Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ So Happy Together ❯ chapter 7 ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
So Happy Together






Very early the next morning.

~ring ring~

With his eyes still closed, Shinji delved on the floor for his NERV issued cell phone. He couldn't find it.

~ring ring~

He scooted over on his air mattress and reached under Rei's bed. <finally> He took a deep breath to wake up and answered sleepily. "Mooshi mooshi."

"Shinji, what the hell were you thinking?!!!"

Now it was very early and Shinji was very tired. "What?.... who is this?"

"Oh so soon we forget!!!..." the voice said sarcastically. "Who do you think it is?!"

".....Misato?" he guessed groggily.

"Of course it's me, Baka!! Shinji how could you cheat on Asuka?!!"

"Huh?..."

"Oh don't you *even* try to tell my that you didn't cheat on Asuka with Rei?!" she yelled bitterly. "Everyone knows! Even Rei admitted herself!"

The first pilot sat straight up. "What?! Rei said what?!"

"Shinji, I don't want to even talk about it on the phone! I'll meet you *both* in my office in twenty minutes! I'll let both of you explain it to me then!!"

The third child looked over at Rei's bed; it was empty. He leaned over a bit to see inside the tiny bathroom. It was empty as well. He looked toward the kitchen. Empty. "Misato.. I'm pretty sure of what you want to talk about, but if you want me to inform Rei about the meeting... I can't. I have no clue where she is." He said honestly.

"Whatever, Shinji!!" The major said almost bitterly.

He was a bit offended by her doubt, and spat out with the anger one has when one is awaken at the butt crack of dawn. "I have no reason to lie to you!"

"Shinji... I can hear the construction going on outside her apartment, through the phone! I know where you are. So don't even try to give me that bull $#!% about not knowing where she is!!"

The boy turned beet red. <oops! I forgot about the noise outside!.> "Misato, I'm telling you the truth. I don't know where Rei is at the moment. She's not here!"

"Ohhh... Well,... just make sure you're in my office in twenty minutes. I'll get a hold of Rei!"

Shinji yawned "okay" and hung up. <It's too early for this>

***********************************************

Rei was in her office at NERV. She was actually working on a project known only to her, the commander and professor Fuyutsuki. It was a mathematical problem. She had been working on it for about a week. But she kept making errors somewhere in the answer. She just wasn't sure where, she only knew that the answer that she kept achieving was wrong.

The first pilot was sitting on the floor, her knees held close to her chest as she stared at the white board that displayed the extremely long and drawn out mathematical problem when she heard...

~ring ring~

Slowly she got up, and walked to retrieve her phone off her desk. She looked at her caller ID and inwardly groaned. This was the last thing she wanted to deal with right now.

"Hello."

"Rei, I need to speak to you in my office in twenty minutes." The major commanded in an icy tone.

"Hai."

Misato wasn't taken back by Rei's quick acceptance, she new the girl never questioned orders, but she did wonder where the girl was a this time of the morning. "Rei where are you? Shinji said you weren't at your apartment."

"I am at NERV."

That was all the information the blue haired angel volunteered. No one knew about her office or her project. No one knew about the plans that Gendo had for her either. And she was not going to tell anyone.

The major knew better to ask why she was at headquarters this time of the morning. "Twenty minutes, Rei" she reminded about the time of their meeting.

Rei did not respond, for she had already said she was going to be there. She did not see the need to repeat herself.

Misato waited for her response then realized that she wasn't going to get one and hung up.

*************************************

Shinji had actually made it to the major's office in about fifteen minutes. Unlike his old apartment, Rei lived only one block from a NERV entrance. While he waited for the major to arrive, he sat on the floor outside of her office, brought his knees to his chest, rested his arms on his knees and his head on his arms. The third child was beyond tired, because he used so much energy to clean his new apartment the day before and it being so early. It wasn't long before Misato arrived.

"Come on in Shinji!" she commanded angrily as she unlocked the door to her office. The boy slowly followed.

He stood somewhat at attention, as he waited for her to discuss the Asuka situation. With his head tilted to the side in a tired fashion he asked "So what do you want to know?"

She narrowed her eyes and took a seat at her desk "Let's just wait until your little girlfriend joins us." The major glanced at her watch. Rei had one more minute.

Shinji was too tired to even blush at her comment. He just made smacking sounds with his mouth in a tired fashion.

At exactly twenty minutes, Rei walked through the major's door.

The mere sight of her brought Shinji out of his sleepy stupor and he smiled stupidly to himself. He was happily surprised when he saw her. He knew that she was going to be here, but he didn't expect her to be dressed the way she was. He had never seen her in anything but a school uniform or a plug suit.

She wore faded, light blue, hip hugger jeans and a long sleeved, fitted, white T-shirt that hugged against her perky breast, flat stomach and perfectly curved slender waist. *Now* he was blushing. She looked so sexy to him. The shirt stopped about an inch from the rim of her pants, so he was able to see an inch of her skin. The third child didn't know why, since he'd seen her naked and she slept in only her underwear... but seeing that little bit of skin was really turning him!

Misato noticed his reaction to Rei's presence. She also took note that in all the years Shinji lived with her, she had never seen him react that way to either Asuka or her. The major turned her gaze to Rei and watched the girl with a passive glare. She wasn't as surprised to see Rei in causal clothes. Over the past year, the girl usually wore them when she came to NERV on the weekends.

Rei walked over to Shinji and stood beside him and stared expectantly at her commanding officer.

"Who would like to explain what happened on Thursday and Friday?" Misato's tone was sharp. She was pissed at both of them.

Shinji looked at his feet. He knew that tone, and he really didn't want to be on the receiving end of it. Rei looked at her passively. She was unafraid.

The first child's unremorseful look infuriated the major. In all honesty, she didn't care that the second and third child were no longer dating. She could see how miserable Shinji was. And only a part of her was upset that Shinji was now with Rei, but that was a personal war. What made her angry was how they went about starting their relationship. For them to go behind Asuka's back and cheat was ... disgusting.

"Rei, would you like to explain?"

Rei answered in her usual calm tone. "I have already explained to the situation to the commander."

Shinji whipped his gaze at his roommate. <I _did_ not_ know_ that> Actually, he didn't want his dad to know. He knew how possessive his dad was over Rei. So the pilot actually thought his dad would not allow him to stay with her. His shock now turned to joy, he was glad that he was wrong about his dad.

Misato grit her teeth at Rei's answer. "Would you mind explaining it to me?"

Rei blinked. <yes I do *mind* I've already told the commander about it.> "On Thursday night, Pilot Ikari was at my residence. When it became late, he was afraid to walk home alone in the neighborhood I resided in. So I allowed him to sleep on my floor."

Misato was not expecting to hear that. "Oh... what was he doing there?"

Rei continued "He walked me home. We then played tunks... which is a card game."

"I know the game Rei, just continue."

"We then studied for a test that we were supposed to take on that Friday. That is why he was at my quarters."

Katsuragi looked over at the boy. "Is that true, Shinji?" She gave him a skeptical expression. "You were too scared to go home?"

Rei answered. "That is what he told me. That is why I allowed him to stay."

Shinji inwardly deflated at her answer.

The major looked at the girl. "Ok.. what about Friday? Start with the fight at school."

"I informed Pilot Souyru that Ikari-kun stayed at my apartment. She became upset and challenged me to a fight. I accepted the challenge."

"That's not how I heard it." Unsatisfied with the first pilots answer, she looked at Shinji "Would you care to give it a go?"

The pilot of unit 01 swallowed hard then spoke "Rei told you the truth. She informed Asuka... and then she tried to attack Rei..."

Misato took note that Shinji was indeed on a first named bases with the first pilot. <just like Asuka said> "And then what happened?" she asked knowingly.

"...I stopped her. That's when Rei accepted Asuka's challenge and told me to let her go. After that Asuka backed down and..." he couldn't finish is sentence without a smile, "ended the relationship." His smile got bigger.

Misato glanced at the delicate and gentle looking blue haired girl. She just couldn't believe that *she* could make Asuka back down. She glared at Shinji. "But by then, you already knew that you were moving out ..."

"No!!" he said defensively.

"Oh really? Then why did Rei say something about you being with her that night?"

"I was taunting Asuka." Rei quickly informed. "I wanted her to know how unpleasant it felt to be teased."

Katsuragi rubbed her temples. She wasn't mad at them anymore. She knew that they were telling the truth. She could also see how Asuka blew the whole situation of them being together that night out of proportion.

"Continue... Tell me how Shinji came to live with you." she said to both of them, but no one in particular.

Rei glanced at Shinji; she could tell that he had no desire to speak, so she answered "He was afraid. He asked me to allow him to stay at my apartment for his own safety. I agreed.. for his safety."

The third child's shoulders slumped dejectedly. He couldn't believe his ears. <that's why you allowed me to live with you, Rei.... that's the only reason?..... can't you see that .. that *I* wanted to be with you and ... that I...> He was brought out of his thoughts by Misato's voice.

"Is that true Shinji? You moved out because you were afraid of what Asuka was going to do to you?"

He scratched the back of his head and looked at Rei and admitted, "Well that's only part of the reason.."

Rei passively looked at her roommate <if that was only part of the reason... what is the rest?> Inwardly she began to smile and fought the urge to hope that it was for her. She didn't want to be disappointed if it wasn't.

"Would you mind filling me in to the other part of your reason?" Misato asked knowingly.

Shinji glanced again at his roommate and blushed heavily. He was about to admit his true reason to both of them...

But was interrupted by Dr. Akagi. "What's going on in here?" she asked curiously as she entered the major's office.

Misato looked over at her friend. "Shinji and Rei are now roommates."

The doctor almost choked to death on her coffee. "*cough* What?"

"The children here are now living alone together,... at Rei's apartment."

<this is *not* happening!!> Akagi looked at both the pilots. "Does the commander know about this?"

Shinji smirked and answered "Yes."

His response to the question surprised both the doctor and the major. Shinji never smiled when it came to his father.

Ritsuko raked her hand over her face. "What about Asuka?.. does she know?"

Shinji was about to answer no when the major answered.

"Yes, Asuka knows."

Now it was the pilot's turn to be surprised. Though Shinji clearly expressed his shock, Rei took the news with a controlled passiveness.

Since she couldn't read Rei's response, the major gave her ex-roommate a superior expression. "Did you honestly think that by not telling us where you were now living, she wouldn't put one and one together and come up with Rei?" She could tell by his facial expression that that was exactly what he was *at least* hoping, <idiot>

The doctor was staring at Rei. <this is *not* happening>

Rei was becoming tired of the inconvenience of this conversation. This was not considered NERV official business and she felt that she should no longer have to stay. She had real business and work to take care of. "Will that be all Katsuragi-san?"

"No Rei, I have a few more questions for both of you." She took a deep breath. "Do either of you know how much you hurt Asuka?"

<hurt?... I didn't realize the demon had feelings> Shinji didn't verbally answer.

<do I look like I care?> Rei didn't verbally answer either.

"I didn't think so ." The major looked at her ex-roommate. "Shinji, Asuka may not have been good at showing it, but she really loved you... *loves* you."

The third child was taken aback by that. "I... I didn't know." He looked guilty at his feet.

Rei glanced at him through her peripheral. She could tell that he was visibly shaken by Misato's words. Though she gave no outward appearance, her heart was breaking to see Shinji react that way. It looked like he was thinking of leaving her and going back to Asuka. Rei inwardly sighed, to give herself strength to bare his up coming decision. She was just thankful that she didn't allow herself to get her hopes up about a future relationship and kept the idea of their rooming together platonic. She didn't know if she could handle being rejected by him again.

The doctor was grateful for the young Ikari's response. <maybe he'll go back to where he belongs>

Misato was grateful too. She felt that now that he knew Asuka's true feelings about him, he would go back to her and everything could go back to the way it was.

Shinji looked at the purpled haired woman. "I... didn't know that Asuka loved me... she never said it to me.... nor did she act like it...."

"Well she does, Shinji." the major added encouragingly.

Rei felt like she was going to be sick, but did not outwardly show it. <he's going to leave me>

The doctor looked hopefully at he boy.

Shinji continued "Misato... Even though you say Asuka loves me... and maybe she does, but I never knew that she did because... Asuka doesn't know what it means to love someone.... I don't think she even likes herself .. so how could she ...." He was going to go into it further, but decided not to. He didn't want to open old wounds. So he decided to say what was closer to his heart. "But even if by some miracle she did learn what it meant to love..... it wouldn't matter to me anyway... I don't love her... I don't think I ever did.."

Rei smiled, despite her upbringing to control outward expression. Which meant that she was *very* happy by his confession.

The doctor and the major were too shocked to comment.

Since his commanding officers weren't speaking, Shinji turned to Rei and asked. "Do you want to go home?"

She nodded and walked out of the office with him. She knew that she had work to do, but for some reason she couldn't explain, she knew that it was very important to walk back to the apartment with him at that moment.

The doctor watched the two teens walk away and toward one of the main exits. Shinji was staring at Rei in a type of love created awed worship. Rei of course, did not notice the way he looked at her. Just like she never notices the loving fatherly glances Gendo always bestowed on her. <she's got both of them wrapped around her little finger!!!!!!!!>

Misato was still in shock by Shinji's answer. <Asuka going to kill me for telling him....>

*******************************************

"You look very pretty." Shinji admitted as he open the door to their apartment.

Rei blushed and walked in after he opened the door for her. She kicked off her shoes and walked bare foot to her bed.

Shinji lagged behind and watched her. He loved the way she looked in regular clothes. "How come I've never seen you dress like this before?"

She gave him a confused glance, but then understood his meaning. "It is because you only see me at school or at work.. which is also on school days."

"Oh.. but when you don't go to school.. you're still dressed in your uniform."

She narrowed her eyes playfully at him. "Just because I do not attend the classes, does not mean that I did not intend to go to school, Ikari-kun."

Shinji laughed at her answer. She looked so innocent when she confessed the reason of her illegal behavior. He walked toward the kitchen. "Are you hungry?" He opened the fridge only to reveal one jar of grape jelly. He didn't even bother with the counters. He now remembered that there was only a half loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter.

"No" she answered. "Why, are you?"

"Kinda.. but there's nothing to eat."

She got off the bed and joined him in the tiny kitchen. "You do not like peanut butter and jelly Ikari-kun?"

"Not really." he admitted.

"Then we must go shopping to get you food that you do like." She gave him a warm smile and headed for the door. She quickly slipped on her white sneakers and called out "Are you coming?"

He walked out of the kitchen and stared at her. "Rei, I don't have any money to buy food. I'm going to have to wait for payday."

"But that is on Friday? How will you survive until then without nourishment?"

"I'll just eat my meals at NERV."

Rei stared at him for about a 15 seconds. "Shinji.."

He smiled at her use of his name.

"We share shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, mouthwash ,and at one time, even a toothbrush..."

Shinji stomach churned at the memory of *why* he had to use her toothbrush.

She continued "Sharing food is not a problem. Anyway, the reason you are out of money is because you bought cleaning supplies for our apartment."

His smile broaden at her use of *our apartment* "Ok Rei-chan you've convinced me. Lets go and get some groceries." He stiffen when he realized what he called her.

She smiled warmly and turned to leave.

He then smiled too, and quickly put his shoes to follow her. <yes this is going to work out... Rei, my love, you don't know this yet, but you're going to be the next Mrs. Ikari>

*****************************

At the 24hr everything store.

Shinji and Rei had just left the home improvement section. They had to get a rolling cart so they could push all the food they were going to buy instead of carry it home.

Shinji was pushing the store's cart while Rei was dragging it behind her, when they finally arrived at the grocery section.

"So what do you want to eat?" she asked in her usually tone.

"I don't know... Let's see what the book has." Shinji opened the book he picked up while walking though the humongous store. It was on Vegetarian cuisine. "Hmmm... this looks good." Showed the picture to Rei.

She nodded.

"Ok.. since we both agree, we need some asparagus.. tofu.. lima beans..."

As he rattled off a bunch of ingredients Rei went to get them. After about fifteen minutes they had chosen a weeks worth of meals, and had a cart full of vegetables and fruits. Rei noticed this and asked..

"Don't you eat meat, Shinji?"

Of course, he smiled at her use of his name. "Umm... yeah."

"Then why didn't you pick out some *you* would like to eat?"

"I don't mind eating.."

She interrupted. "Shinji, it does not bother me that you eat meat."

"Are you sure, Rei-chan?"

She smiled at his term of endearment. "Of course not. Why would it?"

"Because *you* don't eat meat."

"Yes, that may be so, but what does that have to do with you eating meat?"

<nothing I guess> "But our place is so small... won't the smell of it cooking offend you?"

"No.... I smell cooked meat every time I eat at the cafeteria, and even now when we passed the deli. I *actually* like the smell of it, when it is cooked properly. I just do not eat it."

"Ohhhh, why?"

The first child didn't know why. She never ate it because she was told not to.. "I do not know."

Shinji looked confused by her answer.

She tried to explain. "I was told not to."

"So you've never eaten meat because you were told not to..." That sounded so stupid to him. "Who told you not to?"

"The commander." She stated absolutely and turned as walked toward the meat section.

"Oh..." The third child just stood there and watched her walk away. He knew by her tone that even if he asked her to try it, she would refuse him because it would be going against his father's orders.

Rei had her arms packed with steaks, chicken breast, lamb, and lobster tails when Shinji pulled up next to her with the carts. Both of them, since she left the one they were purchasing beside him when she went to get the meat.

"Rei, you don't have to buy all that." He took the food out of her arms and put it on the store counter. He picked up the steak. "This is way too expensive, you don't have to buy me this."

She didn't bother looking at he price. "Would it please you to eat it?"

<heck yeah> He remembered the last time he thought he was going to get a steak. Misato had promised it to them if they were successful in their mission.... He frowned as he remembered that they ended up getting ramen instead. "Rei this is too expensive.. all this stuff is." He pointed to the other grade A assortments that she picked out for him. "You can't afford this." He based his assumption on how much he got paid in his biweekly paycheck. And he knew that he could not afford this food, so she couldn't either.

"Shinji... cost is not a problem." She took the steak out of his hands and put it into the cart.

"What do you mean?" <are you telling me you get paid more than I do?>

"The commander has given me a cost of living allowance, since I live without a guardian." She put the other things she picked out in the cart as well.

He was shocked by that bit of info. "Oh!... How much?"

"500 dollars a week." She picked out some squid and some scallops and put them into the cart.

Shinji blinked hard. He didn't know how to react. He knew that she was telling the truth but... why.. would she live in such a crummy apartment, have practically no material possessions, and have no food in her apartment when she was given so much money every week?.... He shook his head in disbelief. The list seemed endless of what she could do with an allowance like that. "Rei-chan... why don't you use it?"

"I do.. I used it to buy your air bed and I'm using it to purchase the food."

"Have you ever used it before I moved in with you?"

"No."

He blinked. "Why?" He just couldn't understand why she would live they way she did if she had the means not to.

"I have no need to."

Making wild hand gestures he asked. "So you have like millions of dollars lying around because you didn't use your allowance?"

"No.. what I do not use is taken back and each week I get a new 500 dollar allowance."

Shinji sighed... If he was given an allowance like that... he'd... probably do the same thing... Only he would buy food regularly and cleaning supplies. He watched her pick out more meat for him.

They were so much alike and he knew it. The only reason he had as much stuff as he did was because Misato and Asuka would *make* him buy stuff for himself. Other than that, his room would of been just as empty as the day he came to live with the major. He and Rei were like kindred spirits... It was almost like he was born for her and she was created for him.

"Rei, I think that will be enough meat."

She looked at him and dumped her arm full into the cart. "We need to buy seasoning and the other things that will accompany the meals."

He nodded and followed her down the isles.

************************************

When they got home and they unpacked the food. They also had to buy a set of chef quality T-Fal pots and pans and other cooking utensils. She already had plates and cups, but they were in bad shape so they decided to buy some new ones, and two sets of jade chopsticks. Shinji noticed that even though Rei did not particularly care for material things, when she did want something, she had very expensive taste. She only wanted the best.

<That's probably why father gave her such a high allowance.>

The mere fact that Rei had lived alone for years and had nothing to cook with, was the deciding factor that made Shinji offer to cook. He was sure that she had no earthly or heavenly idea what to do in a kitchen.

"Are you sure?" Rei asked.

"Positive." He had enough of bad cooking to last him a life time.

He watched her pull a book out of her book bag, walk to the bed, lay down and begin reading. He then went to the now packed with food fridge and started picking out what he wanted to use for the meal. He was so excited. He was going to have real food... FRESH food!! They did *not* buy anything instant or pre-made. He looked at the Vegetarian cookbook that rested on a cook bookstand that they also bought today and started with the meal. As he prepared everything, he thought about something she said to him in the store.

<She never ate meat because she was told not too.... Hmmm..> Shinji had an idea.

*************************

They both sat across each other at the kitchen table. Shinji watched Rei expectantly as she eat her food.

"So... how do you like it?"

She took another bite of her meal and nodded. "It is very good...." She took another bite.

<I knew it... father you don't know what you're talking about> Shinji started to eat his meal. She was right it was very good.

As the first child ate, she started to feel sick. Really sick. And this was a strange sensation, seeing that she can't remember ever being physically sick a day in her life. She looked at her food and poked at it with her chopsticks... <what _is_ that?> She looked up from her plate and at her roommate. "Shinji.."

He happily looked at her and answered "Hmmm?"

She was about to ask about her food, but couldn't get it out. She felt the insides of her body that was once excepting the food, go into reverse... she was going to throw up... She slapped her hands over her mouth and ran to the bathroom.

Shinji just sat there totally stiff. Once again Rei was suffering because of something he did. He could hear her violently throwing up in toilet.

When he did go to the bathroom, he saw her leaned over the sink and drinking the water from the faucet. She swished it around her mouth then spit it out.

"I'm so sorry, Ayanami."

She looked at him. She was shivering as if she were freezing and nodded absently. She took a deep breath to try and clam her stomach, but it didn't work. She threw up again this time in the sink. It splashed everywhere.

Shinji ran into the bathroom and held her hair back. It was too late. It already had vomit in it, but the thought was noble. He helped her to the toilet only seconds before she threw up again. Once she was finished, she started to cry. The pain her body was experiencing was unbearable.

This was the first time Shinji had ever seen Rei cry. He had seen her cry out in pain, but never cry. He couldn't help himself, besides his father, she was the strongest person he had ever met. He started to cry himself.

Rei heard him. <what's he crying for?.. I'm the one who's spewing out her internal organs> Just as she mentally grumbled that, she threw up again.

Shinji kneeled beside Rei as he held her hair. "I'm so sorry Rei-chan... I'm so sorry..."

She nodded, and started to heave again. But his time nothing came out of her mouth, but her body would stop going through the motions. She didn't know what was worse: actually throwing up food or the violent reaction her body was doing now. She cried harder once she stopped.

Shinji let go of her hair and tried to comfort her by rubbing her back. It was soaked with sweat. He felt her body start heaving again and nothing came out. He quickly stood up and ran to get his phone. "I'm going to call Ritsuko!"

"No!" she weakly managed to get out.

"What?... why?" He couldn't understand why she didn't want a doctor here.

She pressed her eyes shut, shook her head no violently right before she started heaving again.

"I'm calling her!" He started dialing her number.

"Shinji... please... no"

There was so much pain in her voice. He didn't want to comply to her wishes. "Why not?.. You need a doctor, Rei-chan.. She can help you."

"I...." She fought the urge to vomit. "....don't... want..." She fought it again and was breathing heavily. "the commander..."

He understood her fear. She didn't want his father to think she disobeyed him. "Don't worry Rei-chan I'll tell them I did.."

She eyes tripled their size and she shook her head even more violently. She turned her head to him. The pain of her body was clearly evident in her crimson eyes. Barely above a whisper she weakly said. "Please.... just ....trust...." She patted on her chest as a gesture to her last word. She could no longer speak; she turned her head back to the toilet and threw up for real this time.

With a dumbfounded expression Shinji watched her. <she's suffering for me....>

***************************

For over an hour he sat beside her, held her hair and watched her pray and give offerings to the porcelain gods (vomit). He had been with her for the past four days and she didn't eat that much so as he watched her, he wondered where it all came from.

After thirty more minutes, he notice that she as now still. He slowly got up to get a better look at her. She was asleep. She had passed out, with her head resting on the toilet seat. He cradled her in his arms and carried her to her bed. She was much lighter than he expected. She didn't look that much thinner than Asuka but she was about 20 pounds lighter.

<It must be because she's an angel>

He put her on her bed and sat beside her. She had always been pale but now her complexion was more of a greenish pasty looking color. Shinji brushed her bangs off her tear streaked face and cried. "I am so sorry Rei-chan."

It was hard for him to sit beside her and watch her suffer. But she was adamant about him not calling anyone to help her. He looked at the bathroom. It was now a mess. Slowly he got off Rei's bed and walked to get what he need from the pantry. He put a bucket beside her bed just in case she couldn't make it to the toilet, then went to clean the bathroom.

************************************

Rei woke up around 12am. The first thing she saw was Shinji sitting on her bed and staring at her with worried red rimed eyes.

"I'm so sorry." He cried out.

She started to speak in a whisper. "What did you put in my food?"

He hung his head guiltily. "Eggs."

She nodded. "I don't eat meat, Shinji. So why did you put egg in my food?"

*sniff* "I ...wanted you to have a choice to whether you wanted to eat it..." *sniff sniff*

She didn't understand. "I *do* choose not to eat it."

*sniff* "Yeah but that's because my father told you not to... he didn't even give you reason."

She nodded. She now understood why the rebellious Ikari put egg in her food. In a weak voice she said "Shinji... as everyone already knows, your father rarely denies me anything... so if he says I cannot do something.. it is usually in my best interest. There was no need for me to ask why.. I trust him."

Shinji nodded. Usually he would rave about how his father couldn't be trusted, but this time his father was right. Rei did not need to eat meat. "I almost killed you.." He started to cry harder.

She gently caressed his cheek with the backs of her fingers, and slowly got up.

He looked up at her. *sniff* "Rei-chan, you should rest."

"I am alright, Shinji." She stood up an weakly walked to the bathroom. "I need to brush my teeth and wash my hair." The smell of both was about to make her through up again.

He turned his head away when she started undressing. He touched his face where she caressed him. He knew that by that gentle gesture she forgave him.

***********************************************

I still don't own anything that deals with Evangelion