One Piece Fan Fiction ❯ Ocean's Envy ❯ The Truth About Becca's Decision ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tori sighed as she poured herself a drink from the fridge. "You guys want one?" she asked her siblings. Emma and Sky nodded their heads while they slouched on the couch. Tori prepared them drinks as well. "I was expecting Becca to crack someday, but not this soon. *sigh*"
"What do you mean? You're 18 and a half, I think you're old enough to crack at that age." Emma retorted. Tori shot her a glare that could kill, if Emma weren't so oblivious. Skyler cleared his throat, getting their attention.
"But the question remains, why would she do that to her own mother?" Skyler added.
"Maybe because she hasn't felt any emotions towards her since our father died almost 11 years ago."
"But she knows-" Emma started
"She knows that her father died in the same room as you and mom. It's only natural for her to assume what she doesn't know."
"That's stupid!" Emma shouted.
"Maybe you think that, E-K, but look at the possibilities, how would she blame a five-year-old for her father's death when there is a bigger fish to fry. Especially when the person is in control of their life at that moment." Skyler explained, "It's only a natural instinct that some are born with."
"Sky, if this is a little too emotional for you-" Tori started,
"No, it isn't actually. I'm kinda used to dealing with emotional pain now."
"Just checking." Emma began to zone out as she remembered the first time Sky had lost someone dear to him.
 
 
It was a couple of weeks before your 11th birthday, and frankly, the exitement was killing you. Killing you to sit still, that is, for your best friend was coming over tonight to discuss what was going to happen at your joint birthday party. "Mommy, when's Sky gonna get here?" you whined, slamming your forehead on the table.
"Very soon, E-K, but just in case, why don't you go and see what would be taking him so long." you mother, Rose, replied.
"Okays!" In a hurry, you ran out the door. Your mother sighed and rested her head on the table just as you were doing before.
"Mom," a voice sounded in the doorway. Rose looked up and saw her eldest daughter, Victoria, leaning against the door frame. Being only 14, she still was the most informed person in the town. "Police just received a call that Anne-Marie was found dead in her home. Apparently they thought it was a prank, seeing as it was a child's voice, and let it go." Rose's head shot up with concern in her eyes.
"What? That's horrible! We have to do something!"
"No we can't!" Victoria shouted. "We can't draw attention to ourselves! You know what could happen if you do." Victoria shouted back. Rose stood there, shocked. Not only that her child yelled back at her, but that she had a point. Rose bent her head in defeat.
"Vicki, you wouldn't mind having a brother, would you?" Victoria smiled, knowing what her mom was getting at.
"Sure, I've always wanted to know what it was like to have a brother." Ace always told me that it was hell, having to watch his brother 24/7. But I think this'll will be different she thought to herself.
"Good, because I think you'll be getting one real soon."
 
 
 
E-K was walking along the sidewalk, humming a song that she learned from her mom's best friend in the world, Anne-Marie. Passing by the corner on which led to another street, she saw Skyler, alone, crying on the ground. Her eyes became wide when she saw her best friend and ran to him, giving him a big hug. "Shhh-" E-K said softly, "It'll all be ok." Sky finally noticed her and shook her off, crying even more.
"No! It's never going to be ok!" he shouted, finally turning to face her. E-K was startled at his outburst and started to sniffle. "No! Don't cry! I didn't mean it." Skyler tried to explain. "It's just that, that, SHE'S GONE!" he started bawling his eyes out and E-K understood.
"It's ok,*sniff*, I'm still here at least. Right?" she said with her eyes full of tears.
"Y-yeah." Sky said as he wiped his tears from his face. "At least I still have you and Tori." E-K grinned, which seemed to always spread from ear-to-ear, and took Skyler's hand.
"Let's go, my mom's making cookies. Maybe that'll cheer you up some, if not fill your stomach."