Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ What Are You Doing? ❯ Guilty Conscience and Playful Bantering ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"Uh Kayla? Why are we back at the park?"

Kayla smiled. "I don't know. Maybe cause I felt like it?"

After eating breakfast, Kayla drove us to my neighborhood park, the very same park where I met the mysterious blonde. On the way here I kept pestering her where she was taking me but all she did was shake her head and smile. I gave up after ten minutes and sulked silently in the
passenger's seat. But here we are, at the park. This time, though, there were no other people besides Kayla and myself. I felt just a little nervous being around Kayla, wondering what else she's got up her sleeve. After what happened at Charley's Diner, it made me shiver...

Shiver with excitement? Or with anticipation? I don't really know. I must be losing my mind.

"Shall we take a stroll around the park, Mia?" she asked.

'Take a stroll'? That sounds so innocent, I thought quietly to myself. "Yeah sure. Why not?"

The two of us began walking, side by side, down the concrete walkway of the park. The sun was shining and like the forecast said, it was starting to get warmer. There were patches of wild flowers in different areas of grass with bees buzzing around them. I took note of the bees and walked away from the flowers with bees nearby. Kayla noticed and chuckled. "Afraid of bees?"

I nodded. "You bet I am. I'm allergic to them. I try to avoid them as much as possible."

"Well if that's the case, if any bee comes near you I'll jump in front of you and take the sting for you." Kayla said nonchalantly.

"Oh my, how heroic," I laughed. "But really that's not necessary. If a bee does come near me I'll just run away, screaming. Like I always do actually."

That made her laugh, which in turn made me laugh as well. We continued our leisurely walk, warm rays of sunlight crawling on our skins. It truly was a nice day, despite the heat, and spending it with Kayla just made it better.

Except the thought of Alan kept gnawing at my conscience.

Here I am having a wonderful time with Kayla, whom I've only known for a couple of day while my best friend is a wreck in his own home. I'm ashamed to be called a friend...

Kayla must have noticed my fallen expression because she looked at me with concern. "Anything wrong, Mia?"

I shook my head. "No its nothing."

"Is it about your boyfriend with the DS?"

"Well to be honest it.... wait," I paused. "Boyfriend!?"

"I take it that I assumed wrong?" Kayla faintly laughed.

"We're not together. We're best friends," I said, defending myself. "Plus he already has a girlfriend."

"But it does concern him doesn't it? The reason you look so blue, that is," she said. I could feel her eyes on me waiting for a response. Yet I know I shouldn't just blab out Alan's problems and my stress about it on her. It wouldn't be right.

"It is but.." She cut me off by raising a hand.

"But it is none of my business am I right?" I nodded slowly, not daring to look into her eyes. "Mia, it's okay. You shouldn't feel embarrassed or rude when you are talking to me. Just be honest about it. If I ask something that makes you uncomfortable then say that it does. I will not take it the wrong way."

"I'm sorry," I finally said.

"You do not have to be sorry. I shouldn't have asked.  I... I was just worried that's all."

"You were?" I asked, this time looking at her.

"I
am," she said simply. Kayla walked towards me, and gently placed a hand on my shoulder before continuing. "If you feel like you must do something important than spending time with me, go then. I don't want to be the person stopping you."

"But you're not--" She lightly placed a finger on my lips, stopping me from speaking any further. Her soft smooth skin brushed against my lips. My lips twitched at the touch.

"I know. You don't have to explain. Let me ask you something though. What do you want to do now?"

I stood there, my head hanging low, deep in thought. I knew what the right thing was, yet there was a part of me that wanted to stay for my own personal pleasure. In turn, it causes another part of me to feel sick with guilt. It was like my entire being was in conflict with each other, making me even more confused.

Then I remembered finding Alan on my porch that day with his bruised, swollen face, his broken down expression, his eyes filled with hurt and sadness and helplessness.

"Can you take me back to my house?" I finally said.

Kayla gave me a reassuring smile, but I noticed there was something about the way she was looking at me that I could not read. "Of course. Let me drive you back to your house." We both turned around and started walking in the direction of Kayla's car.

"Hey Kayla," I said suddenly. "Thanks for doing this for me."
Kayla abruptly halted and turned to face me. She begins to strut closer and the next thing I feel is her lips pressing ever so gently against my forehead. "Don't mention it." She winked at me and started walking off.

I stood there for a moment, allowing my brain to process what just happened.

She.... she kissed my forehead.... Oh my gosh.

--------------------------------------------------- ----------------

"But seriously, you didn't have to come here, Mia. I told you I'm okay. You should have stayed with Kayla."

"You say you're okay but are you really? Is your dad one hundred percent better?" Alan didn't reply.

Currently I'm at Alan's house. Once I got into the car with Kayla earlier, I asked her if she could drop me off at his house. I thanked Kayla and said goodbye as she drove away. I then walked to his door, rang the doorbell, and was greeted by my friend. Surprisingly, Alan was alone in his own home. He explained that his parents were out for the day and are spending time together. It was Mrs. Dunston who suggested that because one it was away for her husband not to run off and gamble and drink, and two because maybe she can persuade him to cease his awful habits. Mr. Dunston silently agreed and the two left leaving Alan to tend to the house.
 
Alan said he was relieved to hear that his dad won't be going on some drinking excursion. Alan then asked me what I was doing before coming to his house, and basically I told him how I met Kayla first before moving to today's events. I told him everything, minus the part where Kayla kissed my forehead today as well as what Kayla did to me at the diner.

After finishing my little tale, Alan stared into space looking thoughtful. I tilted my head to the side. "Um Alan... hello?"

Alan snapped out of it and then laughed a little. "My bad, Mia. Sounds like you're having a good time with her." I felt myself blush, hoping that he didn't notice. Alan continued. "Which is why I think you should have stayed with her. I know you mean well, and I appreciate it but I assure you, if anything, ANYTHING, is bothering me I promise I'll come to you for help."

I sighed. "Alright. But what's done is done. I'm here now so you might as well forget trying to get rid of me," I joked.

 "If I wanted to get rid of you, I would have done that way back in elementary school," he retorted. I stuck my tongue out at him. "How childish. I thought you would have grown up by now."

"Childish? Me? Ahem. Who still plays Pokemon? And if I'm childish, my brain would be equivalent to one. Which brings up another point: Who got a higher SAT score in sophomore year?" Alan scowled at me. I smiled triumphantly.

"Whatever... You and your SAT prep books and classes..."

"Hey they help. Not to mention its important when you apply for college," I pointed out.

"Then why not help me with my homework so I can save money?" he suggested.

"Mmm.... nah I'll pass."

Alan began sulking. "I hate you."

"Sure you do," I said, smirking.

"Go back to Kayla."

I was taken aback by the comeback, yet I refused to give in. "Maybe I will if that's what you want."

"Hah. I guess it is pretty easy to get rid of you if I try." This time it was his turn to smirk. I frowned and glared at him. He glared back. Our heated glares felt intense and if we were in an anime you'd see sparks from our eyes clashing between us.

Yet out of nowhere Alan burst into a fit of laughter, breaking the serious atmosphere.

I didn't get it. Wait let me correct myself: I
don't get it. But seeing Alan happier than he has been in so long makes me happy.

Still.... I can't help but feel that we have a really weird friendship.
-----------------------------------------
 
A/N: It's been so long since I've updated, sorry. AP classes have been killing me lately as well as taking up my time. If you're still sticking with this story, thank you very much. I'm sure I'll be updating sooner since winter break is coming close for me. Again feedback and reviews are appreciated. ~ Kiwi Wings