Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Gentleman's Club ❯ Vol. Four, Chap. Seven: Parent Politics ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Parent Politics
“Remind me again,” Jewel said on the bad. “Why are we doing this again?”
“My parents are coming for dinner,” Kim answered from the bathroom. “Weren’t you listening to me three days ago?” Jewel shook his head.
“Nope,” he said. His wife groaned.
“I told you days ago,” she said. Her husband rolled his eyes.
“Right,” he mumbled.
“Please take this seriously,” Kim pleaded. “You know how my parents are.” He rolled his eyes to the ceiling.
“Yes!” he groaned. “How can I forget?” Kim poked her head out of the bathroom.
“Just behave yourself, okay?” she asked.
“Fine, whatever,” her husband grumbled. His wife narrowed her eyes at him.
“No!” she snapped. “I really mean it! Promise me that you will!” The man threw up his hands.
“Okay, okay!” he said. “I promise!”
“Good,” his wife said. Jewel rolled his eyes again.
“I just don’t see the point,” he said. Kim raised an eyebrow at him.
“See the point of what?” she asked.
“Why do your parents always do this to us?”
“You know why!”
I wish I didn’t, Jewel thought. Then, the doorbell rang. The couple looked up at the sound.
“Oh shit, it’s them!” Kim hissed. Her eyes darted to her husband. “Finish getting dressed and greet them at the door.”
“Okay, okay,” he said.
“Button up your shirt and put on your tie!” she nagged.
“Fine!” he snapped. He stood up as he finished buttoning up his shirt. The doorbell rang through the whole apartment again. Kim hit him on the arm.
“Move it!” she hissed. Her husband shook her head as he walked out of the room. Kim sighed as she looked at her make-up in the mirror again.
Jewel opened the front door with a cheesy look on his face. An elderly couple looked up at him.
“About time!” the old man yelled. Jewel held out his arms to his in-laws.
“Hey there!” he said. “So nice to see you again!” The old lady sneered as she looked inside the apartment.
“Heh,” she said. “Still dirty as ever.” *Sweat drop on Jewel’s head*
Give me a break lady!, he thought. He braved himself for more tonight.
“Mama! Daddy!” Kim said as she came down the hall. Her parents’ faces lit up when they saw their only daughter. She looked like a little doll in her dark blue cherry blossom kimono. Her husband frowned at the bright pink chopsticks in her hair.
Aren’t you a little bit too old to be wearing your hair like that?, he thought. The old lady’s face broke out into a big smile.
“Kimi-chan!” she cheered. “How are you?” She walked forward and hugged her. The old man followed behind.
“Great!” Kim said. “How was the train ride up?”
“Dreadful,” her mother complained. “The trains are just as dreadful as ever. What has happened to this country these days?”
“My back is so sore,” her dad added on.
“Aww,” Kim whimpered. “I’m so sorry to hear that. Come! Sit at the table. I have made your favorite curry rice for dinner with dumplings.” Her parents’ eyes lit up brighter than stars.
“Ooo!” her mother said. “I always knew you were a good daughter!” Jewel rolled his eyes to himself. If she only knew the truth, he thought.
Here comes around round of Nikishi-Yang family dinner. The two couples focused on each other as they ate. Her parents looked so happy together, but Jewel never bought it.
They have to be hiding some dirty secret, he always thought. Maybe tonight he would find that answer tonight. The mother lowered her chopsticks on her plate.
“So then tell me,” she said. “How is married life?” The younger smile and prepare their lie.
“Good,” they said.
“Good,” the mother said. The father looks at them unconvinced. Maybe he knows? Jewel wouldn’t doubt it.
“And how is work, Jewel?” the father asked. The younger man wants to tell the truth, but his wife glared at him to stick to the script. Jewel forced himself to grin.
“Good,” he lied. The father only sipped his tea. The clock ticking in the kitchen in the background filled the silent gaps. Jewel clutched his chopsticks firmly in his hand. Why did they do this? Kim doesn’t want them here. Her parents don’t want to go to the city to see them. They aren’t happy in their marriage. Jewel and Kim don’t want to be married to each other anymore. So, why do they do this stupid game?
It’s her parents. They do not believe in divorce. They would rather suffer through a pointless lie than to cut their losses to find something better in life. Jewel used to just take it without any questions earlier in the marriage. Now, things had changed. If divorced wasn’t an option, then time to resort to “extracurricular activities” to make life much more tolerable.
Speaking of which, it’s about that time. Jewel set down his chopsticks on the table.
“Thanks for dinner,” he said. He bowed his head, stood up, and walked away to his own bedroom. Jewel lied down on his bed and pulled out his cell phone. He smiled at the screen.
Hiya! Missed ya babe! Can’t wait to see you tonight. Kiss-kiss.
Bianca
Jewel smiled to himself. He just relished the moment of his own escape from his mundane life of lies in his hand.
He’s not the only one who wants to get away, however.
Welcome to the House of Lies