Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ So Happy Together ❯ chapter 23 ( Chapter 22 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
So Happy Together



It was dusk, the late setting sun cast an orange glow throughout the city. A beautiful sight if for the many who took the time to notice it. However one pilot had other things on his mind.

Shinji wiped away his silent tears as he rode home in his father's limo. It had only been about 10 minutes, but he already missed his wife. He held a tight grip on her cell phone. She had given it to him so that they could talk while she was away. Her phone was *secured* thus no one could trace her location when she called him, while his phone, like everyone else's, was just NERV secured (meaning tapped by Gendo) He also held onto her diamond tiara. She didn't want to take it with her.

He wasn't alone in the limo; the 2nd commander was with him. The older man sat across from the boy and smiled warmly. "She'll be back before you realize it."

The third child perked up and looked expectantly at the 2nd commander.

Kozo chuckled softly, he knew that the pilot wanted to know the date when his wife would come back. "That information is classified, Shinji."

Shinji poked out his bottom lip and nodded. He gently placed the tiara and the phone on his lap, looked down at his ring and took it off. He wanted to read the inscription again.

"You should never ever take off your wedding band" the 2nd commander said knowing. "You may loose it."

The boy quickly put his ring back on and said. "I was just reading me and Rei-chan's special vow."

The professor quirked a brow. "And that is?"

Shinji smiled warmly. "I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine."

"Ahh, the Song of Solomon" the professor said knowingly.

"Huh?"

"Your vow, it's a variation of the Song of Solomon 2:16. Which states My beloved is mine, and I am his."

Shinji nodded. "That's what Rei-chan said at first, but I changed it a bit!" He tilted his head to the side. "How did you know of it?"

"It's in the bible." The older man laughed. "It would be like an angel to quote from the bible."

The pilot nodded and smiled.

A few minutes of silence ensued.

Then the second commander said "Do you know why one wears a wedding *ring*?"

Shinji shook his head no. He had some theories, but he didn't want to voice them.

"The circular band symbolizes eternity. Just as a circle never ends, your marriage to Rei, is now a never ending bond of love, trust, respect and devotion."

"Oh" Shinji smiled. That wasn't one of his theories, but he like this one better.

More silence.

Then the professor said "Do you know why the ring is placed on the fourth finger?"

Shinji shook his head no. Besides it being tradition, he had no idea.

"It is said that the vein in the fourth finger of the left hand is directly connected to the heart."

Shinji looked at the man in awe. "Is that true?

The 2nd commander shrugged. "True enough for me." He looked down at his hand and at his wedding band and sighed. It had been over 11 years since his wife was killed, but he never took it off.

Shinji looked at the man's ring too, then looked at his own. "I don't think I'll take it off anymore."

The older man reluctantly took his gaze off his own ring and looked at the boy and smiled. "You have my permission to keep it on at all times."

Shinji looked at the man. "Even through my Eva synch tests?"

Kozo nodded. "If anyone has a problem with it, then they can take it up with me personally."

Shinji smiled. He also swallowed hard, when he heard the coldness to the mans voice. The pilot new that even though the man in front of him seemed nice enough, he was not a force to be reckoned with." <no wonder he and my dad are friends>

The limo stopped in front of the apartment, and the driver opened the door for the third child. After the boy got out, Kozo called out.

"Shinji"

The third child bent at the waist, and looked into the automobile.

Kozo leaned forward in his seat to see the pilot. "What are you going to tell the second child?"

Shinji's eyes tripled their size.

The second commander gave the boy serious expression. "She must not know." His tone was stern, but not cold. "It is imperative that she doesn't find out right now, for she is unstable."

Shinji nodded and he looked at his ring. He wondered how he was going to keep Asuka from knowing, without taking off his ring. He didn't want to take off the symbol of his bond with his koishii tsuma. (beloved wife)

Kozo knew what he was thinking and chuckled. "You're your father son. I'm sure you can think of a way to do both."

Shinji smiled at the man. Normally he would take that as an insult, but he knew that the 2nd commander respected his father thus knew it was a compliment. He nodded one more time in respect, and said. "Oyasumi, 2nd commander Fuyutsuki."

"Good night, Shinji" Once the door was closed, the professor sat back and noticed a piece of parchment paper he forgot to give the boy. He scooted closer to the door and rolled down the window. "Shinji!"

The third child turned around.

"I forgot to give you this." He held the paper out the window.

Shinji hurried to the limo. He put Rei's phone in his pocket and received the paper and smiled. It was his wedding certificate. "Arigatogozaimasu." (Thank you so very much)

"Glad I could help." Kozo chuckled just as the limo drove him away.

Shinji lightly caressed the paper with his fingers as he walked into his and Rei's apartment building. He felt like a new man. A married man.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day

Shinji walked through the school court yard. His stomach fluttered with excitement because he wanted to tell everyone that he and Rei was now married, but he knew he couldn't. He had to keep it a secret because the second child was crazy. <it's not fair!!> His stomach tied in a knot, when he thought about Asuka. He still hadn't thought of a lie to tell her once she sees his ring. A lie that she wouldn't see through. Because the second child scared the hell out of him, he always found it difficult to lie to her. Luckily for the third child, he wasn't going to have to.

Touji tapped the back of Shinji's left shoulder with something. "Here's your wallet, man!"

The third child turned to face his friend and took his wallet from him. "Thanks" He immediately started to put it in his back pocket.

"Hey, aren't you even going to check to see if your money's in there?"

Shinji shook his head no and shrugged his shoulders. "I trust you."

With his right hand, Touji patted the pilot's shoulder. "You're a good friend, Ikari. You know that?"

Shinji was just about to bask in his friends compliment, then noticed the tone in which his friend was speaking. He took his wallet out of his back pocket and looked inside. "Where the hell is my money?!"

"If you just calm down.. " Suzuhara said gently. "I'll tell you..."

Shinji narrowed his eyes at his friend. He was planning on buying a microwave with that money today. He didn't want to use the stove anymore, and he needed one to quickly heat up the food Rei cooked this weekend. He also wanted to buy a frame for his wedding certificate *and* an Akira model to start replacing the ones that were utterly destroyed by his Rei-chan.

The fourth child cleared his throat and began "You see.. I was thinking about what you said in the jewelry store..."

Lost in his own thoughts, Shinji scowled and barred his teeth. The more he thought about heating his food up on the stove the angrier he got . <it takes so freaking long on the stove!!>

The fourth child winced from the look he was receiving from his friend, but he continued anyway. " Uhh.. back to what I was saying... I was thinking about what you said... you know... about promising yourself to your 'beloved Rei -chan'.. and I said to myself... you know Touji you have a beloved Hikari-chan too, and she would think that was sooooooo kawaii..."

<kawaii?> Shinji heard the last of what his friend said and blinked. Hard. Touji now had his full attention.

"Then I said to myself as I ..." He looked at his friend and gave him a guilty grin "... looked into your wallet.... Shinji's a multi billionaire, so what's a few hundred bucks to him..."

"WHAT?!!!!" The third child couldn't believe his ears. "You know very well I don't have access to my father's money!"

"Yeah, but you still make $150 dollars more than me!"

"You work like once every month!" Shinji yelled gesturing wildly. "And you still get paid every time I do!"

"So!" Touji yelled back defensively. "What's your point?"

"My point is, I'm going to kick your @$$!!" The third child growled. "I had plans for that money!"

"Well excuuuuuse me!" Touji said gesturing wildly.

That's when Shinji saw it. He grabbed his friends left wrist. "Not only did you steal my money, you stole my idea too?!!"

"If you would have just let me explain instead of getting all upset over a few measly hundred bucks...."

The third child roughly let go of his friends wrist. "You wouldn't be saying that if it was your measly hundred bucks!!"

"Don't get your panties in a knot, man" Touji laughed. "I'm going to pay you back!"

Shinji started snarling at him <you just won't let that go will you!!>

Suzuhara laughed harder as he remembered that one time Shinji was running late and mistakenly put on a pair of Rei panties instead of his underwear after he got out of the shower. It wasn't until he changed for gym did he realize why he was getting wedgies all day. He claimed that it was an honest mistake because they shared a drawer, but everyone teased him for weeks about it anyway.

"You got to admit that was funny!"

"Shut the hell up, Suzuhara!" the third child yelled angrily. He was tired of being teased about that mistake.

Touji laughed harder and grabbed his waist because of the pain.

A boy from their class walked up to them.

"Touji"

The fourth child looked at the boy and laughed out. "Yeah, what do you want Miki?"

"I want to know where you got Hikari's ring."

Shinji did a double take as he looked at he boy. "Why?"

"Because my girlfriend wants to be *promised*" The boy growled making quotation marks with his fingers. "She heard the class rep bragging about it to anyone who will listen..."

"You better watch how you talk about my girlfriend." Suzuhara warned.

"No offense, man" Miki quickly said. "It just that now my girl thinks I'm not serious about her because she doesn't have a promise ring."

Touji chuckled as he shrugged with his hands and shoulders. And the boy freaked out.

"I HAVE TO WEAR ONE TOO!!!" Miki looked at Shinji. "Tell me he's not wearing a promise ring too!! What is this world coming to?!"

Shinji shrugged with his hands and shoulders revealing his ring too.

Miki was about to faint as three other boys came stomping toward the third and fourth child. They were pissed.

"Who's f*cking idea was this?!!" growled an upper classman that was bigger than Touji. (and Suzuhara was the biggest stooge.)

Both Shinji and Suzuhara pointed at each other. They knew what he was talking about, and neither one of them wanted to take the blame, on account that those guys looked mad enough to beat the crap out of them. Both of the pilots also did their best to hide their left hand.

"Who's_ idea_ was _it?!!" demanded the really huge boy.

The pilots pointed at each other again.

The boy growled. "Do you know that I have been saving up my allowance for a new radio for my car!! And now I have to spend the money on a f*cking promise ring for my girlfriend!!"

"Not only for her..." Miki added "You got to buy one for yourself too." He quickly reached and grabbed both pilots left wrist and displayed their band.

The three guys' eyes widened angrily.

The big guy sighed and said as if he had no choice. "And I wasn't even gonna beat you up... Really_ I wasn't .. but now..." He shook his head as if he regretted that he had to say this. "But now.. I have to... I don't have a choice." In a snapping of the wrist, the biggest upperclassman pointed to the pilots and said "Get'em boys!"

Both Shinji and Touji spun on their heals and tried to run and get the hell out of there. But they were quickly caught and tackled to the ground by the four boys.

Right before they got the beating of their life, Shinji yelled as he laid on his back. "Wait! You don't know why we *had* to do this!"

The big guy cracked his knuckles as he towered over them. "You have ten words or less to explain."

Shinji eyes tripled their size and he yelled in fear. "How can we explain in less than ten words?"

"You have one word left." The guy punch his fist threaten manner.

Touji eyes widened. He turned around so he was now laying on his back too, and screamed "SEX!!"

Now that got the guys' interest, and they backed off. Touji quickly scrambled to his feet as so did Shinji.

Touji spoke. "We did it so we could get laid!" He looked at his friend.

Shinji could *not* believe that Suzuhara just said that. "That's not why *I* did it!"

The four boys looked at him. "Then why did you do it?"

Shinji was about to go into his beautiful speech about being beloveds with his Rei-chan, but was cut off by Touji.

"He did it to get back with his girlfriend! She had dumped him this weekend!"

Shinji eyes widened angrily.

"And she took you back?" Miki asked amazed. He knew Rei because they were in the same class. To him, she looked like someone who wouldn't go back with someone if she broke up with them.

"He has on a promise band doesn't he!" Touji answered in a smart alike tone.

The boys looked at the fourth child. One of the other upperclassmen asked "And you got laid after you gave her the ring?"

"Oh hell yeah!" Touji lied. After that pregnancy scare, Hikari did not want to have sex ever again.

"Hmmm" The four boys hummed in unison and nodded in approval.

"But you can't tell let the girls know this, or it won't work." Touji added. "They must believe that you want to be promised because you *love* them.. and not just *lust* their bodies!"

"Oh yeah sure sure" The biggest boy said with a nasty smirk on his face, then asked both of the boys. "So where did you get her ring?"

"I got Rei's at the Kooka na Daiyamondo" (Costly Diamond)

"You must of been in the dog house big time!" Miki said laughing. The other boys laughed too.

Shinji had to consciously fight the urge to narrow his eyes. He hated that the idea of the promise ring was now sullied, but for them to question his reason for choosing that store. "I love her... that's why I chose the Kooka na Daiymondo."

"Suuure." One of the upperclassmen scoffed, then faced Touji "What about you? Where did you get yours?"

"The 24 hr everything store." Admitted the fourth child.

The boys nodded in approval. That was within their price range.

"Maybe this isn't such a bad idea after all.." The largest boy said as he rubbed his hands together. The had a libidinous twinkle in his eyes as he repeated his words again to himself.

Shinji shook his head as the boys walked away from them. When they were out of ear shot, Shinji growled "I can't believe you just did that!"

'What?" Touji said defensively. "I just saved our @$$"

"You're going to wish you hadn't, once Hikari finds out what you just said!"

Suzuhara shrugged. "I'm going to tell her myself."

That confession caught Shinji off guard.

"She already knows why *I* promised myself to her."

"And why was that?"

Touji blushed. "Because I love her... and when we thought she was pregnant, we were talking marriage.. I wanted her to know that even though we won't be forced to marry, I still want to marry her."

Shinji smiled at his friend. He wasn't expecting his friend to be so sincere in his reason. His confession also dissolved his anger for using his money. Until..

Touji laughed. "And like you I didn't have enough money for an engagement ring!"

"Shut up, Suzuhara!" Shinji walked away from his friend and growled "I wish I never brought you along when I bought her ring!"

Touji followed closely. "I'm glad you did, because now my Hikari-chan thinks I'm the most kawaii guy in the world. And when I tell her about why the other guys are buying rings for their girlfriends ..*bonus points for me!!!*... Because I gave her her ring because I *looooove* her. I didn't even try to sleep with her that night!"

"That's because you knew she'd say no."

"So" Suzuhara laughed.

The third child rolled his eyes and shook his head.

"I'll pay you back I promise"

"Oh, I know you will." Shinji shot back.

As the two pilots walked into the building more boys with angry glares were walking toward them.

"It's going to be a long day" the third and fourth child said in unison.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When the two pilots finally got to class, they were late and the sensei made them stand outside with water buckets.

During lunch they had to do their work, so they had to eat in the classroom. But they got in trouble because boys of all grades kept coming to him because of the promise ring situation.

So after lunch the sensei made them hold water buckets in the hall again.

For Shinji, the only thing good about today was Asuka wasn't there.

And that was pretty much how the next two days went as well. It wasn't until Wednesday did things changed.

~~~~~~~~~~

Shinji was walking through the courtyard toward the building when he heard.

"Hey Shin-man!"

The pilot turned around toward the voice. "Hey Kensuke. Where have you been?"

"Huh... home." the boy admitted. "I was looking up some information on the Ray of Hope foundation."

"The one that is beautifying Japan?"

The hacker nodded. "That's the one."

"Anything interesting?"

Aida gave him a knowing nod then put his pointer finger to his lips. "But it's a secret."

Shinji gave a quick nod. One thing that he has learned to expect in his life, by living with Rei, was not knowing classified information.

Kensuke looked around and noticed all the students with wedding bands on. "Did I miss something here?" He gestured to his fourth finger.

"Oh" Shinji pressed his lips together then said bitterly. "It's a promise ring explosion."

"A what?" Kensuke didn't understand

"I bought Rei a promise ring. Then Touji bought Hikari one, and when we got to school; she told everyone. Then *all* the girls wanted their boyfriend to get them one too..."

Aida started laughing. "Well they say imitation is the highest praise!"

The third child rolled his eyes and started walking toward the building. He was still bitter about having his idea of the promise ring, a declaration of love, twisted into something just so the guys could get laid... But then again, maybe he was just bitter because he wasn't getting laid and everyone else was.

Kensuke followed and chuckled.

Shinji ignored him.

Then Aida laughed out. "So how's married life?"

Shinji stopped dead in his tracks, spun on his heals to face his friend. His eyes had tripled their size. "How did you know?!"

Kensuke gave his friend a knowing shrug of the shoulders. "You know, I would have loved to have been invited." He titled his head to the side, cupped his cheeks in his hands and sighed playfully . "And I always dreamed I was going to be your best man...."

Shinji eyes widened even more "Would you lower your voice!" The pilot looked around in hopes that no one could hear him, then whispered loudly "You can't tell anyone that I'm married and not promised to Rei-chan!"

"Why?" Aida teased. "Isn't that a little unfair to Rei?"

Shinji sighed. "Look, I would love to be able to yell that Rei is now my wife from the highest mountain, or rent a blimp so it could fly over the city and broadcast it to all, but I can't!"

Aida's brow furrowed. "Why?"

"Because I can't ok?" He didn't want to tell Asuka's business, for he knew that Kensuke already thought she was crazy. There was no need to confirm his assumption.

"So how's Asuka taking it?" Kensuke asked knowingly. He already knew why Shinji had to keep his marriage a secret. He had hacked into Asuka's medical files along time ago, before he became employed with NERV, and knew that girl had some serious issues.

"What?" Shinji looked at his ring. "She doesn't know."

"I'm not talking about your marriage. I was wondering how she's dealing with the thought of you being promised to marry Rei." Aida gave him a knowing look.

"I haven't seen her . She hasn't been at school lately" He then said hopefully. "I'm sure she already knows, being Hikari's best friend an all." Shinji looked at the couples wearing matching marriage bands. "It's Hikari's fault that almost everyone has on promise bands."

Kensuke looked over his friend's shoulder. "I guess we'll find out."

"Huh?" Shinji turned and saw Hikari, Touji and Asuka walk into the building. His stomached turned when he watched his friend and his friend's girlfriend. They looked like they were hiding there bands from the second child. The third child turned back around and started walking toward the gate. "I'm not feeling so good. I think I better go home."

Aida laughed and grabbed his friend's shoulder. "You can't run forever, so you might as well stop now."

The pilots stopped and lowered his head and shoulders in defeat. Aida was right, but that didn't mean he had to like it. <I'm mustn't run away... I mustn't run away... I mustn't run away> He turned around and tried to walk bravely to his doom .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shinji and Aida was about to walk through their classroom door when they were stopped by a very distressed looking Suzuhara.

Touji grabbed the third child by the shoulders and pushed him back against the adjacent locker. "Trust me, you don't want to go in there."

Shinji eyes tripled their size. "Why?"

Kensuke looked at the fourth child expectantly.

"I just found out why my Hikari-chan has refused to even look at you these past three days!" He had been trying to find out for days, but she refused to tell him.

Shinji had been wonder why the class rep was giving him the cold shoulder lately. "So what is it?"

The fourth child turned his head and glanced back at the classroom then back to his friend. "She thinks that you cheated on Rei with Asuka."

"WHAT?!!!" Both Shinji and Aida yelled at the top of their lungs.

"Would you guys shut up!" Touji growled.

"Where would she get an *insane* idea like that?!" the third child yelled anyway.

Touji glanced back at the classroom then back to his friend. "From Asuka."

"WHAT!!!" Both Shinji and Aida yelled at the top of their lungs, again.

Touji eyes widened in fear that his girlfriend or Asuka would hear them.

"She's lying!!" the pilot of unit 01 screeched out. "I would never cheat on my wi-..Rei-chan!"

Because of his slip of the tongue, Shinji's eyes became as big as saucers...

Suzuhara quirked at brow....

And Kensuke started to whistle guiltily.

Too many seconds of silence ensued.... And right when it looked like someone was going to say something...

More silence.

"*What* did you just say?" Touji asked knowingly.

The third child swallowed hard. "I said I would never cheat on my Rei-chan....?" He gave a sheepish grin.

The fourth child shook his head slowly. "Nuh uh_ that's not what you said." He released the boy and cracked his knuckles in a threatening manner.

Shinji swallowed hard as he pressed himself even more against the lockers. "You.. can't...." His voice was meek. "... we're ...we're ...at school..."

Suzuhara punched his fist and gave an evil smirk. "As if that has ever stopped me before."

Kensuke knew it was up to him to stop Suzuhara before they all got suspended for fighting. "Why would Asuka say that, Touji?"

The fourth child looked at his other friend then back to Shinji and narrowed his eyes, as a gesture to tell him that it's not over. He then answered Aida's question. "She said that she and Shinji-bigalo, here, got all lovey dovey Thursday night on the Eva loading dock."

"WHAT?!!!" Kensuke couldn't believe his ears. "You were getting all romantic with the demon when you should have been fighting angels?!!!"

"One, there was no angel." The pilot of unit 01 lied. "It was an error due to the earthquake and Two, I did *not* get all lovey dovey with Asuka! I was comforting her as a *friend* and she knows that!"

"Well apparently she doesn't, because now she thinks that she has a chance with you." Touji stated flatly. "That's all she has been talking about since Hikari and I picked her up this morning."

"What do you mean you were comforting her?!!" Aida asked in a disappointed tone.

"She was crying, and I comforted her." Shinji said defensively. "What did you want me to do? Just walk away?"

"Yes!" Aida said flatly. "She's nuts man! Any nice thing you do for her, she takes out of context. Haven't you learned that by now?" He shook his head in a disappointed fashion and rolled his eyes. "Apparently not!"

"There's more." Touji said meekly.

The two boys looked at the fourth.

"On Sunday.... Hikari-chan told her that you and Rei had broken up."

"So." Shinji shrugged his shoulders. "That was three days ago. Anyway, Rei and I got back together the same day."

Touji nodded. "But she hasn't told her any different..."

"What do you mean she *hasn't* told her any different?!!" Aida asked seriously. "What is Hikari trying to do? Get Shinji killed?"

"It just that Hikari-chan told me that .. " He raked his hands over his face. "That she hadn't seen Asuka this happy in a long time and ..."

The two boys waited with mock patients for an explanation.

Suzuhara looked in to Shinji eyes and could see the bottled in fury in his dark blue eyes. ".....She was scared to tell her any different, ok!"

"So what am I supposed to do?" Shinji asked in a upset voice. It was mixed with fear and anger.

Touji shrugged.

"That's Hikari's mess!" Shinji brushed pass his friends and walked into the classroom.

When Shinji walked into the classroom Asuka perked up and cooed. "Hello Shin-chan!"

Shinji stopped dead in his tracks and looked at the red haired girl. He didn't respond; he just walked back out of the classroom and said to Touji. "Hikari needs to fix this problem herself... and leave me out of it."

The two boys watched their friend walk down the hall.

"Where are you going, Shin-man?" Aida called out curiously.

"Home!" Shinji called back and started to run down the hall. <I mustn't run away, my @$$!>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At lunch

"I can't believe Shinji actually went home!" Aida said in complete amazement. He honestly believed that the third child would come back.

"How many times are you going to say that?" Touji growled as he watched his girlfriend humor Asuka.

Kensuke followed his friends gaze. "So when do you think she's going to tell Asuka?"

"I have no idea" he grumbled as he raked his hand through his hair. 'But I wish she'd do it soon."

"I'll do it." Kensuke chimed mischievously. "I'd love to break the news to her."

Touji looked at the boy and admitted "Me too."

The two started laughing. They hated Asuka and they had felt that way since the first time they met her. They only humored her for Shinji's sake. But now that the two had broken up, they were tempted to be hateful to the girl. The only thing keeping them at bay now was Hikari.

Suzuhara sighed out as his laughter settled. "So Shinji's married, ne?"

Kensuke eyes tripled their size.

"Don't worry I won't tell him you told me." Touji laughed "I kinda figured it out yesterday when I saw them walk out of their apartment building. Rei was wearing white dress and Shinji was in a suit and they went into his fathers limo."

Aida relaxed a little.

Touji continued "But what gave it away was when he admitted it in the hallway.." The fourth child started fiddling with a pebble on the ground "I just don't understand why he didn't tell me .. but he told you..."

"He didn't tell me." Aida admitted "I just sorta found out when I was looking for something else."

"Oh" That made everything better for the fourth child. He looked back at the girls. Asuka was still talking and Hikari looked even more stressed. "I doubt she tells her today."

"She has to." Aida said. " Shinji can't skip school forever."

***************************

"Yes I will skip school forever!" Shinji proclaimed adamantly into the phone.

~~~~~~~~

Rei giggled. Her husband amused her.

~~~~~~~~

"Well at least until the end of the school year." He sighed and dropped that subject. "I miss you."

~~~~~~~~

"I miss you too." She cooed in a sad sigh, then said in a 3rd commander type tone. "Shinji, I have a job for you."

~~~~~~~~

"Anything for you koishii" (beloved)

~~~~~~~~~

"I want you to tell everyone that I am back. It is imperative that they believe that I have returned."

~~~~~~~~~

"Ok.. I'll try."

~~~~~~~~~

"Not try. Do." Her tone demanded no less than 100%.

~~~~~~~~~

Shinji felt the urge to say yes ma'am. It still amazed him how she could sound as gentle as a light breeze and as commanding as thunder at the same time. "Of course I will."

~~~~~~~~~

She smiled even though she knew he couldn't see it. "I love you."

~~~~~~~~~

"I love you more." Shinji said solemnly. He could tell by her tone that she had to go.

~~~~~~~~~

She heard the sorrow in his tone "Koishii-otto don't be sad" she said sweetly. "I will be home soon."

~~~~~~~~~

He wanted to ask when, but he knew that he wouldn't get his answer so instead he said "I know... but it still doesn't make me miss you any less."

~~~~~~~~~

"Understood." She said in a very Rei type tone. "Shinji"

~~~~~~~~~

"Yes"

~~~~~~~~~

"I won't be able to call you for a while... However, keep the phone with you just in case I may be able to slip away and tell you Ai shiteru"

~~~~~~~~~

Shinji felt like crying. That was terrible news. He wouldn't get to talk to her! All he could say was. "I understand..." That was the biggest lie since he told her he wanted kids.

~~~~~~~~

"Good." She said sweetly. "I must g-..."

~~~~~~~~

Shinji interrupted her. "But could you tell me one thing?"

~~~~~~~~

"Depends on what you are asking." she answered truthfully.

~~~~~~~~

He swallowed back his tears and asked. "Will you be home for my birthday?"

~~~~~~~~

Silence.

~~~~~~~~

Shinji understood. That information was classified but he wanted.. no needed to know anyway. "It's just that... you said that you had planned something for us..."

~~~~~~~~

"I planned something for you." she answered truthfully.

~~~~~~~~

"Oh" he said solemnly. He took her answer as a no that she wouldn't be there.

~~~~~~~~

She knew this. "Shinji, I cannot tell you a yes or a no because that would give a specific date on my return or a general idea of when I will not return. Do you understand?"

~~~~~~~~

A reluctant "Yes.. gomen" was his answer.

~~~~~~~~

"No need to be sorry. I understand why you want to know...."

~~~~~~~~

He loved that she was so understanding. "I love you, Rei-chan"

~~~~~~~~

"I love you too, Shinji, but I must go now ...I am sorry."

~~~~~~~~

"Me too... Ja'ne, Rei-chan. I love you"

~~~~~~~~

"Ja'ne and I love you more." She tried but she couldn't hide the sorrow form her calm voice.

~Click~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shinji looked at the phone after he hung it up. He hated when they had to say good-bye. And now that they wouldn't be able to speak for only God knows how long....

"It's not fair!!"

The pilot fell back on the bed and fought the urge to cry. He was used to Rei not being around, but she would always call him. They would talk for at least two hours. However, these last few days, she had called but they had only been able talk for 15 minutes at the most. Now, he won't even have that! And to top it off he was supposed to *pretend* she was back! He had no idea how he was going to pull that off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday: because Shinji skipped school on Thursday.

Aida leaned back and whispered to his friend. "Shinji called me this morning."

Touji leaned forward in his desk. "Did he tell you why he skipped school *again* today?"

Kensuke nodded. "He said Rei came back Wednesday night."

A nasty grin appeared on Suzuhara lips. "They're probably doing it right now."

"Mostly likely" Aida snickered with the same type of grin on his face.

"So he called you to brag?"

"No, Shinji doesn't brag about that stuff. He called because he wanted to make sure that the Asuka situation was taken care of." Aida gave him and expectant look. "He said he's been trying to get in touch with you but you haven't been home... Or have you just been dodging his calls?"

A guilty look came across Touji face.

"What are you two waiting for!"

"The right time..." The fourth child admitted. "It's hard to know how she'll react." With his finger, he made a swirling gesture around his ear. "You should of seen they way she took the news about Hikari-chan and I, being promised. I hate to even imagine what she'll do when she finds out about Shinji and Rei."

Aida turned his gaze to the red headed vixen. "Then I'm going to tell her!"

"Please do." Touji said in a cowardly manner.

Kensuke head whipped back toward the bravest of the stooges. He could see the fear in the boy's eyes. "I...I .. *will*" He said with a timid convection. He stood up and slowly walked over to the girl's desk.

"What the hell do you want *stooge!!*" Asuka voice rang with bitter resentment. She hated Kensuke. Mostly for the fact that he was always vocal about how he felt about her. She gave him a death glare as she waited for him to answer.

Anger clouded Aida's mind as he narrowed his eyes at her. His task was now forgotten and a victorious smirk appeared on his lips. Yep, he forgot all about informing the demon about Shinji and Rei's *promise* His mind went straight for a cheep shot. He shrugged his shoulders and said. "I just wanted to know what happened to your face?... It's all swollen on one side." He pointed and squinted his eyes with mock curiosity. "And is that a bruise I see?.... What happened, Ayanami kick your @$$?"

Asuka eyes tripled their size and she lunged and attacked the boy.

******************************

Shinji walked out of his apartment building only to run into a badly bruised Kensuke.

"What are you doing here?" Shinji asked curiously. It was about 1pm, his friend should have been in school.

"Standing guard" the boy admitted as he held his sore jaw.

"Nani?" Shinji didn't understand what he was talking about "Were you coming to interrupt me and Rei-chan?" The pilot narrowed his eyes <he probably wanted to tape us having sex!>

"Actually no, I wasn't coming to see you." Kensuke narrowed his eyes at his friend <and I know what you're thinking, you hentai!>

"Then why are you here?"

"To keep Asuka from coming this way." He sucked on his busted lip.

"Huh?"

"She and I got suspended today for fighting..." He rubbed the back of his head. "Actually it was she who was fighting me.. I was just trying to hold her down."

"Well that explains the black-eye." The pilot laughed. "Do you want some ice for it?"

"Nah, I'll be ok.." Kensuke said turning around to leave. "I know that you and Rei want some alone time." He tilted his head quizzically and turned to face his friend. "Why are you even out here anyway? Whatcha do, run out of condoms?"

Shinji turned beet red before he quickly composed himself and said "Something like that... Anyways, Rei-chan's at work, so I'm going to go and buy us a microwave." (It was the truth)

"Oh. That sucks. You don't even get a honeymoon?" Kensuke really did feel bad for the pilot.

Shinji shrugged and started walking. He didn't want to talk about this subject. It made him too sad and he was suppose to pretend that his beloved was back. He couldn't accomplish that task with tears in his eyes.

"I guess I'll come along." Aida started following closely. "It's not like I have anything better to do."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two hours later the two boys were walking back to Shinji's apartment building carrying a huge box.

"What do you mean she still doesn't know!" Shinji yelled as held his side of he microwave box.

"Touji and Hikari were too chicken to tell her the truth." Kensuke answered as he struggled to hold his side of the microwave box.

Shinji sighed in an irritated fashion as he shook his head.

"*I* tried to tell her this morning, but she pissed me off when I confronted her. You know how easily she gets under my skin! She made me forget why I went to her, so I insulted her instead."

The pilot laughed because that always happened to Kensuke when he tried to talk to Asuka. "What did you say?"

With a victorious smirk, the boy answered. "I told her that her face was swollen..."

Shinji interrupted in a laugh. "You know why?"

Aida shook his head "No, but I asked her if Rei did it!"

Shinji laughed out. "Rei-chan did do it. She beat the hell out of her on Thursday."

Aida almost dropped his half of the box because he was laughing so hard. "No wonder she got so mad!!" He continued to laugh. "Man I wish I could have seen that!" He looked at his friend with expectant mirth. "Was that before or after you guys were lovey dovey?"

Shinji stopped laughing. "I wasn't lovey dovey with her!"

"I hope not!"

"I wasn't!" the pilot growled.

Awkwardly the two boys carried the huge microwave box through the door, up the steps and into the apartment.

"How did you expect to carry that home by yourself?" Kensuke gestured to the huge box that Shinji had now opened.

Shinji took out the encasing Styrofoam. "Was going to take a taxi." He pulled out the guarantee and the directions from the box.

"Urg!" Kensuke blinked hard. "Why didn't *we* use a taxi!" He was about to sit on Rei's bed.

Shinji looked up from the direction booklet and shrugged "I guess I've been hanging around Rei-chan too long because I didn't mind walking.... anyways, it made the time go by faster."

Aida stopped right before he sat down and looked at the sheets in that were in disarray. <ewww I almost sat on their sex drenched bed. He walked over to the kitchen to sit on one of the chairs. The kitchen was a bit messy and the table seemed to be pushed out a bit. <ewww they probably had sex in here too> Kensuke left the kitchen and looked around the apartment. There really wasn't any place that he couldn't imagine them having sex. And he really didn't want to sit in their *juices*

Shinji quirked a brow was he watched his friend walk around the apartment. He looked as if he were searching for something. After about a minute the pilot returned his attention to the microwave directions.

Aida finally decided to sit on the floor in front of third child. "Why did you get this one? There were ones just as nice that were cheaper and smaller."

Without looking up, the pilot answered "Rei-chan would want this one."

"Oh..... Where'd you get the money? Touji said he used up all your funds."

Without looking up from the booklet, Shinji answered. "Rei-chan combined our funds, so I had enough money."

"WOW!!"

Shinji looked up at his friend.

"Do you know how much money she makes?!" He was really excited "She must really trust you!"

"Of course she trusts me!" The third child said defensively. "I'm her husband!"

Aida shook his head. "You have no idea how much she makes too, do you?"

"Of course I do!" Shinji lied.

"Oh" Kensuke shrugged and dropped the subject. He looked at the floor and gazed at his reflection in the shinny wood floor. "Damn, Asuka really f*cked me up. If I would've known I looked this bad, I would of let you get me some ice."

"Well, you know where it is." Shinji gestured to the kitchen. "Just wash your hands first." He returned his gaze back to the direction booklet but his thoughts wondered how much his Rei-chan did make. As a pilot, he assumed she made as much as him plus the $500 a week cost of living wage, but now that she was third commander... he had no idea.

Kensuke walked to the bathroom because he knew his friend would have a conniption fit if he washed his hands in the kitchen sink. Once his hands were clean he went to get himself some ice for his face.

The third child glanced at his friend when he came back with a sandwich bag full of ice over his black eye.

"This sucks!" Kensuke growled as he plopped himself on the floor again.

Shinji gave the boy his full attention.

"I'm supposed to meet Kimiko's parents today!" He shook his dejectedly. "They're probably going to think I'm some kind of thug!"

"Who?" Shinji chuckled quizzically. <Aida a thug; that's a laugh>

"Kimiko Gookabano" Kensuke said with a proud smile. "I'm seeing her now."

"That really really tall girl?" Shinji lifted his hand way over his head. He couldn't imagine Aida who was the shortest out of the three stooges with Kimiko, who was even taller than Touji, who was the tallest.

Aida narrowed his eyes. That was the reason he kept his crush on Kimiko a secret. His two friend always made jokes about her behind her back. "She's not that tall!"

The pilot rolled his eyes. "If you say so." He returned to the directions.

Kensuke started getting up to leave. "See, that's why I never told you I liked her!"

Shinji looked at his friend and smiled. "Look, if you would have told me you liked her earlier, I would have never made jokes about her. In all honesty, she very pretty." <not as pretty as my Rei-chan but pretty enough>

"I know she is." Aida said defensively. "Anyways, back to what I was saying. We're supposed to be going on our first date tonight."

"Sweet." Shinji said as he got up. "Wanna help me get this into the kitchen?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The boys struggled getting it out of the box, then struggled getting it through the narrow kitchen doorway.

"Where are you going to put it?" Aida groaned. The back of his hands were all scraped up because the microwave was so wide and the doorway was so narrow.

"On top of the fridge..." The pilot huffed as he shifted his hands to get a better hold of it. The back of his hands were scrapped up too.

"You've got to be kidding me!" Aida shifted his hands position too.

"There's not that many plugs in here..." Shinji explained. "Trust me, I messed up the kitchen looking for them. The only one other than the one for the fridge is the one by the table.

"Then put it on the table!" Kensuke yelled "There's no way we can lift this huge @$$ microwave over our heads!!"

Shinji looked at the table, then at the top of the fridge. It seemed like a good idea a few hours ago, now it proved not to be plausible. "Fine"

The two boys put the microwave on the small table.

"Now where am I supposed to eat? Shinji grumbled as he stared at the table. There was only about an inch of visible table left. Then he looked at his friend.

"Hey don't look at me!" Aida laughed. "I told you to get the smaller one."

The third child sighed and absently looked at his watch. "Crap, I gotta go! I'm about to be late for my synch test!"

"That's fine. I need to start getting ready for my date anyway." Kensuke said as he left the kitchen, he grabbed his ice pack, and walked toward the door. "I guess I won't be seeing you this weekend. You and Rei will probably be getting your freak on."

<I wish> Shinji walked to the back of the apartment to get Rei's phone. He was going to keep it with him just in case she could slip away from whatever she was doing and call him. He just hoped she wouldn't call while he was in the Eva.

Kensuke slipped on his shoes, opened the door, and was shocked stiff. Once he composed himself, he turn around and called out. "Hey Shinji, the b*tch is here!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I still don't own anything that deals with Evangelion.

hmmm how will Asuka react.. any suggestions? ^_~ because I'm at a loss. o_0