Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Dreams ❯ Chapter 18 ( Chapter 18 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: They aren't mine.
Sorry for the wait. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions for the exams. As you probably know from my other fics I suck at fight scenes so this chapter may skip around a bit.
 
Chapter 18
 
 
Harry wished he could take a second to wipe the sweat from his face but he really didn't have the time. Lee was simply too fast for him to risk it. The English Wizard simply wasn't used this type of heat or the lack of humidity and it was slowing him down; even with the cooling charm he had cast before their match. He wished he were fighting anyone other than a fellow Leaf-nin since he wouldn't have to worry so much about doing damage but that was the luck of the drawer. At least Lee had yet to remove the weights he had heard about from his teammates, then he would really be in trouble. The only reason he had lasted this long was because his legilimency, he was using it to sense Lee's moves even if it was only a split second before he performed them. So far while he had taken some hits none had been too hard. But he knew he had to come up with some sort of strategy and fast or he was goner. Harry smiled slightly as he felt Itachi's gaze on him from the stands. He was worried about his lover being here but it was a comfort to know he was, even if it was incredibly risky.
 
“Do you think Harry can beat him Kakashi-sensei?” Sakura asked. She was the only one from their team to have already had their match and unfortunately she had lost but only just so there was the possibility she could still be promoted since you didn't have to win your match to do so.
 
“If he can find a way to negate Lee's speed then yes. If he used his bloodline I'd say the match would have been over already.” Kakashi answered, for once his book wasn't in his hand as he watched the teen fight.
 
“Harry has a bloodline?” Sakura asked in surprise.
 
“Yes. But he has been told to use it only if he has no other choice and in a match against a fellow Leaf shinobi I doubt he will.” Kakashi answered. He smiled as he heard Naruto cheering his nii-san on from where he was waiting for his own match. He was also keeping an eye on a civilian a few stands away that was watching Harry a little too closely for comfort. He had a feeling he knew who it was but for now he would do nothing. He had no proof the man was Itachi and he hadn't done anything to endanger anyone, yet.
 
Harry quickly healed his ribs even as he rolled out of the way and back to his feet. Lee was simply too fast for him to hit with a jutsu so he was left with taijutsu, something that was not his forte. Sure he could fight but nowhere near Lee's level. He could keep fighting, using his magic to heal himself and wait for Lee to tire but that would drag things out for far to long. Thanks to his inheritance and healing abilities he knew he could outlast anyone except maybe Naruto or Garra, who wasn't competing, but he really didn't want to win that way. So that meant he had to outthink Lee somehow. Harry barely dodged a kick to the head and managed to retaliate but Lee moved away to quickly. Okay so Lee was way too fast for him normally, what about using a little magic to increase his speed? At least enough so that he could land the occasional hit.
 
Kakashi smiled slightly as he saw Harry's speed steadily increase, so he had decided to at least enhance his speed with magic. But was that all he was going to do? Their exchanges became more even as Harry became able to block easier and even land return blows but Lee still had his weights on. Surely the young Wizard had some sort of plan? Hadn't he pretty much led the last few fights in his own world? Kakashi raised his hitae-ate and his smile widened. With the Sharingan exposed he could see the subtle genjutsu Harry had used at some point without anyone noticing. It wasn't anything special but it should help slow Lee down a bit and confuse his senses a little. He had learnt soon after meeting Harry that not even the famed eyes of the Uchiha could detect when magic was used so who knew what else Harry had done.
 
Harry kept his face expressionless even as he began manipulating Lee into doing exactly what he wanted him to do. Okay so messing with his head, even the small amount he was doing, wasn't very nice but it was something a shinobi would do plus he was running out of options. Just a little further and he would be ready to spring the trap. Harry smirked slightly and Lee had a split second to realise his mistake before he screamed in utter terror and collapsed shaking. Harry instantly cancelled the spell and knelt beside Lee, kunai drawn and eyes on the referee.
 
“Winner Potter Harry.” Harry instantly put the kunai away and dug in his pouch for a few seconds. He pulled out the chocolate bar and quickly unwrapped it.
 
“Lee? Lee look at me.” Wide eyes met his and he smiled.
“It's okay. Here, eat this and you'll feel better.” Lee was shaking too badly so Harry helped him with the chocolate. It wasn't normal chocolate, even for Honeydukes. Shortly after war had truly broken out the company had brought out chocolate aimed to help with the effects of Dementors even quicker and Harry always carried some considering his reaction to the creatures.
“You'll be okay in a bit.” Lee managed a shaky nod as the medics approached and continued to eat the chocolate.
“I'm sorry Lee, you're just too good for me to fight fair against.” Harry was happy that his comment got a smile from the younger teen, even if it was shaky. He watched as Lee was helped from the arena before turning his attention to the medic standing beside him.
 
“You took some pretty hard hits, we should check you over.” The man stated.
 
“No need, I'm fine.” Harry assured him and then headed out of the arena himself.
 
--------------
“You were brilliant.” Harry turned to see a non-descript man staring at him. He cocked his head and then smiled brightly.
 
“Thanks. Want to grab some food love?” The love was said softly enough that no one else would be able to hear. Harry quickly led the way back to his hotel room and then pinned the man to the door.
“Nice disguise, mind ditching it though?” He asked as he nuzzled the others neck. In a second Itachi was standing there causing Harry to smile again. Itachi smirked as Harry's stomach growled loudly.
 
“So the food offer was genuine?” He teased.
 
“Har har har. Excuse me if fighting for that long makes me hungry.” Harry moved over to where he'd left food under a preservation charm but was stopped as Itachi wrapped his arms around him from behind.
 
“I meant what I said Harry, you were brilliant out there. You knew you couldn't beat his speed so you outthought him. If you don't make chuunin I'll be very surprised.” Itachi murmured in his ear as Harry melted into his embrace.
 
“Thanks. I hope Lee's okay, I'll check up on him later tonight.”
 
“What did you do to him?” Itachi asked as he released him so he could get the food.
 
“Remember that spell I was working on, to mimic the effects of a Dementor?” Itachi's eyes widened in surprise.
 
“That would explain why he screamed.”
 
“Yeah. I cut it within seconds though and I'll slip him some Dreamless Sleep tonight and tomorrow, after that he should be okay.”
 
“You impressed a few people with the way you helped him straight away, a lot of people would have been gloating and just stood around for the medics.”
 
“Yeah well I am a Gryffindor.”
 
“Who's at least half Slytherin.” Itachi grinned and then they both laughed. Harry finished preparing the meal and they settled down to eat. An hour later they had both showered, changed into sleep clothes, Itachi had placed weapons in various easy to reach places and were curled up in bed together for a good nights sleep.
 
---------------
Harry watched as Naruto and the sand-nin tested each other, a tight grip on the rail in front of him.
 
“Much tighter and you'll break your hand.” Harry grinned sheepishly and relaxed his grip before looking over his shoulder.
 
“Want me to steal it again Kakashi?” He asked mildly, smiling as the little orange book was quickly put away.
“You should be watching Naruto's fight as you would any of your other students. He's told me the way you favoured Sasuke from the start and while you've gotten better you still do it. He's not your only student. Besides, Iruka will want a blow by blow account of the fight from you later.” Harry finished with a smirk. Kakashi nodded, feeling embarrassed about having his favouritism pointed out.
“Did you ever wonder why Naruto has always relied on a small handful of jutsu? It's because he was never taught properly at the Academy until Iruka became his teacher and by then the bad learning habits were ingrained. I have to sit right next to him to get him to study and his attention span isn't anything to talk about. I've been teaching him a few things to help with that and I'll do the same for Sasuke in a while. He needs the better emotional control because of that seal and his feelings for his brother. They make him too reckless when Itachi's mentioned or around. Naruto reminds me of myself sometimes, I had no problem learning the higher-level stuff but I sucked at the basics for quite a while. Didn't help that I never got to really do my summer work thanks to my loving relatives. He is hated for something he can't help like I often was whenever something didn't go the way my people wanted it to. Sasuke has the fame that I did and never wanted and for the same reason, surviving. But he is far angrier than I ever was. I never thirsted for vengeance like he does; I just wanted the killing to stop. He's already a good way on the wrong path Kakashi, one that will destroy him. Sakura has been too obsessed with Sasuke to really put effort into training although she has been making more of an effort lately. You're meant to be their teacher, the one to guide them. Instead you pushed two aside for the one you and everyone else saw as special. All that did was make things worse. But you have the chance to fix things. Sakura needs a stronger purpose to follow then trying to win Sasuke, Sasuke needs to be shown there is more to life than his quest and Naruto needs to know you care about him as a person and as a student.” Harry stopped there, aware that he had been babbling but sometimes he just got so frustrated with the other man. Since taking Naruto under his wing he had taught the boy more than Kakashi had. He'd even managed a few conversations with Sasuke geared at making him realise he wasn't the only one who had seen their family die and that there was more to life than vengeance. He'd even talked to Sakura about her obsession with Sasuke. All of which Kakashi should have done years ago. Sure he liked Kakashi as a person but a reliable teacher he was not. Harry sighed tiredly and turned his full attention back to Naruto's fight in time to wince as the teen took a rather nasty hit. His wince turned to a smile, as Naruto got straight back up and attacked his opponent.
 
Kakashi stared at the back of Harry's head as the teen watched Naruto fight. He couldn't say anything even if he wanted too. How did Harry do it? He had only known them for a few months and yet he had seen things so much more clearly than anyone else. He hated to admit it, even to himself, but Harry was right. He had neglected his duties as their teacher from the start by focusing on Sasuke, leaving Naruto to flounder. He'd paid more attention to Sakura than the blond and had ignored how it must have hurt the boy. How could Iruka let him close when he had done that to the boy he looked to as a son or brother? He barely noticed as Naruto ended the match using a katon jutsu, something he had never taught the boy, and made his way towards them.
 
“Did you see nii-san?” Kakashi blinked back to the real world as Naruto's voice reached him. He smiled as he saw Harry grab the younger teen around the waist and hug him tightly before ruffling his hair.
 
“Of course I did. Great work kiddo.” Harry smiled proudly down at the blond and received an honest smile in return. Kakashi started at the sudden realisation that it was the first true smile he had ever seen the blond give. Had the dozens of smiles he had seen over the years all been a mask? A way to hide the pain? He swallowed and then moved forward to place a hand on Naruto's shoulder.
 
“Well done Naruto.” He praised quietly. Naruto stared at him in surprise before gifting him with a genuine of small smile.
 
“Thanks sensei.”
 
TBC…