Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ So Happy Together ❯ chapter 24 ( Chapter 23 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
So Happy Together




"Why the hell are you here?!" Kensuke spat out as he crossed his arms and stood possessively in front of the slightly ajar door.

"I could ask you the same thing!" Asuka shot back. She didn't want to reveal her reason for being at the third child's apartment to her most hated stooge. For her reason for being there was to seduce Shinji into going back with her.

"I'm Shin-man's best friend. I have the right to be here!" He gave her an arrogant expectant look. "And what are *you* to him?... NOTHING... just his *EX* which is *worse* than nothing!" He laughed triumphantly when her face contorted in anger.

She spewed out curses in three languages as she pushed on the door to try and get passed him. But Aida quickly maneuvered his foot behind the door making it an impenetrable wall.

With his arms crossed, he laughed arrogantly at her futile efforts.

Shinji could hear his friend and his *ex* yelling at each other, so he quickly gathered the rest of his stuff. His key card, NERV card, and a clean set of clothes to wear after he showered, were stuffed into an empty book bag. But before he made his way to the front of his apartment, he looked at his wedding certificate that was matted and framed above his and Rei's bed. He touched his lips with his fingers and blew a gentle kiss toward it and ran towards the door.

Shinji quickly slipped on his shoes right when Asuka punched a laughing Aida squared between the eyes and burst through the door.

"Oh Shinji!" she said in a surprised manner. The second child almost ran into him.

The third child had a surprised look of his own. "Asuka...?" Actually, it was more of a look fear. Pure unadulterated fear. He quickly put his hands in his pants pockets and hoped that she didn't notice his ring.

She smiled sweetly, oblivious to how uncomfortable she was making the pilot. "I just came by to make sure you're ok." She lied. "You've missed so many days."

The third child swallowed hard and lied too. "That's because Rei's home and...."

"Oh" she interrupted in an angry growl.

Kensuke had a big @$$ grin as listened to the two and he soothed the spot between his eyes.

Shinji took a step forward, purposely blocking the second child's view of his wedding certificate. He gestured with his right hand for everyone to leave. "Thanks for coming and checking up on me, Asuka. But I'm sorry. I was just leaving."

"Oh" she said solemnly. "Where are you going?"

"None of your damn business!" Aida snapped at the same exact time the pilot reluctantly admitted NERV. Unlike Touji who's mouth was somewhat tamed by Hikari, no one had tamed Kensuke.

Asuka's head whipped to the boy. "Why are you still here?"

"Why am *I* here?" Kensuke blinked like ten times. He looked as if couldn't believe those words actually came out of her mouth. "Why the hell are *you* here?!"

Asuka was about to retort, but was interrupted by Shinji. "Come on guys. I don't have time for this." He walked forward forcing the other two to walk out the door. With his right hand, he closed the door behind him, then walked in between the two archenemies down the hall and steps.

When they got out of the building, Asuka turned to the right and Shinji and Aida turned to the left.

"Where are you two bakas going?" she growled curiously. "The only NERV entrance on this side of town is this way!" She pointed to the right.

"Then you go that way!" Aida spat out.

Shinji said absolutely nothing; he just kept his pace. Though he inwardly hoped that she *would* go that way. He did not want to be the one to break the news to Asuka about he and Rei's 'promise.'

The second child narrowed her eyes at her most hated stooge, and changed her direction. When she caught up with the pilot, she pouted cutely. "Shin-chan are you going to let him talk to me like that?" Asuka decided to take a new approach when it came to her beloved. She figured that Shinji must like the *doll* because he saw the need to protect her. So she would give Shinji that same illusion.

Ikari and Aida looked at the girl as if they didn't know her, then returned their gaze before them.

The third child said as he quickened his pace "You've never needed for me to take up for you before....."

Her features darkened a bit. <I bet you'd take up for Wonder girl!>

Kensuke laughed at the second child's unhappy disposition.

"Would you shut the hell up, Kensuke!" she screamed. "Why are you even tagging along? It's not like you can even get in NERV!!"

The hacker shrugged. Before Rei gave him a position in her sector that remark would have hurt him. Now, he knew it was only a matter of time before he would be authorized to go in.

The second child narrowed her eyes with angry curiosity when she noticed that her cheep shot didn't affect the boy.

Shinji tried to ignore the two as he quickened his pace once again.

"Where was Rei anyway?" Asuka asked with mock interest.

Shinji shrugged. "She went somewhere with my dad."

"Why does *she* always get to go places!" the second child yelled jealously. "It's not fair! He should take one of us! I'm the *best* pilot, but......" She paused and smirked. "You're his son. So he should take *you* instead of always taking Wonder girl!"

"They have more in common... That's probably why he takes her and not one of us." Shinji said knowingly and without a shred of jealously. He knew that his words rang true, but he also secretly knew Rei's rank at NERV. That was the main reason his father always took the first child. She was his protégée.

Asuka's features darkened once again. <what?!!... it used to be so easy to make him jealous and get him to turn against that f*cking doll>

Aida snickered because he knew what Asuka just tried to do. He looked at his friend's face; he could tell that Shinji wanted to get away from the red headed demon without incident. However, the third child appeared calm as he walked confidently with his hands in his pockets.

The third child looked calm, but he felt weird. Mentally, he was terrified of his predicament. He didn't want to be the one who broke the news to Asuka. He was terrified of how she would react. But that was only a mental fear; his body had a euphoric type of calm. It was an eerie calm that kept his fears from outwardly expressing themselves. And he wondered where he was getting this inner strength.

*********************************************

In an undisclosed location, Rei Ikari laid on the floor in a metal room that had no widows, and no furniture. It had absolutely nothing, but a toilet and a sink. She had been in that room since the Wednesday she called her kioshii-otto. And because the room didn't have AC, it was hot in there. Very hot, about 120 degrees. If she were human, she would have already died of a heat stroke. But she wasn't human, she was an angel. A 100% angel... and.... she was dying.

However, the first child didn't know that, for she thought she was feeling better. Yes, better than she had felt in a long time. She was in a nirvana of calmness. No fears of failure, no pains of hunger, for she hadn't eaten in two days. The searing metal floor was no longer burning her. Actually, the room seemed cooler, or maybe it was she who felt cooler, she wasn't sure. She was no longer thinking rationally.

"Rei, stop resisting."

Slowly she shifted her gaze to the left corner of the ceiling and stared at the intercom. She didn't respond. She didn't have the strength. If she did have the strength, she would have repeated the same thing she had said for the past two days. "I'm not resisting."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In a control room, Gendo watched his daughter in law. She looked like she was knocking on death's door. She was suffering from a severe heat stroke, for the room she was in was hot enough to be a crematorium.

They were in the country of Arizona. Before the 2nd impact, when it was a state in the now disbanded United States of America, it was already a hot place to live. But now that the ozone was depleted over most the world, it was a miserably hot place to even visit, so no one ever did. That was why it was chosen as the spot for this particular part of the Tojiru project. Its harsh conditions and seclusion made it perfect.

Hotter than hell was what Rei said when she got off the air conditioned jet and stepped into the searing heat. Gendo felt that if there was any truth to her statement, then he better do some repenting before he *let* death take him.

Gendo was in a white polo shirt and khaki shorts (and no gloves) as he watched Rei struggle to breathe. The room constructed to force her to completely utilize her S2 organ seemed more like sarcophagus to him now. The commander had decided that their calculations were wrong. They had chosen this location because the conditions were perfect to force her to stop living off the reserve of her powers and rely fully on her S2 organ. It was a last resort. A necessary means to an end, because Rei didn't know how to tap into her powers. But now, he wanted to abort this part of the plan. She was going to die and the full use of her powers wouldn't be worth a red yin if she died. Moreover, he would never forgive himself if she died. She was his *little girl*

"Rei."

She didn't respond.

"Rei." His tone was clam but laced with desperation. He hadn't gotten a response from her within the last ten minutes.

She didn't respond.

"We're going to abort." the commander informed in his usual cold impartial tone; even though, he was consumed with fear that he was already too late.

A weak "No" was her response.

Relived that she was alive, the commander grit his teeth in anger. She was so stubborn. <can she not see that she's dying!!!> "Then stop resisting!!" he growled calmly. He glanced at the clock; it was almost 8 am. He knew she wouldn't survive another high noon. He wasn't sure if she would survive another 10 minutes.

Her retort was mental. <I am not resisting>

"Oh but you are, little one....." said an ominous gentle voice.

After a slow blink of her crimson eyes, she spoke to the familiar voice in a raspy whisper. "Kaworu...?"

***************************************

Yes Kaworu, that's who Shinji was reminded of as he walked with his hands in his pockets. He smiled to himself and shook his head <I wonder why I'm thinking of him?> His guilt for what he did wasn't as bad as it once was, since he knew that his friend was happy in heaven, although he did still feel bad about his actions.

"Shin-man?" Aida called for the second time.

Shinji left his thoughts and looked at his friend.

"Tell the b*tch to run along and leave us alone."

"Sorry to break this to you, Baka, but Shinji doesn't swing that way!" Asuka yelled arrogantly.

"He doesn't swing your way either!" Aida shot back spitefully. "And for your information I have a girlfriend!!"

"Yeah right! Who would want to go out with a pervert like you?" she yelled back, purposely ignoring the first part of his retort.

"Who would want to go out with a *psycho* like you!" Kensuke yelled back with even more venom.

Asuka paled.

Shinji noticed this and then gave a disappointed glance at Kensuke. Everyone knew that Asuka was sensitive about her mental state. She fought everyday to keep her sanity, for she was deathly afraid of turning out like her mother.

Kensuke felt bad for what he said too .. sorta.. kinda.. NOT! He finished his comeback. "Not Shinji! He's *promised* to *Ayanami*!!"

Asuka stopped dead in her tracks.

"That's right you crazy b*tch!! Shinji asked Rei to marry him!!!" Aida was reveling in this cruel victory. "*Actually* Shinji was the *first* person to give his girlfriend a promise ring!"

Before the third child could stop him, Aida quickly grabbed he pilot's wrist, ripping his hand out of his pocket. The platinum ring sparkled in the sunlight. Shinji felt liked all his breath was sucked out of his lungs. He was beyond terrified.

In a feat against nature, Asuka became paler than Rei.

The world seemed to stop for the third child. He wanted to run; he wanted to hide... but all he could do was stand there and say "Oh _my_ dear_ lord!!"

******************************************

The commander was at his whit's end, though no one could outwardly tell. He glared at Aoba as if this failure was the young man's fault.

Shigeru was hating life right about now. Rei intimidated the hell out of him. The commander scared the hell out of him. And the heat of Arizona was too much to bare. In his opinion, he *was* in hell. He hated that he was the only one that accompanied the first and third commander on this part of the mission.

"This has failed. Go and get her out of there!" Gendo commanded in an angry tone.

The young man nodded and quickly got up. Before he left the room, he glance one more time at the screen. He saw something shimmer and rest on the floor beside the first child. Then it was gone. He looked at the control pad, but no anomaly was recorded. His brow furrowed quizzically.

"What the hell are you waiting for?!" the commander growled. He was loosing all his cool; his *child* was dying before his eyes.

"Yes sir! Sorry sir!" Aoba ran out the door toward the direction of the room.

Gendo returned his gaze back to the screen just as Rei's head whipped to the side as if someone hit her.

"oww" Rei yelped softly and slowly cupped and soothed her left cheek. <what the hell?>

***************************

~SLAP~

Asuka spun on her heels and ran in the opposite direction. "And I hope your f*cking doll felt that too!"

"Gawd she hits hard!" Shinji groaned as he crouched down and cradled his now very sore left cheek in his hand.

Because neither the first nor the third child knew that they were permanently synchronized, Shinji did not know that Rei shared the painful sensation of that hit.

"Tell me about it" Kensuke mumbled in agreement, as he place the ice pack on his black eye. "But you took the hit like a man, Shinji. I'm impressed."

Shinji rolled his eyes and groaned in pain.

***********************************

"Are you so ready to come home, Rei?" he asked gently.

"Yes... go I... home... want" Rei said in an adamant raspy whisper. She was completely dehydrated and the heat was affecting her ability to speak coherently.

If the situation wasn't so serious, Kaworu would of chuckled because of her sentence structure. "I'm not talking about Tokyo-3, little one."

"Shinji..." she whispered weakly. "I want..."

"But you're leaving him." Kaworu said melodiously as he sat beside the dying angel. "Because you are resisting becoming what you already are."

Rei looked at her brother. Yes, he was her brother for the fact that all the angels considered themselves siblings. They all were created by a higher power. No true parent, although Lillith and Adam were looked upon with parental respect because they were the oldest. Rei was the youngest, even though she is a part of Lillith. She *is* 100% Lillith, but she is *not* Lillith. She had a separate mind, desire, love and because of the 3rd impact; she had a separate soul. So Rei was allowed to separate herself from the 'mother' and become her own angel. She was the baby. She was the 'little one.'

Rei stared at her brother in all his divine glory. He had changed since the third impact. He was in the figure image of a young man but was pure energy. A pure soul.

She weakly shook her head. "not resisting"

"Then rely fully on your S2 organ" he told her, almost pleadingly. The situation she was now in was dire. So much in fact that he was allowed to leave heaven and go to her and help her.

"Can't" she whispered.

"Why?"

"Don't.... know... how..." she whispered again.

"Yes you do." he assured warmly, then asked knowingly. "You have another reason that keeps you from subsisting... What is it?"

There was very long pause as she tired to understand why she couldn't do it. She was aware before she went into the room that she would meet some resistance before she fully relied on her S2 organ. That was why she was confined in such harsh conditions. To force her body to save itself with her S2 organ. After a very long deliberation, she understood what was stopping her. She *was* resisting the change after all, and it was because she was...

"Afraid" she admitted weakly.

"Of what?" he asked knowingly.

<Shinji>

He nodded for he heard her thoughts. "You are afraid that he will reject you if you achieve all your powers."

<yes> Her mental voice was weak. She truly was dying.

"Because he rejected you last time, during the third impact."

<.y...yes...>

"You are afraid to lose your humanity."

<no>

"No?" He quirked a brow.

<I ...will not loose...... what I am not ...I.. am.. divine..>

He gave her a warm smile, for she was an angel and a proud angel at that.. "Then you are afraid of rejection?"

<.....yes>

An angelic laughter rang in the metal tomb. "Trust me little one, he will not reject you. Not this time. He wants you to do this and see you in all your divine glory!"

Rei did not believe him.

Kaworu knew this. He looked up toward the ceiling, toward heaven, then back to Rei and sighed dejectedly. Her time was running out. "You will not be able to come back... if you die this time."

<I.... am... not.... dying>

"Oh but you are" the male angel said in sad whisper. "And he can feel it too... but he doesn't understand.... but he will... and then ...it will be too late."

<Shinji....?>

"Yes.... He will try to follow you.."

A lone tear escaped her dry eyes. <no>

"Yes" Kaworu said with his own tears streaming down his divine cheeks. "You know that you two will never be together... after he takes his own life..... He will be punished."

Her tears flowed steadily as she thought of the fate of her beloved husband. With the last bit of strength, she begged in a whisper. "Help me... Kaworu... please... I... don't know how.... <to tap into my powers>

The angel smiled for he knew that his job was done. As he started to fade away he whispered "Just stop resisting" And he was gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Are you sure you're not mad at me for telling her?" Aida asked again just in case his friend was lying to him.

Shinji rubbed his sore cheek. "I said I wasn't. Anyway she needed to know. The longer we kept it from her the harder she would have taken the news."

"I know but.."

Shinji interrupted. "It's not your fault she thought I was single, it's Hikari and Touji's."

Kensuke nodded. "Asuka's probably going to rip them both a knew one for making a fool out of her."

"Good!" Shinji laughed. "They deserve it for putting me through this." He continued to soothe his cheek.

Kensuke laughed too.

When the third child's laughter subsided, he sighed out "At least I got off lucky and she only smacked me. It could have been a lot worse..... But still, I wish she hadn't done it closed fist. That hurt like hell."

Aida laughed out. "Give her time, and I'm sure she'll think of something else to do to you." He stopped laughing at the realization of his words.

Shinji paled.

"I just hope that she calms down by the her next Synch test." Aida said seriously. "I'd hate for her to be inside an Eva right now. Only god knows what she'll do."

Shinji paled even more.

"I can see it now!" Kensuke said, making headline gestures with his hands. "It will be in all the papers. The first, third and fourth child, along with the class rep and their dear and handsome friend, me of course, were all stomped and squished like bugs under the foot of a big red robot. The pilot of this robot was the very insane Asuka Langley Souyru. Her reason for these murders: unrequited love."

Shinji felt sick. "Maybe I'll talk to someone about her."

"*Maybe*?!" Kensuke couldn't believe his ears. "Man, she's crazy enough to kill Rei or at least try. You'd *better* tell someone about her. If not for Rei's sake.. MINE! I'm sure I'm second if not third on her hit list!"

Shinji eyes widened in fear.

"It's not like she hasn't proclaimed to the world that she wished your wife were dead." Kensuke said making wild hand gestures. "I've lost count of how many times I've heard her say those words!"

The pilot knew his friend spoke the truth.

"I'm not telling you to try and have her right to pilot revoked. I know how much that means to her. I'm just saying that I would let someone know what happened here. There's too much at stake for you to give her the benefit-of-the-doubt that she won't do anything... you know... crazy!" He was making twirling gestures by his ear. "You'd never forgive yourself if she harmed Ayanami!"

Shinji nodded dejectedly. "I'll do it right after my synch test."

With a very worried expression Kensuke said. "Just make sure you tell Rei, so she can stay away from Asuka. I'd hate to see her hurt. "

The pilot almost blurted out that he didn't have to worry about Rei right now because she wasn't there. Thankfully he caught his blunder before it happened and nodded. He glanced at his watch. "Shoot, I better go or I'm going to be late!" He started to run toward the entrance.

"Shin-man wait!!" Kensuke started to run after him. "I got something for you!"

Shinji stopped and held out his hand to receive whatever it was Aida wanted him to have.

Kensuke quickly dug in his book bag and took out a tape. "It's the tape of you and Ayanami's date. Touji told me that the only picture you have of Rei is her old expired NERV card from when you guys were fourteen. He said it was in your wallet, and it looked like it was a hundred years old. So I figured you would want this more than me."

The pilot gave his friend a big toothy grin. "Thanks, man!"

His friend was right, he didn't have any pictures of Rei. He wanted to take some, but whenever he was with her, he would forget. All he had was the expired NERV card he took out of the trash when he gave her the new one. Ever since that day, he carried it with him, and every night he would take it out and kiss the picture.

"No problem." Aida smiled back and watched his friend run toward his destination.

***************

When Aoba finally reached the metal room and unlocked the door, Rei was standing in front it, waiting for him. He was surprised to see her, for just moments before she looked as if she were about to die. If he hadn't already known that she *was* about two seconds from death, he could have sworn that nothing was ever wrong with her. Besides the fact that her hair was sweat drenched and plastered to the sides of her face, she looked perfectly fine.

The mission was a success. Rei subsisted only on her S2 organ.

She walked past him with her usual fluidity and spoke in a refreshed 3rd commander type tone. "It's time to start the second phase of the Tojiru project."

"Yes ma'am."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shinji was lost in thought as he walked toward the boys locker room. He was feeling a lot better and the eerie calm was now gone. However, now he felt stressed. He was trying to decide who exactly he should inform about the Asuka situation. Misato was the most logical choice, but she always brushed off Asuka's temper as no big deal. And in his opinion, this was a very big deal that needed to be taken seriously. He thought of another choice. "Hmm... "he was informed by Hikari and told by Rei, to stay away from Ritsuko. So she was out of the question. There really wasn't anyone else. He didn't want to get the second child in trouble, but he also didn't want to get hurt himself ...<maybe I can go to...>

"Shinji! Just the person I was looking for."

The third child turned around. "Konnichiwa, 2nd commander Fuyutsuki."

The older man smiled warmly at the boy. "How are you doing on this fine day?"

"Fine, thank you." The pilot was surprised that the 2nd commander was looking for him and talking so casually without his beloved being around.

The 2nd commander gestured for the pilot to walk with him. "So how's Rei?"

Shinji looked side to side then cupped his hand over his mouth to amplify his whisper so that only 2nd commander could hear. "Well, its been about three days since I've spoken with her, but as far I know she is doing fine."

The professor blinked. Hard. Then whispered back. "Did Rei not inform you of her plan?"

Shinji nodded.

The older man looked at the boy expectantly.

Shinji looked at the older man quizzically then his body jerked stiff and his eyes became as wide as saucers "Doh!"

Kozo chuckled softly at Shinji's inexperience in such matters.

"Gomen... I didn't think it mattered if I told you because... you already knew.." He whispered. "she was gone."

The man smiled and nodded. "Don't worry yourself over it."

"I have a lot to learn." Shinji admitted sheepishly.

"Yes, but you have time." the man assured. "How about I take you to dinner after you are finished with your synch testing, and I will teach you a few tricks of the trade."

Shinji bowed gratefully. "Thank you, 2nd commander Fuyutsuki!"

Kozo mentally chuckled <Gendo that maybe you son, but he sure doesn't act like you.... thank God>

~ring ring~

"Hold on one moment, Shinji."

The pilot nodded as he watched the older man answer his phone.

"Fuyutsuki here.... (listen)... That is good to hear... (listen)... Yes.... The third child has done his part successfully...."

The pilot's eyes widened curiously when he was mentioned.

"Yes, he is standing right beside me.. (listen) ..... Oh hello Rei..." The older man started to chuckled as he listened to the girl's command.

Shinji was about to pounce on the man and grab his phone. Only respect kept him at bay.

"No." Kozo laughed loudly. "I don't think he wants to speak to you..." He listened, and his eyes widened in shock.

Shinji was about to scream or attack the man and steal his phone. More likely the latter.

"It's not nice to threaten your commanding officer, Rei!" Kozo teased and laughed as he handed the phone to the third child. "It's for you Shinji."

Faster than the speed of light, Shinji grabbed the phone and cooed sweetly. "Hello my kioshii-tsuma!"

The second commander chuckled at the newlywed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hello kioshii-otto!" Rei cooed back "I miss you!"

~~~~~~~~~~~

"I've missed you so much, I honestly felt like I was dying!!" Shinji said with heart felt emotion.

~~~~~~~~~~~

"...." Rei didn't know how to respond to that because she was told by Kaworu that he *could* feel that she was dying so <that was probably what he felt... sorry my love.>

~~~~~~~~~~~

He didn't think anything of her silence. "Why didn't you call me on your phone?"

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Because it was the commander who called Fuyutsuki. I just happened to be around, as were you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh"

~~~~~~~~~~~~

She continued. "And when I call you .. I have to borrow the commander's phone and....." She covered the phone and her mouth with her hand and whispered "He doesn't like to share."

"I heard that, Rei!" the commander growled playfully. He was in a good mood for her transition to the complete use of her powers was successful.

Rei giggled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shinji laughed too. He never knew this side of his father.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Kioshii"

~~~~~~~~~~

"Yes my love?" he answered. His devotion to her was completely audible.

~~~~~~~~~~

"No matter what, do not forgo the prevarication that I am in Tokyo-3."

~~~~~~~~~~

"I won't" he promised. "I want you to be safe."

~~~~~~~~~~

"It is not about safety, my love. It is a test." she responded truthfully.

~~~~~~~~~

"For me?" he asked quizzically.

~~~~~~~~

"No." she answered honestly.

~~~~~~~~~

"Oh... may I ask for who?" he asked curiously.

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Yes."

~~~~~~~~~

He knew *that* tone, and said "But you're not going to tell me who, are you?"

~~~~~~~~~

"Nope." She giggled. "It's not classified, but it is a secret."

~~~~~~~~~~

That was a good enough explanation for him. "May I ask *why* you are testing this person?"

~~~~~~~~~

"Yes"

~~~~~~~~~~~~

He could hear that her calm tone was different this time, so he asked the question. "Ok, why?"

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Redemption." She stated simply.

~~~~~~

"Huh?"

~~~~~~~~~

She was about to explain, but was rushed off the phone by the commander. " I must go, Shinji. I love you."

~~~~~~~~

"I love you too."

~~~~~~~~

"That's nice to know, Ikari." said a cool unpassionate male voice. "Now put Fuyutsuki back on the phone."

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Uhh.. yes sir!" Shinji quickly handed the phone back the second commander. He had a smile on his face because he could hear his beloved fussing in the background to her shikisha that he could have at least waited for her to hear her husband say I love you.

Kozo laughed. "Are you serious?" He laughed harder as he listened. "So now she has a temper like the mythical stories of Lillith?" He laughed. "I'll keep that in mind.... (he listened)..... Hai..... Hai. Sayonnara" When he hung up the phone, he looked at the boy. "I'm sorry Shinji, but something came up. I will have to you give you your lessons another day."

Shinji nodded in understanding, and watched as the 2nd commander walked in the opposite direction.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shinji sat in his Eva as he tried to Synch with it. It proved to be a futile effort once again. No synchronization.

"I'm seeing noise on the monitors, Shinji!" Misato yelled into the intercom. "You're not concentrating!"

"Gomen" was the pilots humble reply.

She was right, he wasn't concentration. He was thinking about his wife and their past conversation. He was thinking about the comradeship that the first, second and third commander shared with each other. He wondered if it had always been that way. He figured it must have been because he remembered how he used to watch Rei and his father converse. It was like they forgot about the world and just enjoyed each other's company. Both would smile and laugh in public, as long as they were far enough away so no other could not hear what they were talking about. Now *he* was allowed to participate, to some degree, and he marveled at how the three acted so different around each other. He was also amazed how quickly they could revert back to their trade mark behavior of being aloof and cold when others were present. To those who didn't know them, they were an enigma and had the ability to strike fear in even the bravest of hearts. Shinji was just grateful that their cold personas were not incorrigible, and that they were now allowing *him* to see the more pleasant part of the way they interacted together.

"Shinji, I'm still seeing noise!" the major growled. " What's so damn important that you have to think about it now?"

"Rei." he meekly admitted.

"Dammit, Shinji. You can daydream later!" The major angrily slammed her palms down on the control board and noticed another kind of interference that was registering. "What the hell is that?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Gawd I hate that b*tch!!" Asuka screamed as she stormed into the boys locker room. Part of her hoped that Shinji would be in there. The other part was glad he wasn't, for she had a strong urge to grab him by the neck and shake him like a rag doll.

Who she really wanted to run into was the *doll.* She wanted to fight her.. no, kill her. She wanted to kill the first child. Slowly. No quickly. It didn't matter really, just as long as she ended up dead.

"Baka!!" she screamed at the top of her lungs. "How could you promise yourself to *her*!!!" In anger she kicked his locker, denting it in the middle.

"Why?!! When you have me!!" She kicked it again, denting it even more making the top and the bottom slightly pop out.

"You belong to me!!" She kicked his locker "How dare you promise yourself to that b*tch!"

She kicked it again. "Why couldn't you love me?!!" She kicked in the middle again making the top and the bottom fully unhinged.

"I *loved* you!" She kicked it again "Why won't you love me back?!"

Asuka kicked his locker one more time, then turned her fury on the benches and everything else that wasn't bolted down. She threw whatever she could get her hands on, into lockers, across the room, and into walls. There was no method to her displacement. She just needed to destroy something.. anything... everything. She returned to his locker and kicked it one more time before she fell to her knees and cried.

Asuka had already known that Shinji had promise himself to Rei. No one told her, but she knew. She just didn't want to accept it. The second child couldn't understand why Shinji had chosen Rei over her. It made no sense to her what-so-ever. She couldn't fathom what Shinji even saw in Rei, except for the fact that she was completely subservient.

But *that* didn't even make sense to her, for she knew that Shinji wasn't into that. She had tried being that way for him...

About a year ago, she caught him kissing Rei's old NERV card before he went to sleep. She didn't confront him with it, but all her fears about him and the first child were validated. She always knew that he held some type of hidden feelings for her blue haired rival, but he never acted on them. It even seemed that after the 3rd impact was averted, he wanted to keep as much distance from him and Ayanami as possible. Shinji even gave her all his attention. Sometimes, though, she had the feeling that he was lavishing so much affection on her to keep himself from lavishing it on another. To make matters worse, during the few times Rei would grace them with her presence, she would catch him staring at Ayanami with a guilty longing. Asuka could never figure out why he felt guilty for wanting to know Rei. Except for the fact that she forbade it!! But it was more than that, she was sure of it. However, she never found out the root of his guilt. He never wanted to talk about it, or he would adamantly deny it.

"I hate you Rei... for making him want you... I know you planned it!... You knew exactly how to make him want you so..." She sobbed "And you Baka.. I hate you for never looking at me with such desire... always at the doll.."

Towards the end of their relationship, she knew that was going to lose him to her. When he called out the b*tch's name when he climaxed was a dead give away. But she refused to lose him to Rei. He wanted a doll, so she tried to play the doll for him. But he wasn't attracted to her efforts. She tried everything, but nothing worked. Deep down she knew that any efforts made would be futile, but she held on to hope she could keep him. Despite the fact that she knew that he never loved her and that his heart had always belonged to that doll.

That was the reason she hated the first child so much. Rei held his heart in the palm of her hand, and she didn't even try. Nor did she even know it. Hell, she ignored him! Treated him as if he didn't exist. But when she did grace him with her presence, she captivated him, and left him in an awe that lasted for days. She didn't even have to say much. Simple things like Hello Ikari-kun, You have tests schedule today, I'm going to the fourth floor. Could you push that button for me. It was never anything major. That was another reason why she always kept Shinji by her side, or in her range of vision. She had to keep him away from the Rei. Always away from the doll. It was a tiring job, but she had to. Simply for the fact that she knew that if they ever had he chance to be alone together he would leave her...

"I was right!" she yelled. Her sorrow was being replaced with anger. "After two years, it only took you one f*cking night to steal him away from me!!! I hate you AYANAMI!!"

Even though she will probably never accept it in her life time, she knew that Shinji and Rei were meant for each other. She realized it when she had to synchronize with him to defeat that angel. It took them a week for them to synchronize successfully, and he synched with the doll on the first try.

"I hate you Shinji..." Her tears returned and she cried into her hands. "I hate you for making me love you so..."

~kurplunk~

Asuka looked to her left and saw a video tape. Her mind went back to a conversation that she forced herself to ignore earlier . It was between Hikari, Touji and the bastard Kensuke, they were talking about a date between the first and the third child. They mentioned something about it being on tape and how happy Shinji would be to have it. Kensuke said something about giving it to him today.

An evil smirk played across her lips as she picked up the tape with the full intent of destroying it.

"Asuka?"

Guiltily the girl's head turned toward the voice. "Ritsuko!"

The doctor quirked a brow as she looked at the destroyed locker room. It reminded her of when she destroyed the infirmary a few days past. She returned her gaze to the girl before her. She also took note of the girl's tear streaked face, and her dejected demeanor. She knew why the second child threw such a tantrum. It was the same reason she did the same. It was because of the Ikari men. In her eyes, they were bastards and the heart of her and the second child's problem was one Rei Ayanami.

"I understand what you're going through, Asuka." the doctor said in a reassuring tone.

"You don't understand sh*t, Ritsuko!" the second child spat out with bitter venom as she scrambled to her feet.

"I understand more than you think" the doctor shot back without anger. A vindictive smile slowly appeared on her lips. "And I think I have a solution to rid us both of our little problem."

Asuka hid the tape behind her back. She wanted to hurt Shinji, so later she planed on destroying it. She didn't want to draw attention to what she had just stolen, so she decided to humor the woman. "What exactly do you have in mind?"

Akagi smirked because she knew that she now had an ally.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Shinji, what is that disturbance I'm seeing on the screen?"

The boy didn't answer.

"Answer me!" Misato commanded.

She was having a really bad week. She was always on the guard, in fear that someone was going to kill Asuka and quite possibly herself. She was tired, she hadn't been able to drink any beer because she had to be ready to protect her roommate at all times, and Kaji was gone somewhere doing who-knows-what, so she hadn't gotten laid for a while. Needless to say, her temper was short. Very short, and nobody had escaped its wrath yet.

"How should I know?" the pilot said knowing full well that it was his wedding ring.

"Do you have on any jewelry, Shinji" Misato yelled. She had heard about the promise ring explosion at the high school.

"Yes." he said proudly.

"Why?!" she growled "You know full well that all foreign materials must be taken off!"

Shinji didn't respond. He was too afraid of his former guardian.

"Look, I know that you and Ayanami are now together, and *she* gets away with murder but.."

Shinji interrupted her. No one talked ill of his wife. "Why are you bringing her up?!"

Misato was taken aback by his anger.

"Though she is the reason I wear my wedding band, you have no right to bring her up and insult her!"

She didn't catch his slip of the tongue. "I...I wasn't..."

"Furthermore!" The pilot interrupted coldly. "2nd commander Fuyutsuki said I can keep my ring on even during my synch test, and if you have a problem with it, then take it up with him personally!!"

Everyone in the room was dumbfounded as they looked at each other and wondered if that was really Shinji in there or a miniature Gendo Ikari.

Misato.... well Misato just got even more pissed. She was not going to be talked down to in front of her subordinates. "Look you little sh*t! Just because you're dating the commanders *favorite* and eating dinner with the top dogs of NERV, it does not mean you can talk to me like you out rank me! *I* am your officer in command, and I say you get the hell out of there and take off that f*cking ring so we can get some accurate numbers on your test! Furthermore, until I get a memo from the 2nd commander stating that you can keep your..."

"What the hell is going on?" interrupted a calm but very cruel voice.

Misato stiffened in shock. She looked at the control panel. The light blinked, informing her that the intercom voice came from the observation deck. The commander's observation deck. <dammit he really is back> She took a deep breath and mustered up her courage.

"Nothing sir." she said with false confidence. She knew that he wanted her dead for what she did with Shinji two years ago. Yelling at his son was not something she wanted to be caught doing. It wasn't that she felt he would care, for she honestly believed that Gendo didn't give a damn about the boy. She just didn't want to be caught losing her temper.

"Shinji"

The pilot's eyes widened in surprised because his dad called him by his first name. "Yes sir?"

"What is going on?" he inquired calmly and coolly. He did not believe the major.

"I was .... told to take off..." He hated telling on his former guardian, but he was ordered to do so. "I was told to take off my ring."

There was a long pause.

"Major Katsuragi."

"Yes sir?" She wasn't sure what to expect.

"The ring the pilot is wearing is made out of the purest platinum. The noise caused by it could not be more than 3.6302 change in his synchronization base score." His voice became cruel and dark. "Reconfigure his base to accommodate the disturbance caused by the ring." His words mocked her and were callously cruel. "A person of your intelligence *should have* been able to arrive at such a simple solution to this minor problem."

"Yes sir" she answered meekly and with complete shock that he actually took up for his son.

Shinji sat in his Eva, *very* shocked that his father took up for him.

Everyone had on a dumbfounded reaction. They couldn't believe that the commander actually allowed Shinji to wear his *promise ring*. Especially because a few months past he yelled at Asuka for mistaking keeping on a pair of diamond earrings that her mother gave her.

The commander continued. His anger was clearly audible. "It would be in your best interest, Major that we do not have this same conversation during the first child's synchronization test."

She swallowed hard. "Yes sir."

"Come Rei." The commander said over the intercom.

A soft answer of "Hai" was heard right before the intercom light turned off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<if they didn't believe that we were back before, that little episode should squash any doubt>

The commander sat back in his plush leather seat in his luxury jet and relaxed. They were finally leaving that hell on earth which was the country of Arizona. They weren't going back to Japan, but they were going to a place that had a more hospitable climate.

Most people in NERV didn't realize that no matter where the commander was, he always able to keep tabs on what was going on in NERV. He had secured audio and visuals transmitted to him, so that he could observe what was going on in his empire. It wasn't that he didn't trust Kozo to run things. It's because he's a control freak, and *has* to know what was going on all the time.

Rei sat at the dinning room table and looked over the different flyers that would be posted around the city to advertising the fair.

"Why do you want *her*?" the commander asked quizzically as he made himself comfortable in the oversized chair.

Aoba sat on one of the couches at the other end of the jet. He wanted to be as far away as he could from both of them. He was trying to make himself invisible. Though, he did glance at the first child and awaited her answer. He was curios as well.

"I have my reasons, shikisha." she said sweetly as she continued to pilfer through the papers.

"But are you sure about her?" Gendo asked. His voice was laced with doubt.

"No" she answered truthfully. "That is why I must test her."

"But she has already failed the first test." His pleasure at her failure was clearly audible.

"Yes." Rei said as she narrowed her eyes. "Yes, she has."

*******************************

After being chewed out by his father Misato canceled the rest of his testing.

Shinji quickly hid behind the corner when he saw Asuka and Ritsuko walk away together. He sighed in relief when he went unnoticed.

He walked to the locker room. The girls locker room. He decided to use Rei's locker because he wanted to feel closer to her. He missed her so much. He was glad to hear from her today, and hear her innocent laughter. It made him miss her more, though. He sighed dejectedly and hoped time would pass quickly until her return. Actually, he hoped that she would return today or tomorrow. He was informed by Misato that she had a synch test tomorrow afternoon because everyone thought she was back.

He sat down on the bench and took off his plug suit. "If she doesn't return tomorrow then I'll.... just call and tell them she's sick" He smiled at his cleverness as he walked to the showers. "I'm getting the hang of this. It's not so hard being a commander's spouse."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks everyone who helped me with ideas. I was at a total loss. I knew how she would react later on. It was that initial reaction that had me stumped. You're the best!!! ^__^ oh yes you are, so bask in your glory!! ^_~ I want to give everyone who gave me an idea credit so here it goes because I used a combination of ideas

Thank you:

Victor Knight

Crimson Angel

Quincy007

Commander Galos

Sakura Ayanami

Grudgekeeper

taran23

nega-darkwing

Kenova

Dark Enigma

Judging Eagle

Shadow of Anime

Ulrich

xenon

Ayanami Rei

The 4 Phase Man

And Dark Enigma, thank for telling me the *chan* thing... I didn't know.. ^_^ I knew it was a term of endearment but I just used it as if *I* were talking about a man I loved. If I called him *pookie* I'd always address him as *pookie* even when talking to my friend ^o^ *hehe* *sigh* It's good to know.. And I know that the Japanese address with the last names first but I'm American and that just looks weird to me so I'm going to amalgamate it into the American way.... *hehe* Just like an American right... we are so arrogant ^__^ that's *we* as in the royal *we* meaning *I* ^_^ I hate to insult others so I'll keep all insults about myself.

Ohh! I would also like to thank those who reviewed... I don't want to leave anyone out! Everyone's responses are dear to my heart.

Thank you:

Sanji

Bellatrix

Vile

Lisa-chan

Mangus

Phi Templar

Unit 00

Hmmm there was something else.. Oh yes. Thank you everyone! Thank you so very much!!!

Love ya lots I really really do

Kimberly

I still don't own anything that deals with Evangelion.