record, your brother counts as a kid in my books. So no goading him into a fight, I just spent nearly a month in hospital already.” Itachi nodded, it was the safest answer Harry could have given and knowing Harry completely honest.
 
“What happened Harry? How did you get here? Is Voldemort dead?”
 
“I don't know. There's a three-day gap in my memory. Tsunade thinks it's from trauma and that the memories will return when I'm ready to deal with them. Which could be a long time since a part of me is very scared of those memories.”
 
“You'll have to remember eventually Harry. What have people been told about your presence? Do they know you know me?”
 
“Only Tsunade and Kakashi know about that. Anyone who asks is being told I'm a travel who was attacked on the road and found by Kakashi's team.”
 
“Sounds like they plan for you to live there.” Itachi said quietly.
 
“Yeah. I like it so far but…but I wish I could see you, really see you.”
 
“Maybe you can. They won't have you watched forever. Or you could ask to move to a non-shinobi village.”
 
“Or maybe you'll be able to clear your name and come back.” Itachi smiled sadly.
 
“You know how likely that is. Even if I did prove my innocence of the massacre, there are still my actions since. They could give nothing but the death sentence.” Harry nodded sadly.
“Could you keep an eye on him for me, as much as you can?”
 
“You didn't have to ask. I'll see if I can tag him with a tracking spell as well.” They fell silent, content to just be together. Harry only moved when he realised he was beginning to drift into a deeper sleep.
“What do I say if they ask if we've met again?”
 
“You'll have to tell the truth. Tell them that I will not put you in the position to choose between us.” Harry nodded and kissed Itachi before beginning to fade out.
 
-----------------
Harry yawned as he staggered out towards the kitchen, still partially asleep. He froze and was instantly fully awake as he saw Kakashi and the Hokage waiting for him.
 
“Ma'am?” Harry questioned although he was pretty sure he knew why she was here.
 
“Did you see him?” Harry sighed.
 
“Yes. He knows I'm here and said to tell you that he will not put me in a position where I have to choose. I told him I will not help him but that I will not fight him either and he accepts that.” Harry kept eye contact the entire time.
 
You believe him?” Kakashi asked.
 
“Yes. He has never lied to me.”
 
“Then do you know why he did it?” There was no chance of misunderstanding the question. Harry smiled sadly.
 
“I swore to say nothing about that night and I will not break my word. I am sorry.” She nodded.
 
“When Kakashi is away on missions you will be at the Academy, helping the staff as they see fit. I explained your training as childhood teachings from your family. After you were orphaned you decided to travel and have done so since. That will explain your knowledge, just avoid any Konoha specific jutsu's such as katon.”
 
“Yes ma'am.” Harry smiled, he honestly didn't mind helping out. He knew the idea behind it was that there was plenty of staff to keep an eye on him without their even realising that was what they were doing. That wouldn't stop him from enjoying the experience. Maybe that was what he could do for a living, become a teacher.
 
“Do you know where I could exchange these for currency?” Harry held out his hand where he'd been hiding some gems and Galleons. He fought not to laugh as their eyes widened.
“I am the head of two old families back home, with that comes responsibilities and money.” Harry shrugged.
 
“Kakashi can show you. I better get back before Shizune sends the ANBU to find me. Have fun.” With that she left.
 
“So do you cook breakfast or what?” Harry asked the still shocked Kakashi, smiling at the older man.
 
TBC…