Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Dreams ❯ CHapter 24 ( Chapter 24 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: Don't own them.
 
Chapter 24
 
 
Harry smiled as he watched Sasuke and Naruto spar. But there was a big difference between their recent spars and the ones of the past, the two teens were smiling as they fought, calling out pointers to each other and generally not trying to kill each other or getting mad. Sasuke had really begun to change since the removal of the seal and his talking to his brother. His reaction the morning after had been hilarious though. Harry didn't think he'd ever heard either teen yell so loud before and it wasn't even a yell more like a high pitched shriek as they woke wrapped around each other. And he had masses of pictures of the wonderful event. Sasuke had threatened to burn them when he found them, not that he ever would due to the wonders of magic. That and Itachi had several with him.
 
Harry sighed; things were going so well now that he knew something was going to go very wrong soon. It was just the way his life went. Whenever things were good something bad would happen. He just wished he had some idea what was about to go wrong. Where Itachi and Kisame in danger? Or were his friends here in Konoha?
 
“What's wrong?” Harry turned and mustered a smile for the curious jounin.
 
“Nothing.”
 
“You're a terrible liar, you know that right?” Kakashi said with a smile.
 
“So I've been told. It's just a feeling.” Harry shrugged.
 
“Oh?”
 
“That something's going to happen, something bad.” Harry explained.
 
“Here or with them?”
 
“I don't know. I'm not even sure something will happen it's just that whenever things go this right something happens to negate it all.” Harry sat down and leant against a tree. Watching the teens as their fight continued.
 
“Then there's nothing you can do.”
 
“You think I don't know that?”
 
--------------------------------------
He ran as fast as he could through the trees having crossed the border back into Fire Country not ten minutes ago and yet they were still following him. He shook his head in annoyance; didn't they know how to give up? What was it with followers of evil snakes and being utterly persistent? Grumbling under his breath he gathered some magic and then proceeded to blast them all back several feet. And still they got up and continued the chase. Seriously he was going to have some choice words to say to Tsunade when he got home. Sending a chuunin into Sound territory? What had the woman been thinking? Okay so he was incredibly hard to kill and had an incredible amount of magic to back up his chakra but still. He patted a pocket of his vest and smiled, at least he still had the scroll he'd been sent for. But seriously the idiots behind him were really starting to annoy him. Deciding he was far enough that they couldn't see him anymore he simply apparated, appearing just out of sight of the village gates. Shaking his head he strolled out of the forest, waving to the guards as he entered the village and headed for the Hokage's office to hand the scroll over.
 
Tsunade looked up in surprise as a rather mad looking Harry Potter stormed into her office and slammed something down on her desk.
 
“I take it your mission was a success then?”
 
“What were you thinking assigning that to a chuunin?” He gritted out.
“Want to know how close I came to dieing?”
 
“But you didn't. You and Naruto are probably the only ones who could have survived that mission thanks to your healing abilities. Team 7 are out on a mission so take a few days off. The teacher exams are in two months if you're still interested.” Harry nodded absently and left the office, heading for the apartment he still shared with Kakashi.
 
------------------------------
Harry smiled and joined Kakashi, Iruka and Naruto near where Tsunade would soon be.
 
“Any idea what's going on?” Naruto asked and Harry shook his head even though his instincts were screaming that it had to do with the scroll he'd stolen from Sound almost a week ago. Looking around the room he noticed that only the genin were missing and knew that that was not a good sign.
 
“She's called everyone but the genin so whatever it is is big.” Iruka said softly. He smiled as he felt a calloused hand entwine with his. He squeezed Kakashi's hand and blushed slightly as he saw Harry grinning at them. The younger man just winked and then turned his attention to the front of the room as Tsunade entered, Shizune following her as usual. All the ninja present straightened and fell silent as she stared at them.
 
“Thanks to the efforts of one of your comrades we now know some of Orochimaru's plans. The Sound will attack within the week.” Exclamations of shock met her announcement, only their small group remaining silent. Harry looked grim, he'd been right then and he'd had a feeling since snatching the scroll that a fight was coming. Iruka squeezed his lovers' hand even tighter as he began to mentally go over everything that would have to be done to evacuate the children and civilians in time. Naruto was silent as well, remembering everything the snake sannin had done. He blinked as Harry grabbed his wrist, looking down he smiled sheepishly as he saw the blood dripping from his clenched fists, oops.
 
----------------------------
Itachi blinked as Harry buried his head in his shirt, clinging tightly to him.
 
“What is it? What's wrong?” Itachi asked, bringing his arms up to wrap around the teen.
 
“Sound's going to attack within the week.” Harry's voice was muffled by the fabric but still understandable. Itachi tightened his grip.
“That last mission I was sent on, the scroll I grabbed had some of the plans on it. They're starting to evacuate the civilians already with genin and some chuunin guarding them. I don't want to fight another war.” Harry finished softly. Itachi moved so that they were sitting beneath their tree and held the younger man close.
 
“Try to stay away from the front lines, I don't want you to have to face Orochimaru or Kabuto despite the fact I know you could beat them both if you went to full power.”
 
“And take out half of Konoha? Tsunade would really like me then. I don't want to go near them either, too close to too many bad memories but I will stay with my team-mates and I know they'll be at the front.”
 
“I know.” Itachi held him close, knowing that despite everything there was a slim chance the wizard would die in the coming fight. He doubted even Harry could survive decapitation or being blown up.
 
-------------------------
Iruka looked up and smiled in gratitude as Harry took the top few boxes of the pile he'd been trying to carry. The evacuation was going well and to plan thankfully with very few people complaining, they still remembered the damage done during the chuunin exams.
 
“How are you holding up?” Iruka asked softly.
 
“This is hardly my first war or the first evacuation I've helped with.” Harry shrugged.
“But I've got more to loose this time, more people I can't bare thinking about losing.”
 
“They're strong Harry, we have to trust them to do what it takes to survive.” Iruka said a little thickly and Harry understood he was thinking about Kakashi. Iruka was one of the chuunin that would be guarding the civilians and children and Harry knew it had to be tearing him up inside to not be able to stand by his loved ones in the coming battle.
 
“I'll do whatever I can to make sure he comes home to you.” The teen promised softly and Iruka nodded.
 
----------------------------------------
“Yo.” Iruka turned and threw himself into Kakashi's arms, clinging tightly to the older man not that Kakashi was complaining, in fact he was holding on just as tightly.
 
“I love you.” Iruka whispered against his shirt and Kakashi pulled back enough to pull down his mask and then kiss him deeply.
“I wish I was going to be out there with you.” Iruka admitted once they parted for air but Kakashi shook his head.
 
“I'm glad you won't be. At least you'll be fairly safe unless things go for the worst. I can fight without constantly wondering if you're okay or dead somewhere on the field. It's going to be hard enough keeping an eye on the others.”
 
“Harry's going to do protection spells on as many people as he can so that should help. Between the raw power he and Naruto can harness we should win, right?”
 
“Right.” Kakashi whispered, wanting to believe it even though he had his doubts.
 
“Promise me you'll do everything you can to come back to me.” Iruka cupped his face in his hands and Kakashi smiled sadly down at him.
 
“I promise.” Kakashi pulled him close, holding him gently.
 
-------------------------
Harry watched the forest below him carefully from his perch in the tree. He knew that the surrounding trees were also occupied and could sense them magically but he couldn't feel their chakra. Hopefully that meant that any Sound-nin would be unable to sense them too. He tightened his grip on his kunai as he felt a group approaching, their chakra also hidden. He readied himself as they gradually moved closer and prepared to throw.
 
TBC…