Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Executive Plan ❯ Vol. Two: Chapter Five: Goodbye ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Goodbye
No missed calls. Carla sat back at her desk and sighed. Why did he keep doing this to her? She deserved better. But yet…
“He hasn't called again?” a voice boomed behind her. The woman whipped around behind her. Don stood over her with a smile on his head. His co-worker's face went flat.
“Why do you care?” she asked. Don's playful mood toned down some.
“You always look upset,” he pointed out.
“Oh…” Carla mumbled as if lost in thought. Then, she came back with her tough.
“Why do you care?” she asked again. Don gave her sympathetic smile.
“If you want to talk to me, you know where to find me,” he said. Then, he turned and walked away. Carla snorted at his back. Like I would ever talk to you! she thought. But then, she sighed again.
Believe it or not, Don did have a point. Carla did seem rather down lately. Her boyfriend, Johnny, wasn't greatest pick of boyfriends. He wasn't abusive or a cheater. He never did dangerous drugs. He was just… there. He never really did much. The couple didn't even live together. They used to call each other every day. But now even that was drying up.
Carla didn't understand it. Johnny wasn't as bad as he was now. They met back in high school. Freshman year was an interesting one for Carla. Her mother got shipped overseas to Japan because of her job. The girl wasn't ready to leave her American life behind. She didn't want to let go of her friends and school.
“But mama,” she protested on many occasions. “I don't want to go to Japan! I want to stay in Texas!”
“I'm sorry baby,” her mother replied. “But we have to go.” They fought about this many times, but in the end they ended up in Japan. Carla hated her new surroundings at first. She wouldn't even leave the house.
“Get out and make some friends, honey!” her mother pleaded with her for the first few weeks.
“No!” Carla cried back.
“Why not?”
“I want my old friends!” This argument went on for weeks. Finally, Carla's mother had enough.
“Carla! You are getting out of this house and making some friends today!” she snapped on the first day of school.
“No!” the girl snapped.
“Yes, you are!” the mother argued back. They fought about this until her mother forced a jacket onto her, handed her her book bag, and pushed her outside. Carla snorted at the door as it slammed shut behind her. Bitch!, she thought. Then, she walked away into the street.
To make a long story short, Carla wandered the streets of Tokyo in bored anger to her new school until a small glow caught her eye in the alley way. Curious, she followed it and there was Johnny. He looked like a rebel biker from all of those 1950's teenage movies. Leather jacket, jeans, slicked back hair, and a lit cigarette hanging out of his mouth. Now, it takes a lot to make Carla fall hard and fast. She didn't know what it was, but boy did she fall! The boy kept a stoic look on his face.
“Hey babe,” he said. Carla's face right a cherry tomato as steam flew out of her ears. He had her sold from then on. Johnny looked at her.
“Something wrong?” he asked. The new girl quickly shook her head.
“N-No!” she said. “M-M-My name is Carla! I-I-I'm new here!” The boy's face didn't change.
“Ah,” he said. “Going to school?”
“Yes! Yes I am!” the girl replied. Johnny said nothing. He just began to walk away. Carla watched on with a lost look on her face.
“Wait! Where are you going?!?” she cried.
“I'm taking you to school,” he said back. “You coming or not?” The girl blinked for a confused moment before it all made sense to her.
“Oh! Yeah, yeah!” she said. Then, the girl raced to catch up with her new crush. A relationship crawled along in time and their good girl + bad boy image became known by everybody in their high school years. But, that was all Carla and Johnny had.
Fast forward to today. Carla shook her head. What's the point of hanging on?, she thought. It was then the woman decided to say goodbye. She looked around for a brief moment. When the coast was clear, Carla picked up her phone and dialed her boyfriend's number. She waited while the other line rang.
“Hello?” a raspy voice asked on the other line. Carla breathed out.
“Johnny?” she spoke. There was a pause.
“What's up, babe?” he asked. Carla tried her best to put her words together in her head before saying them. Okay, I can do this.
“Listen Johnny,” she said. “I don't think that there is any point of us being together anymore.” Another pause on the line.
“What are you saying babe?” he asked.
Carla dropped her shoulders. “We've grown apart of the years. You don't really want to do anything with your life. We don't get to see each other anymore. We don't even live together. So, I don't think you and I should be together in this sham relationship anymore.”
“So what, are you breaking up with me, babe?”
“Yes Johnny, it is over.” There came another pause on the phone. Carla bit her lip as she tapped her foot. Come on, say something! Fight for me at least.
“Okay babe,” Johnny said at last. Carla stood there with a blank expression on her face.
“That's it?” she asked.
“Yeah, babe.”
Carla didn't know what to say at first. She clearly hadn't expected this. “Uh… Okay…”
“Bye.”
“Bye.” They both hung up. Carla sat back at her desk. It was over, just like that. But somehow, it just didn't feel right. This feeling wasn't regret, no, it was more of a void. Without a single thought in her head, Carla picked up her phone and dialed another number. The other line rang.
“Hello?” another man's voice asked. The woman slowly breathed out.
“Don,” Carla said in a low voice. “I just broke up with Johnny.”
Just Another Day Without You