Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ So Happy Together ❯ chapter 5 ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
So Happy Together




Shinji waited for Aida outside the gate. Just moments before Asuka stormed past him. Luckily for him she was too angry to notice his hiding figure. He knew that if she had seen him, he wouldn't of had to worry about carrying out the plan. He would have died then and there of a heart attack.

He was glad that it was only a few minutes later that Kensuke came out of the building. He waved to him.

Aida used his finger to push his glasses into a more comfortable position when he noticed the third child waving wildly to get his attention. <what a geek> "What's up Ikari?!"

Shinji walked to his friend. "I need a favor!"

Kensuke looked interested. "If it has anything with you and Ayanami not coming back to class today...."

"It's not what you think!" Shinji interrupted angrily. He knew that his friend's mind was in the gutter.

Aida sighed "Then what do you need? Confidential information ... guns... a hit man for Asuka?"

Shinji gave his friend a dumbfounded expression. "I don't want to date her ... I don't want her dead."

"Well isn't that sweet." he said sarcastically. "Too bad I can't say she feels the same about you and Ayanami."

Shinji shook his head dejectedly. He knew that his friend spoke the truth. "I moved out of Misato-san's."

"What?!!" He couldn't believe it. "When?... To where?!!"

The third pilot bit his bottom lip. He didn't want to tell his hentai minded friend where, because then, he would start assuming that all kinds of libidinous activities are going on between him and the first child... but he did need his help so... he had to tell him. "Today.. I moved out today."

Kensuke was completely taken aback. "Why?"

<why do you think, baka!!!> "Do you really have to ask?"

Aida laughed and rubbed the back of his head. "Oh yeah... right! So where are you living now?"

Ikari pressed his lips together and narrowed his eyes at the boy. "Can I trust you to keep this a secret and not blow this out of proportion?"

Aida pointed at himself as if he were offended by what his friend said.

Shinji sighed and admitted "Ayanami's."

"WWWWHHHHHHHAAAAAATTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Shinji sheepishly looked around and noticed that almost everyone was focused on them because of his big mouth friend's reaction. "Would you shut up!"

"I knew it!!!!"

"It's not like that!"

"Like hell it isn't!" He shook his head and glared knowingly at the third child. "I knew it!!!! Just wait until Touji hears about this!! I told him but nooooo.... he now owes me five bucks!"

"Its not like th..." Shinji blinked. "You guys bet on me?"

Aida laughed out. "Yeah, so?"

Shinji sighed heavily. He was about to say something then decided to continue with the plan. After savagely raking his hands through his hair he spoke. "I need your help."

"I'll bet. Asuka's going to kill both of you!" He couldn't stop laughing. It wasn't a happy laughter, it was the nervous kind. He was really worried about his friend.

"I know. That's why I.. need you to allow everyone to think that I'm now staying with you."

"What?!!!"

"Yeah. If she thinks I'm staying with you, she won't be as mad once she finds out I'm gone!"

"What do you mean... once she finds out? You didn't tell her that you were moving out?"

Shinji shook his head no. "I really didn't decide to leave until she tried to fight Rei."

Kensuke took note that Shinji called Ayanami, Rei again. "So you guys are on a first name basis?"

Shinji blushed.

"Took long enough." Then he started laughing. "That was so awesome when she accepted Asuka's challenge. *Hahahaha* I wish Asuka didn't back down! I would of loved to see her get her butt kicked!!"

<me too> "Man, come on. She's not that bad!"

Aida gave him a skeptical look then changed the subject. "Won't Ayanami be offend that you're lying about where you live?"

"No." He shook his head. "Actually it was her idea. She's worried about Asuka's mental health once she finds out."

"Too late for that!" Aida laughed almost bitterly. "She's been nuts since the first day we met her!"

<you ain't lying> "Come on. Sure she has issues, but she's not that bad. I did date her for two years."

Kensuke gave him a skeptical look. "If you call what you guys had dating .... then I'd rather stay single... forever!!"

<me too> "So are you going to help me or not?"

<sure.... pull me into the pit of doom with you> "I guess... but what if she calls my house or something looking for you?"

Shinji gave him a knowing smile. "She won't. She has too much pride. She's going to want me to call and crawl back to her!"

"Yeah, but what If she does?"

"Then tell her I'm asleep or out on a walk."

"But.... what if she ask me in school what it's like living with you... what do I say then?"

The third pilot gave his friend an evil smirk. "Tell her I'm like the brother you wish you had. *hahaha* That will really piss her off!!! *hahaha* Because she'll be hoping that you say something negative!"

Kensuke started laughing loudly. "I think I'm going to like this!"

"But no matter what, you cannot tell anyone that I don't live at your house... Not even Touji.... Because he'll blab to Hikari and she'll tell Asuka and then all hell will break loose!"

"Don't worry I won't!"

Ikari nodded, then started walking away. "Kensuke."

"Yeah?"

"Thanks."

He smiled warmly. "No problem.... brother!"

The two started laughing.

He ran and caught up with him. "So are you going back to, Ayanami's?"

"No.. I need to go to a hardware store."

"Why?"

"I need to buy a new door knob and lock."

"Why?"

"Because before I left to come here, I asked Rei if she had a set of keys for the apartment that I could have...."

"Keys? Like metal ones?"

"Uh yeah I guess..."

"They still have doors that require keys like that?"

"No."

"Huh?"

"She informed me that she never had any keys. That's why she never locked her door. That's why I'm going to the hardware store. I'm going to surprise her and change the locks for her."

"Oh.. Want company?"

"Sure."

************************

At the apartment Rei was in the bathroom. She had just went #1 and she was looking for the tissue. She knew that she had some. It was sitting on the sink counter. But now she couldn't find it anywhere.

<hmmm that's weird> She stood and opened the medicine counter. She found it. <I guess Ikari-kun put it in here when he washed up. He must not of wanted to get it wet.> When she reached to get it her hand tapped her new roommate's toothbrush. It fell out of the cabinet and into the sink. Unfortunately it didn't stay in there. On impact, it bounced out, did at 360 into the air, and headed for the toilet. She tried to grab it but missed.

~Clink~

On one side of the toilet seat.

It did a flip in the air...

She tried to grab it but missed.

~Clink~

On the other side of the toilet seat....

It did another twirl in the air.

She tried to grab it again. Missed.

~SPLASH~

If this were the Olympics, its performance would have earned a perfect ten.

Rei was unsure what to do about this unfortunate situation. For about two minutes she just stared at it. <gross!>

After two more minutes she decided on what had to be done. She need to wipe herself and she needed to flush the toilet... but she couldn't very well do that with a toothbrush in it. She kicked of her off her panties so she could walk freely and went to the kitchen. She reached in her drawers and pulled out a pair of cooking thongs and walked back to the bathroom. With the thongs she reached in and pulled out the toothbrush.

~Ring~

It was her NERV issued cell phone. She quickly put the toothbrush into the sink, wiped herself, flushed the toilet and went to answer the phone.

She answered in her usual soft voice. "Hello."

"Rei."

"Yes commander."

"I need to speak to you immediately."

"Yes sir."

~click~

She went to retrieve a clean pair of panties and left to see what the Commander wanted.

******************************

The first child stood in the center of the commander's dimly lit office. She had been standing there for a while. For it seemed that the commander couldn't get his words out of his mouth.

Gendo opened his mouth again for the seventh time to speak only to realize that once again his voice would not cooperate.

"Is something wrong sir?" Rei asked innocently in her soft monotone voice.

<YES!!!!> The commander took a deep breath and finally spoke "Rei..."

"Yes sir?"

He took another deep breath. "I have been in formed that you have allowed pilot Ikari to take up residents at your apartment.... Is this true?" He barely was able to mask his trepidation of her answer.

"Yes."

<NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!> Masked under his tinted glasses the commander's right eye was twitching. "How did this come to be?"

"He asked to live with me sir." She answered truthfully.

A vein popped out on his fore head. "Why did he ask this of you?"

"He was afraid to live within the same house of Souyru now that they no longer have an intimate relationship."

"I see."

Rei stood and awaited for him to continue with the questions.

The eldest Ikari looked at his favorite. <just ask her> "What is your relationship with the third child?"

"He is a fellow pilot, classmate and.... and... friend?"

<friend> "Is that all he is to you?" <it better be>

"Yes."

A flood of relief washed over the commander. All those horrible thoughts that he hoped was *not* going on between his two children were now gone. He knew that Rei would never lie to him. "Rei."

"Yes."

"What of the second child, does she know about this new arrangement?"

Rei looked at the ground. "No."

"Hmm." He clasped his hands together. "Do you remember what we spoke of about her earlier?"

She dejectedly nodded.

"So you know what has to be done."

Barely above a whisper she answered "Hai."

He noticed her dejected demeanor. It was breaking his heart to make her sad. How can he order her to kick his son out of her home when apparently Shinji's presence there brings her joy? He took a deep breath and said "How are you going to keep her from finding out?"

Rei perked up instantly. "It is already taken care of."

He nodded. "That will be all, Rei."

She nodded and quietly walked out of his office.

A silent figure that stood behind the commander said "You're risking the second child's mental health...."

Gendo didn't respond.

Fuyutsuki continued "Just to make Rei happy. Is this wise Gendo?"

<The second child is already nuts! It has nothing to do with Rei> The commander stated absolutely "Pilot Souyru cannot always have her way. She needs to learn that."

"But Rei can?"

"Rei is helping out her fellow pilot.. nothing more." The commander felt a little offended by Fuyutsuki comment. <is it that obvious?.... no of course not!> "Furthermore Rei does not always get her way."

<yeah right> The professor made a skeptical expression behind the commander's back and was about to comment on what he said, then decided not to. "I'll request a psychiatrist for Souyru immediately."

Gendo nodded as he watched his long time friend leave his office. <I need to learn how to say no to her>

******************************************

When Shinji got home Rei was gone. He had no idea where she had gone to because she didn't leave a note. Her absence was making him worried, because it was getting late. To take his mind off of his fears that she was in danger, he decided to changes the locks. It wasn't hard. It only consisted of unscrewing the old door knob and screwing in the new. However this one was more modern and also had a card swipe entry.

After he was finished, Shinji walked into the dirty apartment and noticed something. The outside noise. It was loud. He wondered why he didn't hear it earlier. Sure, he remembered hearing it when he came here the first time, and the second time with Touji but lately... when he was with her, he didn't hear it at all. But now, the noise consumed the apartment. He started looking for another plug outlet so that he could plug in his stereo. He wanted to tune out the noise. After about a minute search, he found one. He placed his stereo on her dresser, plugged it in, and turned on some music.

It wasn't that the noise was that bad. Strangely enough it wasn't. It kind of made him feel safe and not so alone in this small, dirty apartment. It gave him a kind of assurance, because he knew as long as there was noise coming from outside, he was never truly by himself.

<that's probably why it doesn't bother her>

With his music blasting, the first time he was ever truly able to do that without worrying about disturbing the neighbors or his grumpy demon *ex* girlfriend, Shinji decided to take a shower. All the needed stuff was already in the bathroom from his earlier try. And this time he was more relaxed because he didn't have an audience watching him undress. ^_~

The third pilot undressed, and being the neat freak that he was, folded his dirty clothes and placed them in a pile. He then tippy toed to the shower. He didn't want to put his whole foot on the dirty floor. He opened the frosted glass door and ... was... totally... grossed.... out.

Fighting his gag reflex, Shinji looked underneath the bathroom sink counter for some Ajax, bleach, antiseptic, grime and mold killer.. something!! He just needed *something* to kill the stuff that was growing in there!! He found nothing. He then tippy toed to the kitchen and looked in all the cabinets. Only to once again find... Nothing!!

"Does she ever clean!!!"

Unsuccessful with his efforts to find cleaning supplies, he did the only thing he could think of. He washed himself in the sink.

Picking up a personal item of his, he wondered. "When did my toothbrush fall out of the cabinet?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About twenty minutes later.

Rei was walking to her apartment like she always does, only this time something was different. Music filled the halls of the empty building, ringing the truth that someone actually lived there. A small smile tugged at her lips. She was actually *glad* that she wasn't alone.

When she got to her apartment she didn't notice the change on her door. She grabbed the clearly different door knob and attempted to turn it.

~Locked~

She quirked and eyebrow and looked up. <402.. yes this is my apartment> She looked back down and tried again to open the door.

~Still locked~

She looked back up <It says it's 402.. it must be. I can hear Ikari-kun's music... oh. (she nodded knowingly) .... Ikari-kun> He knocked on the door..... She waited about a minute and knocked again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shinji was in the apartment and was just finishing up on his sink basin bathing. It took longer than he thought. It was also harder than he thought. He had splashed water everywhere. He even mistakenly broke Ayanami's bottle of conditioner spilling its contents all over the floor.

"I'll just buy her another bottle tomorrow."

He was dressed in his sleeping clothes and had just put the toothpaste on his toothbrush when heard the faint knocking of someone at the door. He decided to get it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rei was surprised to see Shinji when he opened the door. Not because she forgot he was there. How could she? His music was blasting, and he had changed the lock on the door. It was what he was doing that froze her insides.

"Ohwa I whope thath you whernt outta herea toowa long"

"Umm Shinji?"

That was the first time he had ever heard her call him by his first name. It made him beyond happy, and gave him even more hope about their future together! He made a gesture to his ear and then held up one finger tell her to wait just one second. He ran to the stereo and turned off the music.

"Yestha Rei?"

"Did you buy a new tooth brush?" <please say yes>

"Uh noah hwhyy?" He answered as he steadily brushed his pearly whites.

(more ice in her stomach) She responded calmly. "Because I dropped your toothbrush into the toilet after I went pee."

Shinji's world went into slow motion. Her words were not registering into his brain. For if they were, he would of ripped that offending toothbrush out of his mouth and threw it across the room. Instead, he slowly turned around and looked at the toilet and at the disgusting black ring in its basin! Then his brain finally heard *some* of her words. < dropped..... toothbrush...... toilet... INTO toilet...... PEE!!!!!!> Slowly, he took the brush out of his mouth and looked at it...

Ayanami was completely taken back when Shinji started to scream. If she didn't see it for her self she would have sworn that it is was a seven year old girl's piercing screech and not a 16 year old boy's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An hour later.

Rei sat on the bed. She was pouting as she observed the third child in the bathroom. <He didn't even ask>

Shinji had been in the bathroom for the past hour. He was brushing the hell out of his teeth , gums, tongue, cheeks, throat, lips... etc. with *Rei's* toothbrush. He had already used his whole tube of toothpaste *and* mouth wash. And now he was working on using the rest of *hers.* Amazingly, threw it all, he was still screaming!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About thirty minutes later.

Rei walked into the bathroom. "You're going to brush the enamel off of your teeth."

Still brushing, Shinji glanced at the filthy toilet. He fought the urge to vomit. "I don't care!" and started brushing his teeth with more vigor.

She made no outward response except. "I need to take a shower."

He didn't respond he just continued brushing.

Rei was tempted to start undressing then and there, but decided against it when she noticed that she too was now out of toothpaste and had only one more cap full of mouth wash. She could wait. She walked back to the bed, sat down and watched him finish.

Her mouth wash stung his sore raw mouth but he held it in his mouth and endured the pain for about 5 minutes before he spit it out. He turned to her and glared.

Rei passively stared back but inwardly she innocently wondered <what did I do?>

Shinji's angry look warmed up as he started at her innocent angelic face. Something in him knew then and there that he would never be able to stay mad at her. He warmly asked "Why didn't you just throw it away?"

"I was ordered to go the NERV immediately. After I got the call.... I... forgot."

He tried to give her a reassuring close lipped smile but his mouth was too sore. Instead he nodded as he walked out of the bathroom.

Rei got off the bed and walked into the bathroom.

Shinji turned around to tell her something the quickly spun back around because she was undressing. <I'll just tell her later>

~~~~~~~~~~

Rei had been in the shower for about ten minute. Her body was now sufficiently clean. She was now working on her hair. Though she never verbally complained, she hated the type of shampoo she used. It was NERV issued. It more than sufficiently cleaned her hair, it actually stripped it of all its natural oils and shine. If she was completely human her hair would be one big split end. But more than that, it tangled the hell out of her blue locks. If it wasn't for her NERV issued conditioner, complete with moisturizer and detangleler, she would have one messed up, knotted, blue mop of hair. Hmmm speaking of conditioner were was it?

"Ikari-kun." She called out from the shower.

<~gross~ how can she bathe in there?> "Um yes Ayanami?"

"Where is my conditioner? I do not see it."

He sat straight up from the spot he was lying on the floor, bit his bottom lip, then reluctantly answered. "I... made.. I made a mistake and dropped it."

She called out sweetly in her usually voice. "That is ok, Ikari-kun, but where is it?"

He paused before he answered then sighed heavily. "Uhh... when I dropped it ....it kinda broke and... split all over the floor..."

Immediately after he finished his words he heard the shower door open and a naked first child appear in the bathroom doorway.

Her hair was covered with shampoo foam. Some of it was sliding down her neck and down her back. Slowly, she put her hand to her ear. "Could you run that by me again?.... Because I know you didn't just tell me I'm out of conditioner."

"Eep" Shinji clearly heard the hint of anger in her calm voice.

She waited for the answered.

Shinji was afraid. He couldn't even appreciate seeing Rei's beautiful naked body. Well that's not true. Later tonight, he and his right hand were going to thoroughly discuss this incident. ^_~

But right now, all he could say was. "I'm sorry."

Rei blinked and mentally screamed <NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!> but verbally answered, "I forgive you" and walked back into the shower.

She quickly washed the damaging shampoo out of her hair and got out of the shower. She dried off with her towel, retrieved some fresh underwear, and absently walked into the bedroom and crawled into the bed. She had glanced at herself in the medicine cabinet mirror before she walk out of the bathroom. It was just as she feared. Her hair was a tangled, knotted mess.

Shinji turned to his side, burying his face in his pillow and looked away from the bathroom, when he heard the first child turn off the shower. It wasn't long before he heard her leave the bathroom and crawl into bed.

"I'm sorry." he said again.

<me too> "Do not worry yourself over it Ikari-kun."

"I'll buy you some more tomorrow and a new toothbrush."

"That will not be necessary." She sighed.

"I want to."

"Then as you wish. Good night, Ikari-kun."

"Good night Ayanami."

***********************************************

Nope.. I still don't own any thing that deals with Evangelion.