Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Dreams ❯ Chapter 17 ( Chapter 17 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: Still not mine!
Finally got my cast off today, yeah!!! Wow, my foot looks weird, bruised and really dry skin. Anyway, sorry about the wait!
Who should Harry fight in the exam? Vote please.
 
Chapter 17
 
 
Harry smothered a laugh as he saw the looks Naruto was giving their client, not that he blamed the other teen. The girl was incredibly annoying and reminded him of Pansy Parkinson in a lot of ways. Even Sakura looked like she'd like to shove a kunai somewhere where it shouldn't go. He smiled as Kakashi caught his eye, seeing the obvious amusement in his visible eye. This was to be their last mission before the exams and Harry was relieved, not that he was expecting to participate in them. The other three wanted to so he was happy to watch and cheer them on. At least it had been an easy mission, if you ignored the girl; all they had to do was escort her to a nearby village. There wasn't even any real threat of attack for which Harry was grateful. He looked at Naruto again and smiled. Since he had moved into the house Naruto had changed a bit, sure he was still loud and full of energy but at least he dressed like a ninja now and was learning a few more attacks from the scrolls Iruka and Itachi had recommended. Okay so it took Harry sitting next to him to get him to study and actually apply himself but he was learning. It didn't hurt that Harry was learning at the same time. Itachi had agreed with him, Naruto had too few attacks in his arsenal; he couldn't always rely on the kage bunshin and rasengan. Harry had learnt early in the war that the bigger repertoire of spells you had that you were comfortable casting the better so he was using the same approach to jutsu's. Naruto's ability to learn reminded him of himself when he was younger, the teen learnt higher level jutsu's easily but had trouble with the basics.
 
--------------------------
“We should reach home by midday.” Harry looked up and nodded as Kakashi crouched beside him.
 
“The others will be happy. I think they were all pretty close to failing the mission through strangling her.”
 
“And you weren't?”
 
“Not as close, she reminded me of an old schoolmate. I think they just want to get training for the exams.” They watched as Sakura hit Naruto for something the blond had said.
 
“What about you?” Kakashi asked in an odd tone making Harry look at him closely.
 
“What about me? I've been a genin for what, a month and a half? Besides, thought they were taken in teams of three.”
 
“They are.” With that Kakashi wandered off, leaving Harry more than a little confused. The Wizard shrugged; maybe Itachi could clear it up for him.
 
-----------------------
“Looks like he's hinting that you'll be taking the exam.” Itachi commented when Harry fell silent.
 
“But how? Team 7 is complete without me, I'm only on it because the others spend time with their personal sensei every few weeks or so.”
 
“Two possibilities. They don't want Naruto participating because of Kyuubi or they don't want Sasuke participating because of the seal.”
 
“That's not fair. Neither of those is their fault.” Itachi smiled at the face Harry pulled.
 
“True, but since when is life fair?”
 
“Good point. Want to come by tomorrow night?” Itachi smiled sadly.
 
“I'd love too.”
 
“But?”
 
“We're not in a safe area and the portkey's only for one. I can't leave Kisame until its safe. Give me a few days.” Harry frowned but nodded.
“How's the training coming?”
 
“Pretty good. I'm getting the hang of jutsu's and Naruto is learning better control. Whoever thought Occlumency could be useful for so many things?” Harry smiled at the thought, since he'd begun teaching the mind art to Naruto his control and attention span had doubled.
“I'm going to see if Sasuke would be willing to learn once I'm done with Naruto, it could only help him with controlling the seal. Not to mention his homicidal tendencies when it comes to you.” Itachi smiled, glad that Harry had taken to his little brother as well as Naruto. Sasuke could do with all the family he could get, even if he didn't know about it. He had the feeling that the next time a certain snake came for his brother he was in for one big surprise. A protective Harry was a scary sight to see, as Akatsuki had learnt the hard way. Plus he had plenty of experience fighting evil immortality seeking snakes.
“Come on, I've got a new jutsu for you.” Itachi stood and offered his lover a hand up which Harry accepted. They spent several hours working on the hand seals before relaxing together under their tree before Harry slipped into a deeper sleep and Itachi woke for his watch.
 
-------------------------------
Tsunade smirked slightly as she noticed how Harry stood protectively slightly behind Naruto and Sasuke. As far as she was concerned there was no longer any reason for him to be watched. While he may not be utterly loyal to Konoha he was completely loyal to those he considered friends and family and it was obvious Team 7 fit in that category, as did Iruka and the Academy students. She knew she wasn't counted, she had pushed him too much but she could accept that, it wasn't like the teen was her bodyguard.
 
“Welcome back.” She greeted, not wanting to tell them why she'd called them in just yet. She was not looking forward to the reactions. She could tell from the way Harry focused on her that he knew something was up. Emerald eyes narrowed slightly and then flickered to Kakashi who was studiously reading his book. At least he was until the book suddenly vanished only to reappear in Harry's hand. She smirked fully at that, it was good to see someone trying to teach Kakashi manners. The younger teens could tell something was up; Naruto was fidgeting while Sasuke was looking between the three older people.
 
“Just tell us ma'am.” Harry said calmly.
 
“Fine, spoil my fine. The chuunin exams are next month and as you know you need a team of three. You can see where I'm going with this right?”
 
“But there are four of us!” Naruto exclaimed. The blond looked wildly between his teammates until Harry placed a gentle hand on his shoulder.
 
“I don't see a problem, as I'm more of a fill in I won't take the exam. I wouldn't have enough missions on my record to qualify anyway.” Tsunade sighed quietly and Sasuke's eyes narrowed.
 
“He will be taking the exam won't he? It's one of us that won't.” The Uchiha stated.
 
“You're right.”
 
“Who? Why can't they take it?” Once again Harry hushed the blond.
 
“Due to the events of the last exam and what almost happened at the Valley of the End it is felt that Uchiha Sasuke should not be allowed to take the exam yet. Therefore for the team to take the exam Harry will have to take his place.” Tsunade told them, earning a glare from both brunettes.
 
“And if I decline?” Harry asked coolly.
 
“Then Team 7 will be unable to attend.” Harry shut his eyes and Naruto squeezed his hand.
 
“Its okay nii-san, we can take them next time.” The blond offered to everyone's surprise. Harry opened his eyes to stare at the person he considered a brother before smiling and shaking his head.
 
“No. This is all you've been able to talk about for weeks; I won't be the cause of you missing out. I'll participate ma'am.”
 
“Good. I am sorry Sasuke but there are those who just don't trust you yet. I'll make sure you can take the next exam.” Sasuke nodded stiffly and Harry placed a light hand on his back briefly.
“Get going then.” They turned to leave.
“One second Harry.” The wizard paused to wait as the others left.
“I want you to avoid magic during the exam unless you have no other choice. We don't need you gaining too much attention from certain people.”
 
“I understand. Is that all?” Harry's voice was still cooler than usual.
 
“Yes.” Harry nodded and left.
 
----------------------------
“I'm sorry Sasuke.” Harry spoke softly as he joined the other at the bridge.
“I never even wanted to be a ninja and I kept being pushed further into it. I never planned to take the exams at all but Naruto…”
 
“I understand.” Sasuke stated coldly.
 
“No, I don't think you do.” The younger teen turned around angrily at the comment.
“We trust you Sasuke, your team trust you and that's all that matters. Who cares what anyone else thinks. You're Naruto's best friend and rival and he trust you with his life. Sakura does to. Kakashi is concerned about you and but he does believe in you.”
 
“And you?” Sasuke stared at him and Harry smiled.
 
“You've never done anything to me, as far as I'm concerned you have a clean slate. Do anything to betray me or those I care about and I will not go easy on you. You're not a bad person and you didn't ask for that.” Harry indicated the seal.
“You're a good Shinobi when you get past your superiority complex and you are a good friend wether you want to believe it or not. I know that I trust you to watch my back. People as a group are fickle; you can be a hero in their eyes one minute and a villain the next. It's when your true friends start saying it that you need to worry because they care for and know you best.” Harry grasped his shoulder and then let go, continuing his walk home and leaving Sasuke to think about what he'd said.
 
--------------------
“It's official. I'm taking the exam.” Harry said softly.
 
“Normally I'd say congratulations but I know you don't want to. Who are you replacing?” Itachi moved slightly on the couch to get more comfortable. Harry frowned in thought; he really should put a bed down here.
 
“Sasuke, they don't trust him after what happened. I had a chat to him about it after and he seems okay.”
 
“Do you know where the exam is being held? Maybe I can sneak in to watch.”
 
“Sand apparently. Naruto said he knows the Kazekage.” Harry snuggled closer.
 
“Gaara, he's like Naruto. They fought during the invasion at the last exams but have been sort of friends since. I think Gaara is able to relate to Naruto.”
 
“Plausible assumption. Do you really think you can sneak in?”
 
“I'll find a way, don't worry about it.” Itachi moved and kissed Harry softly. Harry smiled and wrapped his arms around him, eagerly returning the kiss. Kakashi had yet to ask questions about the times Harry stayed at Naruto's for the night since the two were like brothers, which made it a lot easier.
 
--------------------------
Harry stared out at the seemingly endless sand in awe. He'd never seen the desert before and already the heat was getting to him. He cast a quick cooling charm before following his team onto the sand, being careful to stay close; he really didn't want to get lost out here. They ran through the desert for hours until finally the village came into view. Kakashi called a halt on top a dune and the stared down at the village of Sand. Harry smiled as Naruto began to jump excitedly. Finally, the chuunin exams were close.
 
TBC…