Outlaw Star Fan Fiction ❯ Crystal Gems ❯ Vol 2: Chap 16. Dragon Chase ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Dragon Chase
Demons aren't the only ones after the Crystal Dragon. Humans crave the power as well.
Saturday Night:
The scent of the dragon teased her nose. For months, she had been chasing such a power. And now, she had found it. The current state of the beast made things much easier. Three gems with three children bearers, this should be a cinch, she thought. She sped up her ship and flew forward to Sentinel III.
Sunday Morning:
Jim found himself woken up by a thud to the chest. He jerked his eyes open and looked around. The black body crystal sank heavy to his chest. What is it?, Jim thought. He tried to sit up, but the gem forced him back down onto his bed. It started to drain his breath.
Stop it!, Jim pleaded in his mind. Stop it! Stop trying to kill me! I have been taking clear of you, remember? Suddenly, the crystal's heavy force began to weaken. Jim caught his breath. His eyes trailed upwards to the ceiling.
What was that all about?, he thought. Then, his phone rang. The boy reached over to the nightstand and answered it.
“Hello?” he asked.
“I'm so sorry to call you this late,” a small voice said on the other line. Jim shot sitting up.
“Lizzie?” he asked. “What's the matter?”
“Did you feel that?” she asked.
“You mean…” he began to say.
“Yeah,” Lizzie replied. “I called Ruthie and asked if she felt it too.”
“What did she say?”
“She felt the same thing too.”
Jim paused for a long moment. “What could this all possibly mean?”
“You think someone has found us and wants the dragon?”
“Who?”
Lizzie shrugged over the phone. “I don't know. Just anyone who wants the dragon.”
Jim went silent there. She did have a point. The beast choose them out of all the people on Sentinel to guard it. So now, they had to deal with it until God knows when.
“So what do we do?” Lizzie asked. Jim shook his head over the phone.
“I don't know,” he said. “Just watch your back and don't trust anyone else around you.”
“Will that really help?” the Heart asked.
Jim shrugged on the other line. “That's all we can do at the moment.” Lizzie didn't speak at first.
“I guess so,” she said.
“Anything else?” Jim asked.
“No,” the Heart answered. The Body took a heavy breath out.
“Can I go back to sleep now?” he asked. Lizzie chuckled a bit.
“Yes, yes,” she said.
“Thanks,” the leader said.
“Night,” the heart told him. Jim smiled and shook his head on the other line.
“Good night,” he whispered. They both hung up. Jim lied back on his bed and closed his eyes to try and sleep again. That's if the gem would grant him the permission to do so.
Sunday Morning, 10:00 a.m.:
She walked into the city as the lazy sun traveled the sky. The scent of dragon teased her deeper into the city. It is closer!, she thought. She could hear it calling out to her. Oh, that mighty dragon. She had heard about back on Mars thirteen years old. At first, she thought it only to be a legend. But in recent years since it resurfaced, everyone wanted to hunt it down again. She couldn't resist the thrill of the chase. But, the dragon's power alone wasn't alone to tempt her into the hunt. It was the chase and challenge that preceded it. This pirate had grown up as a fighter. She engaged in battle every chance that she got. The girl gained a reputation as she grew into the woman that she was today. Pretty soon, fighting on Mars bored her. So, it was off to find something new. Enter the dragon.
Now, the pirate just trailed that great beast deeper into the city. She dreamed about encountering the bearers with every step of the way. She could almost taste the victory flooding her mouth. The pirate closed her eyes and smirked. A pulse beat shot through her mind like a spark of electricity. She quickly jerked her eyes wide open.
It's near by, she thought. The pirate raced towards the dragon's beating pulse. The taste jumped in her mouth like beating drums.
Later…