One Piece Fan Fiction ❯ Ocean's Envy ❯ A New Routine And A Free Lunch ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"It's Mr. Sky! HI MISTER SKY!!!" a child shouted, grasping his attention. He looked down to see miss Ariel, the daughter of the bar owner smiling up at him. It had been a good two weeks since he arrived at the town, and he already knew all of the residents in it. In exchange for food, extra clothing, and shelter, Skyler had been doing some jobs here and there. Mainly, what he did was limit those who were able to enter the village and make things out of wood. Sky shooed away all of the bandits, faulty navy personnel, and pirates that were bent on harming the town or those living there. Working with wood was his specialty though. Being taught in the art of woodworking and fixing ships, Skyler was able to build sturdy funiture to intricate toys, never missing a detail. He had become famous around town for being able to make a wooden safe in less than a minute with his daggers, but Sky could care less. All he really wanted was to get enough money to sail away on a ship and find his sister, no matter what the journey might be. For there were two things in life he wanted to achieve since he was little, to become a daggermaster and protect his family with his life.
 
Today was just another day for Skyler though, being stuck in this town making nearly indestructable tables and chairs for the places that need it, and making sure that no unwanted visitors made it to town. "Hey there little missy, what are you all happy about?"
 
She grinned even wider as she proclaimed "It's My BIRFDAY! And my daddy says that I can have anything I want, because today's so special!" Skyler grinned widely, relating to her antics
"Yes it is, because today's my mom's birthday also."
"Really?" Ariel asked, shocked. "I didn't know you had a mommy. What's it like?" Skyler, realizing his slip, sighed at the mistake he made. Ariel did not have a mother because 'natural causes' took her when Ariel was less than one.
"Everyone has a mommy, it's just that not everybody can remember." Sky explained as he stood up straight, picking up the lumber he was supposto be carrying. "Come on, let's talk while I take this to the Johnson's." Both he and Ariel started to walk in the opposite direction now, having got the wood. "My mom was the greatest in my opinion, she could make the best apple-pie in the world and had the best fashion sense. She also instilled a lifetime of etiquette in my mind. But what remains my most vivid memory of her is how she moved."
"Huh?"
Skyler sighed as he tried to explain. "The way she walked. Like some people seem to have a jauntily step or a depressed walk, but my mom appeared to not even touch the ground." Skyler snickered at a memory. "Because of that, many people thought my mom had the potential of being an assassin, who technically, also walk unnoticed."
"Your mommy must have been a very nice person. Wait, you said 'was'." Sky nodded glumly.
"Yes, she died when I was 11, and then I was adopted by a wonderful family." Ariel stared at him quizically.
"What about your daddy, Sky?" she asked while he set the wood down and began to work. "Shouldn't he have taken care of you when your mommy died?" Cutting the wood with his daggers, Skyler made the basic frame of a dining room table, able to seat five.
"Actually Ariel," Sky said "I don't remember what my dad looks like. My mom and I left him before I was one and journeyed to the island that I lived on for around 17 and a half years of my life."
"Why did you leave your daddy?" Sky placed the legs on the base and began to work on the special designs that were requested.
"Well, my dad had many enemies that wanted to know his weaknesses and make my father weaker, so it was for all of our protection." Skyler said as he finished the designs for the table. "Now run along, I have to take this to the Johnsons now. You know how they despise kids under 12."
Ariel pouted, wanting to spend more time with her role model. "Now Ariel," Skyler commented, "No one can get by on life by pouting, so why don't you play by the docks? If there's anyone suspicious around you can report straight back to me." Ariel pondered this for a moment. "Come now, what do you say?"
"Alright!" she shouted, "I'll guard the docks for you while you do errands." That's not exactly what I said but close enough Skyler thought.
"Good now run along and don't get into trouble." Picking up the table with one arm, Skyler headed over to the Johnson's, while Ariel raced down to the docks. Upon arriving there, she amused herself by pretending she was fighting enemies, taking down each with a single blow. For Ariel, this was a usual practice for her to retain and possibly gain strength, for she wanted to achieve a dream.
About 15 minutes into her exercise, she spotted a boat along the horizon, getting larger with each passing second. "OOh! A ship!" Ariel said to herself. "I wonder what type of people are on it." Coming into view, the ship appeared to be a caravel, with a bunch of shouting aboard. An arguement about food mixed in with lock posts, supplies, and fighting skills, all combining into a ruckus of sounds. Ariel giggled at the thought of what the people would be like, having arguements 24/7 while sailing on a ship struck her as odd. Why would anyone in their right mind sail with those they dispise? Or maybe they were just really good friends, for an old saying went something along the lines of arguing with your closest friends more than those you only call aquaintances. Now completely in view, the caravel's bow was in the shape of a sheeps head and the sails appeared to have a friendly pattern on them. A grinning skull with a straw hat.
"Ooh... Pirates." Ariel whispered in awe.
 
 
You awoke on a beach this time, having your stuff a few feet away. For a moment you just lay there, feeling the sand in between your fingers and the waves lapping at your feet. Standing up, you walked over to your stuff and checked to make sure everything was there. It was. Slinging the bag over your back, you headed to the nearby town in search of food. Having arrived there the night before, you saw the way to town was quite easy, before you fell asleep on the sand that is. A resounding growl led you to believe that it was only a matter of minutes before you passed out from hunger, so you sprinted to the aroma of food emanating from somewhere close by.
 
 
 
A person was seen in a bar, taking a sip of her glass of rum. Some people stared at the person, not knowing whether or not to be scared or happy upon the arrival of this woman. The woman didn't care, she was used to people staring, as she finished off her glass. One small step to acheiving my dream. she thought to herself, reflecting on the previous day's work. A pirate with a bounty of 17 million beri had challenged her to a duel, claiming to be the better swordsman, just because of traditional gender roles. But that pirate got proved wrong, very wrong as the person added some 17 million beri's to her collection not even an hour later. Sitting at that bar with an oversized waller always made this person feel uncomfortable, but she became used to it when on one island before, a man dressed in simple clothing ate nearly all of the food in the bar but was able to pay all of it, including a tip. It wasn't until later that she found out that man had a bounty on his head consisting of more than 50 million.
Raising her hand, she signaled the bar-tender over. "Y-yes?" the man studdered, being fearful of the person's presence.
"This rum is delicious, may I have some more?" the lady asked, startling the bar-tender. Still intimidated by her, he studdered again,
"R-right away Ms. Wensel." as he sped off toward the other end of the bar. The person, known as Wensel, sighed, wishing people weren't always this scared of her. She was just a bounty hunter, who apparantly, exelled at the art of two swords. Lately however, people seemed more intimidated by her than usual, having to shoo children into the houses whenever Wensel came close. For her, it was very depressing, seeing as she would never hurt such children, but the media would never listen. In fact, because she captured so many pirates, the Navy was on the verge of having a bounty on her head, even though the idea was incredibly stupid.
The bar tender returned with more rum, which placed a smirk on Wensel's face. "Thanks." she said in her ominous manner, creeping the whole bar out. "You know, not to be rude or anything," Wensel said turning to face the rest of the place, "but you guys really need to loosen up a little. I mean seriously, all I do is capture pirates, it's not like I am one." Though I wish I was. With that, she turned around and took a swig of her drink. Shrugging their shoulders, the people in the bar found it pointless to be scared and went on with their normal routine, or what seemed like normal until a shout was heard.
"FOOOOD!!" A person ran into the bar and sat down in the seat next to Wensel, taking everyone completely by surprise. "Hey Mister, could I have some water?" the stranger asked in a calm voice, just the opposite of her tone earlier.
"Sure thing kid." the bartender said, almost worn out from today's events. He handed the newcomer a glass and she started to drink in a lady-like fashion. Curiosity took over as Wensel asked why the stranger just ran in screaming for food, to just get a drink of water, which is technically free in these parts.
"Hm?" the person asked, either confused at what Wensel was saying or just hadn't paid attention to the previoius question.
"I asked why you came screaming for food when you ordered a drink that is considered free around these parts."
"Oh, well that's easy." the stranger replied, "I changed my mind." Wensel highly doubted it, considering the person's stomach just growled loud enough to reach her ear.
"If you need money, here. Oh, and before you ask for my name, it's Wensel." Wensel whispered to the stranger, sneaking a few thousand beri's into the jacket pocket. "There's more than enough to last a month here."
The person grinned and said, "My name's Emma, it's nice to meet you." than ordered nearly five servings of BBQ ribs. Wensel didn't strike this feat as odd, seeing as she too, could eat just as much when she was starving. Standing up with her things, Wensel headed towards the exit, not knowing that a certain person was registering her in their memory.