Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ So Happy Together ❯ chapter 4 ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
So Happy Together




Shinji and Rei didn't speak for a while after her confession. The silence was making Shinji uncomfortable.

"I always knew you were an angel." He said warmly.

She looked at him with a shocked expression.

He smiled. "Not that kind of angel. The ones in pictures... you know.. feathery wings.. harp and the halo..."

She smiled and said softly. "There are no angels that fit that description, Ikari-kun."

He laughed. "If there were, I'm sure they'd look like you." <oh my gawd I'm flirting!>

She looked at the city. "Only if the commander had anything to do with it."

Shinji stopped laughing. "Rei."

"Hmm?"

"What happened to my mother? My EVA doesn't work anymore, so what happened to her?"

"I... I do not know... this is your world, Ikari-kun."

Those simple words distressed Shinji. <my world... did I not desire her to come back?> He pushed that thought out of his head. And decided to think about something else. A more immediate problem. He took a deep breath, filled his cheek with air, and blew it out loudly. "Rei."

She didn't answer.

But he knew he had her attention. "May I stay with you?"

"You are with me, Ikari-kun."

<ok.. that didn't come out right.... how can I ask this...> "What I mean... is... can I live with you?"

She whipped her head in his direction. One of her brows were arched and her top lip was kind of curled up. Her facial expression screamed WHAT?!!

The third child was taken back by her non verbal response. He couldn't help smiling at her. It was just so rare to see her have natural human reactions. It just pleased him that she had them.

"What are you smiling at, Ikari-kun?"

"You."

She didn't look amused but her voice stayed calm. "Why?"

"... I've never seen you so expressive."

She didn't answer.

He bowed his head. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be... I assume it is because I... feel comfortable around you."

A huge grin smeared across his face.

"Are you afraid to go back to Katsuragi-san's apartment?" She asked softly.

That wasn't the reason he wanted to stay with her, but now that he thought about it... "Yes."

She didn't respond for about eight minutes. Then she stood up abruptly. He looked expectantly at her and watched her start walking down the hill.

"Ayanami?"

She didn't turn around but she answered him. "If you are to live in my quarters, we should take this opportunity to remove your possessions from Katsuragi-san's apartment."

Shinji smiled a cheesy smile and ran to catch up with her.

*****************************************

It took about an hour to walk to the major's apartment. To say they were tired was an understatement. It was an extremely warm day and the shoes they both had on were not made for long walks up and down a mountain sized hills and the concrete jungle of Tokyo-3.

When Shinji got into the apartment he quickly took off his shoes, went into the living room and plopped himself on the couch.

"Whew... I'm tired!"

Rei had followed him. She had took of her shoes as well, but she stood in front of him and started at him with her trade mask of indifference.

"Uh.. would you like to sit down and rest, Ayanami?"

"No. I would like for you to start packing. Time is of the essence." Though her words were sharp, her tone was soft and gentle. "Unless you want to be here when Souyru gets home."

No more needed to be said. Shinji jumped up and ran to his bedroom. When he got there and took a good look around he felt overwhelmed. He never noticed it before but over the years he had acquired a lot of stuff. He looked over at Rei, he could tell that she felt the same way.

"We will pack what is essential first." She said in a soft authoritative tone.

"Hai." Shinji walked to his closet and took out all of his clothes. Besides two other uniforms a couple of pairs of pants and an about a dozen shirts there were no other clothes. He laid them on his bed. Rei went to the drawers and took out his socks, undershirt, and other personals ^.^ When Shinji turned around and saw what she had in her hands, he turned beet red.

"That's ok Rei, I can get those."

He packed everything in his suit case. It was now time to pack everything else.

"Do you have any boxes Ikari-kun?"

He shook his head no and sighed dejectedly. "I wasn't planning on moving. How are we going to get all my stuff to your apartment?"

Her apartment was a least a thirty minute walk (one way) from his. And taking everything by hand was... out of the question. "I guess I'll only take what I really need and forget about the rest."

"Why would you forget about the rest? You can always come back for it another day."

He gave Rei a sadden expression and shook his head. "Once Asuka finds out that I've moved out... she'll probably destroy the rest of my stuff to hurt me."

Rei narrowed her eyes. Just the thought of Asuka doing that made her... angry. "Do you have any garbage bags?"

"Hmm ...uh yeah but what for?

"To carry your stuff. We can put everything in bags"

Excitedly he bounced on the balls of his feet "Rei, you're a genius!" and ran toward the kitchen to retrieve the bags.

"I know." She said it without arrogance. She was just reiterating a proven fact. She *was* a genius and she had the test to prove it.

Shinji came back a few seconds later with a box of garbage bags. "Shall we start?"

They both took a bag out and commenced in the packing. Rei was quick and efficient when she packed. She had a system: she put all paper items books, magazines, notebooks, posters, etc.., in one bag. She put knick-knacks and miscellaneous items in another bag. Shinji however was slow and had no method to his madness. He just put everything together and made his bag way too heavy. It wasn't long (about two hours) before they had everything.

"Wow! We made good time dontcha think!"

Rei didn't agree. They had four moderately heavy bags and one very heavy bag to carry to her apartment. His stereo, cello and tv/vcr to bring over. It would take them at least 3 trips to get all of his stuff to her apartment and each trip would take them approximately 1hr and 8 min (both ways). That is, if they do not stop to rest. And it was almost 12pm. In Rei's opinion, they were not making good time. She walked over and sat on his bed.

Shinji noticed her and went to sit beside her. "Need a rest?"

She shook her head no.

"Then what's up?"

"We do not have enough time."

"Sure we do, It's only .." He looked over to his alarm clock only to remember that he packed it. "I'm sure its not even twelve yet."

She shook her head.

He started to get worried. Worried that she changed her mind about him staying with her. "So what are you saying, Ayanami?"

She looked at him. She saw fear in his eyes. "Do you have any money?"

"Huh?"

"I think it would be more practical if we transported your items by taxi than making the three or more needed trips by foot"

The third pilot sighed out in relief and nodded. "I think I have enough money for that."

<thank god> She didn't outwardly respond.

"I'll be right back." Shinji got up off the bed and walked out his bedroom door and called back a few minutes later "I just called us a cab! It should be here in ten minutes! Would you like something to eat or drink while we wait?"

She thought about it then answered "No. We should bring your items downstairs. It will take that allotted time to get everything out of the apartment."

In the kitchen, Shinji was about to open a can of soda. He inwardly groaned because he knew she was right. He put the can back in the fridge and walked back to his bedroom. When he got there Rei had a bag in each of her hands. They hovered about an inch off the ground.

"Are you sure that's not too heavy, Ayanami?"

<Yes it's too heavy!! Who do I look like? She-Ra?!!> She didn't outwardly respond.

He forked his brow sympathetically. "If you want, I can bring everything downstairs and you can just watch over it and make sure no one steals any of it."

<sounds like a plan to me> She gave him an expressionless face and asked "Are you sure?"

"I'm positive." He took the bag from her and followed her out of the apartment.

While Rei stood guard, Shinji made the necessary trips up and down the apartment. He thanked god that this building had an elevator. He was also thankful that Rei thought to take a taxi. He was already tired from this short trips to the sidewalk. This was his last trip. He had already brought everything down. He was now just walking around the apartment looking for any personal items he may have missed. He retrieved some cd's, his music stand for his cello, and the sign to his bedroom that said Shinji lovely suite. That item brought a warm smile to his lips. He was really going to miss Misato. Because of her, he finally felt like he had a home somewhere. He hadn't felt like that since his mom died.

So she wouldn't be worried, he decided to leave her a note.

Misato,

I'm sorry for not telling you of my plans before I left. But in all honesty, I did not know of them until right before I implemented the act.... Sorry.. I don' t mean to sound so technical..... I'm just saying I'm moving out because I think it would be easier for everyone. Asuka and I had a falling out, and I think it would be easier as well as safer *for me* if I left. Don't worry, I'm staying with a friend.

Thank you for all your kindness over the years.

Shinji

Shinji folded the letter around his apartment key card and went to the fridge and hid the letter in between the space of Misato's six pack. He knew that by putting it there she would find it and not Asuka.

"Good-bye." He whispered to himself and to the ghosts of all his memories there, as he took one last look at the apartment and closed the door.

**********************************

When the two pilots finally got all of Shinji's stuff into the apartment, Shinji plopped himself on Rei's bed and laid back.

"Man I'm tired!" He informed in an exhausted sigh as he stretched his arms spread eagle over her bed.

Rei just stood by the door. A strange feeling was consuming her insides. She looked at all of his stuff. He had *way* more stuff than she had, and he still hadn't unpacked. When she agreed, she thought that she had thought this through... But now she wasn't so sure. She thought that he had about the same amount of stuff as she had... She thought...... She shook her head. It didn't even look like *her* apartment anymore. She stared at him lying comfortably on *her* bed like it was his own.

<what is this feeling I'm experiencing? it's... overwhelming> Rei felt... invaded. All her personal space was *gone*. She never realized how small her apartment was until just now. As she tried to understand this *feeling*, she did something that she can't remember ever doing. She savagely raked her hands through her silky blue locks and sighed heavily.

Shinji did not notice the trauma his roommate was experiencing. He was too happy! He couldn't believe that he was now living with Rei. It was a dream come true! Of course they were only living together as friends, but he knew that a relationship would come later... It just had to. He was in love with her, and by his own proclamation they were destined to be together.

He sat up a bit and perched himself on his elbows and looked at her. She was standing by the door looking lost in her thoughts <she is so beautiful> "I guess I should start unpacking!"

His words made her insides feel like they were turning to ice and brought her out of her thoughts. She looked at him, and he flashed her a very happy smile. Even his eyes seemed to smile at her. She had never seen him look so happy. EVER.

<maybe it won't be so bad> She walked into the apartment and over to her small closet. She pushed the few amount of clothing she owned to the left side. "Ikari-kun, you can put your clothes on this side." She pointed to the right side.

"Thanks Ayanami!" He put his suitcase on the bed and took out the hangers and his clothes.

As he hung up his clothes, Rei walked to her dresser. She had four drawers each had a specific purpose. To combine the items of the drawers was... unacceptable. The top drawer held her bras, the next held her panties, the next held her socks, the last... well that drawer was private. It could not be used. She looked at him and pondered on what would be the hospitable thing to do. She wasn't sure. As far as she could remember, she had always lived alone. So she wondered... should she combine them? She thought about it some more then made up her mind. She walked to the bed and reached into Shinji's suitcase and pulled out his underwear. She up it in them in same drawer as her panties. She then retrieved his socks and placed them with hers. The undershirts... she thought about it... They can be placed in the closet.

Shinji happened to glance at Rei and saw her put his socks into the third drawer. He walked over to her and saw that they were mixed with hers. He had a bad feeling, and quickly glanced at the remaining items in his suitcase. Just as he figured his underwear was gone.

"Ayanami."

"Yes?"

"Where did you put my *ahem* *cough* underwear?"

"In the second drawer." she informed.

With trepidation he asked. ".... With yours?"

"With my panties, yes."

Blood trickled out of his nose. He nodded and returned to his task of hanging up his clothes. In her closet he found her violin.

<I forgot that she played> "Do you play often?"

She glanced at him and notice that he was holding her violin then answered honestly. "Only when the commander asks me too."

"Oh.." Shinji put it back into the closet and returned to his task. After about two minutes he asked "Would you play for me... I mean .. one day?"

"If that is what you wish. Yes"

He turned and smiled at her. "Maybe we can play together... You on your violin, and me on my cello."

She nodded, almost royally.

The first child surveyed her apartment again and sighed silently as she sat uncomfortably on the corner of her bed. <this is going to take some getting used to>

**********************************

For the past 40+ minutes, she had been sitting on the bed while Shinji walked all over the apartment putting his belongings in various places.

He glanced at her. She had on her mask of indifference as she stared at the wall in almost a trance like state. She had been like that for about forty minutes.

"Are you sure you don't mind me living with you, Ayanami?" he asked even though he was afraid of her answer.

She blinked then slowly looked at him. Part of her was screaming <YES I MIND!!! GO BACK TO KATSURAGI'S APARTMENT!!! NOW!!! PLEASE!!! PLEASE LEAVE AND NEVER RETURN!!!> The other part was saying <Look how happy he is with you. And you are happy with him. This will work out if you just give it some time.> As she looked at him she noticed his fear. The fear of rejection. "Yes Ikari-kun, I want you to stay. Please.... continue to unpack. This in not only my home... it is now your home as well."

He gave her a warm smile and continued with what he was doing. After a few minutes he suggested "Since we don't have school tomorrow, wanna clean the apartment?"

The sensible side of her that convinced her to allow him to stay was now screaming <CLEAN?????!!!!! GET HIM OUTTA HERE!!!!!! AND GET HIM OUTTA HERE NOW!!!!!!> She didn't answer him instead she laid back on her bed and curled into the fetal position. <yes this is going to take some getting used to>

About ten minutes later Shinji declared himself as finished. He still had a lot of thing in the bags. But the apartment had limited space and besides the kitchen table, the bed, the dresser and a hospital tray cart with some beakers filled with water, there was no furniture. But more than that. He was tired. He looked over at the first child. She was resting peacefully on the bed. She was still curled up in a ball. <she looks so cute>

Shinji was about to push his bags to the side and lay out the sheet on the floor so that he could take a nap when he smelt it.

"Sniff... sniff.." He looked around ... "Sniff.... sniff" <what is that smell?> Then he realized... it was him.

"Ayanami."

She didn't respond.

"Do you mind if I take a shower?"

Her beautiful crimson eyes fluttered open. "This is your home now Ikari-kun. You do not need my permission." She closed her eyes.

He sheepishly rubbed the back of his head. "Oh yeah... Ok well I'm going to go take a shower now."

She didn't respond.

Shinji searched through his bags in search of some of the things he needed.. <ahh there we go... toothbrush... towel..... toothpaste..... umm where is it?.... noo... it's not in there... or there.. ahhh here it is. Soap!... shimita I forgot my shampoo and conditioner!!> He looked over at the sleeping blue haired beauty. "Rei... I seem to have forgotten my shampoo and conditioner... may I use yours?"

<NO YOU MAY NOT!! YOU'VE ALREADY TAKEN OVER MY APARTMENT! NOW YOU WANT MY SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER TOO!!!> She calmly answered "I do not mind Ikari-kun."

"Thanks!" He gave her a warm smile even though she didn't have her eyes open to see it, got up and walked into the bathroom with all his stuff.

To say that Ayanami had a small bathroom was a understatement. The toilet was practically pressed up against the sink. There was probably an inch or two of counter space around the sink basin. And the shower was approximately two feet away, and directly across the sink. And from the door to the adjacent wall, which only had a towel rack, was about a yard. And that was being generous with the estimate. Shinji felt claustrophobic. He took a deep breath and reached to shut the door... only to find out... there was no door... <OH MY GOD!!! I HAVE TO SHOWER WITH THE DOOR OPEN!!!>

Shinji stood in the bathroom for about 10 minutes staring at himself in the mirror and debating whether or not to even shower. How could he? There was absolutely no privacy! He turned his head and set his gaze outside of the bathroom. It went directly to the bed. The bed in which Ayanami was resting on. The bed in which gave her a clear view straight into the bathroom, if she so desired to look. He took a deep breath. Then smelt it again. Himself. Who cares if she saw him. He stunk, he needed a shower. But first he needed to ensure his privacy.

"Ayanami."

"I'm not going to look." She said in a calm tone with only a small hint of irritation. She was still resting on the bed with her eyes closed. She didn't even acknowledge his thankful response. She had other things on her mind beside his nakedness at the moment.

Rei had been trying to mentally cope with her *new situation* as she rested on the bed when Shinji informed her that he was going to bathe. Honestly, she was glad that he finally decided to do something about his smell. She had noticed it a while back, but felt it rude to say something about it. It wasn't until he was in the bathroom for about 5 minutes did she realize why he wasn't showering... no door. He was afraid that she was going to look at him. Perhaps if she didn't have so much on her mind, her curiosity would have made her take a peek. But she did. She needed to figure out how to deal with her personal space being invaded and conquered. She knew that she liked Ikari-kun, but she wondered if she liked him enough to share a 250sqft apartment? There was no place in the apartment that they wouldn't see each other. Except if he was in the bathroom and she was in the kitchen or vice versa.... Other than that, they will always be in each other's face..... Did she even know him well enough to agree to live in such an intimate situation?.... Did she even like him well enough?..... Her thoughts were interrupted with another thought, or should I say memory. It was the commanders voice....

"Rei, you know how unstable the mind of the second child is. It is imperative that we do not upset her."

The first child quickly sat up on the bed. And looked into the bathroom.

As Shinji undressed, he would glance at her every so often to make sure that she stayed true to her word and didn't look. When he was completely naked, his eyes met hers.

"AAAAAAYYYYAAANNNNAAAAMMMMMIIIII!!!!!"

His distress shocked her. She wasn't sure what was wrong with him. In her mind, he couldn't be reacting like this because he was naked. That was the most natural feeling in this world. It was a state and a feeling that she usually liked being in while she was in her apartment. So something must be wrong. She quickly got off the bed and walked into the bathroom. <Ikari-kun must be hurt>

Shinji's eyes tripled their size when he saw Rei making her way into the bathroom. <oh my god!!! what.... is.... she... doing?!!!!>

Rei was now in the very small bathroom and standing in front of the very naked Shinji Ikari. "Is everything ok?"

<is she serious?> "No Rei!! I'm naked!" He tried to get his towel but it was resting on the sink and she was standing in front of it. So instead he did his best to cover himself with his hands and said in an embarrassed whisper. "Could you please get out!!"

< it was because he was naked... so being naked bothers him... I wonder if my nakedness will bother him as well?> She turned around and walked out of the bathroom.

Once she was gone, he spat out "Rei, you promised not to look!!!" as he angrily wrapped at towel around his waist.

She didn't answer.

He stomped out of the bathroom. "Why did you come in here?!!!" <gawd I'm so embarrassed!!!>

She decided to answer him. "Ikari-kun... we have a problem."

<no %*^&!!!> He didn't say anything verbally. He just waited for her to explain.

"The second child... how is she going to react once she learns that we are now living together?"

Shinji paled and his eyes tripled their size.

"I thought so." She nodded. "It is imperative that she does not find out about our living arrangement."

In a feat against nature, Shinji paled even more. "Are you kicking me out, Ayanami?"

"No. I suggest we devise a plan to keep Souyru misinformed about our situation."

He slowly returned to his natural color. He wasn't entirely sure what she meant, so just to make sure they were on the same *page*, so to speak, he asked "You mean, we need to think of a lie?"

She inwardly sighed. "Yes, and it must be implemented before she is released from school and arrives at Katsuragi's apartment."

Shinji nodded in agreement. He glanced at his alarm clock that was on the floor where he would be sleeping. There was only about 30mins before school let out. "Let me wash up first and then we can think of something."

"Do you really have time to shower Ikari-kun?" She arched her left brow.

He looked back at the clock. "No, I guess not... But let me wash up a bit... I'll be quick I promise!"

She nodded and went to sit on the bed.

Shinji walked back into the bathroom, then turned around to face the bed. "Rei."

"Yes?"

"Could you please turn around or something?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I still don't own anything that deals with Evangelion ^_~