Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Dreams ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: Still don't own.
Glad people liked the fact they finally got to meet.
I got a review filling me in on the actual timeline, thank you Ox King. Good thing I listed this as an AU. As to Sasuke going to Orochimaru, in this Naruto stopped him. Tsunade still decided to teach Sakura and Naruto has received some training from Jiraiya but without leaving for an extended period of time.
 
Chapter 10
 
 
Harry knelt nervously in the middle of the circle dressed only in a pair of loose pants. The others had left three hours ago and should have been travelling for most of that. Itachi had shown up after they had left, just long enough to kiss Harry before vanishing into the forest. The parting had been hard, the nights coming events weighing heavily on all of them. He'd given them all a hug, even a shocked Sasuke. The look on the teens face had been priceless but no one had laughed at him. He could feel midnight approaching and forced himself to relax, it would only be worse if he were tense. He knew that Itachi and Kisame were somewhere to the north while the others were to the south. The memory of the previous night made him smile softly. Maybe he'd be nicer to Kakashi and stop hiding his book for a while to say thanks. Thanks to his magical healing he wasn't sore, without it Kakashi would have known what had happened for sure with the way he would have been moving. He wished he wasn't alone for this but he knew he had to be for everyone's safety. At least if this killed him he would go happy. He began to meditate lightly, preparing his mind for what was to come.
 
--------------------------------------
Itachi flinched and leapt to his feet as a blood-curdling scream reached them. Kisame laid a restraining hand on his arm. They exchanged a worried look as the screams continued. They were far enough that there was no way they should be hearing Harry's screams and yet they were. Itachi wanted nothing more than to go to him, to hold him through his pain but he knew he couldn't. There was nothing he could do but watch and listen and he hated it, he felt so helpless. He let Kisame push him back down to the ground and accepted the offered food as something to distract himself with. There was no way they'd be sleeping tonight.
 
-------------------------------
All four ninja flinched as the screams started. Kakashi said nothing as they moved closer to him and for once he wasn't reading his book.
 
“Harry.” Naruto whispered and Kakashi put an arm around the teen's shoulders, offering silent comfort. None of them liked hearing a friend in such pain. Even Sasuke had lost his mask and had hidden his face from the firelight. Sakura was shivering slightly and for once she didn't complain when Naruto moved closer to her, accepting the comfort of a friend. The four stayed huddled together, trying to ignore what they could hear.
 
“Down!” Sasuke suddenly yelled and they all flattened themselves as some sort of shockwave passed over them, putting the fire out and plunging them into darkness. They lay in the darkness and sudden eerie silence until one by one the eventually got up. Kakashi got the fire going again and they sat to wait for the time limit Harry had given them.
 
-------------------------------------
Kakashi dropped to the ground in what had once been a lush clearing. The ground was now burnt, ash blowing in the early morning breeze. He cautiously approached the middle, eyes never leaving the lump lying there and praying with all his might that Harry was still alive. He dropped to his knees, feeling for a pulse and breathed a sigh of relief as he eventually found one.
 
“Sakura.” He called and the girl moved quickly to his side. He'd left the teens at the edge of the clearing, not wanting them to come closer if there was nothing to be done for their friend. He was happy to be able to call for Sakura's help since it would let them know that Harry was still alive, for now at least. The teenager was covered in blood and was breathing shallowly but he thought he'd live. He watched as Sakura went to work, giving Harry the potions he'd given her for just this purpose before using her own skills to help him. Eventually she sat back on her heels and smiled at her teacher tiredly.
 
“He's stable, we should get him back to Konoha though.” Kakashi nodded and called for Naruto and Sasuke. They cleaned Harry's face a bit before wrapping him in a blanket and placing him on the stretcher they'd brought for this exact purpose. Just as they were about to leave Kakashi paused and looked to the trees, he knew they were being watched.
 
“Naruto keep the stretcher steady, Harry will not thank you if he falls off because you tipped it.” He called to his student. He could at least let the missing-nin know that Harry had survived.
 
--------------------------
Iruka knocked on the half open door and smiled as Harry looked up from his book. The teen smiled and motioned for him to come in. Iruka took a seat in the chair placed beside Harry's bed. He couldn't believe the changes the teen had undergone since he'd last seen him. His hair was no longer messy and was now long enough to just brush his shoulders, the green eyes were the same but the glasses were gone. Even stuck in a hospital bed Iruka could tell he'd put on some height and overall he just looked healthier. Before he could tell that Harry had been malnourished as a child but now he looked as if he'd gotten three good meals a day his entire life. He'd been busy teaching the day they left so he hadn't gotten the chance to say goodbye before team 7 had left top accompany Harry on some sort of coming of age thing his people did and he had been busy when they had arrived back. From what he'd heard he was glad he hadn't seen Harry then. According to talk several of the medical staff had thought him dead at first until they'd seen him breath. Iruka did not want to know what sort of barbaric practises Harry's people put their children through to show they were an adult if it left them as bad as that.
 
Iruka focused back on the present as he felt a tug on his sleeve. Harry couldn't talk due to damage to his throat, although the nurse Iruka had spoken to assured him it was temporary. The teen had his head tilted inquisitively, causing Iruka to smile. Harry grinned in return.
 
“I'm sorry I haven't been to see you before this. The Academy and missions office have been busier than usual.” Harry shrugged to show he understood.
“I heard about the condition you were in when you arrived, its good to see you looking a lot better than that.” Harry looked around and then grabbed some paper. He carefully spelled out `thanks'. His language lessons had been progressing nicely but he was better at reading than writing. They both looked to the door as Kakashi wandered in. Harry glared at the clock on the wall and then at the older man causing Iruka to muffle a laugh.
 
“Harry, Iruka.” Kakashi greeted, smiling underneath his mask at the two. Harry's look said very plainly that Kakashi had better have a good excuse for being late.
“The Hokage wanted to see me.” Iruka watched as Harry studied Kakashi closely before finally nodding in acceptance.
“Doctors said I can take you home now, you just have to rest your throat till your voice comes back.” Harry grinned and scrambled out of bed, swaying slightly before straightening. Iruka relaxed as the teen stood under his own power, he'd been ready to catch him if necessary.
“Here.” Kakashi tossed him a bundle of clothing and the two Shinobi turned away to let him dress. Harry held up the piece of paper he'd written on earlier and Kakashi nodded.
“Care to walk with us Iruka?” The Chuunin hesitated but Harry tugged on his sleave so he agreed.
 
The three walked slowly down the streets towards Kakashi's building, mindful of the fact that Harry had just been released from a two-week stay in the hospital. Harry was keeping up a good pace but it was obvious he still tired easily. But the teen was smiling happily as they walked, just glad to be outside again.
 
“Harry!” Iruka and Kakashi moved to catch Harry as the teen fell under Naruto's added weight.
 
“Naruto! Be careful!! We don't need you putting Harry back in the hospital!” Iruka berated his old student. The blond hung his head but Harry just ruffled his hair and smiled.
 
“Hey! You grew!” A few groans were heard as Naruto commented on a fact the others had noticed a while ago. It was true though, Harry had shot up from 5'6” to a good 5'11”. A five-inch growth spurt in so little time was impossible Iruka realised with a frown. Just what had been done to the boy?
 
------------------------------
“Harry!” Iruka looked up to see the students tackling a familiar teenager and smiled. The teen grabbed one of the children and swung her up onto his shoulders, laughing as more clung to his legs. It was good to hear him laughing again, even if it was a little hoarse still. He played with the children for a few more minutes before heading for Iruka.
 
“Hey.” The teen greeted as he sat beside the teacher.
 
“So you finally got your voice back.” Iruka commented. He still didn't know what had happened to Harry and frankly he was still worried.
 
“Yep, all healed and as good as new.” Harry grinned and then laughed as he watched the children
 
“What happened to you Harry? Sudden growth like that isn't natural and the condition you were in…” Harry stilled beside him, smile fading.
 
“It was just a coming of age thing Iruka, no big deal.” Harry shrugged.
 
“No big deal! You almost died! Harry please tell me what is going on.” Iruka honestly liked the teenager and was happy to see the way he had bonded with the Naruto and his teammates, especially Naruto. He sighed as Harry got up and moved back to the children, ignoring his questions.
 
----------------------------
Tsunade looked up as Harry was shown into her office. She smiled at the nervous teenager and motioned for him to sit.
 
“What can I do for you Harry?”
 
“Iruka's been asking questions about what happened to me and I want to tell him, all of it. Who I am, where I come from, everything.”
 
TBC…
Sorry, very little Itachi in this one but I have to set up Harry's life in Konoha and following two guys who are basically continually on the run isn't very interesting to write. He should show up more next chapter though. a