Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Only In Your Eyes Am I Worthy ❯ Two for Tragedy ( Chapter 33 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Evangelion: Only In Your Eyes Am I Worthy
Author's Note: I live again! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *hack, cough*
Required Disclaimer: Still no own. Still no money. Too evil for a conscience. I think I might just have some jelly donuts around here now, however… Enjoy and ponder on the glory of GAINAX! And stuff.
 
Chapter 33: Two for Tragedy
 
 
Maya Ibuki was walking around the NERV facility, stretching her legs and clearing her mind. She had been working on the MAGI systems with Ritsuko Akagi for most of the day and part of the night already and needed a break, both from the work and from just being around the doctor. She just didn't know what to say to the woman now, knowing what horrible things she had done.
 
The captain exited the facility out onto the surface of the GeoFront and smiled sadly as she regarded Kaji's melon garden. “Looks like they could use some water.” She remarked to herself as she glanced around and spotted the spy's watering can. “Hmm… already has water in it. I wonder if he had asked anyone to tend his garden? Katsuragi-san, maybe?”
 
“I do not know, Ibuki-taii.” Came a soft reply behind her.
 
OH! Oh… Rei-chan, you startled me. Were you here visiting the commander?” The computer geek inquired, resting a hand on her chest over her thumping heart.
 
Rei blinked a few times and turned her gaze towards the garden, silently observing the watering process. “I am here on an assignment. Commander Ikari ordered me to take a break and walk around. Apparently the air is not fresh enough in his office.”
 
Maya's eyes narrowed slightly for a few moments in confusion before understanding dawned on her. “Oh… he told you to get some fresh air. I understand. This is a good place for that. Had you ever seen Kaji-san's melon garden before?”
 
“I had not.” The first child replied flatly.
 
The young captain nodded as she set the watering can down, satisfied that the melons at least had enough water to continue living, though she was unsure of how much water was good for them so she didn't want to overdo it. “So how have you been, Rei-chan?” She inquired, giving the young former pilot a friendly smile.
 
“No problems to report, Ibuki-taii.” The blue-haired girl replied automatically.
 
“Rei-chan… I've told you before to call me Maya.” The brunette reminded the girl gently with a pleasant smile on her lips.
 
“Maya-san.” Rei corrected herself. She was silent for several moments as she regarded the older woman and then spoke. “How does one woman become one with another?”
 
Maya blushed as she blinked rapidly in surprise. “Wha… what?”
 
“How does one woman have sexual intercourse with another woman?” The first child elaborated bluntly.
 
The captain's blush darkened as she looked away nervously. “Why… are you asking me?”
 
“You have told me that I could ask you anything. It is my understanding that you have some knowledge of this matter. Who should I ask instead?” The red-eyed angel asked, tilting her head slightly to the side in curiosity.
 
`Does everyoneknow that I'm into girls?!' The young Ibuki wondered as her cheeks did their best to collect every spare drop of blood in her body within them. “Who… did you hear this from?” She asked nervously. `Please don't say Commander Ikari... please don't say Commander Ikari…'
 
“Katsuragi-shousa asked me how you were in bed. Apparently you informed her that we have had sexual intercourse.” Rei deadpanned.
 
`Oh god, that's even worse!!!' Maya thought in horror. “Ah… well… that was… ah… she knew I had slept with one of the pilots and she assumed it was you… and ah… I didn't correct her… I'm so sorry!”
 
The blue-haired girl was silent for a few moments before responding. “I do not mind, Maya-san. I did not correct her on the matter. I assumed you had sufficient reason to inform the major of your sexual desire for me. You still have not answered my question.”
 
“Rei-chan… are you asking me to have sex with you?” The captain asked in surprise, looking up from her hands that she had buried her face in.
 
“I asked how one woman has sexual intercourse with another woman. I understand the mechanics of sexual intercourse between a man and a woman and have experienced this first hand. However, I am unclear how one woman has a satisfactory sexual experience with another woman. Please explain it to me.” The first child requested in what could disturbingly be considered an innocent tone.
 
“Wow… when I told you that you could ask me anything… I always assumed you would ask me about… you know… feminine hygiene or… computer games… or… you know… non-specific sex stuff.” The young Ibuki stated, sitting down to order her thoughts. “Ah… it would help if I knew what sort of experience you have… with another girl, I mean. I assume you're not asking me this without reason.”
 
“I have kissed Soryu-chan numerous times. We caressed each other's breasts once. She has more than once placed her hand on my thigh, I believe with the desire to touch me elsewhere. However, I believe she is also unsure of how to proceed.” Rei informed her a moment after sitting down next to the captain, assuming it was how the older woman wished to converse.
 
“You and Soryu-chan? Wow… I never pegged her for liking girls. But then, I never have been very good at figuring out what girls might possibly like other girls… specifically me.” The computer geek remarked thoughtfully. She noticed the slight irritation that showed up in the young girl's eyes for a moment and realized she was waiting for an answer. “Ah… ok. I suggest you take it slow. Lots of kissing… let your hands explore… watch for signs that she enjoys certain places touched more than other places. Keep your touches gentle and brushing, unless she indicates a desire for more firm touching.”
 
“And this will result in a satisfactory sexual encounter?” The first child asked doubtfully.
 
Maya shrugged. “Ah… no, that's just the start of it. Eventually you're going to want to touch each other… you know… between the legs. I can't believe we're talking about this…”
 
“But how? When I pleasured Shinji-kun in this manner, the process seemed rather simple. But I do not believe this to be the case with Asuka-chan…” Rei remarked, frowning slightly in thought.
 
Captain Ibuki rested her forehead in the palm of her hand and muttered “Oh boy…” She smiled pleasantly at the first child when the girl looked at her. “Ah… well try doing the same things to her that you like to do with yourself. That makes a good starting point… and then you can learn what else she likes and doesn't like as you go along.”
 
The blue-haired girl stared at the captain blankly. “The things I do with myself? I don't understand how reading and playing my viola would lead to a satisfactory sexual experience with Asuka-chan.”
 
`Oh no… don't tell me she's never…' The captain thought nervously. “Ah… I mean when you… pleasure yourself.” At the young pilot's blank stare, she inwardly groaned. “You've… never pleasured yourself, have you?”
 
“It seems more efficient to experience sexual gratification with another. I have never felt the desire to experience this alone.” The red-eyed girl explained.
 
`Don't offer to have sex with her to teach her… don't offer to have sex with her to teach her…' Maya thought to herself nervously. “Ah… I could always show you a few things, if you're ever interested.” `WHAT?!Are you insane, woman?! Are you just a big pervert?!'
 
Rei considered that silently for a few long moments. “Perhaps someday. I am not ready to share this experience with you yet, Maya-san. Is there any other way you can think of to demonstrate techniques to me that do not require us to have a sexual experience at this time?”
 
The captain breathed a sigh of relief that the young pilot wasn't offended by her inappropriate offer. She considered the matter thoughtfully for a few moments. “Ah… well I do have some yuri manga that you might find informative. It's not often very graphic, though. Ah… oh! I have an idea.” The computer geek gently lifted up the first child's hand with her palm downwards and her fingers pressed together but relaxed so they had a downward slope. “I could do this just with my hands but I think it would be more informative this way…”
 
The blue-haired beauty regarded her fingers curiously and then nodded, understanding what her fingers were to represent. “Proceed.”
 
“Ok… see this is how I usually start…” Maya stated, brushing her fingers gently against the other girl's fingers, touching the fingers in various ways and watching the curious expressions playing out on the girl's features as she watched. Eventually one of her fingers moved past the barrier of two of the pilot's fingers and she demonstrated certain stroking techniques that she usually found to be appreciated. “A large part of how quickly you proceed and where you touch, of course, depends on the girl you're with.”
 
Rei nodded. “I see. The fingers have a similar mechanism of action as an invasive penis, only with more finesse. Most intriguing.”
 
`Her pupils are dilating… she's getting aroused by this?' The captain observed. “Well, yes. That's one of the advantages of girls… we have these slender dexterous fingers that can touch these places like so. Your other fingers can play on the outside too… and you can insert more fingers if you like and your lover is ready for it. Another advantage of using your hand in this way is that you can kiss each other… or you can lick and suck on her breasts…”
 
The young Ayanami nodded, biting her bottom lip for a moment as she watched and felt the older woman's ministrations. “And this is how one woman has a sexual encounter with another?”
 
“Basically.” Maya agreed. “You can also use your lips and tongue to pleasure each other there…”
 
“How so? Can you demonstrate that as well?” Rei inquired curiously, arching an eyebrow up slightly.
 
“I… suppose so.” Captain Ibuki said nervously. `Ok… like this wasn't weird enough already. I'm already getting too into this as it is!' She figured there wasn't any polite way to decline that request after everything else she had done, so she knelt down and gently kissed and licked Ayanami's fingers. She looked up at the girl and smugly noted that the girl looked intently interested, probably envisioning how it would feel or at least look against the real thing.
 
“Fascinating. Thank you, Maya-san, that was very informative.” The first child stated, casually withdrawing her hand.
 
The captain blushed and sat back down, self-consciously scratching her elbow. “Ah… ok. Glad to help.” `So much for thinking she was getting into it. I'm a horrible person to have even been thinking about it… or demonstrating those techniques to begin with. She probably thinks I'm a slut…'
 
“I must return to my assignment now. Thank you for your help, Maya-san.” Rei stated, bowing slightly before turning to leave.
 
“Ah… Rei-chan. We should spend another day out soon. Or perhaps in? I have an extra television set that I was planning on giving you… perhaps we could play some video games together.” Maya suggested. `And maybe fool around some… no! Damn it… Stop thinking like that! I really need to get a girlfriend… this is getting ridiculous.'
 
Ayanami raised an eyebrow, silently regarding the captain.
 
`What is she… oh, right.' Captain Ibuki smiled at the girl. “Yes, that's an order.”
 
A hint of a smile formed on the young pilot's lips and she nodded. “Hai.”
 
`Uh… what's she waiting on now?' Maya wondered. “Um… ok then. Take care of yourself, Rei-chan.” The captain blinked several times, noticing the girl hadn't moved. `Does… she want a kiss or something?' She coughed and was about to lean forward to see if a kiss was indeed what the girl wanted, but then she noticed her red eyes shift towards the exit for a moment before moving back to meet the captain's brown eyes. `Oh! Stupid me, she's waiting for permission to leave. Stupid hormones.' “Ah, sorry. Dismissed, pilot Ayanami.”
 
“Hai.” Rei replied, walking back into the NERV facility and headed for the elevator.
 
The captain sighed and took one last look at the garden, taking a few moments to refill the water can for the next time or person who watered the melons and then froze when she noticed the security camera pointed down towards the garden. “Ah… oops. I hope you boys enjoyed the show.” She squeaked out in embarrassment before hurrying back into the facility.
 
The computer geek felt her cheeks burning in embarrassment and frustrated arousal the entire elevator ride down to the command level. Soon enough she was back in the operations room where the blonde doctor was finishing up her work. Whether the woman even realized her assistant had taken a break or not wasn't apparent, but it was unlikely considering how silent they had both been during the process. She sat down and relaxed, letting her mind drift to the quiet blue-haired enigmatic beauty and attempting to keep her mind out of the gutter whilst doing so. That led her mind back to what her mentor had done to the poor girl as well as her clones, which darkened her mood again. Though she did feel attracted to the girl, when she really thought about it, she knew the majority of her feelings for the girl were protective and caring in nature, rather than romantic. It would be one of the brightest moments in her life if the young pilot began to think of her as her senpai.
 
An hour or so later, Dr. Akagi wiped sweat from her brow after standing up from working on the MAGI systems. “That should do it. Run the test hacks on each of the MAGI from the other two.”
 
“Yes, sensei.” Maya replied, professional and cool with the doctor. She ran the test hacking program and stood up to get some coffee while the program was running.
 
“I… can get you some coffee, Maya-chan.” Ritsuko offered, trying a gentle smile in hopes that it would brighten the young captain's mood.
 
“No thanks.” The brunette replied curtly, pouring the drink herself. She then started walking around a little to stretch her legs while keeping her eye on the program running.
 
“Maya-chan… I'm sorry. I can't apologize enough for what I did to you…” The blonde doctor stated, feeling her heart breaking from knowing how much she hurt her young protégé.
 
Maya glared at the older woman. “You don't even understand why I'm angry with you. You think it's because of what you did to me? By what… asking me to help you? Yeah… that hurt, doctor. But it doesn't compare to what you did to Ayanami-chan. You murdered her clones, Akagi-sensei. You tried to murder Ayanami-chan herself! I care about that girl, damn it. I care about her the same way you use to care about me. I could handle your rejection… I could even handle it that you lied to me about Ayanami-chan threatening me. But the Akagi-sensei I fell in love with could not have murdered children. I don't even know who you are anymore.”
 
Ritsuko stared at the angry younger woman in astonishment. “Love? Is that what all that asking me out business was about? I thought you were just showing me pity. You were serious?”
 
Captain Ibuki hissed in frustration. “That's not the point! Yes, I loved you. I probably even wanted to spend the rest of my life with you, you stupid idiot! Even if it was just as your friend. But you are not the woman I loved. Even if you're here now for penance, it doesn't matter. I can't forgive you, doctor. What you did is beyond forgiveness.”
 
Dr. Akagi sighed and lowered her head sadly. “I'm sorry to hear that, Maya-chan.”
 
“Don't call me that anymore. You lost that right the moment you wrapped that cord around Ayanami-chan's neck.” The young captain stated, turning away from the doctor and struggling not to sob as hot tears spilled out of her eyes.
 
Ritsuko nodded and set a disk she had prepared down. “This is everything I could think of that you would need to know to take over my job completely. There're also some suggestions for what to do in case there are any attacks on this base after the last angel is dealt with. I'm not sure why Ayanami seems to think that the MAGI would be involved, but she asked us to make preparations, so we did. Maya-ch… ah… Ibuki-san… I'm sorry. Take care of yourself, please.” She paused at the door and glanced back at her former pupil. “Do you think that… you will ever forgive me?”
 
Captain Ibuki sniffed and turned her head slightly back towards the doctor. “I love you. That won't change.” She stated. A moment after the happy relief started lighting up the doctor's face, however, she continued. “But I no longer have hope for you. I will remember how you use to be fondly. Sayonara, Akagi-san.”
 
Ritsuko lowered her crestfallen eyes, gazing at the floor as heaviness settled back over her heart. “Hai… sayonara, Ibuki-san.” The doctor left and stayed in her office, knowing that soon Rei would come to settle up with her. She was looking forward to that now.
 
Back in the control room, Maya lowered her face into her palms and sobbed, not even caring if either of the commanders were up in the observation deck or that someone might come in.
 
 
*************************
 
 
Vice-Commander Fuyutsuki took a few moments to yawn, stretch and scratch himself in various places before he stepped out of his office, where he had slept on his couch all night. Lately, he tended to sleep there more often than his bed at home, but he didn't complain. Before he stepped out of his office, he looked into the mirror and took the time to straighten his appearance, losing all evidence that he had been asleep at all. The half-asleep slightly grumpy professor was replaced with the cool, calm and collected Vice-Commander before he opened his door.
 
KÅzÅ frowned as he noticed the young Ayanami staring down at various maps and readouts, the same thing she had been doing when he went to sleep late the previous night. “Ayanami-chan… you didn't stay up all night, did you?”
 
Rei looked up and the barest hint of a smile played out on her lips before the expression dropped to her normal neutrality. “No sir. I awoke an hour ago.”
 
Had she been anyone else, the professor would have assumed she was lying, that she had indeed been up all night and was simply trying to prevent him from worrying. But this was Ayanami and he knew she did not lie. And even if she had started, she wouldn't lie about something as simple as that. “Ikari-kun and Soryu-chan should be here soon.” He stated to remind her, in case she had forgotten. It wasn't likely that she would forget that they were coming, it was simply more likely that she wouldn't realize that time was already approaching.
 
“Yes sir.” The red-eyed girl agreed, not even looking up from the papers.
 
“Ayanami-chan, take a break. An important part of learning is rest.” The Vice-Commander stated with a slight smile on his lips. While he was still teaching, he loved students like her… ones that were focused and loved the learning and thinking, it was them that he usually had to remind to rest and take it easy. His other students, however, had the opposite problem.
 
“Yes sir.” Rei replied, sitting back further in her seat and lifting her gaze up to the former professor.
 
Fuyutsuki smiled gently at her and poured a cup of tea for her. “So tell me, Ayanami-chan… how are things with Ikari-kun and Soryu-chan?”
 
A slight smile came to the girl's lips as she thought of the two people dearest to her heart. “No problems to report.”
 
KÅzÅ nodded. He knew the first child well enough to know that the words she said meant little, but the light in her eyes, the shifts in her body language and the touch of a smile on her lips meant she had never been happier. “I hear you've been playing some games with them? Some ah… what do you call them…” The professor wiggled his fingers in an approximation of holding a video game controller.
 
“Yes sir. Shinji-kun was playing this game a few days ago that was fascin-” The first child spoke with a smile on her lips as her eyes lit up as she related the fun experience. But then the door opened and Gendo Ikari walked in.
 
Rei's brief joyful expression dropped into its normal serious one as the commander was speaking as he walked into the door. “Ikari-kun and Soryu-chan have just entered the facility. Let's go meet them at the elevator.”
 
The professor sighed and shook his head slightly as he fell into step behind the commander and the first child. `Gendo, you would have given your right foot to see Rei-chan opening up like that. Too bad you missed it.'
 
“How are you coming on memorizing that material, Rei?” Gendo inquired without looking down at the quiet girl.
 
“I am making sufficient progress, sir.” The former pilot replied.
 
“I see. That's fine.” Commander Ikari replied simply, falling into silence afterwards.
 
The blue-haired girl turned her head slightly to look at the man walking beside her for a few moments but then fixed her gaze ahead, her disappointment masked behind her stoic expression.
 
After they entered the elevator and took it up to the highest level, it opened up to Shinji and Asuka. They both blinked in surprise at seeing the people they were to meet waiting for them and the third child scratched the back of his head nervously. “Ah… good morning.” He greeted, vainly hoping that his pleasantries would be returned.
 
“Get in, we don't have all day, Shinji.” Gendo stated gruffly.
 
“Oh! Sorry.” The blue-eyed boy blushed and stepped into the elevator, followed a moment later by the German spitfire.
 
“We're not going to the cafeteria?” Asuka inquired, noticing that one of the lower levels was selected instead by the grim commander. `Scheiße, they said breakfast so we didn't eat before coming over here. I'm so hungry, I could eat a whole pig by myself!' The second child thought. She cast a furtive glance towards the young Ikari, but then her eyes drifted down towards the ground.
 
“We have a private recreation room, we often eat there instead of the cafeteria.” The vice-commander replied since the elder Ikari remained silent.
 
Rei frowned slightly as she noticed the body language of her fellow pilots and fixed her steady gaze on the second child. Something seemed… wrong, but she couldn't quite place it. “Asuka-chan… are you feeling well this morning?” She finally inquired.
 
Nearly everyone in the elevator turned a surprised eye towards the first child. The blue-eyed girl, however, simply shrugged and stared at the ground. “I'm ok.” She replied softly.
 
The former pilot of Unit 00 turned her gaze onto Shinji, a touch of a frown fixed on her lips. Only those that knew Rei the best could see the anger in the girl's eyes. She kept silent until they reached after the elevator opened up and they exited it. “We shall join you in a few minutes. I wish to speak to Ikari-kun.” Rei stated softly. She walked towards one of the storage rooms where they could have some privacy.
 
Shinji blinked in surprise and cowered slightly under the stern glare of his father and followed the girl as quickly as he could.
 
“Gee, thanks a lot. Leave me with these scary old men.” Asuka griped softly.
 
“What was that, Pilot Soryu?” Professor Fuyutsuki inquired, even though he heard what she said.
 
“Ah… I said I wonder what's for breakfast…” The second child smiled brightly, hiding her nervousness well.
 
Gendo frowned towards the supply room for a few moments, but then turned to enter the recreation room, followed a moment later by the vice-commander.
 
“Scaaaaary.” Asuka muttered as she followed them.
 
“Should we be concerned, old friend?” KÅzÅ inquired discretely while the second child was busy investigating the room.
 
“No. She won't hurt him. He may wish she had, however.” Commander Ikari replied, sitting down a moment later to bridge his fingers and glare at the petite German girl who was tapping on an aquarium containing some fish.
 
Meanwhile, in the storage room, Shinji smiled at Rei and stepped closer to her, stretching his arms out, intending to hug her. The quiet first child took a step back and frowned in disapproval. “Rei-chan? Is something… wrong?” The boy asked. He was almost sure she had wanted at least a hug and a kiss. A small part of him had also been holding out hope that she wanted a quickie before breakfast. Those hopes were now dashed.
 
“Ikari-san… Asuka-chan looked… upset. Explain.” Rei demanded, though her voice barely rose above its normal quiet whisper.
 
The third child coughed and glanced away. “Ah… well, she's angry with me.”
 
“Why?” The red-eyed girl inquired. She already knew that much. She could tell that a shroud of sadness and anger was hanging over the other girl's heart, but she couldn't understand why. However, it was obvious that Shinji was the cause of it.
 
The young Ikari blushed and scuffed his foot against the ground nervously. “Ah… well… that's ah…” He coughed and stared at the ground, however his girlfriend remained silent, waiting for his reply. “She… wanted to have… sex. With me.”
 
Rei waited for over a minute, but it became obvious that it was all he was going to say without prompting. “So?” She finally said.
 
Shinji sighed and averted his gaze from hers, feeling shamed but he wasn't sure why. “I said no and she took it badly.”
 
“I don't understand.” The first child stated. She knew that some time after she left that they had done something… the happiness she and Kaoru had both felt from the girl confirmed that. But now it was as if all the hope had been drained out of the red-haired beauty. “Why did you reject her?”
 
The young Ikari shifted his eyes up to look at his beloved. He still couldn't understand why the girl seemed to want him to have sex with another girl. In fact, she almost seemed to be insisting on it. He wondered just what kind of fucked up morals his father had taught the girl, where she not only would consider such a thing to be normal, but desired. “Rei-chan… boyfriends aren't supposed to cheat on their girlfriends. You're only supposed to have sex with your lover, not just any girl that comes along.”
 
The blue-haired beauty glanced in the general direction of the second child. “Asuka-chan is not just any girl. She is in my heart, and she is in your heart as well. You don't even realize what you have done by rejecting her. Can you not feel the grief choking her heart? Are you blind to her pain? What kind of man are you, Ikari?”
 
“A loyal one, damn it!” Shinji cried. He was tired of being treated like the bad guy for doing the right thing. “You think I don't want to have sex with her? You think that I don't care about her very deeply? That I don't see the heartache I'm causing her by turning her down? It's breaking my heart too, but when a man commits to a girl he loves, he stands by that commitment! You say you know what's in my heart? You're not acting like it. It hurts me just as much as it does Asuka-chan when I have to tell her no, but I'll keep telling her no because you're the one I want. You're the one I chose and I don't care if you think it's ok for me to sleep around, because I don't. And I won't do it.”
 
“Then perhaps you should not have led her to believe you would be one with her, Ikari. Though I do not understand your feelings on this matter, I can respect them as I respect you. But you broke her heart, and I cannot…” Rei stopped talking suddenly, closing her eyes for a moment as the anger receded from her psyche. A moment later she opened her eyes and saw the hurt on her lover's face. “Forgive me, it is not your fault. You did what you thought was right. I hope… you will not regret your choice.” The girl bowed low for a few moments and then walked out without waiting for a reply.
 
The third child was baffled. It was the first time he had ever seen Rei angry since months before when he criticized his father and he felt ashamed to have disappointed her. But then she suddenly apologized and bowed… it left him wondering if there was something going on that he didn't know about. He realized she was still angry with him, but that she had apologized because society expected her to… the whole situation was giving him an ulcer.
 
After Shinji and Rei rejoined the others, they sat down to eat, with the commander's personal chef coming in to find out what everyone wanted to eat. Asuka leaned over and whispered into the first child's ear. “You guys don't look too happy to have just come back from a quickie…”
 
The red-eyed girl blinked in surprise and turned to regard the other girl. “We had words.” She explained simply.
 
The second child nodded and looked away, feeling a little guilty. `Damn it… I didn't want to come between them, but I get the feeling I have anyway.'
 
Vice-commander Fuyutsuki frowned as he regarded the children, whom all looked as if their beloved pet dog had died. He leaned over to speak softly into Gendo's ear so he wasn't overheard. “I was under the impression that they were all happier lately.”
 
For the first time that morning, Commander Ikari actually looked around at the young pilots and a frown crossed his face as he saw the distant and sad expressions on their faces. “This was not in our scenario.” He grumbled.
 
“How has your schooling been?” The professor asked the children in an attempt to start a conversation.
 
“The school closed when all the civilians evacuated, Vice-Commander.” Shinji replied distantly, fiddling with a piece of negi (Welsh onion) floating around in his miso soup with his chopsticks.
 
“Oh… I see. That's too bad. You all must be growing quite restless. Perhaps we should add more testing to the schedule so you don't get bored.” Vice-commander Fuyutsuki suggested.
 
Shinji and Asuka both snapped to attention, realizing they were in danger of having to spend more time sitting in LCL and getting their brains exhausted from the harmonics testing. “Ah, well that is… ah…” The third child began to try to protest.
 
“Excellent idea. You will both come every other day for harmonics testing.” Commander Ikari announced.
 
“Oh… ah… yes sir.” The blue-eyed boy stated sadly. “Ow! Ah… cramp. Sorry.” He glared at Asuka who stuck her tongue out at him for getting them more experimentation time.
 
“And how has your therapy been, Pilot Soryu?” KÅzÅ inquired, fixing his gaze on the second child.
 
Asuka's eyes widened as she realized she was now the center of attention. “Ah… well. I'm doing very well, sir.”
 
“Good, then you should be able to handle more responsibilities. Come up with a few possible angel scenarios as well as strategies to combat those threats. I'll be interested in your report.” The professor stated with a friendly smile.
 
“Oh… yes sir.” The red-haired girl replied as if she had just signed over her first born child.
 
Everyone fell into silence again. Gendo and KÅzÅ shared a look and then the elder Ikari spoke up again. “Perhaps you can both handle harmonics testing every day… and weapons training every other day.”
 
The still-active pilots mouthed dropped open in shock as they contemplated that. “Wh… what?” Shinji finally managed to get out.
 
They all stared silently at each other, except for Rei, whom was still chewing on rice as if nothing were happening.
 
The commanders shared another look after the pilots faces dropped back down to their food, looking even more crestfallen than before. “Come to think of it, I think they could handle weapons training every day, as well as the harmonics training. It's not like they have anything else to occupy their time.” Fuyutsuki stated.
 
Asuka jumped up to her feet in outrage and immediately looked mortified as everyone's eyes were on her. “Ah… um… sorry. I need to… use the bathroom.” She hurried out before she said something she knew she would regret.
 
The third child looked even more stunned than the others, watching the girl leave as if he felt she was running out of his life for good. “Asuka-chan…” He murmured, feeling sad though he wasn't sure why.
 
“I will return shortly.” Rei stated suddenly, standing up and moving quickly to follow the second child.
 
Shinji swallowed nervously and seemed to shrink in his chair under the disapproving glare of his father.
 
The second child rested her palms against the cold metal inside the same storage room that Shinji and Rei had talked in a short time before. Her eyes were squeezed shut as she tried to prevent the tears from falling from her eyes. A few moments later she picked up a chair and threw it into a wall, letting out a primal scream. She grabbed up another chair and smashed it through a cheap cardboard table, once used to hold refreshments for the scientists working on Project E. “Stupid bitch! Fucking brainless whore!” She screamed, unable to stop from crying now.
 
“Have I done something to offend you… Asuka-chan?” Rei's soft voice broke through the sobs of the second child.
 
“Ah!” The German girl jumped up in surprise, clutching her chest as she faced the quiet first child. “Rei-chan… no. Of course not.” She sighed and stiffly wiped at her eyes, cursing herself for losing control again.
 
“It is not I that am the stupid bitch?” The blue-haired girl inquired, slowly approaching her fellow pilot.
 
Asuka snorted and shook her head. “No, silly. I'm the stupid bitch.”
 
The red-eyed girl frowned slightly and gently brushed some tear-stained hair away from the other girl's sparkling royal blue eyes. “Why?” She inquired in her trademark soft whisper.
 
“I thought… that I could be happy… with what little affection you and Shinji-kun showed me. The occasional hug and kiss… but it's not enough.” The German girl replied.
 
“I don't understand. Were you not… one with Ikari? I felt a moment of joy… that was not from your heart?” Rei inquired carefully.
 
The second child blinked in surprise, trying to figure out what the girl knew and how she knew it. “Ah… he did a little something to me. He… pleasured me with his mouth. But he refused to actually `be one' with me, as you say. Even though he almost did it several times… he said to do so would make him dirty.”
 
Anger flashed in the girl's red eyes and she turned her gaze in the general direction of the young Ikari. “He said that?” She asked.
 
“Well… kind of. He backpedaled and claimed it was he that was the dirty one, but it still boiled down to the fact that he wouldn't have sex with me. Maybe it is for the best… I don't want to cause problems between you two. If he wants to move in with you… I'll stay behind in Misato-san's. I will… re-learn to sleep alone. It's not your concern.” The red-haired spitfire offered in a rare moment of complete selflessness.
 
The first child turned her gaze back to the other pilot and brushed her fingers through the girl's long red hair. “Asuka-chan… if he is unwilling to be one with you, then it is his loss. I would be honored to be one with…” The girl stopped talking suddenly and her gaze whipped around to stare in the general direction of the Eva cages. “No! Not yet!” She whispered. But it was too late. The Angel-Alert klaxon blared to life. “Damn… Asuka-chan. Be strong. I am with you.” Rei leaned forward and pressed her lips firmly against the second child's for a few moments and then pulled away. “Be strong.” She repeated before moving quickly out to where the men were making haste towards the elevators. “Commander! A moment, please, sir.”
 
Gendo stopped where he was and motioned for the pilots to go on ahead. “Soryu, launch immediately. Shinji, board Unit 01 and stand by.” He ordered before the pilots took the elevator down to the Eva cages. “What is it, Rei?”
 
“Go ahead and start the cryo-unlock procedures on Unit 01. Trust me on this, please, commander.” The first child requested as politely as she could.
 
“Rei, don't be a child. Your boyfriend's Eva will remain in cryo-lockdown unless Asuka's Eva is defeated. We can't risk…” The commander started scolding the girl.
 
“Commander, I have never asked you for anything before. I am asking you for this. Please.” Rei begged in her normal soft voice, urgency in her eyes.
 
Commander Ikari was definitely surprised. Even if it was a childish wish for her boyfriend to be the hero, it was still unusual for the girl. “If Unit 01 berserks, pray that we can recover it with minimal damage, Rei.” With that he and Fuyutsuki moved quickly down the passage leading to the observation deck.
 
Rei sighed and headed in the opposite direction, to the elevator leading to Central Dogma. It was time for her to wait by Lilith.
 
 
*************************
 
 
Kaoru Nagisa made his way silently through the corridors of NERV. It had been easy enough to avoid the security agents assigned to watch him, for he could feel their hearts with his own. He glanced towards the higher levels of the facility, sensing the conflicted emotions of all three of the other Eva pilots, however, their troubles were no longer his concern. He had fulfilled his promise to himself to allow Shinji and Rei to find their happiness, and he had even conceded to allow Asuka the time for her own, a promise that was quickly fulfilled. Now all that was left was his destiny.
 
He started entering the chamber where he could sense Unit 00 being housed when he heard his sister's thoughts in his head. “No! Not yet!” He had already stepped through the threshold, however, and the Angel-Alert klaxon started blaring.
 
“Strange… did they set a trap for me?” Tabris wondered aloud, gazing up at Unit 00. However, it was not Unit 00. “What? Little sister… did you lie to me? Or perhaps you were the one who was lied to.” He scowled up at the simulation Eva before him, containing the sole surviving Rei Dummy Plug. “Hmph… this complicates matters.”
 
Alone, the angel floated towards the bulkheads leading to Terminal Dogma, forcing them open with his powers. “The Lilim's capacity for deception knows no bounds.” The silver-haired boy remarked, forcing the bulkheads to open up one after another. His gaze moved up when he heard a primal scream above him. “Shinji-kun? No… Soryu-san. Even better.”
 
“I knew there was something wrong with you, you silver-haired freak!” Asuka screamed, approaching the angel quickly as she drew her prog-knife.
 
Tabris's eyes narrowed in confusion. “Strange… what is this shroud of sorrow still choking your heart, Soryu-san?” He inquired, ignoring the knife as it made contact with his AT field. “Ah… Shinji-kun rejected you. A pity. Forgive me, Soryu-san. Blame Shinji-kun for your weakness, if you like.”
 
“Why won't you die?!” The second child screamed as she brought the knife down again and again, only to be deflected by the strong AT field surrounding the boy-angel. “Was… was ist das!? (What… what is that!?)” The girl demanded, seeing a glowing energy surrounding the fifth child. A moment later, it lanced out and made contact with her. “AAAAAHHHH!!!! NO!!!!! NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!!” She screamed, digging her fingers into her head as she thrashed around inside her plug.
 
“Asuka! What's happening?!” The panicked voice of Shinji came through the comm. window.
 
“Get out of my head, you stupid Hurensohn (son of a bitch/whore)!” The German girl screamed in agony.
 
“Unit 01, launch immediately!” The voice of Major Katsuragi could be heard, but then the voices simply seemed to fade away.
 
 
*************************
 
 
Asuka blinked and sat up, finding herself in a hospital room. “Huh? What happened?” She inquired, blinking even more to clear her eyes as she saw Shinji standing beside her, looking worried and nervous.
 
“Are you ok, Asuka-chan? Kaoru did a pretty good number on you before you killed him. We were worried that… you'd never wake up.” The third child admitted shyly, glancing away from the girl as shame at his own inability to save her was apparent.
 
“I… feel fine. What happened? The last thing I remember was that Oberarsch (supreme idiot/super ass) fucking with my head. Then… waking up here.” The blue-eyed girl stated.
 
“You were thrashing around… right before I reached you in Unit 01, you punched Kaoru… uh… I mean the angel… dead on. Squashed him like a bug. Then you went unconscious. We were afraid the mental contamination was too much… especially after… last time.” The young Ikari stated, staring at the floor.
 
A smile crossed the German pilot's lips as she contemplated that. “See? I told you I was the best pilot, stupid.”
 
Shinji smiled and hesitantly reached out to brush his fingers over the girl's smooth cheek. “Yeah… I know. Asuka-chan… when I thought I lost you… I realized how stupid I've been. When you're feeling better… I'd like it if… ah… you'd give me another chance… to make it up to you.”
 
The red-haired beauty stared up at the boy, surprise on her features. Then a sly grin formed on her lips. “Are you saying you wanna fuck me, Shinji-kun? And Rei-chan is still ok with that?”
 
The third child blushed and looked away. “Ah… well… when you're feeling better… I want to be with you… yes. If you still want to… if you don't, I understand. I've been an idiot…”
 
Asuka smiled brightly and kissed the blue-eyed boy with a burning passion. “Screw waiting… close the fucking door and get naked!”
 
The young Ikari grinned like a fool and kicked the door closed as he starting pulling off his clothing. “You're sure? You want to be one with me? I need you to open yourself up to me…”
 
The second child blinked a few times in confusion. “What?”
 
“I can't just… do it so suddenly, Asuka-chan… at least not without knowing for sure it's what you want. If you want me… I need you to open your heart to me. Let me love you…” Shinji stated with a warm, angelic smile as he gently brushed his lips against the blue-eyed girl's.
 
“Shinji-kun… Shin-chan… I… love you, you know. You stupid boy… Do you know how long I've been waiting to hear you tell me that?” Asuka asked, pulling the boy close and crying tears of joy as she kissed the third child.
 
“Thank you, Asuka-chan. That was all I needed.” The boy pressed himself against the girl for a few moments and it almost seemed like they became one person. The world dissolved into nothingness around them as they kissed.
 
 
*************************
 
 
Asuka's screams of pain suddenly changed into a feral growl. As Unit 01 approached, her Eva turned and started tackling the purple Eva. “Raaawl!!!” She cried, attempting to stab the other Eva with her prog-knife.
 
Shinji brought up his hands just in time to catch the other Eva's wrists, fighting desperately to keep himself from being stabbed. “What the hell?! Asuka! Why are you attacking me?!”
 
“Shinji-kun! The angel has contaminated her mind! She's not in control of herself! You're going to have to neutralize Unit 02 so that you can destroy that angel!” Major Katsuragi barked out.
 
“But… I can't! Asuka is in there! It's not her fault that she's attacking me!” The boy cried, desperately struggling with the other Eva. He screamed in agony when the blade bit into his Eva's shoulder for a moment, sending out sparks that flew everywhere before he was able to pry the knife back out. They kept passing bulkhead layers, approaching Terminal Dogma every second.
 
“Shinji! You must neutralize Unit 02!” Gendo commanded coldly.
 
“No! Can't you eject her plug!?” The young Ikari cried, struggling with all his might against the feral might of Eva Unit 02.
 
“Negative! The Eva is rejecting the ejection signal!” Maya's voice was heard to report.
 
“Damn it… what do I do now!?” Shinji cried, screaming in pain a moment later when the knife once again bit into his shoulder.
 
“Shinji! Don't let your failure to act cost Asuka her life as it did Suzahara's!” Misato cried. “You can neutralize Unit 02 without killing Asuka, if you act now!” She made sure to mention that before the commander could make any comment about the expendability of the German pilot.
 
The third child's eyes widened as he realized she was right. “Asuka-chan… forgive me. Don't die… please don't die.” He drew his prog-knife, ignoring the throbbing pain in his shoulder from the knife still embedded in his Eva, and stabbing into the chest cavity of Unit 02, desperately hoping he had avoided the Entry Plug but damaged the power supply. A moment later they fell through the last barrier into Terminal Dogma itself, falling down into the Sea of LCL.
 
The boy screamed in pain as the shock traveled through his system. He stared up in horror as Unit 02 jumped up and latched onto his Eva's neck with its hands, squeezing the life out of him. His ears were bombarded by the animalistic cry of Asuka as he was strangled. “Damn it! Asuka! Wake up!!!” He cried. He glanced over and watched in horror as Kaoru floated closer to (as he believed) Adam. Growing desperate, he pulled Asuka's prog-knife out of his shoulder and stabbed it through the neck of Unit 02, causing it to fall limply to the side in a shower of LCL. He gasped for breath for a few moments and then scrambled to his feet and chased after Kaoru. “KAORU!!!” He screamed.
 
Tabris almost made it to Lilith when he felt Unit 01's fist close over his body. “Ah… Shinji-kun. Once again, you've bested me.”
 
“You son of a bitch! If Asuka is hurt, I'll chase you into hell and kill you again!” Shinji cried in fury. “Why did you do this?! You're human… you're an angel too? I don't understand! And why did you do that to Asuka!? I thought you were my friend!
 
Kaoru smiled pleasantly up at the enraged third child. He already felt his AT field being neutralized by Rei, so he knew he couldn't withstand it when the Eva's hand closed. “It was my destiny to die here by your hand. As it has been before, so it is now. I can't seem to escape that fate, no matter what I try.”
 
“Stop talking nonsense and tell me why you did that to Asuka?!” The young Ikari demanded, squeezing down just enough to make his grip uncomfortably tight for the angel.
 
Kaoru glanced up and smiled at Rei. “Take good care of Shinji-kun for me, little sister. I'm… sorry about Asuka.” He told her in his thoughts.
 
You are a fool, Tabris. You are the angel of free will… and yet you never exercised that free will for yourself. I gave you three chances and you made the same choice every time. But this time you hurt Asuka-chan… consider yourself lucky that I am not remaking the world again this time, or I would kill you myself when the new Day dawned.” Rei's thoughts drifted down into the angel's mind.
 
Kaoru's eyes widened at that revelation. “Shinji… and Asuka weren't the only ones whose regrets you attempted to address, where they. Tell me, little sister… what were my regrets?
 
Both times they were the same. That you made the wrong choice.” The first child replied in thought. “Goodbye, Tabris.
 
Kaoru's eyes drifted shut for a few moments and then he looked back up at Shinji, whom was still waiting for an explanation. “It was the only choice I had left. Unit 02 would not allow me to dominate her, so I had to dominate Soryu-san instead. Had you shown her the love she craved… it would not have been possible. I'm sorry, Shinji-kun. Once again, I've made the wrong choice. Goodbye.”
 
Shinji's eyes widened in horror. `I… knew. Somehow, I knew. Asuka-chan's sense of foreboding… Rei-chan's prompting to share my love with Asuka… it's my fault. It's all my fault!' The boy realized. “NOOO!!!!” He screamed, clenching his fist closed and crushing Kaoru Nagisa.
 
“The interference is gone! Shinji-kun! Are you still there?! Is everything all right?!” Maya's frantic voice inquired, followed a moment later with the same question by Misato.
 
The blue-eyed boy stared down at his hands in shock, unable to even form a thought.
 
 
*************************
 
 
Sorry for the long wait. I hope it was worth it. Next chapter: The final days before Third Impact… everyone deals with the choices they've made and their consequences. It'll be a barrel of fun! For you… not for the characters. Muahahaha!!!!