Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Only In Your Eyes Am I Worthy ❯ Venom of Violence ( Chapter 23 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Evangelion: Only In Your Eyes Am I Worthy
 
Author's Note: I would like to remind everyone (since it has come up several times in reviews) that blue cells are energy carrying cells containing energy released from a Super Solenoid organ. The energy pattern is blue, as it is with all angels. I figure the blue cells are actually red blood cells (corpuscles) or something very similar but rather than carrying oxygen or carbon-dioxide, they carry the energy produced by the S2 organ. When the blue blood cells are first introduced to the body, normal energy and neurotransmitter levels are interfered with, causing all manner of strange and ill-effects, but it doesn't take overly long for the body to adjust and regain homeostasis, so it's not a permanent effect.
 
Required Disclaimer: Still no own. Still no money. Too evil for a conscience. I think I might just have some jelly donuts around here now, however… Enjoy and ponder on the glory of GAINAX! And stuff.
 
Chapter 23: Venom of Violence
 
 
Dr. Akagi entered the infirmary and gave the first child a polite smile. “Good morning, Rei. Were you waiting long?”
 
“No, Akagi-dono.” Rei responded softly.
 
Ritsuko nodded, figuring the girl would likely say that even if she had been waiting an hour or two. “Are you ready for your follow-up exam?”
 
“Hai.” The blue-haired girl responded.
 
The doctor took a blood sample, intentionally causing more than the necessary amount of pain. She looked at a drop of it under a microscope while placing the rest into a machine for various chemical analyses. “The concentration of your blue blood cells has increased. Likely due to your little outburst the other day.”
 
Rei remained silent.
 
Ritsuko scowled. She hated talking to the first child. It was the one duty she would trade even for toilet cleaning. “Have you been experiencing any of the perception difficulties that Ikari-kun reported in his last exam?”
 
“No, my body has long since adjusted to my Super Solenoid organ.” The red-eyed girl responded. To the doctor's ears, it sounded arrogant, but it was actually her normal neutral tone.
 
“You and Shinji have been rather close as of late, have you not?” Dr. Akagi inquired, deviously looking for a way to hurt the girl.
 
“Hai.” Rei responded honestly, seeing no reason to hide her relationship from the older woman.
 
The doctor smirked, using the clipboard she was writing notes on to hide the expression from the girl. “You should watch out for those Ikari men. I know you think you have them both wrapped around your little finger, but Shinji is cheating on you.”
 
Dr. Akagi gave the first child a (fake) sympathetic look when she gained the girl's attention and shook her head. “Poor dear. He had sex with Ibuki-taii. Just the other day, in fact.”
 
Instead of looking hurt or angry, the girl simply nodded. “I know.”
 
Ritsuko was shocked. “He told you?!”
 
“No, I did not ask him to. I sensed his energy inside her.” Rei responded.
 
“Don't you care?!” The doctor exclaimed, frustrated that her ploy to hurt Commander Ikari's favorite didn't work.
 
The blue-haired girl looked at the doctor, expressionless. “No. He may share his body with whomever he wishes. I am only interested in his heart.”
 
“The Ikari men are incapable of love.” Ritsuko stated darkly, glaring down at the girl as she set her clipboard to the side.
 
“On the contrary,” The first child stated, a touch of a smile pulling up the corner of her mouth as she mocked the good doctor, “They love quite deeply and passionately. It is simply that his love was already given to another, and not to you.” She knew that Ritsuko had been sleeping with the commander, just as six years before, her former self had known that he was sleeping with Naoko Akagi.
 
Dr. Akagi's eyes widened in outrage. With an animalistic snarl, she grabbed her stethoscope and snapped it around the neck of the blue-haired girl and started strangling her. She found a perverse pleasure in watching the panic in the girl's eyes as her porcelain features started turning red and purple. “You fucking doll! How dare you?! She cried as she started pulling harder as the girl's struggles became more frantic.
 
Rei couldn't even think, reliving the first time she died in the same manner as the doctor did her best to return her to death's embrace.
 
Ritsuko blinked when she saw the girl's eyes start rolling backwards and let the girl go, feeling nauseated as the rage and adrenaline receded. “Oh god… I'm just like my mother.” The blonde doctor gasped, curling up on the floor against one of the medical beds and started shivering.
 
The first child gasped and choked for air, but remained lying on the bed where the doctor had strangled her. Her fingers tenderly touched the nasty bruise forming where the rubber tube of the stethoscope had wrapped around her neck and winced in pain.
 
“I'm… I'm sorry, Rei. I didn't mean it. I'm so sorry.” Ritsuko pleaded, still sobbing while sitting on the floor with her fingers clutching her hair in a death-grip.
 
Rei sat up slowly and stared at the doctor silently, before replying enigmatically, “Ayanami-san.” A touch of anger was in her voice.
 
Dr. Akagi blinked and looked up at the girl, confused. “What?”
 
“I am not a doll. I am not a thing. I am Ayanami Rei. You will call me Ayanami-san from now on.” The first child stated dispassionately. She really hated to be called a doll, and she didn't like it how the doctor refused to use honorifics with her name, as if she were nothing.
 
“What does it matter? Ikari will never forgive me for what I did to you. I'll spend the rest of my, probably short life in a cell.” Ritsuko grumbled. Part of her wanted to finish the job, at least then she'd have that small comfort as she rotted in jail.
 
“Your life is forfeit. It is now mine. I will not report you.” Rei stated coldly.
 
Dr. Akagi stared at the girl, dumbfounded why she wouldn't report her for nearly murdering the girl. “You… aren't going to report me to Commander Ikari, Rei?”
 
“Ayanami-san.” The first child corrected her immediately. She even sounded annoyed.
 
Ritsuko looked away, anger on her face once more. She wondered which was worse, showing the girl that much respect, or going to a jail cell and likely being executed. She huffed indignantly and rested her forehead in the heel of her hand and grumbled out, “Hai, Ayanami-san. Gomen nasai.” She swallowed her pride, and it was bitter.
 
“Is my examination complete?” Rei inquired, as if nothing had happened.
 
Ritsuko shook her head. “Let me examine your neck. Next time I examine you, I'll do a pelvic exam so we can see what's going on with your S2 organ.” She silently, and gently, tilted the girl's head different directions and looked at the bruise and checked the vascular status of the surrounding tissue. “Any difficulty breathing?”
 
“It hurts.” Rei responded honestly.
 
Ritsuko closed her eyes and sighed. `Am I just like my mother, or is this the effect that Ikari has on women? Have I become a murderer of children? Damn you, Gendo. Why couldn't you have lovedme?' Aloud, she stated “Your airway isn't compromised and your vascular function is intact, so the pain should recede in a few hours, due to your enhanced healing.”
 
“Understood.” The first child responded evenly.
 
“That's it for today. You are dismissed, Re… uh… Ayanami-san.” Dr. Akagi quickly turned around so the girl didn't see the evil expression on her face as she bit down her anger.
 
“Hai. Sayonara, Ritsuko.” Rei left without another word.
 
Ritsuko clenched her teeth and her fists at that last dig. “That bitch!”
 
 
*************************
 
 
Misato walked out of her room and grabbed a beer and started toasting some bread.
 
“Good morning, Misato-san.” Shinji called out a greeting, smiling politely.
 
“Morning.” She replied in a grumpy tone. She sat down and sipped her beer and chewed on her toast, ignoring the third child.
 
The blue-eyed boy felt nervous because of how she was acting, but figured it was because she had a hangover so he didn't bother her.
 
Major Katsuragi felt grumpy because she had a sore muscle in her back. Though she wouldn't admit it out loud, especially now that she didn't have the luxury of blaming the whiskey, she had really wanted the boy to come into her room and give her a massage… and she wouldn't have minded if things got a little kinky. She smiled inwardly and wondered if she was turning into a dirty old woman, but immediately she corrected herself by protesting that she was still young and nubile. `After all, old woman aren't thisperky.' She wiggled her chest and did her best to look innocent as Shinji's eyes bugged out.
 
“I'm working late tonight. You might want to have dinner with your girlfriends, or order out.” Misato suggested, unable to refrain from teasing the boy a little even if she was grumpy that he didn't come into her room to give her a massage and… a massage. She stood up, brushed the crumbs off her uniform, and waved politely as she left.
 
“Oh uh… ok. Bye Misato-san.” Shinji called out quickly. As the door was closing, the major heard him say, “Wait, girlfriends!?” She could hear him sputtering but she just smiled and continued walking.
 
After getting to work, she greeted Hyuga as she got a cup of coffee. “So, what have you learned about the new pilot?”
 
Makoto adjusted his glasses as he finished typing in the commands to run the morning diagnostics. “To be honest, not much. All his records were wiped.”
 
Misato raised an eyebrow as she sat down and frowned in thought. “Just like Ayanami's… what could SEELE be hiding?”
 
“The only information available, other than his name, is his birth date.” The lieutenant informed her, handing over a printout with that information.
 
The major's blood froze as she looked at the date, the scar on her chest throbbed with phantom pains as she remembered that horrible day. “The day of Second Impact. Something just doesn't feel right about this.”
 
“There is a little more…” Lt. Hyuga added, indicating the major should flip the page. “That's the information on his pilot training at SEELE… until yesterday, he's never tested at less than an 85 percent sync rating. Even with cores that weren't aligned for him.”
 
Misato felt her suspicions arise. “That's impossible! Not even Asuka and Shinji tested that high until recently…”
 
The lieutenant shrugged, also confused. “It's possible that they doctored the results to get him into NERV headquarters.” He suggested.
 
“A SEELE spy?” The major guessed, looking over the reports. Judging by the information they had, even with Unit 02 being aligned for Asuka, he still should have had a high enough sync rate to at least move the Eva. So something was very off.
 
Makoto glanced around to make sure no one else was within hearing range. “That's my guess. You should report this to Commander Ikari.”
 
Misato shuddered slightly when he said that, remembering what happened the last time a spy had come up between her and the commander. `Will I now be stained with the blood of a child?' What bothered her even more than being ordered to execute her own lover for being a spy was the fact that she knew the commander had known about the man's double-agent status long before he had ordered the man's execution. Kaji had stated as much when he showed her Adam in Terminal Dogma. So either he had discovered something he wasn't supposed to, or the commander was testing her loyalty. Either way, she didn't like it. “I'll take care of it.” The major informed him, glancing up at the observation deck even though she knew he was likely in his office.
 
She sighed, steeled her nerves, and made her way up to the Supreme Commander's office and knocked on the door. A few moments later, the commander's voice came over an intercom, telling her to enter. She walked forward and stood at attention. “Sir.” The major waited patiently for the man to tell her to proceed.
 
Gendo stared down at some reports, intentionally making the woman wait longer. Finally he signed one of them and closed the manila envelope and looked up at the purple-haired beauty. “Proceed, major.”
 
Misato laid the reports that Makoto had given her on the commander's desk. “Sir, I have reason to believe that the fifth child is actually a SEELE spy, and not even a valid pilot.”
 
The commander looked at the reports, his face betraying nothing. “This is his sync test results from yesterday?” He inquired, frowning at the results.
 
“Yes sir. Given his supposed past performance, he should have had a much higher sync ratio, even with the core still being aligned for Pilot Soryu.” Misato explained, though the results spoke for themselves.
 
The commander flipped through the papers, though he was already familiar with most of the material. “And it is your belief that the fifth child's results have been doctored to gain him access to this facility?”
 
“Yes sir.” Misato agreed.
 
“To what end?” Gendo inquired. “SEELE would have known we would have tested with Unit 02 him soon after his arrival. If he was sent here as a spy and he could not produce these results, they would have known he'd be exposed immediately.”
 
The major considered that thoughtfully. “I'm not sure, sir. The only other explanation is that Unit 02 purposely rejected Nagisa, in the same manner that it rejected Pilot Ikari. Which is also a possibility. But even so, it still stands to reason that he is a spy.”
 
The commander folded his hands in front of his face and fell silent. After some consideration, he ordered, “Given his inability to sync with Unit 02, and the status of Unit 01, we have no reason to assign him any clearance higher than reserve pilot status. His access to NERV will be limited and monitored. He is to receive clearance ahead of time before visiting NERV headquarters, and his movements here will be closely monitored. Should he prove a problem, I expect you to handle the matter personally.”
 
Misato was afraid he'd say that. “Yes sir.”
 
“While I am on that subject, your method to handle the Ryoji situation was satisfactory.” Gendo informed her in a knowing tone.
 
The major blinked in surprise. “S-sir?”
 
“Quite ingenius, really. Medically induced amnesia. Akagi-dono is very good at her work.” The commander stated cryptically.
 
Misato paled, wondering if the man was really impressed with her careful interpretation of his orders, or if he was only pretending to be while preparing her for a similar fate. “Yes sir, she is.”
 
Commander Ikari stared at her silently for several minutes, ignoring how nervous and uncomfortable she looked, or possibly enjoying her discomfort. “Before I dismiss you… how has Shinji been?”
 
The purple-haired beauty blinked in surprise. She could count on one hand the number of times he inquired about his son since he moved in with her. Actually, she would still have a few fingers remaining. “He is well. To be honest, I think he's coming out of his shell.”
 
Gendo's expression didn't change. “Explain.”
 
She sighed. This was the bad part about taking over guardianship of someone's child… especially when the parent was someone like Gendo Ikari. “His relationships with his fellow pilots has improved greatly in the past few weeks. It appears they may even be friends.”
 
“Only friends?” The commander inquired, in the same statement/question tone Rei often used. It was likely from him that she picked up her mannerisms, of course.
 
Misato coughed nervously. “Perhaps more than friends.”
 
“Are you implying, major, that my son is romantic with one of his fellow pilots?” Gendo inquired in a mysterious tone that could have been annoyance, acceptance, or amusement. How he pulled it off, only he knew.
 
Major Katsuragi started to sweat. “Yes sir.”
 
Then she received the question that she was dreading the moment the subject came up. “Which pilot is my son fraternizing with?” The commander asked, or perhaps demanded.
 
Misato really started to sweat now. He seemed angry, but the commander was always difficult to read. “To be honest, at first I wasn't sure. I thought he and Soryu were getting romantic, but that doesn't seem to be the case. However… I can tell he is rather… smitten with Ayanami.”
 
Commander Ikari was silent for well over five minutes. Her report basically confirmed what he already suspected, from his own observations of his two children. “Are you encouraging this romance, major?” He finally asked. Judging by her wince, he knew the answer already.
 
“Yes sir.” The purple-haired beauty replied sheepishly.
 
“Explain your reasons.” Gendo commanded.
 
Misato bit her lip nervously. “The primary reason being Shinji's mental state. As I said before, he seems much happier now. He also seems much stronger than before. Braver, even. Furthermore, Pilot Ayanami's Eva is irreparably damaged, so I see no consequences outside of normal romance ones coming up. They won't be fighting Angels together anymore, so there is no chance of it affecting their judgment.”
 
“And if their relationship ends badly? Given Unit 01's tendency to berserk, coupled with it's acquisition of a Super Solenoid cell, if Pilot Ikari's mental state is damaged by such an event, it will jeopardize us all.” Commander Ikari stated.
 
The major nodded. “Yes sir. That is a risk. However, Pilot Soryu's mental health has been improving lately due to her psychological treatments and her improving social interactions with her fellow pilots. Her sync ratio is steadily returning to normal, she is much happier now than I have seen her in a long time, and we may not need to take Unit 01 out of Cryo-lockdown with only one Angel left. Furthermore, I believe the benefits of a relationship for Shinji's mental state far outweigh the risks. Sir.”
 
Gendo considered her words for several more minutes, then asked “And if I ordered you to inform them they were no longer to see one another?”
 
Misato sighed, visually deflating. “I would protest, but I would comply to your orders, of course.”
 
The commander let her sweat over it for several more minutes, and then nodded. “Understood. Good work, major.”
 
Major Katsuragi blinked in surprise, unsure if he meant what she thought he meant. “So… I don't have to order them to stop seeing one another?”
 
“Correct. Despite my personal feelings on the matter, I have also noticed improvements in Shinji's attitude. And I have already spoken with Rei on the matter, and she convinced me that her feelings for Shinji would cause no problems from her.” Gendo admitted.
 
For a moment she wasn't sure why the commander would have a personal objection to their relationship, and then she remembered that the girl was raised by the commander. It must have seemed like his children were having an incestuous affair, to him. She mentally went `Blah!' as she thought of that, but figured it didn't matter to the children since they were raised separately and had no genetic ties. She assumed. `Unless she really ishis daughter… ew!' She shook off that thought before responding. “Yes sir, thank you sir.”
 
“Dismissed, major.” Gendo ordered, turning his attention back to his paperwork.
 
“Thank you sir.” Misato left, feeling like the weight of the world was taken off her shoulders the moment she exited his office. She leaned back against the door and let out a long “Phew!”
 
 
*************************
 
 
Shinji pressed the buzzer on Rei's apartment door. After he finished breakfast he realized the girls might be hungry and not have anything to eat so he had rushed to the market to pick up some groceries, and then he ran all the way to the first child's apartment, lugging the heavy bag. He waited a few minutes and then cautiously opened the door. “Ah… Rei-chan? Asuka-chan? I brought breakfast. I rang the buzzer but I don't even know if it works.” He waited a few moments for an answer, but when he received none, he entered the apartment and set the bag down on the counter, kicked his shoes off, and walked through the short hallway into the bedroom area. He peeked into the room, ready to apologize if they were sleeping, but frowned when he didn't see anyone. “Oh… did they leave already?”
 
The third child sighed and sat down on the chair near the bed, wondering where his fellow pilots could have gone. “Maybe they went out to breakfast?” He wondered aloud.
 
A few moments later he heard a sound coming from the entrance hallway and turned to look, figuring Rei had just come home. Instead, he saw Asuka walking into the room while toweling her hair, nude. His mouth dropped open in shock and his cheeks started burning in embarrassment. He tried to apologize, but he squeaked instead. He tried to turn his head away, but his neck refused to cooperate.
 
The red-haired girl dropped the towel down around her shoulders and blinked in surprise when she saw the young Ikari staring at her. “Shinji-kun? What are you doing here?”
 
“I… I… breakfast… brought… door… I thought… uh… I didn't… I mean… uh…” Shinji was completely flustered.
 
“What's your problem?” Asuka inquired, surprised at how he was reacting.
 
“You're uh… and you're not… you know… and… huh?” The blue-eyed boy blushed, wondering if it was the apartment that made girls so immodest.
 
The German girl looked at the boy as if he had grown a third eye, but then her gaze traveled down to see what he was looking at. “Pervert!” She cried, turning around and her skin flushed as dark as her hair.
 
Shinji looked away politely. “Why are you calling me the pervert when you were the one coming in here naked? Then just standing there? I can't help looking at a beautiful girl.”
 
Asuka blushed at the compliment and started dressing. “I guess it's ok if you look. I thought I heard a sound in here but I thought Rei-chan had come back already.”
 
The third child blinked in surprise then turned back to look at the girl as she pulled on some panties. The blush crept back into his cheeks but he kept his comments to himself, because he wanted to live. And he didn't want the girl to turn violent on him. “She went somewhere?”
 
The second child nodded, turning around after putting her bra on and picked up a bright yellow shirt that she had worn the day before then pulled on a pair of jeans. “To NERV. I think Frau Doktor Akagi wanted to do a follow-up exam on her.”
 
“Oh.” Shinji responded, realizing that made sense. “I have one of those tomorrow. Um… have you eaten yet? And do you think Rei-chan will come back wanting breakfast?”
 
Asuka grinned. “Ah, Zimmer mit Frühstück (bed and breakfast)… I should spend the night with Rei-chan more often. She might get something at NERV, but I don't know. You should cook enough for her just in case.”
 
The third child nodded and walked into the entrance hallway to turn on the stove and started to cook. “I picked up some eggs and bacon for you, and some miso and tofu for Rei-chan, is that all right?”
 
Asuka turned a slight shade of green as she remembered Rei informing her that eggs were chicken menses. She still couldn't shake that thought out of her head. “Uh… bacon is fine. And maybe I'll try some of that miso that you Japanese love so much.”
 
The blue-eyed boy blinked and looked at the red-haired girl, surprised she turned down eggs. She hadn't turned down eggs the entire time he had known her. “Sure you don't want an omelet?”
 
“I said no, baka!” The German girl cried, shivering in revulsion. “Why'd Rei have to go and call eggs that?! I love eggs.” She sniffled pitifully.
 
Shinji brought some crispy bacon and a bowl of miso with tofu to the table and set it in front of the girl along with a glass of orange juice. “Here you go, Asuka-chan.”
 
The second child chewed on a slice of bacon and made an mmm sound. “You're getting pretty liberal with those chans.”
 
The third child paled, as he had not even realized he had been doing it. “Oh! Gomen nasai… I didn't mean to be so…”
 
“Nein! That's not what I meant, dummkopf. I like it. Rei-chan likes it too. Don't stop.” Asuka interrupted.
 
“Ah… h-hai, Asuka-chan. Arigato.” Shinji blushed in embarrassment.
 
“Speaking of Rei-chan… how do you feel about her?” The girl inquired, raising an eyebrow curiously as she took a sip of the miso soup then made a weird face as she looked at it. “You people eat this stuff all the time?” She asked skeptically.
 
“Hai. You probably should have had it before the bacon.” The blue-eyed boy replied. He waited a few moments as she took another sip and shrugged, waving her hand to indicate she was indifferent about it. “Ah… Rei-chan… she's… well… I… ah…” He blushed.
 
Asuka quirked an eyebrow up. “Oh, just spit it out already!” She griped. “You blow a synapse or something?!”
 
The young Ikari blushed some more and glanced away from the girl. “I care about her. She's… you know. I really like her.”
 
“What about me?” The red-haired girl inquired. She couldn't help but ask, though she hadn't intended to. She told Rei she wouldn't cause problems, and she really wasn't trying to but… she was insecure. And she needed to know where she fit into all this.
 
“Nani? Ah… well… I care about you too, Asuka-chan.” The boy explained.
 
“So you want us both?” Asuka asked, finishing off her soup to hide the smile that formed on her lips as the boy started sputtering.
 
“It's not like that! I care about you both. But… I don't know. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.” Shinji visually deflated. He realized that if he pursued either girl, the other would likely be hurt. And, when he was being honest with himself, he wanted to pursue Rei. Desperately. `But sometimes, you have to put aside your own desires for the good of others.' Shinji thought, hating that part of honor.
 
The red-haired girl blinked. “Wait, so you're saying you're not going to date either one of us?”
 
The third child felt depression settle over his heart. “I… suppose not.”
 
Asuka threw her hands up in exasperation. “You are hopeless! What is it with you people!? I'll never understand you.” She sighed, noticing the boy looked ready to crawl somewhere dark and cry his heart out. “Well if you're not going to date her, then I will. Idiot!”
 
Shinji blinked. Even after the girl's teasing last night, which he felt sure she was making up, that statement still shocked him. “You and… Rei-chan?”
 
“Why not?” The red-haired girl leaned back in her chair and crossed her arms and gave the boy a haughty glare. “Someone has to kiss that poor girl if you won't.”
 
“So… everyone is going to have someone but me?” The boy complained, wishing he were dead. Or at least in a coma or something.
 
“It's your own damn fault. Maybe you should see Dr. Kagame. Maybe then you'd realize that if you want to kiss a girl, then kiss her! If you don't, then don't complain about it! Ach! Silly boys.” She rolled her eyes and shook her head sadly.
 
“But I can't just kiss Rei-chan like that…” Shinji complained pitifully.
 
“And why ever not?” The red-haired girl inquired skeptically.
 
The third child let out a sigh and wondered when his life had become so complicated. Though, he knew the answer was the moment he arrived in Tokyo-3. “Because! It would hurt your feelings! And what if Rei-chan doesn't want me to kiss her!? I can't just force myself on her!”
 
“Why the hell would it hurt my feelings, dummkopf?! It's not my feelings you should be concerned over anyway, it's yours and hers! Besides, if she doesn't want you to kiss her, she won't let you. Or she'll tell you to never do it again if you do manage to land your lips on hers if she doesn't want it. You're going batshit over this girl. You owe it to yourself to at least give her the choice. Mein Gott! What did you ever do without me?!” Asuka ranted.
 
Shinji blinked. “It wouldn't hurt your feelings?”
 
“What the hell did I say to you just the other day? All I care about is that you're still my friend. That's all I want from either one of you. Anything beyond that is just bonus, as far as I'm concerned.” The German girl rolled her eyes. She liked how passive and submissive the boy could be, but she thought he was taking it too far if he denied himself of his own happiness simply to please others.
 
Shinji was silent for a while then he nodded. “I'll think about it.”
 
“Good. I have some weapons training in my Eva in a little while, so I'll leave you alone. Rei-chan will probably be back soon so maybe you should wait for her.” Asuka suggested. She impulsively kissed the boy on the cheek as she left. “See you later, dummkopf!”
 
Shinji sighed, more confused than ever. He looked around nervously, uncomfortable with being in Rei's home, essentially uninvited. He didn't know whether he should stay or leave. Would it be running away, as he always did, if he left? Or would it be respecting the sanctity of the quiet blue-haired girl's home? He sighed again and walked over to Rei's dresser and looked at the books stacked there. One of the books in particular caught his attention. “The Tale of Genji?” He read the title aloud, surprised the quiet girl was reading a novel with themes of love and lust.
 
He picked the book up and sat down and started to read. He once read a little bit of the classic Japanese novel in school when he was 12, but at the time he wasn't terribly interested in it. He had found the descriptions of court life incredibly dull and considered Genji to be an over-sexed fiend. But now he wondered whether or not his youthful assessment was correct.
 
Before he was even halfway done with the first story, Rei entered her apartment and frowned when she smelled the lingering scent of bacon. “Asuka-chan?” She called, walking into the bedroom area and stopping suddenly when she saw Shinji sitting on her bed and reading one of her books. “Shinji-kun?”
 
Shinji blinked and blushed in embarrassment, feeling as if he had been caught with his hand in the cookie-jar. “Oh! I'm sorry, Rei-chan. I didn't hear you come in.” He sheepishly replaced the book on her dresser and scratched the back of his head nervously. “I came earlier to cook breakfast for you and Asuka-chan. She told me you went to see Akagi-dono for a medical exam… she went into headquarters for training. I didn't know whether I should stay or leave…”
 
Rei blinked a few times. The third child had spoken rather quickly due to his nervousness so she had difficulty following it. She nodded once. “You are welcome in my home any time, Shinji-kun.” She walked back into her entranceway and asked, “Is this miso soup for me?”
 
“Hai.” Shinji replied, still feeling guilty for invading her home and her personal possessions. “Shall I pour it for you?”
 
“Sit.” The first child commanded gently, pulling a bowl out of her cabinet and pouring the soup herself. “Have you already eaten?” She inquired politely.
 
“Yes but I could have some more soup. Ah, I'll get it.” He started to say, getting up nervously.
 
“Sit.” Rei commanded again in the same tone as before, pouring a second bowl to finish the soup off. She brought both bowls in and set them down, one in front of the third child and one for herself. Then she sat down and poured water for them both out of a pitcher that was on the table.
 
“Thank you for cooking breakfast, Shinji-kun.” The girl stated politely as she sipped the warm soup.
 
Shinji blushed. “It was nothing. Oh, I bought some pickles too. I'll go get them.” He started getting up.
 
“Sit.” The first child commanded again, a touch of a smile came to her lips. She was actually amused. She got up and fetched the pickled vegetables herself.
 
Shinji smiled sheepishly after the girl sat back down. He was not accustomed to being served like this, but it felt nice. Very nice. “We should get you a rice-steamer, Rei-chan.”
 
The first child glanced at the opening behind her leading to her foyer and then back at the third child. She remained silent.
 
Shinji blinked. Then he realized what she was thinking. “Not enough room for a rice-steamer. I wasn't thinking. Gomen, Rei-chan.”
 
Amusement touched the blue-haired girl's lips again. She felt… happy? Comfortable? Both, perhaps? “You are accustomed to a larger apartment, Shinji-kun.” She stated simply.
 
“Hai…” The boy sipped some soup, and tried to think of something to say. “Did your exam go well?” He inquired, figuring that if she was unhealthy she wouldn't be going to such pains to serve him. But he still needed to hear the words.
 
Rei paused thoughtfully. “I am healthy.” She replied enigmatically.
 
Shinji was confused why she answered that way, rather than simply saying yes. Then he noticed the bruise on her neck. “Rei-chan? What happened to your neck?”
 
The first child brought her fingers up to her bruised neck self-consciously. “Do not worry yourself over it, Shinji-kun.”
 
That really got him concerned. He stood up and walked around the table and got a closer look, ignoring the blush that crept into the girl's cheeks at his proximity. “It goes all the way around! Like you were… strangled. By a cord or…” Shinji's mind put what happened together. Doctor visit… cord or tube-shaped bruise around her neck. “A stethescope. I'll kill her.” He turned and started stomping towards the door, murder in his eyes.
 
Rei quickly moved in front of the third child and placed a hand gently against his chest to get him to wait. “The matter has been resolved, Shinji-kun. Akagi's life is now her debt to me. Stay.”
 
The third child still felt anger burning in his veins. How anyone could harm the gentle soft-spoken girl was beyond him. “But she hurt you. I have to make her pay…”
 
“Shinji-kun.” The first child spoke softly, as always. But she looked him in the eye, hoping he saw the resolve there. By the uncertainty that crossed his features, she was sure he did. “I handled it. If you harm her, you will make a liar of me. You will bring dishonor upon me. Do you understand?” She hated saying this much, but she had to make her point.
 
Honor was something he did understand. Shinji sighed and nodded. If her word was given, he had to respect it, even if he didn't like it. The third child raised a hand to tenderly brush a thumb over the bruise, concern in his eyes. He saw no discomfort in her face so he reasoned that the pain was gone and the bruise would likely also disappear soon.
 
Rei stayed silent and dropped her arm back to her side slowly, her eyes never leaving Shinji's.
The third child's fingers moved up to gently caress the blue-haired girl's porcelain cheek. He couldn't help himself, now that he was this close. He stared into the girl's red eyes, which seemed to burn like flames, and he was a simple moth being drawn to them. He swallowed nervously, tenderly brushing his fingers over the first child's cheek. She was not pushing him away, or telling him to stop.
 
The first child watched Shinji. She desperately fought the urge to flutter her eyelids when he touched her cheek, afraid that if she broke eye contact that he would retreat. She remembered all the times she heard him chanting to himself that he mustn't run away, and she mentally chanted it with him this time. `Don't run away! Don't run away!'
 
Shinji licked his lips nervously, feeling as if his mouth was drying out. He desperately wanted to just swoop in and kiss the blue-haired beauty, but fear that he would startle her kept him moving slow. His hand moved through the girl's silky blue hair and his eyes dropped to stare at her moist inviting lips. He didn't even notice when the girl's eyelids finally fluttered.
 
If the third child was capable of thought at that moment, he'd be chanting to himself `I mustn't run away! I mustn't run away!' But he wasn't. There were no words. No thoughts. The world stopped. Nothing else existed.
 
Shinji's eyes moved back up to the red orbs before him, seeing nothing but acceptance there. He took a breath, feeling faint because he had forgotten to breathe for… he didn't know how long. Finally he leaned in closer and noticed the first child did not pull away. Instead, she just raised her head slightly since the boy was a little taller than her. After what seemed an eternity, their lips met. Shinji felt like he had died and gone straight to heaven on those soft warm lips. He leaned in more, wrapping his arms around the girl's slender shoulders, kissing her with passion he wasn't even aware he was capable of. It felt like… home.
 
Eventually, he had to break the kiss and look once more into Rei's burning red eyes. He would have liked to kiss her forever, but he had seemingly forgotten how to breathe so he had to stop the kiss so he could remember. He blinked in surprise. “Rei-chan… why do you cry?” Shinji inquired, worry in his voice.
 
Rei blinked and felt a tear slide down her cheek and drip off her chin. “I am…” She paused, attempting to figure out what the emotion was. Finally, she knew the answer. She looked back into the third child's eyes. “I am happy.”
 
Shinji closed his eyes in relief. He was almost positive she would say she was sad and that he shouldn't kiss her again. Which would end his world. He shook his head slightly and gave the girl a gentle smile. “Then smile.”
 
Rei blinked a few times, and then she smiled.
 
 
*************************
 
 
Bwahahahah! Who is the Mistress of Sappiness?! Me!!! Haha. Now I could end the story there… and in a way it would even be complete. However, I have some more of their story to tell! Sure, love stories can end on a first kiss… but to me, that's just when they start getting good. Muahahah!!! So I will continue. Of course, since you all have become so accustomed to these quick updates, I'll have to take a year off or so... just kidding. Haha Next chapter: Shinji feels a little guilty about what he did with Maya so he handles it in the best way he can… by talking to his father! Eep! Actually he has a better reason to talk to ol' Gendo. See Gendo didn't like it when I said he wanted to take a break, he felt that made him sound weak, so he decided to insert himself into this chapter AND the next one. What a ham! Rei will be around, of course. Kaoru will pop up a tad, because he's nosy. Beyond that, we'll see. Until then, may all your first kisses be sappy and joyous! And stuff.