Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ So Happy Together ❯ chapter 6 ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
So Happy Together



Asuka got home a couple of hours after Misato. The fiery red head was too angry with Shinji to go straight home after school. So she went to Hikari's house instead. She needed to calm down before she when home because if she didn't, she was going to *kill* the commander's son. And that was unacceptable, she felt that she was way too pretty to be sent to prison. Even if the third child did deserve to die...

Well that's not truly how she felt. She didn't want Shinji dead. But she *did* feel that way about the first child.

"That man stealing %*&^@ , %*%^$@$#*&, *&^*^ #^%$&^, #^$^ !!!!!!!!"

Asuka wiped her eyes, again. All day she had been forcing herself not to cry. She was *not* going to cry. She couldn't. Not over him. It was he who should be sad. Not her! She sniffed again.

She had a plan. She was just going to go into the apartment and prove to Shinji that she was better off without him.... So what if they were no longer dating.... She didn't need him anyway.... She was Asuka Langely Souyru.... NERV's #1 pilot, the prettiest and most popular girl in school... She didn't need ... *sniff*... him.

She leaned against the wall outside her apartment door. She had to compose herself before she went in or her plan was going to back fire.

She perked up a bit when she realized something. She was still one up on that *stupid doll*.. Shinji lived here. So she had more of an opportunity to make him see what a mistake he made when he.. he.. *sniff sniff*.... Asuka wiped the tears from her eyes again.... She was *not* going to cry.

She took a deep breath and willed herself to keep up her mask of indifference. She was going to make Shinji beg her to take him back.

About five minutes later, she swiped her card key and opened the door to the apartment. She noticed a very sad looking Misato sitting at the kitchen table. She seemed to be drunk. The major had about seven empty cans of beer spread out on the table and one that was almost empty in her hand.

Asuka took a deep breath to steady her voice. She didn't want *the idiot* to know that she was sad, and that what he did hurt her more than she wanted to admit. "What's up Misato?"

The major looked at her red headed roommate and calmly said "I have to tell you something.... and I think you should sit down when you hear it."

The young girl walked over to the major and sat down. Usually she would have asked why, but something about the woman's demeanor made her shut up and obey.

The purple haired woman looked at the girl and narrowed her eyes. "What happened between you and Shinji today?"

The second pilot's hand defensively pressed against her chest and roared "Don't look at me like that! The %$@ ing idiot, cheated on me with that %*@$ing *doll* last night!!! *Then* he had the nerve to take up for her in class today!!!" She stood up and put her hands angrily on her hips. "What do you think I did?!! I dumped his cheating @$$!!!" A small part of her was glad she was honestly able to say that.

Misato was instantly sobered up after that confession. "What?.. Shinji did what?"

Asuka silky red hair fanned around as she spun on her heals and started to walk away, toward her bedroom "If you really want to know what happened, I suggest you talk to that cheating bastard!!!"

She almost passed his room in anger then decided to get the Baka and have him explain his actions to both her and Misato. She kicked on Shinji's door, not noticing that his lovely suite sign was missing "Yo idiot!!! Misato wants so speak to your cheating @$$!!!" She waited for about two seconds. Unfortunately, she didn't hear Katsuragi's calls for her before the she flung open his door.

She was shocked stiff by what she found....

Misato walked behind her and gently placed her hand on the girl's shoulder. "He left." She said it as if Asuka couldn't figure that out herself as she stood in his completely empty room.

Asuka didn't respond.

"He left me a note..."

She didn't respond but a single tear trickled down her face.

The older woman continued "...But he didn't say where he was staying."

That brought the second child out of her stupor. She slowly reached over and put her hand on top of Misato's and roughly pushed it off her shoulder then spun around and faced her.

Misato winced and backed up in fear.

"You and I both know where he is! So don't give me that $#!%!!!" She stepped forward.

Misato matched her movement and stepped backwards.

Asuka's eyes glistened like two blue infernos and said in an uncharacteristically calm, yet sinisterly evil voice. "If *she* thinks that *she's* going to get away with this *she* is sorely mistaken." She pushed passed the major, and stomped into her room.

The major swallowed hard. She knew exactly who Asuka was taking about and whispered to herself. "Ayanami, I hope you know what you're getting yourself into."

********************

Shinji woke up very early that next day. He had to hide the evidence of his stealthy act ^_~

<I'm... scum..> He thought as he threw the stiff tissues in the toilet.

As he walked out of the bathroom he noticed the golden rays of the sunrise seeping through the heavy curtains in the apartment. Without even thinking about it, he opened them. Dust flew everywhere and glistened like fairy powder in the sunshine.

"Achoo... Achoo" The third pilot sneezed violently.

The first child, however, curled herself into a ball and plopped the pillow over her face to block out the light of the sunshine.

"*cough*... *achoo*" Shinji struggled to breathe and choked out "Rei... *cough*"

She didn't respond.

*cough* "Rei." He choked out again.

A groggy "Hai" was her response.

"Achoo.... We're cleaning the apartment today." he commanded as his throat closed up.

She didn't outwardly respond, but inwardly groaned.

After a few minutes Shinji was able to breath again without sneezing or coughing. He surveyed the apartment. He needed to determine what types of cleaning supplies needed to be bought. By what he observed the knew that the job was gong to take all day. The sun shine gave light to how *filthy* the apartment really was. If he had known ..... He shook his head. He doubted that he would have ever moved in with her. He honestly felt that her apartment should have been condemned on the account of filth!!!

"Rei wake up."

No response.

He took a deep breath. He wanted to get out of there. He wanted to run out of there and into a pool of disinfectant!! He commanded again.

"Rei wake up."

No response.

Shinji barred his teeth and walked over to her and grabbed her pillow. He was taken back by what he saw.

Rei tightly pressed her eyes shut when her pillow was taken off her face and the sun light shined in her eyes. "I am up." she said and a calm voice that rang with a hint of annoyance.

The third pilot blinked hard and spoke. "What happened... to ... your hair?"

Rei slowly opened her eyes and sat up on the bed. She reached up with her hand and felt what seemed to be distressing the third child. <oh... gawd> She slowly got off the bed. Though she was afraid of what she was going to see, she gave no outward appearance of it.

When she got into the bathroom and looked into her dirty mirror. She honestly had to do a double take.

Shinji noticed her reaction and lightly chuckled to himself.

The complete left side of her hair was matted and pushed up. Giving the middle of her hair a mohawk like appearance. The right side was a wild, tangled, knotted mess. She just stood there for a while mentally trying to will her hair to go back the way it was.

"What happened Ayanami?" (he always reverts back to her last name when he's nervous)

After about a minute a weak reply of "I didn't have any conditioner" was heard.

"Oh.... I'm sorry." He knew that what happened to her hair was *entirely his fault*.

She didn't respond.

He nervously scratched the back of his head an spoke. "Uh... well.. I was going to have you go to the store with me to pick up the supplies we'll need to clean the apartment...."

She just stared blankly into the mirror.

"Ummm yeah... well... you don't have to go since.... I mean... I'll go by myself..."

She just stared blankly into the mirror.

He started swing his arms and clapping his hands nervously when they came together. "Yeah.. well ... I'll just be going... now...." He walked backwards to the closet and picked out something to wear and headed for the door.

"Ayanami.. your key card is on your dresser by the stereo ......if you have... to... go somewhere.. umm yeah.. never mind..." He left the apartment and began his journey to the 24-hour everything store.

She just stared blankly into the mirror.

****************************************

It wasn't until two hours later did he come back.

Shinji struggled to open the door and carry the four bags of cleaning supplies, plus two mops, a broom and three buckets, plus breakfast (because there was no way he was going to eat anything made in *that* kitchen)

"REI... I need help... can you open the door?"

The first pilot slowly got of the bed and made her way to the door.

Shinji blinked when she answered the door. She was adorned in only her bra and panties. He blushed heavily. He couldn't appreciate her attire this morning when he woke her up because the filth of the apartment and her hair, but now...

Rei noticed his leering eyes but did not comment on it. Instead she took two of the bags out of his hands and brought them into the apartment.

Shinji followed, after closing the door. "I bought you some breakfast.... I already ate mine." ( because his stomach wasn't strong enough to eat in there)

"Thank you." She smiled. "I will eat it later. Usually I do not eat breakfast."

"You're welcome Rei." He placed the bags and the rest of the stuff of the bedroom floor and looked around the apartment and surveyed the damage once again, then remembered. "Oh..." he dug into a bag. "Here's your new toothbrush, and conditioner... oh.. I bought you some shampoo too, because the one you have made my hair...." He looked at her and the gawd awful hair style she was stuck with and said " ...uh never mind."

She pressed her perfect lips together and narrowed her eyes slightly. Other than that she did not respond.

"I got us some toothpaste and mouth wash too." He gave her a guilty look. "I hope you don't mind sharing the toothpaste and shampoo and stuff... I kinda ran out of money, so I could only get one of each."

"Do we have to share a toothbrush too?"

"Oh no... I bought my own."

"Then I don't mind."

He looked away from her and her clad attire. "Sooo... since you're not going to eat yet... wanna get started?"

<No> Inwardly groaning, she walked toward the bags and pulled out a scouring sponge.

"Uh.." He started to blush even deeper, since he hadn't stopped blushing since she opened the door. "Aren't you going to get dressed?"

She looked up at him and inwardly sighed. She put down the sponge and walked to her closet and pulled out one of her few T-shirts and mentally grumbled <even in only bra and panties, I have on more clothes than I usually have on in *MY* apartment> After she slipped on the loosely fitted t-shirt that barely came to her thigh she asked. "Does what I have on bother you?" in her calm voice.

~gulp~ "No."

"Then..." she reached and got a bucket and her sponge, "I am dressed."

~GULP~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Both adorned in rubber gloves and using enough cleaning supplies to clean the whole apartment building, each pilot cleaned a different room. Shinji took the bathroom and Rei took the bedroom They were going to do the kitchen together. As he worked, he would periodically glance at her. This time, he smiled at her effort, but he knew that he was going to have to go behind her and clean the room correctly. (he was a neat freak)

He first cleaned the toilet, and every square inch around it, then the sink, the medicine cabinet and then the shower. He found a startling yet disgusting discovery...

"The glass door on the shower... isn't frosted.... Ewwww!!!"

It took about an hour to thoroughly clean the lavatory from top to bottom, to his specifications, but as he stood in the doorway and noticed how everything sparkled... "It was more than worth it."

He took a deep breath and journeyed to the kitchen. Rei was still doing her best in the bedroom.

Surprisingly, the kitchen wasn't as bad as the bathroom. Probably due to the fact that she mostly ate her meals with the commander at NERV. It only took three hours... Rei helped a little, but Shinji told her that he had it under control. Actually, Rei wasn't used to cleaning so her efforts were not really making a difference. But then again, Shinji was a compulsive neat freak and even at Misato's, the girls' cleaning efforts never appeased him. He would always go behind them and clean what they already cleaned.

When he was finished with the kitchen he started in the bedroom.

"I already finished in here." Rei said calmly as she sat on the bed.

Shinji looked around and winced. Sure it was *a lot* cleaner but.. it just didn't met up to his standards.

He sheepishly rubbed the back of his head.. "I know... and it looks grea... good too.." He gave her a reassuring look. "I just want to touch up a few spots you missed."

"Oh.. okay" She didn't look totally convinced. But as long as he didn't ask her to do the room again, she didn't have a problem with it. So as he re-cleaned the bedroom, she went to the kitchen to eat the breakfast he brought her a couple of hours before.

Shinji exhaled deeply as he watched her go into the kitchen. He was afraid that she was going to blow up and fight and yell like Asuka usually does when he goes and cleans up behind her. He was happy that Rei's reactions were totally different. It helped reassure him that this was going to work out.

It wasn't long before he had cleaned the entire apartment just the way he liked it. He had washed the walls and moved her furniture and cleaned behind it, washed the furniture itself... By the time he was done he had cleaned every nook and cranny in the apartment.

When he was done he stood at the apartment's entrance and observed his work. He was very pleased. The chrome walls actually sparkled. The cherry wood floors were now cleaned, waxed, and shined to the point to where you could see your reflection. The bathroom and the kitchen were spotless.

Now that the apartment was clean, he could see that it was actually very nice. It wasn't even in that bad of shape. It was filth that made it look so uninhabitable before.

Shinji heard the shower running. After he hinted around that in his opinion, she didn't clean good enough Rei had given up in helping clean. Now she was trying to get the knots out of her hair. She had been in the shower for a while.

Shinji sighed deeply; he was tired. The day was almost over, but it wasn't late. He walked over to Rei's bed and laid down.

~~~~

The shower stopped. Rei finally got the knots out of her hair. She walked out of the shower. It felt weird being in a super clean bathroom. Nice. <maybe I should have cleaned my quarters once in a while> She shrugged at the thought. She took a lock of her wet hair and brought it to her nose and inhaled deeply. She had to admit, she liked the shampoo and conditioner Shinji bought. It smelled like green apples.

Her brow furrowed a bit as she looked around the small bathroom, she couldn't find her towel. However, she did notice two clean towels on the rack that belonged to her roommate. She wasn't sure if she should use one of them. She wasn't sure how he would feel about it, so she opted to drip dry. She walked on the clean tile floor and to the clean sink and picked up her new toothbrush that was right beside Shinji's in a toothbrush holder that was screwed into the wall.

~~~

Shinji had heard the shower stop, and when Rei stepped out, he forced himself to turn to his side so he wouldn't look at her. He was breathing heavily. This was just too much temptation to be a peeping Tom. When he heard the sounds of her bushing her teeth he called out.

"Rei."

She took her tooth brush out of her mouth "Hai."

"Thanks for your help."

She was taken aback. It was she who should be thanking him. "Shinji..."

He smiled at her use of his name.

"I.. thank you.."

He turned to face her. His eyes got as big as saucers. "Ayanami."

She rinse the toothpaste off her mouth and looked at him innocently .

He had already turned around. "I.. put a towel in there for you."

She looked at the set of towels, retrieved one and began to dry her hair. "Thank you Ikari-kun."

The third child swallowed hard and wiped the blood from his nose and answered. "Y..you're welcome."

******************

Shinji had taken a shower after Ayanami and they went to NERV to eat. They went there because pilots got to eat their food for free. And even though Rei had food in her house. It was only bread, peanut butter and grape jelly. Shinji didn't want that. Rei did because it was her favorite thing to eat, but went to NERV to eat anyway.

After they finished eating, Rei wanted to go to a store. Shinji didn't mind accompanying her, but she told him that she wanted to go alone. It kind of hurt his feelings but he let her have her way and walked to their apartment alone.

~~~~

Rei was walking home after she left the 24hr everything store. She honestly hated going in there. Since the angels stopped attacking, more people had returned to Toyko-3. And since this store did everything from selling groceries to having a place where you can get a tune up on your car, as well as being in the middle of town, (close to everyone, no matter where you lived) it was always too busy and packed with people.

While she was making her journey home, the package that she carried in her arms didn't seem as light as it was a few minutes ago. Actually it was getting really heavy and the weight of it was hurting her arms and straining her muscles. <I think I'm going to start with my martial arts training again, I'm out of shape>

She sighed in relief when she saw her building. Part of her wished that she did allow Shinji to accompany her, but she knew that he was tired and she wanted to do something nice for him... Sort of like a surprise.

************

Shinji laid on his sheet on the floor. He was tired but he couldn't sleep. So he was staring at another unfamiliar ceiling. He was worried about how Ayanami felt about him living with her. At times it seemed like she didn't want him there and really wanted to be alone. Like when she told him not to go with her to the store. He was just glad that she wasn't facing him when she said that. If she was... she would seen his heart break.

"I thought.. that we were getting closer."

He sighed... he didn't know what to think.

~~~~~~~~

When Rei got to their door she remembered that she did not have her card key. She lightly tapped on the door with her foot. <Please be home>

~~~~~~~

Shinji groaned as he slowly got up. The floor was really unforgiving on his body. He walked to the door and opened it. He was happily surprised when he saw his blue haired angel. All his fears were washed away as well.

"I bought you something." She sheepishly admitted as she looked up at him with big innocent crimson eyes. "To... say thanks.... and.. let you.. know... that" She bit her bottom lip. She was really feeling shy for some reason, but she forced herself to continue. "That I am happy you are here." <why was that so hard to say?>

Shinji gave her a big cheesy smile, and took the box out of her arms. "Thanks Rei."

She gave him a warm smile back and let the bag that hung around her elbow slip into her hand and walked into their apartment behind him.

They both sat on her bed and Shinji just looked at the box as if this was the first thing anyone ever gave him.

"Do you approve?" she asked hopefully.

He nodded vigorously. "Yes.. thanks Rei!"

"You are very welcome." She smiled as she looked at him.

After a few more moments of staring at the box, he decided to open it and laid its contents on the floor.

"This was *really* expensive Rei, I know because I was looking at it this morning...."

She didn't respond she just continued to smile at him.

He looked up at her and smiled. "You didn't have to get me this one. You could have gotten me a cheaper one."

She smiled warmly at him. "I... wanted you to have this one."

"Thanks." He looked back at his present.

Rei spoke in her soft voice as she handed him the contents of what was in the bag. "It is supposed to inflate in 30 seconds and deflate in the same amount of time."

He nodded. "I know. It's the best one they have!"

"I am glad you approve." She watched him hooked the pump to it.

"Well here goes nothing!" He pushed the button.. It worked! Shinji quickly unhooked the pump and plopped on his new inflatable bed. With a big cheesy grin he happily sighed "Ahhhhhhh.."

She giggled at him.

He looked up happily at her and smiled.

"Is it really that comfortable?" she asked.

"It's like sleeping on a cloud!" he said melodramatically.

She quirked an eyebrow then joined him on his twin sized inflatable bed.

He completely stiffened.

She noticed this as she snuggled beside him to share his pillow. As she made herself comfortable she innocently said. "Don't worry Ikari-kun, it can handle both our weight." She had no clue why he was really reacting the way he did.

"......"

She wiggled again making herself comfortable. "You're right. It is like sleeping on a cloud."

That brought him out of his teenaged hormonal paralysis. He knew that see was an angel so he wondered. "Have you really slept on a cloud Rei?"

She gave him a face that said Wouldn't you like to know. But did not answer verbally.

Shinji understood the unspoken answer and sighed "Wow.."

She giggled. "No. I've never slept on a cloud. It is scientifically impossible to do such a feat."

Shinji sat up a bit, perched himself on his elbow and looked at her for about 10 seconds before he started laughing. He laid back down beside her. "Thanks again."

She turned to her side to face him. "Hmm, maybe I will join you on it tonight."

He went totally stiff again. Totally stiff. ^_~

She giggled and closed her eyes.

"A..Ayanami... are you serious?"

"No, Ikari-kun. I bought this for you. It would be rude of me to impose."

He swallowed hard. "It's not an imposition.. Rei."

She opened her eyes and looked at him. "Are you sure this does not bother you?.. If it does, I will return to my bed."

He shook his head profusely and quickly answered "It's ok... I don't mind."

She nodded and closed her eyes.

Shinji rested beside her with his eyes wide open as he mentally reminded himself to breathe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<why do I feel so comfortable around him> She snuggled closer to him and breathed in his clean scent.

Shinji tried to force the lower hemisphere of his body to relax when she scooted closer to him. <doesn't she know that she's doing to me?...> He shifted his hips and he tugged on his now too snug pants. He tried not be obvious as he created more room for the very responsive part of his body.

She opened her eyes when she felt him move. <he's still blushing... is it because of me?>

Shinji didn't notice the first child looking at him as he stared at the ceiling and let out a deep breath <I never felt like this when I was with Asuka...> He shifted his hips again and tugged on his pants. <I guess it's because I'm in love with Rei>

She blinked. <he looks nervous... I think I am making him nervous> She slowly got up.

His gaze whipped to her. "What's wrong, Rei?"

"I am bothering you."

He sat up and covered his *ahem* with his hands in a seemingly innocent movement. "No you're not."

She smiled warmly at him as she returned to her own bed.

With heart felt conviction he said "For real, Rei... I like laying next to you."

She gave him an even warmer smile and answered "Perhaps one day...." She finished her sentence mentally <we will share a bed> She laid on her back in her own bed and stared at the ceiling

Shinji did the same.

They both thought at the same time <I feel so lonely now, in my own bed>

*****************************************************

Nope I still don't own any thing that deals with Evangelion