Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Since When Are There Two Potters? ❯ Chapter 16 ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Still don't own them.
 
Chapter 16
 
 
Harry wasn't surprised to be the first one up the next morning, instincts left over from the war. He silently slipped out of his sleeping bag, grabbed his sword and moved far enough from the camp that he wouldn't wake anyone. He left Hedwig watching their guests since she could alert him if there was any trouble. Once he found a place he liked he stripped off his jacket and began going through the various katas he had been taught. He kept going even as Hedwig alerted him that the others were beginning to stir so he wasn't all that surprised when he felt someone watching him.
 
“You're pretty good.” Harry slowed to a stop and turned to face Zabuza. He gave the other man a small smile.
 
“Thanks.” Harry put his sword down and grabbed his water bottle, taking a long drink.
 
“Missing-nin?” And began choking on the water.
 
“Hardly.” He managed to cough out.
“Sasuke's the only one in this family with any ninja training. None of my teachers were shinobi and my styles a combination of bits and pieces of theirs. Used to annoy them like nothing else how I'd take bits and pieces and put them together to make my own style.” Harry shrugged.
 
“Could I see your sword?” Zabuza asked, curious about the weapon. Harry looked at him for a few minutes before silently handing it over. The missing-nin studied the blade. It was a well-made blade though more ornamental looking than most functional blades. He didn't recognise the type of blade either. The hilt was set with several jewels and there appeared to be some sort of writing etched into the blade.
 
“It's a hand-and-half or bastard sword. It's actually two swords merged together. One had been in my family for centuries and the other was just as old and had as much history but with another family. I melted them down and combined them into the one blade. The rubies are from my family sword and the emeralds from the other. The writing is various runes for things like protection, to keep the blade sharp and un-breakable, stuff like that. The blade is blood bonded to me so you could swing at me all day with it and it won't cut me.” Harry explained. The two swords had been Gryffindor's sword, which he had pulled from the hat in second year and Slytherin's blade, a short sword. The two blades had been highly magical on their own, combined they were incredible.
“So, decided wether or not you're still heading for Wave?” Harry asked as he watched Zabuza take a few experimental swings with the sword before shifting his own stance slightly to show the other man the correct way to do so. He'd noticed the difference between his own sword and those carried by the natives; then again Zabuza's was in a class of its own.
 
“We need the money, weird warning or not.” Zabuza replied as he handed the sword back.
“Not a bad sword.”
 
“Thanks. So what exactly is the work?” Harry rolled his eyes at the look Zabuza shot him for the question.
“Just trying to make conversation.”
 
“To stop a bridge from being built.” Zabuza finally answered and Harry looked at him.
 
“Sounds…fun?” Zabuza snorted and Harry laughed.
“Want to travel together till then? I get the feeling Sasuke and Haku like each other and the kid needs more friends.” Zabuza stared at him and Harry met the stare knowing what Zabuza was looking for, his motives and wether or not he was being truthful. Finally the other man nodded.
“Lets get back to camp before the others think we've killed each other.” Harry tossed him a lopsided grin and began walking, Zabuza quickly falling into step beside him.
 
“You are odd.” Harry laughed at that.
 
“Not the worst I've been called mate.”
 
------------------------
Harry smiled as he watched Haku spar with Sasuke. His brother had learnt more off the teen in the last three days then he had in the months training with Maya and was gaining confidence in his abilities, finally. Haku was pushing Sasuke's speed to levels Harry had never imagined his brother would be able to reach, not in his wildest dreams.
 
“He's a quick learner.” Zabuza commented causing Harry to look over at him.
 
“Always has been. He's like a sponge when it comes to knowledge.” Harry shrugged and went back to watching. He could feel Zabuza splitting his attention between the two kids and himself but didn't know why.
 
“Would you like to spar?” Harry's head shot around to stare at the ninja.
 
“I'm not suicidal Zabuza. Yeah, I can use a sword but I know nothing of chakra and that's what you guys use in a fight.” Harry admitted even though he was sure he could actually match Zabuza in an all out fight but he didn't want to reveal his magic at this point.
 
“Then a spar with swords and no chakra? I'll admit I would like to see you fight with that blade.” Harry sighed and then nodded. The two men moved further from their charges and Harry grabbed his sword, going through a few warm up stretches first.
 
--------------
Harry mock glared at the two sniggering boys even as Zabuza kept his head down. All right, so it had been mildly amusing but not that funny! It wasn't like he'd meant to lose his footing and grabbing onto the nearest object to keep his balance had been a reflex. At least his and Zabuza's clothes were nearly dry. He'd been doing really well till then too. It had taken a while to adjust to fighting someone with such a large blade but Harry had always been quick to adapt. Just as they'd really gotten into it Harry had lost his footing while parrying a blow and had tumbled into the river, taking Zabuza with him. His shout of surprise had brought the two kids running only to collapse in laughter at the sight of the two older men looking something like drowned rats. Even Zabuza had eventually seen how ridiculous they looked and had chuckled.
 
As they settled around the fire to eat the rabbits they had caught for dinner Harry observed their new friends sadly. He knew that Sasuke was very very rarely wrong when nature whispered to him and he didn't want the two shinobi to die. He made a silent promise to do what he could to keep the two from dieing and he could see the same determination in his brothers' eyes.
 
--------------------------
“Well this is where we part.” Zabuza announced two days later.
“We need to meet with our employer about the job.” Harry nodded and the two teens said goodbye sadly. Harry extended his hand to Zabuza and the other man clasped it.
 
“Good luck. Remember Sasuke's warning and stay on your guard. We have too few friends to want to loose any. We'll be around for a while if you want to meet up again.” Harry told the man before moving to say goodbye to Haku. Knowing the boy's interest in healing he gave him a few herbs not found locally. The teenager smiled his thanks and said goodbye. Harry and Sasuke watched the two vanish, Sevy pressing against Sasuke's leg in an attempt to give comfort to his master.
“Come on kiddo, let's find a town or something. Don't know about you but I'd like to sleep in a bed tonight.” Sasuke nodded at his aniki and they began walking again.
 
----------------
Sasuke pressed closer to his brother and relaxed slightly as he felt a comforting and protective arm settle across his shoulders. He stared around the small town in barely hidden sorrow. The people were obviously suffering and it tore at his heart. From what he could feel of his brother the older man was faring no better. He didn't like the feelings of despair that seemed to permeate the very air they breathed and would have liked to leave but he knew Harry wouldn't, not yet anyway.
 
Harry looked down at Sasuke and squeezed his shoulders, offering silent comfort. He knew that Sasuke would be feeling the despair and pain more than he was and he hated putting his brother through it but he knew they were meant to be here for now. He could see signs of poverty everywhere he looked and the fear that went with it was enough to make him feel ill. And as luck would have it he had yet to see any sign of a hotel. He felt Sasuke press even closer and sighed, looked like they'd be camping again just to escape the overwhelming negative emotions.
 
“Come on, we'll camp on the other side of town. Take Sevy and Hedwig and find a good place, I'll catch up.” Sasuke looked up at him and Harry smiled.
“Keep your weapons handy.” He added in a lower tone. Sasuke nodded and moved away, the two animals following. Harry watched as they walked towards the other end of the town and then effortlessly disappeared amongst the natives, listening and observing carefully. What he heard made his blood boil and he nearly gave himself away when his magic flared and a nearby window shattered. He shook himself mentally, he hadn't had trouble like that since he was sixteen but apparently it could still happen. So their new friends were working for just the sort of person that made Harry mad, a power hungry, money loving bully. Brilliant! Could things get any worse?
 
Several inhabitants of the town stopped to gawk at the dark haired man who was currently swearing in several different languages as he stormed down the road. And it appeared the object of his anger, was himself?
 
TBC…