One Piece Fan Fiction ❯ Ocean's Envy ❯ The Night of the Adoption Party ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~*~FLASHBACK~*~
It was the night of the adoption party, and both you and Skyler were becoming pretty bored. The grown-ups just kept rambling on about how nice it was of your mother to adopt Skyler and so on. So the two of you sat around waiting for an idea to come to mind. Your eyes lit up as a plot formed. The both of you silently crept into the town hall and then to the vault. Knowing that no civillian was allowed in, it gave the both of you an adrenaline rush just thinking about it. Creeping inside, you two looked around and the sight suprised you. There was rows of mounted pieces of funky looking fruit with security systems surrounding each individual one. ~Well, this is wierd~ you thought to yourself as you dodged the main security system. A specific object at the end of the hall caught your eye. Stealthily passing each one, you made it to the final object. Skyler's eyes grew wide as he saw you and began to worry.
 
“Be Careful!” he shouted to you, “Those beams destroy flesh.” You didn't pay attention to him as you picked the fruit from it's vase, along with the description attached to it. The label read: WARNING! THIS FRUIT IS SAID TO BE 'FATAL TO ALL MEN WHO EAT IT!' (Because of this, no one has been able to see what power will be gained after eating)
 
You didn't read this description though, and shoved it in your pocket to read later. ~nnugh..I'm hungry~ you thought to yourself ~I wonder if this is edible~ You bit into the fruit, discovering that it tasted horrible. Preparing to toss it at the lasers, you remembered something your mother kept reminding you at the dinner table. Just because something doesn't taste right does not mean that it isn't good for you. Reminded of this, you pretended not to taste anything and swallowed down the rest of the fruit.
 
Skyler saw you eat it and began to wonder if he could eat one. This was a case of monkey see, monkey do. Except there was no monkeys. He found the closest fruit and swallowed it whole. You walked over to him as you watched his facial expressions change from curiosity to disgust and everything in between. Not being able to hold it in, you giggled, unknowingly waking up one of the guards.

The guard woke up to a feminine voice giggling. Not knowing who or what made the sound, he crept along the hallways until he stood in front of the vault. He was alarmed to find the doors agape, and he stormed into the vault himself, preparing himself for an attack. But he could not prepare himself for what he found instead. Two children were in the vault, making faces at one another! "Hey you!" The guard shouted, making the children freeze up. "You're not supposed to be in here! There are poisonous objects in here that could kill you-OH G-D! One of them's missing! You kids get out of here now before someone blames you." The children did as they were told as the guard prepared for what was to come. ~I have guarded this vault well, but someone was able to eat a cursed fruit. I will surely be hung for this.~ Sadly, that was true. The mayor found out that there was a robbery from the vault and the guard to be put to death. When asked what would be his last words, the guard's eyes glazed over as he spoke: "There was two fruit taken from the vault, not one."
The public heard this sentence but it wasn't all, you see. Apparantly, the former guard whispered something to the mayor that made his hairs stand on end. His true final words were-