Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ So Happy Together ❯ chapter 10 ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
So Happy Together




The lunch bell had just rang..

<thank gawd> Shinji was starving. He missed breakfast this morning because he was trying to convince his Rei-chan into coming to school. Too bad he was unsuccessful in his attempts, for she still wasn't there. Now, he was more than ready for lunch. For the last hour, he honestly didn't think he was going to make it till lunch. He was sure he was going to die from starvation.

As most of the students left the classroom, the third child quickly pulled up the top of his flip top desk to get his bentoo .. only to remember he forgot it on the kitchen counter..

He pulled his hand away and let the wooden top of his desk fall shut.

~BAM~

Kensuke quickly spun around to see what was wrong with his friend. The loud noise of the desk top slamming shut scared the crap out of him.

"What's up Shin-man?" Aida asked as he walked away from his own desk and back to his friend.

Shinji looked like he was in a daze. "I forgot my lunch...."

In an irritated fashion, Aida's brow furrowed. "Is that all?"

The third pilot's stomach growled loudly and painfully. "What do you mean is that all?.. I'm starving and I forgot my lunch!"

Aida rolled his eyes and pretended to play a violin. "Do you want some cheese with that whine?"

Shinji knew his friend was trying to be funny but he was so hungry he answered "Yes."

Aida laughed at his friend's plight. "Come on, and let's go to the roof. Everyone's going to be waiting for us."

Shinji crossed his arms, rested them on his desk and buried his head in them and muffled. "I'm not going up to the roof..."

"Why not?"

<baka do you really have to ask!!> "I don't want to watch everyone else eat, while I'm sitting there starving...."

Kensuke sighed playfully. "Come on... Shin-man, you know I'll share my food with you."

The third child raised his head a bit so his eyes peered over is arms. The offer was appealing... sort of. Kensuke was one of those people who mixed all kinds of weird things together in his food. "Whatya got?"

"The Aida Variety pack!!" Kensuke said proudly and held out his bentoo toward the pilot.

The third child winced and his stomach did flip flops as he thought about what was in his friend's bentoo. He'd seen the Aida Variety pack before. <disgusting> "No thanks, man"

"Fine then...." Kensuke scoffed, "starve"

"I'd rather starve than die of food poisoning" Shinji grumbled to himself and buried his head in his arms again.

Aida narrowed his eyes playfully at his friend and sat in back at his desk.

Shinji peered over his arms again. "Aren't you going to the roof to eat with everyone else?"

"Naw.. I'll stay and eat with you." He turned around and straddled his seat so he could face his friend and opened his lunch box. "Trust me, I'd rather stay here and watch you starve then watch Touji and Hikari pawn all over each other." He plopped something indescribable in him mouth then continued speaking. "Or listen to Asuka griped about everyone and everything while reminding everyone how great she is."

Shinji nodded knowingly and buried his head once again in his arms. <I'm sooooo hungry>

After about ten minutes, Touji, Hikari, and Asuka came into the classroom.

"So there you are, Shinji no Baka." Asuka flirted in the only way she knew how.

Shinji inwardly groaned. His hunger was making him feel sick, as so was the smell of Aida's food. He did *not* want to deal with her pitiful excuse of an attempt to show affection.

Asuka stood on one side of Shinji's desk while Hikari and Touji stood on the other side.

Suzuhara stared at his two friends. "What's up? How come you guys didn't come to eat with us?"

With a mouth full of food, Kensuke answered. "Shinji forgot his lunch..."

"So.." Asuka interrupted. "What does that have to do with anything?"

Hikari glared at Asuka then looked at the third pilot with sympathy. "We'll share our food with you, Shinji." Then gave Asuka a look that said ...this may be the chance you've been waiting for to get him back!!!

Asuka read her friend's face loud and clear. Her eyes began to sparkle with hope. Hope that she and Shinji will be getting back together and to the way they were before Wonder girl ruined their relationship.

Touji saw nonverbal conversation between the two girls and rolled his eyes. He also mentally laughed <too late you little red haired demon... hahaha you lost to Rei>

Shinji looked up at his friend's girlfriend. "Are you sure you won't mind sharing your food with me?"

"Of course I don't!" Asuka chimed in before Hikari could answer.

Shinji felt all his insides tighten as he turned his head toward his *ex* "Umm thanks anyway, Asuka. I'm not that hungry" And as if fate was playing a cruel joke on him, his stomach growled loudly and painfully.

The second pilot watched her most wanted desire double over in pain "Anta Baka!!" She shoved her bentoo in his face. "Stop being so damn stubborn and eat!"

Shinji pushed her food aside. "It's okay Asuka.. I'll live..."

"Oh are you saying you'll die if you eat my food?!!" She growled and put her hands on her hips "It's not poisoned you know!"

"Yeah, but he's tasted your cooking, remember.." Touji teased and laughed out. "He probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference!"

Aida choked on his food as he laughed. Hikari hit her boyfriend on the arm, and Asuka spewed out a couple of German curses.

Shinji felt too sick to even care about what was going on or being said around him. He was almost tempted to eat her food. Then shook that thought out of his head. The third child knew that no matter what.. he couldn't. It would give Asuka the wrong idea. Like it did every other time he tried to be nice to her, or when he accepted something that was freely given from her. He had almost five months to learn this lesson. And he learnt it and learnt it well. He'd rather starve than go through it again. When his stomached growled again, he rest his head against the desk and was somewhat calmed by its coolness against his cheek.

"Shinji!" Asuka practically yelled at her fellow pilot as she pushed her bentoo in his face again. "Just eat the damn food!!"

"That will not be necessary, pilot Souyru." said a sweet calm voice from behind.

Shinji sat straight up in his seat with a vigor that was impossible a few seconds before.

Rei was standing behind Asuka with a paper bag in one hand and his bentoo in the other. She held it out to him "You forgot this."

He quickly got up and purposely caressed her hand as he gingerly took his lunch box from her. "Thanks, Rei-chan."

Asuka's face contorted in a fury of anger. <Rei-chan?!!!!!! He @&%&ing calls her Rei-chan!!! >

Hikari noticed her best friend's disposition. The class rep knew that Shinji addressed the first child as Rei-chan. Touji told her about it months ago. Hikari just never told Asuka. She knew that Shinji never called Asuka *chan* so she kept it a secret, not wanting her friend to get her feelings hurt. As she watched her friend get more furious by the second, she now realized that doing so was a ... bad mistake.

Touji and Aida weren't paying attention to Asuka's little tantrum. They were too busy watching the two love birds.

Rei smiled at Shinji. She noticed his hands lingering on hers while he took his bentoo from her. So she did not pull her hand away too quickly. After he completely took it from her, she turned to leave.

"Hey, were are you going?" Kensuke called out before Shinji could utter a word. However, the pilot was thinking the same thing.

Rei did not respond, she just kept walking toward the door.

Asuka calmed a bit as she watched her rival leave. She felt with Rei gone, she still had a chance with Shinji. That is, until Shinji placed his bentoo on his desk and ran after Rei. Needless to say, the second child was furious!

Before she was completely out of the door, Shinji grabbed Rei's hand and stopped her escape. Rei's eyes widened as she turned around. She couldn't believe that Shinji was actually making a move on her in public.

The third child was also shocked by what he just did. It was like he reacted without thinking. As he watched his beloved slowly turn around so he could see her beautiful face... he knew he did the right thing. He was ready to announce to everyone that they were dating. He didn't know, exactly, why he wasn't afraid or feeling shy about making the upcoming announcement. Maybe it was Rei. She always seemed to give him the strength to overcome his fears.... Even when they met for the first time...

He smiled at her. She smiled back.

"Please don't leave." Shinji whispered to his beloved.

She glanced toward Asuka then back to him.

He didn't bother to follow her gaze, instead he shook his head and softly said. "I don't care."

She gave him a warm smile and nodded. Hand in hand they walked back to his desk.

"This is not happening!" Asuka growled as she stomped her foot and yelled "This is not $%&ing happening!!!!"

In fear, Shinji held Rei's hand a little tighter. Rei in turn gave him a reassuring squeeze, which immediately calmed him.

Asuka stormed over to the couple. She glared at the first child. "So I guess you won!!"

Rei didn't respond she just stared calmly at her second pilot.

That infuriated the second child even more. She hated Rei because she could never intimidate her. So she shifted her gaze to someone who's will she could always crush. "Shinji, how dare you do this to me!!"

The third child backed up in fear. He knew that look in his *ex's* eyes. She was about to explode with assaults verbally and physically.

The red headed girl started yelling out insults in three languages, and then reared back her hand so she could smack the hell out of Shinji. "You'll regret choosing that &*^*ing doll over me, Shinji No Baka!!!"

The third child saw her hand coming toward his face, so he grit his teeth and tightly closed his eyes as he prepared for the blow...

It never came.

Rei had reached over and grabbed Asuka's hand before it could hit her beloved. And with strength that didn't look physically feasible for her, she pulled the second child in front of her. She held a tight grasp around Asuka's wrist as she twisted it and pressed on its pressure points.

The fiery red head had to fight the urge to cry out in pain.

Touji, Hikari and Kensuke's jaws hit the ground. It happened so fast...

Rei looked into Asuka's hateful glare and passively spoke in a commanding tone that only could be done by someone who was raised by Gendo Ikari. "Don't_ ever_ try that again." Her voice was still calm and little above a whisper but everyone in the classroom heard her as clear as a bell.

Hearing his Rei-chan speak, Shinji opened his eyes.. wide. His gaze, first, fell upon the second child who looked like she was fighting the urge to cry as well as cry out in pain. Then slowly his gaze turned to Rei. She stared at Asuka with a determined look on her face as she held a tight grip on the girl's wrist.

"Do we have an understanding?" Rei continued in her demand.

Asuka defiantly gave no response.

Rei's eyes narrowed and her brow furrowed slightly. Her pouty mouth turned into a full frown as she increased the pressure on Asuka's wrist. She could feel the girl's bones popping in her grasp.

Despite herself, Asuka cried out in extreme pain and fell to her knees. She hated Rei even more, for forcing her go bow down in front of her. She wanted to kill her... literally kill her.

Touji, Kensuke, Hikari and Shinji winced in fear when Rei's anger showed itself. They were afraid of the gentle looking beauty. Her disposition at the moment looked just like her guardian... Commander Ikari.

"Do we have an understanding, pilot Souyru?"

Shinji was amazed that her voice could sound like both a calm gentle breeze and have the commanding power of thunder at the same time. He also noticed that even though Asuka was writhing in pain because of the grasp Rei had on her, Shinji felt no extra pressure on the grasp Rei had on him. It was still as gentle as when he first held her hand. Rei had complete control over this situation.

Tired of her insolence, Rei increased the pressure on Asuka's wrist. She was going to force that belligerent pilot to conform if it took snapping her wrist in two.

After about ten more seconds the second child couldn't take pain or the humiliation any more. And in a soft defeated voice complied and said "Yes... I understand."

Everyone was dumbfounded. No one expected Asuka to bow down to Rei's demand.

Just to make her point clear, the first child held the second's wrist for a few more seconds then gently released her.

The second pilot refuse to soothe her aching wrist by rubbing it in front of everyone. She quickly got off her knees and glared hatefully into Rei's crimson eyes.

Rei was not intimidated. She gave the red haired girl a calm bored expression.

Asuka whipped her gaze to her *ex*. Shinji was totally shocked by what just transpired and it was written all over his face.

Asuka decided that this was the perfect opportunity to use her last ace. She hoped that the third child would finally see it and believe it as truth. "Shinji, you say you hate your father so much..." She pointed at Rei. "Who the hell do you think you're dating? She's just %%#ing like him!!!"

Shinji looked at his beloved. This was the second time in less than twenty-four hours did she remind him of his dad. He looked down at his feet. He didn't know what to think.....

A victorious smirk appeared on Asuka lips.

Rei felt like her heart was going to shatter into a million pieces. She knew that in more ways than one she was like the commander. But it was who she was.... He raised her. ... She felt Shinji's grasp on her hand loosen to a point were he almost let it go. Though no one could outwardly tell, she was sick with worry that Shinji was going to dump her.

Shinji looked over at his blue haired beauty. Though her face betrayed no emotion and looked as calm as ever, he could tell that she was worried. Worried to the point that she felt sick. How he could tell? He wasn't sure. Maybe it was the subtle, very subtle, shimmers in her crimson eyes. Or maybe it was the way her shoulders slumped about a centimeter lower than normal...

He smiled at his realization. He knew her! All these months of living with her and having such a close friendship with her gave him the chance to know her. To really know Rei Ayanami!! He could see beyond the mask that she was taught to keep up. He also knew that even though she may be mirror to his father in more ways than he would like to admit.. he loved her. So her being like his dad didn't matter... she was his soul mate...

"Asuka."

The second pilot smiled. She thought she won this round.

Shinji tightened his grasp on Rei's hand. He was feeling brave. "I don't even care if she is exactly like my father... I love her... and nothing will change that."

Rei looked over at her boyfriend. This was news to her. She knew that last night he said he liked her.. and now he loved her...

She was too confused to feel overwhelmed by the joy she felt by his confession. The commander had given her a talk.. he said it was *the talk* before she came back to school. He said that love wasn't something that hit you over night, and that most guys got lust and love confused.. So she should be careful. He also told her that what she and Shinji did last night was lustful and not how people normally expressed feeling for each other... <so maybe Shinji is confused.. > She believed the commander on the love part. She knew that she didn't love Shinji right off. She didn't even like him in the beginning because of what he said about the commander. It took time... little things he did that made her see him in a different light... And it wasn't until she sacrificed herself did she truly understand the feeling she was feeling towards him. That she loved him.

Rei was lost in her thoughts <but I still haven't told him how I feel.... I was not ready to confess my feelings last night...... could it have been the same for him?..... that he was just too afraid to tell me that he loved me last night... maybe it was because he thought it was too soon to admit it... because he didn't know how I felt? > Her thoughts were interrupted by

"Rei-chan.... Rei..."

She absently looked at Shinji.

"Ready to eat lunch?"

She quirked a brow then looked to where Asuka once stood. She second child was gone. <where'd she go?>

Shinji could tell by Rei's almost none existent gestures that she was surprised that Asuka was gone. "She left a couple of seconds ago." He admitted happily. He was glad that he could read her. He also was glad that he was able to admit his feelings for her.

She looked at him. She was surprised that he knew what she was thinking about. The first child looked away from her boyfriend and toward his friends. They looked like they were still in shock. She also noticed that Hikari was now missing as well . <she must have left to comfort the second child.>

To get her attention, Shinji gently squeezed her hand and started to lead her to his desk. As they walked together, his thoughts went back to what Asuka said about her being like his dad. But this time it did not distress him.< if Rei-chan isn't so bad... maybe... my father isn't so ...> He shook that thought out of his head. That was too far fetched to even hope for.

Because he was paying attention to his thoughts and not where he was stepping, he tripped over his book bag. As he started to fall, Rei tightened her grip on him to keep him from hurting himself. Her quick reactions in turn shifted the direction of his fall toward his seat and made her start to fall with him. With his one free hand, he as able to grab the back of his seat, turn himself around, and fall unceremoniously in his seat. Since he never let go of her hand, Rei fell into his lap.

It wouldn't have been sweeter if Shinji planed to have his beloved sit on his lap at his desk. But since he didn't, his face was now beet red... as was Rei's. The predicament they were now in, was a bit too intimate for public eyes.

Now this was the first time Kensuke or Touji ever saw Rei blush. Both boys started grinning and rubbing their hands together. <Let the teasing begin.>

Rei looked up at the two boys who were staring at her. She knew the look on their faces. They were going to tease her, embarrass her, and make her feel even more awkward about where she was sitting. She also knew that she had two options to handle this situation. She could get up, thus making Shinji feel bad about this and giving those two hentais more ammunition to tease them about. Or she could stay were she was, and act as if she was comfortable with the whole thing; thus eliminating the reason to tease them. She turned a bit and looked into her love's dark blue eyes.

<oh no... she probably feels it!!.... she's going to think I'm a pervert!.. oh wait she already knows I am... but now she's really going to think I am!!> Shinji was totally freaked out. He was hoping that she couldn't feel how happy one part of his body was reaction to her being on his lap.

By looking at him, Rei knew there was only one thing to do. She... opened her paper lunch bag, pulled out her peanut butter and jelly sandwich and started eating.

Touji and Kensuke's jaw hit the ground. They just knew that Rei was going to jump out of Shinji's lap and call him a pervert or something else. That's what all the others girls would do.

Shinji smiled that he wasn't berated with insults for his mistake. He was glad that his Rei-chan was not like other girls. She had enough confidence in herself not to cause a scene to ensure that none of the blame was on her. She had enough self confidence not to care what others thought about her. He admired that about her. He wished that he could be more like her.

Shinji took a deep breath in a failed attempt to suppress his raging hormones, then leaned forward and grabbed his bentoo on his desk. He was surprised when it felt warm.

She smiled at him. "I cooked you lunch." Then started eating her sandwich again.

"Arigato, Rei-chan!" The third child gave her a big @$$ grin and practically ripped off the top on his lunch box. He plopped a tempura scallop in his mouth and moaned dreamily. "Mmmmmmm....... This is sooo good!"

Rei couldn't help herself from blushing again. His moan did not sound proper. Especially since she was sitting on his lap.

The two other boys blushed too.

"Uhh... Shin-man?"

Shinji looked up at his friend as he shoveled his food in his mouth.

Aida continued. "So what's up with you two?" He gestured to how they comfortably sat in an intimate way in public.

Rei didn't respond, she just kept eating her food.

So with a mouth full of food Shinji answered. "We're dating. I told you that already." He shoveled more food in his mouth.

"Yeah, but... Even Hikari-chan and I are not that comfortable with each other in public."

Everyone gave Suzuhara a skeptical look. Even Rei.

Touji sheepishly rubbed the back of his head. "Ok maybe we are..."

<Maybe> Everyone gave him an even more skeptical expression.

"Ok fine... sheesh" Suzuhara rolled his eyes. "But it took time.."

<time.. that's what the commander said..> Rei thought as she continued to eat her food.

Shinji swallowed hard to push down the large amount of food he had in his mouth. He was about to say something then was interrupted by Kensuke.

"Man, they've been living together for almost five months, in a one room apartment!" He sat back at his desk and returned to his food then gave the two a libidinous smirk. "I'm sure that they had time to be very comfortable with each other."

Rei choked on her food. Shinji glared at his friend, and Touji and Aida laughed. Loudly.

"I'm just kidding, Rei." Aida sighed in mirth, with a mouth full of food. "I'm sorry."

Touji took his seat beside Shinji's desk and opened his bentoo and laughed out. " Rei, don't mind him. He's an idiot..." Then started to eat.

"Me?" Aida said with mock hurt.

"You're both idiots!" Shinji teased then looked up at his beloved. "But you'll get used to them."

<what?> Rei did not outwardly respond. She didn't realize that accepting Shinji into her life, she had to accept so many others as well.

Shinji laughed. He read the shimmers in her eyes, and lovingly whispered "I love you."

<maybe this won't be so bad> Rei smiled warmly at her love and nodded. For some reason she still wasn't ready to say those words.

"Ohhhh they're so sweet.." Touji said in a girlie voice, tilted his head to the side and cupped, his cheeks in his hands. "I think I'm getting cavities!"

Shinji and Aida choked on their food as they laughed. The third child looked up at Rei. She didn't laugh but he could tell by how she slowly blinked her eyes and her other subtle gestures that she was cracking up on the inside. He loved that he could see past the mask.

It wasn't long before the boys noticed how good Shinji's food looked and smelled.

"You made that Rei?" Aida asked as she stretched his neck to see what else the third child had in his bentoo. "It sure looks good!"

She nodded.

"It tastes even better!" Shinji stated proudly as he stuffed his face.

"Then share the wealth." Touji commented.

<what?> Shinji's chopsticks stopped inches from his mouth.

"Yeah share... I was going to share my food with you!" Aida added in.

Shinji rolled his eyes and his shoulder slumped in defeat. He did *not* want to share his food.

Rei looked at her boyfriend, she knew that not even a natural disaster would make Shinji willingly share his meal. "Is that true Shinji? Aida was going to share his food with you?"

"Yes.. but..." He tried to give her puppy dog eyes "But I didn't eat any of it" He could tell that Rei was going to make him share his food. <pleeeaaase don't make me share my food!!!>

It didn't work. When she was five years old, the commander *erased* someone in front of her. The guy begged and pleaded for his life. Since then, pleas and puppy dog faces did not affect her.... but then again.... <Shinji.. you are my weakness> She looked at the two boys and said. "If you leave your bentoo with me, I will make your lunches along with Shinji's tomorrow."

"Sure!" Kensuke quickly finished up his food and handed his bentoo to Rei.

Touji put his hand up. "That's ok, Hikari-chan makes my lunch. I don't think she'll appreciate it if someone else did it for me." <especially you >

She nodded. She understood completely.

"Are you sure you don't mind, Rei-chan?" Shinji asked .

Rei thought about. Did she mind? No, she didn't. She actually liked cooking. She was good at it, and chopping everything up with her knives helped her release pent up aggression. "I wouldn't have offered if it did."

Shinji smiled warmly. He had a good feeling that Rei and his friends were going to get along. She didn't know how much they already liked her. And they already liked her a lot. She also didn't know that when she was gone, she was the one who the third child talked about all the time with his friends, so they already knew a lot about her.

They had about one minute of their lunch break left. Rei bagged the rest of her sandwich and put Kensuke's bentoo in her book bag.

Shinji let out a relieved sigh when Rei got up. <I am soo glad she didn't feel it> until he noticed her absently rub the upper portion of her thigh.

<I'm going to have a bruise there, I know it> She turned to face her love as she sat at her desk and playfully narrowed he eyes and shook her head.

<she felt it!.... the whole time, she knew!!!!!!> Shinji turned beet red and crossed his arms over his desk and buried his head in them in embarrassment. <she thinks I'm a pervert!!>

Luckily for the third pilot, Touji and Kensuke attention was on Asuka storming back into classroom.

Asuka glared at Rei. Rei in turn paid no attention to the second child.

<Wonder girl, you've won this round but Shinji will be mine!! *I* may not be able to harm you, but trust me you little %*^ you'll get yours soon enough!!>

When Hikari walked into the classroom she looked at her friend then gave a nervous glance toward Rei, as if she knew something that might hurt the blue haired angel.

Touji noticed what his girlfriend did, and took note to find out what that was all about.

Kensuke's attention was no longer on his circle of friends. His attention was on the object of his affections. His secret affections that is...

Rei took note to the direction of Aida's gaze, then turned her gaze to the window.

Shinji was still hiding his face in embarrassment.

It wasn't long before the teacher walked into the classroom and all returned to its normal boring order.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I still don't know own anything Evangelion