Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Cello Jello ❯ Vol. Five: Chapter Fourteen: Traffic Problem ( Chapter 14 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Traffic Problem
Back in Tokyo
There is one traffic light in the middle of an abandoned street. Nothing special about it. Just an ordinary streetlight doing its job.
But, there is a problem.
When it changed red, it got stuck there. Not just for a few seconds, mind you. We're talking another full minute. Yeah, that bad. Drivers get pissed at this light. Natural to see why. Especially at night. Here's the funny thing all of the other lights in the city worked just fine. It's just this one light. One.
Many complaints have been filed. One stack, in fact. Two even. Okay, ten. Yes, this is a problem. So, how to fix it. Many want the light taken down. But how to manage the traffic in that part of the city? A stop sign? Seems easy. But, where to get the money? Raise taxes? Nobody wants that. Paint the street bright colors? That takes time and money too. Many ideas were thrown at these council meetings, but they got shot down. Back to square one—again.
But, the traffic light's not all that bad. Gives drivers time to think about what they've done. A punishment light, if you will. It helps cool down the hot-headed. Feelings of guilt and fix things always followed behind. Then, the light would change green. So, the “punishment light” can't be all, right?
So what's with this traffic light in downtown Tokyo? Is it bad? Or is it good? That battle is still going on today.
Punishment Light