Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ So Happy Together ❯ chapter 36 ( Chapter 35 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
A.N. Hello everyone!! ^__^ (waves!) I would like to present to you ... dum dum dum da!!!

A
Kimberly and Midnight Production

So Happy Together




It was one day until the last day of June, and Asuka Sohyru Langely was in a very good mood. How could she not be? She didn't have to see Shinji fawning all over Rei at work or school, everyday. She had a confidant in Chang-san. The food at the hospital was, in her opinion, excellent. Especially since she was comparing it to Misato's cooking. And then to top it off, her favorite soap opera was about to come on in 10 minutes! Yes, in the second child's opinion, living in a mental ward or not, all was room, she hummed the theme song to her show. She was so excited for she was finally going right in her the world!

As the pilot made her way to the entertainment going to find out whether or not her two favorite characters were going to get married. The whole wedding, the fiasco that it was, had been going on for about two months now. It always amazed her how soap operas could drag out ceremonies like that. Before the couple said I do, for the first time, the bride's evil step sister confessed that she was pregnant with the groom's child. The cat fight that followed, was hilarious! Then there was an attempted murder on one of the guests, which interrupted the saying of the vows, the second time. There was something else that hindered the wedding as well, but the second child was too wrapped up in her own drama to watch her show. But that was all in the past and Asuka was now again interested in the dramatic drama of Passion of Our Lives. It amazed her that the bride and groom were able to work through their problems and still want to go through with the wedding. However, it was a shame that they weren't expecting the groom's estranged father to pop up out of the blue. It is also a shame that the bride's mother had a one night stand with one of the stage hands of a famous rock band. Because now there was also a chance that the bride and the groom may be half siblings!! Yes siblings!! Oh the complete horror!! Hopefully, Asuka would find out today if this was going to be the case, but it all depended on what the mothers of the couple said when they see the man.

The second child found herself increasing the pace of her stride as she made her way to the entertainment room. She knew that she would have to get there early if she wanted to get control over the TV. And she needed to see her show today.

When she walked into the large room she had only a few meager minutes left before her show started. But who she saw controlling the object of her desire made her grit her teeth, clench her fist and almost scream bloody murder. But she didn't scream because she knew that if she did, she would lose her integration privileges tomorrow. So instead she stomped towards the couch and flopped beside the person who held the remote.

Click. "And the weather today is a blistering One hundred--"

Click "And for you to get the award winning--"

Click " Today we will observe the praying mantis. Like the black widow this man eater--"

Click "No I'm sorry that answer was Bordeaux--

Click

Asuka's left eye started to twitch as she scowled at the little old woman next to her. The woman's name was Agnes and this was what she always did. She clicked the channels of the TV about once every five seconds, never watching anything but she always had to have the remote in her hand. Agnes was one of Chang-san many patients who transferred to Japan when the good doctor got hired to work for NERV. She was one of the few American patients in this hospital. Like many patients Agnes lost her sense of reality after the second impact. She was sweet in her own way, if you ignored her obsession with the remote, but she refused to accept the world she lived in. So instead, she chose to live within her memories and addressed everyone with the names of her family and friends that died.

Click "Ladies and Gentlemen, this great deal is not sold in stores, so order now---"

Click. "Will Naniko marry Tomoyo? OR will the reemergence of Tomoyo's father be the final blow to this already battered relationship? Find out now on--

Click

"Aaarrgh!!!" The second child yelled, stood up and towered angrily over the elderly woman. That was her show! And if she didn't turn back RIGHT NOW there was going to be hell to pay! Her heated actions quickly gained the attention of the other occupants in the room, but Asuka took no heed to them.

The aged woman looked up at the girl in front of her and brushed back her salt and pepper colored hair with an arthritis withered hand. "You need something, Penny?"

Asuka furrowed her brow in confusion then looked side to side to see if Penny was around. She wasn't trying to be funny, she already knew that the woman didn't address people with their given name. It was just that Agnes usually called her Francine, and the person she usually called Penny was a disgusting, overweight MALE orderly. Asuka was insulted to the core of her being when she realized that "Penny" wasn't there and Agnes was talking to HER.

"I'm Francine" Asuka corrected testily with her nostrils flaring only slightly. The nerve of that old woman, calling her Penny.

"Huh?" The old woman asked, putting her hand to her ear , even though she clearly heard the red haired girl.

The second waved her hand and shook her head no, the name thing wasn't even worth fussing about. She had more important things to fuss about like the "The remote." The teen snapped as she did her best to maintain low tones.

Agnes looked back at the pilot with wide innocent eyes. She was about to pretend she didn't hear the girl again but one look at the pilot made her think better of it. Instead she responded with "But.. I'm watching TV" Then to make her point she leaned her head and her body to the side to see the TV.

Click.

Asuka glanced at back the TV just in time to see it clicked to a different channel. "You're obviously not watching anything of any worth." The second child grit out before she turned back and glared at the woman. "The remote, if you please." Asuka tersely demanded again and held her hand out to receive the item. "Give. It. To. Me."

The old woman looked down and stared at the plastic control device in her hand then she glanced back up at the teenager in front of her and gently answered. "No"

"N-n-no?" Asuka sputtered and rapidly blinked her crystal blue eyes. She couldn't believe her ears. "I know you didn't just say no!"

"It sounded like a no to me" Chimed a velvety tenor voice from behind.

The second child didn't even bother to turn around. She knew exactly who it was. Instead, she grit her teeth even more and bit out. "Mind your own damn business, Kaworu!"

He chuckled softly and walked further into the room. "You know very well, Asuka-koi that you are my business." He then gave his full attention to Agnes and started walking toward the older woman.

The second child's whole body went tensely rigid with anger when the boy walked passed her. Instead of watching whatever he was doing; she chose to pinch her eyes shut and scowl. In her opinion, Kaworu was such an insufferable flirt and even more of a pain in the ass. She wished that he would stop playing these mind games and just leave her alone. It wasn't funny. Especially since what pushed her over the mental and emotional edge was an unrequited love. She felt that it was cruel of him to play with her feelings and pretend that he liked her liked her when he didn't. It also made her feel a tad bit guilty for making Shinji pass out during his first kiss. Though she still felt it wasn't her fault that the third child was so gullible. The baka shouldn't have let her hold his nose! However, she did feel bad because she took advantage of his vulnerable state to get rid of her boredom. But back to the important matter at hand, which was her. Kaworu was playing with HER emotions! He was always flirting with her, always complimenting her, always making her feel like she was the center of his universe. He was always AROUND. But the bad part of the this was that she liked it. No matter how hard she tried not to. She liked it. And to her ultimate horror.... She liked him. A lot. And she hated him for making her feel that way.

Her thoughts, however, were interrupted when she sensed Kaworu's close proximity to her and heard his smooth, confident voice when he suggested.

"You shouldn't frown so much...." He caressed her cheek then whispered tenderly. "Because you never know who's falling in love with your smile."

When the cool plastic remote was slipped in her tiny hand, her crystal blue eyes snapped open. Kaworu was so close there were practically nose to nose. But what she found in his crimson depths made her believe his words and believe all of his past flirtatious remarks. It was almost as if through those exotic orbs he was baring his soul for her to see, and what she saw was....

Too much.

It was one thing to have a crush, but to be confronted with... She narrowed her eyes, slightly, and searched deeper... What exactly was she seeing in his eyes?.... Was that... LOVE?

She wasn't sure....

She'd never seen love before.

Well.... not like the way Kaworu was projecting it towards her.

It scared her....

It completed her...

It made her feel nauseous....

But it wasn't exactly a bad feeling.

It wasn't exactly a good feeling either....

Everything felt like it went topsy turby.

Yet everything seemed so much clearer...

Oh she was so confused. Then to make matters worse, she felt herself flush and her cheeks blush so violently that they actually burned. And as if to make the moment complete, the pilot felt the corners of her mouth involuntarily tug upward until she ...smiled.

Oh God no!! What the HELL was her body doing?!!! That's not what she meant to do! Why couldn't she control her actions?!!

What's more, it wasn't just any smile, mind you. It was a special smile, just for him. And as she smiled, this special smile, she involuntarily hoped that he would love that smile too.

When Asuka had opened her eyes, Kaworu studied her azure orbs as she studied his. When the floodgates of her emotions opened up, he was almost overwhelmed. He could tell precisely when she finally dismissed the doubt of his intentions, and was overjoyed. Then she blushed. The boy found it hard to school his reaction. His eyes became comically wide. Her heated reaction surprised him; he never knew that lillum could turn that shade of ..what was that? Purple? Then she smiled, and to him it was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. To him, it rivaled everything that was in heaven. And he couldn't help himself from smiling back. Sadly, before he could savor this pleasant interaction, a horrified look graced her face.

When the silver haired boy smiled back at her, Asuka finally gained a semblance of control over her actions and the special smile completely disappeared. The second child was so ashamed of her actions that she actually felt like she was going to DIE of embarrassment!! NEVER in all her young years, had a guy ever generated such a reaction from her. Not even Kaji! With that realization, the pilot's eyes widened in horror. How could anyone surpass her unfathomable feelings for Kaji?

That's when Asuka spun on her heals and ran out the room.

"Hey!!" Agnes yelled affronted "She took the remote control!"

The divine child glanced at the irate older woman before he returned his gaze towards the fleeting form of his true love. When she disappeared around the corner, he was tempted to follow her but decided against it. It wasn't like he had to *physically* be with her, to be *with* her. He slipped his hands in the pockets of his hospital gown as a serene close lipped smile pasted itself on his face. A mischievous twinkle shimmered in Kaworu's crimson eyes as his angelic mind started forming a not so angelic plan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few floors down, in another part of the hospital.

Misato sat in a requisitioned Lazyboy recliner, leaned over the arm-rest and retrieved Ritsuko's diary from her briefcase. She knew that by reading this personal manuscript she was committing a complete invasion of her friend's privacy, but what she read in the doctor's journal made the major realize that she really didn't know Ritsuko at all. But moreover, it made her realize that Ritsuko hadn't truly been her friend for a very long time.

By reading Ritsuko's diary, Misato found out that the doctor suffered from severely low self-esteem and a terrible identity crisis.

The doctor's problems started when Ritsuko was child. Her parents sent her away to the same posh boarding school her mother went to as a child. The entire time, from grades K-12, the young girl was compared to her mother. The looming shadow of her mother's insurmountable accomplishments pushed her to her limits as she tried not to let anyone down. However, no matter what she did it was never enough. Her mother was a prodigy, where she was just smart. Her mother was beautiful, were she just pretty. Her mother was talented and she was just..... not.

Unfortunately, the comparison didn't stop after she left boarding school. Even in college she was known as Naoko Akagi daughter, never Ritsuko, just "Aren't you Naoko Akagi's daughter?"

It got so bad that she went to extreme measures to claim her own identity. In a disastrous display of rebellion she had bleached her hair blond. Most of it fell out. It was then, after her bad bleach job that she met Kaji. He liked her for who she was and never brought up her mother. Though he did make a million and one good humored jokes about her hair. It wasn't long before the two started dating and for the first time in Ritsuko's life, she was happy. Really happy. The two dated for almost a year before she met Misato. And it was when they met the soft spoken and shy Misato did Ritsuko feel that her life started to once again, fall toward the fiery pit of hell.

Unfortunately, it was only now, through Misato's reading, did the major finally realize how much Akagi truly loved her, now, fiancé, the truth on how Ritsuko felt when the doctor's once intimate relationship she had with Kaji included Misato. .and what morals the blond compromised just to stay with him

The tripod sickened the doctor.

And because Akagi just quietly left the three-way relationship and never confronted her, Misato never knew how hurt the doctor was when Kaji became more interested in her.

But Ritsuko wrote her anguish in ink, blood and tears.

Misato cried when she read this and confronted Kaji. She accused him of being insensitive to Ritsuko's feelings, all the while conveniently leaving herself out. Kaji, however, was kind enough to point the finger at her and her insensitivity. The fight they had almost broke them up. The only thing that saved their relationship was that like Misato, Kaji truly didn't know that Ritsuko's love for him ran so deep. The woman was a master at hiding her feelings.

Speaking of hiding her feelings, the hot headed Misato wasn't so bad at it herself. Hearing the clickity clack of angry footsteps, she quickly put the diary back into the briefcase and pulled out a red leather bound book of poetry. She gently she ran her slender fingers over the gold leaf lettering as she absently read the title, The Masters of Poetry, Greatest Collection, VII Edition. The major was personally given this book by the Commander and ordered to read the marked pages. Later she found out that from Fuyutsuki that when Shinji was little his mother used to read him poems from this book. Then the 2nd commander let it slip that Gendo used to read Rei poems from this same book when she was little and the two children fancied the same exact poems. She opened the book to a well worn dog eared page and quickly yet carefully turned the waif thin papers to one particular poem. Strangely enough, it was the poem that both children seemed to love the most. The Epitaph- Looking Through a Mirror. However to the major, it seemed more like an omen to their future than just a great piece of literary work.

Through the glass, an eye does see,
A moving story, colloquy.
A man in armor, shining bright
A talon emblem, a warrior knight

Heads upon, a trail of myth,
Not a stumble, his step to fifth.
But fear encroaches, on heart of stone,
For finds he, in the forest alone.

The shadowed woods, reaches outward
Snuffing the spirit, of peasant or lord.
Sir knight is bold, braving it out,
While keeping his eye moving about.

A cry for help, and a gallop away,
Pulling his sword, to have his way.
With demon or man, it matters not
For the taloned knight, will pull his lot.

Through the dense forest, he gallops his steed.
Scratches and abrasions, he partakes no heed.
His heart is involved, which once was cold.
Chivalry pounded; demanding its flow.

Out into the clearing, his head held high.
Slaying the creatures, as he rushes on by.
Yelling in triumph, on to the lake,
To save the damsel whose life is at stake.

Sudden agony; fresh blood at his side.
His guard was down, and an arrow did strike.
Tossed out of the saddle, he lands beseeched,
But gritting his teeth, he rolls to his feet.

Wildly thrusting, his sword did impale.
A creature most foul, it's head did he nail.
With a flick of the wrist, the blade comes free.
But his strength is spent, and he falls to his knee.

Glancing around, with sweat drenched brow.
All the creatures were slain, slaughtered like sow.
Crawling to the edge, of the lake most pure.
Enchanted by the woman, whose life he ensured.

His eyes, emblazoned, with pain most severe,
With a last glimpse... a prim face, and silvery hair.
The feelings on his cheek, as his consciousness fled,
Were a warm touch of skin, and a caress to the head.

Misato was interrupted by snort and a hiss of "How many times are you going to read that blasted poem?!"

"As many time as it takes" The 4th commander shot back angrily.

Ritsuko momentarily paused in the doorway and glowered at the woman in the chair right before storming into the room. Oh she hated Misato with an unbridled passion. Almost as much as she hated Rei. It was only now that she allowed herself to express that hate.

Cautiously and silently, Misato watched the woman enter, then gave a quick glance back at the door to make sure the two NERV agents that escorted the doctor were there. They were. She then found herself letting out a breath she didn't know she was holding.

"Has there been any change that you may have taken a note too?" Akagi asked in a tone that clearly said she didn't care either way.

"Umm... Rei moved her left hand" Misato's voice sounded excited and it reflected in her posture as she sat up in her chair. She was still amazed that the 3rd commander was able to move any portion of her left side after the brain trauma she received from the angel attack. "I didn't move it ..." She assured then pointed at the boy "And see, Shinji moved his into the same exact position."

Ritsuko glanced at Shinji's hand then roughly moved it.

"Was that really necessary, Rit-chan?!" Misato yelled as she stood up.

"Yes... it was" The woman hissed then spun to face her and sneered "And don't you ever call me that again." She then returned to her task. She took a hypodermic straight pin out of the front pocket of her coat, uncapped it and then grabbed Rei's tiny left hand.

The two agents walked into the room, placing a hand on their gun. They were just waiting for her to try anything malicious to the comatose girl.

Ritsuko sighed irritably, knowing that her actions were closely watched. Then with more delicacy than she wanted to use, she started to prick the tips of Rei's fingers. The doctor scowled as the response was immediate.

Misato gave a happy and hopeful closed lip smile as she watch the fingers of Shinji's right hand jerk back as if they were trying to escape what was causing him pain. She knew that he was mimicking his wife's actions. She hoped that with Rei's constant recovery, the two newlyweds would be waking up soon. She wasn't sure how much longer she could bare their unconscious state.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the same room, but a different mental plain.

"Ouch!!" Shinji wined as he grabbed the fingers of his left hand "I wish she'd stop doing that! It HURTS!"

Rei smiled at her husband and shook her head. She was sitting in a field of roses, which weren't on a bush, instead they grew up like wild flowers. "It doesn't hurt that much..." She replied teasingly then looked at her left hand and wiggled her fingers. "Anyway... I think it feels... kind of good..."

"That's because you're a masochist" The boy pouted playfully as he kissed the tips of his fingers to soothe them "Ow! For crying out loud does she have to poke us so deeply!"

Rei laughed. Ever since Shinji was almost cooked alive in the bathtub, he had been calling her that. She sighed out the last of her mirth and explained, "Koi, it feels good to know that even in this inebriated state, my body is sufficiently healing itself." She held out her hand to him so he could give her the same healing treatment that he was giving himself. Though she could bare pain better than him, he was right, the constant probing hurt. "Not bragging or anything.... but my body really is quite amazing."

"You're preaching to the choir, baby" Shinji agreed libidinously while bestowing a playful lecherous gaze up and down her body.

Rei blinked, hard. Then started laughing again. "Hentai."

"Me?" He asked innocently then continued incredulously "You're the one parading in this mental world in the buff."

Rei's eyes widened in playful anger as she defended in an indignant monotone voice "Lest you forgot, this is your mental projection of me" .

Shinji laughed. "No koishii, I haven't forgotten.... since we're talking about mental projections here... I've seen jay birds with more on than I do."

The pilot of Unit-00 gave her husband a sensuous appraisal before she wrapped her arms around his neck. "So the sin's mine... what of it?" She then gave him a suggestive playful shrug of her delicate eyebrows.

It was strange but wonderful being here. Every thought was shared. Even in her anger she was still there, she just chose not to project a mental image of herself. But she was still there and he could hear her angry thoughts, as she could hear his. Everything was simultaneous. It took about a week to get used to all of her mental noise. Which was surprising because his soft spoken, more often than not quiet, wife had A LOT of mental noise. Not only that, Rei was not exactly the nicest person in her thoughts. Sarcastic comments that would never pass through her perfect lips were now heard loud and clear. Her mind reminded him of a computer, thinking about a million things at once. Every thought, every memory that was hers was opened up for him. And Rei knew about things, secret things that no one should ever have to know about. She had seen things that no one should have ever seen and she had been through things that no one should have been through. It surprised him that she wasn't a vicious hateful person. It wasn't like she was an optimist, because she wasn't. However, she wasn't a pessimist either. Nor was she apathetic. When she believed in something, she was willing to die to accomplish it.

And that was the problem. As much as he tried, he couldn't make her understand that her life was more important than what she felt was her purpose. It was almost like she still believed that she was an eternal being.

"Seriously though, koishii." The male pilot laughed. He loved being here, with her, and only her. "Does your S2 organ have to heal your body so quickly?" He gently took one of her hand ands started giving her finger tips sultrily kisses "I mean... (kiss) ... pretty soon we won't be able to remain unconscious.... (kiss) and then... (kiss) ...Father is going to make you... (kiss).... go back to work..." Shinji turned her hand until it was palm face up then kissed it. "I mean... (kiss) you know... (kiss, lick) ...this is probably the only honeymoon we'll get." In actuality, Shinji didn't want her going back to work because he didn't want her going back into that Eva.

Rei felt her mental self blush when Shinji started making little libidinous circles with his tongue then blew on it lightly. "I know, koi" She flushed "...but we are going to have to wake up eventually...."

"Koishii, I hope we never wake up." He breathed out right before he pulled her close and kissed her mouth deeply.

When they parted, the first child frowned slightly. "Koi... you know we have to wake up soon. We can't stay here forever--"

"We can try" He cut in hopefully.

The first child untangled herself from his grip and crossed her arms.

The third knew that the mood was now ruined and his wife was upset. Unlike him, Rei wanted to wake up. Being idle didn't bide well with her. This has been an ongoing argument between them, and he didn't want to go though it, again. You would think that being constantly around each other, mind, body, and soul, for 24hrs a day, and 7 days a week they would always be happy. Shinji just didn't understand his wife sometimes. Why wasn't she as happy as he was?

"If you wanted to always be 'One' koibito... you shouldn't have rejected the third impact"

"If I knew it would be like this....." Shinji shot back in a smart alick tone as he gestured to the picturesque mental surrounding "Then I wouldn't have" When she looked away, he sighed regrettably and hugged her, slightly forcing her to rest her head against his chest.

A few minutes later, Rei offered. "Your friends are sad, koibito". She then looked up and directly into his dark blue eyes. "Don't you think that purposely staying this way... what we are doing... is unfair... to your friends?"

"Not really" He whispered lovingly and truthfully as he tightened his hold around her slender waist. His friends were the last thing on his mind. He was trying to save his wife by staying here.

He also knew that his bride didn't care about his friends; she just wanted to get back to the real world. She wanted to get back to work and finish what she started, what almost got her killed in the first place, the Tojiru Project. But Shinji would rather live a life of being comatose than have her go back to that.

Rei lowered her gaze, pressed her lips together in a disappointed fashion and disappeared. With her disappearance also went the mental world, which was a field of flowers, they were in.

"Rei-chan!!" The third child yelled exasperated as the void began to surround his mental image. But no reply came. Rei was stubborn, and she wanted to go back. She wanted to wake up. For almost a month, she had humored his desire to stay. Only because she loved him. If it was up to her she would have subsisted completely to her S2 organ and probably woken up in a week's time. And as the days wore on, Shinji found it increasingly hard to find way to keep his wife busy in the combined dream world of theirs. He knew it wouldn't be long before they were going to wake. But for now, he just waited, as he always did when Rei had one of her tantrums, waited for her mental image to reappear, and thought of a way to make amends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From her bed, the second child absently noticed that it was still raining outside. She listened to the gentle pitter-patter rhythm of the raindrops as they hit and trickled down her windowpane. This sound would have been soothing, almost therapeutic, in its gentle drumming if it wasn't... She sat up slightly, perched herself on her elbows and looked at her alarm clock

" 4 o'clock in in the f*cking morning!!!!"

Irritably, Asuka kicked the thin bedcovers off of her. She was tired and cranky and she had been waking up in 15 minute intervals all night. No, she wasn't cranky, she was embarrassed... and giddy... and shamed... yet... sorta happy. She shook those conflicting thoughts out of her head and sat completely up. She was *not* going to think about what Kaworu did to her. She was *not* going to remember being humiliated, almost to the point of tears, after she realized that her body betrayed her. AGAIN!! She was *not* going to remember that she smiled at him. SMILED and BLUSHED PROFUSELY at Wondergirl's brother after he said something so infuriatingly... wonderful.

The second child let out a hopeless groan. She was falling for him and falling HARD.

No! She was *not* going to think about _that_! Moreover, she was *not* going to accept *that* to being the reason why she couldn't get a decent night's sleep.

So instead of accepting the truth, the pilot glared at the rain drenched window as if it were offending her, swung her legs over the side of the bed, grouchily stalked toward the window, then reached up and pulled the shade down, hard. Almost ripping the intertwined bamboo from its hinges.

"For crying out loud!!!" She yelled as she spun around and headed back for her bed. "It's been raining for a six hours now!!! How's a girl supposed to get any sleep when the rain beating away like a blasted drum all night long!!"

If Chang-san had observed this behavior, she knew that he would have told her that her displaced actions were the result of forced _denial_. But Chang-san wasn't here. Not that she would have cared anyway to what he had to say. Well, that wasn't... exactly true. She had a new and profound respect for him after she found out what he lived through. However, as it concerned the problem at hand, she didn't care about his opinion. And as far as she was concerned, it was the rain that was keeping her up. She had to blame her sleepless night, correction, and sleepless_ nights_ on something... because if she didn't then she would have to acknowledge what was really keeping her awake. Or better yet, _who_ was keeping her awake.

The second child crawled back into bed, laid on her stomach, buried her face in her pillow, and threw the thin covers over her body and head. In her opinion, it was freezing in this hospital, even colder than in NERV. Her assumption for the frigid temperature was that she and the other residents were being punished for being crazy. That's the only thing she could think of to explain the unbearable cold.

"Now finally..." She sighed wearily. "I can get some sleep" She closed her crystal blue eyes and tried to force herself to sleep. All was going well for about fifteen minutes.

~~ Empty darkness surrounded the second child. It was cold and she was alone. This is how all her dreams started. Like always, she called out into it, only to be answered by her own echo. Again, she called out for someone, anyone... She just needed to know if someone else was in this vast darkness with her. One would think she was having a nightmare. Yet at this moment, Asuka felt that she was have a pleasant dream. She called out one more time, expecting her echo to call back to her, but this time, she was answered with a beacon of light that sliced though, and chased away the darkness, basking her in warmth. It was now that the nightmare began. Light particles started fusing together until they started taking the shape of a person. Crimson eyes first appeared then flawless porcelain skin, then silver hair, then...

"You called?" asked a velvety tenor voice. ~~

Crystal blue eyes snapped open and the young pilot angrily sat up on her knees and punched her pillow. "Get out of my head!!" She commanded as she pounded the pillow again and again, imagining it to be the unwanted object of her dreams.

As she did this an orderly passed her open door ,looked in and arched a curious brow.

Asuka stopped her assault on her pillow and asked the man with an aristocratic indignation "Can I help you?"

"I'm just making sure you're ok." He answered with forced calm. He didn't want her to redirect her anger to him. Not again anyway.

"Well, as you can see, I'm fine" She shooed him away almost royally and said haughtily, "Now if you don't mind." She gestured prettily to the object on her bed. "I am having a discussion with my pillow."

He paused a bit and watched her, then shrugged before he decided to continue on his rounds. In his opinion, if she wasn't hurting herself, she was ok. And if she wasn't trying to hurt him that was even better.

After she was sure he was out of ear shot, the second child relaxed, sat on her knees on the bed and groaned. "I really need a door."

Unfortunately, none of the residents who weren't prone to wondering off or a danger to others had a door.

Asuka glanced at the clock. It was now 4:27am. She sighed pitifully for she knew that she wasn't going to get any sleep tonight, and though she wasn't acknowledging certain things, she knew that her inability to sleep was all _his_ fault.

"I hate you Kaworu!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two rooms down, a young angelic teen, turned to his side and mumbled to himself, with a mischievous smirk on his face. "I don't know what you're getting so huffy about Asuka-koi.... You're one who keeps calling *me* into your dream."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day.

"He is such a damn flirt!" Asuka growled under her breath as she tried to banish the memory of this mornings breakfast. She tried to forget Kaworu's flirtatious smirk and the soft touch of his fingers as he purposefully kept brushing them against her hand whenever he had to pass her something.

He was incorrigible! And she was loving every minute of it. Much to her displeasure.

Asuka didn't understand why he was getting to her. It wasn't like guys hadn't tried to flirt with her before. So why was he inhibiting her ability to sleep?

Kaworu quietly stared at the hot headed red head who was angrily talking to herself. He had been standing in her doorway for a few minutes now. He smirked at her grumpy disposition, for he knew that she was pissed about last night's nocturnal visits. She would probably wring his neck if she knew he used his powers to enter her dreams. He loved that about her. She was vibrant, a challenge and would always be one. He was a challenge too. Well, so said his siblings. He was the Angel of Free Will, but in heaven he was the angel of practical jokes. Like Rei, everyone was so stiff, dutiful and serious all the time. He only tried to loosen them up a bit. He inwardly frowned as he thought about his departure from heaven. It was almost like his other siblings were glad to see him leave

Asuka looked up from tying her shoe laces and glared at the boy in front of her. The boy who was in her room, uninvited. AGAIN. In a brief memory flash, she remembered their first meeting. Because of his odd features, she was surprised she didn't catch the relation, right off. She dreamed about him often enough, before she met him, that is.

At that acknowledgment, she frowned at him. No, scowled.

She was here so she could *forget* about Rei Ayanami... <no they said I must accept ... that she mar--married Shinji.> She wanted to forget Rei Ikari, but how could she... with that dream boy, Rei's BROTHER, always in her face!

She told Chang-san about her dreams, before she and Kaworu met. The one were he took over her body . The doctor told her that it was her subconscious, combining the image of Shinji and Rei so that she could gradually learn to forgive the first child, and see her as something more than a doll.

But he was WRONG!! Kaworu was no figment of the imagination! He was real! And really annoying!!

"Where are you headed?" Kaworu asked cheerfully as he rocked on the balls of his feet.

His simple question broke her train of thought and she frowned at him "None of your damn business!" Then stood up, pushed past him and stomped out of her room. There was easily enough room to walk around him without coming in contact with him, but it was the principle of the whole thing. And she didn't do just so she could... touch him. So she told herself. Because she didn't like touching him. So she told herself.

The boy angel caught her hint, so he did the only thing he could do. He followed her. He *did* leave heaven for her after all. He wasn't going to give up because she *acted* like she wanted to be left alone.

At first, the second child didn't think much of the little tag along. She figured that he was on his way to the rec room or something. But when she passed the room and he was still behind her, she spun on her heels and grabbed him by the collar.

"Stop following me, dammit! What the hell is wrong with you!!"

"I'm crazy" Kaworu said innocently and without fear. Then looked away wistfully "Well ,that's what they tell me anyway."

She shook her head at him. He was a strange one. But that didn't surprise her, everyone in this place was strange. She wanted to go back to that isolated room she had been in for two weeks before they brought her here. At least there she had some peace and quiet. Here, there were people screaming, yelling and singing incoherent songs at all hours of the day. Not only that, the patients here were always running around, throwing things, and purposefully making themselves sick. She felt she didn't belong here.

When Kaworu returned his gaze to her and smiled adoringly, Asuka roughly let him go. She wanted to beat him into a pulp for bothering her, but if she got into another fight, she would get restrained. Again.

Kaworu watched her absently rub her wrist and smirked. It took 10 men, 10 large men to hold her down. She may have been thin but she was definitely not weak. Most of the staff was now afraid of her and none would approach her alone.

"Where are you going?" He asked again.

She wanted to tell him to buzz off, but she couldn't find it in herself to do it again. He was so much like the guy in her dreams. He even sounded like him. "I'm going to explore. I've been here for almost a month and the rain canceled our reintegration day, so I want to see what this place has to offer." She spun on her heels making her long hair fan out and continued on her way.

The angel smiled and followed closely. He knew an invitation when he heard one.

That was how it began. the relationship between Asuka and Kaworu.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was June 30th. Rei's birthday. Misato had gotten permission to allow Kensuke, Touji, Hikari, and Kimiko to visit the sleeping newlyweds, in hopes that maybe their presence would trigger them to wake up.

The visit was tense, to say the least. When all were in the room with the couple, an awkward silence set in. What does one say to someone in a coma?

It was Hikari who decided to break the ice, carefully sitting next to Rei, and started talking to her. The others really couldn't do anything but listen to her relate everyday events to the blue haired girl. Under other conditions, the topic of conversation would have been labeled as meaningless, but right here and now, it was exactly what was needed. But they had to admire Hikari. They all knew how nerve wracking the situation was. They were in the presence of two of their dearest friends, both barely hanging on to their lives by a thread. And yet, she was able to overcome the tension and do what she thought she must to help her friends. Pretty soon, the others found strength in her initiative, and started chipping in the 'conversation', one sided as it was.

They must have talked about nothing and everything. Touji and Kensuke even tried teasing Shinji like they always did. Even Kimiko overcame her embarrassment and actually brought up the dance contest, hoping to get a reaction from Rei. And eventually, as it always happens with one sided conversations, they ran out of things to say. They really weren't expecting the couple to react, let alone wake up. But they couldn't help but feel a sense of failure at the lack of response from the newlyweds.

Sensing the mood slip away, Misato quickly spoke up, "Come on guys, let's head outside. You all look exhausted."

As all started to get up and leave, Hikari lingered for a moment longer, gently squeezing Rei and Shinji's hands, and said "Please come back to us soon. We miss you."

After a moment's pause, she too got up and left the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the mental plain, both Shinji and Rei held up their hands, a puzzled look on their faces.

"What was that? Did you feel it too, Rei-chan?"

"Yes," she answered, "I don't know what it was, but it felt..."

"... warm", they said at the same time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The four teens were led to a small room. It looked almost like a hospital's waiting room, with an assortment of couches, chairs, and oddly enough a TV and VCR set. It was a bit crowded so the Major left to get some coffee. However, she failed to notice her briefcase, laying half open and forgotten next to where she was sitting. As Touji noticed it, one particular item caught his eye.

"Hey Misato... what's this? A movie?" Touji called out.

But it was too late. She didn't hear him for she as already down the hall.

Kensuke got up and retrieved the tape in question. He eyed the VCR, then the tape, then looked back at Touji.

Practically reading his friend's face, Touji asked, "Do you think she'd mind?"

Kensuke, ever the curious one, especially when it comes to NERV related material, quickly answered "What harm could it do? I'll pop it in."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Misato was waiting for the coffee pot to brew while sipping one of her own. While bitter, she needed every drop. Several sleepless nights were beginning to take their toll on her. She was soon joined by Maya Ibuki. However, the young tech wasn't here for the coffee. She was bringing several urgent reports to the Major, now an acting replacement for Rei. But Maya wasn't entirely insensitive to Misato's condition. In a sympathetic voice, she asked, "Major, when was the last time you had some sleep? You look exhausted."

Misato chuckled softly. "Don't worry about me, Maya. It'll pass. And if you think I look bad, you should see how the kids are. I wonder what they're doing?"

"Oh I just passed by there.... They're watching some movie." Maya said dismissively as she tried to hand Misato another paper.

The purple haired woman purposefully ignored the order for another - in her opinion- useless research project and concentrated on her bitter coffee. She wondered how Rei could stand all this busy work without ripping her hair out. But before she could give it more thought, something almost audibly clicked in her mind. "What are you talking about? There are no movies in ---" The major cut herself off as her eyes widened in remembrance!! The TAPE!! How could she have forgotten the tape!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

// Akagi: What's the matter Rei-chan?

Rei: I'm lost. //

"Oh lookie" Kimiko cooed "It's Rei and she's so little!!"

"She looks so cute in that little outfit." The class rep cooed as well. "I wonder why she doesn't wear that color anymore. It looks great on her."

"Hey, is that Dr. Akagi's mother?" Touji asked, looking at Kensuke for confirmation.

The other boy shrugged. "I'm not sure."

"So that's what NERV looks like?" Hikari asked everybody yet nobody in particular. She always wondered what it looked like and the class rep wasn't impressed.

"Do you think we should be watching this?" Kimiko asked a bit worriedly. "I mean... this could be.. I dunno... classified or something."

"If if was classified it wouldn't be here" Suzuhara said matterfactly .

Kensuke nodded in agreement with his friend.

// Akagi: Is that so? Do you want to come with me then?

Rei: No.

Akagi: But how will you get home by yourself?

Rei: That is none of your business, old hag. //

"What?!!!!" The four teens yelled in unison.

"What did Rei just call her?" Kensuke asked again. The hacker was stunned by Rei's behavior. He looked around the room for someone to give him an answer but everyone looked just as shocked as he was.

// Akagi: What...

Rei: I can get home by myself. Leave me alone, old hag.

Akagi: You shouldn't call someone a hag. //

"Yeah Rei" The class rep agreed as she nodded dumbly. "That's... that's just not nice."

// Rei: But you are an old hag, aren't you?

Akagi: I am getting angry. Commander Ikari will spank you.

Rei: The Commander is the one who calls you that. //

"Ouch,...." Touji laughed then mimicked Rei's sweet calm tone. "The Commander is the one who calls you that, you old hag."

Kensuke chuckled at his friend's imitation.

// Akagi: That's...

Rei: That old hag is annoying. That old hag is no use anymore. That old hag is annoying. That old hag is no use anymore. That old hag is annoying. That old hag is no use anymore. That old hag is annoying. That old hag is no use anymore. That old hag is annoying. That old hag is no use anymore. That old hag is annoying. That old hag is no use anymore. That old hag is annoying. That old hag is no use anymore. That old hag is annoying. That old hag is no use anymore. //

"Woah!!" Touji breathed out totally shocked. His eyes were as wide as saucers.

"I can't believe she actually repeated all that!" Hikari breathed out in shocked awe.

"I know! Look how mad that woman is now!" Kimiko pointed out dumbstruck. "I bet Rei is going to get in really big trouble."

Flabbergasted, Kensuke couldn't comment on what had just transpired. Instead kept his eyes trained on the screen . Behind his glasses, blue eyes widened in fear when heard the elder Doctor Akagi scream

// You little bitch! Did you know you're replaceable too, Rei? Replaceable just like me! //

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Misato heard the horrified screams from the terrified teenagers, she ran back into the waiting room. Her brown eyes widened in horror at what they were watching. Then she screamed along with the children when she watched the distraught elder Akagi jump off the balcony after she realized what she did to the child. The screams were enough to attract the agents stationed nearby.

In their present condition, none of the room's occupants noticed an unseen observer, rounding the corner and heading towards Rei and Shinji's room. Upon further inspection, they would have seen a cold, calculating, but nonetheless murderous look in Doctor Ritsuko Akagi's eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Okay, just wait... a little bit longer.... Now! Go now!"

With a quick dash, Asuka and Kaworu avoided being spotted yet again by another swiveling security camera. Their exploration has indeed been entertaining, but the mental ward had only so much to offer. They eventually got to exploring the lower levels, but the lower they went, the tighter security got as well. However, we're talking about a boy with near angelic abilities, and a fully trained NERV pilot. Avoiding motorized surveillance cameras and the occasional guards was little more than child's play, no pun intended. At one point, they heard some commotion from one of the rooms, but decided to avoid going in. They weren't trying to attract attention to their presence here, and the screams from that place rivaled that of their group therapy sessions.

Moving along, Asuka no longer felt Kaworu at her side. Looking behind her shoulder, she found him staring intently at one of the doors lining the wall. Walking back to him, she asked, "What is it? Is something wrong?"

Looking at his companion, then back at the door, Kaworu simply stated "We should go in here."

"Why?" Asuka asked unimpressed as she favored a glance at the door. "It's probably just another hospital room, like all the others. Come on, there has to be something better worth seeing around here." And with that, she started walking away, but didn't get far, as a gentle grip on her wrist held her in place.

"Please Asuka-koi."

Asuka froze. Looking back at the hand holding her wrist, then at the hand's owner, her mind was practically screaming at her. All her being was yelling at her to slap the offending hand away, to scream at the boy for daring to touch her. And yet... she didn't. She was still shocked as to how he was able to get such a reaction from her, but as of late, she wasn't rejecting the idea anymore. She's even started to accept the fact that she enjoyed it.

"Why?" she asked softy. "What could there possibly be in there that's got you so intent on showing it to me?"

Kaworu sighed, then looked her straight in the eyes. "Do you trust me?"

The question's bluntness, as well as the look in his eyes nearly made her take a step back. Gone was the playful smirk that always seemed plastered on his face. His expression had shifted to a serious one. She wasn't feeling threatened by that look, but she knew that he'd be expecting an honest answer. But then, she asked herself the same question. <Do I trust him?> This was the boy who supposedly invaded her body. This was the boy who was a pain in her side since the very first moment she laid eyes on him. This was Wondergirl's BROTHER for God's sake! But then her thoughts changed almost on their own accord. This was the boy who made her feel wanted. This was the boy who only looked at her with love, and asked nothing in return. This was the boy who made her... smile. Before she could hear herself say it, her answer came out in a breath.

"Yes, I do."

"Then follow me." Letting his hand slide from her wrist to hold her hand, he smiled, and led her to the door.

Once inside, Asuka wondered what all the fuss was about. Kaworu made it seem as if coming in here would be tantamount to a life changing experience. But it was just as she initially predicted. "This is just another hospital room! There's nothing here! Just these monitoring machines, probably hooked... up... to..."

Her voice dropped from an indignant shout to a whisper, to finally die out in her throat. They were here. Both of them. And from the looks of it, they've seen better days.

"Rei? Sh-Shinji?"

No response came.

Looking back, she saw Kaworu standing behind her. "What's wrong with them? Why are they here?"

He walked up till he was standing next to her. "I don't know, Asuka-koi, I came in here with you, remember? But it appears that they are in a coma," he said, gesturing to the machines surrounding the couple.

"No! This can't be! What did she do to him?!?"

Kaworu eyed her curiously. "What makes you think she did anything to him?"

"Oh come on! They're practically joined at the hip! Whatever it was, I'm sure she dragged him into it! She never cared about him. He practically worships the ground she walks on, and she doesn't even care!"

"Do you honestly believe that to be true?"

Asuka was on the verge of yelling yes. But again, he gave her that same look as earlier. That alone was enough to make her hesitate.

Kaworu returned his gaze towards his sister and walked over to her side. Slowly, and careful not to disturb all the tubes and needles sticking into her, Kaworu sat next to Rei on the bed. He gently brushed her bangs from her brow and asked in a melancholic whisper "What happened, little one?"

Asuka silently watched him those many minutes as he just stared at Rei. He looked as if he was waiting for her to answer him. If she didn't know better, it almost looked like Rei *was* answering him, but in a way that only he could hear. But of course, she knew better. However, the second child couldn't help but notice the intensity of his gaze or his term of endearment for her. A green seed of jealousy tried to plant itself within her but she quickly banished it, for she knew there was nothing to be jealous of.

When she first saw them... saw Rei... her first thought was <oh God! Hikari couldn't warn them and the hitmen pulled it off! I killed Kaworu's sister!!> But of course, she didn't admit *that* to Kaworu. He would hate her forever if he ever found out what she did. No, it was best to play it cool, pretend that she didn't know what was going on. And for the most part, she felt that she pulled it off. But as she looked at what she did, she felt sick inside. So sick in fact that she wanted to throw up. Rei looked so small on that bed. So small, fragile and innocent. She couldn't even fathom how or why she could hate Rei enough to honestly want the girl dead.

It took every ounce of strength for the second child, not to confess and beg Rei for forgiveness right then and there. But she didn't, because she felt that she didn't deserve Rei's forgiveness.

The angelic boy seem to notice the tension radiating off of his beloved. When he looked up at Asuka to make sure she was ok, he had to make a conscious effort not to smirk. She looked extremely guilty, and he knew why too. However, *she* didn't know that he knew. Nor did she know that it wasn't her fault that Rei and Shinji were in these comas, as he now did. But this Angel of Free Will was never one to look a gift horse in the mouth, and he gave his self proclaimed soon-to-be girlfriend a 'brave' smile and slowly stood up.

The second child swallowed hard as she stared at the boy in front of her. God he looked so sad, and yet, impassively strong. Almost as if he was holding back the flood gates of his emotions.

Kaworu glanced back but looked at Shinji this time, then let out a melancholic sigh, he slowly shook his head and before she could say anything, he began to speak.

"Asuka-koi... will you wait for me?"

Puzzled by his words, her brow furrowed. "Wait for you?... What do you mean?" She hoped that he didn't mean what she feared he meant. She hoped that he wasn't asking her to wait in HERE! With THEM! With the disastrous results of her actions.

"I just need... some... time." He admitted in a broken whisper and gave his attention to the tiled floor. "I wasn't expecting this."

She looked away from him and at the comatose newlyweds and sighed. "Yeah... I know what you mean."

"Will you wait for me... here?" He arched a hopeful brow.

She looked back at him, her crystal blue eyes were wide as she screamed the mental answer of <no f*cking way!!> But the way he looked at her, he looked so... broken. All she could do was give him a reluctant nod. It was the least she could do. "Sure... take as long as you need." Aversely she looked back at the sleeping couple. "It's not like I have anything better to do."

He gave her a grateful nod, then left with a few graceful steps towards the door. When he was sure he was out of her range of vision a calculating smirk graced his angelic lips. "I should be an actor!" He chuckled softly as he mentally compared this performance with the time he took over her body.

Even if his auburn haired love didn't realize it, she needed this. She needed this time to apologize because if she didn't, the guilt of what she did to his sister would forever eat at her and hinder her mental recovery. However, he knew that Asuka Sohyru Langely was too proud a person to ever ask for forgiveness. She was too unfamiliar with emotions, besides those of anger, to handle the act of asking for forgiveness with the delicacy called for in that type of situation. So doing it while she *thought* they couldn't hear her was perfect. Perfect for her and perfect for Shinji, who was the one who wanted to hear that apology.

Since he was giving Asuka her time to make amends, Kaworu decided to go investigate what all that commotion was in the room they had passed right before they found Shinji and Rei. Unfortunately, because he was timing his footsteps so that he could avoid being detected by the many security cameras, it was only by mere seconds did he miss running into the younger Dr. Akagi who was now going towards the way he just left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back in the mental plain, Shinji was observing Rei and getting increasingly worried with every second. A few moments ago, she just, for lack of a better term, spaced out. Right now she was just sitting there, with a far away look on her face, eyes vacant. Calling her name, shaking her, nothing made her snap out of her trance. The third child was two shades away from going into hysterics when she blinked twice, and looked at him.

"Rei-chan! Are you okay?"

It was Rei's turn to be confused now. "Why would I not be, koibito?"

"Well... you looked.. I mean..."

She quickly waved his questions away, and placed a hand on his cheek to comfort him. "It was nothing, Shinji. However, there is something you need to see, or more appropriately, hear."

"What do you mean?"

She gave him a beatific yet secretive smile.

For Rei, this was a perfect opportunity to convince Shinji to regain consciousness. Though her brother was vague about where he was staying and how he could *afford* housing and the cost of living, seeing how he had no job, Rei had just found out that Kaworu was granted a human vessel, and like her, he was now living in the land of lilium.

In spite of this, Rei could not tell Shinji that she had just linked and was talking to Kaworu. Nor could she tell him that she had just brought her brother up to speed on current events. Why? Because Kaworu begged her not to, even though Rei assured him that Shinji held no grudge against him. Kaworu still felt extremely guilty for deceiving the third child before the 3rd Impact and he wanted to make amends with the her husband *personally* However, hearing that Asuka was going to apologize, was going to prove invaluable to Shinji and to her situation.

Unlike her husband, Rei didn't need to hear an apology from the second child to forgive her. Simply for the fact that she held no personal grudge against the girl. Perhaps it was a divinity thing; although it was more likely for the fact that because the 3rd Commander had the clearance to know, she knew everything there was to know about the 2nd child. And she knew that Asuka was close to her breaking point even before Ritsuko convinced her to pay off those hit men. And contrary to popular belief and despite everything that had happened, Rei didn't hate Asuka. She disliked her personality, yes. But hate her? No. In fact, Rei was desperate to find something, anything that would redeem her fellow pilot, for she knew that Asuka was forever going to be part of her life, one way or another. Whether it was being Shinji's 'sister' or her 'sister- in-law' if Kaworu got his way. Which she knew he would, because just like she and Shinji, Asuka and Kaworu were soul mates. So in her opinion, it was better to bring out the olive branch now than hope and wait for another window of opportunity later.

Rei looked up at her husband and tilted her head innocently to the side as she mentally continued. "Will you do me a favor, koibito?"

"Anything." He answered in an worshiping whisper, then quickly corrected in a more stern tone. "Almost anything."

She pursed her lips a bit because she knew what 'almost anything' meant. "Do not worry Shinji, I am not asking to wake up?"

"Good, because I would say no."

At those words, all mental thought paused for a minute, and the young Mrs. Ikari just stared at her husband as if he were crazy. She couldn't believe it; he just used the "because you vowed to obey me and what I say is law voice."

"I thought you promised not to hold me to that vow."

"Rei..." He quickly soothed and rubbed her shoulders after he interpreted the tone she was using. "Rei-chan... lets not get into another fight. Okay?.. I love you."

It took a couple of seconds but she finally took a deep breath and breathed out her anger. This was not what she wanted to do either. She didn't want to get into another argument with him. She just wanted to wake up and finish the Tojiru Project. Despite the dangers, she needed to finish the Project... for Shinji. Because if she didn't, then they would missed their window of opportunity to free his mother from Unit 01. And if they didn't get her out, the result would be fatal. Rei loved her husband too much to let his mother die, even if it may cause her own death.

"I love you too, Koibito..." She whispered out as embraced him in a soulful hug. "Shinji... I am sorry. I... do not want to fight either."

The third child wrapped his arms around her, melding her closer to him. He kissed her temple and asked softly "What was your favor?"

Rei started and straightened her posture a bit. Being held in his arms, she had forgotten all about the favor. Shinji was the only one who could have that effect on her. He was the only person who could melt her resolve and turn her brain into jelly. Coming back to her wits, she looked up then rested her chin on his sternum.

"There is someone in the hospital room with us.... I think you should hear what she has to say."

His brow forked quizzically. "She?"

"Your questions will soon be answered.... But first you must help me open the link to the outside. As you already know... I cannot do it if you do not allow me to... So... will you?"

Shinji seemed a bit hesitant. He knew that by giving in to this request he would be giving her a little bit more control over their synchronization and that meant that they would be waking up sooner than he would like. But he could tell by her expression that this was important to her, so he reluctantly sighed out.

"Alright."

Rei gave him an encouraging smile, then took a deep breath and hoped that Kaworu was right about Asuka's remorse, because if she wasn't... if she wasn't sorry, then allowing Shinji to hear this confession was going to turn out really.... bad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Down the hall Misato and Maya were trying to calm down four very distraught teenagers.

"She killed her!" Kimiko whimpered out for the nth time. It was quickly becoming a mantra of hers. In a desire to comfort herself, she was crouched down and wrapped her arms tightly around her knees. "She killed her" She whimpered again.

Touji tried to ignore Kimiko's words as he held his girlfriend in a comforting embrace. The security of that hug was as much for his sake as it was for Hikari's. What they just witnessed was something no one should ever have to see. And he felt ten times worse knowing that Rei had lived through it.

Through her tears, Hikari rested her head on her boyfriend's shoulder and watched Kensuke's girlfriend. Kimiko was taking what she has just seen *really* hard. Not that the class rep felt that she was fairing any better, but at least she could accept the fact that Rei wasn't murdered. Unlike Kimiko, who was adamant that the first child had died by the elder Akagi's hands. When the raven-haired girl started rocking back and forth, Hikari wondered if Kimiko always did that when she was overly stressed. She remembered her doing the same thing at the fair, after Rei was shot.

"No, she didn't kill her" Misato lied as she crouched down by the girl and put a comforting arm around the girl's shoulder. "Rei had only passed out."

Kimiko absently shook her head no. Rei was dead. She saw it happen! She saw that woman kill Rei!

"Kimi-chan" Kensuke soothed as he kneeled in front of her and rested his hands on her knees. "Listen to Misato. There is *no way* that crazy b*tch killed Rei. I mean, think about... if she did... then Rei would still be dead. And we both know that she isn't."

Maya and Misato nodded in agreement as they both mentally hoped that the girl would finally *believe* the lie! For who knows what would happen if she didn't. Because as it stood now, they would be lucky if *they* weren't killed once the commander found out about this mess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Kaworu left, Asuka stood in the same spot, for a good minute, before she mustered up the courage to walk towards the bed closest to the window. She gingerly sat on it, so not to disturb any of the medical equipment connected to the boy.

"Hi Shinji." <Oh god that must sound so lame!> she thought. But after a wary glance at his unconscious form, she continued, "But then again, you're not really in a position to argue. ....And it's all because of me."

More gently than she had ever been in her life, she placed Shinji's hand in hers and intertwined their fingers and for some odd reason, she expected him to feel cool.

Looking directly in front of her, her sight fell on Rei, causing her to quickly and guiltily she let go of Shinji's hand. "No," she said, "it's not right for me to touch you. You're not mine. You never were." These words usually came out with so much venom from her, but this time they sounded remorseful. "And you want to know what the funniest, and *worse* part is? I really don't want you anymore..... I guess I never did. Well, no... that's not true. I wanted you to be mine, but it wasn't love. Not the kind of love you have from Wonderg.. from Rei, or the kind you give to her in return." Then, she cast her face down, shaking slightly. "But now... what do you have? Nothing! Nothing, because I'm the one who took that from you. You had finally found love, and I took it away... from both of you. And why? Why did all of this happen?" After a moment's pause and a shuddered breath, she uttered the answer just as she realized it herself. "Because I didn't want to be alone."

Ashamed of her selfishness, she looked away from the sleeping bride, cupped her face in her hands and cried openly.

"Oh God, Shinji... I am soooooo sorry.... So very sorry!"

The second child didn't know what happened to Shinji, but she figured that he must have tried to follow his bride into death. Asuka knew that his love for Rei was obsessive enough, but she never thought that he was actually DO it! Now the guilt for the pain she caused them was overwhelming her and she wondered why Chang-san didn't tell her what happened to them. Why didn't he prepare her before she had to face the consequences of her actions?

Her sobbing was just beginning to subside when she heard the sound of footsteps coming closer. Thinking it to be Kaworu returning, she quickly tried to regain her composure. But as the sound grew closer, she thought she could make out... heels?

That's not Kaworu, she realized.

"I gotta hide!" And no sooner had she said that, she was ducking behind one of the monitoring machines in the back of the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Closing the link, Rei looked expectantly at Shinji and a little bit annoyed. She wasn't ready to close the link yet. But unfortunately for her, she had no control over the matter.

"Wow."

That was all he could manage to say after hearing Asuka's monologue.

"You sound surprised." In reality and despite her calm words, Rei was extremely relieved that Kaworu was correct about Asuka's change of heart. The 3rd Commander was hoping for the best when she convinced Shinji to open the link to the outside world, but she in actuality, she was preparing herself for the worst.

"Shouldn't I be? This was Asuka we were listening to!" He said flummoxed. "Actually... even now I'm trying to convince myself it was her."

"People change, Shin-chan. Taking into consideration what she's been through, is it really that inconceivable that she'd change?" She responded calmly and a bit hopefully. Hopeful that maybe this would convince him to rejoin the land of the living. When her husband didn't answer her question, she continued. " If you need further proof, look at us. Many will argue that we have changed dramatically after what we've endured. If anything, I'd assumed you'd be glad to hear her say such things."

"Of course I'm glad! It's just that..." Shinji's admitted as he furrowed his brow woefully. "So many times... I see a glimmer of hope, only to have it crushed."

She nodded in understanding and caressed his cheek. "Not this time, koi. Even I was able to hear the sincerity in her voice. All that she requires now, is a chance. Shouldn't you be the one to give it to her?"

As Shinji thought of this new turn of events, Rei felt confident that she had achieved her goal. That they were going to wake up.

When he nodded to her request, Rei smiled. "So... are we ready to go?"

"Go where?" He asked, playing dumb; he then quickly turned away from her and started creating a different type of mental world for them. He needed *anything* to distract him from the look he knew she was giving him.

Again, they were back to square one!

Crimson eyes doubled in anger as Rei glowered at the back of his head and gave him what Shinji now dubbed "the look."

Shinji didn't even have to turn around and look at her to know that she was fuming, but he did anyway. Turning around, he gave her a very similar look as he bit out before she had the chance to speak. "I thought we agreed.... that we would wake up when your S2 organ healed you!".

"And how long is that going to be, Shinji?" She asked accusingly.

Shinji was no longer surprised to find out that the calm and collected voice that his wife always used in the real word did *not* follow her into the mental plain. However, it *did* make him wonder what she was really thinking those few times the disagreed, in the past, or when she *looked* like she disagreed but never voiced her displeasure, like the day when he moved in with her.

Rei rubbed her temples and shook her head. She could tell that Shinji was already distracted from this spat and she could feel him searching her thoughts for who-knows-what. Moreover, she really didn't want to get into another argument with him. It killed her inside, to fight with him. Rei knew that if it wasn't for the Project she wouldn't be so adamant about leaving, because she wanted nothing more than to be 'One' with her husband. But that was not a luxury that was given to them, for as it stood now...

"We cannot stay on holiday forever, koibito... We both have responsibilities."

Shinji immediately stopped his mental snooping of her thoughts and gave his wife an exasperated glare that screamed F*ck responsibilities! Didn't she realize that as much as he loved being here with her, his main reason for keeping them in a coma was to _save_ her_ life?!

"I understand that, Shinji..." She calmly fumed for she heard his thoughts loud and clear. "But you must understand that despite the consequences . I have a job to do."

"Rei, if you go back into that Eva... It will kill you!" His voice was hard, angry, hurt, scared and pleading all at the same time.

She shook her head no.

And his eyes widened angrily. "Yes it will! And I won't allow it! I won't allow you to die! If I have to... I will keep you here _forever_ just to keep you alive... Ohhh... Don't you give me that look! I will. I'll keep us here, and you know why?"

Shinji met and matched her challenging and determined look and glared deep into her crimson eyes. Then his own eyes widened with a sudden understanding. The third child had finally realized, for the first time since he fully linked with her, the true reason she was so adamant that he *agreed* to leave with her. It wasn't because she respected the 'obey vow.' No, it was because...

"You can't stop me."

He was right; she couldn't stop him. Not even if she wanted to. Which she did.

It seemed that with all of her vast divine powers, mentally, Shinji was the stronger of the two and he controlled their links and what they did with them. His hold over her was so strong, in fact that Rei was certain that he was the reason that her S2 organ was taking so long to heal her body. And if his 'will' was tampering with her being able to subsist and heal herself with her S2 organ, then that meant that Shinji's 'will' would probably be able to control her powers... as his own. However, she didn't fully realize this until Kaworu told her.

Rei looked at him, dumbfounded by the finality in his tone and for the first time since this became a reoccurring argument, the first child started to loose hope that she was going to win this battle.

"But...." Her voice was a little above a whisper. "Your mother...?"

"I don't care." His tone was clear and unremorseful. Just like his fathers. "I choose you."

Rei's jaw went slack. She couldn't believe it. She really couldn't believe it. Shinji *knew* that the only reason she was risking her life, was to free his mother. He also knew that she was doing this for *him.* Because he wanted his mom back. He even told her so. But yet, he didn't want to wake up. He'd rather keep her here, than save his mother life...? She couldn't believe it.

The third child couldn't bare the look his wife was bestowing on him, but he didn't take back his proclamation. Instead, he repeated it in an angry cry. "Yes, Rei, I choose you! So don't act so damn surprised!"

He was angry with her for wanting to leave, but even angrier with himself for sacrificing his mother for his wife's safety. But even through his self-loathing, he was adamant about his decision. He wasn't going to trade the life of his wife for the life of his mom. Rei was his everything.

Rei on the other hand was shocked stiff. She knew that her husband would have never spoken those words to her in the real world, but they weren't in the real world. They were in each others mental plain and it still shocked her sometimes on how angry his thoughts could be.

"I'm sorry..." Shinji whispered repentantly after he realized what he said to her. He then quickly wrap his arms around her waist and buried his face into the crook of her neck. "I didn't mean to yell at you.... but ...you gotta understand... that... for the rest of my life... I will always choose you. Always. No matter what.... But you knew this about me already didn't you, koishii?" He pulled back a little and looked into her still shocked face. "You noticed my similarities to *him* along time ago...." When she didn't answer, he held her a little tighter and sobbed her answer for her. "I know you did... because I've seen your thoughts.... When I thought you cheated on me... and I didn't care. I just. ..didn't want to lose you... You knew...."

She looked into his and nodded. He was right. She did know then. She just didn't tell him because she wasn't sure if he wanted to know *that* about himself.

"Rei.. I don't think you truly understand how much I love you... That it was because of you... that I brought back this _whole_ world... The world I *hated*... after I realized that the choice I first made... left me without you? So I shaped it and molded it to be the same... but different... because I had to have you in my life! Rei... I couldn't bare the thought of being without you.... I couldn't bare it then, and I can't bare it now!"

"Shinji... Koibito... I will be alright"

Angrily, he pulled back a bit more, grabbed her shoulders and shook her. He was trying to shake some sense into her as he sobbed. "Stop.... sacrificing your life for me!! Rei, if you go back into Unit 01 it will kill you! And whether or not you free my mother before you die... It *won't* make me happy! Don't you understand that I will *never* be happy if you aren't in my life?! Can't you see that *you* are my life?!..." He stopped shaking her when her head lolled back, and fearfully stared into her face as he timidly and remorsefully started patting her shoulders. "I'm sorry, Rei-chan... I'm so sorry."

He didn't mean to shake so hard. Actually, he really didn't mean to shake her at all. He was just caught up in the moment.

Rei shook off the lethargy of being shaken so violently. She didn't even know that she could feel that way in the mental plain. When the dizziness passed, she looked into to his dark blue eyes and was overwhelmed by the raw emotion she saw there. She almost felt like she was drowning in his love. Timidly, she tried to reassure him in an embrace, but he hugged her back in a death grip as he cried a mantra of "I'm so sorry" and "I love you" against her shoulder. She returned the endearments as she soothingly stroked his back. There was really nothing more to say than that.

Her husband had spoken and they were destined to stay in this self-induced coma as long as they both could keep them there. Despite the consequences.

Little did they know, their return to the conscious realm would be sooner than either of them were expecting.... and will be much more eventful than originally anticipated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ritsuko had just entered the hospital room. Quickly looking around, she made sure she was the only occupant there; well, the only conscious occupant. Satisfied of her privacy, with a few steps she was standing over Rei. She stood there for a moment before beginning to speak.

"You know, I'm trying to come up with something witty to say before I do this, but I'm drawing a complete blank. Oh no, please, don't say anything, I'll handle the narration for this little story."

In her corner, Asuka was wondering <what in the hell is wrong with her? her voice is so... hollow. and just what did she come here to do?>

"You know? It's kind of ironic. One of the most perfect creations on the face of the earth, both in body and mind, reduced to this. A vegetable. It'd be funny if it weren't so pathetic." She seemed to be thinking about something, but shrugged and continued "Oh what the heck, I'll laugh anyway!"

The sickening maniacal laughter that followed chilled Asuka to the core. There was no hiding it. Now Asuka was certain. <she's crazy. oh god she's gone completely mad.>

Her laughter dying out, Ritsuko looked back down at Rei. "But now's the time to get this over with. If that little twit Asuka hadn't messed up, this wouldn't have been necessary. I guess I never should have sent a girl to do a woman's job." While saying that, she took out a small needle from her labcoat pocket.

<messed up? that means I didn't... wait, what is she... oh no, please God no>

"Do you know what this is?" She waved it in front of Rei serene face. "Of course you don't. I made it myself. A very effective neuro-toxin, specifically designed for you." The gave the girl a sadistic yet smug smirk "I'm almost wishing you were awake, so I can hear you pleading for your life, or even your scream when it starts taking effect. But you know what? This is still a win-win situation for me. I won't get to see you suffer, but I'll see that pain reflected on that bastard Gendo, and tenfold on your little twerp of a hubby here." All the time she was talking, the needle was inching ever closer to Rei's arm.

That was what it took to finally snap Asuka from her frozen state. "Doctor!" She called out as she rose from her hiding place.

Ritsuko's head whipped around to impale the red haired pilot with her gaze. "Asuka! What the hell are you doing here?" She waved the question away with a flick of rest. "Its good that you are here. We can finish what we started."

"Doctor Akagi, please don't do this." Even though she was shaking all over, Asuka's voice was firm. She had to do this.

Ritsuko frowned. She wasn't expecting this. Turning slightly to face the girl, but careful not to move the needle, she spoke again "Oh come on. You want her dead as much as I do! Or did you forget what she did to you? What she stole from you?" She pointed at Shinji with her free hand. "Heck, you're the one who hired those hit men to kill her!"

Asuka looked as if she had been slapped in her face when Akagi brought up her past misdeed, but somehow she found the resolve to stand up against the doctor. "She didn't steal anything from me... because I had nothing to begin with." There, she had said it, and finally showing it as the truth. "And don't you dare say *I* was the one who tried to kill her! It was you. You took me aside! You constructed her murder. You tricked me when you gave me the money to pay those men! You told me it was for something else, then blackmailed me to keep my mouth shut!" Menacingly, she shook her head no. Slowly, but surely, her old fire was returning. But now, she had a new drive. She wanted to protect him, to protect them. "And I'll be damned if I let you do this!"

Ritsuko blinked a few times, she looked as if she were about to say something but then did something totally unexpected. She started giggling. Asuka was even more confused, but as the giggles turned into that same maniacal laugh as before, she was getting angry.

"What is so funny?"

The doctor shrugged, stood to her full height, and simply stated "You're too late."

The bottom fell out of Asuka's soul as she realized what she'd just heard. And sure enough, there, on Rei's arm, was a little red dot, where the needle had struck. No sooner had she seen the mark, the monitoring machine next to Rei started registering the change.

Rei was dying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They were now in a mental world that looked like their old apartment. The two newlyweds were laying side by side on Rei's old bed as she smoothed the hair off of Shinji's brow and smiled at her husband. "Are you okay now, Koibito?"

He sniffed back the last of his sorrow and nodded. "I'm sorry." He whispered out again.

"It's okay" She soothed lovingly and kissed his temple. "I'm sorry too."

He curled against her and wrapped his arms around her slender waist. "You won't ask me to leave again... will you?" His tone was begging her to say...

"No. I will not ask again." She promised as she wrapped her arms around his shoulders and snuggled closer. "I now understand how important it is for you to stay here."

In a relieved breath he sighed. "Thank you."

She never got to respond to his gratitude. Instead, she dug her nails into his back as she doubled over in pain.

"Rei! What's wrong?" He quickly sat up and cradled her in his arms. She was slowly fading, the stress evident on her features. What's more, a ripple seemed to originate from her and spread all around their field. The mental world was collapsing.

"Shinji..."

"What is it, Rei-chan?" His voice was frantic. "What's going on?"

She fought to speak. "...Wake up!"

"What?!" He yelled out dumbfounded. How could she even ask that of him after what he just confessed. "You promised!"

She cut him off by frenetically shaking her head no. "Please..." She begged in a haggard whisper.

"No!" He cried. "I already told you that!" He knew something was desperately wrong; he just didn't know what.

"Please koi.... If you trust me, ....love me... wake up." Her breathing was labored and her words were slowly forth coming. "Something's gone wrong out there.... I need you..." She looked up at him pleadingly. Her crimson eyes were rimmed with unshed tears. "...Please."

Rei was desperately trying to remain visible now. She had to make sure Shinji was regaining consciousness while she still had the strength to control this realm. She needed him to wake up, so she could have control over her body before it was too late.

He was about to argue again, when she countered "Please koibito, I...."

And with that, she was gone.

"Rei!!" Shinji shouted in pure hysterics. She was gone. His Rei was gone! This wasn't like her usual tantrums. This time, before she disappeared, she was scared beyond imagination.

Shinji stayed despite her pleas because he could no longer feel his link with her. He didn't want to leave; he needed to find her, to make sure she was ok. But despite his best efforts, he couldn't stay. He was being pushed toward consciousness. Then he remembered that she had said something had gone wrong out there. He knew she spoke the truth because... she was... dying. He could feel it. That's when he decided to do as she begged; he was going to wake up.

This decision was not to fulfill Rei's last request. No. Shinji Ikari decided to gain consciousness purely for the sake of revenge. Revenge toward who ever hurt his wife.

He mentally clenched his fist, not knowing that this action was mimicked by his actual body

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"No..." Was the ill-fated whisper.

She had failed again. She couldn't stop Ritsuko. And knowing this, compounded with the steady beat of Shinji's heartbeat contrasting with the eerily slow drum of Rei's, sickened her.

"There's nothing you can do now!" Ritsuko laughed triumphantly. "In a matter of moments, she'll be gone!"

Asuka was vigorously shaking her head and mentally screamed. <no! this can't be happening!!... I'm too late... again!!> Though the second child was in Tokyo, she felt like she was instantly transported back to the hospital in Germany, the same day she was too late to save her < mama!!>

The doctor was too busy laughing to see Asuka's shattered look. However this victory was short lived. And when Akagi's laugher abruptly ceased the second child, absently and through her mental tears, wondered what could have shocked Ritsuko in such a way.

Then she felt it; a presence behind her.

Slowly, Asuka turned around, already suspecting who it was. And indeed, it was Kaworu, in the doorway, frozen with shock

His crimson eyes were trained on the cardiographs, and he knew that something was wrong. From what Rei had told him, there was no way that Shinji was going to break the synchronization link today. He watched as the blip of his sister's heartbeat became weaker and listened as the sound of its beat became slower. When he mentally called out to her, he got no answer. Three more times he mentally tried to reach her, only to receive the same answer of silence. That was when he started to panic, and the already pale boy's complexion bled away and now he looked ashen.

Something was *very* wrong.

A slight movement grabbed his attention away from his sister and he stared at Asuka who was shifting nervously from foot to foot. For a moment, he let his gaze shift to the doctor, then set it back on Asuka.

A loud noise emanated from a machine.

Rei had just flatlined.

All three flinched from the unexpected, yet expected sound and looked at the cardiograph.

Asuka covered her mouth and whimpered as he tried to hold back her tears, but they came forth anyway. She couldn't help but feel guilty. Rei was just murdered in front of her, and she just stood there! Though she didn't want to, she looked back at Kaworu only to find him staring at her. His gaze was so intense, she stepped back in fright. <he thinks that I... that I'm the one who...> She shook her head no but under his piercing gaze she could not find the words to proclaim her innocence. Nevertheless, Kaworu's gaze never wavered from her and when he took a single graceful step into the room. Asuka backed up a few awkward steps then bolted forward, pushed past him and ran out of the room. She couldn't take the boy's scrutiny anymore. She couldn't bare to hear him accuse her. So she ran... with the certainty that she'd forever lost her chance for redemption.... and love.

For his part, Kaworu suspected what Asuka must be thinking and for the briefest of seconds, she was right. He doubted her innocence. The situation wasn't the most flattering considering he knew what she and Ritsuko did to his sister before. So he acted on impulse; he searched her memory with his angelic skill. He knew it wasn't a very noble thing to do to her, considering what his older sister did to her mind before the impact, but... he had to know. He was an angel not God, and he needed to know if she hurt his sister. But before he even looked into her thoughts, his heart knew that she was innocent.

So as he watched her run down the corridor, he knew that he would have to run after her and assure her that he believed her. In spite of this, he took the time to look, again, at his sister, then back at the doctor. She was still standing in place as if petrified, the only indication she was still alive was her muttering "...but... you're.. you can't be..."

The angelic child's eyes started to glow a brilliant red as they narrowed angrily. He was pissed and he was raging with a divine fury. One last time he turned his gaze toward his sister, but his attention was caught by her husband. He was moving. And then, of all things to do, Kaworu smirked. This wasn't one with his usual playfulness. This one would put even Gendo to shame.

And with that, he turned around to go after Asuka. Just as he was going to exit the room, he turned his head, giving Ritsuko a side profile of his face, and said "I'd hate to be you."

After he was gone, Ritsuko let out a breath she was holding. She couldn't believe he was back. It was impossible. But Kaworu would be the least of her worries. As she was walking toward the door, she felt something... a slight itch on the back of her skull. Slowly turning around, she nearly stumbled off her feet to the ground.

There, sitting up on the bed, glaring at her, was a very pissed, and very much awake, Shinji Ikari.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I still own anything that deals with Evangelion

I would first like to thank my co-writer Midnight. Thank you sweetie. You are the absolute best!

I would also like to thank Ashen-Shugar for allowing me to use an excerpt of his oh so gorgeous epic poem the Epitaph-Looking through the Mirror. I absolutely LOVE that poem!! ^_^

And last but definitely not least, I would like to thank everyone who was soooooooo patient with me at getting this chapter out. I can't promise you when the next one will be out. I have a lot on my plate right now and my co-writer also has a busy life as well. Believe me... We started collaborating on this chapter in June and at that time, lot of it was already finished. I know. It took us forever to finish this chapter, but that was mostly my fault. (sheepish grin) It really was. Midnight you are so patient. Thank you!!! So... The only thing I can promise you is that I/we will finish this fic... eventually, and the chapters will be out when they are finished. Sorry, I can't give you more than that. I really wish I could, but I would rather not promise anything that might turn into a lie. I hope you understand.

I love ya lots. I really really do ^_~

Kimberly